Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
electrofascist's Avatar electrofascist 06:11 PM 07-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Finished doing the initial calibration of the 4K yesterday, then compared to my 1080P from 10 feet away. Now I need cataract surgery, and I can see a decided difference between the two! Want to tell even better, run a Sharpness test and calibration on the 4K and 1080P sets - now you'll see a noticeable difference. Sharp Lines (4K), fuzzy lines 1080P.
To make dang sure, going back to Basics and Scratch, and calibrating both from top to bottom, so they both have fresh calibrations.

Yeah, upscaled material is noticeably improved. A 1080 set now looks a little murky next to the X9.

dreaux's Avatar dreaux 06:58 PM 07-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Finished doing the initial calibration of the 4K yesterday, then compared to my 1080P from 10 feet away. Now I need cataract surgery, and I can see a decided difference between the two! Want to tell even better, run a Sharpness test and calibration on the 4K and 1080P sets - now you'll see a noticeable difference. Sharp Lines (4K), fuzzy lines 1080P.
To make dang sure, going back to Basics and Scratch, and calibrating both from top to bottom, so they both have fresh calibrations.

What kind of 1080p set?
kbrod1's Avatar kbrod1 08:02 PM 07-28-2013
Board isn't as active as it used to be. Guess everyone using their X1 player. Anyway, I've been noticing a lot of judder lately on my DVR recordings from directtv. I've tinkered with various settings on the TV without much remedy. It's very irritating and unsettling when everything has this robotic movement. Has anyone else come across this?.
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 08:20 PM 07-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1 View Post

Board isn't as active as it used to be. Guess everyone using their X1 player. Anyway, I've been noticing a lot of judder lately on my DVR recordings from directtv. I've tinkered with various settings on the TV without much remedy. It's very irritating and unsettling when everything has this robotic movement. Has anyone else come across this?.

Is MotionFlow "on" if so turn it off and see if that is the remedy..

Also check "Cinemotion"

[Motionflow]
[Smooth]: Provides smoother picture movement; especially effective for film-based content.
[Standard]: Provides smoother picture movement for standard use.
[Clear]: Reduces motion blur while maintaining brightness for high-speed picture content.
[Clear Plus]: Reduces motion blur for high-speed picture content more than [Clear].
[Impulse]: Reproduces original picture quality. Provides cinema-like picture, which may flicker.
[True Cinema]: Images, such as a movie created in 24 frames per second, are reproduced at the
original framerate.
[Off]: Use this setting if [Smooth], [Standard], [Clear], [Clear Plus], [Impulse] or [True Cinema]
results in a distorted picture.
(Depending on the picture content, you may not see the effect visually even if you have changed
the settings.)

[CineMotion]
[Auto]: Displays film-based content with picture expression close to the original by applying a filmspecific
process.
[Off]: Turns off [CineMotion].
(If the image contains irregular signals or too much noise, this setting is automatically turned off
even if [Auto] is selected.)

kbrod1's Avatar kbrod1 08:42 PM 07-28-2013
I tried with motionflow on and off without much remedy. CineMotion has been set to auto. I even turned that off as well without change in appearance. I wonder if it's not the set but the actual recording from DirectTv. I hate it when I see it though.
dreaux's Avatar dreaux 10:22 PM 07-28-2013
Quote:

I tried with motionflow on and off without much remedy. CineMotion has been set to auto. I even turned that off as well without change in appearance. I wonder if it's not the set but the actual recording from DirectTv. I hate it when I see it though.

Are you running Directv through an AVR to the set? If so could you have the resolution set on 1080p 24Hz. That could cause a jerkiness especially when watching sports.
love2lindy's Avatar love2lindy 04:53 PM 07-29-2013
So I had my surgery today, WITHOUTsuccess. The board in the TV was successfully updated and the firmware updates to the TV and X1 were also successful. However, when the techs tried to view something from the X1, they could only see one or two previews. Every time they tried to view a movie the X1 would just restart and go back to the main menu.

The techs spent a lot of time on the phone with a Sony tech person who seemed to think that the problem was related to our network setup. We have both the TV and X1 hardwired, but to a network switch which is connected to a router. The Sony tech seemed to think that a direct connection to the router was necessary ... i.e., the connect we had was not "fast enough". Luckily I was able to haul out sufficiently long cables to connect both the TV and the X1 directly to the router, but stlll no success. Then the Sony tech said that it might be that the ethernet cables used to connect to the router were too long (25').

Does this make any sense to anyone here? What role does the network play in my getting something on my X1 to play on my TV? I thought these movies were on the X1, not on the network!

Anyway, after 2.5 hours the techs gave up and told me that I would be getting a call soon from Sony techs, who were giving my problem "expedited support". (Yeah, right.)

I suspect I just have a bad X1 and would like to see another one on my doorstep ASAP!!

Is anyone else who is successfully using their X1 connected to the network via a switch (i.e., not directly from a router)?

BTW, after the techs left I am unable to even view the menu on the X1. I go to HDML 4 on my TV but don't see anything -- is there an on/off button on the X1 I'm not seeing? I tried rebooting but no luck.
JFR0317's Avatar JFR0317 05:03 PM 07-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2lindy View Post

So I had my surgery today, WITHOUTsuccess. The board in the TV was successfully updated and the firmware updates to the TV and X1 were also successful. However, when the techs tried to view something from the X1, they could only see one or two previews. Every time they tried to view a movie the X1 would just restart and go back to the main menu.

The techs spent a lot of time on the phone with a Sony tech person who seemed to think that the problem was related to our network setup. We have both the TV and X1 hardwired, but to a network switch which is connected to a router. The Sony tech seemed to think that a direct connection to the router was necessary ... i.e., the connect we had was not "fast enough". Luckily I was able to haul out sufficiently long cables to connect both the TV and the X1 directly to the router, but stlll no success. Then the Sony tech said that it might be that the ethernet cables used to connect to the router were too long (25').

Does this make any sense to anyone here? What role does the network play in my getting something on my X1 to play on my TV? I thought these movies were on the X1, not on the network!

Anyway, after 2.5 hours the techs gave up and told me that I would be getting a call soon from Sony techs, who were giving my problem "expedited support". (Yeah, right.)

I suspect I just have a bad X1 and would like to see another one on my doorstep ASAP!!

Is anyone else who is successfully using their X1 connected to the network via a switch (i.e., not directly from a router)?

BTW, after the techs left I am unable to even view the menu on the X1. I go to HDML 4 on my TV but don't see anything -- is there an on/off button on the X1 I'm not seeing? I tried rebooting but no luck.
I have my XBR65-X900A and my FMP-X1 both connected to an ethernet switch that is connected to another switch that is connected to my router, and my TV and server work fine. The distance between the router and the switch connected directly to it is probably 40 feet.
love2lindy's Avatar love2lindy 05:22 PM 07-29-2013
Thanks for the information, which verifies to me that the Sony tech's concerns about the network configuration were unfounded. It sounds like I just have a bad X1.
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 06:01 PM 07-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2lindy View Post

Thanks for the information, which verifies to me that the Sony tech's concerns about the network configuration were unfounded. It sounds like I just have a bad X1.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully you'll be back on the ice soon.

SirPoon's Avatar SirPoon 09:25 PM 07-29-2013
Sorry to hear that love2lindy.

Did your x1 get an firmware update during the initial use? Perhaps the update messed up your box? try returning your box to your retailer...and switch for a new one and see....

I know my 65x900a does not play well when hardwired to my network switch...it always say that my internet connection is dropped when i play first 10 mins of Amazon video player, etc....which i now use wifi on tv and hardwire on x1.
flinchn's Avatar flinchn 09:09 AM 07-30-2013
I also have my TV and X1 hardwired into a switch. And its one of those switches that converts a wifi connection to my router to ethernet.
Sammy_R's Avatar Sammy_R 09:15 AM 07-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoon View Post

I know my 65x900a does not play well when hardwired to my network switch...it always say that my internet connection is dropped when i play first 10 mins of Amazon video player, etc....which i now use wifi on tv and hardwire on x1.

My 65X900a also droops internet when I hardwired to the Asus Router. But I can connect the TV to the router with WIFI without any problem.
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 09:38 AM 07-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_R View Post

My 65X900a also drops internet when I hardwired to the Asus Router. But I can connect the TV to the router with WIFI without any problem.

I take it you're not planning on adding the X1 anytime soon?

X1 and TV must be wired to internet for service.
Sammy_R's Avatar Sammy_R 10:11 AM 07-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

I take it you're not planning on adding the X1 anytime soon?

X1 and TV must be wired to internet for service.

I have a X1. It is hardwired to the Router and TV connected with WIFI. X1 is working fine.
Sammy_R's Avatar Sammy_R 10:38 AM 07-30-2013
Quote:

I have DirecTV Genie and its connected to a Denon Receiver. Receiver up convert signals to 1080P and my picture doesn't have robotic movements (I watch lot of F1 and and NASCAR races). Did you check the DirecTv receiver settings for Video? you also can check the front panel of DirecTV receiver to see whether what type of signal its passing to the TV.
jbug's Avatar jbug 11:08 AM 07-30-2013
Is the free "mastered in 4k" BD program still in effect for new set owners? If so how about a link.
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 12:09 PM 07-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Is the free "mastered in 4k" BD program still in effect for new set owners? If so how about a link.

The site is

www.sony.com/registermy4k

If you've already registered your TV with Sony, try doing it again with this link. Any problems, call 866-838-0421 and they will get you rolling.
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 12:09 PM 07-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_R View Post

I have a X1. It is hardwired to the Router and TV connected with WIFI. X1 is working fine.

Oh, that's interesting. The very "green" Sony tech who did my X1 on first day insisted it had to be wired at both ends.

Thanks for the "correct" info.
kbrod1's Avatar kbrod1 02:45 PM 07-30-2013
I have a Genie as well. I also have an Onkyo NR-5010 which can up convert to 4K. I had it set to 1080/24hz which as mentioned above could have been causing a problem. I changed it to just 1080p. So far so good. By the way I see no difference with the 4K up conversion on my set through my receiver or having the TV do it itself. The Onkyo uses HQV Vida and Marvell Qdeo for upscaling.
dreaux's Avatar dreaux 04:04 PM 07-30-2013
Quote:

I have a Genie as well. I also have an Onkyo NR-5010 which can up convert to 4K. I had it set to 1080/24hz which as mentioned above could have been causing a problem. I changed it to just 1080p. So far so good. By the way I see no difference with the 4K up conversion on my set through my receiver or having the TV do it itself. The Onkyo uses HQV Vida and Marvell Qdeo for upscaling.

I don;t think you will tell any difference. As well as the Onkyo 5010 up converts I would still bet on the Sony panel to do it instead.
love2lindy's Avatar love2lindy 07:25 PM 07-30-2013
A second long day wasted with Sony tech support trying to get my X1 to work. When I hadn't heard back from them as promised, I initiated the call and was told that I had to have my TV and X1 connected directly to my router with a SHORT ethernet cable (the cable provided with the X1 kit). And that the router needed to be a newer one with the latest firmware.

So I went out and bought a brand new router, made sure the firmware was current, and reconfigured things so that the TV/X1 connected directly to the router (short cable). Same problems with the X1 continually rebooting.

I then spent a frustrating 3-4 hours on the phone with different tech support people who asked me to jump through repeated (inane) tasks of unplugging and replugging in the router, TV, and X1 (in various different sequences), with and without network connected, and with & without HDMI4 connected. Throughout the conversation I was put on hold numerous times while someone or something else was consulted. At one point the conversation went like this:
  • Sony: Plug in the X1 and tell me what lights you see.
  • Me (after a full 2 minutes of watching): I don't see ANY lights.
  • Sony: Do you see any red lights?
  • Me: No, I don't see any red lights. I don't see ANY lights.
  • Sony: Do you see any white lights?
  • Me: NO, I DON'T SEE ANY RED OR WHITE LIGHTS. I DON'T SEE ANY LIGHTS!

and so on. It was an unbelievable waste of time.

Finally, after the 2 tech guys spent 2-3 hours yesterday and after I spent 3-4 hours on the phone with them today, Sony determined that my X1 box likely needed to be replaced (duh!) and I was told that they'd call me back before 7pm to get my credit card information (so that they could send me a new one before I sent back the broken one).

When they called me back, Sony again put me on hold numerous times throughout the process of my giving them my credit card number, making what should have been a 30 second call into a 10 minute call.

I cannot believe that my "reward" for buying a Sony TV for $7K plus the media player was to have to endure hours and hours of testing (aka torture) before Sony would admit that my media player might have some problems.

Now, here's the kicker. I went to dinner leaving the TV on (set to HDMI-4) as well as the media player. When I left, the media player was doing its usual cycle of boot, reboot, reboot, etc.. But when I returned from dinner, the X1 menu was finally showing continuously (without rebooting) and I was able just now to start playing a movie without the dang thing rebooting again. (Note that right now the X1 is NOT connected directly to the router -- instead going through 2 switches and some 75 feet of cable). Sheez! I don't trust this X1 so will definitely replace it with the new one when it arrives.
m2loco's Avatar m2loco 08:53 PM 07-30-2013
Getting my 65 tomorrow can't wait. I hope i'm not jumping the gun with the other 4ks coming out in august. I only had 30 days to decide because my sharp elite finally crashed with the damn remote sensor so sharp and Best Buy are offering me a full refund. So I have a couple of questions. Question 1 is for elite owners, will I notice a big difference in black levels as well as picture quality and 2 do you think the ss and lg 4ks are going to be better. I wish we knew if 4k elites where coming out I would return my Sony and hold on to my instore credit.
dreaux's Avatar dreaux 09:06 PM 07-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2loco View Post

Getting my 65 tomorrow can't wait. I hope i'm not jumping the gun with the other 4ks coming out in august. I only had 30 days to decide because my sharp elite finally crashed with the damn remote sensor so sharp and Best Buy are offering me a full refund. So I have a couple of questions. Question 1 is for elite owners, will I notice a big difference in black levels as well as picture quality and 2 do you think the ss and lg 4ks are going to be better. I wish we knew if 4k elites where coming out I would return my Sony and hold on to my instore credit.

Having been an Sharp Elite owner I think it will be hard to find a unit that has better blacks. Sharp is coming out with a 4K THX certified 70" display which should be worth looking at.
However the Sony 65" is an excellent set, I think you will be very happy with it.
m2loco's Avatar m2loco 09:56 PM 07-30-2013
i hope so I wish it wouldn't of broke until next year. I don't feel like I'm buying a flag ship just paying for 4k and no fald. To bad they didn't let me keep it so i could of gave it a proper burial. R.I.P to my sharp elite. I spent more time with her then my wife
kbrod1's Avatar kbrod1 10:27 PM 07-30-2013
That's funny! I could say the same thing with my old set.
sony 55 inch 4k's Avatar sony 55 inch 4k 12:34 AM 07-31-2013
Anyone know anything about the Sony pop-fmpa1 4k content server? I bought one on eBay and will be attempting to connect it to my xbr55x900a... That way I hope to have two servers up and running the other is the fmpx1 which works great.
JlgLaw's Avatar JlgLaw 05:42 AM 07-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony 55 inch 4k View Post

Anyone know anything about the Sony pop-fmpa1 4k content server? I bought one on eBay and will be attempting to connect it to my xbr55x900a... That way I hope to have two servers up and running the other is the fmpx1 which works great.

Doesn't this just duplicate what the X1 is doing (but in an ugly looking box)?

Also, not saying it isn't, but if this were meant to be an actual retail piece why hasn't it been marketed in the usual way? With all of the European 4K owner's being upset about the lack of X1 availability, you'd think this would have been announced in a big way.

Jim
dreaux's Avatar dreaux 07:27 AM 07-31-2013
dreaux's Avatar dreaux 07:31 AM 07-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2loco View Post

i hope so I wish it wouldn't of broke until next year. I don't feel like I'm buying a flag ship just paying for 4k and no fald. To bad they didn't let me keep it so i could of gave it a proper burial. R.I.P to my sharp elite. I spent more time with her then my wife

I hear you, I really loved mine.
Tags: Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop