Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 351 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10501 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I haven't noticed any uniformity issues on mine, and I'm not about to go looking for defects either. It's only a defect if you know about it.
teeitup and RiED27880 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10502 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by luism2008 View Post
So I got my 900a and am finally happy with it
The first set from best buy had a off blue tinge that made the white look light skyblue..
That I managed to tame by using one of the recommended settings from AustinJerry ..
But then i saw a dead pixel.. and i returned it..
I got the new one and this one is more white and no dead pixels.. and I haven'y even applied the Austin settings yet ..

that was the Preamble..
presently..
My brother saw my tv and bought one. I notice the his 3d depth is way off ( i see a lot of doubling) I tried the settings in the 3D Depth Adjustment screen and it gets close but no cigar.. I moved left right far and near to make sure I was not missing the sweet spot, but it didn't improve.. so what do I compare it? Mine of course.. where the "exact" 3d bluray is played on my set the 3d looks great ..
As a reference basis we used the 3d animated disney castle and the logo for FROZEN since that is when the most obvious doubling occurs

Frozen looks sharp and 3d on mine and his looks doubledy.. even after we click on every option as the 3d movie title is on pause..

Any ideas on what it could be? ( even tho its a pain I am pushing him to return it)

Are there any other settings that we can play with to make that adjustment?

Thanks

-Luis

Anyone have any idea?
post #10503 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Anyone have any idea?
Only way to troubleshoot is to reset all settings (factory settings) on the player and the tv. Then without making any additional settings check and see. (If you are using a ps3 you may have to make hdmi/video settings to set screen size). Also try changing your glasses.
If you still have a problem id guess the panel is bad. I remember austinjerry telling me if you have a bad panel the 3d will be off everywhere.
Best of luck.
post #10504 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Anyone have any idea?

Do you and your brother have the same 3D Blu-ray player? Could be the variation in the player. I was playing around with 3D this evening. My kids complain that 3D is blurry and have refused to watch anything in 3D. Looks perfect to me. I discovered it is due to their height and position with respect to the screen. There seems to be a narrow 3D sweet spot on this TV. I have found that some of the 3D Netflix titles, particularly the older Imax ones, are blurry no matter what position I view the screen from. But the 3D Blu-ray titles look great. I also found that pausing with text on the screen is a good way to test the viewing extents of the 3D sweet spot.
post #10505 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
This forum is about to be flooded with a bunch of new 900A owners complaining about uniformity issues and no easy way to exchange.
Maybe, but if I only paid $2300, I would be much more willing to overlook some moderate clouding or banding.

Seems like they raised the price to $2500. Just enough to prevent me from wanting to return mine to bestbuy and take a chance on the panel lottery from beachcamera.
post #10506 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Just call them. They will pick up the old TV and deliver a new one. They will actually put the old TV in the box they bring the new TV in.

Thanks for this. I'll give bestbuy.com a call right now before they run out!
post #10507 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post
Maybe, but if I only paid $2300, I would be much more willing to overlook some moderate clouding or banding.

Seems like they raised the price to $2500. Just enough to prevent me from wanting to return mine to bestbuy and take a chance on the panel lottery from beachcamera.
Let see if they ship those at $2299. I hope for all that purchased they do.
post #10508 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
Let see if they ship those at $2299. I hope for all that purchased they do.
I wouldn't worry about that. They will. A lot of sellers do that on the last few of an item that sells well.
post #10509 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Interesting how they sold like hotcakes up until the price raised to $2500. I guess $2300 is the sweet spot. There is still 42 remaining.

I am also within my Best Buy return window and the thought of returning also crossed my mind. But decided saving $700 wasn't worth the risk of ending up with something worse. Plus I am hesitant of this mammoth of a TV being shipped FedEx freight cross country. I bought a KDL-65S990A (curved screen) from BuyDig.com about 3 months ago. I believe BuyDig and Beach Camera are the same company. That box was hammered when it arrived. Clearly had been laid flat at some point in the ride. Luckily the box for that TV is much thicker with more stryofoam. The 900A box is so thin for such a large TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2019.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	146201   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140527_200713_resized.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	146217  

Last edited by teeitup; 07-02-2014 at 09:18 PM.
post #10510 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post
Thanks for this. I'll give bestbuy.com a call right now before they run out!
Honestly, if all you have is blotchiness on a no background screen and no banding or clouding or flashlighting on any other color or input, I wouldn't chance it with a swap. Could it be that you have it in some type of game mode or setting where the dynamic dimming is turned off?

Not positive about this yet, but I have been playing around with settings and banding/flashlighting seems least when settings are close to standard with local dimming turned off. I would imagine vivid would make it even less noticeable. The dim backlights on these sets may be why so many have noticed it. I wonder if the edge local dimming somehow works along the same channels that we see as banding as a side effect.
post #10511 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post
Only way to troubleshoot is to reset all settings (factory settings) on the player and the tv. Then without making any additional settings check and see. (If you are using a ps3 you may have to make hdmi/video settings to set screen size). Also try changing your glasses.
If you still have a problem id guess the panel is bad. I remember austinjerry telling me if you have a bad panel the 3d will be off everywhere.
Best of luck.

We tried the same thing on both.. first was a 3d mkv connected directly to hardrive via usb and second a 3d movie on ps3 (both ps3's at same settings)..
I think I am going to go ahead and suggest him to exchange it..

Thanks
post #10512 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 09:29 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
Do you and your brother have the same 3D Blu-ray player? Could be the variation in the player. I was playing around with 3D this evening. My kids complain that 3D is blurry and have refused to watch anything in 3D. Looks perfect to me. I discovered it is due to their height and position with respect to the screen. There seems to be a narrow 3D sweet spot on this TV. I have found that some of the 3D Netflix titles, particularly the older Imax ones, are blurry no matter what position I view the screen from. But the 3D Blu-ray titles look great. I also found that pausing with text on the screen is a good way to test the viewing extents of the 3D sweet spot.
I also tried that as well.. moving around trying to find the sweet spot.. but where it became sweet then as the scene progessed blurriness ensued.. mine was fine..

Thanks
post #10513 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Honestly, if all you have is blotchiness on a no background screen and no banding or clouding or flashlighting on any other color or input, I wouldn't chance it with a swap. Could it be that you have it in some type of game mode or setting where the dynamic dimming is turned off?

Not positive about this yet, but I have been playing around with settings and banding/flashlighting seems least when settings are close to standard with local dimming turned off. I would imagine vivid would make it even less noticeable. The dim backlights on these sets may be why so many have noticed it. I wonder if the edge local dimming somehow works along the same channels that we see as banding as a side effect.

What is the actual name of the local dimming option? I thought gaming turned everything off by default. I can see if this persists during a movie and also try to switch modes when the ps4 is connected.
post #10514 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
yes.. I bought it fro best buy.com and they exchanged with a new one. I found my defect within the 15 days tho.. Just call and ask

Anything I can do to test the panel to find defects? This is my first LCD in a while. I had a plasma prior and ran the slides and what not, but I didn't think there was a process for LCDs.
post #10515 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
What is the actual name of the local dimming option? I thought gaming turned everything off by default. I can see if this persists during a movie and also try to switch modes when the ps4 is connected.
LED dynamic control. Normally you will want it on. In general, it should help remove clouding on dark screens in addition to improving contrast, but not flashlighting or banding. I was just hypothesizing maybe its implementation causes some banding and flashlighting, but I would not turn it off unilaterally.

I just checked my set and saw similar patterns to your picture, but I can only see them under non-material conditions, such as when I turn out the lights and launch the youtube app, for the first few seconds before it loads. Then something switches on (probably local dimming) and the background gets inky uniform black.

So if anyone wants to really see the pattern of your screen, turn off all your lights, go to home, apps, and launch the youtube app. I would guess the majority would not see a uniform black screen.

I think one of the recent firmware updates might have sped up the launch time, but I didn't apply that update yet and mine still takes about 7 seconds. BTW, the audio from high quality official music videos on youtube is outstanding on these speakers.

Quote:
Anything I can do to test the panel to find defects? This is my first LCD in a while. I had a plasma prior and ran the slides and what not, but I didn't think there was a process for LCDs.
It's probably the same as plasma, but other than checking for dead pixels or noticeable banding or clouding, I don't see the point in looking for defects in any other conditions than just by watching various samplings of normal material that you will use the TV for.

Last edited by scottman; 07-02-2014 at 11:46 PM.
post #10516 of 12251 Old 07-02-2014, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Fwiw the 2nd YouTube opening screen (not the logo, that's fine-right before the first three vid preview boxes pop up) is also something that got way better since I got the set, and is now goodish but not superb uniformity by any means. Lasts only 2secs or so lol. That may be the worst image I can pull up across all of my 6+ sources.

There are a few of us who have had their sets over a year now - and I don't think different settings has helped eliminate some of the aberrations by their own. Something else has gone on, slow enough so that it wasn't suddenly better but over time where it's hard to notice anything daily.

...Although my current settings are definitely the best I've dialed in, period.

So what I'm saying is if it's close enough or acceptable-especially if it's the no signal screen that's bothering you--- keep it- the days of playing the panel lottery on house money are coming to an end quickly and all you'll get is refurbs and returns.
Mdjones9137 likes this.

Last edited by flinchn; 07-03-2014 at 12:03 AM.
post #10517 of 12251 Old 07-03-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
LED dynamic control. Normally you will want it on. In general, it should help remove clouding on dark screens in addition to improving contrast, but not flashlighting or banding. I was just hypothesizing maybe its implementation causes some banding and flashlighting, but I would not turn it off unilaterally.

I just checked my set and saw similar patterns to your picture, but I can only see them under non-material conditions, such as when I turn out the lights and launch the youtube app, for the first few seconds before it loads. Then something switches on (probably local dimming) and the background gets inky uniform black.

So if anyone wants to really see the pattern of your screen, turn off all your lights, go to home, apps, and launch the youtube app. I would guess the majority would not see a uniform black screen.

I think one of the recent firmware updates might have sped up the launch time, but I didn't apply that update yet and mine still takes about 7 seconds. BTW, the audio from high quality official music videos on youtube is outstanding on these speakers.

It's probably the same as plasma, but other than checking for dead pixels or noticeable banding or clouding, I don't see the point in looking for defects in any other conditions than just by watching various samplings of normal material that you will use the TV for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Fwiw the 2nd YouTube opening screen (not the logo, that's fine-right before the first three vid preview boxes pop up) is also something that got way better since I got the set, and is now goodish but not superb uniformity by any means. Lasts only 2secs or so lol. That may be the worst image I can pull up across all of my 6+ sources.

There are a few of us who have had their sets over a year now - and I don't think different settings has helped eliminate some of the aberrations by their own. Something else has gone on, slow enough so that it wasn't suddenly better but over time where it's hard to notice anything daily.

...Although my current settings are definitely the best I've dialed in, period.

So what I'm saying is if it's close enough or acceptable-especially if it's the no signal screen that's bothering you--- keep it- the days of playing the panel lottery on house money are coming to an end quickly and all you'll get is refurbs and returns.
Thanks for the heads up guys. When I get home after work I will check that setting. I know I at least have it on Low on most of my configs, but I can't remember what it is set to on the Game mode that I customized. The screen did have input from the PS4. I assume the youtube thig may be different as the TV is whats loading the app and there may be a short time where there is no input as the app loads...but my PS4 would be different I would think. Maybe on a game console video out is muted sometimes? I have no idea...

As far as the TV goes I would think if Best Buy exchanged it that I would get a new set and not a refurb. I would at least hope so...Best Buy couldn't do it over the phone tonight as there was only one store in my area that had it in stock. They advised me to call back tomorrow and they could contact the store and set up a return/exchange. Before I call them back I'm going to try view a few movie scenes to see if the issue persists. Any suggestions?
post #10518 of 12251 Old 07-03-2014, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up guys. When I get home after work I will check that setting. I know I at least have it on Low on most of my configs, but I can't remember what it is set to on the Game mode that I customized. The screen did have input from the PS4. I assume the youtube thig may be different as the TV is whats loading the app and there may be a short time where there is no input as the app loads...but my PS4 would be different I would think. Maybe on a game console video out is muted sometimes? I have no idea...

As far as the TV goes I would think if Best Buy exchanged it that I would get a new set and not a refurb. I would at least hope so...Best Buy couldn't do it over the phone tonight as there was only one store in my area that had it in stock. They advised me to call back tomorrow and they could contact the store and set up a return/exchange. Before I call them back I'm going to try view a few movie scenes to see if the issue persists. Any suggestions?
Best buy will give you a brand new set. It is Sony that gives out refunds.
post #10519 of 12251 Old 07-03-2014, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Best buy will give you a brand new set. It is Sony that gives out refunds.
The one i bought from Sony after exchanging my 55" was brand new from factory and it has no banding, uniformity issues on loading screens or dead pixels. If it was a used set or a refund the person who returned it must have had issues. LOL
post #10520 of 12251 Old 07-03-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 222
FWIW, if I enable the Game scene select on my 55" it seems to disable the dynamic LED backlight, even if it's set to standard, which is when clouding becomes obvious on dark images.
post #10521 of 12251 Old 07-03-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
The one i bought from Sony after exchanging my 55" was brand new from factory and it has no banding, uniformity issues on loading screens or dead pixels. If it was a used set or a refund the person who returned it must have had issues. LOL
I think in your case you returned a tv and then bought a new one so it came in a new box. If you call them for a replacement, they give you a certified refurb. At least that is the box they come in. They may be new or they may be refurbs, but from my experience they appear brand new in packaging and quality.

Next week I should have a replacement 900a, and it will be the last one I try before going to the 900b. While banding has been better with each set, it is still very noticeable.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #10522 of 12251 Old 07-03-2014, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can anyone in the Washington DC area recommend a place to calibrate the 65x900a?
post #10523 of 12251 Old 07-03-2014, 06:49 AM

Ok guys. I made a black JPEG on the computer and set it as my background. There are no issues if I view that. Is that an actual valid test?
post #10524 of 12251 Old 07-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Ok guys. I made a black JPEG on the computer and set it as my background. There are no issues if I view that. Is that an actual valid test?
Try white and grey also - the uniformity issues I had with mine were obvious on the grey, but not black.

Sony XBR-65X900A
Onkyo TX-NR809
Martin Logan Motion 20 (front) // Martin Logan Motion 30 (center) // Martin Logan Motion 4 (surround) // Martin Logan Electromotion IC (in ceiling, rear)
Martin Logan Dynamo 700W
Xbox One // HTPC Network // SageTV Server // Ceton Cablecard
post #10525 of 12251 Old 07-03-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugabone View Post
Well, I will let everyone know when my set comes in. I know Bestbuy bought a large stock from Sony, Its very possible Beach Camera did the same. It wont be hard to tell if the set is refurbished and there will be over a 150 dissatisfied buyers. I'm sure I am not the only here who bought one.
I pulled the trigger and bought one over the Sharp q+ TVs. I am only sad about having to go down 5" but I guess it isn't that big of a deal. Now I just need to find a reputable company to calibrate it here in VA / DC.
post #10526 of 12251 Old 07-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_purdue View Post
I pulled the trigger and bought one over the Sharp q+ TVs. I am only sad about having to go down 5" but I guess it isn't that big of a deal. Now I just need to find a reputable company to calibrate it here in VA / DC.
There's gotta be an ISF board here on AVS. (Can't check for you atm sorry)
post #10527 of 12251 Old 07-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Just got a call from Sony tech support about the HDMI2 audio issue on the X1. Could barely understand the guy but he insisted engineering told him that I use the optical out from the X1 and to my AVR. When I told him there was no such port, he mumbled that they would "continue to progress."
post #10528 of 12251 Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
There's gotta be an ISF board here on AVS. (Can't check for you atm sorry)
Thank you. I was able to google ISF AVS Forums and messaged several of the guys. I didn't know they were called ISF.
post #10529 of 12251 Old 07-03-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have a Quick question guys.
Do we an option to choose different video modes in same input?
If you watching the Cable/dish on Input 1, and watching game (espn) quick change to Game mode, and when you watching Moive, change it to Cinema mode etc..( I am not even sure, whether we can pre set the different modes for ONE input.
post #10530 of 12251 Old 07-03-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutikanti View Post
I have a Quick question guys.
Do we an option to choose different video modes in same input?
If you watching the Cable/dish on Input 1, and watching game (espn) quick change to Game mode, and when you watching Moive, change it to Cinema mode etc..( I am not even sure, whether we can pre set the different modes for ONE input.
You can set the input to current or common, which is all sources. You could set a setting for cinema or game and toggle them on the same input.

The memory stores the settings for each scene.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page