Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 310 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9271 of 12387 Old 05-30-2014, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
After watching Spiderman all I can say is...I love this tv.
RiED27880 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 12387 Old 05-30-2014, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I received some very interesting news from a Sony Canada tech resource just today. A memo that was just published today... said that although the FMP-X10 would not be made publicly available in Canada, Sony will sell them offline to owners of their 1st generation 4K TV's for a discounted price. Sometime in the late summer. They will also be providing an in-home hardware update for HDMI 2.0 on older sets.
nishant786 likes this.
post #9273 of 12387 Old 05-30-2014, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthenry View Post

I received some very interesting news from a Sony Canada tech resource just today. A memo that was just published today... said that although the FMP-X10 would not be made publicly available in Canada, Sony will sell them offline to owners of their 1st generation 4K TV's for a discounted price. Sometime in the late summer. They will also be providing an in-home hardware update for HDMI 2.0 on older sets.

Theres one thing i dont understand and i may be wrong. Isnt atleast one hdmi on our sets a "hdmi 2.0" after the upgrade? The same exact way as the 2014 sets. Am i wrong?
So if im right, wont even the 2014 sets require an update to this hdmi too?

Or could just be the same "hdmi 2.0 upgrade" as the us owners got last summer (ie hdcp)
post #9274 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by halon View Post

I was watching The Amazing Siderman 3D and something was crawling on the screen. When I got up to the screen I see it is a carpentar ant, so I have the problem to take care of now. Anyways. I go to brush it off the screen but everytime I tried to brush it away I discoverd my hand wasn't even near the screen. Everytime I would move it a little closer I thought for sure I was there.

Pointless story, just thought it was cool.

You are insane
post #9275 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by halon View Post

I was watching The Amazing Siderman 3D and something was crawling on the screen. When I got up to the screen I see it is a carpentar ant, so I have the problem to take care of now. Anyways. I go to brush it off the screen but everytime I tried to brush it away I discoverd my hand wasn't even near the screen. Everytime I would move it a little closer I thought for sure I was there.

Pointless story, just thought it was cool.
Sounds like you were caught in spiderman's web
smile.gif
post #9276 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Is it true there is no electronic programming guide for OTA broadcast at all on the x900a? I know there is a smaller market for that, but the european version has one, so why not just keep that in the US version too? Are they trying to force people to use the clunkier sideview app instead? What was the last sony set that still has a functioning program guide? I know the OTA tv guide versions are dead now, but I thought they were still supplying it over the internet for some sets.

Does the 900B have one?
post #9277 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Has anyone else noticed a 10 second load time on the initial load of the youtube app since the latest firmware upgrade?
Seems like I had 2 birthdays while i waited tongue.gif
nishant786 likes this.
post #9278 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post

Theres one thing i dont understand and i may be wrong. Isnt atleast one hdmi on our sets a "hdmi 2.0" after the upgrade? The same exact way as the 2014 sets. Am i wrong?

Or could just be the same "hdmi 2.0 upgrade" as the us owners got last summer (ie hdcp)
From what I understand older sets manufactured before July 2013 or so will need a circuit board swap on their HDMI 4 input. So yes, it does appear to be the same as the USA models had done.
nishant786 likes this.
post #9279 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post

It has been reported a number of times that all HDMI inputs are HDMI 2.0 capable after the firmware update late last year. I believe the confusion is once again between HDCP, which is a content-protection algorithm, and HDMI 2.0, which is a through-put enhancement. Certain older sets may still require the HDCP upgrade on HDMI4 in order to be able to receive the 4K streaming coming with the new X10 player.
nishant786 likes this.
post #9280 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

yes, you're right..i'm "sure" of it wink.gif but don't take my word for it, buy one (or a B) and see for yoursel. lol
"Sony assembled four TVs for a comparison which included the 65-inch Panasonic ZT60, the 65-inch Sony X950B, the 65-inch Samsung UH9000 and the 55-inch X900B.

Compared against the Samsung HU9000 specifically, the X950B had better blacks and shadow detail" - cnet 5/6/14

Sony is using the X950b sets in their own comparisons with cnet against the Sammy I've been talking about. This is why I have said when you say the x900a beats the sammy in every way it's delusional. Even Sony is using a better set to beat it.

I also think the x900b is better. Just because of motion. But not overall picture.

Yes I prefer not to have the curve. But I also don't care.

I still am getting the x900b. But I just think you speak of things you don't know.

My yeah sure was just that.

Yeah sure.
post #9281 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post

Has anyone else noticed a 10 second load time on the initial load of the youtube app since the latest firmware upgrade?
Seems like I had 2 birthdays while i waited tongue.gif

Yes yes yes! phew! thought I was the only one.
Oh well atleast they cant write the standard "internet content enhancements" in the changelog again. tongue.gif
post #9282 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

It has been reported a number of times that all HDMI inputs are HDMI 2.0 capable after the firmware update late last year. I believe the confusion is once again between HDCP, which is a content-protection algorithm, and HDMI 2.0, which is a through-put enhancement. Certain older sets may still require the HDCP upgrade on HDMI4 in order to be able to receive the 4K streaming coming with the new X10 player.

Are you saying after the firmware upgrade all the HDMI's on my 2013 set are HDMI 2 capable? I must have misunderstood what I had read that only one HDMI is HDMI 2. Perhaps I was thinking of the HDCP upgrade they did at my house, since that is only one HDMI port.
That's good to hear.
post #9283 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Are you saying after the firmware upgrade all the HDMI's on my 2013 set are HDMI 2 capable? I must have misunderstood what I had read that only one HDMI is HDMI 2. Perhaps I was thinking of the HDCP upgrade they did at my house, since that is only one HDMI port.
That's good to hear.

Correct. The update made them all 2.0 and hdmi 4 2.0 HDCP 2.2. Only people who bought a tv in the first week or two of production needed their board replaced to add the HDCP 2.2 feature.
post #9284 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ4life View Post

Unless the pressure you were applying was far above the norm, I don't think you cleaning had anything at all to do with blotchiness, or clouding as the technical term is known. This is just one of the side effects of having an edge lit panel as opposed to a back lit system. Settings can REALLY reduce the effect. Using AustinJerry's settings, I've managed to make clouding and light bleed from the sides be an almost non-issue. Granted, my set had very minimal clouding to begin with, but the light bleed on the sides has gotten a lot better.I only get it now with low quality content, or extremely difficult scenes for the TV to recreate.
I'm more interested in eliminating or cutting down on spots that are brighter during bright scenes and less bothered by clouding during black screens. I also don't want to make lots of adjustments. Just which features or settings most affect what bothers me. Is backlighting the one to look at?
post #9285 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cminer72 View Post

I'm more interested in eliminating or cutting down on spots that are brighter during bright scenes and less bothered by clouding during black screens. I also don't want to make lots of adjustments. Just which features or settings most affect what bothers me. Is backlighting the one to look at?
LED Dynamic control in the advanced settings - from off to low/ standard (this is the local dimming of the set, helps a lot)
-Brightness (a lot of people have had really good luck setting it to 49 or 50)
-Backlight (Around 7)

Those should help your issues some.
post #9286 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ4life View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
LED Dynamic control in the advanced settings - from off to low/ standard (this is the local dimming of the set, helps a lot)
-Brightness (a lot of people have had really good luck setting it to 49 or 50)
-Backlight (Around 7)

Those should help your issues some.
Thanks for the tips. I will try this. Otherwise, I think it's a great tv. Biggest one I've ever owned and love the passive 3d. The issue bothers me more than it does my wife, so it's obviously not terrible.
post #9287 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthenry View Post

Selling the media player to people IN CANADA offline at a lower price? If that's true that's great news for sure. And the in hardware upgrade, is that simply to support the media player? As far as I've been made aware, we already have HDMI 2.0. smile.gif
post #9288 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 09:57 AM

Yes that is what I understand that the hardware update (circuit board swap) on the older sets, is to allow the media player to connect and work properly.
post #9289 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post

"Sony assembled four TVs for a comparison which included the 65-inch Panasonic ZT60, the 65-inch Sony X950B, the 65-inch Samsung UH9000 and the 55-inch X900B.

Compared against the Samsung HU9000 specifically, the X950B had better blacks and shadow detail" - cnet 5/6/14

Sony is using the X950b sets in their own comparisons with cnet against the Sammy I've been talking about. This is why I have said when you say the x900a beats the sammy in every way it's delusional. Even Sony is using a better set to beat it.

I also think the x900b is better. Just because of motion. But not overall picture.

I still am getting the x900b. But I just think you speak of things you don't know.

Yeah sure.

I can't tell you how discouraging it is to come visit my thread (Yes, I own an XBR-65900A, this is my place to discuss and share) and continue hearing pointless he said/she said, the "B" does this, the 950 supposedly that, what about Panny, Samsung pointless banter.... I COULD CARE LESS, as could everyone else (technically I can't speak for everyone else, I know) that owns an "A" If I wanted to read about comparisons between models other than my own and discuss them, would it not behoove me to go the the said model/manufacturer threads and discuss them there? How about the "General" discussion thread? Again, people here bought their XBR-X900A's for a reason, THEY LOVE THE PQ, THE AUDIO, THE CURRENT PRICE POINT, THE SET AS A WHOLE!!! Why is it necessary for people who don't even own one to continually detract from the purpose of this thread by comparing it to other model's? Here's a clue, this set has the best picture (in my eye's) of any set I've ever owned, the 4K PQ even that of my Kuro...I could have returned the A for a B model, no questions asked, but did not... Why?, because I love my 900A for other reasons that are my own, not monetarily driven, thus not debatable as everyone is different and I shouldn't have to defend what I perceive as the "right" choice for me ....You'll find I have not one post in the 900B thread, why? again I don't own one....So I'm still vexed as to why it's necessary for people to jump in from time to time about other models (particularly the "B") ?? If I'm looking for advice and actively shopping so be it, ask away about the 900A..but if I'm here just to chime in about how my model "X" does this and model "Y" does not, you're just cluttering up the 900A's OWNERS thread. That's my $0.02, carry on... lol tongue.gif This isn't directed specifically at you MrOrange, just quoted you..... smile.gif
post #9290 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

Yeah sure.

and i also believe you are trying too hard to justify why it is you believe samsung has the tv to beat for 2014, or the best picture quality in comparison to the sony X9, which is in its own way "dilusional". The curve is a gimmick,I dont care if the picture is brighter. Samsung usually makes their sets that way in order to make their sets pop in the store. Turn off all the picture enhancers and you wont get a better Upscaler. Seen it myself. Get the HU9000 if you think its that great, its your money and you can do what you wish. But why troll on the x900a thread just to brag about how much better the samsung is or the X9B?? to each his own i guess.
wase4711 and nishant786 like this.
post #9291 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
this is why most of the "early" owners of this set have abandoned this thread; couldnt agree with EVERY one of your points more...

if you want to discuss the other models or other TV's, go into those threads and do it there...geesh, no one has a clue about decorum or how to actually use an internet board????
RiED27880 likes this.
post #9292 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post

I can't tell you how discouraging it is to come visit my thread (Yes, I own an XBR-65900A, this is my place to discuss and share) and continue hearing pointless he said/she said, the "B" does this, the 950 supposedly that, what about Panny, Samsung pointless banter.... I COULD CARE LESS, as could everyone else (technically I can't speak for everyone else, I know) that owns an "A" If I wanted to read about comparisons between models other than my own and discuss them, would it not behoove me to go the the said model/manufacturer threads and discuss them there? How about the "General" discussion thread? Again, people here bought their XBR-X900A's for a reason, THEY LOVE THE PQ, THE AUDIO, THE CURRENT PRICE POINT, THE SET AS A WHOLE!!! Why is it necessary for people who don't even own one to continually detract from the purpose of this thread by comparing it to other model's? Here's a clue, this set has the best picture (in my eye's) of any set I've ever owned, the 4K PQ even that of my Kuro...I could have returned the A for a B model, no questions asked, but did not... Why?, because I love my 900A for other reasons that are my own, not monetarily driven, thus not debatable as everyone is different and I shouldn't have to defend what I perceive as the "right" choice for me ....You'll find I have not one post in the 900B thread, why? again I don't own one....So I'm still vexed as to why it's necessary for people to jump in from time to time about other models (particularly the "B") ?? If I'm looking for advice and actively shopping so be it, ask away about the 900A..but if I'm here just to chime in about how my model "X" does this and model "Y" does not, you're just cluttering up the 900A's OWNERS thread. That's my $0.02, carry on... lol tongue.gif This isn't directed specifically at you MrOrange, just quoted you..... smile.gif
well people buying TV's would go where the people know what they are talking about. We have not purchased it yet. But we should be able to ask about your experience with the set. This should not be an owners only club. Just my thoughts. The reason this got out of hand was the Sammy could be had for the same price as the A. If you as an owner had the chance to buy again today what would you get.
There was a couple owners who didn't even consider the question. They just immediately went into sammy sucks yada yada.

I just needed honest help. That's all. I got it later but the couple people who didn't really conservative my question kept getting upset I was asking about a sammy in the sony forum.

Again I was asking owners who have one and seen the Sammy I'd they felt since both were the same price that they would go with the A again.

People in the x900b helped out a lot as well.
Carlos_E likes this.
post #9293 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and i also believe you are trying too hard to justify why it is you believe samsung has the tv to beat for 2014, or the best picture quality in comparison to the sony X9, which is in its own way "dilusional". The curve is a gimmick,I dont care if the picture is brighter. Samsung usually makes their sets that way in order to make their sets pop in the store. Turn off all the picture enhancers and you wont get a better Upscaler. Seen it myself. Get the HU9000 if you think its that great, its your money and you can do what you wish. But why troll on the x900a thread just to brag about how much better the samsung is or the X9B?? to each his own i guess.
sony did the comparison? Why don't you read before you post.
post #9294 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

this is why most of the "early" owners of this set have abandoned this thread; couldnt agree with EVERY one of your points more...

if you want to discuss the other models or other TV's, go into those threads and do it there...geesh, no one has a clue about decorum or how to actually use an internet board????
more bs.carlos and a few other owners are re only helpful people in this forum who actually reads. Thank god he got the x900b also because the owners here just spew bs. I ask a simple question and I'm attacked for a sony comparison? That's the issue here.
Carlos_E likes this.
post #9295 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:

sony did the comparison? Why don't you read before you post.
dude, get over it, we get it. you are a samsung fanboy.
post #9296 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

well people buying TV's would go where the people know what they are talking about. We have not purchased it yet. But we should be able to ask about your experience with the set. This should not be an owners only club. Just my thoughts. The reason this got out of hand was the Sammy could be had for the same price as the A. If you as an owner had the chance to buy again today what would you get.
There was a couple owners who didn't even consider the question. They just immediately went into sammy sucks yada yada.

I just needed honest help. That's all. I got it later but the couple people who didn't really conservative my question kept getting upset I was asking about a sammy in the sony forum.

Again I was asking owners who have one and seen the Sammy I'd they felt since both were the same price that they would go with the A again.

People in the x900b helped out a lot as well.

I understand, but what you're looking for is people to admit they made a mistake...You know how that goes smile.gif I can tell you I don't regret going with the 900A one bit, It was getting tough because I was also considering the Samsung plasma you're referring to (I think anyway the U8500 or 9000 I think ?)...Both have excellent PQ...To be honest the reason I went with the Sony was 4K (mainly) and the rest is pretty objective... But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone see's things differently regardless of what you have printed on a piece of paper regarding contrast ratio's/ black levels/Gamma/Calibration reports etc.... Just go with what makes you happy and then dig in and defend it like your favorite sports team !! lol tongue.gif
post #9297 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post

I understand, but what you're looking for is people to admit they made a mistake...You know how that goes smile.gif I can tell you I don't regret going with the 900A one bit, It was getting tough because I was also considering the Samsung plasma you're referring to (I think anyway the U8500 or 9000 I think ?)...Both have excellent PQ...To be honest the reason I went with the Sony was 4K (mainly) and the rest is pretty objective... But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone see's things differently regardless of what you have printed on a piece of paper regarding contrast ratio's/ black levels/Gamma/Calibration reports etc.... Just go with what makes you happy and then dig in and defend it like your favorite sports team !! lol tongue.gif
so you would buy the A again. It pretty much done you well.
post #9298 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

dude, get over it, we get it. you are a samsung fanboy.
Reid you already know your ignorant. Don't post to me man. Your the Sony fan boy I was talking about. Lack of knowledge but answers all the questions. I asked you what was better about the A after your EXTENSIVE comparison of the hu9000. Then you said oops I never seen the hu9000. I Meant THE HU8550. Who cares? How did the damn A compare? Thankfully the boys in the x900b forum had the answers.

The x900b although active 3d is the set I need.

I got my answer. It's a sony. You didn't help at all. You shouldn't help people. Your just not good at it.
post #9299 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 11:27 AM

Dropping the whole "my set is better than yours" B.S subject, did anyone see any difference in performance after the latest firmware? youtube is slow to load indeed, but netflix looks amazing! I noticed the picture is a bit brighter, but nothing else, could that be even possible?
post #9300 of 12387 Old 05-31-2014, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Reid you already know your ignorant. Don't post to me man. Your the Sony fan boy I was talking about. Lack of knowledge but answers all the questions. I asked you what was better about the A after your EXTENSIVE comparison of the hu9000. Then you said oops I never seen the hu9000. I Meant THE HU8550. Who cares? How did the damn A compare? Thankfully the boys in the x900b forum had the answers.

The x900b although active 3d is the set I need.

I got my answer. It's a sony.

On most internet boards, "comparison" threads are rarely allowed, since they end up starting non sense arguments that people like you continue to perpetuate; you want to know about the "b" set? Go to that thread and ask there..

Of course people posting in this thread will be "a" set fanboys; thats the tv we choose with our own brains, and we come here to discuss THE 900A, NOT compare them to other models and other brands; if you dont get that, or understand that, then thats on you..

Folks like you and some others who continue to argue and insult the 900 A "fanboys, like myself, are the reason most of us don't post here any more..

Now, time to delete my notifications for this thread permanently, so I dont have to read the "off topic" rantings of folks like you..
RiED27880 likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page