Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalii View Post

Sorry for my English, as it's not my mother-tongue.
As far as I am aware, only ATI HD77.. graphics cards are supporting 4K resolution (at least that was true at the moment I assembled my PC). Unfortunately I have no idea which kind of graphics is incorporated in macbook pro, but you could look in its specifications for its maximum resolution.
My computer has the following hardware: Motherboard - MSI X79MA-GD45, Processor - Xeon E5-2650, Win7Pro 64 bit, Memory - 32GB, Graphics - PowerColor HD7750 − 2 pcs. (one graphics card for video, connected to 4K HDMI port of my TV, the other one for HD audio, connected to HDMI port of my receiver Onkyo TX-NR609).
thanks for your information,I was wondering! if one 4k movie data in the media player makes about 300GB then how come it has 10 full movies in it while the hole thing only has 2 terabytes?! unless those ten movies are similar to those remastered in 4k blurays and the media player acts like the s790 bluray player and upscales everything to 4k!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 199
^^ those 10 movies better not be upscaled
post #633 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by “flinchn" url="/t/1473062/official-sony-x9-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread/630#post_23520182" 
biggrin.gif yeah,after all this mess i hope they’re not upscaled but if they were,that means there is no difference between the media player movies and the remastered in 4k bluray ones,what makes me think that way is because they have the same titles and both are made by sony,the only difference is those 10 are released as remastered in 4k blurays version and the other 10 with the same titles are bundled in one media player,
i hope not biggrin.gif
post #634 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Has someone said that the movies take up 300GB on the cake tin itself? [edit] Or is that the file size of the movies on the Dell server with the 84"? I ask because 300GB is big, even for a theatrical 4K DCP. You'll usually see long movies (2½+ hours) take up that sort of space.

Sony has said that their 4K Video Unlimited service will use AVC at up to 100mbps (Eye IO's software being the preferred implementation, as we know). With PCM 5.1 audio on top of that, for a two hour movie at the max bitrate you're looking at roughly 100GB, if my maths is correct. So 2TB will be fine for 10 preloaded films of varying lengths, plus some shorts and photos with enough change left over for a few more movies.
post #635 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradise man View Post

wow,can you tell me what king of computer you are using i would love to do the same to get 4k content on this thing until another solution from sony takes place,i own a macbook pro retina display is it okay?
If you get a computer that can display 4K to your TV, where will you get 4K content to display?
post #636 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarCHRIS View Post

Hi all,

I'm starting to give up on the "Cheese Wheel" here in the UK.

Oddly enough my fabulous PC is in need of a repair which I will do soon. However do I understand that I can pump out the 4k content like "TimeScapes" straight from my PC into the TV? I have an appropriate Nvidia.
Seems like you're ending up with me answering you here too. smile.gif

Timescapes; The 4K Cineform version might be authored in DCI-P3 color space as this is the recommended version for using on Cinema projectors. Timescapes can also be delivered in specilised versions. Contact Timescapes sales for advisements on which version has the widest color space. http://timescapes.org/products/Specs.aspx

Be sure that your computer is powerful enough to run 370Mb/s 4K resolution in 4k Cineform or 4k Prores UHD, or choose the 4k H264 UHD 65Mb/s version.
Quote:
IF this is so:
[1] Would it show the full colour gamut of these sets?
The Sony sets have their own colorspace system which doesn't have a direct link to any color space standards. The way I have understood this is that Sony's "mastered in 4K" movies have a flag setting which will trigger the Sony UHD TVs expanded color space.
In the future Sony will master movies for consumers with different setting for regular HD TVs, Sony UHD TVs and Sony OLED TVs. Settings that might not be available to other TV brands. All to ensure that Sony TVs shall look better than other brands TVs.
Quote:
[2] Would the Sony content become available for over a PC connection?
Never ever!
Quote:
[3] I understand the PS4 will have 4k; so I repeat the first two points for the PS4?
My belife is that it will take a long time before any 4K movies will be offered on the PS4, particularly outside of the US and Japan. The same HDMI/HDCP 2.2 requirements will also apply.
Quote:
[4] Will I still have to have HDMI 4 upgraded for either the PC or PS4?
Any content from Sony will have at least the same requirements for 4K content as the FMP-1X player. Sony is not going through this upgrade hurdle just for the FMP-1X player and then just let other devices go free.
There will also be no 4K commercial content from Sony or anybody else that will be playable on a PC, unless somebody manage to pass the DRM and rip the content for torrents downloade.
Quote:
I look forward to your replies biggrin.gif
Probably. wink.gif
But you won't like the replies. biggrin.gif
post #637 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

They are not upscaled. I have the movies on the Dell server that comes with the 84". I own a number of the same titles Mastered in 4K for Blu-ray and the server versions are much sharper with better color than the ones on BD (with the exception of "Bridge over The River Kwai" which looks like a bad transfer).

I have to start the movies with the tablet Sony included and for the most part the movies looked razor sharp. The display showed 2160p being played. "Total Recall' looked much better from the server compared to my 4K mastered BD, in fact they all do except River Kwai.

Most of the shorts look good but not great. The Sony Promo was stellar....worth the price of admission. That's the one you want to show to your friends
However with the Dell I have to get audio out of the back with optical going to my AVR which I believe is only stereo. I take the HDMI out of the Dell directly into the set since I do not have an AVR that has 4K pass through.

The "puck" has 2 HDMI's out, one for audio/video and the other for just audio. When and if I get that, it will solve my audio problem and eliminate the need of optical out.
post #638 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

If you get a computer that can display 4K to your TV, where will you get 4K content to display?
In the Official LG 84LM9600 Thread, there are links to content......
paradise man likes this.
post #639 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

The content for the most part on the LG thread is PC YouTube 4k material.
post #640 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

I think the reports that newer 65 inchers won't need the HDMI swap may be inaccurate. I have a May. 2013 set and went through the activation form of our special "premium service" and scheduled a service call for next fri. I get the X1 today and I'll hook it up anyway - who knows...
post #641 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

They are not upscaled. I have the movies on the Dell server that comes with the 84". I own a number of the same titles Mastered in 4K for Blu-ray and the server versions are much sharper with better color than the ones on BD (with the exception of "Bridge over The River Kwai" which looks like a bad transfer).

I have to start the movies with the tablet Sony included and for the most part the movies looked razor sharp. The display showed 2160p being played. "Total Recall' looked much better from the server compared to my 4K mastered BD, in fact they all do except River Kwai.

Most of the shorts look good but not great. The Sony Promo was stellar....worth the price of admission. That's the one you want to show to your friends
However with the Dell I have to get audio out of the back with optical going to my AVR which I believe is only stereo. I take the HDMI out of the Dell directly into the set since I do not have an AVR that has 4K pass through.

The "puck" has 2 HDMI's out, one for audio/video and the other for just audio. When and if I get that, it will solve my audio problem and eliminate the need of optical out.
I know that the dispaly shows 2160p,thats exactly what i’m getting while watching bluray movies on the 84” using s790 player which upscales 1080p 24 to 2160p,my question is how do you know it is not upscaling cause any 4k content would be very huge for that media player to carry 10 full movies and more?!
post #642 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 07:32 AM

ak97I am happy with the new speakers and the fact they are attached makes for a good looking TV . But if you've ever watched video footage shot at 24 FPS with a camcorder, it look terrible - like a fast strobe .
post #643 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegler View Post

ak97I am happy with the new speakers and the fact they are attached makes for a good looking TV . But if you’ve ever watched video footage shot at 24 FPS with a camcorder, it look terrible - like a fast strobe .
Nice to hear that you like the speakers,i did not try to watch any videos recorded footage on my set,but if you played a 1080p 24 content it should upscale it to 2160p you can check by clicking the display button to see what signal you’re getting,by the way in the 84” HDMI 2 and 3 makes the upscale 1,4 do not upscale any content.
post #644 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

In the Official LG 84LM9600 Thread, there are links to content......
This is a collection of (mostly) YouTube 4K content; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KEUmsXc_mo&list=PLvsbWnWwishe9hRdhyHZqVB57WWkiRq3M
Not much more available on the net.

You have to set the resolution button to Original before downloading.
Chrome, Opera and Firefox have an extension that gives you a download menu; http://youtubedownloader.anoniamto.com/

YouTube and Vimeo are working on a complete new 4K content system.
post #645 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know that the dispaly shows 2160p,thats exactly what i’m getting while watching bluray movies on the 84” using s790 player which upscales 1080p 24 to 2160p,my question is how do you know it is not upscaling cause any 4k content would be very huge for that media player to carry 10 full movies and more?!

Well the display only shows what the source is. And the source of the Dell is 2160p. If you are upscaling with your BD player you are changing the source to 2160p but as you know you are just upcaling to that. I believe the panel will not upscale nor could it if it sees a 2160p source.
post #646 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Hi coolscan,i have seen a lot of 4k content you can download these original files from youtube that is not the case,the problem is my macbook retina cannot output 4k,good news on the new OS maverick from apple it will increase resolution to 4k,but that is not available right now.
post #647 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 191
This board is getting pretty active, between the apparently brisk sale of X900 65's and 55's, the roll-out of X1 player and the migration of 84" posters.

I was over at Sound Advice yesterday, and they had three 65's there ready for delivery, they had a June build date and still had the HDMI 4 in the same place as the first batch.

The X1 is still only available from Sony direct, Best Buy, SA and HHGregg are accepting pre-order, and obviously no $200 coupon can be used at box stores, only Sony online or at their store. From what I heard, they're hoping to have them next week, I guess Monday is the official date.

Sony installers still on target for Monday. I was asked by a poster to get the part number of the new board, which I don't think would be a problem.

Be well.
post #648 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

This board is getting pretty active, between the apparently brisk sale of X900 65's and 55's, the roll-out of X1 player and the migration of 84" posters.

I was over at Sound Advice yesterday, and they had three 65's there ready for delivery, they had a June build date and still had the HDMI 4 in the same place as the first batch.

The X1 is still only available from Sony direct, Best Buy, SA and HHGregg are accepting pre-order, and obviously no $200 coupon can be used at box stores, only Sony online or at their store. From what I heard, they're hoping to have them next week, I guess Monday is the official date.

Sony installers still on target for Monday. I was asked by a poster to get the part number of the new board, which I don't think would be a problem.

Be well.

Manufactured less than a month ago and still old hdmi boards. Am I the only one who thinks this whole process is fairly ridiculous? These sets cost enough that these measures are obtrusively frustrating. And who knows what may break when they dig into the set to do this? I can imagine this board will have at least a few people complaining that their set was never the same after this socalled premium service- heh
post #649 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 08:01 AM

3d is unbelievable on the 84” it is so clear and crisp,till now my 55” series 8 samsung puts on better PQ when it comes to blurays,but with 3d it’s a different story sony definitely is a winner,can’t wait to see true 4k,any news on the redray?what it does?Are there any movies on this device?
post #650 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Of course they are better than the BD. They are four times the resolution.

The older movies that are shot on film have possibly gotten a new 4K++ scan. But looking at screengrabs of Ghostbusters "mastered in 4K" BD, looks very much like the same scan as the original BD relase. The difference is that on the original BD had some clueless Authoring person turning up the contrast to "eleven" and blowing the highlights. Meaning that the original BD was a defect release.

I doubt they have gone back to the original film elements and re-assembled and re-color graded the movies. Which means they are a scan of a archived showprint, and not the original negatives which would have given more resolution.

As for the newer digital shot movie with a lot of VFX/CGI, Like Total Recall and Amazing Spiderman. I doubt they have gone back to the original 5K RAW and re-assembled the movies, or have recreated all the CGI in 4K, that was originally created and rendered in 2K.
They have just done a up-convert, which will be better than what your TV can do on the fly. But it is still a up-convert.

To determine if a movie is really 4K.
Check with IMDb what camera system it is shot with.
Only Sony F65 and F55, and the Red Cameras are fully 4K cinema quality capable. But if a movie has a lot of CGI, don't expect it to not being an up-convert. Nobody in Hollywood at this moment use money to create and render CGI in 4K resolution.
They rather use the money to do Post-Conversion 3D, because then they can charge higher ticket prices.

Movies shot on film is scanned at (preferably/mostly) 6K and downsampled (same method used in digital cine cameras).
But if you think the quality isn't stellar, it is because they have used a crappy scanner (they still exist).
Analogue 35mm Cine film doesn't have full 4K resolution, but it can be good in 4K if it gets proper treatment. (at least on new movies).

Here is the website for Sony's 4K Cinema releases; http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/mkt-digitalcinema/resource.latest.bbsccms-assets-mkt-digicinema-latest-Sony4KDigitalCinemaTitles.shtml#2012
Notice that a movie like Skyfall is released in 4K. It was shot digital 2.8K, so it is a up-convert.

The only digital shot movie that I have heard about that has had a confirmed full 4K workflow from the start is The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Be sceptical to much of the "4K claims" in the future. There will be a lot of material passed on as 4K that isn't really 4K.
post #651 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just got a call from Sony @ Lowell, MA. They say there is a delay with shipment regarding the new updated board and have rescheduled me for next Thursday (from Monday). Personally I can wait a few more days since I've already waited months. It is a bit crazy though that they didn't know that the X1 would not handshake with the TVs it was designed for.
post #652 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi coolscan,i have seen a lot of 4k content you can download these original files from youtube that is not the case,the problem is my macbook retina cannot output 4k,good news on the new OS maverick from apple it will increase resolution to 4k,but that is not available right now.
If you have seen more 4K content somewhere than what I linked to just before your post, please put up links. There are a lot of people looking for real 4K content.

For anybody that can't display 4K content at the moment. Try this Skydive in Dubai video. It was shot in 5K and was originally on YouTube in 4K, but they had to delete the 4K version because of copyright issues.
It should be very good demo material for showing the up-conversion ability of your TV.
-

This Calvin Klein Black&White commercial might also be good demo material. Directed by David Fincher Featuring Rooney Mara.
Shot in 5K with Red Epic Monochrome camera.
-
post #653 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 AM

Liked: 12
KBrod...me too! Apparently there is a huge demand on getting these HDMI boards replacements and not enough parts. I was scheduled for next Monday 8am-12pm, now rescheduled for Wednesday. Willing to wait for couple days....

I hope its all worth the wait ...FMP-X1 better impress me or I'm going to return it!
post #654 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 09:14 AM

Liked: 12
Anybody got their sets professionally calibrated? If yes, please share your calibration settings and experience.

Still waiting for HomeTheater.com or CNET reviews and calibration settings...
post #655 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 09:26 AM

Liked: 16
http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-xbr-65x900a-3d-lcd-ultra-hdtv

HomeTheater.com published this on July 11th!cool.gif
post #656 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1 View Post

Just got a call from Sony @ Lowell, MA. They say there is a delay with shipment regarding the new updated board and have rescheduled me for next Thursday (from Monday). Personally I can wait a few more days since I've already waited months. It is a bit crazy though that they didn't know that the X1 would not handshake with the TVs it was designed for.

I got a similar call but was able to schedule for the next day which is Tuesday for me. I just want to see something in real 4k at home :-)
post #657 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice to hear that you like the speakers,i did not try to watch any videos recorded footage on my set,but if you played a 1080p 24 content it should upscale it to 2160p you can check by clicking the display button to see what signal you’re getting,by the way in the 84” HDMI 2 and 3 makes the upscale 1,4 do not upscale any content.

You may want to check that. The display shows what the source is, not what is being displayed. All 4 HDMI on the 84" upscale, its a 4K panel. But only 2 and 3 can take in a 2160p source, unlike the LG 84LM9600 in which all 4 HDMI's can take in a 2160p source.
post #658 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Has someone said that the movies take up 300GB on the cake tin itself? [edit] Or is that the file size of the movies on the Dell server with the 84"? I ask because 300GB is big, even for a theatrical 4K DCP. You'll usually see long movies (2½+ hours) take up that sort of space.

Sony has said that their 4K Video Unlimited service will use AVC at up to 100mbps (Eye IO's software being the preferred implementation, as we know). With PCM 5.1 audio on top of that, for a two hour movie at the max bitrate you're looking at roughly 100GB, if my maths is correct. So 2TB will be fine for 10 preloaded films of varying lengths, plus some shorts and photos with enough change left over for a few more movies.

In another thread somewhere here it was reported that The Amazing Spiderman 4K file clocked in at 54GB. I think there was even a pic of the file size, but that was on the Dell PCs that were given as a courtesy to the 84" owners. The format and the file size could be different on the FMP-X1.
post #659 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

In another thread somewhere here it was reported that The Amazing Spiderman 4K file clocked in at 54GB. I think there was even a pic of the file size, but that was on the Dell PCs that were given as a courtesy to the 84" owners. The format and the file size could be different on the FMP-X1.

I guess we could hook up a VGA monitor and take a look at the directories on the Dell.
post #660 of 11920 Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

I think the reports that newer 65 inchers won't need the HDMI swap may be inaccurate. I have a May. 2013 set and went through the activation form of our special "premium service" and scheduled a service call for next fri. I get the X1 today and I'll hook it up anyway - who knows...

No Joy - guess I wait for a week with this paperweight

In the meantime I will post my Calibration settings for the 65inch set. YMWV. The set doesn't have tons of hours on it yet so I assume I will do more tweaking - this is for a rather dark room.

Picture Mode Standard
Backlight 8
Picture 81
Brightness 36
Color 53
Hue G1
Color Temp Neutral
Sharpness 29
Noise/MPEG/Dot - off
Reality Creation Manual
Video Area Detection Auto
Resolution Max
Noise Filtering Min
Smooth Gradation Low
Motionflow OFF or Smooth for Gaming/Sports
Cinemotion Auto

Black Corrector Off
Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma 0
LED Dynamic control Standard
Auto Light Limiter off
Clear White off
Live Color off

White Balance*:
Rg = -2
Gg = -2
Bg = -5
Rb = -2
Gb = -2
Bb = +3

Detail and Edge enhancer Low
Skin Naturalizer Off

*The controls for White Balance on the TV are too coarse, thus I applied the following settings on my receiver, which makes fine adjustments:
R Brightness:-3
R Contrast: 0
G Brightness: -5
Green Contrast: 0
Blue Brightness: 0
Blue Contrast: 0
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page