Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 221 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6601 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

Excellent! we have facts and interesting one ones. Thanks so much William.

So there is something out there besides a PC/Macbook that can play 4k files;

I'll speculate the "streaming 4k solution for early adopters" promised by Sony as posted by Lee; (aka X1 replacement, aka H265, aka...) that everybody else has speculated about will look a lot like what William just spotted...

I wouldn't get too excited. The 4K Content Player FMP-A1 has been part of Sony's 4K in-store POS since the very beginning, although not every store will have received one of course. The videos are in .sev format, along with an .md5 digest to verify the file and a thumbnail jpeg, and are downloaded via USB stick. You won't see it on display because it's definitely not a retail item and Sony intended for it to be hidden away from the public, either in the special 4K stand or behind a wall panel.

I tried to nab one when my local Sony Centre closed down, but I was told that Sony already said that they wanted it back and that it was worth about a grand. Pinch of salt perhaps regarding the price, they certainly weren't letting me have it though! biggrin.gif
Quote:

Turn the black level down to 49 and see what happens. On my 55 it's remarkable how much better the side light artifacts are when I turn it down from the default/reset value of 50. In fact while fiddling with it it's dramatic that something bad happens when i move the black level above 49; instant obvious sidelight issues. Your mileage may vary.

My sidelighting is all but gone on 50 brightness with gamma at 0. It was quite prominent for a good long while, but after my most recent calibration it's calmed right down. If I switch to uncalibrated Game mode, albeit dialled in with the same settings as Cinema, it comes back with a vengeance. Speaking of which...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru-Six View Post

Afaik the cinema mode on Sony TVs are somehow unique. You cant achieve the same (perfect) settings in other scene modes. Cinema mode is perfect for movies. Copy and paste wont help. Look at the gamma and greyscale. Its different with the same settings.

You have a point, I remember switching between Cinema 1 and 2 on the exact same settings and it was doing something slightly different (can't remember what though). When I get the chance I'll run a proper calibration in Game mode, see what I come up with.

Still, even though Game doesn't roll off the colour, it won't do the single-pixel checkerboard that I keep waffling on about, so in this case it's delivering better colour resolution at the expense of full luma resolution. If I activate Reality Creation in Game it does resolve the single-pixel pattern slightly better, athough Mi4K cannot be activated, but it then rolls off the colour just like the Cinema mode! (And yes, I've tried the chroma check with RC on and off in Cinema, it makes no difference in that case.) The TV Gods giveth, and the TV Gods taketh away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6602 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

Turn the black level down to 49 and see what happens. On my 55 it's remarkable how much better the side light artifacts are when I turn it down from the default/reset value of 50. In fact while fiddling with it it's dramatic that something bad happens when i move the black level above 49; instant obvious sidelight issues. Your mileage may vary.

thanks for the tip jjnbos smile.gif i have it at 50 so far and dont realy get too bothered by the edge leak, but i will try 49 now.
post #6603 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Yep, I did in fact play around with settings last night trying to improve the side light bleed and picked a brightness of 47, while increasing the backlight a notch or two to 5/6. This did help a lot. Still looks pretty ugly in the You Tube app menu screen (no manual brightness control), but overall much better.

post #6604 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Or the store "shelves" evidently from what was posted previously.
These higher end unit never really are never really intended to fly off the shelf's. They want production levels and demand very closely now a days.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #6605 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 60
no way!
I offered my guy who sold me the X900A last year to buy that box last night and his manager almost sold it to me. Then another floor guy came out and said no go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

I wouldn't get too excited. The 4K Content Player FMP-A1 has been part of Sony's 4K in-store POS since the very beginning, although not every store will have received one of course. The videos are in .sev format, along with an .md5 digest to verify the file and a thumbnail jpeg, and are downloaded via USB stick. You won't see it on display because it's definitely not a retail item and Sony intended for it to be hidden away from the public, either in the special 4K stand or behind a wall panel.

I tried to nab one when my local Sony Centre closed down, but I was told that Sony already said that they wanted it back and that it was worth about a grand. Pinch of salt perhaps regarding the price, they certainly weren't letting me have it though! biggrin.gif
My sidelighting is all but gone on 50 brightness with gamma at 0. It was quite prominent for a good long while, but after my most recent calibration it's calmed right down. If I switch to uncalibrated Game mode, albeit dialled in with the same settings as Cinema, it comes back with a vengeance. Speaking of which...
You have a point, I remember switching between Cinema 1 and 2 on the exact same settings and it was doing something slightly different (can't remember what though). When I get the chance I'll run a proper calibration in Game mode, see what I come up with.

Still, even though Game doesn't roll off the colour, it won't do the single-pixel checkerboard that I keep waffling on about, so in this case it's delivering better colour resolution at the expense of full luma resolution. If I activate Reality Creation in Game it does resolve the single-pixel pattern slightly better, athough Mi4K cannot be activated, but it then rolls off the colour just like the Cinema mode! (And yes, I've tried the chroma check with RC on and off in Cinema, it makes no difference in that case.) The TV Gods giveth, and the TV Gods taketh away.
post #6606 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chiu View Post

no way!
I offered my guy who sold me the X900A last year to buy that box last night and his manager almost sold it to me. Then another floor guy came out and said no go.

You can probably build a PC capable of playing 4k content (anything you can find, not just one format) for far less.
William Chiu likes this.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #6607 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I'm one the fence upgrading from my current XBR52H902 to the new 4k 65x900A. My biggest concern at this time is downgrading from 240Hz to 120Hz. I remember back when I was buying my current TV, 240Hz was the biggest thing on the list. Everybody talked about 240Hz then and how it is a must given the big screen size. The new 4k I'm looking at is much bigger at 65", doesn't that make 120Hz even worse? I have seen this TV at Bestbuy and the color blows me away, however, I have never had any chance to actually watch normal TV or a normal movie on it. Could someone give me some insight info on this?

Thanks
post #6608 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 09:42 AM

Liked: 14
The infamous sony black box. Even if you could by one after a few weeks you would get tired of looking at strawberries or an old soccer game etc. this is demo stuff to show off the TV Quickly you will get tired of it. Ask the guys at best buy who have to see it all day long how they like it

good things come to those who wait. a few more months guys The question is how many shows or films will be available to see on Netflix. I predict by end of year we will start seeing a little more content. I am waiting to see how the Nuvola 4K streamer will be accepted.

Norm L
post #6609 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 98
these is nothing that looks "bad" at all when viewed on this tv...120vs 240 doesnt even come into play here, and this tv will blow you away, whether you are watching sports, videos, or any other content....period!
RiED27880 likes this.
post #6610 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebusvh View Post

Hi everyone,

I'm one the fence upgrading from my current XBR52H902 to the new 4k 65x900A. My biggest concern at this time is downgrading from 240Hz to 120Hz. I remember back when I was buying my current TV, 240Hz was the biggest thing on the list. Everybody talked about 240Hz then and how it is a must given the big screen size. The new 4k I'm looking at is much bigger at 65", doesn't that make 120Hz even worse? I have seen this TV at Bestbuy and the color blows me away, however, I have never had any chance to actually watch normal TV or a normal movie on it. Could someone give me some insight info on this?

Thanks

Doesn't really matter.  Read this: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

post #6611 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 09:44 AM

i have my 65X900A since last summer and we have played both PS3 and PS4 games with it with no issues.
Watch the Olympics and super bowl also.

I do not know what 120 or 240hz really translate in terms of usability.

Just as I recently added the Sony FDR-AX100 4K camcorder to record 4K content to watch on the 65X900A.
That camcorder has only a 2160/30p and many tech experts say that is just not enough or that the 60MBS is not high enough and so on.

i watch some of my recorded results on the 4K TV and woah. It looks good enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebusvh View Post

Hi everyone,

Thanks
post #6612 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Doesn't really matter.  Read this: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

That is misleading...

One of the few benefits of plasma over LED/LCD is that plasma is better at motion - because of its higher Hz rating of 600...

post #6613 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:

That is misleading...

One of the few benefits of plasma over LED/LCD is that plasma is better at motion - because of its higher Hz rating of 600...

Are you sure about that? My understanding is that the 600Hz "subfield drive" has nothing to do with fast motion clarity. The real reason is because the plasma pixels just switch must faster. 

wase4711, jjnbos and RiED27880 like this.
post #6614 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 12:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I would say the author of this article is wrong. He mixed up refresh rate and frame interpolation. Two different storys. While i dont like frame interpolation modes (-> SOE), i appreciate better/higher refresh rates.

The Sony TVs are using both techniques. On Clear and Clear Plus you get very good results in motion resolution.

Standart and Smooth are using more of the unwanted frame interpolation -> great motion resolution, but SOE and weird artefacts.

Clear/Clear Plus -> less frame interpolation, darker picture (due to backlight blinking/strobing), but very good motion resolution with no visable artefacts.

I stick with Clear and sometimes Clear Plus (completly dark rooms).

There are people who prefer the SOE (indeed its more natural), but its not what the director of the movie intended you to see. The surreal characteristics of 24p-movies are what we are used to. Its what makes movies kind of... well, cinematic and larger than life wink.gif

@HDTVAV

No. Refresh rates of LCD/LED-TVS and Plasma TVs are not comparable. But thats another story...
post #6615 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru-Six View Post

There are people who prefer the SOE (indeed its more natural), but its not what the director of the movie intended you to see. The surreal characteristics of 24p-movies are what we are used to. Its what makes movies kind of... well, cinematic and larger than life wink.gif

@HDTVAV

Well sort of. Clearly Hitchcock wanted to use Black and White, but I don't think we can say what his thinking was in regards to 24/30/60 frames per second. I'd guess that motion artifacts / 24 was something he put up with and so on. Would Mozart have played synth if he had one? and so on.. just making an observation don't want to get a big debate about that going.

But I would say that having watched a few games in smooth, I do like the fact the players legs don't look "strobed" and so on. IMHO Clear doesn't seem to be a pancea; but thats just a IMHO :-) Maybe we need to revive Ampex motion compensation :-)
post #6616 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Having researched and spent a fair amount of time on the subject of 4k content, for us outside of the United States- the only way to get to experience it at its full potential is via a PC for the time being. I did put an order in for a Nuvola but are re-considering to purchase it or not. Reasons
why is because it is a streamer. Outside of the United States here in Australia- our internet and broadband is in the middle ages and to attempt to stream would be a absolute joke. Furthermore I have not heard anything about it being able to play 4k content connected to it via a usb
drive.

So a better proposition is to build a HTPC using the Intel Nuc with it using Intel HD graphics 5000 or a Gigabyte Brix Pro with Iris 5200 and then using XBMC as a front end on a windows based system. Effectively creating a powerful media player that I think would be better than the Nuvola. Off course
you would be paying a lot more than it but at least you have the ability to customise and do a lot more with it. Anyone gone this route?
post #6617 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 01:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Well sort of. Clearly Hitchcock wanted to use Black and White, but I don't think we can say what his thinking was in regards to 24/30/60 frames per second. I'd guess that motion artifacts / 24 was something he put up with and so on. Would Mozart have played synth if he had one? and so on.. just making an observation don't want to get a big debate about that going.

But I would say that having watched a few games in smooth, I do like the fact the players legs don't look "strobed" and so on. IMHO Clear doesn't seem to be a pancea; but thats just a IMHO :-) Maybe we need to revive Ampex motion compensation :-)

Your absolutely right. If directors of the past had the chance to film in 60+ Fps, they would. It is a restriction after all. 24 Fps was considered just "right" and practical for several reasons.

My point is: We're used to it. For the most of us, 24p looks cinematic and feels more surreal. Though its technically "wrong" and outdated. Most directors film their movies with the 24p-restriction in mind. But not all of them -> The Hobbit HFR anyone? wink.gif

Sure, clear-mode is just a compromise for movies i like most. Imo Motionflow and RC should be deactivated for games/game-mode, because of increased input lag.
jjnbos likes this.
post #6618 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post

The 65 + X1 deal ends tomorrow, I am actually considering it!

With the X1 deal ending, the question becomes what is Sony's next push to clear inventory of 850A/900A with the 2014 models coming around the corner.
post #6619 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 02:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptysell View Post

With the X1 deal ending, the question becomes what is Sony's next push to clear inventory of 850A/900A with the 2014 models coming around the corner.

Inventory clearance will probably be after May 3rd. The x1 deal should stay a few more days or at least some of us smaller dealers just got the ok to allow the x1 deal today.
post #6620 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdplasmas View Post

Inventory clearance will probably be after May 3rd. The x1 deal should stay a few more days or at least some of us smaller dealers just got the ok to allow the x1 deal today.

Ugh! Can't wait that long. And not worth the wait for a few hundred dollars.
Off to Frys.
post #6621 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Yep, I did in fact play around with settings last night trying to improve the side light bleed and picked a brightness of 47, while increasing the backlight a notch or two to 5/6. This did help a lot. Still looks pretty ugly in the You Tube app menu screen (no manual brightness control), but overall much better.

my menu on youtube looks bad too! lol it realy doesnt bother me because but i play videos or pop in a bluray the edge artifacts literaly dissapear. i got my back light at 7 and brightness at 50. 49 makes blacks deeper, just inky with even better contrast. overall, uniformity wise, the X9 is among the best i've seen. Specialy when you consider how bad most LEDs on the market can be.
post #6622 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I am still concerned that some of these TVs are made in Japan and some are made in Mexico!

How can you look for one that is made in Japan and not Mexico?!

:confused: 

post #6623 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

my menu on youtube looks bad too! lol it realy doesnt bother me because but i play videos or pop in a bluray the edge artifacts literaly dissapear. i got my back light at 7 and brightness at 50. 49 makes blacks deeper, just inky with even better contrast. overall, uniformity wise, the X9 is among the best i've seen. Specialy when you consider how bad most LEDs on the market can be.

Nah, doesn't bother me either. I mounted this sucker on the wall today. So I think its a keeper, cuz I don't want to have to take it down. I'll enjoy it for the next couple of years and who knows what will be out there by then... 4K OLED no glasses 3D .. yea, right :). It will probably be amazing though. Do you use the Sony remote to control the PS4? Is that an option with Bravia Sync? Did your PS3 work with the Bravia Sync? I'm going to call Sony next week... I could have sworn I had this working last summer with the Amazon unit. 

post #6624 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

I am still concerned that some of these TVs are made in Japan and some are made in Mexico!

confused.gif  

Mine was made in Mexico in jul 13. I thought they all were from mexico.
Just curious why the place manufactured concerns you?
post #6625 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 08:24 PM

Liked: 43
Does ps4 output xvycc color gamut? I know the ps3 does but both ps4 and xbox one have less features than their previous generation. also does ps4 support 3d like the previous generation yet? Or is it still missing, I'd prefer to have one blue ray playing device for my new 65x900a I don't really want or need a birds nest full of cords behind my transparent stand.
post #6626 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post

Just curious why the place manufactured concerns you?

Are you serious...?

:p

post #6627 of 12181 Old 04-05-2014, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfam View Post

Does ps4 output xvycc color gamut? I know the ps3 does but both ps4 and xbox one have less features than their previous generation. also does ps4 support 3d like the previous generation yet? Or is it still missing, I'd prefer to have one blue ray playing device for my new 65x900a I don't really want or need a birds nest full of cords behind my transparent stand.

No and no. For these reasons, I only use the ps4 for gaming and the ps3 for watching blu-rays.

The ps3 still remains a pretty decent blu-ray player, feature wise. The ps4 will get there eventually with updates (we hope), but as of now, it oddly enough doesn't appear to be a priority for Sony.
post #6628 of 12181 Old 04-06-2014, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryWaz View Post

I wonder, has anyone tried the new Sony's with one of the newer Lumagen Radiance video processors that output 4K content from non-4K sources (e.g., 1080P, SD, etc.)?

Is there a difference or any improvement with non-4K sources?

Or does having the Radiance not matter as the Sony's upcoversion is just as good?

6 months have gone by, anybody tried their x90 with a Lumagen?
post #6629 of 12181 Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:

confused.gif  

its in the back where the serial number is, it should say either made in mexico or japan, mine happens to say japan biggrin.gif not that the ones from mexico are any less good i hope. lol
post #6630 of 12181 Old 04-06-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Nah, doesn't bother me either. I mounted this sucker on the wall today. So I think its a keeper, cuz I don't want to have to take it down. I'll enjoy it for the next couple of years and who knows what will be out there by then... 4K OLED no glasses 3D .. yea, right smile.gif. It will probably be amazing though. Do you use the Sony remote to control the PS4? Is that an option with Bravia Sync? Did your PS3 work with the Bravia Sync? I'm going to call Sony next week... I could have sworn I had this working last summer with the Amazon unit. 

i think the ps4 still does not have DLNA, as sony has stated its "considering" adding it with a patch in the future, but i wouldnt hold my breath. lol i dont mind using my ps4 controller though smile.gif i was a little dissapointed at first, because the ps3 had all that and more, but not a deal breaker. NBA 2k14 is just AMAZING itself and worth it to me. Speaking of eye candy, Game of Thrones season 4 starts tonight and it looks glorious on the X9! cant wait! biggrin.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page