Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 268 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8011 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podolski View Post

Yup! The z2 is the only mhl 3.0 capable, but the only way to watch your videos right now it's using a computer!! Do you know when the mhl 3.0 Cable comes out?

Update!

It seems that not only are MHL 3.0 cables not readily available yet, neither are MHL 3.0 TVs. Which means the 900a series is not compatible. Damn shame. More details in the comments thread of this article - http://www.brightsideofnews.com/2014/02/24/mhl-30-announced2c-support-for-4k-streaming-and-10w-charging/#comment-1373854515

Quote:
Originally Posted by smysore View Post

------

After talking with SONY it turns out that NO 4K files can be played through unless the files are vetted by the system.
This is done by
Exporting the 4K files from the hard drive to the Memory card through SONY Playmemories home software
This "vets" the 4K files.
ONLY THEN will the 4K files be recognized as playable by the system and the SONY 4K camera will recognize and play the file which is also recognized by the Sony 4K TV- a terrible waste
of time.
But the image is GREAT - IF you shoot with a tripod and dont move too fast in panning/zooming -
Notice that all the great Sony demos are from a single nonmoving point and/or Slow panning/zooming.

Edit: The 4K files from the 4K camera play if they have not been removed from the memory card. Once removed for storage the 4K files no longer play on the system and need to be vetted by the playmemories home program.
It the 4K files are on the sony phone I guess they may play directly.

What I wanted was the ability to play 4K files (shot on the SONY 4K camera) directly from the hard drive or a USB stick on the 4K Sony TV.

Interesting. Thanks for the update! I just had a look at one of the files pre (left) and post (right) being 'vetted' through SPM. 

Curiouser and curiouser. ....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

I guess I am confused...

So you guys have to change some of the settings of your TV depending on what source you are watching...?

No, it stores independent settings for each scene select on each input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post

Glad to hear your views geoff. Though as i said above, have you noticed the amount of detail this mode uncovers? And how soft the image looks in movie mode? So again my question is, if this mode brings out 4k level detail/upscaling - on a 4k set, is that bad?

I don't see more detail. I see aggressive oversharpening combined with heightened colour and contrast, all of which are tricks designed to give the image more 'pop'. I've checked fine detail patterns on several test discs, they look much noisier away from my Cinema 1 select, so you're seeing an exaggerated version of the signal, not what it truly looks like. That's great for TV, not so good for movies. Speaking of which:
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

He means picture mode general and standard. I prefer the preset as well but slightly modified with warm 1 and toning down the blue gain. Black corrector and Contrast enhancement all help with black levels with not much if any loss of shadow detail. Cinema is washed out and lacks the depth and detail that standard provides.

Not on my set it doesn't. With all black/white/contrast enhancers off, blacks are beautifully rich and deep, the colour is supremely accurate and the contrast range extends way beyond regular 235 levels [edit] (should any content come along that's mastered outside of normal parameters, e.g. x.v. colour). As I said above, the other tweaks and settings are designed to abnormally boost the picture past what it actually should be.

If that's what people like, then fair play to ya. These sets cost so much money that we should be entitled to fudge with the settings as much as we like. But I get reference grade performance from my calibrated settings and I happen to think it looks amazing. To quote someone's signature on another forum: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but accuracy isn't".
nishant786 and jjnbos like this.
post #8013 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

I don't see more detail. I see aggressive oversharpening combined with heightened colour and contrast, all of which are tricks designed to give the image more 'pop'.

I hate to confess this, in public, but some times I turn up the bass on my stereo. I know I shouldn't, but sometimes it amusing to feel my floor vibrate, even if its not flat.…

:-)

I remember when "guys" would buy huge expensive stereos with amazing pre-amps and then turn on the tone defeat. It just ain't cool to turn up the bass.

I know you are having a serious conversation, and I thank you for contributing so much to the forum. I do leave my set calibrated, except when I want to have some fun. :-)

-jj

p.s. really, really, really not clowning you, mostly laughing at my self. I'd spend a great deal of time getting it "right' and then the next record I bought would sound "wrong". It took me about 20 years to figure those darn engineers would occasionally fatten up the bass and not tell anybody :-) "the Americans" looks great calibrated, but "Generation Kill", not so much.
nishant786 and RiED27880 like this.
post #8014 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I checked, and my Oppo was set to output "RGB Video Level". Being curious, I switched to YCbCr 4:2:2, no dithering. With my calibration Blu--ray, changing the Colour Space resulted in slightly different calibration values. But my satellite DVR's output an RGB 4:4:4 signal, so I'm thinking it would be better to stick with the calibration values that I came up with when the Oppo was set to output an RGB signal, to be consistent with the satellite signal.

Any thoughts on this, Geoff?

I'm much less precious about the picture from my Sky HD box (not that it says what colour space it's using anyway) than I am with my Blu-rays.

I watch a lot of sport, and with live broadcasts it's especially obvious that not all cameras are created equal. Some look sharper, some look softer, some have better colour, some even have dead pixels etc, so calibration simply isn't worth it on a TV feed for me. The image can and does change from shot to shot so accuracy becomes far less important, and (as I said before) I'm happy to bump up the backlight and put Live Colour on Low, though I've got to keep it on Warm 2 because the colour still looks wrong, even on Warm 1 there's too much magenta.

But because Blu-ray movies are (almost biggrin.gif) always mastered within set parameters, I'll stick with my calibrated Cinema 1 for those. [edit] And I wouldn't pick a colour space just because it jives with my TV box, I'd rather pick it on its own merits. smile.gif
post #8015 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

I hate to confess this, in public, but some times I turn up the bass on my stereo. I know I shouldn't, but sometimes it amusing to feel my floor vibrate, even if its not flat.…

:-)

I remember when "guys" would buy huge expensive stereos with amazing pre-amps and then turn on the tone defeat. It just ain't cool to turn up the bass.

I know you are having a serious conversation, and I thank you for contributing so much to the forum. I do leave my set calibrated, except when I want to have some fun. :-)

-jj

p.s. really, really, really not clowning you, mostly laughing at my self. I'd spend a great deal of time getting it "right' and then the next record I bought would sound "wrong". It took me about 20 years to figure those darn engineers would occasionally fatten up the bass and not tell anybody :-) "the Americans" looks great calibrated, but "Generation Kill", not so much.

Heh. I've also made sure that my 5.1 setup is outputting 75db from each speaker at reference level. biggrin.gif
jjnbos likes this.
post #8016 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 182
The thing that tests can't really determine is overall viewing experience and what is pleasant to your unique eyes and environment. What is an 'artifact' or a 'fail' on a test doesn't account for how it looks to you with real content in motion- from your viewing distance. I see all types of horrid things that disappear when you step back a foot from the screen.

You calibrate to one source and input, usually bluray, apply it to all the others and hope the best.

If you like out of the box, fine - this set comes out of the box pretty nicely. If you like the settings posted here or with some tweaks good for you. If you like to eyeball everything and change settings constantly while watching then do it.

Without a determined 'correct' picture you can go down a rabbit hole where one day you think all of these new settings look better than the old ones did yesterday.

I keep my calibrated number in one scene, Jerry's and Geof's in others and some review settings in some others. I always compare any changes against all of them - and I can judge which is more enjoyable to me easily.

If black level, shadow detail, dingy whites or color vibrancy suffers I just stay with the best. To my eyes.

Totally against the spirit of these forums, and why I joined them. But hey, you can coax a brilliant picture out of this set with all the bells and whistles and inaccuracy and a brilliant picture after calibrating. It's hard to absolutely blitz the picture using the settings we have available.

Another example of this is Audyssey Xt32 room correction. I can manually set my 8.1 channel system (afterwards) so it sounds better than what comes out of the measurements.
post #8017 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

Without a determined 'correct' picture you can go down a rabbit hole where one day you think all of these new settings look better than the old ones did yesterday.

But there is a "determined correct picture", that's the whole point of calibration. What is "correct" to thine own eyes is a different matter entirely...
post #8018 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

But there is a "determined correct picture", that's the whole point of calibration. What is "correct" to thine own eyes is a different matter entirely...

I was trying to refer to calibrated picture here, yes.
post #8019 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, gotcha.
post #8020 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Can i please ask just for my knowledge, what was so bad about the standard mode?

Picture was Blah, Blah, Blah
and I was expecting
WOW WOW WOW

Edit:
On a more Practical level
the picture I got from my 4K Camera was poorer compared to some of the HD cable channels ( later I felt that the cable HD channels are choked - in bandwidth I guess and the picture is definitely poorer in dynamic range, detail etc - that is how cable can have hundreads of HD Channels on offer - lower bandwidth )
I would estimate the overall picture quality of my camera with initial settings at 7 of 10 with some cable channels going to 8 of 10.
With the new setting the Camera picture is 8.5 of 10 and the cable channels have also improved with some going to 8.5 of 10
The best pictures I have seen on the 65x900a come directly from the internet - I rate some of them them 9 to 9.5 of 10
post #8021 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 06:19 AM

Liked: 25

Here's my question... where am I supposed to see cinema 1 and cinema 2? I seem to only have Cinema? 

Sony XBR-65X900A
Onkyo TX-NR809
Martin Logan Motion 20 (front) // Martin Logan Motion 30 (center) // Martin Logan Motion 4 (surround) // Martin Logan Electromotion IC (in ceiling, rear)
Martin Logan Dynamo 700W
Xbox One // HTPC Network // SageTV Server // Ceton Cablecard
post #8022 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG335XI View Post

Here's my question... where am I supposed to see cinema 1 and cinema 2? I seem to only have Cinema? 

Cinema is a Scene Select.

Cinema 1 and Cinema 2 are picture modes available in the scene select.
SG335XI likes this.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #8023 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 06:26 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Hey, thank you very much!

Only 3" from the wall to the front of your TV?

My wall-mount is 2.5" from the wall to the front of the 2 brackets of the wall-mount - so I must have a lot more room to tilt that you do...

confused.gif

I hope so. Those fins you see are actually closer to the wall/touching than the face of the brackets that attach to the TV back. That 2.5" gets eaten up quickly since the mounting area on the TV is recessed behind those grills/fins.
post #8024 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 06:27 AM

Thanks - I gotta say I don't quite understand the thinking behind the picture / scene presets - it seems overly complicated - it would be nice if you could copy your calibration presets to other scenes.

jjnbos likes this.

Sony XBR-65X900A
Onkyo TX-NR809
Martin Logan Motion 20 (front) // Martin Logan Motion 30 (center) // Martin Logan Motion 4 (surround) // Martin Logan Electromotion IC (in ceiling, rear)
Martin Logan Dynamo 700W
post #8025 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 06:30 AM

On a more Practical level
the picture I got from my 4K Camera was poorer compared to some of the HD cable channels ( later I felt that the cable HD channels are choked - in bandwidth I guess and the picture is definitely poorer in dynamic range, detail etc - that is how cable can have hundreads of HD Channels on offer - lower bandwidth )
I would estimate the overall picture quality of my camera with initial settings at 7 of 10 with some cable channels going to 8 of 10.
With the new setting the Camera picture is 8.5 of 10 and the cable channels have also improved with some going to 8.5 of 10
The best pictures I have seen on the 65x900a come directly from the internet - I rate some of them them 9 to 9.5 of 10
post #8026 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm on the same boat as you. I can't seem to find the Cinema 1 nor Cinema 2 settings either.
post #8027 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 06:34 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7700 View Post

I'm on the same boat as you. I can't seem to find the Cinema 1 nor Cinema 2 settings either.

Hit Menu, choose your Cinema Scene under Scene Select. Then hit menu again and choose Picture Settings or something like that. Within there you can change the mode per Scene
post #8028 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 06:36 AM

Liked: 17

Hi All,

I'm a new 55x900A owner.  I know this has been asked a billion times, but I can't find my answer online and don't feel like combing through 250+ pages on this thread.

I don't have the 4k media player, is there anyway for me to see 4k content at this time?  Is Netflix 4k still not supported on this TV?  Is the USB 4k content not working yet either?

Thanks!

post #8029 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjeff View Post

Hi All,

I'm a new 55x900A owner.  I know this has been asked a billion times, but I can't find my answer online and don't feel like combing through 250+ pages on this thread.

I don't have the 4k media player, is there anyway for me to see 4k content at this time?  Is Netflix 4k still not supported on this TV?  Is the USB 4k content not working yet either?

Thanks!

You can't really - if you have an HTPC that can output 4k resolution you can watch 4k youtube videos. I will say though that blurays looks absolutely amazing on this TV.

Sony XBR-65X900A
Onkyo TX-NR809
Martin Logan Dynamo 700W
post #8030 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I checked, and my Oppo was set to output "RGB Video Level". Being curious, I switched to YCbCr 4:2:2, no dithering. With my calibration Blu--ray, changing the Colour Space resulted in slightly different calibration values. But my satellite DVR's output an RGB 4:4:4 signal, so I'm thinking it would be better to stick with the calibration values that I came up with when the Oppo was set to output an RGB signal, to be consistent with the satellite signal.

Any thoughts on this, Geoff?

One other thing about this, Jerry: RGB doesn't pass x.v. colour. Try it yourself with the xvYCC squares in the S&M Clipping pattern under Advanced Video->Evaluation. Turning x.v.colour on/off in the TV makes no difference with RGB, but with YCbCr I can clearly see the concentric inner squares.
post #8031 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

i too like standard setting at times. For sports and general viewing. All of the post processing settings i keep on low if i decide to enable them. It comes down to preferance. Some people think its blown out of a realistic picture, but i find it quite pleasing as well. Cinema 1 for movies is best but its not for everyone. At the end of the day, its YOUR tv and you can set it the way you want too smile.gif

Here is what has me a bit perplexed.  Sony offers a number of Scene Select Modes (General, Cinema, Game, etc.).  Of course, each mode has its factory default settings, which vary from one scene to another, based on what I suspect the Sony engineers think is best.

But other than the user-accessible settings, what is the underlying difference with these Scenes?  Being the curious type, I ran a test.  I set my display to the General Scene Select, and "Custom" picture mode.  I then conducted a full calibration using these selections.  The results are essentially identical to the settings I have come up with for the Cinema Scene Select.  Then I displayed a high-quality image on the display (Spears&Munsil Montage), and toggled between Cinema and Custom to see if I could see a difference.  It turns out that I can indeed see a very subtle difference between the two selections, even when the user settings are the same.  This seems to prove that there is something else going on "under the covers" that is not fully understood by consumers like us.

Has anyone else conducted a similar test?  Any insight into what makes the Scene Select modes different from one another?

I can say that, unlike what Nishant reported, if Cinema and Custom have similar user-level settings, then differences between the two are not "wow" level differences.  So, I would say that it's not necessarily the Scene Select that makes the huge difference, it's the fact that Sony factory defaults add some "pop" to the picture that some find more exciting or desirable.  Set Cinema to factory defaults and the effect is the same.

post #8032 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your comments, i have been an admirer of your calibration knowledge regarding this set and appreciate your feedback.

I was referring to the 'general scene' and 'standard' mode. You are absolutely right regarding the colours and the brightness and some of the wight balance. I am going to work on that.

However my curiosity is regarding the amount of detail revealed in this mode as compared to 'movie scene'. Now this may be due to one of the peocessing modes or may be due to inherent oversharpening, however imho it makes the picture reveal a lot of detail. I paused the image and could so a lot more definition to the scenary and charecters. Detail was much higher and i could not seen any oversharperning defects.

This led me to wonder whether calibrating such a mode would be better, even if it isnt completely to rec709 standards, in order to truly get the most out of the 4k capabilities of this set.

Would it be a waste buying this set and then making it look like any good 1080p tv in terms or detail?

As stated in my previous post, I didn't see much difference in calibrating Cinema1 vs. General/Custom.  I didn't try General/Standard, but I wouldn't expect much difference.

post #8033 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 07:17 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

You can't really - if you have an HTPC that can output 4k resolution you can watch 4k youtube videos. I will say though that blurays looks absolutely amazing on this TV.

Thanks for the info.  I just got it yesterday so I haven't had much time to play with it.  I need to get it setup today and hopefully test it out a bit more.  Since I haven't tried, will blu rays say 4k for the resolution or still 1080p?

Also, any idea on my question about netflix and usb stick.

I got to say, having this next to my panasonic plasma, the colors pop better for me on this TV than my plasma.  I'm super impressed so far, and that was just streaming netflix... can't wait to try a blu ray tonight.

post #8034 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm much less precious about the picture from my Sky HD box (not that it says what colour space it's using anyway) than I am with my Blu-rays.

I watch a lot of sport, and with live broadcasts it's especially obvious that not all cameras are created equal. Some look sharper, some look softer, some have better colour, some even have dead pixels etc, so calibration simply isn't worth it on a TV feed for me. The image can and does change from shot to shot so accuracy becomes far less important, and (as I said before) I'm happy to bump up the backlight and put Live Colour on Low, though I've got to keep it on Warm 2 because the colour still looks wrong, even on Warm 1 there's too much magenta.

But because Blu-ray movies are (almost biggrin.gif) always mastered within set parameters, I'll stick with my calibrated Cinema 1 for those. [edit] And I wouldn't pick a colour space just because it jives with my TV box, I'd rather pick it on its own merits. smile.gif

Geoff, I received the following comments in a PM:  "I found that rgb video level on the oppo is the only way i can get this tv or any other sony tv to pass the 709 test on the spears and munsil ver 2 disc. Under color space on spears and munsil every other space 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 all seem to fail 709. RGB video is the only one that passes. I also think that with RGB from the oppo the image, and color look better. For some reason Sony tv's like RGB."

Just curious, have you conducted this test, and what were your results?

The only way I can tell what color space my various components are using is by accessing the General/Info/Video screen on my Denon AVR.  It shows exactly what signal it is receiving, in the case of the Satellite receivers it is RGB.  (Note for DirecTV users:  different DVR models are manufactured by different vendors, and there is a difference among the models WRT the Colour space.  My DVR's are HR24-500's, which IIUC are the only ones that output RGB.)

post #8035 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One other thing about this, Jerry: RGB doesn't pass x.v. colour. Try it yourself with the xvYCC squares in the S&M Clipping pattern under Advanced Video->Evaluation. Turning x.v.colour on/off in the TV makes no difference with RGB, but with YCbCr I can clearly see the concentric inner squares.

Noted.  What content has x.v.colour, Geoff?

post #8036 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I think all this discussion about Scenes and settings has (and continues to be) very interesting.  I especially like the reference to audio.  In the world of audio, there are very exacting standards for the cinema world, but the music world is like the Wild Wild West when it comes to standards.  So, having spent considerable time and money to optimize my listening room for the best audio possible, there are some sources (typically movies and Hi-Res multi-channel audio) for which I can count on hearing reference-quality audio.  But when I play the typical Redbook CD from my music library, the audio quality is all over the place.  Another good example is that many people become used to the way a system sounds (especially the bass), even though measurements show that the audio response is all over the place.  Take that same user's system, apply room treatments and room correction technology like Audyssey, and the first comment you are likely to hear is, "What happened to the bass"?  The point is, reference-quality audio can sound less exciting in the beginning, before you get used to it.

I think the same goes for our displays, and our quest for the perfect picture.  There are well-defined standards for the video industry.  And there are well-defined standards for video calibration.  As long as we are viewing source content that follows the standards, I continue to strongly believe that a display that is calibrated to industry standards will provide the best picture.  But when we look at sources like broadcast television, cable, satellite, and older DVD's, the content doesn't necessarily adhere to standards, so whether out PQ is perfect or not is less consistent.

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with using different scene selects to store different settings, and selecting the right scene select that is most appropriate and pleasing for a specific source is perfectly OK.  However, I think we should recognize that calibrating a display to industry standards results in the most accurate PQ.  And debating whether one scene vs. another is better or worse really doesn't matter.  In the end, what provides you with the most viewing pleasure is the best selection

nishant786 and RiED27880 like this.
post #8037 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

Here is what has me a bit perplexed.  Sony offers a number of Scene Select Modes (General, Cinema, Game, etc.).  Of course, each mode has its factory default settings, which vary from one scene to another, based on what I suspect the Sony engineers think is best.

But other than the user-accessible settings, what is the underlying difference with these Scenes?  Being the curious type, I ran a test.  I set my display to the General Scene Select, and "Custom" picture mode.  I then conducted a full calibration using these selections.  The results are essentially identical to the settings I have come up with for the Cinema Scene Select.  Then I displayed a high-quality image on the display (Spears&Munsil Montage), and toggled between Cinema and Custom to see if I could see a difference.  It turns out that I can indeed see a very subtle difference between the two selections, even when the user settings are the same.  This seems to prove that there is something else going on "under the covers" that is not fully understood by consumers like us.

Has anyone else conducted a similar test?  Any insight into what makes the Scene Select modes different from one another?

I can say that, unlike what Nishant reported, if Cinema and Custom have similar user-level settings, then differences between the two are not "wow" level differences.  So, I would say that it's not necessarily the Scene Select that makes the huge difference, it's the fact that Sony factory defaults add some "pop" to the picture that some find more exciting or desirable.  Set Cinema to factory defaults and the effect is the same.

Im very curious about the sublte difference you did see between the modes. Could you specify please?
I have seen this many times on tvs of all makes. Calibration between modes makes sometimes small sometimes big difference even if done the same way. I have come to learn that there are changes made in the service menu that cause this. D-nice is very familiar with panasonic engineers and with his inside knowledge he can make panasonic plasmas produce much better pictures than other calibrators can. Simply by making changes in the service menu.
Anyway there is no doubt you and geoff are both right regarding the industry standard producing the most accurate picture. I just found it fun to experiment this time. I also do feel that due to the expanded colour etc of the 4k material, these standards should now evolve for 4k.
Because somewhere at the back of my mind there is a doubt that these tvs can do much more than their 1080p counterparts. They are just restricted.
I can be wrong, but what if im right. wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #8038 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Geoff and others, i have a query. Does one require a sony blu ray player to take advantage of the Mi4k discs? I am watching captain phillips right now and see absolutely no difference whether i switch the Mi4k option on or off in settings. Im using a pioneer bluray player capable of xvYCC.
post #8039 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjeff View Post

Thanks for the info.  I just got it yesterday so I haven't had much time to play with it.  I need to get it setup today and hopefully test it out a bit more.  Since I haven't tried, will blu rays say 4k for the resolution or still 1080p?

Also, any idea on my question about netflix and usb stick.

I got to say, having this next to my panasonic plasma, the colors pop better for me on this TV than my plasma.  I'm super impressed so far, and that was just streaming netflix... can't wait to try a blu ray tonight.

Your 4K Sony TV will always natively upscale to put a 4K picture on the screen ( remember garbage in garbage out - but it tries its best)
If your bluray player can upscale the HD picture to 4K - turn it OFF
Your 4K TV apparently does a better job of upscaling than your bluray player
Geoff D likes this.
post #8040 of 11429 Old 05-09-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Geoff, I received the following comments in a PM:  "I found that rgb video level on the oppo is the only way i can get this tv or any other sony tv to pass the 709 test on the spears and munsil ver 2 disc. Under color space on spears and munsil every other space 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 all seem to fail 709. RGB video is the only one that passes. I also think that with RGB from the oppo the image, and color look better. For some reason Sony tv's like RGB."

Just curious, have you conducted this test, and what were your results?

Which pattern was your man using? If he means the Colour Space Evaluation showing dots in both the 601 and 709 boxes, that was true of every Blu-ray player I've yet used with this TV in YCbCr (Sony, Panasonic, etc) so it's nothing to do with the Oppo player as such. I think it's some sort of bug with that pattern, because if I manually switch the TV's 1080p colour space from 709 to 601 (It's under Menu>Display>Video Settings>Colour Matrix) when using the Clipping test, it performs exactly as it should, blowing out parts of the green channel because the pattern is mastered for 709, not 601. I've also done this with the colour space test on DVE too, if I switch between 601 and 709 I can clearly see the colour bars changing in amplitude so I don't think there's a problem showing 709 in YCbCr on this TV.

And you should know by now what content has x.v. colour: the Mastered in 4K Blu-ray discs! tongue.gif

Quote:

Geoff and others, i have a query. Does one require a sony blu ray player to take advantage of the Mi4k discs? I am watching captain phillips right now and see absolutely no difference whether i switch the Mi4k option on or off in settings. Im using a pioneer bluray player capable of xvYCC.

IMO the 'Mastered in 4K' thing is smoke and mirrors, i.e. it makes no appreciable difference as far as resolution is concerned. As far as I can tell, the Mi4K setting on the TV is a very high frequency upsampling algorithm, I mean down to the single-pixel level. It has the effect of amplifying single pixels in both the horizontal and vertical axes, which causes minute amounts of edge ringing and aliasing on diagonal edges to give the impression of more detail, but it's invisible from a proper viewing distance.

And I can't work out how this actually benefits the specific Mi4K software, unless Sony deliberately undersampled the luma channel so it could be 'rebuilt' by the TV's Mi4K processing, but in that case those discs wouldn't look right on a regular 1080p set, so I think the Mi4K thing is ********. You can try enabling x.v. colour in the TV's menu when playing such a disc, but I can't see any improvement there either.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page