Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 283 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #8461 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 293
There's no banding on my 55. There's a teensy bit of light leakage on the extreme left of the picture, and anything that's dimly lit and flickering/moving will always give the dynamic LED lighting a stern workout, but I watched Three Kings on BD earlier (on a bit of a David O. Russell kick at the moment) and it looked incredible.

If you know anything about that movie you'll know it was partially shot on funky Ektachrome stock and the theatrical prints were given a bleach bypass, so as to give it dreamy, blown-out highlights and utterly impenetrable blacks. The Blu-ray attempts to recapture that look and each facet was brilliantly handled by the X9, with rich, inky blacks (so much so the 2.35 borders blended into the frame of the TV) and bright, burning highlights.
RiED27880 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post

Yea, when I checked Amazon a while back they didn't have Frozen 3D. But wow, $50... but it might just be that good, lol. My metal days are pretty much history, though I catch myself watching That Metal Show once in a blue moon... I might give the Netflix 2D ver a look. Noah does look interesting.. and has a great cast of female costars. And looking forward... Godzilla!!!!!

Just buy it from amazon.co.uk - I did and it turned out to be about $38US - so less than the 3rd party who is just importing them as well.

Yes, its all regions - so works like a charm!

-t
post #8463 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

You keep coming into this thread periodically and dredging up active 3d when we crow about how much we like passive on our 4k sets. Last time was three weeks ago when you asked why Sony didn't make only passive if it was so great. What do you want from us here?

LOL, my question was in direct response to the postings right above mine...

Maybe you should keep better track of me...

I post in here quite a bit - as I am still actively trying to decide between the A model and the B model...

So, if you are going to try and insult someone - or trying to start an argument - it is best to get your facts straight first!

God knows we put up enough with all of your drivel here...

:p 

Carlos_E likes this.

Samsung 78 HU9000 or LG 79/84 UB9800 or Sony XBR-75X940C (2015)
Panasonic 65VT60
Panasonic 65VT25

Pioneer Elite SC-37
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
post #8464 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 47
$38 is too much for any movie. Well, I am paying that much for The Lego Movie, but that's because it is the Everything Is Awesome edition. biggrin.gif

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #8465 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2708 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

I post in here quite a bit - as I am still actively trying to decide between the A model and the B model...

So, if you are going to try and insult someone - or trying to start an argument - it is best to get your facts straight first!

God knows we put up enough with all of your dribble here...

:p 

Many of us probably feel that you have been presented with enough facts and data to have made an educated decision by now, and we are perplexed by your seemingly endless indecision.  My intent is not to insult you, but only to provide feedback from my humble perspective.  We would enjoy hearing your actual experiences after purchasing a set, whatever one you finally decide on.

wase4711 and RiED27880 like this.
post #8466 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Many of us probably feel that you have been presented with enough facts and data to have made an educated decision by now, and we are perplexed by your seemingly endless indecision.  My intent is not to insult you, but only to provide feedback from my humble perspective.  We would enjoy hearing your actual experiences after purchasing a set, whatever one you finally decide on.

Thanks for your feeling that you have presented me with enough facts and data for me to have made an educated decision by now.

However, it is my decision and I have not made it yet.

I am very glad that you are happy with your A model - and that you didn't have to chose between the A model and the B model.

Had I only had the A model to chose from - my decision, like yours, would have been made already.

Every time I think I decide one way or the other - something (or someone) on here pulls me toward the other.

So, while a very much appreciate your patience with me - I am trying to decide one way or the other - and will do so when I feel I made the right decision for me.

:D

Panasonic 65VT60
Panasonic 65VT25

Pioneer Elite SC-37
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
post #8467 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post

When you select an input with no signal I thought everyone saw some clouding. It does this on my W900A, X850A and X900B. I thought you were supposed to test with a source outputting a black screen to look for clouding???

After calibrating, if my MacBook Pro or PS4 is outputting a black screen, I do not see clouding. If I turn off the source and the TV says no signal, I see some clouding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

There's got to be a signal.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
--- Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---

I agree with Lee.  A screen with no signal is not the same as a screen being fed a completely black signal.  When viewing content, you will never be looking at a "no signal" screen, so if there is some clouding on this screen, it is insignificant.

Two examples.  No Signal:

Black signal:

This one is so uniform, you can't make out where the image stops and the speakers start...

RiED27880 and HDTVAV like this.
post #8468 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

God knows we put up enough with all of your dribble here...

tongue.gif  

If you take umbrage at what I've said, then that's really on you, since I dont detect an insult after rereading. I don't come in here like a gadfly - this is the owner's thread. You could ask/learn about 3d in depth in a million different places if you'd do a little googlefu.

The whole point is you seem to be wanting someone to agree with you or others you talk to about how much passive sucks (whether or not the discussion is couched in 4k, I don't know who is trying to convince you active is the better tech) And none of the owners here will, I submit.

Don't be so defensive. This is the Internet.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #8469 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree with Lee.  A screen with no signal is not the same as a screen being fed a completely black signal.  When viewing content, you will never be looking at a "no signal" screen, so if there is some clouding on this screen, it is insignificant.

Black signal:

This one is so uniform, you can't make out where the image stops and the speakers start...

Damn that's nice!

Panasonic 65VT60
Panasonic 65VT25

Pioneer Elite SC-37
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
post #8470 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your feeling that you have presented me with enough facts and data for me to have made an educated decision by now.

I am very glad that you are happy with your A model - and that you didn't have to chose between the A model and the B model.

Had I only had the A model to chose from - my decision, like yours, would have been made already.

Every time I think I decide one way or the other - something (or someone) on here pulls me toward the other.

So, while a very much appreciate your patience with me - I am trying to decide one way or the other - and will do so when I feel I made the right decision for me.

:D

I understand that there is a lot to absorb.  But take the example that I showed in my previous post.  When you saw the picture of the "No signal" screen, you immediately jumped to the conclusion that you were seeing a terribly flawed product.  You may agree now that that is not the case.

So, I appreciate that your decision process is a long and careful one, and I applaud that you are trying to make the right decision.  I just don't think you are doing yourself any favors by jumping to conclusions as you seem to do quite often.

Again--no offense meant!

post #8471 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand that there is a lot to absorb.  But take the example that I showed in my previous post.  When you saw the picture of the "No signal" screen, you immediately jumped to the conclusion that you were seeing a terribly flawed product.  You may agree now that that is not the case.

So, I appreciate that your decision process is a long and careful one, and I applaud that you are trying to make the right decision.  I just don't think you are doing yourself any favors by jumping to conclusions as you seem to do quite often.

Again--no offense meant!

No idea even what that is supposed to mean, lol.

But I was in the majority in condemning the image you are talking about...

Anyway, how about we back off me - and start talking about the TV again?!

;)

Panasonic 65VT60
Panasonic 65VT25

Pioneer Elite SC-37
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
post #8472 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Black signal:

No offense but the top pic does look severe. Way more than mine, when the no signal screen pops up. (Probably couldn't point it out to anyone unless y'all came for a visit smile.gif )

But yes - for content it looks like blacks are part of the bezel, so who really cares about the anamoly?
post #8473 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyway, how about we back off me - and start talking about the TV again?!

wink.gif

Agreed.
post #8474 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Also - if I come across as spamming I apologize to everyone. Cheers.
post #8475 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

Damn that's nice!

With one white logo on the screen the local dimming works perfectly fine but I've noticed even on more complex intro screens with movies and games the clouding is still very apparent.
post #8476 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

Also - if I come across as spamming I apologize to everyone. Cheers.

Not at all man..at least you actually OWN this TV...
LeeSoFl and RiED27880 like this.
post #8477 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

With one white logo on the screen the local dimming works perfectly fine but I've noticed even on more complex intro screens with movies and games the clouding is still very apparent.

Say what you will, but I never notice any unpleasant cloudiness on my display, regardless of the content. Perhaps your display is different.
post #8478 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:

Black signal:

That one is not exposed properly enough to make any sort of conclusion about the uniformity of it. All we know is that the panel has a wider dynamic range than the camera that took the picture.
post #8479 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

That one is not exposed properly enough to make any sort of conclusion about the uniformity of it. All we know is that the panel has a wider dynamic range than the camera that took the picture.

You are right ofcourse, however this is a pretty accurate representation of what I see with the Pioneer logo of my player too. So unless someone with a good camera and photography skills comes along, you'll just have to take our word for it. smile.gif
post #8480 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 10:56 PM

Btw, for all people here looking for a new phone, the Sony Z2 is a very good option. Not only is it one of the best android phones today (if not the best), Its amazing at 4k caputre and also plays back downloaded clips efficiently and smoothly. Better than my old laptop. Its also a good companion for the Bravia with all connected features. smile.gif

Plus its MHL 3.0 compatible, so as soon as the cable comes along, I have a very good 4K player. smile.gif

Ps. Dont know why the screen looks magenta, didn't look like that.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #8481 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post

Btw, for all people here looking for a new phone, the Sony Z2 is a very good option. Not only is it one of the best android phones today (if not the best), Its amazing at 4k caputre and also plays back downloaded clips efficiently and smoothly. Better than my old laptop. Its also a good companion for the Bravia with all connected features. smile.gif

Plus its MHL 3.0 compatible, so as soon as the cable comes along, I have a very good 4K player. smile.gif

It is an unbelievably good looking cellphone - and really matches the new Sony 4K TVs...

However, it's a $700 cellphone and no carriers sell it, correct?

Panasonic 65VT60
Panasonic 65VT25

Pioneer Elite SC-37
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
post #8482 of 13082 Old 05-16-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:

It is an unbelievably good looking cellphone - and really matches the new Sony 4K TVs...

However, it's a $700 cellphone and no carriers sell it, correct?

I'm not sure about the US actually, but yeah that's the price I got it here for. I've heard a Verizon version is incoming and that should be subsidised.
post #8483 of 13082 Old 05-17-2014, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

biggrin.gif

The A has been around for almost a year. That's plenty of time. If you take that long again dithering over whether you want the A or the B, the C version will be out. tongue.gif
wase4711 and RiED27880 like this.
post #8484 of 13082 Old 05-17-2014, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post

But won't the TV need to be MHL 3.0 too? It's only 2.0 AFAIK...
post #8485 of 13082 Old 05-17-2014, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

But won't the TV need to be MHL 3.0 too? It's only 2.0 AFAIK...

Geoff I think they are, numerous demonstrations have used the 2013 TV's to show the MHL 3.0 capability of the Z2. Also since the MHL 3.0 adapter is basically a micro usb to hdmi female, any HDMI cable capable of carrying a 4K signal should in theory work? Plus I have not seen the 2014 specifically mention MHL 3.0 either.

Anyway lets see, if it doesn't work then our TV's are already dated. frown.gif
post #8486 of 13082 Old 05-17-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're using the actual HDMI adaptor then it should be fine, but connecting it straight to the TV won't work I don't think.
post #8487 of 13082 Old 05-17-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:

If you're using the actual HDMI adaptor then it should be fine, but connecting it straight to the TV won't work I don't think.

See the cable they've shown till now is micro usb to hdmi. Now this is an hdmi cable capable of 4k at 30 fps (mhl 3.0 standard). So why wont it work on connecting it to our hdmi 2.0 port(s)?
post #8488 of 13082 Old 05-17-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

MHL is not the same thing as HDMI even though it appears to use the same connectors, think of it as a hybrid of USB and HDMI. If you look at the labelling of the HDMI sockets on the TV (even on the menu) you'll see that only one is listed as MHL compatible, which is HDMI #2 if I remember correctly, as this is the only one which has the MHL circuitry built in. And, as with HDMI, there are several versions of MHL, and in order to use all the MHL features of your mobile device then the TV must be compatible with whatever version your device has.

MHL 3.0 wasn't even announced until August last year which was about three months too late for the X9 A series, but the reason why I asked about the HDMI adaptor is that such a thing exists for current MHL 2.0 devices. You connect your phone into this little box and it converts the MHL output into a proper HDMI signal, then you can use any old HDMI cable to go to any old HDMI TV. So I'm assuming that there'll also be one for 3.0 devices which can output 4K.

I'd be amazed if the B series didn't have MHL 3.0, but I don't know for sure because even the official spec sheet just says 'MHL: Yes'.
post #8489 of 13082 Old 05-17-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:

MHL is not the same thing as HDMI even though it appears to use the same connectors, think of it as a hybrid of USB and HDMI. If you look at the labelling of the HDMI sockets on the TV (even on the menu) you'll see that only one is listed as MHL compatible, which is HDMI #2 if I remember correctly, as this is the only one which has the MHL circuitry built in. And, as with HDMI, there are several versions of MHL, and in order to use all the MHL features of your mobile device then the TV must be compatible with whatever version your device has.

MHL 3.0 wasn't even announced until August last year which was about three months too late for the X9 A series, but the reason why I asked about the HDMI adaptor is that such a thing exists for current MHL 2.0 devices. You connect your phone into this little box and it converts the MHL output into a proper HDMI signal, then you can use any old HDMI cable to go to any old HDMI TV. So I'm assuming that there'll also be one for 3.0 devices which can output 4K.

I'd be amazed if the B series didn't have MHL 3.0, but I don't know for sure because even the official spec sheet just says 'MHL: Yes'.

Wow i really didn't think of all that. Yes, i had one of those adapters for my brothers Note 3. It needed external power but it worked fine with one of our older tvs as well. Which didn't have MHL I think.
So either sony will be wise (for once) and launch a MHL 3.0 adapter. Or we may have to try our luck with one of the HDMI ports. Heres hoping that charging doesn't work but 4K output does.
Otherwise another feature bites the dust.
post #8490 of 13082 Old 05-17-2014, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

Perhaps you could post your settings? This shouldn't be. You have the 65" panel ?

49 brightness really makes a difference on my panel with the dimming over 50. Although 50-52 is more than acceptable.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page