Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 187 - AVS Forum
First ... 185  186  187 188  189  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
wase4711's Avatar wase4711 11:59 AM 02-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Nothing really new in that link, Bill, but thanks for sharing anyway.  I think the most important take-away is this:  "This is all happening in the background for consumers. The intricacies of peering, content delivery networks, and congestion don’t register — all subscribers know is Netflix doesn’t work as well as it used to."

The frightening thing is that as we ramp up to stream massive 4K programs, the network load gets much worse.  At some point, someone has to pay for the increased bandwidth that will be required, which will entail more infrastructure.  Net neutrality becomes a real issue, and we as consumers will ultimately pay more.  The (relatively) free ride is almost over, unfortunately.

As much as I detest government intrusion on every aspect of our life, this is one thing I wish they would stick their big noses into...as the Internet becomes more of an ingrained, every day aspect of everyone's' life, we need to government to somehow ensure that the comcrap/verizon/att of the world, aren't allowed to choke out anyone who offers a viable, affordable alternative to their bloated, overpriced offerings..

MultimediaGeek's Avatar MultimediaGeek 12:02 PM 02-21-2014
Quote:

Well, one thing I have learned from this thread is that purchasing a very expensive, high-end television set is an emotional decision.  If only the decision were easier!

Agreed
HDTVAV's Avatar HDTVAV 12:17 PM 02-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

Wasn't being condescending. But looking at your posts it seems you have a habit of asking for advice and then attacking people who give it to you. So have fun spending your $5,000 that you can easily afford.

Please refer to ONE post in which I "attacked" anyone who gave me advice...

It's never happened...

abeslu's Avatar abeslu 12:30 PM 02-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeslu View Post

Nope, If the sony x900 were truly upscaling everything to 4k, it would be displaying everything @ 30hz, and not 60hz, it is only filling the screen with a cheap bilinear interpolation algorithm, at least seems that is better than the one used by other manufacturers, the same does a normal full HD tv to fill the screen with a 720p source, but that´s not a true bicubic type upscaling, to see how looks a true 1080p to 4k upscaling you need a PC and create a custom resolution with 1080p and 3840 x 2160 active pixels @30hz. About the display button I think It displays not the input resolution but the display resolution, for example if you send a 2560x1440 resolution, the tv jumps to 3840 x 2160, and it displays that resolution but not 2560.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrozdowski View Post

That's not how it works. smile.gif

An LCD will always render the image at the native resolution. It will upscale to fill it in if you are sending a smaller resolution than the native resolution of the panel. This is not unique to 4k panels - does the same with 1080p - even with computer monitors.

To test it - plug your computer into your TV with HDMI - choose the 3840x2160 resolution and then run your test. Display won't show a 2560x1440 resolution unless you chose that scaled resolution as output on your video card.

I think you and me more or less agree that the tv scale the image to fill the screen if the resolution is lesser than the native resolution of the panel, in this case the native resolution is 3840x2160@ 30hz, the tv does NOT render everything at the native resolution because if the x900a were truly up - scaling everything with a high quality and more processor intensive bicubic filter, to the native UHD resolution of the panel, everything you feed to the tv were running in 2160p @ 30hz and not 60hz.

It is easier to notice this with a pc with smaller details like fonts, or icons. With bluray or lesser resolution is harder to notice this, and is harder to notice too if your receiver upscale to UHD with a lesser and processor frendly bilinear filter *up-scaling*. Regarding 2560x1440, the tv don´t support that resolution, so it will jump automatically to UHD, maybe you´re refering to downsampling in 1080p? smile.gif
abeslu's Avatar abeslu 01:48 PM 02-21-2014
Quote:

The native resolution of the panel is 3840x2160 @ 120Hz.

Yes the internal panel refresh is 120hz, but the signal frame rate is 30hz @ 2160p, and is 60hz @ 1080p, so the 2160p upscaling should be returned @ 30hz nor 120hz nor 60hz.
tdrozdowski's Avatar tdrozdowski 01:48 PM 02-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

As much as I detest government intrusion on every aspect of our life, this is one thing I wish they would stick their big noses into...as the Internet becomes more of an ingrained, every day aspect of everyone's' life, we need to government to somehow ensure that the comcrap/verizon/att of the world, aren't allowed to choke out anyone who offers a viable, affordable alternative to their bloated, overpriced offerings..

I wonder if this is part of the reasoning behind Google's desire to expand Google Fiber more quickly. Provide some competition for these guys. Ideally we wouldn't need this regulation if we had enough competition. People would drop the ISPs that play these BS games and go with those that didn't. But clearly that's not the case now and I agree - something needs to be done to either create more competition or force these guys to behave.
wase4711's Avatar wase4711 01:57 PM 02-21-2014
I only wish the Google Fiber was coming to chicagoland; I see you're in Phoenix, looks like you are a lucky soon to be fiber client!
tdrozdowski's Avatar tdrozdowski 01:59 PM 02-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

I only wish the Google Fiber was coming to chicagoland; I see you're in Phoenix, looks like you are a lucky soon to be fiber client!

Well, Phoenix - the city, not the metro - is 517 sq miles. I don't know if Google plans to get fiber to the whole thing - or just downtown. It'd be quite a feat to get it to the whole thing (which may be why we're on the list) and I'll be quite happy if that's the case. But since I live around 20 miles north of downtown - and I'm still in city limits - I kinda doubt I'll be able to get this service soon. But I'm hopeful. smile.gif
wase4711's Avatar wase4711 02:11 PM 02-21-2014
at least you have reason for hope; I am stuck with only Com crap or ATT Universe to choose from...bad or worse.
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 02:17 PM 02-21-2014
Google fiber is schedule for Austin this year as well. TWC announced today that they will be increasing the bandwidth to existing customers at no additional charge. For example, my 15mbs connection will go to 50mbs, same price. I guess they are trying to prevent an exodus to Google when it becomes available.
wase4711's Avatar wase4711 02:25 PM 02-21-2014
you planning on moving to Google if/when its available?
MultimediaGeek's Avatar MultimediaGeek 02:40 PM 02-21-2014
Quote:

An LCD can only display a single resolution and a single refresh rate. Every signal has to be scaled to match those. In this case all signals are being scaled to 3840x2160p and 120Hz. Thru the motion options you have the choice of duplicating frames to make it appear like the original signal (whether its 24, 30 or 60Hz) or you can have the TV create new frames in between those frames. Either way what you are seeing is 120Hz no matter what.

Makes me wonder how they handle 960 on the 900A? Unless its the lighting function too?
MultimediaGeek's Avatar MultimediaGeek 04:54 PM 02-21-2014
Found an interesting link about motionflow:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1343952/motionflow-xr-240-480-960
MultimediaGeek's Avatar MultimediaGeek 05:01 PM 02-21-2014
Guessing here!!!

So I am gathering that the picture data changes only as fast as the frame rate of the panel (e.g. 120HZ or 240 HZ) by whatever interpolation / calculation method Sony uses to fill in the missing information. But then the backlighting or edgelighting is also interpolated / calculated at an even higher rate to produce 960 Hz so produce an even smooter and tighter transition between screen data???

and thus the full (850b) vs the edge (900b)vs the array (950b) lighting will be .... well let us first determine what is actually happening.

which might also explaing how the 850b is only motion flow 240 ... or maybe not lol

waiting for a real geek to help us out here.
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 06:31 PM 02-21-2014
:)Sorry, slightly OT, but has anyone been watching Masterpiece Classic (Downton Abbey) on PBS HD? With such breathtaking scenery, I would expect the PQ to be stunning, but instead I find it has a lot of ghosting artifacts, especially on facial close-ups. I'm curious whether it is the quality of my local PBS feed to DirecTV, or whether the actual program source is flawed. I plan to record it OTA for the final episode to see if there is any difference.

If anyone is watching this program, or perhaps has an episode on the DVR, I would be interested in feedback. I know it isn't my calibration! cool.gif
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 06:42 PM 02-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultimediaGeek View Post

Found an interesting link about motionflow:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1343952/motionflow-xr-240-480-960

It is an interesting read, but TBH I still have Motionflow set to off. I have been watching a lot of Winter Olympics, especially ice hockey (heartbreak frown.gif ), and I have not noticed any distracting motion artifacts.

What are others observing WRT motion artifacts and Motionflow settings?
flinchn's Avatar flinchn 07:13 PM 02-21-2014
Random thought :

Since critics of 4k displays claim you have to be so (or too) close to the set to see any palpable difference with a 1080p set (something I do not agree with), does that mean they would think a 1080p handheld a waste?
Craig Whitmore's Avatar Craig Whitmore 07:40 PM 02-21-2014

I have a 65 4K Sony TV (I'm in New Zealand) and was wondering if the NZ/AU Sony 4K TV's can do HDCP 2.2 needed for the FMP-X1 to work. I don't really want to spend the $$ then find out it won't do it.

Has anyone tried a FMP-X1 with a non-USA 4K TV and it works (ignoring you need to get a VPN to the states for it to recognise you are in NZ like you need to do for netflix etc)

Thanks

LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 07:47 PM 02-21-2014
Quote:

...has anyone been watching Masterpiece Classic (Downton Abbey) on PBS HD? With such breathtaking scenery, I would expect the PQ to be stunning, but instead I find it has a lot of ghosting artifacts, especially on facial close-ups. I'm curious whether it is the quality of my local PBS feed to DirecTV, or whether the actual program source is flawed. I plan to record it OTA for the final episode to see if there is any difference.

If anyone is watching this program, or perhaps has an episode on the DVR, I would be interested in feedback. I know it isn't my calibration! cool.gif

Jerry,

It t'aint you. I get two HD PBS stations, one from Ft Lauderdale, and one from Palm Beach.

Neither is all that terrific on most programs, but is truly disappointing on Downton Abbey. WPBT has better sound, but worse picture than WXEL, the Ft Lauderdale affiliate. Even the lead-in with Laura Linney is unimpressive video.

Friend loaned me the DVD for Season 4, which is produced as the Original UK Edition, but is far from being a good looking transfer.

PBS affiliates are running some seriously old equipment, which is why they have their "Beg-a-thons" so often. Years ago I worked at WNET in New York (and I mean years ago, 1974) and they were barely pushing 1960's technology.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 08:05 PM 02-21-2014

Thanks for confirming, Lee.  It is a shame such high-quality programming doesn't have the PQ to compliment it.

OTOH, the Olympics were spectacular!  Hats off to both Canadian teams for providing some nail-bitingly good entertainment!

CSPerera's Avatar CSPerera 02:14 AM 02-22-2014
As far as I am aware the FMP-X1 will not work outside the United States as most of the online content that is used for it to work is region locked to the US. Finding a backdoor such as ip address hiding etc doesn't apparently work. Sony has apparently seen to that.
Craig Whitmore's Avatar Craig Whitmore 02:46 AM 02-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post

As far as I am aware the FMP-X1 will not work outside the United States as most of the online content that is used for it to work is region locked to the US. Finding a backdoor such as ip address hiding etc doesn't apparently work. Sony has apparently seen to that.

Didn't really answer my question.. But yes I am aware of Geo Locking Content .

LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 05:49 AM 02-22-2014
"Consumers’ troubles with online video may be subsiding — at least for Comcast customers. Comcast and Netflix appear to have resolved their differences over network peering, which has frustrated many Netflix users over the last few months with slow, intermittent service as a result of the dispute over the business of interconnecting networks."

http://gigaom.com/2014/02/21/comcast-netflix-peering/

This can't come too soon as my evening Netflix signal has been 1080 Super HD "free" since December.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
jjnbos's Avatar jjnbos 05:55 AM 02-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Whitmore View Post

Didn't really answer my question.. But yes I am aware of Geo Locking Content .

I can only speculate, but I will speculate that all the sets sold in the last 6 months have HDCP 2.2. IMHO that post consumer purchase board swap was simply a manufacturing defect and/or engineering didn't have time to finish everything before the ship date.

As fas as I know HDCP is something that all the content providers insist on, so every TV needs it...

---

As far as spending a lot of cycles getting the X1 to work overseas;

I have to assume that Sony wants to make as much money as possible and will get some sort of 4k media solution that works world wide out to consumers ASAP. And the X1 was a burnt pancake with many many issues. So I'd advise giving it a rest until an "X2" or such is available.

That being said, having spent $5k on a TV I had an uncontrollable urge to see what 4k looked like and spent $700 and literally 40 hours of my life debugging the WiFi/Internet problems it caused my TV. Having then watched the demos and a few of the 10 free movies; it now is an unused input on my TV. If I knew then what I know now, I would -NOT- have wasted the $700 and more importantly the time and energy on the X1. I guess...

YMMV
rockaway1836's Avatar rockaway1836 05:55 AM 02-22-2014
Quote:

:)Sorry, slightly OT, but has anyone been watching Masterpiece Classic (Downton Abbey) on PBS HD? With such breathtaking scenery, I would expect the PQ to be stunning, but instead I find it has a lot of ghosting artifacts, especially on facial close-ups. I'm curious whether it is the quality of my local PBS feed to DirecTV, or whether the actual program source is flawed. I plan to record it OTA for the final episode to see if there is any difference.

Jerry, I'm not seeing any ghosting or artifacts from my local PBS staion. However,it does not hold a candle to watching it on Blu-ray.
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 06:42 AM 02-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

That being said, having spent $5k on a TV I had an uncontrollable urge to see what 4k looked like and spent $700 and literally 40 hours of my life debugging the WiFi/Internet problems it caused my TV. Having then watched the demos and a few of the 10 free movies; it now is an unused input on my TV. If I knew then what I know now, I would -NOT- have wasted the $700 and more importantly the time and energy on the X1. I guess...

YMMV

+1
wase4711's Avatar wase4711 06:46 AM 02-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

I can only speculate, but I will speculate that all the sets sold in the last 6 months have HDCP 2.2. IMHO that post consumer purchase board swap was simply a manufacturing defect and/or engineering didn't have time to finish everything before the ship date.

As fas as I know HDCP is something that all the content providers insist on, so every TV needs it...

---

As far as spending a lot of cycles getting the X1 to work overseas;

I have to assume that Sony wants to make as much money as possible and will get some sort of 4k media solution that works world wide out to consumers ASAP. And the X1 was a burnt pancake with many many issues. So I'd advise giving it a rest until an "X2" or such is available.

YMMV

I'm glad I only paid 100 for mine..
I havent looked at it in awhile, and upon turning it on this am, I noticed that most of my 10 "free" movies were gone, which I wasnt happy about.
Also, I thought I had fixed it so I could listen to the sound through my Martin Logans, but, when I tried to listen through them, there was no sound, again...works fine through the tv speakers, but once again, the sound issue through the home theater..
I know I had it working a few weeks ago, but one of the recent firmware updates may have done something.

I can see how folks who spent 700 bucks for this thing would be really pissed off about how it works..
flinchn's Avatar flinchn 10:07 AM 02-22-2014
I don't use my X1 much either. It's number one function is to use it as a response to all the people who say, 'Why would you get a 4k set, there's no content!
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 10:19 AM 02-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

I don't use my X1 much either. It's number one function is to use it as a response to all the people who say, 'Why would you get a 4k set, there's no content!

I was at a home show yesterday, and there were two booths where they were featuring the Sony 4K. Both had the X1, one with a 55/850 and the other with a 65/850.

I recommended they check out "Eldorado" and both ended up using that for demo, at least for the rest of the time I was strolling around.

I still go 50/50 on the X1.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
DirtHerder's Avatar DirtHerder 10:51 AM 02-22-2014
Has no one else signed up for the year of HuluPlus?

:-/
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtHerder View Post

That's OK, I appreciate the response anyway.

Does anyone else have experience with setting up the 1 year of HuluPlus (regarding where I can find the "Learn More" button from the instructions for redeeming the code)?

Tags: Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
First ... 185  186  187 188  189  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop