Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 309 - AVS Forum
First ... 307  308  309 310  311  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
Carlos_E's Avatar Carlos_E 11:58 AM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post

MrOrange;
I think the 900B has active not passive 3d and not the front speaker array if either matters to you.

What do you mean exactly "and not the front speaker array?"

SG335XI's Avatar SG335XI 12:14 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post

What do you mean exactly "and not the front speaker array?"

Wondered the same thing about that comment

As a 900B owner, can you make sure those aren't fake speakers. smile.gif
Mattopotamus's Avatar Mattopotamus 02:00 PM 05-30-2014
Could I hook my tablet to the 900a and watch downloaded 4k content? It would be connected using a micro USB to HDMI adapter.

If not, what about just plugging a USB loaded with content into a bluray that allows for 4k passthrough?
Bill Shenefelt's Avatar Bill Shenefelt 02:20 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post

I think "decent for an in set system" is an understatement. For a TV this thing absolutely rocks for listening to music. I listen to a variety of music styles (minus country, metal, and rap.. no offense to anyone who does) and the sound on my particular X9A 65" is awesome for music, and I have "decent" AVR + tower speakers in my living room. I don't like the standard sound settings on the X9, but once I tweaked some of the muddy low end out of it, switched to sport mode, and turned off the sound booster it sounds really great to me. I switch freely between Night, Normal and OFF for AutoVolume and it works very well. Now for movies or TV I guess its a different thing altogether, but I find it much more than adequate unless you are looking for earth-shattering bass and/or surround. Hope you get a good set this time!

I agree that the sound on the 600A is real good for an in set sound. From a sound perspective I am spoiled rotten though. I use a Klipsch center channel with a JBL bullet tweeter to help me with sibilants(my hearing above 7K is pretty poor). I have gotten used to the sound of my big JBL's and the horns in them which is very defined in the midrange from about 800 cps to 3k cps. I could not afford the JBL L300"s as they were expensive way back in the late 1960's thru 1970's so I saved and bought the JBL raw drivers to build them. I also bought the matching JBL crossovers and built my own cabinets from 1" thick high density flakeboard with hardwood 2x2 bracing. The bass is strong and clean down to the mid 30 cps range easily at 110 dB not 95 dB) and the horns go up to about 14 K pretty well. When I upgraded these to the 4343 4 way monitors, I had some parts left over and then built TV speakers for right and left.

When I got my infocus front projector, I bought two more used horn compression drivers and a coule more JBL 15 inch drivers for the tv system cabinets. My origonal JBL's from the 80's now are part of my home built 4 way JBL 4343 monitors for my stereo system. Combined with a little Klipsch center channel which seemed to fit the JBL strong midrange sound character so I have it bolted to the ceiling and the 6 cubic ft two way JBLs on each side in the front. I bought three little home JBL speakers for the side and rear surrounds. Junk but more than adequate for surround. Good "TV sound" to me is primarily the speech range. If you cannot understand dialogue, you may as well just turn it off. For movies, a bit more bass potential and strong brief transients are nice to have. A lot of low end stereos are all boom bass and tinkel and not good sounding voice so make crummy tv speakers but may sound impressive for some rock and some metal but not good true sound. When I tape (DAT recorder) my daughter in the living room and play it back there on my good JBL system, it is like her standing there. (She has a Masters in voice performance and sings with Pittsburgh Opera so is not a slouch). I think, for just tv not movies, the 600A speakers do a good job. They to me are only fair for movies though. Now I have 4 speakers at 6 cu ft each plus an 8 cu ft subwoffer in the living room. One end of the 28 ft room is the stereo equipment end and the other end is the tv and audio equipment end. We squeeze into the middle! Thank goodness for lenient wives.
Mrorange303's Avatar Mrorange303 02:26 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG335XI View Post

Glad you like it - did you buy one? 

I was offering my opinion... not "spewing ignorance." 

If I was "spewing ignorance" I would say something like "Mrorange303 is a stupid a-hole for thinking that curved TVs aren't a gimmick."
Yeah sure. Ok.
RiED27880's Avatar RiED27880 03:51 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post

I spent 2 hours in bestbuy comparing the hu9000 and x900a side by side. There is a distinct advantage in upscaling on the hu9000. This is not a small or close competition. The hu9000 made.blurays look 4k. I cannot agree with. I simply cannot take that seriously. I love the x9 a. But the owners can can be delusional. Some are honest. But I will tell you right now, the people who say the x900a is brighter than the sammy. Or sharper looking. I know you have never seen the hu9000 in person. It's simple. The hu9000 uses a light technology comparable by the x900b. Not the x900a. I asked for an honest opinion. I'll take the ones who gave great answers. But for some.... no way you was able to review the hu9000 upscaling like you say. I spent literally 2 hours with both. Played avangers, dark knight, avatar and Pacific rim. Not once did the x900a do a better job. Not one single time. It never looked bad. It was never left in the dust. But the Sammy clearly is sharper and brighter with upscaling blurays. And yes it does matter. I have 500 plus blurays.

you clearly seem to prefer Sammy tvs, and thats ok. Everyone has a different taste, but to say i am in some way dilusional or that i have never seen the HU9000 in person is like calling someone a lier because they dont agree with you. I saw both sets, I had 1080p content on a usbi took and was allowed to test both sets with similar settings. I actually commented in this thread a few days ago about it before you brought this up. The 65" curved samsung is impressive, i'm not saying it isnt. BUT THE WAY IT HANDLED THE SAME 1080p content i tested was one of its weakness. It wasnt just me, i did it in front of the best buy employees and they all seem to agree the sony looked more natural than the new Samsung. My point is that the X900A, although a year old, has still one of the best 4k upscaling engine out there competing and still beating other 2014 4k sets regardless of their new gimmicks. I still havent seen the X900B in person however, so i cant comment, but based on the great reviews on its upscaling being a bit better than our A, that would defenatly make it the winner between the two for 2014.
Bill Shenefelt's Avatar Bill Shenefelt 04:07 PM 05-30-2014
I made a stupid mistake. Maybe I was thinking of the 65x850 or 950 or just confused I guess. There was a lot of talk on the site about people hating the front speaker bars on each side of the screen on the 900A. The 900B has the same spec for audio as the 900A. Maybe during that section, people said that they hoped the new set would not be arranged that way and I thought it was based on their hopes.In any case, what I said was incorrect.

So they are the same except for the passive versus active 3D and the USB input on the B (I heard is theUSB2) but the A will need and get a free update to USB2, yet the Sony site shows both with 3 usb2 ports. My 600A set has USB 1 I guess as the inside of the jacks is black. I think USB2 is white and usb3 is blue. To me for the pre installed USB2 and the active 3D, I really do not see why anyone would want to pay the "newer full price of about $1000 more" for the B unless they want active 3d. Maybe someone knows what other differences may be.
I really do not see anything other than the 3d glasses type and cost. For whatever reason I visually see 3 speakers on the front of the 600A on each side. Maybe one of the woofers on each side is just a passive radiator on the A in lieu of a port,. There may be a port on the back of the B I'm not sure. They both do move when touched with my fingerso is not just a solid fake. The specs say the same thing for the 900 A and B on the Sony site for audio but I count 2 speakers on each side on the picture of the B and my A has 3, one "woofer size cone" above and another below the center tweeter. Maybe I can feed it a midbass signal and see if they both move or vibrate or only move at the lower frequencies like a passive radiator. . A passive radiator is just loading in lieu of a port and does nothing to or for the sound. Either is used to tune a ported enclosure to increase bass response and limit bass speaker resonance that could cause it damage. It in some cases a passive radiator does allow a tuning frequency that would be difficult to get with a port in the enclosure due to the needed port length exceeding the box depth. It seems that the spec on Skype shows the A to be Skype "ready" so maybe the B has a camera, and the A does not. I'm not sure. There are a few audio features that read different for the two sets and may or may not really mean anything . It there were significant improvements of the B over the A, Sony should tout them I would expect.
Carlos_E's Avatar Carlos_E 04:15 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post

I made a stupid mistake. Maybe I was thinking of the 65x850 or 950 or just confused I guess. There was a lot of talk on the site about people hating the front speaker bars on each side of the screen on the 900A. The 900B has the same spec for audio as the 900A. Maybe during that section, people said that they hoped the new set would not be arranged that way and I thought it was based on their hopes.In any case, what I said was incorrect.

So they are the same except for the passive versus active 3D and the USB input on the B (I heard is theUSB2) but the A will need and get a free update to USB2, yet the Sony site shows both with 3 usb2 ports. My 600A set has USB 1 I guess as the inside of the jacks is black. I think USB2 is white and usb3 is blue. To me for the pre installed USB2 and the active 3D, I really do not see why anyone would want to pay the "newer full price of about $1000 more" for the B unless they want active 3d. Maybe someone knows what other differences may be.
I really do not see anything other than the 3d glasses type and cost. For whatever reason I visually see 3 speakers on the front of the 600A on each side. Maybe one of the woofers on each side is just a passive radiator on the A in lieu of a port,. There may be a port on the back of the B I'm not sure. They both do move when touched with my fingerso is not just a solid fake. The specs say the same thing for the 900 A and B on the Sony site for audio but I count 2 speakers on each side on the picture of the B and my A has 3, one "woofer size cone" above and another below the center tweeter. Maybe I can feed it a midbass signal and see if they both move or vibrate or only move at the lower frequencies like a passive radiator. . A passive radiator is just loading in lieu of a port and does nothing to or for the sound. Either is used to tune a ported enclosure to increase bass response and limit bass speaker resonance that could cause it damage. It in some cases a passive radiator does allow a tuning frequency that would be difficult to get with a port in the enclosure due to the needed port length exceeding the box depth. It seems that the spec on Skype shows the A to be Skype "ready" so maybe the B has a camera, and the A does not. I'm not sure. There are a few audio features that read different for the two sets and may or may not really mean anything . It there were significant improvements of the B over the A, Sony should tout them I would expect.

Please read the 900B thread. A lot of your assumptions are wrong.
Mdjones9137's Avatar Mdjones9137 04:26 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:

Please read the 900B thread. A lot of your assumptions are wrong.

The 900B also supports an optional subwoofer - however this is the 900a thread .
If i want to read about how wonderful the b is - wouldn't i go there?
I have the a and am not looking for another TV
smile.gif
Carlos_E's Avatar Carlos_E 04:46 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post

The 900B also supports an optional subwoofer - however this is the 900a thread .
smile.gif

Are you Bill? My comment was for Bill Shenefelt. Instead of correcting his long post here in the 900a thread I suggested he read the 900b thread.

I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. We all should be.
Mattopotamus's Avatar Mattopotamus 04:58 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:

smile.gif

Is the subwoofer a B only feature? Or can you add one to the A and keep using the built in speakers?
Mdjones9137's Avatar Mdjones9137 05:09 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:

Are you Bill? My comment was for Bill Shenefelt. Instead of correcting his long post here in the 900a thread I suggested he read the 900b thread.

I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. We all should be.

My comment was really for Bill too and i was agreeing with you.
biggrin.gif
Mdjones9137's Avatar Mdjones9137 05:31 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post

Is the subwoofer a B only feature? Or can you add one to the A and keep using the built in speakers?

The A doesn't have that feature.
The B supports the subwoofer output trough the headphone jack based on the sony users manual.
tdrozdowski's Avatar tdrozdowski 06:31 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:

The B supports the subwoofer output trough the headphone jack based on the sony users manual.

And so does the A - that's how I have it setup. Works great.
RiED27880's Avatar RiED27880 06:32 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:

i thought you could add a subwoofer to the A through the headphone jack as well, just not a wireless sub like the B can.
Carlos_E's Avatar Carlos_E 06:41 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:

The B can use a Bravia wireless bluetooth sub. The bluetooth dongle plugs into a USB slot then audio cable goes from dongle to the headphone jack. You can configure and control the sub from the TV menu.
Mdjones9137's Avatar Mdjones9137 06:50 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrozdowski View Post

And so does the A - that's how I have it setup. Works great.

Cool
What subwoofer model are you using?
Bill Shenefelt's Avatar Bill Shenefelt 06:55 PM 05-30-2014
Attaching a Subwoofer supplement to 900A sound system.

In the Sony 900A menu you can select headphone or audio out for a signal coming out thru a 1/4 inch stereo phono jack. I see no sub out. I think if you were feeding HDMI from a blu-ray or other device that has no amp for audio it should send sound via an HDMI connection to the tv audio sysem. My Yamaha receiver does not send audio with the video via HDMI to the tv audio section. It does require use of HDMI 1 for audio return so maybe that has something to do with it. I assume that then you could use the headphone/audio out jack to send audio out from an HDMI selected source that has no amp, like a blu ray or dvd. Not sure if the tv internal speakers still operate if the audio jack is used. I would think they might but maybe not. After all if you wanted the audio signal from the tv for headphone listening would you want the tv speakers on? It may be just to use the tv as a switcher to select among the 4 HDMI sources and use an external amplifier or two or more external speakers. I actually don't know if you would be turning off the internal speakers if you plugged a stereo plug into the headphone out with audio not headphone selected what it would do. Also, if the internal speakers continue to operate, the out jack can be set to line level or to tv remote volume control. To connect an audio system to the TV it says that you connect a cable with left&right rca plugs to the audio system and the other end of the cable (a 1/4 stereo phono plug) into the TV audio/headphone jack. I think if it is an amp, you can use it in place of the internal tv speakers and control the volume using the tv remote. There is an electronic switch in the menu that determines if the jack works as a headphone out or an audio out and a second switch that allows selection of line level versus tv volume control of the audio out. It also has an optical digital audio out. Not sure if you could somehow use this as an input to your AV receiver then drive a sub from there. There is no direct jack for a subwoofer though.

I would say call Sony and see if they can explain if and how you could still use the internal speakers simultaneous with the audio out jack. You might get lucky and find a rep that has some idea as to how his product works. I think odds are against that though. I have never had any luck getting technically knowledgeable reps with big foreign companies. If it is not in the manual they do not have a clue.
Bill Shenefelt's Avatar Bill Shenefelt 07:03 PM 05-30-2014
The Sony site for the 900 B does reference a subwoofer out and the audio out on the same line of their spec page. The speck page for the 900A however does not display the word subwoofer on the line showing an audio out jack function. I'm not sure if this is significant or not.
cminer72's Avatar cminer72 07:13 PM 05-30-2014
I am very paranoid when I buy new electronics. I purchased a 65x900a, and after getting it placed on the stand I wiped the finger prints off the screen. A couple spots needed a bit more pressure with the microfiber cloth. How can you tell if this damages the screen? Does it develop a dark bruise like appearance or can it be seen during white screens where a spot looks brighter? Or is the glass stronger than most LCD tvs/monitors? My previous Bravia was fully back lit and not edge lit. So I'm guessing the uneven lighting, shadows and blotchiness is normal with edge lit displays? There is a cloudiness at times during black screens and white screens can look blotchy with some spots brighter than the another. Some appear as streaks and some as a finger or thumb size spot. To be honest, I'm just not used to this stuff and it may just be the nuances of edge lit screens.
flinchn's Avatar flinchn 08:17 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cminer72 View Post

I am very paranoid when I buy new electronics. I purchased a 65x900a, and after getting it placed on the stand I wiped the finger prints off the screen. A couple spots needed a bit more pressure with the microfiber cloth. How can you tell if this damages the screen? Does it develop a dark bruise like appearance or can it be seen during white screens where a spot looks brighter? Or is the glass stronger than most LCD tvs/monitors? My previous Bravia was fully back lit and not edge lit. So I'm guessing the uneven lighting, shadows and blotchiness is normal with edge lit displays? There is a cloudiness at times during black screens and white screens can look blotchy with some spots brighter than the another. Some appear as streaks and some as a finger or thumb size spot. To be honest, I'm just not used to this stuff and it may just be the nuances of edge lit screens.

Thanks to help from members here: I found that to clean the panel's glass - diluted vinegar with a microfiber cloth (then dried with another one) eliminated all streaks, prints and even cigarette residue (I quit smoking 3 months ago)

This was way more effective than using a cloth alone and applying pressure when something was stubborn.
I'm not sure what to use on the bezel, though - I'm not having a lot of luck getting finger prints off that. (I have it on a swivel so I point the screen to the viewing area, touching the bezel more often than most, I suspect)

As for screen uniformity on whites and blacks, panels may vary.

I have excellent uniformity and have found my settings below to eliminate some previous issues. No panel is perfect - I have seen some very, very minor vignette sometimes - and some minor motion artifacts on horizontally panning blue skies at the top of the panel. My DirecTV channels is where I see most of this. (note: very few commercials have a pure white background, and you shouldn't expect them to be - you will see a much better white uniformity on the few that are, once you have good settings dialed in)
Mrorange303's Avatar Mrorange303 08:30 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

you clearly seem to prefer Sammy tvs, and thats ok. Everyone has a different taste, but to say i am in some way dilusional or that i have never seen the HU9000 in person is like calling someone a lier because they dont agree with you. I saw both sets, I had 1080p content on a usbi took and was allowed to test both sets with similar settings. I actually commented in this thread a few days ago about it before you brought this up. The 65" curved samsung is impressive, i'm not saying it isnt. BUT THE WAY IT HANDLED THE SAME 1080p content i tested was one of its weakness. It wasnt just me, i did it in front of the best buy employees and they all seem to agree the sony looked more natural than the new Samsung. My point is that the X900A, although a year old, has still one of the best 4k upscaling engine out there competing and still beating other 2014 4k sets regardless of their new gimmicks. I still havent seen the X900B in person however, so i cant comment, but based on the great reviews on its upscaling being a bit better than our A, that would defenatly make it the winner between the two for 2014.
Yeah sure.
cminer72's Avatar cminer72 08:41 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:

I do not believe I did any pressure damage as the spots that bother me are brighter on a light or white screen and not dark spots and are not where I was cleaning with any pressure which was really only one spot. Is there some settings to turn off that may cut down on the uneven lighting and bright spots or do I have to live with it?
CJ4life's Avatar CJ4life 09:07 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:

I do not believe I did any pressure damage as the spots that bother me are brighter on a light or white screen and not dark spots and are not where I was cleaning with any pressure which was really only one spot. Is there some settings to turn off that may cut down on the uneven lighting and bright spots or do I have to live with it?

Unless the pressure you were applying was far above the norm, I don't think you cleaning had anything at all to do with blotchiness, or clouding as the technical term is known. This is just one of the side effects of having an edge lit panel as opposed to a back lit system. Settings can REALLY reduce the effect. Using AustinJerry's settings, I've managed to make clouding and light bleed from the sides be an almost non-issue. Granted, my set had very minimal clouding to begin with, but the light bleed on the sides has gotten a lot better.I only get it now with low quality content, or extremely difficult scenes for the TV to recreate.

halon's Avatar halon 09:22 PM 05-30-2014
I was watching The Amazing Siderman 3D and something was crawling on the screen. When I got up to the screen I see it is a carpentar ant, so I have the problem to take care of now. Anyways. I go to brush it off the screen but everytime I tried to brush it away I discoverd my hand wasn't even near the screen. Everytime I would move it a little closer I thought for sure I was there.

Pointless story, just thought it was cool.
rsnyder005's Avatar rsnyder005 09:38 PM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

I would agree with this entirely.I have both sets at home and the Sony has a much better 1080p picture with lesser content(TW cable) Blue-ray or Vudu hdx look great on both-the Samsung has more detail and the sony better overall colors.Just my observation as a person who owns both.
nishant786's Avatar nishant786 09:50 PM 05-30-2014
Yesterday after weeks I could take out a whole day for just movie watching. I watched 4 of the most visually different movies and enjoyed every single moment. Here are my impressions.

Tokyo Story

The image was just so good, especially because I was watching this not in complete darkness. The blacks were black, the whites were white and more importantly the greys were grey. No red, yellow or green push. And more importantly the image was so plasma like - not digital or processed at all. I love this in black and white movies. smile.gif
Also, what a great movie!

The Sorcerer

Another great image. The greens were so beautiful, the textures so well defined and the dark scenes were incredible. The soundtrack also felt so great coming from Tv speakers. I was spellbound and didn't move for the entire movie. Liked the movie also much better than i imagined, especially because wages of fear is one of my favourites.

Skyfall

I was blown away more than I imagined, the image was better than I had seen in Imax. Every single texture, blacklevel, colour just popped. Seeing a modern image really gets the most out of this TV. This could be a demo disc for this TV.

Brave 3D

This animated 3d feature just made my day. OMG! Every single texture, every single colour, every single line was beautiful. The 3d depth was just so real, this is what 3D was meant to be. smile.gif

Overall what I was most impressed with was one thing. Every single movie I remember watching I would tinker the settings with a little bit. I watched almost 10 hours of movies and didn't touch the remote once. My girlfriend fell in love with the Tv for this one reason alone. :P
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 10:04 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post

Overall what I was most impressed with was one thing. Every single movie I remember watching I would tinker the settings with a little bit. I watched almost 10 hours of movies and didn't touch the remote once.

Congratulations.  That is the way it should be!

RiED27880's Avatar RiED27880 10:05 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post

Yeah sure.
yes, you're right..i'm "sure" of it wink.gif but don't take my word for it, buy one (or a B) and see for yoursel. lol
nishant786's Avatar nishant786 10:08 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Congratulations.  That is the way it should be!

Have a lot to thank you for. Started with your settings. smile.gif
Tags: Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
First ... 307  308  309 310  311  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop