Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 329 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9841 of 11369 Old 06-14-2014, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just watched the remastered in 4k robocop on this set, in simulated 3D. For simulated 3D, it was really good. I enjoyed the depth more than watching it in 2D. I'll have to try star wars next.
Mdjones9137 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 11369 Old 06-14-2014, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Talking Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luism2008 View Post
Got my new TV ..

Its beautifully designed hardware..

Question 1: So I didn't get the player yet for 4k. Are there any 4k files that I can play thru a usb?

Question 2: Also, more important and not sure what to make of it: the white doesn't look true white it looks like a faded blue tinge.. I don't remember seeing this at Best Buy.
What can I do to fix that?
Is there anyway i can run a test to make sure that the tv is doing the color output accurately to its standards..
I just received it and want to make sure I don't send it back without trying to adjust it.

Thanks

Can't play 4k videos over USB. The back of the manual has pretty much every single input signal and format accepted by the TV for every transport.

For blue tint whites, turn off all the Eco settings as mentioned and look at your color temperature setting and make sure it's not set to neutral or cool first off. I suspect it's pretty bad since many peoples' eyes perceive blue push on the high end to be neutral white until they see a true. calibrated white.

There's other things that can be done if that doesn't inch enough towards what you are looking for as pleasant.

if you go up a few posts you will see a post or two by AustinJerry with all of his calibrated settings in his sig if you want to try them - many here love their picture with his settings. Unless there's something wrong with your panel I can't imagine you would perceive white as bluish if you dial them in. I have some alternate settings in my sig too and a comparison of AustinJerry's settings and what I use. He has the science behind him, though, so I never mind endorsing him.
Thank you!! I did one of AJ settings for cinema gamma 2.4 and it made a great difference.. I will of course try yours tomorrow.. Thanks for the suggestion.. I am doing it at night (now) I will see it at day tomorrow..

I have a ps4 connected and I gage the white baesed on the menu fonts and GUI of the console itself (menus etc) and they looked horrid.. but after the first iteration I notice a difference in the whites!

Thaks again...
post #9843 of 11369 Old 06-14-2014, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
I improved my viewing angles and fade by going the Eco settings and disabling the light sensor.
Thank You!
post #9844 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Morning,
Just wondering if folks wanted to share the settings they're using to watch the World Cup. Doesn't really fall into "Cinema" settings IMO....So what scene and tweaks are you enjoying to bring the vibrancy of this global event into your own living rooms ?
i switch to general scene or "standard" picture setting to give the tv a little more "pop" and contrast while i watch the world cup. looks fantastic!
Yep
When i watch sports with those settings it reminds me of the way the TV looked when i used to visit it at best buy before i bought it.
I use A Jerry's settings for all other content though.
post #9845 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Morning,
Just wondering if folks wanted to share the settings they're using to watch the World Cup. Doesn't really fall into "Cinema" settings IMO....So what scene and tweaks are you enjoying to bring the vibrancy of this global event into your own living rooms ?
i switch to general scene or "standard" picture setting to give the tv a little more "pop" and contrast while i watch the world cup. looks fantastic!
Yep
When i watch sports with those settings it reminds me of the way the TV looked when i used to visit it at best buy before i bought it.
I found myself bouncing around between "Sports" and "General". Then just kind of tweaking things. I agree, that once you have a nice calibrated picture there's no need to change the viewing/picture mode, but as mentioned by others, when it comes to futbol (or many other sports) I kind of prefer that added brightness and color saturation that's more on the exaggerated side I guess?
RiED27880 and Mdjones9137 like this.
post #9846 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm trying not to be a slave to my OCD, but am struggling a bit. I know my tv has 8.2 million pixels. The equivalent of four 1080p hd tvs. So far I have glanced three dead pixels. All in the upper one fourth of the screen, but not anywhere close to one another, so impossible to see under normal viewing. Do dead pixels piss you off on principal? Or is it going to be unavoidable, but null due to the overall amount of pixels? Maybe I'm just noticing what was already there, but I wonder how much worse it may get over time. Or if it will ever be noticeable at viewing distance?
post #9847 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cminer72 View Post
I'm trying not to be a slave to my OCD, but am struggling a bit. I know my tv has 8.2 million pixels. The equivalent of four 1080p hd tvs. So far I have glanced three dead pixels. All in the upper one fourth of the screen, but not anywhere close to one another, so impossible to see under normal viewing. Do dead pixels piss you off on principal? Or is it going to be unavoidable, but null due to the overall amount of pixels? Maybe I'm just noticing what was already there, but I wonder how much worse it may get over time. Or if it will ever be noticeable at viewing distance?
I think if you were to call sony they would say that few amount of dead pixels is within spec and would not do anything. If the problem progresses just know you do have a 18 month warranty through sony. I would take 4 dead pixels over many of the other problems you could encounter. If you do not notice it with content on screen, I would not worry about it.
post #9848 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I purchased the original Star Wars collection on Laserdisc last year. I'm curious to see what it would look like on this TV. I need a player though.
post #9849 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Morning,
Yep
I found myself bouncing around between "Sports" and "General". Then just kind of tweaking things. I agree, that once you have a nice calibrated picture there's no need to change the viewing/picture mode, but as mentioned by others, when it comes to futbol (or many other sports) I kind of prefer that added brightness and color saturation that's more on the exaggerated side I guess?
And the beauty of it all is that you can set your TV any way you want to your own personal liking. Have a great day !!!
RiED27880 likes this.
post #9850 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Quote:
I think if you were to call sony they would say that few amount of dead pixels is within spec and would not do anything. If the problem progresses just know you do have a 18 month warranty through sony. I would take 4 dead pixels over many of the other problems you could encounter. If you do not notice it with content on screen, I would not worry about it.
I know I shouldn't expect a perfect led tv. I'm sure there could be more dead pixels, as I am not looking for them. I just glanced them on a white background while passing directly I front of it. Time for some Prozac I guess.
post #9851 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halon View Post
I purchased the original Star Wars collection on Laserdisc last year. I'm curious to see what it would look like on this TV. I need a player though.
Have you watched VHS on this TV ?
I have Field of Dreams on VHS , DVD and Bluray.
One of my all time fav movies.

The TV does the best it can with the VHS source - but in the end it is a very soft picture. The data is just not there to build the image. Imagine looking at a movie through saran wrap - that is how i would describe the difference between watching VHS and Bluray for this movie.
post #9852 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by halon View Post
Have you watched VHS on this TV ?
I have Field of Dreams on VHS , DVD and Bluray.
One of my all time fav movies.

The TV does the best it can with the VHS source - but in the end it is a very soft picture. The data is just not there to build the image. Imagine looking at a movie through saran wrap - that is how i would describe the difference between watching VHS and Bluray for this movie.
I have not tried vhs, but i also the original Star Wars vhs tapes.
Mdjones9137 likes this.
post #9853 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
If your set has no banding or noticeable clouding and the dead pixels are not noticeable for you seating distance I'd keep that set. I've gone through 3 x900a all three had banding and dead pixels. I'm not impressed with Sonys quality control. I know there's no such thing as a perfect set but....
post #9854 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Quote:
If your set has no banding or noticeable clouding and the dead pixels are not noticeable for you seating distance I'd keep that set. I've gone through 3 x900a all three had banding and dead pixels. I'm not impressed with Sonys quality control. I know there's no such thing as a perfect set but....
Yeah, after looking over the screen with my ps4 menu up, I see lots of the "dead pixels". I put that in quotes because I only see them at angles. Dead on and the pixel looks lit. Maybe I'm seeing around/behind it? Not sure what to make of it. However, normal viewing seems fine other than a mild case of DSE near the top edge/corners. Wife still loves it, it's only me who seems driven to madness.
post #9855 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread

Almost pulled the trigger today at Best Buy on Sony XBR65X850A 65-Inch. But the 799 for a protection plan and the cost to install mount on my brick wall turned me off

Sent from my iPhone 5
http://twitter.com/JBoDEAN

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200

Last edited by bodean; 06-15-2014 at 11:03 AM. Reason: type o
post #9856 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Almost pulled the trigger today at Best Buy on Sony XBR65X850A 65-Inch. But the 799 for a protection plan and the cost to install mount on my brick wall turned me off

Sent from my iPhone 5
You can get a 5 year from amazon square trade for like $250
bodean likes this.
post #9857 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
I hope that is not the case for me. I love my set but am getting a new one b.c banding is awful during grass sports and cloud scenes with panning.
post #9858 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I hope that is not the case for me. I love my set but am getting a new one b.c banding is awful during grass sports and cloud scenes with panning.
I looked at other 900a tvs on display at Best Buy and could see the shadows at the top, so I'm positive they would have a dirty screen effect as well. I think it's a characteristic of these panels. I'm not dragging mine back or taking a refurbished unit, since I believe they will all be like that to some degree.
post #9859 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone 5
Protection plans are a bad idea and a waste of money. If something goes wrong it will be shortly after purchase while covered by mfg warranty. You would have to use the mfg warranty as long as it's active before Best Buy does anything for your $800 in pure profit.
bodean likes this.
post #9860 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 03:48 PM

This article is from a few weeks ago in my local paper by a syndicated columnist and has a shout out for the 900a

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201406080002
bruceames likes this.
post #9861 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I looked at other 900a tvs on display at Best Buy and could see the shadows at the top, so I'm positive they would have a dirty screen effect as well. I think it's a characteristic of these panels. I'm not dragging mine back or taking a refurbished unit, since I believe they will all be like that to some degree.
Well I am getting a new one so hopefully it is better. The ones I have seen at best buy do not have banding and they are displaying soccer, so I would instantly notice it. I first noticed it watching a 4k demo on the x1.
post #9862 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the input. Ill go with Amazon for purchase and use one of their online protection plans. Close to pulling the trigger, but want to make sure I'm making the best decision given the price and size (65") that I want. Want to make sure there isn't something better out there in the price point of the XBR65X850A, seeing how it is pricy, and last years model.

Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #9863 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Ill go with Amazon for purchase and use one of their online protection plans. Close to pulling the trigger, but want to make sure I'm making the best decision given the price and size (65") that I want. Want to make sure there isn't something better out there in the price point of the XBR65X850A, seeing how it is pricy, and last years model.
The 850a is $2899 on amazon and the 900a is $2999 at bestbuy. For $100 more I would get the 900a. Better 3d alone makes it worth it.
post #9864 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
The 850a is $2899 on amazon and the 900a is $2999 at bestbuy. For $100 more I would get the 900a. Better 3d alone makes it worth it.
Thanks. The odds of my watching anything 3d are slim to be honest. Just want to make sure spending this kind of money, this is the best purchase/brand/set given the money today.... The 900a looks hideous with those speakers. I have a 5.1 sound system and would never use them, nor do I want them... I guess what it comes down to with my decision is do I buy the 850a (last years model) with 4K, or go with something like a sony W950B which is this years model, minus the 4K, less expensive, but maybe better overall picture for non-4K stuff....

Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200

Last edited by bodean; 06-15-2014 at 06:35 PM.
post #9865 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 05:22 PM

The 900a is officially out of stock on Sony.com
post #9866 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I notice it when watching the free blue angles demo in the X1. Right on the top middle of the screen looks like a dirty streak.

Have a new one being delivered tomorrow.

This one has no dead pixels or clouding. April 2014 Mexico build.

I hope I'm not trading one problem for another.

Am I being too picky or are there sets other there that don't have this with white or grey moving screens?

As mentioned before, this is my first LED. Been with plasma for years.

Thanks!
post #9867 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I know I shouldn't expect a perfect led tv. I'm sure there could be more dead pixels, as I am not looking for them. I just glanced them on a white background while passing directly I front of it. Time for some Prozac I guess.
Call Sony they will replace your set if U R in the US
post #9868 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
The XBR65X850A is $2,798 on Frys.com. The XBR55X850A $1,898. You have to create an account and login to see the sale price. Have BB or Amazon.com do a price match.
post #9869 of 11369 Old 06-15-2014, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a dead pixel on the upper left hand corner of my 65 xbr 900a and it isn't bothering me, I called sony store to see if it will be a problem, and they said no big deal on that, my other friend's Samsung had two and one is in the middle. So mines isn't bad and besides like someone said here if I replaced it I could get a worse one, so this is fine for me. No biggie.
post #9870 of 11369 Old 06-16-2014, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Another firmware update just rolled out.. PKG4.430AAA.. Just a heads up :thumbup:.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
nishant786 and RiED27880 like this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page