Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 250 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7471 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Maybe I'm blind but I can't seem to find your settings AustinJerry...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

Maybe I'm blind but I can't seem to find your settings AustinJerry...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473062/official-sony-x9-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread/1680#post_23738351

scroll down to "display settings."

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
--- Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #7473 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

The B series are not even out yet so not sure how you can say the A is better all round. With regard to sonys customer service, I've had great experience with them replacing my x850a with the x900B as well from other posts like Reid's it seems they are more than generous with customers who purchased 4k sets and making sure they are happy. I had a nightmare experience with Samsung that I don't even want to get into... Sonys service has been A-1 in my books so far.

you said it! i was thinking the exact same thing. The people who bought the curved Sony LED (2013) are saying that Sony's customer service was awefull with them, and were told that the banding issues in the curved panel are "normal LED standards" LOL the hell they are!!! no where near the customer service i got from Sony in regards to my 55" 4k being replaced, and more than once. I think there was a memo to sony's customer service reps to make sure 4k customers get well taken cared off. Oh, and dont get me started on the NIGHTMARE Samsung's customer service is like!!!!! lol
post #7474 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473062/official-sony-x9-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread/1680#post_23738351

scroll down to "display settings."

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
--- Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---

Sweet thanks
post #7475 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just picked up the 65" on Amazon for $2999 open box no tax and $60 shipping. Hard to pass up at that price. Any suggestions on the slimmest wall mount for it?
post #7476 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

The B series are not even out yet so not sure how you can say the A is better all round. With regard to sonys customer service, I've had great experience with them replacing my x850a with the x900B as well from other posts like Reid's it seems they are more than generous with customers who purchased 4k sets and making sure they are happy. I had a nightmare experience with Samsung that I don't even want to get into... Sonys service has been A-1 in my books so far.

can you elaborate why you went from x850a to x900b (besides the decoder)? You have other issues? 900b is also active 3d is it not?

post #7477 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

you said it! i was thinking the exact same thing. The people who bought the curved Sony LED (2013) are saying that Sony's customer service was awefull with them, and were told that the banding issues in the curved panel are "normal LED standards" LOL the hell they are!!! no where near the customer service i got from Sony in regards to my 55" 4k being replaced, and more than once. I think there was a memo to sony's customer service reps to make sure 4k customers get well taken cared off. Oh, and dont get me started on the NIGHTMARE Samsung's customer service is like!!!!! lol

Yea, but hasn't it taken you months to get where you are now? :D

post #7478 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post

can you elaborate why you went from x850a to x900b (besides the decoder)? You have other issues? 900b is also active 3d is it not?

My set had clouding and the finger bleed from both sides. I called Sony just see what they could do as I was still within my 30 day return window at Future shop. The customer service rep said there was no fix for the issue and they would probably just replace the set. I just had to send them pictures of the issue and a copy of my receipt. Received an email within a few days stating they'd replace it with the 900B... not bad considering the TV was a demo model and I got it for under Sony.com's MSRP. I could care less about 3D, when I first bought a TV it was a buying decision but I never watch it anymore.. might be because it's active but whatever.

Flip side I had the same issue with a Samsung es7500 and after 3 different panels I still had the issue. After the last repair Samsung told me to take a hike.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #7479 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:

My set had clouding and the finger bleed from both sides. I called Sony just see what they could do as I was still within my 30 day return window at Future shop. The customer service rep said there was no fix for the issue and they would probably just replace the set. I just had to send them pictures of the issue and a copy of my receipt. Received an email within a few days stating they'd replace it with the 900B... not bad considering the TV was a demo model and I got it for under Sony.com's MSRP. I could care less about 3D, when I first bought a TV it was a buying decision but I never watch it anymore.. might be because it's active but whatever.

Flip side I had the same issue with a Samsung es7500 and after 3 different panels I still had the issue. After the last repair Samsung told me to take a hike.

Cool, here's hoping the 900B doesn't have the same issues. Holding out for the new versions as well.

post #7480 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Yea, but hasn't it taken you months to get where you are now? biggrin.gif

well, yes, but that is because i waited for months at a time before calling biggrin.gif but over all, they were pretty easy to deal with. Night and day compared to Samsung.
post #7481 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Cool, here's hoping the 900B doesn't have the same issues. Holding out for the new versions as well.
review it when you get the X9B man smile.gif curious to see what the difference is. I'm kind of surprised you're going active though.
post #7482 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

review it when you get the X9B man smile.gif curious to see what the difference is. I'm kind of surprised you're going active though.

Not gonna do it. I will never go active. They couldn't give me a free active 3D TV. I'd rather just not have 3D. I would have to get the 850B, but I doubt its going to be all that. I will just have to wait and see. The x9a is all I really want, but I haven't decided on getting the massive 65er yet. I need to wait a month or so. If there are still some left and HEVC is solved in some form and the price is $500 less, then who knows, I might. For now I just have to watch the playoffs on my little Viz  :confused:... go Stars/Mavs! :D 

Geoff D and RiED27880 like this.
post #7483 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everybody

I read during this thread somebody had added a subwoofer to the TV. Could anybody confirm that you can do this and how (I think the original poster mentioned the headphone port). I know this is not relevant to most owner with existing 5.1 set ups lol.

Cheers
post #7484 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 156
Quote:

Not gonna do it. I will never go active. They couldn't give me a free active 3D TV. I'd rather just not have 3D. I would have to get the 850B, but I doubt its going to be all that. I will just have to wait and see. The x9a is all I really want, but I haven't decided on getting the massive 65er yet. I need to wait a month or so. If there are still some left and HEVC is solved in some form and the price is $500 less, then who knows, I might. For now I just have to watch the playoffs on my little Viz  :confused:... go Stars/Mavs! :D 

What is so wrong with active 3D?

Why do most people prefer passive 3D?

And why would Sony change it to Active - if it was not "better"?

post #7485 of 12158 Old 04-25-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 733

If you do an internet search "active vs. passive 3D", you will find a number of articles explaining the difference, with opinions on why one might be better than the other. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7486 of 12158 Old 04-26-2014, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Besides the visual differences and the cost/comfort of the active glasses, there is another issue which, while it only affects a minority of people, can be a huge issue- there are some people who detect the flicker of the active glasses and it effects motion sickness, which can be very severe- nausea, migraines, etc. Within 30 sec. of watching active 3D on the 850a got really sick. After my head cleared, I was fine watching it on the 900a, so for me it is a huge difference. Others hate the weight and cost of the active glasses, need to recharge them, etc.. The 65" 900a has a 1080 resolution to each eye, while it is only 540 in the 55", so the passive 3D in the 55" is reputed to be inferior to the active, but in the 65" the full resolution to each eye really enhances the passive 3D effect.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #7487 of 12158 Old 04-26-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

Active SHOULD be better than passive on paper, being full resolution to each eye rather than half-res (apart from the bigger 4K passive sets, of course).

But it's the shoddy implementation of it that kills me, because the crosstalk is dreadful on Sony's active sets. Worse than that, you might get a movie which, for some reason, is crosstalk-free and looks amazing, and then you'll play another which is so bad it's like the glasses aren't even working. It's not just Sony either, I've read similar reports about active on Samsung, LG etc.

That's why you couldn't pay me to take another active set, so much so I've settled for 540p passive on my 55" (which still looks AMAZING) rather than 1080p active. Don't get me wrong, if someone showed me an active set which had practically zero crosstalk then I'd be all over it like white on rice - but that ain't gonna happen....
RiED27880 likes this.
post #7488 of 12158 Old 04-26-2014, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

Cheaper to produce? Choice arrangements with suppliers of one tech over another? Why would you be under the impression that a for profit company cares more about viewer experience than their margins? (Which aren't so good for the Sony TV division/subsidiary, I believe)

It's great that Sony is "taking care" of 4k owners, but remember they are doing so because they know we aren't shy about plunking down several thousand dollars as we wish. No family living paycheck to paycheck saved 7k over the past 10 years to buy a 65" 4k TV in 2013. And that is the financial situation for most every consumer.

There are loads of passive 3d impressions in this thread. Active proponents will point out the half resolution-nullified by the 65". Then they will say 3d is dead. I have not heard another valid argument for active.

And I don't think 3d is dead. Action and animation films keep coming out in 3d theaters. What I have noticed is the 3d versions of Bluray's can be tricky to locate. I couldn't figure out why I had problems finding the 3d version of Metallica 3d IMAX "Through the Never" only to later learn it was a Best Buy exclusive! Amazon doesn't always denote the 3d versions of titles for preorders either.

I think if anything, active is what will kill 3d at home because it is a hassle and "not like the theater". Is there a manufacturer committed to passive technology? I don't think so. Tells me there is something else going on.

Having worked with the MPAA - I will tell you, the theater chains will keep 3d alive for the foreseeable future and their lobby is so powerful they can leverage the studios to do whatever they want.

Why do you think you can't stream a 0 day film release at home, at any price?
RiED27880 likes this.

Light controlled environment---

post #7489 of 12158 Old 04-26-2014, 07:36 AM

The only manufacturer which appears to be committed to passive 3D is LG. Even their 55" 4K set has full 1080p 3D. The odd thing is that when I tried it in the store it looked amazing and ghost-free as expected, but when I took one home it was nothing but ghosting. I'm sure the set was bad, and if that were the only issue I would have just exchanged it. But the LG standard 2D picture was not in the same league as the Sony X9. The magic remote is a cool device but I hate having to use it. Would be nice as an option but not as a main remote... but that's a minor point since any universal will do the job. The other cool thing about the LG though is its built-in HEVC decoder.. you can watch 4K from a thumb drive... which I didn't even try because I was too stupid at the time. 

post #7490 of 12158 Old 04-26-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
post #7491 of 12158 Old 04-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:

The only manufacturer which appears to be committed to passive 3D is LG. Even their 55" 4K set has full 1080p 3D. The odd thing is that when I tried it in the store it looked amazing and ghost-free as expected, but when I took one home it was nothing but ghosting. I'm sure the set was bad, and if that were the only issue I would have just exchanged it. But the LG standard 2D picture was not in the same league as the Sony X9. The magic remote is a cool device but I hate having to use it. Would be nice as an option but not as a main remote... but that's a minor point since any universal will do the job. The other cool thing about the LG though is its built-in HEVC decoder.. you can watch 4K from a thumb drive... which I didn't even try because I was too stupid at the time. 

according to the owners thread, the claimed HEVC support on the LGs doesn't work, i.e. no usb playback or streaming, yet.

post #7492 of 12158 Old 04-26-2014, 11:07 AM

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceslim0 View Post

I'll go ahead and pop in those settings tonight and see how things look. I'm still confused on the PS4 issue. Has anybody here used a game console as their primary means of playing blurays? I'd like to avoid buying a standalone bluray player.

The "ECO" setting were my major problem. These are on NOT set on the "picture setting" but the main menu where you setup stuff like networks, and so on. Find ECO and turn all that stuff off.
post #7493 of 12158 Old 04-26-2014, 11:11 AM

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect9 View Post

Hello everybody

I read during this thread somebody had added a subwoofer to the TV. Could anybody confirm that you can do this and how (I think the original poster mentioned the headphone port). I know this is not relevant to most owner with existing 5.1 set ups lol.

Cheers

That would be me.

I used the headphone output, and fiddled with the audio setting on the main menu (near where you setup the network, and fiddled with the part where the headphones are audio output and the main speakers are also on. It will make sense when you find this.

The TV doesn't do much below 200 HZ according to my calibration equipment so I didn't fiddle with the equalization.
post #7494 of 12158 Old 04-26-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

Why would you be under the impression that a for profit company cares more about viewer experience than their margins? (Which aren't so good for the Sony TV division/subsidiary, I believe)

Because if everyone seems to prefer passive 3D - bringing out your new line of 2014 TVs that have active 3D - doesn't sell a lot of TVs...

So, no profit...

That was my point.

post #7495 of 12158 Old 04-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

Because if everyone seems to prefer passive 3D - bringing out your new line of 2014 TVs that have active 3D - doesn't sell a lot of TVs...

So, no profit...

That was my point.

Not that easy. It's not like there's a groundswell of consumers clamoring for passive or nothing. Owners on this thread are a very small sample size. Sony has an estimate of how many will buy which model. Then they pick the cheapest tech although they factor in staying competitive and avoiding bad press, risk of massive returns and warranty repairs, etc.

on the other hand, They might even take a loss per set to propagate 4k. Certainly happens with new game consoles.

Light controlled environment---

post #7496 of 12158 Old 04-26-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:

I find passive to be better for a few simple reasons, i can watch two or three 3D blurays back to back with my passive glasses and my eyes will not be as tired as the first half an hour of active shutter glasses. I also find that passive 3D is brighter, the "pop" out effect is much better as well. Just an over all greater and more enjoyable experience.
post #7497 of 12158 Old 04-27-2014, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
One quick question. Can I use an HDMI 1 to 2 High Speed Splitter to connect to my DirecTv Genie to send the video to the X900A and the audio to my Denon AVR 3808ci ? If so any recommendations for the splitter would be appreciated.

Thanks
Carl

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
post #7498 of 12158 Old 04-27-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I'm still thinking of this set because of the passive 3d on the 65". But that's it. I kept going to my local bestbuy and spotted an 80" 2k set that takes the cake. Sharp 80UQ17U. Amazing. The q+. Picture quality was very comparable. It does have active 3d but comes with 2 pairs of glasses. The 80" is roughly 500 more. I mean what a hard choice. I'm still debating.

Since the x900b is now active and the x850 is missing the local dimming of the x900b the new sets from sony just aren't a good value.

This leaves the x900a.

Or the 80" Sharp.

The Sharp plays 4k content too. And you could just keep your current collection of blurays.

Man oh man. What to do.
post #7499 of 12158 Old 04-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I dont think I could sleep at night if I spent 6,000 dollars on a Sharp TV...
post #7500 of 12158 Old 04-27-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTuell View Post

One quick question. Can I use an HDMI 1 to 2 High Speed Splitter to connect to my DirecTv Genie to send the video to the X900A and the audio to my Denon AVR 3808ci ? If so any recommendations for the splitter would be appreciated.

Thanks
Carl

What are you trying to accomplish? Why not send the DirecTV (audio and video via HDMI) to the 3808 and let it pass the video on to the display?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page