Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 217 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6481 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by norml4721 View Post

Hi Guys :

I received what appeared to be a software update. Checked the version software that the TV has and it showed PKG4.410AAA. this does not seem to be new to me. Is this the current version software or is this new ?

Thanks

Norm L

PKG 4401AAA is the newest and was released this week.

Update before that was Feb 7 with version PKG 4201AAA.

Sticky Netflix display issue was cleaned up during some covert action about three weeks ago and was done at "their" end.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
--- Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1 View Post

I don't know about you guys but when I utilize motion flow even on standard there are many scenes that I appreciate a certain choppiness with movement. So I generally leave it off.

From memory, the only thing set to "on" is "mastered in 4K."

All other picture options are "off" on my 65/900.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
--- Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #6483 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_himself View Post

Can anyone here tell me if the 65" Sony will accept 1080p/120hz frame-sequential OR a 1080p/60hz side-by-side (3840x1080) signal over HDMI 2.0?

Without getting into the weeds over my PC hardware's capabilities, let's just assume I have the ability to generate those 3D signal types. Can anyone here definitively answer the question above?

I dunno about the first one, but I can categorically tell you that the 2013 X9 range doesn't do 3D with a 4K (3840x****) signal of any kind, not frame-packed, not SBS, it won't even simulate 3D. And that's nothing to do with HDMI 2.0 by the way, it's a limitation of the set's own 3D processing hardware.
post #6484 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

@ mitico303

This set was outdated the moment we bought it, so I'm not too fussed about certain aspects. HEVC we will get in a standalone box, and it won't even need to be a special Sony "solution" because 4K BD will take care of that. Eventually...

The only thing that does concern me is the possible lack of HDCP 2.2 in the earliest Euro sets, and I had a feeling that Sony Italia would prove to be just as useless as SUK, which is why I never even bothered asking them at this end.

We're just gonna have to wait and see, though it'd be spectacularly stupid of Sony to leave it 'til the last minute, i.e. until 4K BD or a streaming/DL box is released. The one shred of hope I'm clinging to is that the Euro sets followed a couple of months after the US ones, so it's possible that the production lines may have been retooled to include whatever hardware was being rolled out on US doorsteps at that time.
post #6485 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

@ mitico303

This set was outdated the moment we bought it, so I'm not too fussed about certain aspects. HEVC we will get in a standalone box, and it won't even need to be a special Sony "solution" because 4K BD will take care of that. Eventually...

The only thing that does concern me is the possible lack of HDCP 2.2 in the earliest Euro sets, and I had a feeling that Sony Italia would prove to be just as useless as SUK, which is why I never even bothered asking them at this end.

We're just gonna have to wait and see, though it'd be spectacularly stupid of Sony to leave it 'til the last minute, i.e. until 4K BD or a streaming/DL box is released. The one shred of hope I'm clinging to is that the Euro sets followed a couple of months after the US ones, so it's possible that the production lines may have been retooled to include whatever hardware was being rolled out on US doorsteps at that time.

yes, absolutely, a good media player, that would still necessary to enjoy 4K contents as it should be, is a really good "solution" to the HEVC codecs lack..

the only unknown is, as you say, about the HDCP.. many pages ago I seemed to read about a different collocation of the HDMI 4 port (the one indicated to support that standard) on the earliest sets compared to our. it's possible that the hardware upgrade was necessary (for the X1 player) on that sets where the HDMI 4 was not on its own, unlike our sets, where is alone near the right side (looking from behind).. But someone needs to confirm this.

If so, probably our sets already supports the HDCP 2.2, or at least are ready to receive it, in one way or another..

But as you said, correctly, with a 4K media player with H.265 support, this TV will be completely powerful for a long time, waiting to see what will happen with the HDCP 2.2..
however, this fall we'll see what sony have in mind for us..

.. Sony KD-55X9005B ..​
post #6486 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

I see the network speed test application is back with this latest update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

Where?

I'm not at the set now, but the icon they used to have is pictured below. If it is not in the menu of applications, then the reason I'm now getting the "Screen and Network Test" application is because I had saved it in my application favorites. Is it not in the long list of apps anymore?

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
post #6487 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I guess i am the only one who doesn't need any 4K material. I never thought about 4K when i bought this set. I read reviews about the PQ, and that was enough for me. I never regret my choice. Silly me wink.gif

4K is nice to have. Nothing more...
post #6488 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru-Six View Post

I guess i am the only one who doesn't need any 4K material. I never thought about 4K when i bought this set. I read reviews about the PQ, and that was enough for me. I never regret my choice. Silly me wink.gif

ok, but if I pay for a 4K panel I don't think that is strange to want to see 4K contents on it..

.. Sony KD-55X9005B ..​
post #6489 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 07:39 AM

I mean, I think that most of us doesn't wanted this set because of its good PQ, but because it's a 4K TV.. and among the 4K TV options this probably is one of the best, so that's why we chose it.. I guess..

.. Sony KD-55X9005B ..​
post #6490 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone!

Does anyone of you know were I can find the SONY DEMO video of the FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil 2013 in 4k? I saw it on the official Sony Store in Barcelona but there is no way they can give it to me so... PLEASE HELP smile.gif

Thank you!
post #6491 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru-Six View Post

I would like 4K content, but I certainly don't need it. It'll be a great bonus as/when we Britishers finally get some. I bought this TV after being wowed by the 3D, to be honest. Couple that with seamless 1080p upscaling, virtually no banding or DSE and very respectable screen uniformity (yes, I tested all that stuff too before buying it!), plus the excellent (for TV wink.gif) speakers and I simply had to have it.

The 3D is what swayed it though, as I was thoroughly sick of the crosstalk and poor viewing angles of the active 3D in my HX823 (and trust me, the active 2014 Bravias are no better) and one look at the X9 blew me away. Yeah, the 55" is half-res 3D but I'll take superb passive 540p over crosstalk-ridden active 1080p any day of the week. Passive 1080p would be the ultimate of course, but I just haven't got the room for the 65".
post #6492 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitico303 View Post

ok, but if I pay for a 4K panel I don't think that is strange to want to see 4K contents on it..
No that is not strange, but there is little 4K content around......
post #6493 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 12:17 PM

Just a little patience my friends, we'll get to more 4k content soon enough. Considering we didn't get hd content till late 90's and more mainstream till early 2000's somehow we managed to survive without hd before that. We live in the internet age where we expect things quick at the push of a button and it's nice to read or post about the latest news just don't forget how slow things work in reality. At the rate tech moves all this will be history in the near future.

What's even more kind is there's no longer a need to rewind
post #6494 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 12:55 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I would like 4K content, but I certainly don't need it. It'll be a great bonus as/when we Britishers finally get some. I bought this TV after being wowed by the 3D, to be honest. Couple that with seamless 1080p upscaling, virtually no banding or DSE and very respectable screen uniformity (yes, I tested all that stuff too before buying it!), plus the excellent (for TV wink.gif) speakers and I simply had to have it.

The 3D is what swayed it though, as I was thoroughly sick of the crosstalk and poor viewing angles of the active 3D in my HX823 (and trust me, the active 2014 Bravias are no better) and one look at the X9 blew me away. Yeah, the 55" is half-res 3D but I'll take superb passive 540p over crosstalk-ridden active 1080p any day of the week. Passive 1080p would be the ultimate of course, but I just haven't got the room for the 65".

I exactly know what you mean. The 3D on the 55 HX805 (German Version) was good, but the crosstalk and flicker of active sets bothers me. Active 3D -> never again. The viewing angle was no issue for me, because of the original PlayStation 3D-Glasses. The PQ was pretty good on this set, too.

The X9 however, is a much better set in all regards. I think the triluminos panel has a good impact on the PQ. The colour reproduction is (somehow) much better now. Dont get me wrong. Like i wrote before, i don't use the feature while watching movies. But imo the panel has a benefit over other panels without triluminos, even if not activated. But again, i'm no rocket scientist wink.gif

I wish everyone of you luck with 4K-Videos on this set. For me, its just not that important. There is virtually no intersting content for me at the moment. To stream 4K-Videos is no option for me. I'll wait for UHD-Blu-Rays. I'm pretty confident that Sony will deliver the right Bd-Player with the needed codecs/specs for the X9.
post #6495 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didacgf View Post

Hi everyone!

Does anyone of you know were I can find the SONY DEMO video of the FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil 2013 in 4k? I saw it on the official Sony Store in Barcelona but there is no way they can give it to me so... PLEASE HELP smile.gif

Thank you!

it's a demo video that only sony have.. It's on a media box that sony give to the stores, but maybe if you search in the Internet you can find it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitico303 View Post

No that is not strange, but there is little 4K content around......
This for sure, but I think it's normal, when a new standard comes out.. We have to be patient..

However guys, I agree with you. This set is awsome in all its functions, but it's clear that the 4k panel is an added value.. Maybe some of us probably would have bought it anyway, but a lot of people would not if it wasn't a 4k tv.. Don't you?

.. Sony KD-55X9005B ..​
post #6496 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 139
i think this X9 is worth every penny i spent on it. The picture is just gorgeous! the 3D, yes even in the 55", still puts to shame other flagship sets on the market. I just cant wait to start adding Bluray 4k to my collection smile.gif, by the way, did you guys notice there is a slight improvement on the youtube videos after the latest software update?
post #6497 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:

I dunno about the first one, but I can categorically tell you that the 2013 X9 range doesn't do 3D with a 4K (3840x****) signal of any kind, not frame-packed, not SBS, it won't even simulate 3D. And that's nothing to do with HDMI 2.0 by the way, it's a limitation of the set's own 3D processing hardware.

@Geoff D:

Thanks for that info, though it's really sad to hear. How were you able to test the Sony with a 3840x1080 signal to verify that it can't handle SBS at that resolution?

-Rick
post #6498 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

3D simply does not work when viewing 3840x2160 content, if you try activating the feature you get a "this function is not supported" message. So I'm 99.9999% sure that a 3840x1080 signal would also fall foul of this limitation, that is if the TV could even accept such a resolution.
post #6499 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 113

Hey man, its Doodle here. Just got the new 55 X9 today. Really happy overall. Still some light leakage from sides and one corner. Maybe I'll try an exchange (for the 65?), but I might just live with it. I just wonder what other owner's are finding acceptable or what might be excessive. But holy crap man, the YT 4K vids look so ridiculous on this TV. I won't say I'm gonna cry, but its just so amazing. Have you seen the birds of prey vid? Or the Asian Persuasion vids showing off the watches? W.O.W. lol

RiED27880 likes this.
post #6500 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post

But holy crap man, the YT 4K vids look so ridiculous on this TV. I won't say I'm gonna cry, but its just so amazing. Have you seen the birds of prey vid? Or the Asian Persuasion vids showing off the watches? W.O.W. lol

I'm *really* curious about if this means the Youtube app is using the VP9 codec and we're really seeing 4k videos in 4k. (and that the TV was able to process it - if so, says something about the codec vs HEVC)

Has anyone got any official word from Sony on this? The display button won't show you the actual resolution of any file - nor will the app let you choose it (like on the web).
post #6501 of 12381 Old 04-02-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrozdowski View Post

I'm *really* curious about if this means the Youtube app is using the VP9 codec and we're really seeing 4k videos in 4k. (and that the TV was able to process it - if so, says something about the codec vs HEVC)

Has anyone got any official word from Sony on this? The display button won't show you the actual resolution of any file - nor will the app let you choose it (like on the web).

This TV can only play web videos at 1080p. The 4K streaming isn't supported. What you see when you watch a 4K video via the YouTube app is a 1080p video upscaled.

.. Sony KD-55X9005B ..​
post #6502 of 12381 Old 04-03-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a bingo.
post #6503 of 12381 Old 04-03-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:

@Geoff D:

Thanks for that info, though it's really sad to hear. How were you able to test the Sony with a 3840x1080 signal to verify that it can't handle SBS at that resolution?

-Rick

Quote:

3D simply does not work when viewing 3840x2160 content, if you try activating the feature you get a "this function is not supported" message. So I'm 99.9999% sure that a 3840x1080 signal would also fall foul of this limitation, that is if the TV could even accept such a resolution.

Hi @Geoff D:

Was your comment directed at me? I'm trying to find out if the 65" Sony can accept ANY type of 3D signal that gives me full 1080p to each eye (over HDMI 2.0). If I can send it a 1080p(x2) side-by-side image, would it work? Can you tell me what sort of 3D signals you've tried to send to the Sony over HDMI 2.0?

I see from your previous posts that you have the 55" model, which doesn't have an PFR capable of evenly dividing the 55" screen's pixels, but I expect that the signal processing in the 55" is the same as the 65", so the results of any tests you've run would be helpful to me.

Thanks again!

-Rick
post #6504 of 12381 Old 04-03-2014, 05:12 AM

Just for the record, I never said it was true 4K, but it still looks mouth-wateringly good. Point is you will not see this kind of picture quality streaming 4K YT vids through a standard 1080p TV. 

RiED27880 likes this.
post #6505 of 12381 Old 04-03-2014, 05:14 AM

... and I've got to get used to this "quoting" when replying to others :)

post #6506 of 12381 Old 04-03-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi @Geoff D:

Was your comment directed at me? I'm trying to find out if the 65" Sony can accept ANY type of 3D signal that gives me full 1080p to each eye (over HDMI 2.0). If I can send it a 1080p(x2) side-by-side image, would it work? Can you tell me what sort of 3D signals you've tried to send to the Sony over HDMI 2.0?

I see from your previous posts that you have the 55" model, which doesn't have an PFR capable of evenly dividing the 55" screen's pixels, but I expect that the signal processing in the 55" is the same as the 65", so the results of any tests you've run would be helpful to me.

Thanks again!

-Rick

Whichever way you've processed the 3D image within the 3840x2160 res - be it over/under 1920x2160 or SBS 3840x1080 - anything within that 3840x2160 'container' is regarded as a 4K signal input and thus will not be available for 3D viewing. As I said, HDMI 2.0 has nothing to do with it, because it's a fundamental limitation of the TV's own 3D hardware.
post #6507 of 12381 Old 04-03-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:

Just for the record, I never said it was true 4K, but it still looks mouth-wateringly good. Point is you will not see this kind of picture quality streaming 4K YT vids through a standard 1080p TV. 

this is absolutely true! the upscaling process is great, and the final results looks incredible better than what you can see on a 1080p panel.. 

Quote:

... and I've got to get used to this "quoting" when replying to others :)

?? 

It seems that who replied to you has also quoted you..

.. Sony KD-55X9005B ..​
post #6508 of 12381 Old 04-03-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:

The same 4k vids streaming even though they are streamed at 1080p on a standard 1080p set look absolutely great. 1080p has a lot of life in it and manufacturers could have easily waited at least 2 more years for 4k sets to come out while the 4k library built up. You see as media has started to and will continue to switch to 4k that alone would improve the image quality a lot on current 1080p sets even though it would be down scaled by the content provider. If some of you guys that have streamed down scaled 4k content from say youtube through Xbox or ps3/4 on a 1080p set you all would agree it looks great. Pics shown are of video not just still pics being streamed from YouTube on a 5 year old pioneer Kuro.

post #6509 of 12381 Old 04-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
How does everyone take pictures of your TV screen and have them come out? I have only admittedly tried with my iphone, but the shots look horrible.
post #6510 of 12381 Old 04-03-2014, 09:04 AM

I don't disagree this will still look great on a HD set. I know, I have one. It looks great. But it doesn't look as good as on my x9. 

RiED27880 likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page