Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 241 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7201 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So guys I just bought the 55900a. I really like the way this TV looks. Since this is going in my family room I wanted something with decent sound without the 5.1 setup. I already have a HT stop in my basement with 60VT60 so I don’t need another one. What sold me on this one was the way the speakers on the sides look. So after two days of playing around I noticed a few things and I would like your opinion.
1) The viewing angle is somewhat limited. Once you start moving from the center the colors get washed out or distorted I should say. Is this normal?
2) The speakers: I heard a lot about how great the speakers are, but I didn't feel they were loud enough. So I went close to the TV and started listening to them by putting my ear against all 4 speakers and the 2 tweeters. What I found out was that I don’t hear anything from the top speakers on both sides. It seems the majority of the sound comes from the bottom speaker or from somewhere behind it. I read somewhere that there are two 70mm woofers behind the TV. Are there a total of 8 speakers, 6 in front 2 in the back? I will go and check the floor model at BB today, but is it the same for you guys ?
3) What other things should I check to make sure this is s good set?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post

My luck has been good. My 2003 Panasonic plasma never broke, though it suffered a slight amount of burn-in. My 2009 Samsung never had a single issue. My 2 year old Vizio is still going strong. What does all this mean? It means my luck is about to run out and I better get that extended warranty on my next TV! Actually I think I did have extended w's on the first two, which is why they never broke, hehe.
its like they know they are covered and just rather not break, but when you dont get warranty they bust in a year or two leaving you SOL! lol I hear you. Hopefully your luck still runs well my friend.
post #7203 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqasjamal View Post

So guys I just bought the 55900a. I really like the way this TV looks. Since this is going in my family room I wanted something with decent sound without the 5.1 setup. I already have a HT stop in my basement with 60VT60 so I don’t need another one. What sold me on this one was the way the speakers on the sides look. So after two days of playing around I noticed a few things and I would like your opinion.
1) The viewing angle is somewhat limited. Once you start moving from the center the colors get washed out or distorted I should say. Is this normal?
2) The speakers: I heard a lot about how great the speakers are, but I didn't feel they were loud enough. So I went close to the TV and started listening to them by putting my ear against all 4 speakers and the 2 tweeters. What I found out was that I don’t hear anything from the top speakers on both sides. It seems the majority of the sound comes from the bottom speaker or from somewhere behind it. I read somewhere that there are two 70mm woofers behind the TV. Are there a total of 8 speakers, 6 in front 2 in the back? I will go and check the floor model at BB today, but is it the same for you guys ?
Thanks
have you tryed adjusting the soung under "sound settings? i use Cinema option and it becomes literaly as surround sound at times. the base kicks better under that setting too. make sure you turn on the sound booster and turn up the voice volume to at least 4. That should make your speakers kick.
post #7204 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 09:41 AM

Which warranty would you guys recommend though ? Best Buy Geek Squad for $599 for 5 years or Square Trade for $299 for 5 years. I have had good experience with BB but never used Square Trade. With best buy they will replace the TV if they can fix it with 3 attempts. Square Trade will keep fixing it until the value of the TV runs out (basically until the repair cost reach $3K). I am referring to the 55" XBR900a
post #7205 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Thanks

There are different frequency ranges coming out of each speaker. The tweeter (middle) has just high frequency output and does not produce a lot of volume. The bottom one seems to be bulk of the volume and I think is more midrange. While I don't hear a lot of volume coming out of the top speaker it does seem to be weighted a lot more toward low end. That's just my take on it. If you want louder, as RiED said, enable the sound booster. If you want more even sound volume, especially for night viewing, disable the booster and use the night mode... unless I really want to rock out I use night mode. 

post #7206 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
OK my new 65x900a is here and siting on the stand warming up for a couple hours before I turn it on since it was 17 degrees this morning. The manufacture tag on the back says manufactured in Mexico March 2014 so I hope everything works out fine
post #7207 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfam View Post

OK my new 65x900a is here and siting on the stand warming up for a couple hours before I turn it on since it was 17 degrees this morning. The manufacture tag on the back says manufactured in Mexico March 2014 so I hope everything works out fine

My 55" says Jan 2014 Mexico. I hope everything is fine too smile.gif
post #7208 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:

There are different frequency ranges coming out of each speaker. The tweeter (middle) has just high frequency output and does not produce a lot of volume. The bottom one seems to be bulk of the volume and I think is more midrange. While I don't hear a lot of volume coming out of the top speaker it does seem to be weighted a lot more toward low end. That's just my take on it. If you want louder, as RiED said, enable the sound booster. If you want more even sound volume, especially for night viewing, disable the booster and use the night mode... unless I really want to rock out I use night mode. 

Actually, according to the specs there are just 6 working speakers. 

• Audio Power Output : 12.5W+12.5W+20W+20W
  • Speaker Configuration : 2.2ch, Two way speaker : Tweeter(18mm)x2, Woofer (Magnetic Fluid Speaker, 80mm)x2 + Sub Woofer(70mm)x2

So the top one may just be a dummy, for balanced look.

post #7209 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

The 65X900A will not dissapoint you. the 3D is OUTSTANDING, and the passive glasses makes it feel like you are at the theaters. Maybe even better IMO. I hate active glasses so if 3D is important to you, go with the X9A before they sell out. The X9B looks awesome, but i have no idea if its an improvement or if its more like a step backwards.

IMHO. Especially because theater projectors make blacks gray and whites yellow. Contrast range is a big part of 3d
RiED27880 likes this.
post #7210 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks

Also, according to the specs there are just 6 working speakers. 

• Audio Power Output : 12.5W+12.5W+20W+20W
  • Speaker Configuration : 2.2ch, Two way speaker : Tweeter(18mm)x2, Woofer (Magnetic Fluid Speaker, 80mm)x2 + Sub Woofer(70mm)x2

So the top one may just be a dummy, for balanced look... apparently something they weren't concerned about on the 2014's!

post #7211 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 10:47 AM

ran the latest firmware update on my 65X9 today and seems to have twiked things for the better instead of making it worse like on my previous 55". I'm glad it didnt screw up my picture smile.gif Now i'm hoping we do get a frew HEVC firmware soon as well, but i'm not convinced.
post #7212 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Just FYI, certain credit cards DOUBLE the manufacturers warranty. In this case that would mean a 3-year warranty. I always purchase with a credit card that does this. If you really want to save but still have some peace of mind. I don't know all the details because I have never had to use it, so you might want to check with your CC company, if you purchased with it.

That is correct except most cards that have that coverage add 1yr to the existing manufacturer's warranty up to 5yrs on some cards. Most cards double the warranty up to 1yr. There is a web site that lists the type cards and warranties they provide. I know for a fact, because I use it is the Visa Signature cards add 1 year to mfctrs warranty and you can purchase additional years. I don't know the cost, but I will be calling them and getting a quote. You would need to call Visa and register your purchase with them so they will have a record of it. All of the CC's companies have different versions of warranties and what and how long they will cover. Just google Credit Card extended warranties and that site will be one of them. Plus something this expensive can get you some good miles/points if you use those.

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
post #7213 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

Update. I'll admit this effect was too overwhelming when I popped in Under the Sea IMAX 3d. Moved it to 800" and was just fine, but you might also try moving the TVs depth slider to -1 or -2 to moderate the effect a tiny bit if you are seeing any ghosting or anomalies, an leaving screen size on the Oppo at 999. I liked this better than 800". Some disks -1, some -2 others 0 seems fine.

Unfortunately that setting on the TV won't stick and every time you go from 2d to 3d on the TV it will reset to 0

Having folks over today so maybe they will get headaches. Lol

flinch, I found this little nugget of info about the Oppo's screen size setting when searching for reviews of the 93 model:
Quote:
...the system lets you enter the size of your 3D display (diagonally) up to 999 inches. This number is passed directly to the BD-Java code on any 3D Blu-ray Discs so that the navigation program can adjust the display depth of pop-up menus and subtitles etc. The player does not use this information directly to control any video decoding or processing functions.

Taken from: http://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-and-dvd-player-reviews/oppo-bdp-93-full-review/video-processing-setup
post #7214 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 882
So does this mean that what flinchn thinks he has been observing is a figment of his imagination?
post #7215 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

You maybe one lucky person. If your set is made in March 2014. They may have included some of the new stuff in the set which will become active by a firmware update later on in the year. I'm just speculating here.
post #7216 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 12:37 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

So does this mean that what flinchn thinks he has been observing is a figment of his imagination?

AustinJerry, Is your pix settings good for the 55X850A
post #7217 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the TV? Just wondering who has a supply of recently made TVs.

post #7218 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashhos View Post

AustinJerry, Is your pix settings good for the 55X850A

Since I don't have one, I would not know. Perhaps someone with that set will respond.
post #7219 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

ran the latest firmware update on my 65X9 today and seems to have twiked things for the better instead of making it worse like on my previous 55". I'm glad it didnt screw up my picture smile.gif Now i'm hoping we do get a frew HEVC firmware soon as well, but i'm not convinced.

In all the firmware updates I have done, I have never had any of them result in a measurable difference in picture quality, nor has any update changed any setting either.
Geoff D likes this.
post #7220 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 12:47 PM

The 65" set is juts amaizing!!! It surprises me everyday.

RiED27880 likes this.
post #7221 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

OK, someone who knows more about this "stuff" than me may be able to explain this...

But why would Sony still be manufacturing the A model in March 2014?

Unless they just have a lot of A model parts that they want to get rid of...

That really makes no sense to me...

post #7222 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

OK, someone who knows more about this "stuff" than me may be able to explain this...

But why would Sony still be manufacturing the A model in March 2014?

That really makes no sense to me...

Maybe they feel there is still some demand and don't want to miss profits.

post #7223 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I would assume they have to use up all of the parts that specific model requires. I don't see how ALL of the components of the 2013 model could be recycled and/or used in newer models. Or perhaps the factory just has to meet certain quantities in the production run for each model and they're not quite there yet.
post #7224 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podolski View Post

The 65" set is juts amaizing!!! It surprises me everyday.

Is that Youtube or a Bluray? Looks great.
post #7225 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:

I didn't say that. biggrin.gif

What I can tell you is that I know changing the depth settings on my Panasonic works, because when I adjust the settings on the fly while viewing 3D test patterns I can see the convergence changing with every notch up/down on the scale...
post #7226 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laakness View Post

Is that Youtube or a Bluray? Looks great.

Its from youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgBDxFTTtk

I downloaded the video with 4k downloader and then i watched it from my computer in native 4k.
post #7227 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

No, what it probably means is that what Oppo did - had some unintended consequences...

And being that it appears it works in other 3D blu-ray players as well - it appears to be something that no one really intended to happen - but does...

post #7228 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

No, what it probably means is that what Oppo did - had some unintended consequences...

And being that it appears it works in other 3D blu-ray players as well - it appears to be something that no one really intended to happen - but does...

I'm sure you are correct.

I currently am testing this with the Spears&Munsil 3D demo material on my Oppo. Toggling between 999 and 65, I'm not seeing a lot of difference. Granted, it takes a few seconds to make the change because Oppo doesn't allow on-the-fly changes to the video settings, so my video memory may be preventing me from seeing a difference.

But my point is, why would you want to do this? The 3D content I have here looks stunning with the setting at 65. Why would I want to change it? Someone describe why changing the setting is an improvement, please.
post #7229 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 01:40 PM

Liked: 11

I have a question I live in los angeles is there any deals for the 65 900a other than the 4k price? I can sell some items to pay for the 4k but if any can help me out maybe another 500 drop in price or even 1000 if not maybe I will bite on this price. It would be weird in my very little bedroom though. I am replacing my existing xbr4 I bought in 08.

post #7230 of 12542 Old 04-18-2014, 02:14 PM

Liked: 43
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the TV? Just wondering who has a supply of recently made TVs.
i got mine from the way claire Wisconsin best buy. They didn't have any in Stock when I ordered it 2 & 1/2 weeks ago and took that long to get here
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page