Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 301 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9001 of 10834 Old 05-25-2014, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Yes I know,just wondering since most of his viewing will be from dish satellite and direct tv,would the 1080p W850A set be better or would the X900A upscale it just as good.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 10834 Old 05-25-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post

This weekend I reaffirmed my love for the X900A.....

Background :

A month back, after a year almost of pining for the most beautiful looking TV set I had seen in a long time and also with the best LCD picture I had seen, I brought home the 55X90A for the newly designed bedroom.
The entire family was blown away. For the 1st time since 3d everyone wanted to see it and the 4 pairs didnt hurt. However for me the honeymoon was short lived, I use prescription glasses, and through them I could see the horizontal lines on 2D content.
No matter what I could not bear them. My brother or girlfriend didn't see them even when pointed out. But I was very sensitive.

Then a couple of days back, I was in Malaysia and a contact from Sony India, who knew what i was going through, set me up with a demo of the X90B and the X90A, both 65 inchers. He said he will let me upgrade to either of them (X90B in june), but asked me to have a look first.

Comparison (Subjective) of both X90A and X90B :

I put both modes in general scene (I kno I know but I wanted to check them full blown out), and put back light and brightness at normal levels and switched of things like live colour and advanced contract enhancer. We switched off the lights as much as possible (it was a commercial demo area) and started playing Blu-Rays. I had carried with me a copy of the Dark Knight and Hugo, 2 movies Im most familiar with.

Strengths of the B version :

1. The brightness was definitely higher, however when I set the modes right, the brightness difference was very little.
2. It played a lot of 4k content through USB. And very well.
3. The sound also seemed to have more low end.

Strengths of the A version.

1. Let me get this out of the way first, I am a design freak. And wall-mounted or otherwise, the A version blows the B out of the water immediately. The B is very badly designed, it seems like a behemoth and things like a fatter wall mount, the camera badly designed and the rounded edges create a bad impression. Don't get me started on the wedge. The A version is hands down one of the most beautiful sets in my opinion ever. It looks like a carved sheet of thin glass from the side.
2. Somehow I have now seen 3 65 inchers, and all of them exhibited minimal clouding issues if none at all. The 65inch B had this problem, just like my 55 incher. And no amount of backlight control completely made them go away. This also led to the feeling that the A had better blacks.
3. 3D 3D 3D. Could never use active no matter what I tried, didn't like it on the B. My Hugo torture tests (such as when the station officer looks into the screen and his head pops out) made the decison for me. The 65 has the best 3D I have ever seen any place. This month all I will watch is 3D.

Other than that both the sets were pretty much neck to neck. Content looked superb, both had equal motion strengths and weaknesses. Pretty much the exact picture and I think after calibration they would have the same picture. Maybe more brightness on the A, but sort of the difference between General and Movie on the A version.

Welcome back my love.

My decison was made. I called my Sony guy and asked him to have mine exchanged for the 65 A. And when I landed, my Tv was home 30 minutes before me.

Spent the entire weekend playing 3D movies. OMG!! O_M_G! I was a fan of the 3D on the 55 but the 3d on the larger screen is definitely more involving. Also the lines are gone from my distance.
Calibration done and no issues to report. Almost no clouding and no problems with white screens.
Plus ultimate reaffirmation, both my grandmother and niece couldn't stop oohing and giggling while watching frozen and 3D. smile.gif
So here you go guys, this is the TV for me.

Yea, me too. But after having looked at that Hugo scene just now, its one of the rare places I actually have seen faint crosstalk on my X9A65.  Do you not see any on your A? The new B was really bad? One reviewer said the B version crosstalk was not bad.

nishant786 likes this.
post #9003 of 10834 Old 05-25-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Could anyone with one of these TVs and the hugo 3d blu ray, please confirm if they see any cross talk/ghosting at the 43 min mark (when the officer looks outside the screen while interrogating Hugo).

see above 

post #9004 of 10834 Old 05-25-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post

see above 

Hey thanks a lot. Yes this scene has been my torture test along with the last scene involving Kingsley. Also the first army base scene in avatar. Yes i see this on my 65 along with every single tv i have tested.
Problem is, i had the 55 for a month and never remember playing this scene so I'm not sure if it had this issue. Maybe someone like geoff can confirm.

Problem with the B version was that as always the active glasses were straining my eyes. The 3d was smidgen darker on comparable scenes in dark portions. And also it think the cross talk was noticeable - i cant be very sure as my impressions were brief.
post #9005 of 10834 Old 05-25-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 628

Nishant,

I assume your viewing angle is dead on, not lower then center?  Have you run the 3D crosstalk test on Spears&Munsil ver 2?

In my experience, if you have a crosstalk issue, it manifests itself throughout the movie, not just on a single isolated scene.  Since you haven't said that the entire disk is exhibiting crosstalk issues, I am assuming it isn't.   Are you sure that there isn't something flawed with the 3D encoding on the disk at that spot?

TBH, I see a lot of viewers obsessing about tiny issues, when the big picture is the important thing.  Those expecting perfection should stop searching because no display is perfect.

Carlos_E, nishant786 and RiED27880 like this.
post #9006 of 10834 Old 05-25-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Nishant,

I assume your viewing angle is dead on, not lower then center?  Have you run the 3D crosstalk test on Spears&Munsil ver 2?

In my experience, if you have a crosstalk issue, it manifests itself throughout the movie, not just on a single isolated scene.  Since you haven't said that the entire disk is exhibiting crosstalk issues, I am assuming it isn't.   Are you sure that there isn't something flawed with the 3D encoding on the disk at that spot?

TBH, I see a lot of viewers obsessing about tiny issues, when the big picture is the important thing.  Those expecting perfection should stop searching because no display is perfect.

You are absolutely right jerry. But you forget one thing, this thread has 9000 posts, most by people who purchased months back. Ive realised its because buying a tv set has 2 very exciting stages. 1. Pre-buying - all the research, excitement, possibilities. 2. Post buying - settings, calibration, added features. Almost everyone on this forum is here because we dont have many people in our lives as obsessed about tvs. Most people i know have their eyes glaze over every time i start talking about tvs. :P
So i guess this is the only 'social network' i enjoy. All these little obsessions - if in control - add to the overall fun for me. (For example your calibration adventure - one of the best guides ive seen for this set)

As far as the 3d is concerned. No most of the content 99% is wonderful. I just wanted to figure about this particular scene in Hugo. As you pointed out it could be encoding issues present in the disc itself - however on the discussion thread about this blu ray on this forum - some people seem to find cross talk on this disc the worst ever, and some don't see any issues. So its all tv and panel based.
Was merely trying to gauge that.

Overall iv loved these sets since the first day - even the 55 which was perfect other than the lines.

Anyway thanks jerry - I've placed an order for s and m 2 disc a few days back. Cant wait for it to arrive. Ive noted all that you and Geoff have said, will keep exploring. The post marriage fun has just begun. smile.gifsmile.gif
post #9007 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry I meant xbr 900A Not sure where I got the 600 from. The new set is in fact the 900A

Bill Shenefelt
http://sheneskillies.com
william.shenefelt@verizon.net
post #9008 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm currently watching Prometheus and I just had to say that I LOVE 3D. The 3D on the 65 is amazing! The only sad thing is I can only watch the 3D conversion until Sony decides to add it to the PS4, but the conversion is fantastic in its own right. I can't wait to see native 3D!
RiED27880 likes this.
post #9009 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

He could have just told you, but trolls make it a point not to be helpful.
be careful or you might get your comments deleted like mine were LOL tongue.gif
wase4711 likes this.
post #9010 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:

This weekend I reaffirmed my love for the X900A.....

Background :

A month back, after a year almost of pining for the most beautiful looking TV set I had seen in a long time and also with the best LCD picture I had seen, I brought home the 55X90A for the newly designed bedroom.
The entire family was blown away. For the 1st time since 3d everyone wanted to see it and the 4 pairs didnt hurt. However for me the honeymoon was short lived, I use prescription glasses, and through them I could see the horizontal lines on 2D content.
No matter what I could not bear them. My brother or girlfriend didn't see them even when pointed out. But I was very sensitive.

Then a couple of days back, I was in Malaysia and a contact from Sony India, who knew what i was going through, set me up with a demo of the X90B and the X90A, both 65 inchers. He said he will let me upgrade to either of them (X90B in june), but asked me to have a look first.

Comparison (Subjective) of both X90A and X90B :

I put both modes in general scene (I kno I know but I wanted to check them full blown out), and put back light and brightness at normal levels and switched of things like live colour and advanced contract enhancer. We switched off the lights as much as possible (it was a commercial demo area) and started playing Blu-Rays. I had carried with me a copy of the Dark Knight and Hugo, 2 movies Im most familiar with.

Strengths of the B version :

1. The brightness was definitely higher, however when I set the modes right, the brightness difference was very little.
2. It played a lot of 4k content through USB. And very well.
3. The sound also seemed to have more low end.

Strengths of the A version.

1. Let me get this out of the way first, I am a design freak. And wall-mounted or otherwise, the A version blows the B out of the water immediately. The B is very badly designed, it seems like a behemoth and things like a fatter wall mount, the camera badly designed and the rounded edges create a bad impression. Don't get me started on the wedge. The A version is hands down one of the most beautiful sets in my opinion ever. It looks like a carved sheet of thin glass from the side.
2. Somehow I have now seen 3 65 inchers, and all of them exhibited minimal clouding issues if none at all. The 65inch B had this problem, just like my 55 incher. And no amount of backlight control completely made them go away. This also led to the feeling that the A had better blacks.
3. 3D 3D 3D. Could never use active no matter what I tried, didn't like it on the B. My Hugo torture tests (such as when the station officer looks into the screen and his head pops out) made the decison for me. The 65 has the best 3D I have ever seen any place. This month all I will watch is 3D.

Other than that both the sets were pretty much neck to neck. Content looked superb, both had equal motion strengths and weaknesses. Pretty much the exact picture and I think after calibration they would have the same picture. Maybe more brightness on the A, but sort of the difference between General and Movie on the A version.

Welcome back my love.

My decison was made. I called my Sony guy and asked him to have mine exchanged for the 65 A. And when I landed, my Tv was home 30 minutes before me.

Spent the entire weekend playing 3D movies. OMG!! O_M_G! I was a fan of the 3D on the 55 but the 3d on the larger screen is definitely more involving. Also the lines are gone from my distance.
Calibration done and no issues to report. Almost no clouding and no problems with white screens.
Plus ultimate reaffirmation, both my grandmother and niece couldn't stop oohing and giggling while watching frozen and 3D. smile.gif
So here you go guys, this is the TV for me.

Thanks GeoffD for your advice. smile.gif

The 65 X900A is a thing of beauty indeed! the passive 3D makes it worth it to me over the additional specs found on the B. I am also in love with the carved glass speaker desing. Love it! congrats again smile.gif
wase4711, nishant786 and sdMCM66 like this.
post #9011 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

Yep; for me, I am done with this thread...
Good luck guys!
post #9012 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post

Better for what? More crosstalk? If its only resolution you want and don't care about the other factors then yes, active is better. It has no other advantage. 
but the 65" has full HD per eye though, so that argument for active fans is no longer valid as you will agree smile.gif
nishant786 likes this.
post #9013 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

Sony doesn't make their own panels therefore the 3D is dependent on where they source their panels.

Also 3D is not even remotely as popular as it is on this forum... you just have to look at Vizio dropping 3D from all their 4k sets this year to see what the general market is saying.

maybe the reason its so popular on this thread is because it truely is spectacular, the way 3D was intended to be experienced in the first place. Had it been, maybe vizio and others wouldnt have dropped it and sells would be greater.
post #9014 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

maybe the reason its so popular on this thread is because it truely is spectacular, the way 3D was intended to be experienced in the first place. Had it been, maybe vizio and others wouldn't have dropped it and sells would be greater.

You mean passive 3D? We'll they have the option just like any other manufacturer but the fact is 3D is just not that popular anymore and does nothing to sell TVs... 4k is the new 3D.
Carlos_E likes this.
post #9015 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40

I just noticed that LG makes the largest panels in 4k and passive 3d.

Maybe I have underestimated LG.

I definitely need to examine these tv's , the 79" or 84" would be nice in the sitting room.

post #9016 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

I just noticed that LG makes the largest panels in 4k and passive 3d.
Maybe I have underestimated LG.
I definitely need to examine these tv's , the 79" or 84" would be nice in the sitting room.
funny I've wanted the lg m9600 for so long. The sony x900a is running out and I sit a read these forums because I'm not able to buy my tv until the first week of July.
I realize the A series was a needle in the hay stack. Beautiful set with great sound and great 3d.

Lg is closer than you think to this. The 84m9600 is actually close to my range in price. I am crossing my fingers. The x900a is also on my short wish list. The 75hu8550 from Samsung and of course the x900b as well. I've considered the sharp 80 UQ. All great sets. All affordable this year. By July 7? Who knows what I would of decided.
post #9017 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40

I'm not expecting the LG PQ to be nearly as good as the Sony 900A, but I just want a large screen with passive 3d. 

post #9018 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

I'm not expecting the LG PQ to be nearly as good as the Sony 900A, but I just want a large screen with passive 3d. 
well depends. 4k 84" passive 3d lg with 2 15w subs and 2 10w speakers in front. Just sounds beast.
Yet my heart no matter still wants this x900a.
We will see I guess. I hope to still join the x900a owners group in July. But I'll see if I can still find a new one. Trust worthy new. If not gotta move on.
post #9019 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

Yep; for me, I am done with this thread...
Good luck guys!

oh come on man, dont leave us. your feedback as well as other x9 fellow forum members is greatly appreciated. I will be the first to say that the thread has started to become different from when i joined last summer in a negative way. I have contributed to that as well i admit, and for that i apologize. Lets clrear the air, put all the silly negativity aside and continue to talk technology instead so that we can all continue to learn from each other. smile.gif
post #9020 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

Hey thanks a lot. Yes this scene has been my torture test along with the last scene involving Kingsley. Also the first army base scene in avatar. Yes i see this on my 65 along with every single tv i have tested.
Problem is, i had the 55 for a month and never remember playing this scene so I'm not sure if it had this issue. Maybe someone like geoff can confirm.

Problem with the B version was that as always the active glasses were straining my eyes. The 3d was smidgen darker on comparable scenes in dark portions. And also it think the cross talk was noticeable - i cant be very sure as my impressions were brief.

So you decided on the 900A because of the 2 percent of actual viewing when watching 3D? Makes sense.
Carlos_E, mitico303 and HDTVAV like this.
post #9021 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

So you decided on the 900A because of the 2 percent of actual viewing when watching 3D? Makes sense.

Depends on the person. I watch most movies in 3D
RiED27880 likes this.
post #9022 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Finally played a game, Infamous Second Son. It looked great! I even tried it in 3D, expected ghosting or something, but it looked just fine.
post #9023 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Has anybody had any luck outputting a 3D video from a computer to the TV via HDMI? Is there a specific HDMI thats supposed to be used?
post #9024 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Nishant,

I see one dead pixel at the bottom of my tv. Just 1 dead pixel. Can I return the set? or would the dead pixels get worse? In other words would more dead pixels show up?
post #9025 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashhos View Post

I see one dead pixel at the bottom of my tv. Just 1 dead pixel. Can I return the set? or would the dead pixels get worse? In other words would more dead pixels show up?

I doubt sony would replace it b.c they may consider that "within spec". If are are within a return window you could.
post #9026 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry if this has been discussed, but is the 65xbr900a 8 or 10 bit?
post #9027 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post

Sorry if this has been discussed, but is the 65xbr900a 8 or 10 bit?

10 bit.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #9028 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Well, I went back to best Buy and they price matched my TV to $3299, including the free media player. I originally paid $4500. Pretty happy with getting $1200 back!
dbburns likes this.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #9029 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

Let them. If the powers that be want to be on the wrong side of things, what can I do about it? Moderators should protect us against trolls not beat us up for trying to rid ourselves of them.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #9030 of 10834 Old 05-26-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

Well, I went back to best Buy and they price matched my TV to $3299, including the free media player. I originally paid $4500. Pretty happy with getting $1200 back!

Wow, they did? They wouldn't do it for me, saying the media player wasn't offered in the 3299 deal... I got mine a few weeks back for 3499 + X1. I just wish they would have a standard policy and stick with it... but it worked out for you, thats great.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page