Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 319 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9541 of 12587 Old 06-06-2014, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just picked up my FMP-X1 from BB that was included free with my TV purchase but was back ordered. Setup was a breeze, I connected HDMI1 from the X1 to HDMI4 on TV and HDMI2 from X1 to my Marantz receiver. The audio drops out at the start of a video but then plays fine. I think I also noticed a slight audio sync issue. Audio through the TV's speakers is perfect. Real 4K on my X900A is simply awesome especially with AustinJerry's settings. I may end up selling it on eBay when the FMP-X10 is released. I didn't think 4K would look this great but it does!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 12587 Old 06-06-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 902
The audio dropouts when using HDMI2 are typical. Sony support tells me it is due to an incompatibility between the X1 and Denon receivers, and Sony expects Denon to fix the issue. Marantz and Denon are essentially the same underlying platforms. Workaround is to use HDMI1 from the player through the TV, and then from the TV back to the AVR. You lose the advanced audio codecs, but PLII Cinema sounds good enough to me, given the lack of content on the X1 anyway.

Good luck selling yours. I have had mine listed for several weeks, and not a single inquiry.
Reyfam likes this.
post #9543 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Has anyone tried using the in-built browser to watch youtube in 4K? Does that work? I really want this TV but want something to play on it in 4K... :(

post #9544 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachpie View Post

Has anyone tried using the in-built browser to watch youtube in 4K? Does that work? I really want this TV but want something to play on it in 4K... frown.gif

Yes - watching a 4k youtube video through the built in app is impressive - however it is not true 4K.
The TV upscales everything displayed to 4K but in this case the youtube video goes from shot in 4k downgraded to 1080p (probably) then upgraded to 4k by the TV to be displayed.
You can use a computer with 4k downloader (free software) and connect that to the TV to play youtube 4K without a signal downgrade. I have not tried that yet though - it is on my to do list

If i was buying a TV today i would get the 900B - it has the built in chip to stream netflix 4k - not sure about youtube 4K since that is a different codec (VP9) but I assume it has that as well.
The new 4k media player is the sony solution for the 900a - for 500 additional dollars of course
smile.gif
post #9545 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post

Yes - watching a 4k youtube video through the built in app is impressive - however it is not true 4K.
The TV upscales everything displayed to 4K but in this case the youtube video goes from shot in 4k downgraded to 1080p (probably) then upgraded to 4k by the TV to be displayed.
You can use a computer with 4k downloader (free software) and connect that to the TV to play youtube 4K without a signal downgrade. I have not tried that yet though - it is on my to do list

If i was buying a TV today i would get the 900B - it has the built in chip to stream netflix 4k - not sure about youtube 4K since that is a different codec (VP9) but I assume it has that as well.
The new 4k media player is the sony solution for the 900a - for 500 additional dollars of course
smile.gif

Only netflix, not YouTube. No tv has the codec YouTube uses.
post #9546 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

Has anyone tried using the in-built browser to watch youtube in 4K? Does that work? I really want this TV but want something to play on it in 4K... frown.gif

The 65x900A I have now is great. Personally unless you sit real close, I do not believe there can be a big benefit in 4k source material on this size screen. For blu ray and even Dish Network, at 1025 upscaled the picture is really good. Even the upscale from 480 is good. The blacks to me rival an OLED set. The bars on edges for normal definition sources as well as the bars on top and bottom for 2.35:1 material almost match the black of the frame. Tough to see the boundary between the black on screen and the jet black of the speaker columns. I also considered the Samsung 8500 plasma but was afraid of getting burnt again with plasma technology maybe going to the wayside like my Mits Lasarvue did, as well as the potential for burn in of an image on the screen from steady station info on the bottom of some station images. From the non plasma sets, I liked this Sony the best among those I saw. The Sharp Quatroo looked pretty good but again a slightly different technology wtth the extra color frightened me. The 900 B was no where to be seen but may have advantages in the 4 k realm. My internet is too slow to stream 4 k anyway. I have to wait and hope that blu ray or another disk will let me get 4 k sources. Even then I will want a 4k projector for a bigger picture, especially on 2.35:1 movie format. For now, the upscale will have to do for me.

Bill Shenefelt
http://sheneskillies.com
william.shenefelt@verizon.net
post #9547 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post

smile.gif

But I'm thinking specifically about the internet browser on the TV (selecting 4K in the video setting icon) and not the YouTube app (unless you were talking about the browser and I misunderstood). 

post #9548 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:

But I'm thinking specifically about the internet browser on the TV (selecting 4K in the video setting icon) and not the YouTube app (unless you were talking about the browser and I misunderstood). 

The chip to read 4k is not in the TV regardless of how you try to stream videos.
It was created AFTER the 900a was developed
post #9549 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 07:14 AM

Ah I see. **** there's a lot to understand before heading in to buying a 4k set
post #9550 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:

Ah I see. **** there's a lot to understand before heading in to buying a 4k set

Yes - its not easy going boldly where no man has gone before cool.gif
post #9551 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyfam View Post

Just picked up my FMP-X1 from BB that was included free with my TV purchase but was back ordered. Setup was a breeze, I connected HDMI1 from the X1 to HDMI4 on TV and HDMI2 from X1 to my Marantz receiver. The audio drops out at the start of a video but then plays fine. I think I also noticed a slight audio sync issue. Audio through the TV's speakers is perfect. Real 4K on my X900A is simply awesome especially with AustinJerry's settings. I may end up selling it on eBay when the FMP-X10 is released. I didn't think 4K would look this great but it does!!!

For me, I've found to avoid the audio issues I just use HDMI 1 out of the X1, run the optical out from the TV to my SC-27 and adjust accordingly ....No audio or sync issues...and yes 4K is amazing to watch!!smile.gif
Reyfam likes this.
post #9552 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if you can connect a wired sub and still use the internal speakers? Or does it just disable them?
post #9553 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 01:10 PM

As I understand it reading on the forum, despite the info on the 600B referencing an output for a headphone or external amp or subwoofer amp and the 600 A literature having no such reference in their literature, use of the headphone output is the same on either model. I found no mention of subwoofer attachment on any of the material I received with my 600A. I would guess with a lot of certainty that use of an external subwoofer would require it's own crossover and amp unless fed by a receiver with a sub output. Depending upon the input type of the subwoofer, it may or may not work with the controlled level output of the TV. The output from the headphone jack can be volume controlled with the TV volume control indicating to me that it is also with internal speakers on and controlled by the TV volume control. You would be best to be sure that the sub you get will mate up with what the sony output offers. I have no idea as to what the TV bass rolloff looks like to match up a sub crossover point or phase. The volume or detachment from volume control is available on the 600A settings per my information on my 600A. I really do not understand why Sony needs to be so cryptic in their manual for the 600A. Knowing Sony though, they only want you to use Sony products and typically do what they can to assure that you do.

Bill Shenefelt
post #9554 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post

As I understand it reading on the forum, despite the info on the 600B referencing an output for a headphone or external amp or subwoofer amp and the 600 A literature having no such reference in their literature, use of the headphone output is the same on either model. I found no mention of subwoofer attachment on any of the material I received with my 600A. I would guess with a lot of certainty that use of an external subwoofer would require it's own crossover and amp unless fed by a receiver with a sub output. Depending upon the input type of the subwoofer, it may or may not work with the controlled level output of the TV. The output from the headphone jack can be volume controlled with the TV volume control indicating to me that it is also with internal speakers on and controlled by the TV volume control. You would be best to be sure that the sub you get will mate up with what the sony output offers. I have no idea as to what the TV bass rolloff looks like to match up a sub crossover point or phase. The volume or detachment from volume control is available on the 600A settings per my information on my 600A. I really do not understand why Sony needs to be so cryptic in their manual for the 600A. Knowing Sony though, they only want you to use Sony products and typically do what they can to assure that you do.

I may just pick up the Sony one meant for the 900b and see if it works.
post #9555 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post

I may just pick up the Sony one meant for the 900b and see if it works.

Probably your safest bet. If it has specs that are real, you might afterwords look around to see if another is more to your liking that has the same capabilities.

Bill Shenefelt
post #9556 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 141
was i the only one who used ARC from hdmi1 to get surround sound for my X1 with out a single issue? It sounded pretty darn well to me. I know it decreased the quality of the sound a bit, but it was still ok. i dont have the x1 anymore, but can anyone with more audio experience tell me the difference of using arc and hdmi 2 for audio? I did try using hdmi 2 and at the time, it did not work for me either. glad i sold it when i did though.
post #9557 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

was i the only one who used ARC from hdmi1 to get surround sound for my X1 with out a single issue? It sounded pretty darn well to me. I know it decreased the quality of the sound a bit, but it was still ok. i dont have the x1 anymore, but can anyone with more audio experience tell me the difference of using arc and hdmi 2 for audio? I did try using hdmi 2 and at the time, it did not work for me either. glad i sold it when i did though.

Due to some limitation (perhaps HDCP), using ARC limits the sound to 2-channel, which can be played as PLII Cinema.  Using HDMI2 directly to the AVR allows for the advanced audio codecs (DTS HD MSTR, Dolby TrueHD).

Normally, when using ARC, or a Toslink connection to the AVR, if you set the Sony to use external speakers, you get DD51. over the audio connection.  However, when you fire up the X1, it switches the audio to TV speakers for some reason, and this limits the sound to stereo.  It is truly screwed up.

RiED27880 likes this.
post #9558 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Anyone know where I can get pictures to see 4K (alpha potos) in my X900 thanks

post #9559 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Due to some limitation (perhaps HDCP), using ARC limits the sound to 2-channel, which can be played as PLII Cinema.  Using HDMI2 directly to the AVR allows for the advanced audio codecs (DTS HD MSTR, Dolby TrueHD).

Normally, when using ARC, or a Toslink connection to the AVR, if you set the Sony to use external speakers, you get DD51. over the audio connection.  However, when you fire up the X1, it switches the audio to TV speakers for some reason, and this limits the sound to stereo.  It is truly screwed up.
wow, i did not know that Jerry, thanks for clarifying that. smile.gif i hope they fix all that on the X10 so we can experience real 4k sound along with breath taking 4k PQ.
post #9560 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

I have the same experience - but I'm confused whether we are getting TrueHD, etc instead of DD 5.1. My receiver shows PCM 2.0 if I go the HDMI1 -> toslink -> AVR route. It shows 5.1 pcm through HDMI2 when it is working. (Pulling HDMI1 cable out of the TV and putting it back in)
post #9561 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

wow, i did not know that Jerry, thanks for clarifying that. smile.gif i hope they fix all that on the X10 so we can experience real 4k sound along with breath taking 4k PQ.

Are you planning on getting the x10 when it comes out or will you wait a while ?
The pricing on the 900a and the x1 player did not follow the normal Sony pricing strategy.
It seemed to drop in price every couple of months or so - then the x1 was free for a while at xmas.
Love the 900a but not the 5,000 price i paid for it on sept 1 and i have never seen 4k on it at home.
The media player would have been another 500 - glad i didn't buy that at least biggrin.gif
post #9562 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12 View Post

Surely the Minix X8-H with 4k Xbmc is a better buy isn't it?

Some youtube stuff on here, seems to play smooth 4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrHHQVNnXoU&feature=em-subs_digest
post #9563 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

I have the same experience - but I'm confused whether we are getting TrueHD, etc instead of DD 5.1. My receiver shows PCM 2.0 if I go the HDMI1 -> toslink -> AVR route. It shows 5.1 pcm through HDMI2 when it is working. (Pulling HDMI1 cable out of the TV and putting it back in)

I also think their is some sound restriction with HDMI in to toslink out, which is giving us 2.0 PCM no matter what- this is going to be how it is. Only the TV originated content can put out 5.1 DD through toslink/optical. Netflix, Amazon and DLNA all successfully do this on my setup.

HDMI2 to AVR is the only way to achieve 5.1 PCM ...and it's bugged. This is not limited to AVR makes/models that I have seen. I have an Onkyo 818.
post #9564 of 12587 Old 06-07-2014, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Kind of a future question: the Snapdragon 805 chip set that will be built into a lot of the high end phones at the end of this year supports 4K output to an external display while providing a hardware solution for HEVC and maybe even VP9. Sounds like this could be the perfect way to play all that 4K content of the future, but I have one concern. It makes no mention of using MHL 3.0 anywhere for that, which gets me excited because the 900A doesn't support MHL 3.0. So how would it do it? Would they have a micro HDMI or something, or are they simply withholding the fact that its MHL 3.0? Does anyone know?
post #9565 of 12587 Old 06-08-2014, 04:52 AM

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ4life View Post

Kind of a future question: the Snapdragon 805 chip set that will be built into a lot of the high end phones at the end of this year supports 4K output to an external display while providing a hardware solution for HEVC and maybe even VP9. Sounds like this could be the perfect way to play all that 4K content of the future, but I have one concern. It makes no mention of using MHL 3.0 anywhere for that, which gets me excited because the 900A doesn't support MHL 3.0. So how would it do it? Would they have a micro HDMI or something, or are they simply withholding the fact that its MHL 3.0? Does anyone know?

Looking at that myself. I have a sony z2 and have ordered the cable, lets see what the lack of mhl 3.0 does. If i can atleast output 4k then we would be set. Will know for sure in a few days.
post #9566 of 12587 Old 06-08-2014, 05:46 AM

Ok, I bought the 900A and not the X1 (my download speed is 2.7 mbs). I did it well knowing that I could not stream or really do much of a job at downloading 4K on my DSL speed modem at least for the foreseeable future. However, what are the prospects for a 4K video source, be it a converter for the TV which apparently without an X1 or maybe X10 cannot receive or understand 4K. There are no players other than Sony one that wants the material downloaded not hard copy purchased. Will I ever be able to see 4K on my 600A? Like maybe a future Oppo with dual layer blue rays feeding thru (surely a Sony proprietary) box to pass on the signal in a form the 900A can understand. The Sharp Quatro (dealers) have at least a little memory stick that contains their promotional video. Doesn't Sony have something similar that would plug into the 900A other than a $500 unit that has a few movies on it but I would be limited to watching those since I cannot download a movie in my remaining lifespan. How big in Gb is the size of a 2 hour movie in 4K? A 90 minute HD movie takes 3 hrs at my speed and a football game would take over 7 hours! Maybe an overnight download would do it, ha? Could do it maybe but what if it corrupts due to the slow speed like we used to have happen with non dsl modem speed.

Oh, I received my replacement 600A and the screen does not put out a strong blue cloud in the lower left quadrant now. On a white screen there is a little gray clouding (like blotchyness) but it really is not that offensive since there are no strong transitions. I don't think I can even see it in a normal picture like I did the blue lower quadrant on the old set. It does show a little on the solid red "netflix" entry page. The labels on the back show the set I returned was built in Japan over a year ago and this replacement built in Mexico last March. It still did show 2013 as the year in startup though and did load a new software download to PKG4.421AAA. The Sony service was very good.
Also just ordered a Darbee on line at an excellent price from Cleveland plasma. Mainly got it for my Epson 6010 Front Projector. It could use a little picture tweaking compared to the Sony 600A. I found someone referencing the Epson 6010 using a Darbee on one of the forums, successfully I guess. He made no complaints. The seller said I could return it for a refund if it did not work. I could not find enough info on real differences to warrant waiting for the next model of the Darbee stand alone coming out later this year I think. The current model is not as "classy looking" as the new model which will sport a metal rack style chassis but I do not have a spot for that in my cabinet anyway.

Bill Shenefelt
post #9567 of 12587 Old 06-08-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Maybe someone knows the answer to this. After the firmware update all 4 HDMI ports could accept HDMI 2 but can all 4 accept a 2160p signal? Before on my Bravia XBR-84X900 only 2 HDMI ports could accept 2160p source. I would have posted on the Bravia XBR-84X900 thread, but it has zero activity. So far the XBR-65X900A has pretty much mirrored the 84" on settings etc.
I have been following this thread since almost if not all activity applies to my Sony.
I do believe only one HDMI port can handle HDCP 2 which is where my X1 went before I sold it, am I correct on that?
post #9568 of 12587 Old 06-08-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Dreaux, I have passed the Sony an up-converted 2160p signal from my Denon 4520 on the other HDMI input connections, so I can confirm that all HDMI ports will accept the higher resolution.

I believe you are also correct that only HDMI4 accepts HDCP 2 content.
post #9569 of 12587 Old 06-08-2014, 09:20 AM

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Maybe someone knows the answer to this. After the firmware update all 4 HDMI ports could accept HDMI 2 but can all 4 accept a 2160p signal? Before on my Bravia XBR-84X900 only 2 HDMI ports could accept 2160p source. I would have posted on the Bravia XBR-84X900 thread, but it has zero activity. So far the XBR-65X900A has pretty much mirrored the 84" on settings etc.
I have been following this thread since almost if not all activity applies to my Sony.
I do believe only one HDMI port can handle HDCP 2 which is where my X1 went before I sold it, am I correct on that?

Quote:

Hey Dreaux, I have passed the Sony an up-converted 2160p signal from my Denon 4520 on the other HDMI input connections, so I can confirm that all HDMI ports will accept the higher resolution.

Can confirm a 2160p signal from an Intel NUC to all ports.
post #9570 of 12587 Old 06-08-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Thank you for that info AustinJerry, because before I could only get 2 HDMI's to accept 2160p. So the firmware update must have changed that.. Welcome news. My Onkyo TX-NR3010 can output a 4K signal so I will give it a test in the next couple days, of course the Onkyo up scaling is not as good as the Sony does it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page