Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 349 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10441 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubs92 View Post
Quick question guys.

I have the 65x900a and the xfinity x1 platform. Now I have the resolution set to 1080p 60p, and from my understanding when you select 1080p the picture is upscaled to 1080p and not broadcasted in 1080p. I know The tv upscales content to 4k. So my quedtion is does it create a problem with an upscale being upscaled? Lol sorry if I confuse you
Why don't you try 1080i on the cable box and compare that to 1080p on the cable box. One of them will be better and that is the one you should use.

The xfinity salesman when i was looking at the X1 told me the 1080p was a better picture from the cable box but i passed on the X1 since i would need to rent a cable modem / router from them and i own my own equipment.

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 07-01-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10442 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
Netflix claims that in order to stream 4k you need a steady Internet connection speed of 25Mbps or higher. This means even if I buy the fmp-x10 i can't stream 4k Netflix with my current blast internet since it is only getting about 17 to 18.
4k Bluray is the only option in my mind.
If you are talking about the previous conversation in which the internet connection, as measured by the in-built speed test app, is only showing 17-18 Mbs speeds, I think we need to get to the bottom of why this is the case. My ISP is 100 Mbs, and I expect to be able to stream 4K when the media player becomes available. If it can't, Sony will have some explaining to do.
post #10443 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Netflix claims that in order to stream 4k you need a steady Internet connection speed of 25Mbps or higher. This means even if I buy the fmp-x10 i can't stream 4k Netflix with my current blast internet since it is only getting about 17 to 18.
4k Bluray is the only option in my mind.
Netflix said at least 15mbps to stream 4k, where did u get 25mbps?

Edit: it does require 25mbps. A video I seem from ces back in January had a Netflix rep saying 15mbps
post #10444 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubs92 View Post
Netflix said at least 15mbps to stream 4k, where did u get 25mbps?

Edit: it does require 25mbps. A video I seem from ces back in January had a Netflix rep saying 15mbps
15.6 is required. 25 is recommended to maintain 4k quality so it does not cut in and out.

I had a 18 Mbps connection and could maintain a 4k stream on Netflix with a Samsung 8550.
post #10445 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
If you are talking about the previous conversation in which the internet connection, as measured by the in-built speed test app, is only showing 17-18 Mbs speeds, I think we need to get to the bottom of why this is the case. My ISP is 100 Mbs, and I expect to be able to stream 4K when the media player becomes available. If it can't, Sony will have some explaining to do.
My comcast blast is 105mbps but my TV wirelessly got 17-18 similar to you the other day. I am not rushing to buy the fmp-x10 at all.
post #10446 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am a long time lurker and have been reading the posts here for quite a while. I bought the 55x900a as an early adopter, went thru getting the circuit board changed while refusing to buy an x1 media server and have followed all the issues here.

I was bowled over when I saw the 65x900a model in person and was really wowed by the passive 3D.
But I made a fateful decision. Because I gasped at the then $7,000 price and I was afraid it would be too big for the room I was thinking of I made a fateful decision to buy the 55 model.

I was assured that it was similar to the 65 model in every way including the spectacular 3D. Sadly as we know it is not. By the time I found out here that the 3d specs were different for it I waged an email campaign with Sony to replace it with a 65 and argued about their misleading advertising. They refused. So I have been living with it since, watching its price plummet but generally enjoying the set.

However it got the point that I stopped watching a lot of 3D because of the very noticeable loss of resolution and shimmering lines I could see. I have felt that I have always been missing something with this model and yes, thinking I would enjoy the larger screen size...

Today I did something either real stupid or fortuitous. I bought an open box 65x900a set, the last one BestBuy had for $2,549.99. I was told it was a return from someone who preferred a Samsung that just came in yesterday. A great price considering what it once went for and less than half what I paid for my 55. Oh yes I watched the set in the store and I could detect no defects. I will have 15 days to return it and to buy extended coverage (can I buy a policy thru Costco?)

I refused to buy an x1 server for $449 that they could have got from another BB.

When this set gets delivered Friday I hope to be wowed by some 3d movies or suffer from buyers remorse.

But I've got a feeling I'll be looking for somewhere in the house to hide the 55....
dbburns and bruceames like this.
post #10447 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe1 View Post
I am a long time lurker and have been reading the posts here for quite a while. I bought the 55x900a as an early adopter, went thru getting the circuit board changed while refusing to buy an x1 media server and have followed all the issues here.

I was bowled over when I saw the 65x900a model in person and was really wowed by the passive 3D.
But I made a fateful decision. Because I gasped at the then $7,000 price and I was afraid it would be too big for the room I was thinking of I made a fateful decision to buy the 55 model.

I was assured that it was similar to the 65 model in every way including the spectacular 3D. Sadly as we know it is not. By the time I found out here that the 3d specs were different for it I waged an email campaign with Sony to replace it with a 65 and argued about their misleading advertising. They refused. So I have been living with it since, watching its price plummet but generally enjoying the set.

However it got the point that I stopped watching a lot of 3D because of the very noticeable loss of resolution and shimmering lines I could see. I have felt that I have always been missing something with this model and yes, thinking I would enjoy the larger screen size...

Today I did something either real stupid or fortuitous. I bought an open box 65x900a set, the last one BestBuy had for $2,549.99. I was told it was a return from someone who preferred a Samsung that just came in yesterday. A great price considering what it once went for and less than half what I paid for my 55. Oh yes I watched the set in the store and I could detect no defects. I will have 15 days to return it and to buy extended coverage (can I buy a policy thru Costco?)

I refused to buy an x1 server for $449 that they could have got from another BB.

When this set gets delivered Friday I hope to be wowed by some 3d movies or suffer from buyers remorse.

But I've got a feeling I'll be looking for somewhere in the house to hide the 55....
Congrats on your purchase, you got a great price and hopefully will make up for the disappointment on your 55".

You will be wowed by the 3D. All I want to do is watch 3D on this TV. Looking through a window is the best way to describe it.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #10448 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Not sure if this box is HEVC capable or if the tv it is hooked needs to have it?

http://madcatz.com/4k-coming-to-mojo/

Quote:
4K or "4K Ultra HD" is roughly four times the resolution of Full HD (1080p) You can play 4K media from M.O.J.O.s internal drive, an external hard drive, or stream it with Vimeo, Youtube and more

http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/pressreleas...d_game_console

Quote:
Margolis also tested 4K videos played back from external USB 3.0 drives and locally, which worked “pretty well,” but some of the videos created at high bit rates – e.g., greater than 75 Megabits per second – experienced significant jitter during playback of certain parts.

The console is not yet 100% 4K ready, so Mad Catz is careful to call it “4K UHD capable.” For now, the console can play some 4K content, and upscale games and apps on a growing number of 4K TVs and displays.

Last edited by halon; 07-01-2014 at 09:19 PM.
post #10449 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I got my 900a and am finally happy with it
The first set from best buy had a off blue tinge that made the white look light skyblue..
That I managed to tame by using one of the recommended settings from AustinJerry ..
But then i saw a dead pixel.. and i returned it..
I got the new one and this one is more white and no dead pixels.. and I haven'y even applied the Austin settings yet ..

that was the Preamble..
presently..
My brother saw my tv and bought one. I notice the his 3d depth is way off ( i see a lot of doubling) I tried the settings in the 3D Depth Adjustment screen and it gets close but no cigar.. I moved left right far and near to make sure I was not missing the sweet spot, but it didn't improve.. so what do I compare it? Mine of course.. where the "exact" 3d bluray is played on my set the 3d looks great ..
As a reference basis we used the 3d animated disney castle and the logo for FROZEN since that is when the most obvious doubling occurs

Frozen looks sharp and 3d on mine and his looks doubledy.. even after we click on every option as the 3d movie title is on pause..

Any ideas on what it could be? ( even tho its a pain I am pushing him to return it)

Are there any other settings that we can play with to make that adjustment?

Thanks

-Luis
post #10450 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post
Yea, poor goalie sets record but is still on losing team. USA had a nice rally though. Now who do we pull for?

And the game looked spectacular on my X9, of course.
Costa Rica is still in! lol and are the only ones representing concacaf, or our side of the pond basicly. I guess anyone on our continent will have to do ;D but BOY was that loss by our team hard to swallow

Last edited by RiED27880; 07-01-2014 at 09:54 PM.
post #10451 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think I lost the panel lottery. The pic below was taken while I waited for a game to load on my PS4, so there was input. The screen looks kinda blotchy. I bought it from Best Buy...is it worth trying to swap? Whats the protocol there since I had it delivered and they took the box?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TV.jpg (149.4 KB, 71 views)
post #10452 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post
I think I lost the panel lottery. The pic below was taken while I waited for a game to load on my PS4, so there was input. The screen looks kinda blotchy. I bought it from Best Buy...is it worth trying to swap? Whats the protocol there since I had it delivered and they took the box?
That is a mirror image of what my panel looks like. But the picture is beautiful otherwise. I think it is very common with this model and not necessarily defective, although I kind of wish I never would have read this forum as I hear of other people exchanging tvs and ending up with a good one. Makes me think something is wrong with my tv when I should be just enjoying watching it rather than worrying about the uniformity that is only noticeable 1% of the time with no input or dark screen.
Mdjones9137 likes this.
post #10453 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 11:16 PM

Liked: 31
I wall mounted mine and considered that the weight of the tv may have been flexing the screen. Don't think that is the case though. I will say the uniformity seems to have gotten better over time. Almost like the LCD needed to "wear in" or something.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
post #10454 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
That is a mirror image of what my panel looks like. But the picture is beautiful otherwise. I think it is very common with this model and not necessarily defective, although I kind of wish I never would have read this forum as I hear of other people exchanging tvs and ending up with a good one. Makes me think something is wrong with my tv when I should be just enjoying watching it rather than worrying about the uniformity that is only noticeable 1% of the time with no input or dark screen.
Quote:
I wall mounted mine and considered that the weight of the tv may have been flexing the screen. Don't think that is the case though. I will say the uniformity seems to have gotten better over time. Almost like the LCD needed to "wear in" or something.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

This forum definitely can spoil you in terms of what to look for because you can't unsee something. Now that I know it's there its starting to bother me, but it's a great set and otherwise it has a beautiful pic. The 3D blows away my Active 3D Samsung plasma for sure! I popped in Pacific Rim as a test and WOW...I actually had my mouth open in amazement for about 15 minutes.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #10455 of 11424 Old 07-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Still, dont think those who got a near perfect panel like myself doesnt think its very unfair considering how much this set costs. But i did pay 7k so i have (little) less sympathy for those picking them up under 3k.

My no signal screen is almost completely uniform and any true black signal is completely uniform like the panel is off - including when there are elements on the screen here and there. But i would be the loudest complainer if this was not so.
RiED27880 and Mdjones9137 like this.
post #10456 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
is it noticable playing a bluray or watching other content?
post #10457 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by everunman View Post
is it noticable playing a bluray or watching other content?
This. If you cannot see it during content and only when there is a blank input screen, I would not replace it. Have you watched the world cup on the set? Is it banding free?
post #10458 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Still, dont think those who got a near perfect panel like myself doesnt think its very unfair considering how much this set costs. But i did pay 7k so i have (little) less sympathy for those picking them up under 3k.

My no signal screen is almost completely uniform and any true black signal is completely uniform like the panel is off - including when there are elements on the screen here and there. But i would be the loudest complainer if this was not so.
I paid 5,500 and my panel is near perfect too.
That is the caveat with getting an end of life model - what do you do if the stock is not there to replace your TV if the panel has issues?
RiED27880 likes this.
post #10459 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Costa Rica is still in! lol and are the only ones representing concacaf, or our side of the pond basicly. I guess anyone on our continent will have to do ;D but BOY was that loss by our team hard to swallow
I will be painfully watching it today on demand.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #10460 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Agreed.
If the clouding is visible with content on the screen it is an issue if clouding is not visible with content on the screen is not an issue.
My youtube startup page is cloudy just like everyone else's but not when a youtube video is playing.
post #10461 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I think there's something to be said for TV tech wearing in. My set's coming up on a year and the picture and sound are as good as they'e ever been. I don't notice any clouding and the sound is phenomenal. I know I'm dragging this up again, but the sound really is exceptional for a TV, it's definitely gotten better as it's worn in.

One of my favourite test images is the 0% Pluge on Spears and Munsil. The image dims down to black, absolute black, but there's still the 2% and 4% bars in the middle with no clouding whatsoever.
bruceames and RiED27880 like this.
post #10462 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I picked up a 70" KDL70W850b over the weekend and now I'm doubting the purchase. Only one of the local BBYs in the area is showing the X900A in stock and I'm thinking about swapping them out.

Biggest issues right now are:
-Will I get better motion pixelation with the X900A vs the W850B? Still don't know if there is a setting that will improve that on the W850B.
- it seems the X900A has an incredible 3d picture and it's passive 3d. The W850b is active and the 3d picture seems to be too dark. Could be because of the glasses. Regular Blu looks really good but it seems the 3D picture on the same Blu player is just darker overall even with the same picture settings.
-Dropping from a 70" to 65".
-4k with the X900A vs no 4k with the W850B.

I guess the overall question is if whether the X900A is the better buy even though it's more expensive..
post #10463 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I think there's something to be said for TV tech wearing in. My set's coming up on a year and the picture and sound are as good as they'e ever been. I don't notice any clouding and the sound is phenomenal. I know I'm dragging this up again, but the sound really is exceptional for a TV, it's definitely gotten better as it's worn in.

One of my favourite test images is the 0% Pluge on Spears and Munsil. The image dims down to black, absolute black, but there's still the 2% and 4% bars in the middle with no clouding whatsoever.
I think so too. But there's no real evidence I can present. Black levels and slight banding especially Just gradually got better and better.

I've read LEDs sets settle a bit but not enough to change more than a tick or so when calibrating. Maybe the Local dimming is somehow different.
post #10464 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
This. If you cannot see it during content and only when there is a blank input screen, I would not replace it. Have you watched the world cup on the set? Is it banding free?

It's not like that when content is visible, but that was not a blank input. I took that during a loading screen, so it had input...it's just the input was supposed to be an all black screen.
post #10465 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Agreed.
If the clouding is visible with content on the screen it is an issue if clouding is not visible with content on the screen is not an issue.
My youtube startup page is cloudy just like everyone else's but not when a youtube video is playing.

A you're saying that is the screen is supposed to be black it's ok to see the white splotches?
post #10466 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's not like that when content is visible, but that was not a blank input. I took that during a loading screen, so it had input...it's just the input was supposed to be an all black screen.
Ps4 right? I have one - shouldn't be seeing that on loading/startup screens
post #10467 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Ps4 right? I have one - shouldn't be seeing that on loading/startup screens
PS4 into Onkyo 709...but yes, that is from a loading screen in Watch Dogs
post #10468 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
A you're saying that is the screen is supposed to be black it's ok to see the white splotches?
When the game is playing do you see it ?
post #10469 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 09:55 AM

No, just on that loading screen. I'm thinking I need to play a movie with a dark scene to compare.
post #10470 of 11424 Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
No, just on that loading screen. I'm thinking I need to play a movie with a dark scene to compare.
Definitely -
We can all advise you, but no one can really tell you what is right for you. If it is going to bother you, then you should return the set.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page