Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 11978 Old 08-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Can someone answer this (very possibly stupid) question? I have Direct tv and wanted to watch a pay per view 3d movie but it presents it in what I believe is side by side. So my glasses are useless and I can't switch anything in the menus but 3d off. Am I missing something ? ' Auto 2' which mentions side by side doesn't help at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 11978 Old 08-06-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post

Got my 65inch installed. I am also having issues with the connection of the FMP-X1. The server keeps rebooting and at times makes the connection where you see the 4k logo with those lines going back and forth and then it stops working. I did manage to get it to the menu a few times but that didnt last long. The Sony tech was saying that I need an enterprise switch with both of the units connected to it so I want to ask the people that have theirs working about what type of switch/hub they have their units connected to...

You do NOT need an enterprise switch. How do you have it hooked up, and with what networking gear? I highly doubt it is a networking issue.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #993 of 11978 Old 08-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

Can someone answer this (very possibly stupid) question? I have Direct tv and wanted to watch a pay per view 3d movie but it presents it in what I believe is side by side. So my glasses are useless and I can't switch anything in the menus but 3d off. Am I missing something ? ' Auto 2' which mentions side by side doesn't help at all.

The button on the remote "3D" and the "picture and settings" offer the same five options. They are: side by side, over under, simulated, 2D L only and 2D R only.

Are you getting those options highlighted?

Do you get an effect when you're in simulated?
post #994 of 11978 Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

The button on the remote "3D" and the "picture and settings" offer the same five options. They are: side by side, over under, simulated, 2D L only and 2D R only.

Are you getting those options highlighted?

No. When I hit the 3d button it only lets me turn 3d on or off. When not viewing the movie (2d viewing) I do see all the options.
post #995 of 11978 Old 08-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

I think something else is wrong. Possibly with my genie. The right side is on the left and vice versa not what I understand side by side to be. But when I keep pressing play the picture kind of converges for a second. The other 2 3d channels work fine just not the ondemand one.
post #996 of 11978 Old 08-06-2013, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone tried their Sony 4k with any sort of Oppo? This will be my first Oppo system I've owned, and I'm just wondering if the quality is that good compared to standard blu ray players. Also, how is the lag input on this tv for gaming? I was able to test it out at a MDC in Richfield, MN and it seemed like it was pretty solid, at least just as good as the tv's I already own, but I only got to play a couple minutes, as I was there on a business trip for the company. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic for my 4k to get here!
post #997 of 11978 Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic13 View Post

Has anyone tried their Sony 4k with any sort of Oppo? This will be my first Oppo system I've owned, and I'm just wondering if the quality is that good compared to standard blu ray players. Also, how is the lag input on this tv for gaming? I was able to test it out at a MDC in Richfield, MN and it seemed like it was pretty solid, at least just as good as the tv's I already own, but I only got to play a couple minutes, as I was there on a business trip for the company. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic for my 4k to get here!

Yes the Oppo 103/105 is that good compared to standard blu-ray players.
post #998 of 11978 Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think something else is wrong. Possibly with my genie. The right side is on the left and vice versa not what I understand side by side to be. But when I keep pressing play the picture kind of converges for a second. The other 2 3d channels work fine just not the ondemand one.

Sounds like there is something wrong with the on demand one. I have directv and the 2 3D channels work fine but I haven't tried the on demand one.
post #999 of 11978 Old 08-07-2013, 03:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

Yes, I want to stick with Sony and 65" is the preferred size, but it seems my only option for a Sony set that has great IQ is the w900a 55" or the 4k 65". And to the previous post, yes I am referring to the 900a 2k set, not the X900a which I know is the 4k set.
Since you say you will be updating in 2 years anyway, may I suggest a plasma display, like the ST series Panasonic VT series. Might want to give it a look anyway to see if the shoe fits.
post #1000 of 11978 Old 08-07-2013, 04:28 AM

Liked: 11

Make sure you get the Oppo 105 if you want 3D. the 103 does not show 3D.
post #1001 of 11978 Old 08-07-2013, 04:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyman2 View Post

Make sure you get the Oppo 105 if you want 3D. the 103 does not show 3D.
You might want to check the Oppo website about that. The BDP-103 has the same video capabilities as the 105.

John
post #1002 of 11978 Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes the Oppo 103 does 3D as well as 4K up scaling.

"Exceptional Picture Quality by Qdeo Processing

4k Up-Scaling, 3D Playback, 2D to 3D Conversion

Dual HDMI Inputs/Outputs, MHL Input Capable

Dual-core Fast Loading"
post #1004 of 11978 Old 08-07-2013, 06:58 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Yes the Oppo 103 does 3D as well as 4K up scaling.

I just looked at you are right. I apologize. I was sure I had read only the 105 did 3D. or 4K or something. But it seems i am wrong. So thanks for clearig that up.
post #1005 of 11978 Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

You do NOT need an enterprise switch. How do you have it hooked up, and with what networking gear? I highly doubt it is a networking issue.

They are connected to the same router. The TV in wireless mode which Sony said was okay but I am guessing it is not so I need to run a Ethernet cable to it now. The Enterprise switch was recommended by Sony. Go figure!
post #1006 of 11978 Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Since you say you will be updating in 2 years anyway, may I suggest a plasma display, like the ST series Panasonic VT series. Might want to give it a look anyway to see if the shoe fits.
Now that would not be bad ideal period
post #1007 of 11978 Old 08-07-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

I dont know what is better/worse... to stream a movie to a 4k player that is not out yet or to have a 4k player with no streaming presently available.
post #1008 of 11978 Old 08-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I dont know what is better/worse... to stream a movie to a 4k player that is not out yet or to have a 4k player with no streaming presently available.

I'm having a good time with the X1 player, I mean after the eleventh viewing of the Adam Sandler movie, even Jennifer Aniston is starting to look decent.

It's going to be interesting adjusting the download speed in the player's options once 4K SEN starts. I am thinking Sony is going to start informing complainants they need to subscribe to a faster internet package.

I generally get around 20-25 Mbps with the Comcast "performance" package.
post #1009 of 11978 Old 08-07-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:

Quote:

I'm having a good time with the X1 player, I mean after the eleventh viewing of the Adam Sandler movie, even Jennifer Aniston is starting to look decent.

It's going to be interesting adjusting the download speed in the player's options once 4K SEN starts. I am thinking Sony is going to start informing complainants they need to subscribe to a faster internet package.

I generally get around 20-25 Mbps with the Comcast "performance" package.

Even Jennifer Aniston is starting to look decent? That Hottie don't need 4K to look good my friend.
post #1010 of 11978 Old 08-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

(actually that is a mash up photo)
post #1011 of 11978 Old 08-07-2013, 12:45 PM

HI All,

I had promised to give an update on gaming a long time ago... I was just so very busy....

So here it is...

Console gaming on Xbox 360:
If you leave all the enhancers and reality creation on, then lag is very clearly noticeable. I never won in a car racing game this way for example. Also shooters suck this way....It gets way harder this way as you have to anticipate the moves and have lightning reflexes wink.gif Its basically unplayable in fast-paced games but looks very nice therefore.... but probably still ok in slow games... wink.gif

If you switch scene select to "game-original" lags gets very acceptable (but it automatically turn all enhancers and reality creation off). I was able to play Gears of War: J just fine and win the match. I have no way of measuring input lag, but would guesstimate its 40ms or less. My old SONY X4500 had a little less lag in Game Mode, but not much.

So overall, maybe not the best TV for JUST gaming, BUT if you also want to watch and really enjoy movies (with amazing colour and detail) as well, its currently an unbeatable combination.
(I read the W905 has only ca. 20ms lag in Game Mode which is much better, so just for gaming this would likely be a better choice)

Let me know if you have specific questions ....
doctune

Next up, will be more PC gaming tests in 1080p and 4K...
post #1012 of 11978 Old 08-07-2013, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctune View Post

HI All,

I had promised to give an update on gaming a long time ago... I was just so very busy....

So here it is...

Console gaming on Xbox 360:
If you leave all the enhancers and reality creation on, then lag is very clearly noticeable. I never won in a car racing game this way for example. Also shooters suck this way....It gets way harder this way as you have to anticipate the moves and have lightning reflexes wink.gif Its basically unplayable in fast-paced games but looks very nice therefore.... but probably still ok in slow games... wink.gif

If you switch scene select to "game-original" lags gets very acceptable (but it automatically turn all enhancers and reality creation off). I was able to play Gears of War: J just fine and win the match. I have no way of measuring input lag, but would guesstimate its 40ms or less. My old SONY X4500 had a little less lag in Game Mode, but not much.

So overall, maybe not the best TV for JUST gaming, BUT if you also want to watch and really enjoy movies (with amazing colour and detail) as well, its currently an unbeatable combination.
(I read the W905 has only ca. 20ms lag in Game Mode which is much better, so just for gaming this would likely be a better choice)

Let me know if you have specific questions ....
doctune

Next up, will be more PC gaming tests in 1080p and 4K...

Thanks for the feedback. The non 4k version, the 900a 55" has a lightning fast response time of 19.6 ms in Game Mode.

When you engage Game Mode, does it turn off every enhancer or just a select few? On the 900a some items are turned off, but not all of them so you still get great image quality. Did you notice a big difference in IQ in game moe vs. non game mode?

Oh and cannot wait to hear what you have to say with 1080p PC gaming as that is what I also use my HDTV for as well.

-Hawkmoon
post #1013 of 11978 Old 08-07-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

Thanks for the feedback. The non 4k version, the 900a 55" has a lightning fast response time of 19.6 ms in Game Mode.

When you engage Game Mode, does it turn off every enhancer or just a select few? On the 900a some items are turned off, but not all of them so you still get great image quality. Did you notice a big difference in IQ in game moe vs. non game mode?

Oh and cannot wait to hear what you have to say with 1080p PC gaming as that is what I also use my HDTV for as well.

There is actually 2 Game-Modes Game-Original and Game-Standard. I only tested in the first one so far. In this one all noise reduction and enhancers and reality creation are off. Although you could re-enable reality creation and smooth gradation und all enhancers. In the second one reality creation is Auto and few enhancers are set.

In the original the picture is not changed from the source Input. I will try Game-Standard next time as well and report back...

Until then...
post #1014 of 11978 Old 08-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Would any of you speculate on whether an "HDMI 1 to 2 splitter" can be used on the X1 HDMI (1) output?

Something like this one:
http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/home-theater/RF-G1182.html
post #1015 of 11978 Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Would any of you speculate on whether an "HDMI 1 to 2 splitter" can be used on the X1 HDMI (1) output?

Something like this one:
http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/home-theater/RF-G1182.html

I dont want to dissapoint you - but it wont work. Except the upgraded TV and the X1 there are no HDCP2.2 devices out yet. And if its not HDCP2.2 it wont work, thats unfortunately the whole idea behind it....
post #1016 of 11978 Old 08-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not seeing any thing that confirms this set can do 1080p or /24p side by side 3d, which is what this pay per view channel transmits, apparently. Has anyone tested this?
post #1017 of 11978 Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctune View Post

I dont want to dissapoint you - but it wont work. Except the upgraded TV and the X1 there are no HDCP2.2 devices out yet. And if its not HDCP2.2 it wont work, thats unfortunately the whole idea behind it....

I didn't think an HDMI splitter would work, thanks.
post #1018 of 11978 Old 08-08-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't think an HDMI splitter would work, thanks.

I may be wrong but I don't think you can send out 2 HDMI signals at the same time anyway. Either switch one out or the other.
post #1019 of 11978 Old 08-08-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Depending on how the component is defined, a "splitter" should allow for two simultaneous signals.

Jim
post #1020 of 11978 Old 08-08-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
BTW, splitter's will have one HDMI input and multiple outputs (normally two), and an HDMI Switch will have two (or more) HDMI Inputs and "One" output.

Jim
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page