Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 256 - AVS Forum
First ... 254  255  256 257  258  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
Geoff D's Avatar Geoff D 06:15 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Geoff and Austin - does your TV have this?

Yeah, I see a little bit of that dappling along the top and bottom edges on very bright scenes. Nothing so bad as to ever detract from what I'm watching. And besides, I'm a big movie fan so I'm usually watching 2.35 material on the TV anyway. biggrin.gif

Shape's Avatar Shape 06:18 PM 04-30-2014
Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides is as amazing in 3D as Frozen and Brave are on this TV.

I'm guessing they are all this amazing, then. smile.gif

Desolation of Smaug is next! biggrin.gif
Darkknightman's Avatar Darkknightman 06:37 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTuell View Post

Just went through settings adj last night. Very little if any clouding on black screens. How ever I do have some shadowing around the top and bottom edges on light solid color screens. In the pics you can see it the most in the corners and along the top edge(looks like small darker water fall). Has anyone else had or have this issue? Do you know if it would get worse or maybe better over time? Would you return the set for this and maybe end up worse off. It's not to noticeable during programming but since I know it's there I catch myself looking for it.

Thanks
I had the exact same issue on my last set. I believe mine was worse tho. I ended up exchanging it for another 900a and I couldn't be happier with my set
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 06:43 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Yeah, I see a little bit of that dappling along the top and bottom edges on very bright scenes. Nothing so bad as to ever detract from what I'm watching. And besides, I'm a big movie fan so I'm usually watching 2.35 material on the TV anyway. biggrin.gif

Guys, I'm not sure exactly how to test this.  However, I put the AVSHD 709 test pattern DVD into the player and displayed full-screen gray-scale test pictures at 10%, 5%, and 0%, and here are the results:

I don't see any issues with any of the screen shots I have posted, i.e. all show a uniformity that is perfectly acceptable under normal viewing situations.  So I would have to conclude that no, I don't see the issues that others have reported.  If you can suggest another test, I'll be glad to conduct it.

CJ4life's Avatar CJ4life 06:50 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ4life View Post

How's the motion on this set? I was watching King Kong on it in a sony store and I couldn't help but see the motion as not being very smooth. Granted these are store settings, but does playing with the motionflow settings improve things considerably? Otherwise, it's kind of a huge turnoff.

Another thing is that 1080p content will be the predominant content for the foreseeable future obviously. How does it fare in that department once settings and calibration has been done? Does it at least perform like one of the best HD LED TVs? Is it maybe even a little better thanks to the upscaling?

Thanks for anyone that takes the time to reply, I really appreciate it.
Just reposting this from the last page seeing as it seemed to get lost in the other posts.

Thanks.
Geoff D's Avatar Geoff D 06:51 PM 04-30-2014
Jerry, why did you start at 10% and go lower from there? Put a 100% pattern up and check dem corners.
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 06:55 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:

Jerry, why did you start at 10% and go lower from there? Put a 100% pattern up and check dem corners.

I never said I knew what I was doing, Geoff.  ;)  Here you are.  Still looks good to me.  What do you think?

Geoff D's Avatar Geoff D 07:05 PM 04-30-2014
As Apone says in Aliens: Check those corners! I can see what appears to be traces of that dappled effect at top right and top left, but without a closer shot of the corners I can't be sure.
rastargate's Avatar rastargate 07:39 PM 04-30-2014
This is how my TV almost got delivered today. It was so poorly packaged (open box from Amazon) that UPS would not deliver it.

Sad Ray frown.gif

AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 07:51 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:

As Apone says in Aliens: Check those corners! I can see what appears to be traces of that dappled effect at top right and top left, but without a closer shot of the corners I can't be sure.

If you can't be sure, then it can't be that bad. I'm not going to obsess about it.
Shape's Avatar Shape 09:21 PM 04-30-2014
It seems the best way to check for clouding is to turn off the dimming and put the PS3 pause icon on a black screen. The two flashlights at the top have been concerning me because I can see the variation when an image scrolls horizontally. Once you turn the dimming on, all the clouding goes away but you can still see the variation.

I also noticed I have a stuck pixel! frown.gif

I think it's getting swapped at Best Buy. I hope the new one isn't worse.

Mrorange303's Avatar Mrorange303 09:29 PM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

If you can't be sure, then it can't be that bad. I'm not going to obsess about it.
your set is good. You won't find better. It is as designed. Clean pics.
everunman's Avatar everunman 12:05 AM 05-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastargate View Post

This is how my TV almost got delivered today. It was so poorly packaged (open box from Amazon) that UPS would not deliver it.

Sad Ray frown.gif ]

Wow thats crazy, mine was delivered like a one million dollar painting
CSPerera's Avatar CSPerera 12:43 AM 05-01-2014
Quote:

Sad Ray frown.gif

That has to be the most shocking delivery of an electrical item I have ever seen. It looks like that TV has had it. Yep I second that- I bought mine from the Sony Store and mine was taken into possession like the Mona Lisa!!! Why? because I delivered it myself!!

RiED27880's Avatar RiED27880 06:05 AM 05-01-2014
Quote:

I never said I knew what I was doing, Geoff.  wink.gif   Here you are.  Still looks good to me.  What do you think?

this is how my set looks too smile.gif i guess ALL edge LEDs dysplay some sort of artifact when the camera pans side to side at times but its not so distracting to me, Big screens are not perfect. But this tv is by far the best, uniformity wise, compared to other edgelit sets and even some full array tvs. smile.gif
RiED27880's Avatar RiED27880 06:10 AM 05-01-2014
Quote:

Sad Ray frown.gif

WOW! I would not keep that set if it was delivered to me on those conditions man. Good thing you didnt. looks terrible, i dont care how much it was disscounted on amazon,
Geoff D's Avatar Geoff D 06:18 AM 05-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

this is how my set looks too smile.gif i guess ALL edge LEDs dysplay some sort of artifact when the camera pans side to side at times but its not so distracting to me, Big screens are not perfect. But this tv is by far the best, uniformity wise, compared to other edgelit sets and even some full array tvs. smile.gif

My sentiments exactly. The X9 series has far and away the best uniformity I've yet seen on an LCD screen, and having worked in a Sony Centre for many years I've seen a few!!
Stereodude's Avatar Stereodude 06:32 AM 05-01-2014
Quote:

Sad Ray frown.gif]
YIKES!!! And here I thought UPS didn't have any standards.

Btw, I miss your legendary thread. biggrin.gif
sdMCM66's Avatar sdMCM66 06:35 AM 05-01-2014
Quote:

Sad Ray frown.gif

LOL, when they say "open box" they really mean it.

lbass's Avatar lbass 06:48 AM 05-01-2014
I'm looking to pick this forum's brains! I had a 55" 950 which I loved where an entire row of dead pixels developed so it is being replaced. Unfortunately in Australia there are no more of these sets left so I have to have a replacement from the new range. I was offered the x850A as a replacement but clearly from the size of this thread it's the far less popular TV. I'm working with a fairly tight space so the speakers are a really annoying addition for me with the x9 but I'd much prefer a passive 3D set. However I was annoyed to find out that the 55" x9 doesn't give two 1920 x 1080 images. To me the whole advantage of 4K currently is that ability for 3D, the 55" mustn't look very sharp in 3D (having never seen it myself). Interested in some feedback because I'm wondering if at 55" the 850A is the way to go and at 65" the x9 is the way to go. Clearly all of you went the x9 so why was that? Thanks for any help/clarifications.
Mrorange303's Avatar Mrorange303 08:08 AM 05-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbass View Post

I'm looking to pick this forum's brains! I had a 55" 950 which I loved where an entire row of dead pixels developed so it is being replaced. Unfortunately in Australia there are no more of these sets left so I have to have a replacement from the new range. I was offered the x850A as a replacement but clearly from the size of this thread it's the far less popular TV. I'm working with a fairly tight space so the speakers are a really annoying addition for me with the x9 but I'd much prefer a passive 3D set. However I was annoyed to find out that the 55" x9 doesn't give two 1920 x 1080 images. To me the whole advantage of 4K currently is that ability for 3D, the 55" mustn't look very sharp in 3D (having never seen it myself). Interested in some feedback because I'm wondering if at 55" the 850A is the way to go and at 65" the x9 is the way to go. Clearly all of you went the x9 so why was that? Thanks for any help/clarifications.
850a is active 3d.

Now you may want to check out the 2014 850b. That set is passive.

I would go with the 65 x900a.
HDTVAV's Avatar HDTVAV 08:36 AM 05-01-2014
Quote:

Could the reason for your set looking so good - without the "swirls" - be because of your settings?

Stereodude's Avatar Stereodude 10:02 AM 05-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post

850a is active 3d.

Now you may want to check out the 2014 850b. That set is passive.
And apparently a poor display in terms of black level due to the IPS panel.
Carlos_E's Avatar Carlos_E 12:54 PM 05-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

And apparently a poor display in terms of black level due to the IPS panel.

The X850B uses an IPS panel or are you referring to the W950B?
Stereodude's Avatar Stereodude 01:00 PM 05-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post

The X850B uses an IPS panel or are you referring to the W950B?
X850B
Mrorange303's Avatar Mrorange303 01:36 PM 05-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

X850B
I know but the guy wants the passive 3d on a 4k without the speakers. X850b also is missing local dimming. But it's what he wants.

I personally think the x900a is better than the 2014 lineup.

But it has what I would want.
RiED27880's Avatar RiED27880 02:01 PM 05-01-2014
Quote:

My sentiments exactly. The X9 series has far and away the best uniformity I've yet seen on an LCD screen, and having worked in a Sony Centre for many years I've seen a few!!
exactly! some people don't realize how spoil we are until they purchase a samsung or vizio lol xD
RiED27880's Avatar RiED27880 02:05 PM 05-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Could the reason for your set looking so good - without the "swirls" - be because of your settings?
i also use his settings, and my screen looks great as it does on his picture, when i switch to "standard" it looks the same, so i dont think its the settings. Although torch mode is never healthy for a television to display. lol
CPTuell's Avatar CPTuell 02:12 PM 05-01-2014
4K Audio HDMI Out Update.
I did get an HDMI to Optical converter that pulls the audio (5.1 , PCM & LPCM) from the HDMI input. Unfortunately it would only show as Stereo. It did not cut in and out. I did a firmware update on my 7yr old Denon 3808ci. I reconnected the 4K Player via HDMI to the receiver and it has worked all day showing Multi Channel PCM with no hiccups. I'll try it over the next few days and will update. Guess the converter is going back to Amazon.
RiED27880's Avatar RiED27880 02:13 PM 05-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbass View Post

the speakers on the X900A are awesome! you may not like them, but they will grow on you. Besides, if you ask any of the owners of the 65X9 and 55X9, they will tell you that its the superior model over the X850. yes, the 55" is 540p per eye, but its far better 3D than 1080p passive sets, i know, i use to own one. Triluminos makes a BIG difference and so does Reality Creator, or Xreality Pro. If you must have 1080p per eye, i would defenatly buy the 65 X900A, you will NOT regret it smile.gif
Tags: Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
First ... 254  255  256 257  258  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop