Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 292 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8731 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

Still working as of today. Could the PC input label apply some processing that the phono does not? I can find anything in the manual. It's just a label- I didn't move to another port.

Annnnd... No more joy out of the X1-HDMI2, incessant handshakes are back.

I have now spent way more time getting 5.1 out of this thing than actually watching it. I give up.
wase4711 likes this.

Update 7/09/14---Warm1 pref settings 65"
flinchn is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8732 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Member
 
Thunderbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

While it is nice that Sony is offering a $200 discount, Dreaux, I still feel like I was taken advantage of by being an early adopter with the X1.  I would rather wait to see if an even better deal is forthcoming down the road.  Besides, the 4K streaming landscape is still evolving.  $500 is a pretty steep price to stream a couple of 4K series from Netflix...

Good Point Jerry. Actually, I plan to send a note to SONY and complain about this also. Since we paid $500.00 the first time on X1, we should be getting one swapped or perhaps getting further discounts on the X10. Worth of try.
Thunderbug is offline  
post #8733 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40

Guys

do not know if it's the Oppo BD player or the Sony, but I am having huge problems with HDMI handshakes recently.

Intermittent black screens

Green screens

and so on

quovadis123 is offline  
post #8734 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Member
 
CJ4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What do you guys set your backlight to when watching movies at night? I find that 7 brings a tinge of light creeping in on the sides of the panel.
CJ4life is offline  
post #8735 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
hatlesschimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Guys
do not know if it's the Oppo BD player or the Sony, but I am having huge problems with HDMI handshakes recently.
Intermittent black screens
Green screens
and so on
LOL I saw you were active over in the OPPO thread and now here LOL.
Im on the path to finding a new Bluray player and think its going to be the OPPO BDP-103D. I think the Darbee edition sounds/looks good to me and suits what I like. But thought I would ask my fellow Sony 4K owners if they own one and hows it going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ4life View Post

What do you guys set your backlight to when watching movies at night? I find that 7 brings a tinge of light creeping in on the sides of the panel.
Mine is on 6. I try and keep my unused top and bottom black bars as black as possible so they disapear when watching cinema format.

TV: SONY 65" 4K X900 - AVR: DENON AVR x4000 - AMP: ROTEL RMB 1585 5Ch 200w - OPPO 103D BD PLAYER
CENTRE: KEF Q600c - FRONT L/R: KEF Q900 - WIDE FRONT L/R: KEF Q300
SURROUND L/R: KEF Q800DS's - SURROUND BACK L/R: MINX 21's
SUB: SVS PC13-ULTRA
hatlesschimp is offline  
post #8736 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,943
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by halon View Post

Vizio is one company trying to make 4k available for everyone. If I remember correctly they have $1,000 4k coming out. Being that it is Vizo and it's their first attempt at 4k it might not be the greatest but most people won't care.

They're just trying to sell TV's. You make it sound like some altruistic endeavor. They're doing more harm to the TV industry than good.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #8737 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
 
hatlesschimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
LOL Why is that

TV: SONY 65" 4K X900 - AVR: DENON AVR x4000 - AMP: ROTEL RMB 1585 5Ch 200w - OPPO 103D BD PLAYER
CENTRE: KEF Q600c - FRONT L/R: KEF Q900 - WIDE FRONT L/R: KEF Q300
SURROUND L/R: KEF Q800DS's - SURROUND BACK L/R: MINX 21's
SUB: SVS PC13-ULTRA
hatlesschimp is offline  
post #8738 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Member
 
halon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

They're just trying to sell TV's. You make it sound like some altruistic endeavor. They're doing more harm to the TV industry than good.

I'm not saying that. You are reading it that way. The masses dont care who makes a 4K tv just as long as it is cheap. When Joe Schmo looks online for a 4K tv and they see Sony/Samsung/LG/Sharp for $3000+ and then see Vizio at $1000, they are going for the Vizio. Yes they are trying to sell tvs. But you know what? They are 4k, they are cheap and people will buy them which puts more 4k tvs in more homes.

Seems like a win win to me.
wase4711 likes this.
halon is offline  
post #8739 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
hatlesschimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
For the consumer its a win and lets be honest its a buyers market at the moment. there is no money to be made off a $1000 4k tv from a retailers point of view.

But if you are in the market for a 4k tv and have the money then there is no reason you cant get the tv for a lot less. My 65" was advertised for $6200 at the time and I got it for $5350. I almost bought the new curved 4k samsung and talked the lad down from 6999 to $6400 that included delivery that day but because my wife was with me and did in fact green light the purchase i decided to pull out of the sale and swing over to the local hifi store and buy a decent surround sound setup whilst she was in a good mood. Lucky for me I found out later on the Samsung has high input lag that was common with all there tvs of last year so this year seams the same and will continue. It must have some heavy processing going on. It was a lovely tv and the curvature did make the image seem 3d but normal tv looked shocking.

TV: SONY 65" 4K X900 - AVR: DENON AVR x4000 - AMP: ROTEL RMB 1585 5Ch 200w - OPPO 103D BD PLAYER
CENTRE: KEF Q600c - FRONT L/R: KEF Q900 - WIDE FRONT L/R: KEF Q300
SURROUND L/R: KEF Q800DS's - SURROUND BACK L/R: MINX 21's
SUB: SVS PC13-ULTRA
hatlesschimp is offline  
post #8740 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
wase4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Guys
do not know if it's the Oppo BD player or the Sony, but I am having huge problems with HDMI handshakes recently.
Intermittent black screens
Green screens
and so on
what kind of AVR are you running it thorough?
wase4711 is online now  
post #8741 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,721
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
 

Guys

do not know if it's the Oppo BD player or the Sony, but I am having huge problems with HDMI handshakes recently.

Intermittent black screens

Green screens

and so on

 

This just started so something must have changed?  Describe any resent changes--new equipment, settings, etc.

AustinJerry is online now  
post #8742 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swanage, Engerland
Posts: 2,328
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 187
My recently acquired Oppo 95 has lots of little handshaking brainfarts, it tends to happen if I accidentally switches to another input while the 95 is trying to speak with the TV. And if I use HDMI-CEC from startup, so that's turning on the player which then turns on the TV, this also causes it to go into a tizzy. I was watching X-Men on Blu-ray last night and it flipped out for a few seconds when I played a trailer. And I mentioned before about switching to RGB and/or 30/36 bit colour resulting in a 'unsupported signal' message on the TV before it finally handshakes about a minute later.

It's being routed thru a Yamaha amp but it's all very odd, as my BD player ownership while I've had this amp has reached double figures and in nearly four years all of those players combined didn't produce as many HDMI handshake issues as the Oppo has done in about a month.
Geoff D is online now  
post #8743 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
wase4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I've got a oppo 103, a marantz sr6008, and the 65x900 Sony connected, and have had zero handshake issues with these components.
The oppo connects to the marantz with a single hdmi cable, and the marantz connects to hdmi 1 on the Sony.
I've got a roku 3 connected to the marantz,with a single hdmi cable, and that too works perfectly, as far as handshakes are concerned.
Dont know if its a matter of all these components being < 1 year old, or just luck, but I am thrilled with how everything interconnects effortlessly..

I sold my 3 year pioneer sc 25 for the marantz, and that seems to be my secret to success.

I just use cheapo hdmi cables, so that never mattered for me..
wase4711 is online now  
post #8744 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,943
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by halon View Post

I'm not saying that. You are reading it that way. The masses dont care who makes a 4K tv just as long as it is cheap. When Joe Schmo looks online for a 4K tv and they see Sony/Samsung/LG/Sharp for $3000+ and then see Vizio at $1000, they are going for the Vizio. Yes they are trying to sell tvs. But you know what? They are 4k, they are cheap and people will buy them which puts more 4k tvs in more homes.

Seems like a win win to me.

Except the difference won't be that significant. There will be ~50" 4K from the major players much lower than $3000. So while $1000 seems really cheap, you have to keep in mind that they are able to hit that price partially due to it being a smaller 4K model than anything currently on the market, with the exception of Seiki though they're not super relevant.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #8745 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post


LOL I saw you were active over in the OPPO thread and now here LOL.
Im on the path to finding a new Bluray player and think its going to be the OPPO BDP-103D. I think the Darbee edition sounds/looks good to me and suits what I like. But thought I would ask my fellow Sony 4K owners if they own one and hows it going.
Mine is on 6. I try and keep my unused top and bottom black bars as black as possible so they disapear when watching cinema format.

I'm no expert In blu ray players, but normally people buy Oppo's because they upscale really well.

We do not need this feature.

We also do not need the 3d features the Oppo has to offer, because our simulated 3d is much better.

I use the Oppo solely for playing Blu ray disks. It's a waste of money for me to have an Oppo.

Quite frankly, there are other things that greatly irritate me about the Oppo.

I have to keep rebooting the damned thing often because it freezes. One of the HDMI inputs is in the front...really annoying.

Often, when I change HDMI inputs on Oppo remote to go from comcast to ATV i get green and red screens, and have to reboot.

I hear the Oppo loads BD disks very fast? What about other players? do they load just as fast? Or are they a second slower?

THERE IS ONE THING ...I love about the Oppo. It has multiple zoom features so you can watch your screen at just about any size.

The sony Tv has a few modes but not nearly as good.

quovadis123 is offline  
post #8746 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
 

 

This just started so something must have changed?  Describe any resent changes--new equipment, settings, etc.

Nothing 

No changes

 

I did a factory reset on Oppo. It seems that maybe the problem has gone away. I will let you know if it comes back.The problem is really intermittent. So no way of saying when it will return.

I know without a DOUBT that this is an Oppo related problem, because If i plug in comcast and ATV into Sony directly (and change HDMI with sony remote) This never happens.

Quite frankly , the Oppo is very soon to end up in my electronics's dungeon (a cupboard full of wires, and carp I have in the garage)

The fact that is freezes every so often really irritates me, and the fact that my wife accuses me of being an idiot for spending 5k on a frozen Tv , annoys me even more.

quovadis123 is offline  
post #8747 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post


what kind of AVR are you running it thorough?

No AVR

 

atv and comcast box input into Oppo.

Oppo HDMI out goes to sony TV.

Second Oppo HDMI out goes to Sony soundbar.

 

end of story...

quovadis123 is offline  
post #8748 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Member
 
CJ4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

my wife accuses me of being an idiot for spending 5k on a frozen Tv , annoys me even more.
Oh, that would drive me up the wall then.
CJ4life is offline  
post #8749 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
scottman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by halon View Post

I'm not saying that. You are reading it that way. The masses dont care who makes a 4K tv just as long as it is cheap. When Joe Schmo looks online for a 4K tv and they see Sony/Samsung/LG/Sharp for $3000+ and then see Vizio at $1000, they are going for the Vizio. Yes they are trying to sell tvs. But you know what? They are 4k, they are cheap and people will buy them which puts more 4k tvs in more homes.

Seems like a win win to me.

I would agree they are doing more harm than good to the 4k TV market, aside from possibly hastening the need for widespread 4K content availability.

When the masses avoid buying premium sets like a sony with exquisite design and engineering behind it just because vizio is cheaper, sony sells less sets, has to lower prices to compete, and inevitably cuts more corners and removes more features. We saw it with how they removed full array dimming for a while, removed RGB LEDs, and other features the vast public don't notice but enthusiasts appreciate and make for a better TV. What we end up with is more cheap 4K sets, but they are sets that will break from cheap parts shortly after warranty and have other weird glitches and problems. Picture quality is sacrificed since sony will be forced to cut spending on engineers that research the next "Reality PRO" or "triluminous" tech. Everyone ends up with drab, just adequate TVs instead of bleeding edge pop and quality that built Sony's name.

I am surprised Sony has somehow taken a leadership role again and is still innovating in the 4K market now, when it seemed they were almost going to bow out of TV altogether a few years ago as Samsung rose. I felt they peaked at the XBR8 and had to go downhill since, but I am encouraged by their new products.
RiED27880 likes this.
scottman is online now  
post #8750 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Member
 
CJ4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post

I am surprised Sony has somehow taken a leadership role again and is still innovating in the 4K market now, when it seemed they were almost going to bow out of TV altogether a few years ago as Samsung rose. I felt they peaked at the XBR8 and had to go downhill since, but I am encouraged by their new products.
I think Sony never hit the ground running in the HD flat panel age, and were playing catch up from then on. I think that's why they're putting so much importance on 4K: this is their chance to start fresh against everyone else. They aren't gonna let themselves be caught sleeping again, or so it seems. The x900A and x900B series have been a serious return to form for sure.
RiED27880 likes this.
CJ4life is offline  
post #8751 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40

I would love to buy another Sony Tv, but the fact that the new ones have active 3d, makes me hesitant. I do want a larger screen though. 65" is getting boring.

I'm really waiting the Vizio reference series to come out this year. If the PQ is just as good as the Sony I have now, I will buy one.

I simply can't believe that a Vizio could afford such a good picture though...It would be like saying that a Chevy is just as good as a Ferrari.

quovadis123 is offline  
post #8752 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 4,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Vizio dropped 3D from their entire lineup. That eliminated them from the running for me.
RiED27880 and Mrorange303 like this.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
Shape is offline  
post #8753 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40

The razor M Vizio series has 3d now. Passive 3d and it's very good.

Are you saying that the new 2014 models will not have 3d?

You mean Vizio does not have simulated 3d?

This is true.

So we would have to choose between a larger screen without simulated 3d or a 65" Sony with...

quovadis123 is offline  
post #8754 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Member
 
CPTuell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This question is for those who have returned their new sets (To Sony or received a replacement from Sony) for replacement. Did your new set come in the same new box as the 1st one? Neither of mine did. They both say sent to QA on the end of the box. With a letter inside saying this replacement set has been hand selected for you. The second one they sent was in the same type box as the first replacement but I noticed it had a 65X900B label on it. I thought wow the sent me a 900B. but it was a 900A inside. I should have taken a picture of it, but with the scratch and all the delivery guys just packed it up and took it back.

Maybe I'm just to cynical, but I am wondering if these are sets that were returned for the shadowing and banding problems and the QA people just looked at a regular colorful screen and said no problem here, send it out. If the next one is bad, I will demand a brand new one in the same brand new box as the original or a refund. I may even demand that it was assembled in Japan. I worked for a major copier/printer company and if the customer returned a machine from demo or just didn't like it or had some problem with it, it could be re-boxed and sold as new as long as it image output count was below a certain number. I find it strange that all of my replacement sets were from same manufacture date, location and the serial numbers are very close and have the same issue (Other than the one that was scratched).




CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
CPTuell is offline  
post #8755 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 4,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
All of my replacements were from Best Buy. New boxes.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
Shape is offline  
post #8756 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Senior Member
 
scottman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTuell View Post

This question is for those who have returned their new sets (To Sony or received a replacement from Sony) for replacement. Did your new set come in the same new box as the 1st one? Neither of mine did. They both say sent to QA on the end of the box. With a letter inside saying this replacement set has been hand selected for you. The second one they sent was in the same type box as the first replacement but I noticed it had a 65X900B label on it. I thought wow the sent me a 900B. but it was a 900A inside. I should have taken a picture of it, but with the scratch and all the delivery guys just packed it up and took it back.

Maybe I'm just to cynical, but I am wondering if these are sets that were returned for the shadowing and banding problems and the QA people just looked at a regular colorful screen and said no problem here, send it out. If the next one is bad, I will demand a brand new one in the same brand new box as the original or a refund. I may even demand that it was assembled in Japan. I worked for a major copier/printer company and if the customer returned a machine from demo or just didn't like it or had some problem with it, it could be re-boxed and sold as new as long as it image output count was below a certain number. I find it strange that all of my replacement sets were from same manufacture date, location and the serial numbers are very close and have the same issue (Other than the one that was scratched).
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Hahaha, sorry don't mean to be rude, but the picture of the box that says "Sony Factory Refurbished" with a generic white "NEW" tag slapped over refurbished makes it seem like they are playing a joke on you. Not that they are, but it just seems funny to me.

I don't have experience with their returns, but I can see a few possibilities: They may actually pull one and try it out before sending it as replacement to picky users to avoid another return. Or depending on how controlled their "return/replace" center handles returns, I can easily see them repacking "good" returns as new replacements. Since technically under warranty I think they are allowed to replace with refurb, so this may fall into a gray area so they do what they want. However usually a company as big as sony will have procedures in place to avoid any hint of doing something that could appear underhanded, such as labeling refurbs or returns as "new" to avoid lawsuits or else they know the law well enough to be able to do it legally. Or, I would think during production, they have to pull and test a few sets every so often at the factory, so maybe those are the sets they get and send to you.

On my xbr8 from bestbuy, my TV had 2 serial numbers, with a new label professionally applied over the old one on the back of the set, and even on the shipping carton the SN labels were on top of each other. Never found out what that was about.
scottman is online now  
post #8757 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 4,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

The razor M Vizio series has 3d now. Passive 3d and it's very good.
Are you saying that the new 2014 models will not have 3d?
You mean Vizio does not have simulated 3d?
This is true.
So we would have to choose between a larger screen without simulated 3d or a 65" Sony with...

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5279150/vizio-announces-first-consumer-4k-tvs-kills-3d-support

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
Shape is offline  
post #8758 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Member
 
CPTuell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post

Hahaha, sorry don't mean to be rude, but the picture of the box that says "Sony Factory Refurbished" with a generic white "NEW" tag slapped over refurbished makes it seem like they are playing a joke on you. Not that they are, but it just seems funny to me.

I don't have experience with their returns, but I can see a few possibilities: They may actually pull one and try it out before sending it as replacement to picky users to avoid another return. Or depending on how controlled their "return/replace" center handles returns, I can easily see them repacking "good" returns as new replacements. Since technically under warranty I think they are allowed to replace with refurb, so this may fall into a gray area so they do what they want. However usually a company as big as sony will have procedures in place to avoid any hint of doing something that could appear underhanded, such as labeling refurbs or returns as "new" to avoid lawsuits or else they know the law well enough to be able to do it legally. Or, I would think during production, they have to pull and test a few sets every so often at the factory, so maybe those are the sets they get and send to you.

On my xbr8 from bestbuy, my TV had 2 serial numbers, with a new label professionally applied over the old one on the back of the set, and even on the shipping carton the SN labels were on top of each other. Never found out what that was about.

I pulled off the sticker and it says "Recertified" They are starting to P*** me off. I'll either get a good one this time or a brand New One or a Refund:mad:

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
CPTuell is offline  
post #8759 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 4,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I just got a new firmware update for my 65x900A.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
Shape is offline  
post #8760 of 10793 Old 05-21-2014, 06:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

I just got a new firmware update for my 65x900A.

Just tried - no update for mine yet mad.gif
Mdjones9137 is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off