Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 274 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8191 of 12376 Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Member
 
CPTuell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I have been using Redmere cables from day 1.  Sorry, it doesn't make a difference.

Disappointed here that. frown.gif

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
CPTuell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8192 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 03:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

...if you choose to wait to see House of Cards S2 in 4k or bust then I'm not sure you are watching the same show I did. I don't think I waited one iota of a second to turn the S2 eps on. If I could watch s3 right now with a 2 head VCR I would.

I didn't have Netflix when Season 1 originally premiered and watched it on disc.

I have two episodes left from Season 2 (12 and 13 to go.)

Great series, looks good now that my Comcast/Netflix duo serve it up in 1080(p) SuperHD.

Flinchn, I'm sure we're watching the same show. Some people eat the full half gallon of ice cream as soon as it's home, and others enjoy it over a period of time. wink.gif

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
--- Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #8193 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 07:05 AM
Member
 
halon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
TV is ordered smile.gif
TweakerInWA likes this.
halon is offline  
post #8194 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

I didn't have Netflix when Season 1 originally premiered and watched it on disc.

I have two episodes left from Season 2 (12 and 13 to go.)

Great series, looks good now that my Comcast/Netflix duo serve it up in 1080(p) SuperHD.

Flinchn, I'm sure we're watching the same show. Some people eat the full half gallon of ice cream as soon as it's home, and others enjoy it over a period of time. wink.gif

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
--- Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---

Yeah. I eat the ice cream. smile.gif
flinchn is offline  
post #8195 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Since there may be a little confusion on the FMP-X1 offer at Best Buy. It is still free with purchase of the 65" models, but only in store. This is not advertised on the web site. Keep in mind, if you are price matching retailer that is not giving the free server, the store should still match, just not WITH the server. smile.gif

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #8196 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 4,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Since there may be a little confusion on the FMP-X1 offer at Best Buy. It is still free with purchase of the 65" models, but only in store. This is not advertised on the web site. Keep in mind, if you are price matching retailer that is not giving the free server, the store should still match, just not WITH the server. smile.gif

Thanks for clearing this up! I'll be taking my receipt in for a 3rd price match. smile.gif

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
Shape is offline  
post #8197 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Senior Member
 
sdMCM66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hawaii... I wish
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 113

House of Cards, House of Shmards :p.... I can't wait to watch the Cosmos series on my new 65. Wonder how it will look 2D->3D?

sdMCM66 is offline  
post #8198 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Member
 
mikeg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

Thanks for clearing this up! I'll be taking my receipt in for a 3rd price match. smile.gif

I'm on the fence as to get the 65x900a with Sony Media Server for $3495 or wait for the x900b. I'm not concerned so much about Netflix. To buy the x900b and a Sony Media Server later after the prices drop could still be over $1500 more. Based on my viewing of the x900a, my biggest concern is the motion artifacts. Since I'm coming from a Kuro Pro PDP-6010 that doesn't have any issue, has the settings been optimized to eliminate the motion artifacts? I don't see this on the new Samsung 4K models.
mikeg1 is offline  
post #8199 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post

House of Cards, House of Shmards tongue.gif .... I can't wait to watch the Cosmos series on my new 65. Wonder how it will look 2D->3D?

It does look nice. I'm not sure it is any better than any other HD science show using simulated 3d

I didn't like the show though. How many times can you hear "scientists believe" "models show" etc without getting the idea that tomorrow it will all change as science advances? Should have been more "science today", instead of "absolute truth" when there are all these caveats in nearly every sentence.
But I digress.
flinchn is offline  
post #8200 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dbburns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

Thanks for clearing this up! I'll be taking my receipt in for a 3rd price match. smile.gif
From which store did you buy your TV? When I called Best Buy last week to price match the $3800 price, I inquired if the 15-day price guarantee was for all tiers of My Reward Zone (or whatever they call it now) members or just the basic tier. She said that it was all levels of membership. With the TV purchase price putting me into the top tier, I have the 45-day return, but I don't know that they will price match up to 45 days. Does anyone know the process for how I would get them to price match now that I am outside of my 15-day window? Thanks!

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

dbburns is offline  
post #8201 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

From which store did you buy your TV? When I called Best Buy last week to price match the $3800 price, I inquired if the 15-day price guarantee was for all tiers of My Reward Zone (or whatever they call it now) members or just the basic tier. She said that it was all levels of membership. With the TV purchase price putting me into the top tier, I have the 45-day return, but I don't know that they will price match up to 45 days. Does anyone know the process for how I would get them to price match now that I am outside of my 15-day window? Thanks!

If you are willing to return, they will absolutely price match.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #8202 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dbburns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Haha. True. When I was discussing the situation with my housemate who used to work in retail, he said that he'd have me bring the TV in to the store before he'd seriously believe I was going to return it. Since I bought it online, I guess I'd have to get as far as demanding them send someone to my house to pick it up before they'd take me seriously.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

dbburns is offline  
post #8203 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 4,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

From which store did you buy your TV? When I called Best Buy last week to price match the $3800 price, I inquired if the 15-day price guarantee was for all tiers of My Reward Zone (or whatever they call it now) members or just the basic tier. She said that it was all levels of membership. With the TV purchase price putting me into the top tier, I have the 45-day return, but I don't know that they will price match up to 45 days. Does anyone know the process for how I would get them to price match now that I am outside of my 15-day window? Thanks!

I bought mine at the Marlborough, MA Magnolia store. And while the price match guarantee is only 15 days on paper, they will price match it up to 45 days for Elite Plus members. Because if they didn't want to price match it, you could always just return and re-buy the TV.

Just go in and talk to them.
wase4711 likes this.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
Shape is offline  
post #8204 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
sdMCM66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hawaii... I wish
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post


It does look nice. I'm not sure it is any better than any other HD science show using simulated 3d

I didn't like the show though. How many times can you hear "scientists believe" "models show" etc without getting the idea that tomorrow it will all change as science advances? Should have been more "science today", instead of "absolute truth" when there are all these caveats in nearly every sentence.
But I digress.

 

I'm with you on the "theorization" part.. which is why I don't follow a lot of the "science" shows, like "Through the wormhole". I'm hearing the same things over and over. I'm just amazed at what they did with the new Cosmos visually. Its fun to watch... would be even better in "real" 3D. 

sdMCM66 is offline  
post #8205 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dbburns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

I bought mine at the Marlborough, MA Magnolia store. And while the price match guarantee is only 15 days on paper, they will price match it up to 45 days for Elite Plus members. Because if they didn't want to price match it, you could always just return and re-buy the TV.

Just go in and talk to them.
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to do my negotiating over the phone since their website says web orders need to be price-matched that route. I could see them saying the deal is different now since their website no longer includes the free media player, but I'll give it a shot.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

dbburns is offline  
post #8206 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

How many times can you hear "scientists believe" "models show" etc without getting the idea that tomorrow it will all change as science advances? Should have been more "science today", instead of "absolute truth" when there are all these caveats in nearly every sentence. But I digress.

Without getting too far off the TV track, a lot of the shows verbiage is provoked by a new anti-science mentality that seems to run through a significant portion of the American population.
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #8207 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rudy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 3,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Rudy1 is offline  
post #8208 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Senior Member
 
sdMCM66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hawaii... I wish
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

REVIEW OF THE 2014 EURO MODEL:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd55x9005b-201405123771.htm

 

"Sony is still using the Triluminos Display moniker for the wide colour gamut (WCG) technology on the KD55X9005B, even though this year the company is no longer using QD Vision’s quantum dot technology. It’s no loss though (we weren’t particularly big fans of last year’s quantum-dot-based Triluminos tech for accurate colour reproduction anyway)"

 

"Its no loss...." Interesting

sdMCM66 is offline  
post #8209 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
digimat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post

"Sony is still using the Triluminos Display moniker for the wide colour gamut (WCG) technology on the KD55X9005B, even though this year the company is no longer using QD Vision’s quantum dot technology. It’s no loss though (we weren’t particularly big fans of last year’s quantum-dot-based Triluminos tech for accurate colour reproduction anyway)"

"Its no loss...." Interesting

I notice the colors aren't as over saturated but more accurate.
Carlos_E likes this.
digimat is offline  
post #8210 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
sdMCM66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hawaii... I wish
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post


I notice the colors aren't as over saturated but more accurate.

 

Easy fix, reduce the color intensity

sdMCM66 is offline  
post #8211 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

Without getting too far off the TV track, a lot of the shows verbiage is provoked by a new anti-science mentality that seems to run through a significant portion of the American population.

Oh boy. I so want to get into this but they'll throw us out of the thread. Anyway : follow the money.
wase4711 and tdrozdowski like this.
flinchn is offline  
post #8212 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 202
We can meet for coffee at the Zip Line.

(you do a fast edit btw)


wase4711 likes this.
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #8213 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

We can meet for coffee at the Zip Line.

(you do a fast edit btw)



condescension. Unedited it would only provoke non TV talk. But you answered anyway so.
flinchn is offline  
post #8214 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Newbie
 
ans7880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by halon View Post

TV is ordered smile.gif
Where did you place your order from?
ans7880 is offline  
post #8215 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swanage, Engerland
Posts: 2,460
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

I notice the colors aren't as over saturated but more accurate.

Funny you should say that. The calibrated colour saturation tracking points on my 55A are virtually identical to the ones in hdtvtest's 55B review, in fact mine's slightly more accurate because I don't have any colour saturation points with a delta error greater than 2...
RiED27880 likes this.
Geoff D is offline  
post #8216 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Member
 
CPTuell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTuell View Post

I agree. My replacement set is due here tomorrow. Really hope it's a good one. I am however still annoyed at the lack of audio consistency out of the X1 via the HDMI 2 port. Trying a new Monoprice Redmere cable soon as I get it hooked up tomorrow. A 4K movie in stereo only is having to watch 3D with the red and green glasses. Anybody heard anything new about a remedy for the audio problem?

Got the new one today...Bummer!! clouding is somewhat worse and now this one has a 3/4 inch wide vertical light shaded line running half way down about 8-10 inches in on right side. Most noticeable in light colored screens.frown.gif Already call Sony and a new one is coming. If this one is bad, I may be done and return it for a refund. May try one from Best Buy. Maybe a different batch would be better. Bad thing is, a letter inside the box said this TV was inspected and hand picked to insure quality. On the box it had a sticker that said send to QA. I don't know what they are looking at in QA but they need someone with better eyes. The serial number on the 1st one and this one was only a couple hundred off. I'm thinking a bad batch of LED assemblies. The Sony rep said they would try to get a set from a different batch. We'll see. I really want this to be corrected I love the picture.

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
CPTuell is offline  
post #8217 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Member
 
halon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans7880 View Post

Where did you place your order from?

I decided on BuyDig.
halon is offline  
post #8218 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Newbie
 
ans7880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by halon View Post

I decided on BuyDig.

I did the 2-6 day white glove delivery and it is gonna take almost 2 weeks. Called the shipping company today and it will not be delivered until Wednesday or Thursday of next week (9 business days after I placed the order). I placed my order last Saturday. Not happy with how long it's gonna take. Hope you have a better shipping experience.
ans7880 is offline  
post #8219 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTuell View Post

Got the new one today...Bummer!! clouding is somewhat worse and now this one has a 3/4 inch wide vertical light shaded line running half way down about 8-10 inches in on right side. Most noticeable in light colored screens.frown.gif Already call Sony and a new one is coming. If this one is bad, I may be done and return it for a refund. May try one from Best Buy. Maybe a different batch would be better. Bad thing is, a letter inside the box said this TV was inspected and hand picked to insure quality. On the box it had a sticker that said send to QA. I don't know what they are looking at in QA but they need someone with better eyes. The serial number on the 1st one and this one was only a couple hundred off. I'm thinking a bad batch of LED assemblies. The Sony rep said they would try to get a set from a different batch. We'll see. I really want this to be corrected I love the picture.

Honestly, I don't think clouding is really on their radar. As much as we want our concerns to be addressed by typical QA countermeasures, I think we have to accept the fact that we really are just that picky...smile.gif
wase4711, RiED27880 and HDTVAV like this.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #8220 of 12376 Old 05-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Honestly, I don't think clouding is really on their radar. As much as we want our concerns to be addressed by typical QA countermeasures, I think we have to accept the fact that we really are just that picky...smile.gif

I think some of us can rightly be picky. Those of us who dropped 5-7k on a TV should expect near perfection, even with new technology. My panel has maybe 1 or 2 slight issues that are so minor i couldnt get a good pic of them to share here but no one would ever notice but me anyway - and maybe you, dear reader wink.gif

I'm actually quite shocked the set is a homerun since I bought so early in prod. I really feel for some of you that have reported issues I could never abide.
flinchn is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off