Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 352 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10531 of 12388 Old 07-03-2014, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have had the 900a for two months now and it meets my expectations. I was looking to move to a larger tv and followed many forums for the past year. I finally pulled the trigger at 3999 and would do so again. At 2299 it is a steal. I have had a 55 active 3D for 3 years and the passive on this set is a real plus. I cannot find anything that I do not like with this tv. I just hope that 4K blu-ray will show up at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 12388 Old 07-03-2014, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I think in your case you returned a tv and then bought a new one so it came in a new box. If you call them for a replacement, they give you a certified refurb. At least that is the box they come in. They may be new or they may be refurbs, but from my experience they appear brand new in packaging and quality.

Next week I should have a replacement 900a, and it will be the last one I try before going to the 900b. While banding has been better with each set, it is still very noticeable.
Best of luck with this next set. I know its a hastle having to exchange such a large tv over and over. Hopefully this one is just right. It would be a shame if you have to move up to active 3D from the excellent passive on this set.The new model has great PQ as well it seems but there are reports of some banding as well on their thread. That's something to consider. good luck and keep us posted.
post #10533 of 12388 Old 07-03-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Best of luck with this next set. I know its a hastle having to exchange such a large tv over and over. Hopefully this one is just right. It would be a shame if you have to move up to active 3D from the excellent passive on this set.The new model has great PQ as well it seems but there are reports of some banding as well on their thread. That's something to consider. good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks! Coming from always owning plasmas this is the first time I have experienced the "lottery" and it stinks

I hope it is band free b.c everything else rocks. The blacks are the best I have seen on a LED.
post #10534 of 12388 Old 07-03-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can anyone re-supply calibration settings for the Sony XBR-65X900A? I have gone through 147 pages of this thread and unable to locate them. I am positive that they must exist by now.
post #10535 of 12388 Old 07-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_purdue View Post
Can anyone re-supply calibration settings for the Sony XBR-65X900A? I have gone through 147 pages of this thread and unable to locate them. I am positive that they must exist by now.
Here, then scroll down to "DISPLAY SETTINGS." Download, save and print the PDF.

Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread

Courtesy Austin Jerry

Lee
wase4711 likes this.
post #10536 of 12388 Old 07-03-2014, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post
Ok guys. I made a black JPEG on the computer and set it as my background. There are no issues if I view that. Is that an actual valid test?
I think you are overthinking it and going to an extreme to find problems you wouldn't notice, but anything you do can be considered a valid test. I agree grey and white would probably be more of a problem for this set, since that is where you will see banding and flashlighting along the top. But I saw the same thing on a demo x900B. You can also watch the world cup as the camera pans across the field to notice banding if you really want to torture yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutikanti View Post
If you watching the Cable/dish on Input 1, and watching game (espn) quick change to Game mode, and when you watching Moive, change it to Cinema
I think game mode is more for videogames and not sports. I think there is actually a sports scene select mode if I remember correctly. The 900B even has a dedicated "football" button lol.
post #10537 of 12388 Old 07-03-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutikanti View Post
I have a Quick question guys.
Do we an option to choose different video modes in same input?
If you watching the Cable/dish on Input 1, and watching game (espn) quick change to Game mode, and when you watching Moive, change it to Cinema mode etc..( I am not even sure, whether we can pre set the different modes for ONE input.
I hit the options button on remote
Scene select lets you change the settings
Auto does not work for me so i use cinema for everything except sports - which is sports setting
Game is for gaming and turns off all processing that can create lag time and should be used for video games

Some guys say we shouldn't change our settings for sports but i paid for my TV and i can set inaccurate colors that pop for my sports if i want.

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 07-03-2014 at 02:22 PM.
post #10538 of 12388 Old 07-03-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk1947 View Post
I have had the 900a for two months now and it meets my expectations. I was looking to move to a larger tv and followed many forums for the past year. I finally pulled the trigger at 3999 and would do so again. At 2299 it is a steal. I have had a 55 active 3D for 3 years and the passive on this set is a real plus. I cannot find anything that I do not like with this tv. I just hope that 4K blu-ray will show up at some point.
I too am hopeful that 4k blu ray happens - this report from last week makes streaming 4k sound like a dream rather than a reality
http://www.tvpredictions.com/4k062614.htm

I may have to hop on the 900b forum to see if anyone has streamed any 4k Netflix successfully yet.
post #10539 of 12388 Old 07-03-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
I too am hopeful that 4k blu ray happens - this report from last week makes streaming 4k sound like a dream rather than a reality
http://www.tvpredictions.com/4k062614.htm

I may have to hop on the 900b forum to see if anyone has streamed any 4k Netflix successfully yet.
Streaming 4k is definitely not the answer. It still requires way more speed than most people have. 4k sales will be better this year, but a new media format is what could really help it take off.
post #10540 of 12388 Old 07-03-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Just watched Frozen 3D. Not a trace of crosstalk. This TV rocks.
Pixel Dude and RiED27880 like this.
post #10541 of 12388 Old 07-03-2014, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG335XI View Post
Try white and grey also - the uniformity issues I had with mine were obvious on the grey, but not black.
Update....
I made a White, Light Grey, Dark Grey & Red jpeg. On the grey slides if I stared long enough I could possibly make out a couple areas that were lighter, but as hard as I was staring it might have just been my eyes lol. I haven't noticed any issues when viewing content and now that I repositioned it all of the ghosting and cross talk I saw at first is gone as well. I think I have a good panel. It's just that reading stuff on here sometimes can make you hyper-critial about things and sometimes (like in my case) blow something a little out of proportion. I did double check my PS4 and while using that I had it on Game mode and of course, as stated by someone else in this thread, local dimming was disabled. I switched to the 'General' scene select that I had customized and all is well. I believe I will probably only use 'Game' mode for competitive multiplayer as I like the way it looks with some of the image processing turned on. I didn't notice any spots or banding on the Youtube app or anything else. Thanks again for all of your help and recommendations! I'll now resume reading the thread from start to finish....I'm only on page 55..

On a side note I pre-ordered the X10. Does any one know what stuff is going to come preloaded? I read at CES that Amazon Instant partnered with Samsung. Has anyone heard anything about Amazon Instant 4K also being available for Sony when it comes out? As a PSN+ subscriber and avid gamer I know Sony sometimes has sales on their content. Have any of the X1 owners seen sales on any of the content thats been offered over the past year? Also how much are TV Shows? I read about pricing on the movies being $30-$35...maybe I just haven't read far enough into the thread, but I figured I would ask. Thanks again everyone!
post #10542 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Update....
I made a White, Light Grey, Dark Grey & Red jpeg. On the grey slides if I stared long enough I could possibly make out a couple areas that were lighter, but as hard as I was staring it might have just been my eyes lol. I haven't noticed any issues when viewing content and now that I repositioned it all of the ghosting and cross talk I saw at first is gone as well. I think I have a good panel. It's just that reading stuff on here sometimes can make you hyper-critial about things and sometimes (like in my case) blow something a little out of proportion. I did double check my PS4 and while using that I had it on Game mode and of course, as stated by someone else in this thread, local dimming was disabled. I switched to the 'General' scene select that I had customized and all is well. I believe I will probably only use 'Game' mode for competitive multiplayer as I like the way it looks with some of the image processing turned on. I didn't notice any spots or banding on the Youtube app or anything else. Thanks again for all of your help and recommendations! I'll now resume reading the thread from start to finish....I'm only on page 55..

On a side note I pre-ordered the X10. Does any one know what stuff is going to come preloaded? I read at CES that Amazon Instant partnered with Samsung. Has anyone heard anything about Amazon Instant 4K also being available for Sony when it comes out? As a PSN+ subscriber and avid gamer I know Sony sometimes has sales on their content. Have any of the X1 owners seen sales on any of the content thats been offered over the past year? Also how much are TV Shows? I read about pricing on the movies being $30-$35...maybe I just haven't read far enough into the thread, but I figured I would ask. Thanks again everyone!
I think it is the same stuff preloaded on the x1. Just a bunch of 2-15 minute videos.
post #10543 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Update....

Awesome - i believe the majority of people that have issues with the set can all be attributed to the settings they are using - lets face it - there are a ton of them to track.

The x10 answers are all here on the Sony site:
http://store.sony.com/sony-4k-ultra-...pfm%3Dcategory

Here is a CNet article on it by Kaz that says no preloaded content per Sony - at least Sony is consistent in contradicting themselves.
http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-fm...-media-player/
I would be interested once you get the x10 how you like it.
I am waiting a while before i get a media player - probably will get one for xmas.

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 07-04-2014 at 06:00 AM.
post #10544 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Awesome - i believe the majority of people that have issues with the set can all be attributed to the settings they are using - lets face it - there are a ton of them to track.

The x10 answers are all here on the Sony site:
http://store.sony.com/sony-4k-ultra-...pfm%3Dcategory

Here is a CNet article on it by Kaz that says no preloaded content per Sony - at least Sony is consistent in contradicting themselves.
http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-fm...-media-player/
I would be interested once you get the x10 how you like it.
I am waiting a while before i get a media player - probably will get one for xmas.
Maybe the content is not preloaded, but there are about 50 free titles in the Sony store. That is the probably what they mean.
post #10545 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Maybe the content is not preloaded, but there are about 50 free titles in the Sony store. That is the probably what they mean.
Could be. It is their typical convoluted jargon.
If Sony didn't make awesome TVs i would not be dealing with them.
post #10546 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If Sony didn't make awesome TVs i would not be dealing with them.
Ain't that the truth.

In typical Sony fashion, they've finally acknowledged that the early UK builds will need a HDCP 2.2 hardware upgrade (https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/4k-Hardware-Upgrade) yet when you ring them on the number provided the CSR keeps rabbiting on about HDMI 2.0 and that the TV doesn't need any hardware upgrades.

One hand doesn't know what the other is doing? Thats-a Sony!
Mdjones9137 likes this.
post #10547 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Ain't that the truth.

In typical Sony fashion, they've finally acknowledged that the early UK builds will need a HDCP 2.2 hardware upgrade (https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/4k-Hardware-Upgrade) yet when you ring them on the number provided the CSR keeps rabbiting on about HDMI 2.0 and that the TV doesn't need any hardware upgrades.

I also remember people not being able to get the upgrade unless they bought the x1, which is just absolute bull.
post #10548 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I also remember people not being able to get the upgrade unless they bought the x1, which is just absolute bull.
To give SUK a tiny bit of credit, it appears as if we Britishers don't need to purchase the X5 to get the upgrade done, which I'm very happy about because I didn't wanna buy it anyway.
post #10549 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Ain't that the truth.

The UK will get to experience the incompatibility issues with the x5 that the US experienced last year with the x1. 399 euros seems steep for Netflix 4k though.

I still say Sony owes us all this player for free.
They sold it free at xmas here in the states last year bundled with the TV - 2 months after i bought my TV.
So they have already given it away.

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 07-04-2014 at 07:28 AM.
post #10550 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The UK will get to experience the incompatibility issues with the x5 that the US experienced last year with the x1. 399 euros seems steep for Netflix 4k though.

I still say Sony owes us all this player for free.
They sold it free at xmas here in the states last year bundled with the TV - 2 months after i bought my TV.
So they have already given it away.
Heh. I don't think I'm owed an X5, although a discount would be nice. No, what pisses me off is that not only is the B series far cheaper at launch than the A series was, Sony are offering the wireless subwoofer for free AND offering a 1 in 5 chance to win a PS4. What did we euro A series owners get offered a year ago? A free 5 year guarantee. Whoop de ****ing do.
post #10551 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Heh. I don't think I'm owed an X5, although a discount would be nice. No, what pisses me off is that not only is the B series far cheaper at launch than the A series was, Sony are offering the wireless subwoofer for free AND offering a 1 in 5 chance to win a PS4. What did we euro A series owners get offered a year ago? A free 5 year guarantee. Whoop de ****ing do.
This is the paragraph that I consider to be misleading when i bought the TV. This is from a sony site in their own words.
The second sentence is what is misleading.

Sony 4K Ultra HD TV owners are the first in the world to be able to enjoy hit Hollywood movies in 4K Ultra HD, using the Sony 4K Ultra HD Media Player (sold separately). Sony 4K TVs are also ready to support the next 4K video formats, such as 60p 4K sports video, that will become possible using the new HDMI® 2.0 specification. A convenient and free Internet firmware update will be available late 2013
post #10552 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For EU costumers:
I've contact the spanish Bravia costumer service and upgrade is scheduled for monday 21st July 2014, so i'm sure in all EUcontries they are ready for this.

You can check it here for Spain:
https://www.sony.es/support/es/4k-Hardware-Upgrade

I love this TV!
post #10553 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is the paragraph that I consider to be misleading when i bought the TV. This is from a sony site in their own words.

Sony 4K Ultra HD TV owners are the first in the world to be able to enjoy hit Hollywood movies in 4K Ultra HD, using the Sony 4K Ultra HD Media Player (sold separately). Sony 4K TVs are also ready to support the next 4K video formats, such as 60p 4K sports video, that will become possible using the new HDMI® 2.0 specification. A convenient and free Internet firmware update will be available late 2013
What, the bit about the firmware? That's referring to the HDMI 2.0 upgrade, nothing more.
post #10554 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is all true. HDMI 2.0 was just a firmware update. The hardware upgrade that early buyers need is for HDCP 2.2. That has to do with copy right protection and is needed for the Sony media player.
post #10555 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by didacgf View Post
For EU costumers:
I've contact the spanish Bravia costumer service and upgrade is scheduled for monday 21st July 2014, so i'm sure in all EUcontries they are ready for this.

You can check it here for Spain:
https://www.sony.es/support/es/4k-Hardware-Upgrade

I love this TV!
Sony.es are far more clued up than their idiotic UK counterparts, it seems.
post #10556 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
That is all true. HDMI 2.0 was just a firmware update. The hardware upgrade that early buyers need is for HDCP 2.2. That has to do with copy right protection and is needed for the Sony media player.
Oh i know what 2.0 is and does - it is this part of that sentence

Sony 4K TVs are also ready to support the next 4K video formats
Not true at all
post #10557 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh i know what 2.0 is and does - it is this part of that sentence

Sony 4K TVs are also ready to support the next 4K video formats
Not true at all
Well it does support them just not streaming. They never advertised that 😁
post #10558 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
post #10559 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Man this conversation goes on and on...
As long as their are new buyers it will continue haha. Next year it will be what the B model lacks and so on. We are all early adopters and the future of 4k standards is very unconfirmed. As long as you can view the content, which we can, we should all be good for some years.

I am actually more peeved that the wireless sub is not compatable. It should be a simple software update b.c the hardware is all in place.
post #10560 of 12388 Old 07-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I'm just happy the upscaling is as good as it is. Excellent black level pure whites achievable, no color push. (Way better than my plasma Panny it replaced, even though it was great panel 5 years ago--in all respects especially because there is defeatable ABL). 3d of course.

I even have a workaround for the X1 audio problem (pull the HDMI1 wire briefly out of the TV) so 4k content for what's out there is really brilliant. Until someone convinces me that 4k streams at a great bitrate and good content is available then I'll stand pat.

Happy Independence Day
bruceames and Mdjones9137 like this.

Last edited by flinchn; 07-04-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page