Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 229 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6841 of 10818 Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

My 55" does exactly the same thing, I believe it's an inherent issue of the 55" panel (though it may naturally vary in intensity between certain builds). Whenever you're using the menus or apps (like in the quoted pic, that's the speed checker isn't it?) it defaults to a brighter, non-dimming backlight which shows up the "fingers" something chronic. If using Cinema scene select the backlight dims all the way down to proper black with dark scenes so the effect is all but eliminated, other scene selects like Game seem to be stuck on the non-dimming backlight, so the sidelighting returns.

I'm thinking it's the backlight system and not the panel as my set uses a different panel and the 900A folk seem to have the same issue. I only see it on a white or grey background... if I set the dynamic range to full then it's really bad... I was originally going to keep the TV and maybe get Sony to replace it but I'm thinking it's best if opt for a return now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 10818 Old 04-10-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post

I just tried the oppo 103 set to 999 screen size with my 65x900a watching 3d bluray of avatar.
One of the best 3d movies i have seen and this just takes it to another level
smile.gif

Thanks for the info

Would you suggest getting the 103 or 103D?

post #6843 of 10818 Old 04-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Do you have the 103 or 103D?

Wondering if it would look even better on the 103D...?

Well I have 103 and a standalone Darblet and I have always believed the Darblet helped nudge 3d (and 2d) depth a bit. I'm happy with this setup rather than the 103d because I can throw Directv, Oppo, Xbox 360 and PS4 through my Avr and then the standalone Darblet.

Update 7/09/14---Warm1 pref settings 65"
post #6844 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Weird thing is, I found my Sony A6000 (redressed S790) produced lots of noise in the higher frequency chroma & luma bursts with the TV's Reality Creation set to on. Neither of the Pannys nor the PS3 does that, so even on Direct mode (i.e. no changing of the outgoing signal) the Sony BD player IS still doing something untoward to the video signal.

FYI you can change it to RGB in the Display settings menu, but there's no colour sampling selection, just RGB Standard or Full (always select Standard because full is at PC levels (0-255 IIRC)).

Ok, thanks. Weird thing i noticed using the Bd S790 on my previous Sony TVs: When i used the theater-mode on the TVs, the video-setting on the player was grayed out. Video-setting on the player was not available. It was kind of a lossless connection between both. When i deselected theater-mode, the video-setting was available again.

That changed with the X9. I guess you're right. Even direct-mode is no pure signal anymore.
post #6845 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Anyone aware of any real serious eye-candy (and ear-candy) demos that really show off the picture and sound of this TV...?

best examples are found on the FMP-X1 for now, or if you happen to have the store Demos on a USB stick biggrin.gif
post #6846 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

I'm thinking it's the backlight system and not the panel as my set uses a different panel and the 900A folk seem to have the same issue. I only see it on a white or grey background... if I set the dynamic range to full then it's really bad... I was originally going to keep the TV and maybe get Sony to replace it but I'm thinking it's best if opt for a return now.

A different panel to what? The 55X9? What TV do you have? In any case you're right, it could well be endemic to how they've implemented the quantum dot backlight across the 2013 range, up to 55" anyway.

But FYI you wouldn't normally need to set the dynamic range to Full because it's expanding the picture to 0-255 PC levels, unlike the 16-235 range of regular video signals. The image becomes far brighter on Full because the black level has been pushed back several notches, and this will of course make the sidelighting even worse.
post #6847 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 06:22 AM

Liked: 11
Replacing a non-helpful question with another one - possibly equally non-helpful smile.gif ....

What is the biggest difference between MotionFlow 960 vs 240. Is the back light is used on the 960 and not the 240 to create the extra frame variations? I noticed the 850B has MotionFlow 240 and the others including our 900A have the MotionFlow 960 and they have different backlighting.
post #6848 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137

I just tried the oppo 103 set to 999 screen size with my 65x900a watching 3d bluray of avatar.

Thanks for the info

Quote:

Would you suggest getting the 103 or 103D?

Good question HDTVAV -
I bought the 103 before the D version was released so i didn't have that choice.
If i were buying it today i would go for the 103D just because i hear it has video processing improvements over the already impressive 103.
I have never seen this in person though.

I have read pros and cons on the darbee stand alone darblet that can upgrade all signals passed through it.
The main con that I read is that there is not a way to upgrade the firmware on it yourself.
You have to mail it to darbee to upgrade the device. mad.gif
post #6849 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post

Originally Posted by Mdjones9137

Thanks for the info
Good question HDTVAV -
I bought the 103 before the D version was released so i didn't have that choice.
If i were buying it today i would go for the 103D just because i hear it has video processing improvements over the already impressive 103.
I have never seen this in person though.

I have read pros and cons on the darbee stand alone darblet that can upgrade all signals passed through it.
The main con that I read is that there is not a way to upgrade the firmware on it yourself.
You have to mail it to darbee to upgrade the device. mad.gif

I haven't been in the Darbee thread in awhile but there hasn't been an update to the standalone in years. I think the next firmware may only fix a bug with xv color expanding black and white levels. And the new model only moves the ports to the back of the unit.

I think there are differing opinions on which video processor is better for 103 or 103d, Darbee processing aside.

"Since the BDP-103D uses a different processing chip than the BDP-103, I also ran the player through my standard assortment of processing/deinterlacing tests to make sure its performance still makes the grade ... and it does. It passed all of the 480i and 1080i tests on the HQV and Spears & Munsil test discs and cleanly rendered my favorite demo scenes from Gladiator and The Bourne Identity on DVD. Some quick A/B comparisons between the 103 and the 103D showed that the processing chips offered virtually identical performance. According to Oppo, the reason the processing performance is so similar, despite the use of different chips, is because Oppo has moved most of the "heavy-lifting video processing works" to the main dual-core decoder chip in both the BDP-103 and 103D, so there is not much left for the Marvell or SI chip to perform."

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-bdp-103d-darbee-edition-universal-disc-player-reviewed/?page=2

I would visit the Oppo 103 thread here- lots of experts there.

post #6850 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Meanwhile, I'm going to have a 3d blu ray marathon this weekend (until Game of Thrones, at least- fans do not miss this Ep!) thanks to HDTVAV, who is my new favorite forum member. wink.gif

post #6851 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

Meanwhile, I'm going to have a 3d blu ray marathon this weekend (until Game of Thrones, at least- fans do not miss this Ep!) thanks to HDTVAV, who is my new favorite forum member. wink.gif

I'm planning a 3D weekend as well. I just received Gravity 3D, the Hobbit 2 3D, and plan on also watching Avitar again, since I have not watched it in its entirety on the X9 yet.

I have mentioned this before in this thread, but if you haven't done an assessment of your 3D performance, you should run the Stereoscopic tests on the Spears&Munsil Blu-ray, version 2. The two "Depth Steps" tests are especially important to make sure your vertical viewing angle is correct. It is discussed here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1442511/spears-munsil-hd-benchmark-blu-ray-2nd-edition/360#post_23776054

And BTW, the 3D demo clips on the disk are breathtaking! I can already smell the popcorn!
post #6852 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the 3D demo clip is superb. Whenever I do a calibration I run that sequence just for the hell of it.
post #6853 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, the 3D demo clip is superb. Whenever I do a calibration I run that sequence just for the hell of it.

I'll have to dig the disc out tonight before I hit the films...

post #6854 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 08:32 PM

Liked: 14
Excuse my ignorance to the question, but are there any specific changes in the settings that are recommended for watching 3D vs watching standard TV? I have had my 65" x900 for about 3 weeks and have enjoyed everything I've thrown at it so far.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

My current system;

Sony XBR 65x900a

Pioneer Elite SC-67, running 7.1 with Front Highs

Klipsch Reference series, RF 35, RC 35, RS 35, RS 42

SVS 20-39 pci

Belkin Pure AV PF60
post #6855 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipflopp View Post

Excuse my ignorance to the question, but are there any specific changes in the settings that are recommended for watching 3D vs watching standard TV? I have had my 65" x900 for about 3 weeks and have enjoyed everything I've thrown at it so far.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Mostly, just backlight and contrast bumped up. Different glasses allow more or less light through so you will have to check and see. Mine is set at max backlight and 95 contrast for 3d only. Frame packed 3d blurays are now mastered at higher levels as well after everyone complained they were too dark. I'm sure someone can give you a calibrated setting as they have it set.

post #6856 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mostly, just backlight and contrast bumped up. Different glasses allow more or less light through so you will have to check and see. Mine is set at max backlight and 95 contrast for 3d only. Frame packed 3d blurays are now mastered at higher levels as well after everyone complained they were too dark. I'm sure someone can give you a calibrated setting as they have it set.

I don't know how to calibrate 3D. Perhaps Geoff will have some input. As you do, I set backlight and contrast to Max, all other settings are the same.

BTW, just finished Gravity 3D. Really liked the movie, and the 3D was very well done.
post #6857 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the desolation of smaug in 3d and for some reason it gives me eye strain, seems a little blurry during fast scenes...I own a bunch of other 3d movies, smurfs, jack and giant slayer, titanic and. Those are fine..
I tried setting 3d to -2 but same thing, im regretting the purchase, any.one else?
post #6858 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

I bought the desolation of smaug in 3d and for some reason it gives me eye strain, seems a little blurry during fast scenes...I own a bunch of other 3d movies, smurfs, jack and giant slayer, titanic and. Those are fine..
I tried setting 3d to -2 but same thing, im regretting the purchase, any.one else?

I don't know how you could regret anything Tolkien (as long as you can embrace all the stuff that WASNT Tolkien heh) but anyway- I watched both Dredd and Jack the giant slayer tonight. Dredd gave me a bit of a headache, but then when I watched Jack, it was gone. And my eyes stopped watering. I think they say everybody's eyes take 3d content a bit different, and probably different at home vs the theater experience. No problems with eye strain or blurriness with Hobbit 2 a few nights ago for me.

post #6859 of 10818 Old 04-11-2014, 11:09 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks. I have been using 6 for my backlight and 90 for picture on standard scene. I'm guessing that's contrast on Sony. My brightness is at 49 to name a few settings. I watched Gravity, Dredd, Predator, Pacific Rim in 3D and have been highly impressed with the picture this set produces. I noticed Sony removed the 3D demo stuff they had in the apps which is a real bummer. The 3D in those demos were really awesome to show guest.

I did go on Ebay and order me a set of the Oakley Hobbit 3D glasses. I already have a set of regular Oakley's and like the fit and feel of them.

My only want as of now, is to see true 4K on it. I chose not to buy the 4K media player based on what I have read here and wait for the next version of it to come out, or hope that the PS4 gets an update to play/stream 4K content.
RiED27880 likes this.

My current system;

Sony XBR 65x900a

Pioneer Elite SC-67, running 7.1 with Front Highs

Klipsch Reference series, RF 35, RC 35, RS 35, RS 42

SVS 20-39 pci

Belkin Pure AV PF60
post #6860 of 10818 Old 04-12-2014, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I don't know how to calibrate 3D. Perhaps Geoff will have some input. As you do, I set backlight and contrast to Max, all other settings are the same.

Heh. Just tape a set of glasses to the sensor and go about your calibration business as normal. I ran another 3D calibration the other night when messing about with this YCbCr/RGB business, let me dig my results out. BTW the horizontal chroma roll off in Cinema mode applies to 3D as well, but because the backlight doesn't dim down in 3D (owing to the more pressing need for extra brightness) I use Game mode to ensure that I'm getting the best colour performance.

The gamma and colour temperature are a little more screwy in 3D, looking fairly uneven up to about 40%, but to level it out we'd need the precision of a 10-point white balance control which the Sonys do not have, so we just gots to get on with what we got.

My 3D settings for my 55" are: Game, Backlight 8, Contrast/Picture 90, brightness 51, colour 50, colour temp Warm 2, sharpness 25, gamma 0. White balance: red gain -1, green gain -2, blue gain -2, red bias -2, green bias +2, blue bias -1. This was NOT done with the Sony glasses though, but with a set I picked up from a cinema a while ago; I use them because they have practically zero crosstalk, whereas the Sony specs clearly show a degree of leakage.

This delivers a dE average of 0.89 across the grayscale and 1.20 for the primaries and secondaries, though I didn't bother with 25%, 50% and 75% saturations because they'll be difficult to correct, as noted. Average gamma is 2.25, nice and bright for 3D without sacrificing black levels, and average colour temp is 6461.

As for sharpness, I set it at 25 to soften the jaggies of the half-res 540p image. (This obviously doesn't affect you 65-ers!) In doing so it reduces horizontal luma resolution too (which is otherwise unaffected by the 540p polariser) but it's a case of pick your poison. Best sharpness but very obvious aliasing, or a slightly softer image which reduces the distracting jaggies. It still looks amazing though. I watched Hobbit 2 the other night, depth pushed to +3 on my BD player. No eye strain, no crosstalk, lots of detail, it was utterly brilliant.
AustinJerry likes this.
post #6861 of 10818 Old 04-12-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Geoff. I have the Hobbit 2 planned for this evening, so I'll give these settings a try
post #6862 of 10818 Old 04-12-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the white balance will be different for your set so don't take them as gospel!
post #6863 of 10818 Old 04-12-2014, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

After some serious viewing, I must say that the Oppo 103/d tweak to set screen size to max (999) is pretty amazing considering it was 'free.' Spending a great deal on my HT, it is nice to get a bump without dropping hundreds or thousands of bucks. Must be seen to be believed, I understand... But I would have sold whatever other model player I had and bought a 103 if I had the 3d shown to me. Possibly .., because, ironically, 3d was less than an afterthought to me and zero consideration when buying this TV. Thought it was an annoying gimmick. Heh.

I didn't know anything about passive vs active or 1080p 3d or much else though- this set was the most expensive and lucky blind buy ever. I must have been crazy. But if you don't dip into debt to pay for a TV all is good. wink.gif

Oh and for the member complaining of eye strain, back lighting has always helped me here when doing marathon viewing in a dark room. Perception of contrast and color is supposed to be enhanced as well. Has to do with the TV screen fading into the wall behind it when completely dark and your eyes being confused about the depth of the TV versus the wall as I understand it.

post #6864 of 10818 Old 04-12-2014, 07:05 AM

Liked: 11
I found these settings a while back for the 65x900A.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-xbr-65x900a-3d-lcd-ultra-hdtv-settings

I can’t say they really helped me much, but the Backlight and Picture settings helped make my 3D pop. Its also a nice read. I realize that every set is unique. Though I pretty much use the information from Austin Jerry and Geoff D, I did experiment with these settings. I also found that to achieve the closest color settings using the BluRay DVE I needed to set the color setting higher than I expected as well as having to tweak the red gain and offset. This is where I started finding that Austin Jerry's settings were perhaps a better match for my particular set.

When using DVE (or other) do you set the color temperature to neutral when doing the calibration and then switch it to Warm 2 (or whatever your liking), or do you start with Warm 2? Intuitively, it would seem to counter the effect by calibrating after setting it to Warm 2 first, but then things are not always intuitive with this set - at least for me.
post #6865 of 10818 Old 04-12-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

No way, start off with Warm 2 because that's the closest towards D65. But bear in mind that's not setting colour by eye using blue filters or whatever, it's by using a light sensor and PC software to get as objective a result as possible. And always bear in mind that my experiences apply to the 55X9 only, not the 65.
post #6866 of 10818 Old 04-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34

has anyone tried the Netfix 4k streams? they have been available since last Sunday.

http://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-begins-4k-streams/

post #6867 of 10818 Old 04-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post

has anyone tried the Netfix 4k streams? they have been available since last Sunday.

http://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-begins-4k-streams/

Well the article itself should answer you. But yes we are all waiting with baited breath to see how/if Sony provides our 2013 models with the necessary codec/service - possibly through the FMP-X1 or future device.

post #6868 of 10818 Old 04-12-2014, 08:05 AM

Liked: 59
still nothing, either an updated Netflix in TV app with 4K support or update to our 4K Sony Streamer here in NYC.
Quote:

Well the article itself should answer you. But yes we are all waiting with baited breath to see how/if Sony provides our 2013 models with the necessary codec/service - possibly through the FMP-X1 or future device.
post #6869 of 10818 Old 04-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I saw that in the article, it was written in Jan. One of the salesmen at Magnolia claimed there was a firmware / software update this month that enabled 4k streaming from Netflix. I didn't have a lot of time to wait for the other salesman to finish with other customers viewing the set, so I could not verify what he told me.

post #6870 of 10818 Old 04-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Although I bought this set after seeing it briefly at Magnolia, I haven't had a lot of experience with how informed they are. I did spend an inordinate time however arguing with one asserting that Count Dooku's face should not be purple. wink.gif

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page