Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 205 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6121 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

I was wondering the same thing, my bd player, and AVR all are capable of upscaling to 4k; what happens when you turn them all ON, and you get "triple" up scaling"? (If there even is such a term!)eek.gif

Well I was being kind of a prat because the previous poster claimed that seemingly all other HT components can *truly* upscale to 4k except for the 4k TV. You need an AVR with 4k pass through to put 4k from a BD player that is upscaling in. My Onkyo doesn't have this but a safe rule of thumb is to upscale only once and I know I'm not the only one happy with or prefer the TV to do it. Yet, my Oppo 103 also has a recognized quality 4k upscaler - i just dont think its as good as the Sony. I would think AVRs with pass through would not reapply an upscaling process to a 4k signal, nor the Sony panel itself.

Again, if you buy into the fact that the Sony IS upscaling every input signal, then it makes a lot of sense to me that its stellar at what it does. Did anyone buy this set without at least bothering to find out how well it handled 99.9% of all video content?

I believe there is also some agreement that 1080p is the best source for the TV's scaler, although if you are upscaling cable or sat to 1080p prior, then you already broke rule of thumb 1. smile.gif

Plus I have a Darblet without 4k pass through and the benefits of that definitely outweigh upscaling earlier in the chain. But that's a whole other topic.

**Guess the thread has some activity now. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

Um. I have both a 4k upscaling Bluray player Oppo 103 and AVR Onkyo 818. Neither models are slouches. I, and others agreed that the scaler in the TV is better in this regard. (Or should I just turn them all on throughout the chain so I have super super real upscaling?)

If you have documentation describing the upscaling tech used by high end graphics cards then let's see it. I would highly suspect its a software solution, not hardware like this TV has.

We come here every few weeks for the better part of a year and debate whether or not the 4k videos on YouTube are coming to us on the app in 4k or 1080p! That's how good the scaler is on the set. A lot of us have true 4k content via the X1 media server so it's not like we are just poking around in the dark.

I'm not reiterating myself anymore or reposting links that clearly describe their 4k upscaling technology from a Sony spokesman.

If you read this thread this shouldn't be news to you.

'Did not mean to ruffle any feathers. I am of the belief that some companies tell you a consumer what you want to hear so they get the sales they need. If the tv tags the the input as 4k (4096x2160) then I believe there is 4k (upscaling or native) happening just like it does when I use my bluray player and PC and believe me, it is a much better picture. Netflix via my PC is simply amazing, I dont even bother with the tv app anymore. Maybe you should try the PC solution and see for yourself.

PS

I have the X1 also. 

post #6123 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x21inc View Post

'Did not mean to ruffle any feathers. I am of the belief that some companies tell you a consumer what you want to hear so they get the sales they need. If the tv tags the the input as 4k (4096x2160) then I believe there is 4k (upscaling or native) happening just like it does when I use my bluray player and PC and believe me, it is a much better picture. Netflix via my PC is simply amazing, I dont even bother with the tv app anymore. Maybe you should try the PC solution and see for yourself.

PS
I have the X1 also. 

And I find the streaming apps to similarly be upscaled by the set in a remarkable and quality fashion. I see no difference between my Netflix apps whether it comes from my Xbox 360, or Oppo 103, or PS4, or the TV itself. Why? Because I've calibrated.

In fact, this is my point. They all should look the same because they are the same signal all going through the same calibration and upscaler. And they all look better than 1080p on other sets. (Thank you Netflix and Comcast for paying each other off, because this was not always so)

I'm happy for those that want to and can PC game on this set. But I have too many games for 3 different platforms and the types I play for PC are just fine on my gaming rig. I'm not moving it into the TV room, even if it means I lose this argument in front of all of you. =b

I'm probably just ruffling my own feathers. No woorries, mate. This has all been covered here ad nauseam over the last several months. Everyone else is just letting me go on. wink.gif
post #6124 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't really even remember this conversation much, but i think I'm even more confused. Are you now proposing that the TV does not upscale every signal to 4k and the display button on the remote reflects the output through the panel and not the input signal resolution?

You know what happens on a computer monitor when you pick a low resolution for your desktop but don't choose to set your monitor/graphics card to scale to the native resolution of the panel - a small box. So maybe you are saying the 4k TV just zooms in on the small box that would be 1080p, for instance? That would look pretty garish and I don't think a fake scaling processor on top of it would help that at all, brilliant marketing beside the point.

The TV panel, as I understand it, has a native resolution just like monitors do.
So yes it extrapolates 4 pixels out of 1 from 1080 and yes it does a bunch of other things to present, at a minimum, a watchable picture for HD and SD sources. I'm am of the opinion that what is going on is far more advanced than that, and I tend to believe the details I posted above- why wouldn't I? I've never seen a 1080p panel look anywhere close to my set in PQ especially clarity.
That doesn't mean I don't think 4k @ 60 input will make a discernible difference, I have no idea- and its not too important to me since I have a whole separate gaming PC setup in another room which is fine for me and my 360 and PS4 are in my HT. I don't know if 60hz=60fps since i think i read there is a difference but i don't like game that low anyway when I can avoid it - but I'm also not going to give up my consoles because of it. I can't make out your pics well but that might be half my fault because my iPhone screen is filthy.

Further than that tho, I think it is safe to say Sony HAD to invest in a good scaler tech- considering there was no real 4k content when they released these models. So if you think the sources I posted was so much marketing hype, then that's your prerogative. I'm not a shill for the manufacturer.

What I think is that the tv scale the signal or do a *zoom* to fill the screen like the wide function does with inputs with lower than native resolutions, (1080P @ 60hz and lower), the tv does the filling with a better algorithms than other manufacturers because it looks better, but still is not up-scaling everything to the native 4k or UHD, even my Dell Ultra Sharp monitor does this, if you turn on the option, it fills the entire screen when feeded with lower resolutions, and it looks as good as the Sony one, (maybe better because the smaller screen size) but that doesn´t mean that the monitor is always upscaling or running at the native 2560x1600, I haven´t tested other sources, but in a PC, If you send a 1080P upscaled to UHD by the graphics card to the tv, the image looks much much better, maybe It could be the same with a bluray doing the scaling to UHD not the tv, all depends of the quality of the scaler I think.

The illusion of clarity we have in this 4k tvs is because the pixel density of the panel, being unable to see the pixels give us the illusion of clarity, not the up-scaling, is like a more analog experience, to me my full HD W950A looks better with my PS4, but you can´t compare anything to games like crysis 3 @ 4k, they look awesome.

post #6125 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 10:54 AM

Hey lol I love this thread as much as we all do. I hope I am not perceived as starting an argument here by anyone. I come hear to learn new things about the set and share my experiences with others. I just got this video card recently and was amazed at the improvement in looks of all the movies I play from the PC. I dont even game at all, the PC is used as a HTPC. I actually dont see a reason paying for sony's 4k movies via the X1 thanks to the tvs upscaling abilities from the two sources I mentioned earlier. 

Cheers to all! 

post #6126 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeslu View Post

What I think is that the tv scale the signal or do a *zoom* to fill the screen like the wide function does with inputs with lower than native resolutions, (1080P @ 60hz and lower), the tv does the filling with a better algorithms than other manufacturers because it looks better, but still is not up-scaling everything to the native 4k or UHD, even my Dell Ultra Sharp monitor does this, if you turn on the option, it fills the entire screen when feeded with lower resolutions, and it looks as good as the Sony one, (maybe better because the smaller screen size) but that doesn´t mean that the monitor is always upscaling or running at the native 2560x1600, I haven´t tested other sources, but in a PC, If you send a 1080P upscaled to UHD by the graphics card to the tv, the image looks much much better, maybe It could be the same with a bluray doing the scaling to UHD not the tv, all depends of the quality of the scaler I think.

The illusion of clarity we have in this 4k tvs is because the pixel density of the panel, being unable to see the pixels give us the illusion of clarity, not the up-scaling, is like a more analog experience, to me my full HD W950A looks better with my PS4, but you can´t compare anything to games like crysis 3 @ 4k, they look awesome.

There is no way it's zooming in on a 1080p image a quarter of the panels size,then 'enhancing' it. none. It would never approach the clarity of native 1080p panels of the same size. Remember even Windows would remind you that your experience was going to suck if you set your resolution at less than the native res? Just put that to bed.

I'm starting to really worry you guys have defects or settings issues with your sets since you disagree so vehemently. There is no one i know even close as sensitive to this stuff than me. I can't see a TV in public or private, from hotel rooms to sports bars I don't want to calibrate because the state of them bothers me so much. I'm a little insane.

I'm not trying to make myself feel better about my large purchase. If I had a gripe about PQ in any respect I would be screaming bloody murder here.

And it's been a while but I'm almost positive computer monitor LCDs allow you to scale a smaller res image to native res in a few different ways, not just one for zooming. But again, prove to me that isn't a software driver.

Aaand...I'm spent. wink.gif
post #6127 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x21inc View Post

. I actually dont see a reason paying for sony's 4k movies via the X1

Cheers to all! 

Now THAT we can agree on. LOL
post #6128 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:

There is no way it's zooming in on a 1080p image a quarter of the panels size,then 'enhancing' it. none. It would never approach the clarity of native 1080p panels of the same size. Remember even Windows would remind you that your experience was going to suck if you set your resolution at less than the native res? Just put that to bed.

I'm starting to really worry you guys have defects or settings issues with your sets since you disagree so vehemently. There is no one i know even close as sensitive to this stuff than me. I can't see a TV in public or private, from hotel rooms to sports bars I don't want to calibrate because the state of them bothers me so much. I'm a little insane.

I'm not trying to make myself feel better about my large purchase. If I had a gripe about PQ in any respect I would be screaming bloody murder here.

And it's been a while but I'm almost positive computer monitor LCDs allow you to scale a smaller res image to native res in a few different ways, not just one for zooming. But again, prove to me that isn't a software driver.

Aaand...I'm spent. wink.gif

Yes, you can zoom to 1080p image with or without bilinear interpolation, have you ever played a 256 × 224 N64 game on a full HD tv?, if it wasn´t posible, for example in a game, how you can see all the textures so far and then so close that they fill the entire screen, like getting your character infront of a big wall or something, some textures used in old games are 512x512 pixels or smaller, still you can get very close to them without pixellation, with bilinear or trilinear interpolation they look blurry but not pixellated, and 1080p is a very good resolution to stretch it along the entire screen of the tv, for example have you seen the graphics mode in the 84x900a? it does not add a bilinear filter to HD sources, and they look a little pixelated but cleaner, the 65 and 55 versions always add the bilinear filtering to all modes in HD or lower.

All the PC monitors I have had does not even had the option for the scaling, they do automatically for lower resolutions, only a few had it, and It wasn´t a software driver issue because in the Dell you can strech the image even in the Bios post or another source, yes my tv is calibrated, I agree with you about the tvs on the wild, they always tend to look very bad due bad settings, including the ones in the store. smile.gif
post #6129 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Abeslu. I did have a thought. Take a look at this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/56149-3-does-running-lower-native-resolution-affect-picture

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1660778/run-game-native-resolution-lower-monitor.html

These readily located threads would suggest to me that graphic card scalers actually suck compared to the 4k Sony's.
You either run at native res, or you scale and introduce aspect ratio issues or artifacts, or you run in a window with a lower res.

I think maybe something else is going on on the PC side. You said you only compared signals from the PC as a source.

What is your computer monitor's native res? Is it 4k? Are there any attributes you can either reference or adjust when your PC registers the Sony as a monitor?

What could be happening (and yes this is quite a theory) is that your video driver is confused (no, drivers never get confused lol) or the res you output needs to be the native res of the expectant monitor (or what the operating system thinks is correct) for optimum picture quality output. Which would change the PQ perceptively when you send less than the native res- all before it gets to the TV

Hey. Even if I'm way off- I tried. Sorry if I came off as argumentative. No sleep last night.
post #6130 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, you can zoom to 1080p image with or without bilinear interpolation, have you ever played a 256 × 224 N64 game on a full HD tv?, if it wasn´t posible, for example in a game, how you can see all the textures so far and then so close that they fill the entire screen, like getting your character infront of a big wall or something, some textures used in old games are 512x512 pixels or smaller, still you can get very close to them without pixellation, with bilinear or trilinear interpolation they look blurry but not pixellated, and 1080p is a very good resolution to stretch it along the entire screen of the tv, for example have you seen the graphics mode in the 84x900a? it does not add a bilinear filter to HD sources, and they look a little pixelated but cleaner, the 65 and 55 versions always add the bilinear filtering to all modes in HD or lower.

All the PC monitors I have had does not even had the option for the scaling, they do automatically for lower resolutions, only a few had it, and It wasn´t a software driver issue because in the Dell you can strech the image even in the Bios post or another source, yes my tv is calibrated, I agree with you about the tvs on the wild, they always tend to look very bad due bad settings, including the ones in the store. smile.gif

Sorry. Didn't see this before I responded. Ill leave it there, but yes I have every emulator from Atari 2600 to PS2 plus arcade and I happily play them on my 4k TV with matrixed 9.1 surround. smile.gif
They look great, but only to a certain extent from the emulators built in upscaling to 1080i and interpolation settings (again, software not hardware). My Panny HD plasma I had before this was more than suitable, but the enhanced experience after going through the 4k upscaler in the Sony is palpable. (Yes, I insist) no blurriness no pixelation pristine - if you read a few posts above it is quite clear that pixel scaling and interpolation algorithms are just the very beginning stage of what the TV does to Hd and SD signals

Anyway, Good luck.

Edit: I should clarify that all of my emulators are on a modded original XBOX, not my PC.
post #6131 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 12:53 PM

Liked: 14
Hi Flinchn :

Not to change the subject but I am considering purchasing a darblet. Can you tell the difference with and without the darblet in the chain. I have a pioneer Elite receiver vsx-52 and Oppo 93 Blu ray with the 65900A. Can you really see a difference ?

Anyone who owns a darblet and has it in the chain with the 900A set can comment on this if you please. I seriously am considering buying a darblet and would appreciate any inputs. Thanks

LOL

Norm L
post #6132 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norml4721 View Post

Hi Flinchn :

Not to change the subject but I am considering purchasing a darblet. Can you tell the difference with and without the darblet in the chain. I have a pioneer Elite receiver vsx-52 and Oppo 93 Blu ray with the 65900A. Can you really see a difference ?

LOL

Norm L

There is a subtle but pleasing difference on the perception of depth, pop, selective contrast and clarity. It is not a wholesale game changer, but a noninvasive artifact free (as long as you keep the levels low enough) bonus for your HT. If 300 bucks means something to you or your family you can probably do without. I have it processing all of my 1080p signals, doesn't work with 4k/X1.

Close up, you can see the effect and set desired levels. Back at viewing distance you may not think its doing much, but then turn it off after using it for awhile and your picture will seem washed out. It also enhances 3d if that means anything to you.

I think it was well worth it to pair with the 4k. One of the other posters on this board turned me on to it, I forget who but he's on regularly so he might chime in.
norml4721 likes this.
post #6133 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 630
I have been using a Darblet for several years, and feel it provides a worthwhile, if subtle, improvement in PQ. It's improvement is as easily noticeable on up-converted 4K material as it was on 1080p material before I upgraded to the x900.
post #6134 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 155
Quote:

There is a subtle but pleasing difference on the perception of depth, pop, selective contrast and clarity. It is not a wholesale game changer, but a noninvasive artifact free (as long as you keep the levels low enough) bonus for your HT. If 300 bucks means something to you or your family you can probably do without. I have it processing all of my 1080p signals, doesn't work with 4k/X1.

Close up, you can see the effect and set desired levels. Back at viewing distance you may not think its doing much, but then turn it off after using it for awhile and your picture will seem washed out. It also enhances 3d if that means anything to you.

I think it was well worth it to pair with the 4k. One of the other posters on this board turned me on to it, I forget who but he's on regularly so he might chime in.

Anyone else agree that sometimes too much processing/upscaling (such as using a darblet, etc), is not a good thing...?

I mean, I really do not want to see the open pores and pimples on peoples faces - some things are better left unseen...

:confused:

post #6135 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Anyone else agree that sometimes too much processing/upscaling (such as using a darblet, etc), is not a good thing...?

I mean, I really do not want to see the open pores and pimples on peoples faces - some things are better left unseen...

confused.gif

I always keep the level low enough not to introduce anything displeasing. There is extremely fine adjustment on the thing.

Also, it is some neat tech that prides itself on avoiding the processing look. no lag being put in the chain
post #6136 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Btw, don't go by comparison pictures you see on the site or in reviews. The effect is less dramatic unless you crank it up.
jjnbos likes this.
post #6137 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 02:16 PM

Liked: 14
Hi Guys :

Just went online and bought one. Just one more small piece. It's funny I was at my brother in laws for the weekend and he just purchased a new TV. I think it was LG. Middle of the line. He was raving about the set. I didn't have the hart to tell him I thought the picture needed help. You do not realize that once you get used to looking our set

YOU GET REALLY SPOILED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all the input.

Norm L
RiED27880 likes this.
post #6138 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Aha, the penny drops. I was scratching my head wondering how on earth it could show 1080p as a native input signal (because that's what I still believe it does) when it's clearly receiving, say, a 1680x1050 image, but your latter post with the sizing options says it all: the TV is clearly delivering the image within the boundaries of 1080p or 2160p (which is vaguely analogous to how 4:3 material is hard encoded inside a 16:9 frame for Blu-ray), so whichever is the closest resolution shows up on the info banner. And then by using those 'Full 1' or 'Full 2' settings, it can scale the image to fit the screen.

Still, it's entirely possible that using a PC to output a 1080p signal delivers a more finely resolved picture than a video-based 1080p signal - even though both are then being upscaled by the TV - because of how the sync timing differs, i.e. with a computer signal it bypasses some of the filtering which it does to an actual video signal.

Curiouser and curiouser...
post #6139 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norml4721 View Post

Hi Guys :

Just went online and bought one. Just one more small piece. It's funny I was at my brother in laws for the weekend and he just purchased a new TV. I think it was LG. Middle of the line. He was raving about the set. I didn't have the hart to tell him I thought the picture needed help. You do not realize that once you get used to looking our set

YOU GET REALLY SPOILED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all the input.

Norm L

Yeah you'll want to look up the Darbee thread in Video Processors if you haven't already. Very active and useful info - even if they are a little protective of their Darblets.
post #6140 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 03:02 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Anyone care to comment on the complaints that the X900A is not bight enough?

I believe it has to do with the Opticontrast panel. According to a Sony rep this panel was designed to not be as bright as the Deep Black Panel that is found in the x850 although with the benefit of deeper black levels. This is why Sony decided to make two separate panels so they could test what the consumers like best.

It seems that the consumers like BOTH panels because they decided to combine these two into one panel for the 2014 models.
post #6141 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynodon View Post

I believe it has to do with the Opticontrast panel. According to a Sony rep this panel was designed to not be as bright as the Deep Black Panel that is found in the x850 although with the benefit of deeper black levels. This is why Sony decided to make two separate panels so they could test what the consumers like best.

It seems that the consumers like BOTH panels because they decided to combine these two into one panel for the 2014 models.

Interesting. I go for black level any day, partly because I have controlled lighting and an LED backlight, but mostly because I hate gray bars. I even fashioned mattes to hang on my TVs back in the day for 2.35:1 films. Theaters, especially really bother me with the level of black they can attain.

But I think the X900a is plenty bright even in sunlight.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #6142 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynodon View Post

The question as to whether the display is "bright enough" has come up before, and has been discussed extensively.  With any properly-calibrated display, there is a "correct" brightness, as measured by the Luminance (you need a colorimeter to measure this).  Here are the Luminance values for various settings of the backlight control:

For a viewing room with controlled light (dimly lit, not dark like a dedicated home theater), the recommended Luminance setting is approximately 40.  As you can see, you can dial up the Luminance significantly above 40 if you increase the backlight setting.  A luminance of 55 would be very bright, even in a room with a lot of light.

So, based on this data, I would conclude that complaints of the X900 not being bright enough are completely false.

jjnbos likes this.
post #6143 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

FWIW my colorimeter measured the exact same luminance for your backlight number.
post #6144 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

What pattern do you guys use for the measurement? 100% white?
post #6145 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

What pattern do you guys use for the measurement? 100% white?

Don't have it handy but I think so. It's gotta be a window though not full screen since there are going to be deviations across the screen. Though not as bad as plasma and their horrible Auto Brightness Limiter EcoRating-friendly baloney.
post #6146 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I've read several times that fields should be used for LCD/LED calibration, so that's what I do. On my 55X9 I get 36fL with a backlight of 2, contrast at 90, brightness at 50 using a 100% white pattern.

The X9 has plenty of brightness and more in reserve. Such 'complaints' about brightness need to be taken with a huge rock of salt.
post #6147 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Well said, Geoff. FWIW, CalMAN calls for the 100% Pattern Grey window from the AVS test disk for the Liminance measurement.
post #6148 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:

Sorry. Didn't see this before I responded. Ill leave it there, but yes I have every emulator from Atari 2600 to PS2 plus arcade and I happily play them on my 4k TV with matrixed 9.1 surround. smile.gif
They look great, but only to a certain extent from the emulators built in upscaling to 1080i and interpolation settings (again, software not hardware). My Panny HD plasma I had before this was more than suitable, but the enhanced experience after going through the 4k upscaler in the Sony is palpable. (Yes, I insist) no blurriness no pixelation pristine - if you read a few posts above it is quite clear that pixel scaling and interpolation algorithms are just the very beginning stage of what the TV does to Hd and SD signals

Anyway, Good luck.

Edit: I should clarify that all of my emulators are on a modded original XBOX, not my PC.

Wow, I haven´t tested an Atari 2600, I wish I had one, that was very good times, I just tested my N64 to the tv and I can barely see anything, not pixellation, but the resolution is sooo low, what I have noticed is that the tv deinterlace the signal very nicely, well anyway to me CRT will always be the very best. wink.gif

post #6149 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Aha, the penny drops. I was scratching my head wondering how on earth it could show 1080p as a native input signal (because that's what I still believe it does) when it's clearly receiving, say, a 1680x1050 image, but your latter post with the sizing options says it all: the TV is clearly delivering the image within the boundaries of 1080p or 2160p (which is vaguely analogous to how 4:3 material is hard encoded inside a 16:9 frame for Blu-ray), so whichever is the closest resolution shows up on the info banner. And then by using those 'Full 1' or 'Full 2' settings, it can scale the image to fit the screen.

Still, it's entirely possible that using a PC to output a 1080p signal delivers a more finely resolved picture than a video-based 1080p signal - even though both are then being upscaled by the TV - because of how the sync timing differs, i.e. with a computer signal it bypasses some of the filtering which it does to an actual video signal.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Yes I have this doubt about the display button, maybe you ´re right, it rounds the info the near the input are to an standard resolution like 720p, 1080p, or 2160p, what I don´t get is why If I send a resolution like 3200x1800@ 60hz it stills show 1080p.

To get a better 1080p output from the PC to the tv, the signal should be upscaled by the graphics card to UHD, so you´re sending a 4:4:4, 2160p @30hz signal to the tv, if you feed the tv with 1080p @ 60hz, I don´t think there are going to be much difference, maybe being 4:4:4, helps.
post #6150 of 10893 Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chiu View Post

To watch Youtube 4K native content on the Sony 4K sets in full 2160p, you need to use the Youtube app on the 4K TV.
use the remote and toggle to the build-in Youtube app, then search for "4K video".
Be warned that most tagged 4K videos on Youtube are not 2160p right now. Those that are has Youtube's "4K" balloon on the lower right when selected.
Happy hunting.

Erm - wait a second...

The Youtube app in the 900A can view the 4k files in 2160p? I tried some tonight and while they do look really good (at least a few that I confirmed to be 4k via hooking up my Macbook Pro directly to the TV to view) - I can't for the life of me get the TV to confirm the resolution it is playing them back at. Hitting the display button on the remote does nothing.

I know a while back someone confirmed this was playing back @1080p. Was there an update recently that changed this?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page