Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 244 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7291 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknightman View Post

Does anyone else's 900a take bout 12 seconds to show a picture when you click on the power button?

If you have some USB keys or hard disks connected to the tv, the turn-on time is noticeably higher..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Oh that could be it for him I know of its that way on my LG 55lm8600 it's like it's spending all the processor power detecting the USB connected object.
post #7293 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 05:16 AM

Btw am I the only one a Lil dismayed that Sony has 720p smart TV ui on their premium 4k TV? I noticed that the TV's Amazon video Sony streams video better than the Amazon fire TV box (but worse with Netflix and hulu plus) yet the ui looks like they blew up a 720p up on the TV apps. I'd have liked it if Sony didn't go so half assed with its SEN
post #7294 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 05:24 AM

Liked: 17
Coming from two matte flat screens the glare on 65X900A is noticeable but in a dark room at night the picture is just jaw dropping amazing. I'll have to adapt since I don't have the option of a media room. Except for weekends, I'm usually not home before dark so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Any on the fence on this TV should just get it from a source with a good return policy and take the plunge. I doubt it would be returned. Only my second day but it can only be uphill from here as I learn the new features and make some more calibrations or hire a professional to remove the guess work.

Only downside is I fear I'm going to gain more weight. smile.gif
wase4711 and RiED27880 like this.
post #7295 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARRIGA View Post

Coming from two matte flat screens the glare on 65X900A is noticeable but in a dark room at night the picture is just jaw dropping amazing. I'll have to adapt since I don't have the option of a media room. Except for weekends, I'm usually not home before dark so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Any on the fence on this TV should just get it from a source with a good return policy and take the plunge. I doubt it would be returned. Only my second day but it can only be uphill from here as I learn the new features and make some more calibrations or hire a professional to remove the guess work.

i agree garriga this picture is nothing short of amazing and not just the up conversion, resolution aside the picture quality is the best I've ever seen on an led. It's fabulous. And watching the Hobbit in 3d and avatar 3d, how to train a dragon in 3d, I can say seeing full hd passive 3d is awesome no crosstalk no ghosting no fuzziness just jaw dropping. THIS would have mad 3d at home a success if it was available back then!
wase4711, Geoff D and RiED27880 like this.
post #7296 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 80
its good that you guys see what we have all be raving about for the last several months...there is no doubt this tv is awesum, and, anyone who doesn't buy one has no clue on what they are missing!

After 6 months I am still blown away by stuff; even the commercials are incredible!
RiED27880 likes this.
post #7297 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 06:00 AM

I'm most impressed with how YouTube is so improved In picture quality. That has nothing to do with 4K and all about the processing. My understanding. Having future proofed myself for 4K is gravy.

Taking the family out for Easter breakfast but later today I'm going to watch some 1080 Netflix. Got a small glimps yesterday and that was impressive. Also watched Catcing Fire VOD 1080p source and very impressed. Can't wait to see 4K content. Might hook up the X1 just for the clips but I fear I'll spoil myself and will struggle with 720p/1080i broadcasts. Perhaps just a small peak. Can't wait to see the Super Bowl in 4K, assuming they offer that next year.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #7298 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

So I am going to buy this TV. I just need to figure out the best place to cover my wallet. Best Buy gives me reward points, but they told me earlier today that they only price match for 15 days. I don't know that Sony is going to drop the price again so soon. Does Sony online offer 30 day price match? How about Amazon or any other options? I am sorry if this conversation violates AVS rules. As I said, I just want to provide myself a little future leverage for further price drops. Thanks in advance for any information.

FYI, if you are a AAA member you can get 10% off the price ($400) If you sign up at the Sony Online Store using the AAA code. You can get the code by logging into the AAA site.

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
post #7299 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARRIGA View Post

Jaw dropping is correct! Its breath taking at times. This is an amazing set! Makes you want to watch EVERYTHING in the collection all over again biggrin.gif
post #7300 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

its good that you guys see what we have all be raving about for the last several months...there is no doubt this tv is awesum, and, anyone who doesn't buy one has no clue on what they are missing!

After 6 months I am still blown away by stuff; even the commercials are incredible!

you aren't kidding! I was blown away by the PQ of my 55" for almost a year, and now I'm SPOILED by the awesomeness of the 65" lol as someone said eariler, 3D might have been a success if it had been introduced first in passive full HD on the X900A. Watching Immortals 3D was nothing short of spectacular!
post #7301 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTuell View Post

FYI, if you are a AAA member you can get 10% off the price ($400) If you sign up at the Sony Online Store using the AAA code. You can get the code by logging into the AAA site.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I am not a member. I ordered the TV from Best Buy last night. I scheduled a delivery for Friday.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #7302 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 08:17 AM

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitico303 View Post

If you have some USB keys or hard disks connected to the tv, the turn-on time is noticeably higher..
Thanks for the info but I only have my dish, oppo and ps4 connected and it takes forever. Btw my manufacture date is April 2014.
post #7303 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 09:38 AM

Netflix streaming in Super HD is sharp to the point I may not bother with BD unless seeking something new. For that I may just use the X1 if they start populating it with new releases. Otherwise DirecTV VOD might due. The color representation even with Netflix is mind boggling and this is still without proper calibration. Blues, reds and greens are true to form. I think my days of smelling burped up hot dogs and over buttered pop corn might be over. Love the sound as well. May just add a sub woofer, if possible and call it a day.

For those not appreciative of the ears just remember that in a dark room they completely disappear and the TV just draws you in to the picture. Also, if considering the 55 but you have room for the 65 perhaps worth the extra coin when viewing letterbox movies where the bottom and top don't fully fill the screen. I'm actually noticing a difference over my previous 61". The extra real-estate really helps. It must be that much more dramatic over the 55. Aesthetically the most pleasing TV I found. Ears included when visible.
post #7304 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 10:47 AM

Liked: 13

Been following this thread for a while doing my research. Just thought I would post that HHGregg.com has the 65" for 15% off the $3999.00 price till 10am tomorrow using the discount code :eastereggs.

Regards and thanks for all the excellent feedback and early adopter thoughts and experiences with this set. 

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."Aristotle
post #7305 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 11:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

1-The media player audio can be passed through the TV and on to the AVR using the HDMI connection between the TV and the AVR, thus requiring only one HDMI connection to the media player. An alternate method is to connect a second HDMI cable to HDMI2 on the media player directly to the AVR. A number of users, including myself, have experienced audio issues with the HDMI2 connection. I believe the single-cable connection requires ARC to be configured between the TV and the AVR for hi-res audio to work properly.

2-Only early production models required the HDMI board swap-out. You would need to check your build date.

3-The media player does not support a wireless connection natively, so a direct Ethernet connection is required. In my configuration, the X900 is connected wirelessly, so this works fine.

4-The most robust sound would come from audio playing through your home theater speakers, although the speakers in the TV are actually quite good (for casual listening, IMO). Either way will work.

I have just orderd the 65x900a and the media player and I have several questions regarding connecting it through an AV Receiver and hope you can help.
1. Per sony the media player must be connected to HDMI4 "It is special for the media player" :-). If you are connecting the media player directly to a 4k supported AVR does the output of the AVR need to be connected to HDMI4 on the TV?
2. If you connect the media player directly to the AVR will you get all the Dolby Digital formats like DD HD 7.1? The other output says it only supports 5.1.
3. Is it better to get an AVR that upscales or just pass-through since the TV does a good job of upscaling per the other users?
4. To play the 4k blu-ray movies do you need a dedicated 4k supported blu-ray player?
Thanks,
post #7306 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleasyridr View Post

I have just orderd the 65x900a and the media player and I have several questions regarding connecting it through an AV Receiver and hope you can help.
1. Per sony the media player must be connected to HDMI4 "It is special for the media player" :-). If you are connecting the media player directly to a 4k supported AVR does the output of the AVR need to be connected to HDMI4 on the TV?
2. If you connect the media player directly to the AVR will you get all the Dolby Digital formats like DD HD 7.1? The other output says it only supports 5.1.
3. Is it better to get an AVR that upscales or just pass-through since the TV does a good job of upscaling per the other users?
4. To play the 4k blu-ray movies do you need a dedicated 4k supported blu-ray player?
Thanks,

1. The player needs to be connected the the display directly from HDMI1 on the player to HDMI4 on the TV. This connection is for the video content (assuming you will use the AVR for the audio). You cannot route video from the player through the AVR.

2. The player connects to the AVR using the player's HDMI2 connection. To enable audio this way, you need to go into the player's menu and select "Audio output to HDMI2". This connection should support DD 5.1 and hi-res audio through the AVR. However, as mentioned frequently in this thread, many of us are experiencing audio issues such as dropouts and intermittent connections when connecting this way.

3. Up-scaling in the AVR does not provide any better result than allowing the Sony Bravia scaler to do the work. And, since the video goes directly from the player to the display, 4K pass-through in the AVR is not required.

4. There is no such thing as a 4K Blu-ray move, nor are there any native 4K Blu-ray players in the market yet. Perhaps by the end of this year we may start to see 4K Blu-ray. Expect to see 4K video streaming from sources like Netflix sooner (however the X900a doesn't support this streaming method yet, unfortunately).
wase4711 likes this.
post #7307 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknightman View Post

Does anyone else's 900a take bout 12 seconds to show a picture when you click on the power button?

The display goes through a boot-up sequence, so it is not fully functional until the process completes. I see a "No signal..." message while this is going on, but eventually the picture appears. I haven't timed it, but 12 seconds sounds about right. Since I know it will always complete successfully, this has never concerned me. Do you find this small delay somehow annoying?
post #7308 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:

The display goes through a boot-up sequence, so it is not fully functional until the process completes. I see a "No signal..." message while this is going on, but eventually the picture appears. I haven't timed it, but 12 seconds sounds about right. Since I know it will always complete successfully, this has never concerned me. Do you find this small delay somehow annoying?
Yea just a little bit though. My main concern was making sure everything with the tv was ok. If that's normal the picture is good I can live with it. I just want to make sure it's not defective you know.
post #7309 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 176
My 900a shows the Sony logo at 2 seconds, then takes another 8 seconds for the cable box signal to show. So I guess we're all in the same time frame.

eta: If you notice, the menu isn't available for a good 10 seconds more until it's fully populated.

I do like that when turned off, you don't get the clicks and pops that are numerous and noticeable on my XBR5 as the relays and processors shut down.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
--- Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #7310 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys I am thinking of switching from my 55" to 65" if best buy will price match hhgregs at $3400. I will probably get the media player for free. How much do you guys think I can sell it for ? Will I get at least $350 for it ?
post #7311 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that a new media player has already been announced, I have doubts that you will be able to sell it.
post #7312 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by waqasjamal View Post

Guys I am thinking of switching from my 55" to 65" if best buy will price match hhgregs at $3400. I will probably get the media player for free. How much do you guys think I can sell it for ? Will I get at least $350 for it ?

You don't get the media player and the 15% discount, only the TV by itself is discounted. And have you heard of ebay? Just look at completed listings to see what they are selling for.

post #7313 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post

You don't get the media player and the 15% discount, only the TV by itself is discounted. And have you heard of ebay? Just look at completed listings to see what they are selling for.

THIS!!

BTW, I sold mine for 450 about 6 weeks ago, before the x10 was announced..
post #7314 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

THIS!!

BTW, I sold mine for 450 about 6 weeks ago, before the x10 was announced..

i sold mine at Ebay before the X10 was annouced as well and got 400 for it biggrin.gif i only paid 450 for it to begin with, so atleast i got more than half for it back. people who still have the X1 might as well hold on to it.
post #7315 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

My 900a shows the Sony logo at 2 seconds, then takes another 8 seconds for the cable box signal to show. So I guess we're all in the same time frame.

eta: If you notice, the menu isn't available for a good 10 seconds more until it's fully populated.

I do like that when turned off, you don't get the clicks and pops that are numerous and noticeable on my XBR5 as the relays and processors shut down.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
--- Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---

Thank you so much for the answers. No need to worry then bout the display. I really appreciate it

post #7316 of 11352 Old 04-20-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I thought I posted this in this thread, but I posted it to the 850 thread.

You can get a free Hulu Plus 1 year subscription with this TV using this link:
http://www.hulu.com/plus/SonyTV2013

Just enter the activation code from the TV's "one week trial" into the web site, and you will get a 1 year activation.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #7317 of 11352 Old 04-21-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

I thought I posted this in this thread, but I posted it to the 850 thread.

You can get a free Hulu Plus 1 year subscription with this TV using this link:
http://www.hulu.com/plus/SonyTV2013

Just enter the activation code from the TV's "one week trial" into the web site, and you will get a 1 year activation.

I called Sony yesterday and was told that the one year free promotion for Netflix and Hulu expired on December 31st, 2013. Also, this saids new memberships. I wonder if it works if you had previously done their free trial as I have already. I ended up restarting my Netflix perhaps the rep misinformed me. Wouldn't be the first time a Sony rep gave me conflicting information.
post #7318 of 11352 Old 04-21-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Perhaps try another email address for Hulu. That's what I did. I already have Netflix so I didn't try.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #7319 of 11352 Old 04-21-2014, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Just placed an order for the 55 inch version!
Does anyone know how long the power cable is? And if it is removable?
post #7320 of 11352 Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post

Just placed an order for the 55 inch version!
Does anyone know how long the power cable is? And if it is removable?

Not sure of 55" but the 65/900 does not have a removable power cord, and the length isn't overly generous, maybe 5' at best.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
nishant786 likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page