Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 331 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9901 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Senior Member
 
RiED27880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by knlmwq View Post
While "hideous" is a strong word and probably an exaggeration, the external look is important to a degree. Of course it isn't as important as the picture quality. But just as your are looking at the picture quality of the tv every time you turn it on, you have to look at the external build of the tv as well. I am sure you would not purchase a tv with wings on it regardless of how great the picture quality was.


And I disagree with the argument that whoever buys an expensive set like this will be using an expensive surround system and won't need speakers. Simplicity of nice sound coming directly from the set is sometimes preferred to having an overpowering surround system on all the time and the added hassle it creates.
I feel the same as you do with the added speakers to this set. They look elegant to me and sound perfect for regular viewing. Crisp and clear!specially when they blend in with the gorilla glass when the tv is off. I think my surround sound is gratefull i dont give it as much use as i used to before i bought the X9. I save the powerfull 3D surround sound for movies no need to turn it up for local news. lol just my two cents
Mdjones9137 likes this.
RiED27880 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9902 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Senior Member
 
RiED27880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
Replacement set came today.

Need some advice.

Is it normal to see where the led is being illuminated on the top and bottom edge of these LED screens? (Upside down triangles shapes from the led light) Both sets have this issue and makes whites tinged grey. Does it get better after a break in period?

Is this something that people have been running their screes to get rid of?

I'm an LED virgin as have only owned plasmas in the past.

Thanks!
some of the illuminating LEDs on the top or bottom while panning screens are almost standard on most led tvs. Some do a better job of hiding the light leakage than others. It depends on the panel. I see just a bit on the top of mine sometimes but nothing to ruin my overall experience with this set. There is no such thing as a perfect tv, but the X9 is the best I've owned uniformity wise.
RiED27880 is offline  
post #9903 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Member
 
m61376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Changes in picture quality from new update??

I got the update available message and clicked ok. I don't know if it is just my cable reception coincidentally, but the picture definitely doesn't look as crisp. It almost looks like a softness filter is over it now. Anyone else notice any picture quality changes?
m61376 is offline  
post #9904 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
just tested the youtube app and it seems the loading issue was fixed through firmware. its good they took notice of the problem and did something about it.
Yes - that was a pretty quick turnaround by Sony
RiED27880 likes this.
Mdjones9137 is online now  
post #9905 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,811
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by m61376 View Post
I got the update available message and clicked ok. I don't know if it is just my cable reception coincidentally, but the picture definitely doesn't look as crisp. It almost looks like a softness filter is over it now. Anyone else notice any picture quality changes?
Every time there is a FW update, someone asks whether it has affected PQ. To date, there has been no definitive proof that FW updates affect PQ.
wase4711 likes this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #9906 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Member
 
m61376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Every time there is a FW update, someone asks whether it has affected PQ. To date, there has been no definitive proof that FW updates affect PQ.
I was wondering though if anyone else noticed an immediate change in PQ after doing this update. Unless it is due to a coincidental change in the cable transmission, the picture quality changed quite perceptibly, having almost a film effect over it. I wanted to know how others found the update, and whether I am alone, or perhaps it changed a setting that I'm not aware of that I need to tweak..
m61376 is offline  
post #9907 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Every time there is a FW update, someone asks whether it has affected PQ. To date, there has been no definitive proof that FW updates affect PQ.
I agree but i think the message at the end of the upgrade process says "Some of your user settings may have been changed".

I think that is a general disclaimer notice by Sony - a cya - but gives us the perception that something changed.
It would be great to get a detailed list from sony on what changed for each update so we can determine impacts.

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 06-16-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Mdjones9137 is online now  
post #9908 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Member
 
m61376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know- I did see that message; I don't know enough to know what changed, except can see a significant change in sharpness I guess. The picture looks like a slight softening filter was put on it, for lack of a better description, and I was hoping someone here might have some insight on how to tweak it back.
m61376 is offline  
post #9909 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,811
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 646
I always do a quick check of setting after a FW update (trust but verify), and have yet to see any setting change. If you are sure you are seeing a difference, then it is perhaps your source PQ that has changed. Or perhaps you have inadvertently moved a setting from its original value. I'm sure you will figure it out--just run through your settings.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #9910 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by m61376 View Post
I know- I did see that message; I don't know enough to know what changed, except can see a significant change in sharpness I guess. The picture looks like a slight softening filter was put on it, for lack of a better description, and I was hoping someone here might have some insight on how to tweak it back.
I think as Jerry pointed out, probably just the source content. Throw in a Blu-Ray you're familiar with, or take a quick glance at your settings. Speaking for myself, I didn't notice any changes in PQ, and I believe the update was directed at app loading behavior as Lee pointed out. But stranger things have happened, just take a quick glance at your settings..
TweakerInWA is online now  
post #9911 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Big difference between owning the series as a download and lessor quality Netflix streams. $3.99 per 45 minute episode is not a bad price compared to paying $30.00 for the movies. I'm not interested in the show, but if I was I would definitely get the EST shows from Sony.
And I'd rather pay 15 bucks and get a season worth of Blurays.

In general I would think bit rate would be something to consider instead of just resolution especially given how HD content looks on our set. Not that any of the titles I've heard about need much of either.

Last edited by flinchn; 06-16-2014 at 07:19 PM.
flinchn is online now  
post #9912 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
And I'd rather pay 15 bucks and get a season worth of Blurays.

In general I would think bit rate would be something to consider instead of just resolution especially given how HD content looks on our set. Not that any of the titles I've heard about need much of either.
And I'd rather watch 4k content on my 4k TV. Upscaled Blu-ray is nice, but when something better comes along then it attracts me like a magnet.
bruceames is online now  
post #9913 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
And I'd rather watch 4k content on my 4k TV. Upscaled Blu-ray is nice, but when something better comes along then it attracts me like a magnet.
Have you already seen some 4k off the x1/USA?
flinchn is online now  
post #9914 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Have you already seen some 4k off the x1/USA?
No I haven't. Just read some impressions. I'm especially exited about Lawrence of Arabia because from all accounts it looks better than the Blu-ray. But of course you have to sit close enough to appreciate it (at least 1.3:1 viewing ratio or preferably 1:1). Also can't wait to check out some others, like It Happened One Night (that hasn't been out on Blu-ray yet). I preordered the X10 from Amazon but the only 4K I've actually seen is a couple of demos in Best Buy.

Definitely exited but for now I'm still in awe of the 3D on this TV.
bruceames is online now  
post #9915 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
No I haven't. Just read some impressions. I'm especially exited about Lawrence of Arabia because from all accounts it looks better than the Blu-ray. But of course you have to sit close enough to appreciate it (at least 1.3:1 viewing ratio or preferably 1:1). Also can't wait to check out some others, like It Happened One Night (that hasn't been out on Blu-ray yet). I preordered the X10 from Amazon but the only 4K I've actually seen is a couple of demos in Best Buy.

Definitely exited but for now I'm still in awe of the 3D on this TV.
Well *filmed* 4k content is definitely impressive and a step above HD but not as much as you may think. Movies mastered but not filmed in 4k are even closer to HD upscaled. High bit rate 1080p is going to beat streaming bitrate (unless the compression codec is that good that it can deliver high bitrate?) for 4k. That's how well this TV upscales.
nishant786 likes this.
flinchn is online now  
post #9916 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Well *filmed* 4k content is definitely impressive and a step above HD but not as much as you may think. Movies mastered but not filmed in 4k are even closer to HD upscaled. High bit rate 1080p is going to beat streaming bitrate (unless the compression codec is that good that it can deliver high bitrate?) for 4k. That's how well this TV upscales.
A probably encoded variable bit rate average of around 20 mbps is all you really need to maximize 1080p PQ.

Sony's 4k video service is not streaming but downloads, and at a respectable bit rate.

Have you actually compared first hand Sony's 4K downloads against the Blu-ray versions?
bruceames is online now  
post #9917 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
A probably encoded variable bit rate average of around 20 mbps is all you really need to maximize 1080p PQ.

Sony's 4k video service is not streaming but downloads, and at a respectable bit rate.

Have you actually compared first hand Sony's 4K downloads against the Blu-ray versions?
Of course. I'm not sure why I'd even buy my X1 if I wasn't going to do that comparison. Verdict : better in 4k but the term 'show stopper' would be a huge exaggeration. Certainly not even close to the jump between VHS-->DVD or DVD->bluray
You'll see.

Also- If I have a choice between a downloaded 4k movie and a 3d bluray version - there's no question which I would pick.
wase4711 likes this.
flinchn is online now  
post #9918 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I would even go so far as to say that the vast majority of people couldn't tell the difference (at any distance) unless (possibly) they were inspecting/comparing themselves. We are a different breed here at AVS
wase4711 likes this.

Last edited by flinchn; 06-16-2014 at 09:13 PM.
flinchn is online now  
post #9919 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Of course. I'm not sure why I'd even buy my X1 if I wasn't going to do that comparison. Verdict : better in 4k but the term 'show stopper' would be a huge exaggeration. Certainly not even close to the jump between VHS-->DVD or DVD->bluray
You'll see.

Also- If I have a choice between a downloaded 4k movie and a 3d bluray version - there's no question which I would pick.
I guess I'll find out when I get my X10 next month. I'm not going to buy or rent anything unless I feel the bump up in PQ is worth it. The nice thing is that I won't have to roll the dice. I can download a sample of each movie to compare myself before I take the plunge.

I agree the 3D looks amazingly good (I still can't get over how good it looks) and I would choose it myself over 4K. But there's very few titles where both are available right now.
bruceames is online now  
post #9920 of 11300 Old 06-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Member
 
Rodymx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This afternoon I received an update notice my 65X900A ... any know what were the changes in this update?

Personally eh not noticed any kind of change in menus or image of my TV
Rodymx is online now  
post #9921 of 11300 Old 06-17-2014, 03:25 AM
Member
 
mavenaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This is bad right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1403000689467.jpg (21.9 KB, 113 views)
mavenaz is offline  
post #9922 of 11300 Old 06-17-2014, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
This is bad right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Do you see it when there is actual content displayed on the TV? If it is only noticeable when you are on a screen with no signal, I would not worry about it.
Mattopotamus is online now  
post #9923 of 11300 Old 06-17-2014, 04:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Of course. I'm not sure why I'd even buy my X1 if I wasn't going to do that comparison. Verdict : better in 4k but the term 'show stopper' would be a huge exaggeration. Certainly not even close to the jump between VHS-->DVD or DVD->bluray
You'll see.

Also- If I have a choice between a downloaded 4k movie and a 3d bluray version - there's no question which I would pick.
I saw a demo running last year that split the TVs screen in half comparing 1080p to 4k. There was a difference and the 4k was superior and had more fine detail but it was not as much as I expected.

There is a youtube video comparing 2 video cameras that illustrates the differences.
The video name on youtube is 55SWtb1Hm7w
Embedding the url in here interfered with the ads on this site :-(

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 06-17-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Mdjones9137 is online now  
post #9924 of 11300 Old 06-17-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,811
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by golem View Post
It shouldnt make a huge difference on movies because all Blu Rays are 8-bit encoded iirc, but may be noticable in games and apps.

For X1 go into display settings and enable 36 bits per pixel. Leave RGB on regular however or else it will crush the blacks.
When you say "X1", are you referring to the Xbox-1? "X1" usually means the Sony X1 Media Player in this thread. I don't see any settings on the X900a for "deep color" or for "RGB Regular". can you please clarify what you mean?
AustinJerry is online now  
post #9925 of 11300 Old 06-17-2014, 07:37 AM
Member
 
cminer72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had read the 3d had no cross talk on this tv, but still see ghosting on some 3d discs. We watched Tangled and Avatar, which looked great. Man of Steel and Dredd showed lots of ghosting, and lighted backgrounds behind people and objects looks weird. Like the object is set back into the lighted area. A throne on Man of Steel looks like it wraps around the person in the scene.
cminer72 is offline  
post #9926 of 11300 Old 06-17-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 4,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cminer72 View Post
I had read the 3d had no cross talk on this tv, but still see ghosting on some 3d discs. We watched Tangled and Avatar, which looked great. Man of Steel and Dredd showed lots of ghosting, and lighted backgrounds behind people and objects looks weird. Like the object is set back into the lighted area. A throne on Man of Steel looks like it wraps around the person in the scene.
You need to be in the right position relative to the TV for the 3D to work. You need to be at or below the horizontal center line of the TV. But there are issues if the TV is mounted too high, too.

Still, when you're in the right spot (which is pretty wide), the 3D is amazing.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
Shape is offline  
post #9927 of 11300 Old 06-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
When you say "X1", are you referring to the Xbox-1? "X1" usually means the Sony X1 Media Player in this thread. I don't see any settings on the X900a for "deep color" or for "RGB Regular". can you please clarify what you mean?
Agreed, I've seen Xbox One called Xbone and X1 around the forums, but this thread has always used that to refer to the first media server.

You can't turn Deep Color "on" on the set, but if you pass Deep Color 36bit, hitting display will show 12bit

RGB as he is referring to it = Full as opposed to Limited (affects deepest black level and Full accomodates PC input/mirroring) Set to limited

Auto is what our set is for every input by default under pro pic->dynamic range and that means it almost always senses limited

Last edited by flinchn; 06-17-2014 at 09:34 AM.
flinchn is online now  
post #9928 of 11300 Old 06-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
I agree but i think the message at the end of the upgrade process says "Some of your user settings may have been changed".

I think that is a general disclaimer notice by Sony - a cya - but gives us the perception that something changed.
It would be great to get a detailed list from sony on what changed for each update so we can determine impacts.
The only setting that has always changed for me is that my clock is reset. I don't bother setting it anymore.
flinchn is online now  
post #9929 of 11300 Old 06-17-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by cminer72 View Post
I had read the 3d had no cross talk on this tv, but still see ghosting on some 3d discs. We watched Tangled and Avatar, which looked great. Man of Steel and Dredd showed lots of ghosting, and lighted backgrounds behind people and objects looks weird. Like the object is set back into the lighted area. A throne on Man of Steel looks like it wraps around the person in the scene.
Huh. I never saw any ghosting on those titles. Or really any others...
flinchn is online now  
post #9930 of 11300 Old 06-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Member
 
cembros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new XBR-65X900A but I'm a bit confused about its HDMIcapabilities and whether or not it will be able to accept a H.265 signal. Can anyone provide more details? If I’m notmistaken it has HDMI 2.0 through a firmware upgrade but it cannot stream H.265 throughits own apps, mainly Netflix and youtube. If I have an external device that can transmit with H.265 (say a futureversion of appleTV) will the TV accept the signal and decode it properly?
cembros is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off