Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 304 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9091 of 12243 Old 05-27-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post

I went to three stores and no deal. No problem, was worth a shot. I'm still as happy as a little girl with my X9A.

Mine didn't either. I called before I went and was told there was an open box, so I did have my hopes up for a little while. However like you I'm very happy just to own this set! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9092 of 12243 Old 05-27-2014, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post

Guys turned on the TV and got a firmware update Pkg 4.421GAA here in Australia. You guys in the US have you had this for a while? or is it a new update across all board? Anyone notice a difference??

Yeah just got this one too. I can see a lot of new applications in the network. Off to work so can't check what else is new. Lets see. smile.gif

Ps. Its great that even after a year we still keep getting updates. No such luck with companies like panasonic and samsung.

Ps2. Ofcourse no 4k playback added.
CSPerera likes this.
post #9093 of 12243 Old 05-27-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I'm not sure that I'd believe this, but the guy at Best Buy that I talked to (who seemed to be the most knowledgeable person there) said that the Sony rep he talked to recently stated that Sony is trying to add some of the functionality of the FMP-X10 back into the FMP-X1. He didn't go beyond that. I'd love to open up the FMP-X1 and see what processor they are using. If it is general purpose with a GPU, it could be possible to add in the high efficiency video codec.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #9094 of 12243 Old 05-27-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgroveman View Post

With regards to getting the 65x900A for $3295 don't you need the new media player to get 4k streaming. I see people referring to the X1 but wouldn't one want the new player?

Well even blu rays look incredible. The x10 is due out in July and will have netflix 4k streaming and the ability to use the USB port. In addition to what the x1 has.
post #9095 of 12243 Old 05-27-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG335XI View Post

Yeah - I don't have any valid credit cards attached to paypal (thank god). Currently my paypal account is -332.60 because of this - However they tried to charge it to an old credit card that was declined (expired)...

I'm surprised they didn't try to deduct from my bank account yet; I probably should call the bank and make sure they block them.

It looks like the guy can hardly speak and write in English, no wonder he would get it wrong. I had to block a buyer like that that read all kinds of things into the item for sale. Selling on ebay is getting to be more and more a pain.
What exactly did he say that the X1 would not do? I only ask because I might be getting the same complaint from the person I sold to. Its like selling a 4K set and the person wants their money back because there is no 4K programming.
Unfortunately I did not say "no refunds".
post #9096 of 12243 Old 05-27-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

It looks like the guy can hardly speak and write in English, no wonder he would get it wrong. I had to block a buyer like that that read all kinds of things into the item for sale. Selling on ebay is getting to be more and more a pain.
What exactly did he say that the X1 would not do? I only ask because I might be getting the same complaint from the person I sold to. Its like selling a 4K set and the person wants their money back because there is no 4K programming.
Unfortunately I did not say "no refunds".
good to know.
post #9097 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 AM

Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

I'm not sure that I'd believe this, but the guy at Best Buy that I talked to (who seemed to be the most knowledgeable person there) said that the Sony rep he talked to recently stated that Sony is trying to add some of the functionality of the FMP-X10 back into the FMP-X1. He didn't go beyond that. I'd love to open up the FMP-X1 and see what processor they are using. If it is general purpose with a GPU, it could be possible to add in the high efficiency video codec.

Sure wish Sony would be more transparent about what they "plan" to do with official announcements for owners of these units, instead of us having to live off rumors and heresay. I understand they could still be working on solutions, so they wouldn't want to make promises they couldn't keep. My X1 is up for sale but I might keep it if it were upgradable to be x10-like. 

post #9098 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure wish Sony would be more transparent about what they "plan" to do with official announcements for owners of these units, instead of us having to live off rumors and heresay. I understand they could still be working on solutions, so they wouldn't want to make promises they couldn't keep. My X1 is up for sale but I might keep it if it were upgradable to be x10-like. 

I said it earlier in the thread, but I seriously doubt they will do anything. The HEVC decoder will be on board in all future 4k streaming/disk based players. Why would they add the hardware to the TV? I understand samsung doing it b.c they have the one connect kits. The x10 is their solution, and until apple, roku, amazon, oppo, or any other company has a 4k streaming device it is the only option. The only problem they needed to address was HDMI 2.0 and they did that smile.gif
Carlos_E likes this.
post #9099 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The FMP-X1 has a pretty beefy power supply. 60W. My Core i5-2540M laptop has a 65W power supply (and the laptop also has to power a screen). For that reason, I suspect the FMP-X1 has a laptop class processor inside of it.

Something like an ARM with a dedicated video decoder wouldn't need anywhere near 60W. So, I believe it is possible for them to upgrade it. Whether or not they will is another question. I'm not going to hold my breath, but it is nice to know that the player has the power available for the functionality.

I may take mine apart just to see what's inside. There don't appear to be any security screws.

post #9100 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know what the SD card slot is for on the front of the FMP-X1? I didn't even know it was there until I started looking closer at it. Just digital photos?

post #9101 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know what the SD card slot is for on the front of the FMP-X1? I didn't even know it was there until I started looking closer at it. Just digital photos?

That would be my guess.
post #9102 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:

The FMP-X1 has a pretty beefy power supply. 60W. My Core i5-2540M laptop has a 65W power supply (and the laptop also has to power a screen). For that reason, I suspect the FMP-X1 has a laptop class processor inside of it.

Something like an ARM with a dedicated video decoder wouldn't need anywhere near 60W. So, I believe it is possible for them to upgrade it. Whether or not they will is another question. I'm not going to hold my breath, but it is nice to know that the player has the power available for the functionality.

I may take mine apart just to see what's inside. There don't appear to be any security screws.

IMO, it is highly unlikely that the X1 is upgradable, or will ever be upgraded. Why would they develop and release the X10 without mentioning that the X1 would be upgradable? It doesn't make any sense, so I would not be holding your breath.

If there is an opportunity to sell the X1, do it. If anyone is interested in purchasing mine, send me a PM. I'll give you a good deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9103 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

IMO, it is highly unlikely that the X1 is upgradable, or will ever be upgraded. Why would they develop and release the X10 without mentioning that the X1 would be upgradable? It doesn't make any sense, so I would not be holding your breath.

If there is an opportunity to sell the X1, do it. If anyone is interested in purchasing mine, send me a PM. I'll give you a good deal.

The X10 is a cheaper box to produce. Smaller hard drive (1TB vs 2TB), and the hardware probably isn't general purpose like the X1 likely is. Plus the X1 was built without wireless.

But yeah, you are probably correct about the X10 vs X1 and their plans.

I don't understand why they didn't just build the Sony 4k movie download service and hardware into the 2014 TVs (just plug in a USB drive) rather than have a box you need to buy.

post #9104 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The X10 is a cheaper box to produce. Smaller hard drive (1TB vs 2TB), and the hardware probably isn't general purpose like the X1 likely is. Plus the X1 was built without wireless.

But yeah, you are probably correct about the X10 vs X1 and their plans.

I don't understand why they didn't just build the Sony 4k movie download service and hardware into the 2014 TVs (just plug in a USB drive) rather than have a box you need to buy.

You answered your own question smile.gif. If they can squeeze an extra $500 out of people, why not? I think they missed the HEVC boat with the X1, so are just abandoning it all together. It will still get sony unlimited, but my hope is the x10 will be able to add future streaming services via updates (hulu, amazon prime, or any other 4k streaming provider assuming they have a partnership with them).
post #9105 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post

You answered your own question smile.gif. I think they missed the HEVC boat with the X1, so are just abandoning it all together. It will still get sony unlimited, but my hope is the x10 will be able to add future streaming services via updates (hulu, amazon prime, or any other 4k streaming provider assuming they have a partnership with them).

I may have underestimated the power required for HEVC at 4k. Apparently without GPU acceleration it takes a Core i7 quad. GPU acceleration isn't a simple thing to figure out.

Anyway, again, not holding my breath. Just interested in what's inside the puck.

post #9106 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I am debating the same thing weather to return the X1 & preorder X10 or just keep the X1 & hold out for a third party 4k media player with HEVC or even perhaps future Oppo player with HEVC. I am reluctant to return X1 that I got at a great clearance price at Frys & spend much more on X10 which has a smaller hard drive & just USB 2.0.

Vinod
post #9107 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

I an debating the same thing weather to return the X1 & preorder X10 or just keep the X10 & hold out for a third party 4k media player with HEVC or even perhaps future Oppo player with HEVC. I am reluctant to return X1 that I got at a great clearance price at Frys & spend much more on X10 which has a smaller hard drive & just USB 2.0.

Hold the X1 and wait. Willing to bet by end of year there's a 4k Apple TV, Roku, etc - all with HEVC. The two or three series Netflix has in 4k will still be available by then, I'm sure... wink.gif
post #9108 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Right. Either 4k playing/streaming devices will become ubiquitous and there will be plenty of media to choose from and play, or they will not, and there won't be any 4k media to play, anyway. tongue.gif

post #9109 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I buy now x900a will I need to hardware upgrade it to support hdcp 2.2 ? Or the newer ons already have it ?
post #9110 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I sold my X1 months ago, my question is, if i decide to get the X10, will i be able to re download the titles i purchased on the X1? would be realy stupid if you aren't allowed to IMO. only thing that sucks is that unlike the X1, the X10 is only one TB. Not sure why unless they plan to compress even further the data needed to store a 4k film.
post #9111 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:

Right. Either 4k playing/streaming devices will become ubiquitous and there will be plenty of media to choose from and play, or they will not, and there won't be any 4k media to play, anyway. tongue.gif

I think you are right on target here. 4K options are unfolding, but things are still so cloudy that it makes sense to defer any decisions at this time. If you have an opportunity to return an X1 for credit, I think that would be a good move, because there is no future for that device. Unless, of course, you absolutely need to be able to demonstrate a few 4K clips to impress your friends while you wait for better options to materialize.

If it were not for the fact that the up-scaled images on the 65X900A continue to amaze me, I would be depressed with the state of 4K.

post #9112 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 07:58 AM

Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

I sold my X1 months ago, my question is, if i decide to get the X10, will i be able to re download the titles i purchased on the X1? would be realy stupid if you aren't allowed to IMO. only thing that sucks is that unlike the X1, the X10 is only one TB. Not sure why unless they plan to compress even further the data needed to store a 4k film.

If you have the 4K Unlimited account I would think absolutely YES without question!

RiED27880 likes this.
post #9113 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saad84 View Post

If I buy now x900a will I need to hardware upgrade it to support hdcp 2.2 ? Or the newer ons already have it ?

Any newer set will already have hdcp 2.2. It was really only panels manufactured in the first week that needed the new board.
Quote:

You own the movie once you buy it, so that would be trash if you could not re-download it.
post #9114 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Why in the world would they go to a smaller hard drive on the X10? Is it an effort to save money? Hard drives are cheap, it doesn't make any sense.
Unless the movies are going to be stored on a Sony cloud, like Netflix.....you can stream but it doesn't go on a home hard drive.
Pixel Dude and RiED27880 like this.
post #9115 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Why in the world would they go to a smaller hard drive on the X10? Is it an effort to save money? Hard drives are cheap, it doesn't make any sense.
Unless the movies are going to be stored on a Sony cloud, like Netflix.....you can stream but it doesn't go on a home hard drive.

One would hope you could hook up an external HD for extra storage.

post #9116 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also wish they kept it at 2tb. I think you can connect your own external though.
post #9117 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17

This thread has kind of taken a X1 or X10 route... Lets try to keep it about the x900a.

Hope this helps:

post #9118 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0182 View Post

This thread has kind of taken a X1 or X10 route... Lets try to keep it about the x900a.

Hope this helps:

...Says the guy who hasn't touched or reviewed one yet.
post #9119 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0182 View Post

Hope this helps:

What does he mean by "despite being 4K"? The x900a is 4K as well.
Carlos_E and RiED27880 like this.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #9120 of 12243 Old 05-28-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

What does he mean by "despite being 4K"? The x900a is 4K as well.

I think the person responding to the question was comparing the xbr900b to the w900a (non 4k). As much as I like some things on cnet, they are very anti 4k. Hence that comment frown.gif
Carlos_E likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page