Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 238 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7111 of 11379 Old 04-16-2014, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

It's the same deal in the UK, first builds with HDMI 4 on its own, and the later builds with HDMI 1, 3 and 4 together, which I presume has the HDCP 2.2 upgrade built-in (based on what our US friends have said about the upgrade program).

You can bet your ass that the new media player will need HDCP 2.2, so if we are destined to FINALLY get it in Europe, then I guess we're gonna find out whether our early builds need an HDCP upgrade or not.

it's very strange that european division doesn't know anything about that.. when I reported this issue to Sony Italy they have literally "fallen from the clouds", as we used to say in my country..
well, we'll see.. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Well I really tried to get a good picture (admittedly with my phone) of what I was dealing with regarding Warm1. Problem is, almost every single color in this picture is slightly off what I see on the screen. Some ever so slightly, but the man in the bottom left should have a purer purple shirt for instance. My iPhone simply won't recognize the colors accurately. It's pretty close in other details but color is really what matters. No matter how slightly off they are it kind of destroys the whole point. Then again, I look at the picture on my iphone and on my laptop and they look different from each other. Laptop is closer. God knows what y'all are seeing smile.gif.

And yes, this is a directv source. Any artifacts on the street at the bottom for instance are the camera's fault, the brightness is weird on the embed -

Oh well. Triluminos: 1 flinchn:0

Edit: I tried to upload a slightly better one without imbedding:

pjyUH7p.jpg
post #7113 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrivaso View Post

CNET posted this earlier

Sony FMP-X10 4K media player: Netflix streams and downloads for Sony 4K TVs

Sony Electronics
"Last summer Sony was first to the mass market with a media player capable of delivering 4K video. Now the second generation has been announced, model FMP-X10, maintaining Sony's lead in the race to bring 4K content home.
The biggest new feature is the ability to stream Netflix's 4K content, which just began rolling out. Like its predecessor, it also includes a large hard drive -- 1TB -- for storing and playing back 4K movies and TV shows downloaded from Sony's Video Unlimited 4K service"
They say the device will be available in the summer.
The complete article can be found in The following link
http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-fmp-x10-4k-ultra-hd-media-player/#ftag=CADf328eec

It's amazing how quick info changes. Just a few days ago I was asking if the old set was capable or getting an upgrade for HEVC. Actually, I didn't even know what that was. Lol. I'm such an uninformed newbie. Now not only is it clear as day (at this moment) that old sets won't get updated but there's a solution which indicates at her hardware option should be coming soon as many here have predicted.

I was questioning my purchase of the old model but now I can put that to rest and eagerly anticipate the arrival on Saturday. This place is awesome delivering information as it develops. I don't understand all of it but I'm trying. For now it will be warm 2 and go from there.
Carlos_E likes this.
post #7114 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

Interesting to me, I went into the Oppo 103 thread and promoted the screen size=999" tweak for 3d that HDTVAV found and all I got were members complaining that it wasn't the director's vision (as if most care about 3d conversion) and that it would cause migraines after a minute- without trying it themselves. Back in the day I would have turned it back quick because I wanted to see any film as the director intended - always. I will never forget how much i wore out the first set of widescreen Star Wars VHS tapes as a kid and never tolerated pan and scan since, for instance. Now, I'm more chill. But not about pan and scan. The good guys won that one.

I know I've just waffled on about accuracy and whatnot, but with 3D all bets are off simply because there is no home standard regarding depth control, light output etc etc. I've played with the depth setting on my Panasonic player and got some very nice results. IIRC the PS3 also has a screen size setting (like all standalone Sony 3D Blu-ray players) so I might try expanding that to the largest size and see where it gets me.
post #7115 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I know I've just waffled on about accuracy and whatnot, but with 3D all bets are off simply because there is no home standard regarding depth control, light output etc etc. I've played with the depth setting on my Panasonic player and got some very nice results. IIRC the PS3 also has a screen size setting (like all standalone Sony 3D Blu-ray players) so I might try expanding that to the largest size and see where it gets me.

Yeah I've thought about playing with the screen size on my xbox360 but to what end? PS4 doesnt support 3d blu rays yet I think, but its not like I'm going to use anything but the Oppo 103. This may not work on any other models or manufacturers - I have only seen it mentioned for the Oppo 103 and 103d. I'm carefully considering whether I will ever do a firmware update on mine again, for fear they bork this on purpose or on accident.
post #7116 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I wasn't talking about consoles per se, just that I've got a bit of 3D kit which has a screen size option (the PS3) so I'll have to give that a try, because I haven't got several hundred pounds to spunk on an Oppo right now! biggrin.gif
post #7117 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:

Can anyone provide a technical explanation of why changing the screen size affects the quality of a 3D image? I have not had a chance to try this on my Oppo yet.
post #7118 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Can anyone provide a technical explanation of why changing the screen size affects the quality of a 3D image? I have not had a chance to try this on my Oppo yet.

All I've seen is conjecture: that the parallax is being pushed back to accommodate a very large screen size. It is clearly not a documented feature and like I said I'm scared Oppo will rip it out.

As a 3d depth setting might but super charged I guess. The kicker for the screen size setting is it adds no screen anomalies on the sides nor does it shrink the displayed screen horizontally. There's plenty to play with between 65-999 to get it comfortable. I'm still deciding but I watched Dredd (the slow mo and added depth were something to see) and Jack the Giant Slayer back to back and had no problems with 999. Everyone takes 3d in differently. I'm sure my dad would get a migraine.

If I remember you also have a Darblet - that helps depth subtly I think. So really can't get better.

You do have to let your eyes get used to it and I would highly recommend a backlight to help with any eyestrain. At first it is like wow look at that- then your brain gets a bit confused for a few minutes. But if you let it ride it is very impressive IMHO.

I keep the TVs setting at 0 depth. I see absolutely no reason to adjust that in any case. From what I read about the "auto" settings, they are undesirable especially for this application.
post #7119 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What is the better option at this point?

1: 65X900A with X1 for $3999

or

2: 65X900A without X1 for $3500

Thanks
Carl

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
post #7120 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTuell View Post

or

Thanks
Carl

Without. You can always pick up the next revision X10 this summer. Adds streaming 4k capability. The X1 is obsolete.
wase4711 likes this.
post #7121 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 07:52 AM

Liked: 43
Quote:

Without. You can always pick up the next revision X10 this summer. Adds streaming 4k capability. The X1 is obsolete.
i agree at this point the only thing you get out of the x1 is access to 4k renting right now instead of in 3-6 months down the road I don't think $500 is worth a 3-6 month head start
post #7122 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 07:53 AM

Compared to the Samsung F9000, the x9005 (i own one) can be considered as having bad viewing angle. I view about 2.5meters away from it and if i sit where "friends and family" would have to be when we have a family meet... then anyone sitting on either side of me will have reduced contrast, and those +one meter from the centre point on either side may see the stripey vertical banding/clouding. I was in Currys yesterday and noticed the Samsung F9000 was much, much better at angles.

If you sit further away... +3meters i wont think viewing angle would be a probem with this set, or at least much less of a problem.

I chose the x9005 because the input lag is very good, plays PS4 games really well, even twitch games. If sony could knock off another 10ms... i would be in twitch gaming heaven as the up scaling of PS4 games is very good indeed on this set.
flinchn likes this.
post #7123 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post

Compared to the Samsung F9000, the x9005 (i own one) can be considered as having bad viewing angle. I view about 2.5meters away from it and if i sit where "friends and family" would have to be when we have a family meet... then anyone sitting on either side of me will have reduced contrast, and those +one meter from the centre point on either side may see the stripey vertical banding/clouding. I was in Currys yesterday and noticed the Samsung F9000 was much, much better at angles.

If you sit further away... +3meters i wont think viewing angle would be a probem with this set, or at least much less of a problem.

I chose the x9005 because the input lag is very good, plays PS4 games really well, even twitch games. If sony could knock off another 10ms... i would be in twitch gaming heaven as the up scaling of PS4 games is very good indeed on this set.

Why would the viewing angles on this Sony be so much "worse" than on any other LED TV?

And isn't it something that Sony could fix on next generation models?

:confused: 

post #7124 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So it is not only an Oppo effect - changing the screen size to a larger number (999, etc.) works on most 3D blu-ray players?

post #7125 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

So it is not only an Oppo effect - changing the screen size to a larger number (999, etc.) works on most 3D blu-ray players?

The best answer is: try it. All we know is Oppo 103/d.

This is free guys: if you hate it or don't notice it then I think you can just change the setting back pretty easy. But I'm not the only one who reported a difference a week ago when it was brought up. (By you!)

Tbh this may be off topic for this thread, but I think we can get a pass since we have the best 3d set atm, and any free tweak is frosting.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #7126 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 08:48 AM

4K Worth it???

OK I sit 12-14ft away. The site below tells me that I would need a 90" set to be able to tell the difference between 1080P and 4K. How ever the pictures they us to make their point actually prove them wrong. I have a 1080P 24" monitor. I opened this site and looked at the pictures at about 24" away. Definite difference, right? So I rolled my chair back expecting after a few feet the pictures would look nearly they same. WRONG! I had to move back to 11' before they looked nearly identical, and these are only 3" X 5" pictures. Give it a try and see what you think. This has pretty much convinced me that 4K on a 65" set at 12' will look noticeably better than 1080P. Am I looking at this wrong?

http://www.rtings.com/info/4k-ultra-hd-tv-resolution-explained

Thanks
Carl

CPTuell
post #7127 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

4K Worth it???

OK I sit 12-14ft away. The site below tells me that I would need a 90" set to be able to tell the difference between 1080P and 4K. How ever the pictures they us to make their point actually prove them wrong. I have a 1080P 24" monitor. I opened this site and looked at the pictures at about 24" away. Definite difference, right? So I rolled my chair back expecting after a few feet the pictures would look nearly they same. WRONG! I had to move back to 11' before they looked nearly identical, and these are only 3" X 5" pictures. Give it a try and see what you think. This has pretty much convinced me that 4K on a 65" set at 12' will look noticeably better than 1080P. Am I looking at this wrong?

Thanks
Carl

I think we all agree we see a difference at a reasonable distance - but the scaler on this set makes it difficult (but pretty definitive in detail and color at least) to discern, especially with a pristine 1080p source. So someone will have to speak to it having done side by side comparisons with a good 1080p set I think.

And you can find hundreds of articles saying 4k is a scam because you can't see the difference. Well we all don't sit 3ft from the screen and if anything, we do not seem susceptible to groupthink. wink.gif
RiED27880 likes this.
post #7128 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

4K Worth it???

Thanks
Carl

Agreed!

I just did the same thing with my 27" 1080p monitor - and you can definitely tell the difference.

I also have auditioned these TVs several times and sat in nice comfy leather chairs from about the same distance - 10 feet away - and I could definitely tell the difference between the 65" X900A and the 1080p...

I was so amazed I just kept saying that the picture on the 65" X900A was insanely good - the salesman probably thought I was insane I kept saying it so much... 

post #7129 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI The Upgrade to HEVC will be free according to Janelle at SONY online chat. Hope that it's true.
ebs: Hi, Does the XBR-65X900A support Netflix 4k?
Janelle G: Hello Ebs!
Janelle G: I'd be happy to help you out.
Janelle G: Let me pull up the info we have for this.
Janelle G: May I ask what drew you to this Sony TV?
ebs: My interest in Netflix 4k.
Janelle G: I understand. I am still checking on your query.
ebs: Cool thanks.
Janelle G: One moment.
Janelle G: Thanks for waiting, Ebs.
ebs: Sure.
Janelle G: Upon checking, the XBR-65X900A does not support Netflix in 4K just yet. But don't worry, Sony is aware of this and is now in the process of creating a means for the 2013 4K models support this format. How soon do you need the TV?
ebs: I may wait for the new model. To be clear, you are telling me that the XBR-65X900A does not support Netflix 4k, but will. The price for that upgrade is currently unspecified and with no release date.
Janelle G: Upgrade for that is FREE, Ebs and yes, the X900A does not have the support available for HEVC available yet. I can help you order it today! As a valued Sony customer, we'll give you FREE shipping.
ebs: The upgrade for the XBR-65X900A to support HEVC will be free?
ebs: For all XBR-65X900A owners?
Janelle G: Yes, it's free. =)
post #7130 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikbryan View Post

FYI The Upgrade to HEVC will be free according to Janelle at SONY online chat. Hope that it's true.
Janelle G: Upon checking, the XBR-65X900A does not support Netflix in 4K just yet. But don't worry, Sony is aware of this and is now in the process of creating a means for the 2013 4K models support this format. How soon do you need the TV?
ebs: I may wait for the new model. To be clear, you are telling me that the XBR-65X900A does not support Netflix 4k, but will. The price for that upgrade is currently unspecified and with no release date.
Janelle G: Upgrade for that is FREE, Ebs and yes, the X900A does not have the support available for HEVC available yet. I can help you order it today! As a valued Sony customer, we'll give you FREE shipping.

Everyone here better copy and paste that chat to a Word document and save it!

:p

post #7131 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 AM

Liked: 17
Only
Quote:

or

Thanks
Carl

Only reason I got the X1 was because it was free. Preferred they had $500 discount option. Those that want X1 functionality might be better served waiting on the X10 with H.265.
post #7132 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

or

Thanks
Carl

Sony and most retail stores are including the X1 for free with the 65".
post #7133 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 09:24 AM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikbryan View Post

don't bet on Janelle being correct. I've had Sony online reps tell me that the x900a never needed hardware replacement for the media player then in fact early runs of the tv did need a board swap.
post #7134 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't count on Janelle, being correct, but I'm pretty sure the transcript will allow me to get a free upgrade if I push hard enough.
post #7135 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfam View Post

don't bet on Janelle being correct. I've had Sony online reps tell me that the x900a never needed hardware replacement for the media player then in fact early runs of the tv did need a board swap.

Well, I just got the same response from Carlos Joseph Dizon...

Carlos Joseph Dizon:  Yes, there will be a firmware update that will be a solution on the HEVC 265 and the upgrade is FREE. =)

D.:  OK, so the 9 0 0 A model will be getting a free upgrade so that it can have HEVC 265?

Carlos Joseph Dizon:  Yes, there will be an upgrade for that D. =)

D.:  And that upgrade is free for 9 0 0 A owners if I buy the 9 0 0 A?

D.:  So there really is no reason for me to wait for the B model then...?

Carlos Joseph Dizon:  Yes, it will be free.

Carlos Joseph Dizon:  Yes D. =)

D.:  Oh, OK, well, thanks a lot!

post #7136 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post

Sony and most retail stores are including the X1 for free with the 65".

Yes, that's what I was referring to with $3999 with the X1 included., but there are some stores offering the 65X900a for $3500 without the X1. I just wondered if it would be better to save the $500 and use it toward the X10 or other device to get streaming 4K.

CPTuell
post #7137 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

These customer service reps are pretty funny (and that's coming from a CSM). Saving these excerpts will do nothing. Didn't we try and 'prove' they said the 55 had full 1080p to each eye 3d?
RiED27880 and Covfam like this.
post #7138 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These customer service reps are pretty funny (and that's coming from a CSM). Saving these excerpts will do nothing. Didn't we try and 'prove' they said the 55 had full 1080p to each eye 3d?

If I remember correctly...

There were no hard copies of the transcripts of the communications.

You have two here now.

post #7139 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

If I remember correctly...

There were no hard copies of the transcripts of the communications.

You have two here now.

Wasn't it in the specs?

Anyway if you have been following this long I think you need to take the plunge, buddy wink.gif
post #7140 of 11379 Old 04-17-2014, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And I'm mainly saying "funny" because of their persistent and clumsy selling tactics. Customer service reps should not be (veiled) salesmen.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page