Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 289 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8641 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I had to change my delivery from tomorrow to Friday because I found out a couple hours ago that the delivery service in my area does not do white glove service or in other words...we dont do stairs.

I did get my money back for that though.

And a good thing with friday because I have Fridays off so I'll have a good 24 hours to make sure it works or call up BuyDig and tell them to get it out of here! I've waited long enough and now I gotta wait longer..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That clouding doesn't look too bad to me. There is little point measuring clouding etc when the panel is in torch mode, if you've done the right thing and wound the settings to something realistic then it looks pretty good.

post #8643 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyfam View Post

My XBR-65X900A is supposed to arrive at my local BB on Wednesday. I have a quad cab short bed truck and was wondering if the TV has to be transported standing upright or if I can lay it down on the bed of the truck with the tailgate down? I only need to go about a 2 mile distance down surface roads.

My experience comes from the days of plasma TV's where they had to be transported standing upright. The BB folks are saying its ok to lay flat. I just a bit nervous and I'm debating having them deliver the TV instead.

I've read about 60 pages of this forum and had not seen any comments in this regard. Your advise is greatly appreciated!

Best Buy here offers free delivery and setup on stand with TV's of that price range. HHGregg is $80. I would let them do it even if it's $80 bucks or so. If you take it home and you open it and it has a cracked frame or busted glass they can say you caused it. I would let them have the risk just in case. Small price to pay for peace of mind. JMHO
Reyfam and Carlos_E like this.

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
post #8644 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

Well I accepted my clouding today as acceptible and thought I'd just stop thinking about and injoy my tv then 30 mins later a spot a dead pixel.... Now it starts my OCD all over again. Now I'm contimplating getting a replacement.

I feel your pain! redface.gif

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
post #8645 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

My XBR-65X900A is supposed to arrive at my local BB on Wednesday. I have a quad cab short bed truck and was wondering if the TV has to be transported standing upright or if I can lay it down on the bed of the truck with the tailgate down? I only need to go about a 2 mile distance down surface roads.

My experience comes from the days of plasma TV's where they had to be transported standing upright. The BB folks are saying its ok to lay flat. I just a bit nervous and I'm debating having them deliver the TV instead.

I've read about 60 pages of this forum and had not seen any comments in this regard. Your advise is greatly appreciated!
I work at Costco and have always been told that laying an LCD panel down, as long as the screen side is facing up is just fine. Seeing as you're only going two miles anyway there should be no problem whatsoever.
Reyfam likes this.
post #8646 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Well I accepted my clouding today as acceptible and thought I'd just stop thinking about and injoy my tv then 30 mins later a spot a dead pixel.... Now it starts my OCD all over again. Now I'm contimplating getting a replacement.
I think the clouding you had was acceptable, but I would personally never accept a dead pixel. You shouldn't have to deal with that in such an expensive purchase, IMO.
Carlos_E likes this.
post #8647 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks CPTuell and CJ4life...

My local BB did free delivery but was booked out a week and they charge $100.00 to set it up which would have pushed it out another week. If I chicken out on Wednesday I'll probable have to wait a week for the delivery...
post #8648 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ4life View Post

I think the clouding you had was acceptable, but I would personally never accept a dead pixel. You shouldn't have to deal with that in such an expensive purchase, IMO.

I'm going to call sony in the morning. I really love this tv and want to get a good one before they are all gone. I had accepted the very slight banding and the clouding as well but now with a dead pixel I'm going to have to give another set a try. I have owned at least 12 tv's over the past 10 years and only 2 of them had dead pixels and I returned them both and got good sets.
post #8649 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

I recieved my replacement x900a today. My first one was a display model so I got it at a good price. After getting it home I found two bands on it. One was not to noticeable but the one on the right could be seen anytime I looked for it. There was also a spec of somthing behind the glass. I was almost going to keep it but then I found out hdmi 1 did not work. I called sony and they shipped me a new tv! The new tv has a date of nov 2013, my last one was one of the first and a display model for 11 months. The new tv has the updated hdmi no pixel defects and only a very slight band that I'm not worried about and no major clouding. All in all I'm very happy . I wonder if it's possible to get a band free x900a. I've gone through so many tv's over the last 10 years at least 15 and I've learned theres no such thing as a perfect set.
You got that right.
post #8650 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:

I'm going to call sony in the morning. I really love this tv and want to get a good one before they are all gone. I had accepted the very slight banding and the clouding as well but now with a dead pixel I'm going to have to give another set a try. I have owned at least 12 tv's over the past 10 years and only 2 of them had dead pixels and I returned them both and got good sets.
This could just be me, but I find clouding to be acceptable to a certain degree but banding or a dead pixel would be an automatic return. If I notice it without looking for it, that's not good.
post #8651 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ4life View Post

This could just be me, but I find clouding to be acceptable to a certain degree but banding or a dead pixel would be an automatic return. If I notice it without looking for it, that's not good.

This TV has 8 million pixels - and you can see one dead one...?

:confused:

post #8652 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

confused.gif

Lol from a normal seating distance no you can not see it. I was moving around my speakers when I spotted it. It could be maybe more then one. I can still see it from like for feet away. But the problem is now I know it's there. I wish my brain could just let that go!
post #8653 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

confused.gif

I ran pixel check on mine several times. If I found one dead pixel it would go right back to Sony.
post #8654 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

I got my 65x900a from best buy and had it delivered - they told me that it should be upright at all times.

Here is their own website's advice which conflicts with what they told you
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/electronics-promotions/busting-led-tv-myths/pcmcat253800050012.c?id=pcmcat253800050012
post #8655 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

After spotting that dead pixel tonight I thought I'd throw on some slides to see if it had anymore and I found 6 in like two minutes I was shocked. One is dead center and a group of probably 4 pixels and I can see it from 8 feet back on a red slide. I'm calling sony for sure now.

post #8656 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Yeah, I'd exchange that. A single dead pixel even at 4K is just not acceptable, especially given the high cost of these units.
post #8657 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:

After spotting that dead pixel tonight I thought I'd throw on some slides to see if it had anymore and I found 6 in like two minutes I was shocked. One is dead center and a group of probably 4 pixels and I can see it from 8 feet back on a red slide. I'm calling sony for sure now.

Could you direct me to where I could get those slides? Getting mine tomorrow and want to make sure its a good panel pixel wise.
post #8658 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

The easiest way would just use the YouTube app on the tv and there's a lot off pixel flip/ slides videos you can pause on. You could also google color slides and save them to a usb and play on tv.
CJ4life likes this.
post #8659 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 72
Are you sure those aren't dust? It's pretty hard to tell when you're staring at a huge bright TV from inches away.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #8660 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

Are you sure those aren't dust? It's pretty hard to tell when you're staring at a huge bright TV from inches away.

Yes I made sure I whipped the screen down after I spotted one, now I got finger prints all over the screen. I guess it could be dust underneath.
post #8661 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by webjeff View Post

Hey,

Does anyone know if the X900A series is being discontinued anytime soon?  I want to purchase the 65", but will need to wait about 3-4 months... It looks like they are moving towards B, but I don't know how fast they will end the A series.

Thanks

You have about a month. Maybe a little more if you want the X900, especially if you are willing to buy a display. That said, in 3-4 months you may be able to get some pretty good prices on other TVs as the 2014 models mature and everything hits the market.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #8662 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post

I got my 65x900a from best buy and had it delivered - they told me that it should be upright at all times.

Here is their own website's advice which conflicts with what they told you
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/electronics-promotions/busting-led-tv-myths/pcmcat253800050012.c?id=pcmcat253800050012

You can lay it down and transport it. Why not just tie it upright to the side of the bed though? Win-win?

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #8663 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 09:04 PM

Liked: 13
The only problem with that is that the wheel wells prevent me from tieing it down up against bed wall and I was afraid that it might tip over. I'll try to keep it upright if possible as plan A and plan B will be to lay it down flat.

Thanks!
post #8664 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only problem with that is that the wheel wells prevent me from tieing it down up against bed wall and I was afraid that it might tip over. I'll try to keep it upright if possible as plan A and plan B will be to lay it down flat.

Thanks!

I transported my 60ZT60 that way. It sat at a slight tilt, but didn't move an inch on the way home, about 10 miles on highways and residential streets. You just need to tie it down tight, from all possible angles.

That said, I'd just lay it down, since it's an LCD.
Reyfam likes this.

post #8665 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by webjeff View Post

Does anyone know if the X900A series is being discontinued anytime soon?  I want to purchase the 65", but will need to wait about 3-4 months... It looks like they are moving towards B, but I don't know how fast they will end the A series.

It will likely be gone from major retailers like bestbuy and amazon within weeks, but other random sellers will still carry it for a while if you want to gamble. For example, onecall through amazon is still selling the 65HX950 for $3000. I also see how sony store says to call for pricing and availability now like someone said, so I wonder if they will give you an even lower price by calling in.

Bestbuy even put it up as a deal of the day the other day for an extra $100 off, so they must have a lot of the 65's at least (55s are gone in my area) and are trying to move them now.
Quote:

If you are the type of person who hates clouding and bright spots, I wouldn't chance it. Who knows what gets pressed against what when you lay it flat. Just bring some other heavy boxes or filler objects to keep it secure against your wheel well and rope of course. Tied properly, it shouldn't move. But I would just wait the week for the free delivery. Bestbuy usually includes taking it out of the box and placing it on your stand for free unless that has changed.
Reyfam likes this.
post #8666 of 11941 Old 05-19-2014, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Main issue with laying an LCD down flat while transporting is risk of shock when you hit a road bump or something. This can flex the panel and crack it. The styrofoam inside the box will absorb impacts sure but you are taking a chance still.

post #8667 of 11941 Old 05-20-2014, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post

The PDF spec sheet for the FMP-X10 media player is now on Sony's website.

Upgrade your current 4K Ultra HD TV

• Download 4K movies to watch any time (over 200 titles)
• Netflix, now in 4K Ultra HD
• Save your personal 4K videos, too
• More brilliant expanded color with TRILUMINOSTM color
• Watch 4K right away with over 50 free titles

Built-in 1TB HDD plus external HDD capability via USB

• High quality in-home 4K from Video Unlimited 4K service
• Rent or purchase feature films and TV shows
• 500px – discover professional photos in 4K
• PlayMemoriesTM Online – share personal photos in 4K
• Compatible with 2013 & 2014 Sony 4K UHD TVs

Upgrade your Sony 4K Ultra HD TV.

Access the largest collection of movies and TV shows available in 4K Ultra HD, plus store videos from your 4K camcorder2,3. And now, 2013 Sony 4K Ultra HD TV owners can stay up to date with 4K streaming services like Netflix.

Compatibility
The Sony 4K Ultra HD Media Player (FMP-X10) is exclusively compatible with Sony 4K Ultra HD TVs. It is not compatible with 4K Ultra HD TVs from any other brand.

https://docs.sony.com/release/specs/FMPX10_mksp.pdf

MOST IMPORTANT
Does it firmware upgrade to vp9 or do we have to BUY an new box ???
Can you Play your personal 4k videos taken with SONY 4K camera and stored on external hard drive DIRECTLY to SONY 4K TV without vetting it through Playmemories software ??
WHEN will they put USB 3.0 on the box or is it already USB 3.0 and they mistakenly said USB 2.0

TWO DAYS AGO - A couple in their 70's came home to watch the 4K video of the wifes 70th birthday taken with the SONY FDR-AX!
IT TOOK OVER 60 MINUTES to upload the stored files (~12 min) to watch it on the SONY 4K TV
60 Minutes preparation to watch a 12 minute clip ?????????????????????????
They thought they were going to DIE of old age before being able to watch it
Their family and friends ALL thought it was the STUPIDEST thing they had ever seen
SONY - ARE YOU LISTENING ?????????
It was UNANIMOUS among EVERYONE there that they were NOT GOING TO BUY 4K stuff SONY or Otherwise.
post #8668 of 11941 Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by smysore View Post

MOST IMPORTANT
Does it firmware upgrade to vp9 or do we have to BUY an new box ???
Can you Play your personal 4k videos taken with SONY 4K camera and stored on external hard drive DIRECTLY to SONY 4K TV without vetting it through Playmemories software ??
WHEN will they put USB 3.0 on the box or is it already USB 3.0 and they mistakenly said USB 2.0

TWO DAYS AGO - A couple in their 70's came home to watch the 4K video of the wifes 70th birthday taken with the SONY FDR-AX!
IT TOOK OVER 60 MINUTES to upload the stored files (~12 min) to watch it on the SONY 4K TV
60 Minutes preparation to watch a 12 minute clip ?????????????????????????
They thought they were going to DIE of old age before being able to watch it
Their family and friends ALL thought it was the STUPIDEST thing they had ever seen
SONY - ARE YOU LISTENING ?????????
It was UNANIMOUS among EVERYONE there that they were NOT GOING TO BUY 4K stuff SONY or Otherwise.

Most of your questions are answered in the linked PDF. Did you read it?
post #8669 of 11941 Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

So I really like passive 3d, it would seem..

when I seen coraline I knew you were serious. Lol.
post #8670 of 11941 Old 05-20-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post

Most of your questions are answered in the linked PDF. Did you read it?

I read it but sorry Carlos I did not see my serious concerns answered
Will it/CAN IT be upgraded to vp9 - not answered
Will it play my 4k files (shot on a Sony 4K camera) from external HDD where it is stored
- not answered (at present it will play in Canada ONLY IF "vetted" with sony PMB software - EACH AND EVERY TIME you want to watch it)
( as i said it took nearly 60 minutes to START playing a 12 minute clip - NOBODY was happy to wait and wait and wait and wait and wait ......... - especially myself and my $11,000 investment in 4K SONY technology)
Have they Really put a USB 2.0 port to transfer these HUGE 4K files -?????? must be a Mistake
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page