Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 354 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10591 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
So when you measure your output using Warm1, how close does it come to the optimal value of 6500K? And what value does Warm2 measure?
Well that's a problem. My Spyder3 is malfunctioning. I've considered picking up your package actually. Truth is, I spent a year constantly in the menus and right now I don't feel the need to play anymore. You know I always point people to your settings and give you credit where it's due.

But I know you'd agree with me if you could see what I see - forget color, shadow and blacks alone. I'm staring at my Oppo screen saver right now and the panel is off for all intents and purposes except the logo. I cannot achieve that with any temp but warm1. (50 brightness - +1 brightness on the Oppo)

I've seen quoted deviations of up to 10% on the same production run. So I've never tried to argue with you other than to assert that shared settings can only go so far.

Last edited by flinchn; 07-05-2014 at 12:36 PM.
flinchn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10592 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
But if the two devices are still connected to the same internets, then what does it matter if it goes through another HDCP handshake on the way?

FYI, some enterprising folks in the UK have gotten the X1 working on a US VPN even though the X9 TV still does not recognise the 4K unlimited app, they use an android tablet to act as the app (in place of the TV doing it) to control the X1, and it works fine. So as long as that double internet connection is taking place on two devices, you're set, i.e. it shouldn't matter if anything else is in the chain or even if the TV can't show the app.
I can dig that. I suppose HDCP 2.2 pass through might be solid enough on that AVR
flinchn is offline  
post #10593 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Well, you will find out soon enough. I don't know why you are so excited about this. What difference does it make if the video goes directly from the player to the display, or is routed through the AVR?
One less cable to use? lol possibly avoiding the audio issues associated with the X-1..?

More-so because I can do away with my HDMI switch (nice, but gives me a headache frequently with it's handshake issues), two more HDMI cables (beyond that of the media player) and with the dual HDMI out's on the AVR I have more configuration options. Doesn't really fall into the X900A realm of things, but you asked. So yeah, pretty excited to get back there and clean things up a tad and streamline things...

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-05-2014 at 04:15 PM.
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10594 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
It's less pissing about with several cables for a start, and a lot of folks seem to have had trouble getting everything to handshake correctly. I had the same experience when using the split 4K (upscaled) output from the S790 Blu-ray, the HDMI CEC kept switching the amp to the TV input instead of staying on HDMI whatever. You could say 'well, switch CEC off then!' but I really likes that feature, see.
I use CEC between my AVR and my TV *only* so my AVR switches to TV/CD input automatically when using TV apps (and my X1 audio when I can't be bothered with 5.1ch) which I have cleverly mapped TV/CD input to Optical from the TV and not HDMI.

But I know CEC screws with the X1 audio bug even when Bravia sync is off because if I unplug HDMI1 and put it back in its fine. Makes no sense I know. I even bought an HDMI cable without the CEC pin and tried that all over the chain. No joy.
flinchn is offline  
post #10595 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Member
 
viiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Looks like the passive 3D XBR-79X900B might be 540p in 3D mode like the 55" X900A. As it's such a big TV I'm perplexed

https://m.store.sony.com/products/27-XBR79X900B
viiv is offline  
post #10596 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by viiv View Post
Looks like the passive 3D XBR-79X900B might be 540p in 3D mode like the 55" X900A. As it's such a big TV I'm perplexed

https://m.store.sony.com/products/27-XBR79X900B
Sorry don't see where you are getting that. The one guys review? Probably doesn't know that passive with 4k is HD to each eye.
flinchn is offline  
post #10597 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Wouldn't bet on it. It needs both the direct handshake and the 2 network connections or no dice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
But if the two devices are still connected to the same internets, then what does it matter if it goes through another HDCP handshake on the way?

FYI, some enterprising folks in the UK have gotten the X1 working on a US VPN even though the X9 TV still does not recognise the 4K unlimited app, they use an android tablet to act as the app (in place of the TV doing it) to control the X1, and it works fine. So as long as that double internet connection is taking place on two devices, you're set, i.e. it shouldn't matter if anything else is in the chain or even if the TV can't show the app.
Just got back from RC Willey, 4th of July deal, no sales tax and a military discount.... Not to bad out the door (Though they had a TX-NR828 on clearance for $750 that I almost picked up instead)... I'll try hooking up the X-1, but as previously mentioned it wasn't working properly before, so my replacement should be here Mon or Tues, but I'm curious anyway.

I wish the X-1 was working properly so I could definitively answer this question. On a side note, my replacement X-1 was sent out because there was a handshake issue between the TV and media player. I would also tend to agree with Geoff, shouldn't matter theoretically if it's run through the AVR before hitting the display, as long as the HDCP chain isn't broken ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-07-05 16.12.27.jpg (169.6 KB, 23 views)
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10598 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Just got back from RC Willey, 4th of July deal, no sales tax and a military discount.... Not to bad out the door (Though they had a TX-NR828 on clearance for $750 that I almost picked up instead)... I'll try hooking up the X-1, but as previously mentioned it wasn't working properly before, so my replacement should be here Mon or Tues, but I'm curious anyway.

I wish the X-1 was working properly so I could definitively answer this question. On a side note, my replacement X-1 was sent out because there was a handshake issue between the TV and media player. I would also tend to agree with Geoff, shouldn't matter theoretically if it's run through the AVR before hitting the display, as long as the HDCP chain isn't broken ....
<Thank you for your service>
TweakerInWA likes this.
flinchn is offline  
post #10599 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
RiED27880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by viiv View Post
Looks like the passive 3D XBR-79X900B might be 540p in 3D mode like the 55" X900A. As it's such a big TV I'm perplexed

https://m.store.sony.com/products/27-XBR79X900B
I also dont see anything on that link that would suggest that the 79X900B cant produce full HD per eye in passive3D like our 65X900A can. That would be ridiculous on Sony's part.
RiED27880 is offline  
post #10600 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
I also dont see anything on that link that would suggest that the 79X900B cant produce full HD per eye in passive3D like our 65X900A can. That would be ridiculous on Sony's part.
Yes it would. But not much more ridiculous than switching to active on the 65" B. It's like Sony or other manufactures don't care at all about 3D anymore and is letting the panel makers decide whether it's going to be active or passive.
RiED27880 likes this.
bruceames is online now  
post #10601 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Yes it would. But not much more ridiculous than switching to active on the 65" B. It's like Sony or other manufactures don't care at all about 3D anymore and is letting the panel makers decide whether it's going to be active or passive.
As long as the theaters demand expensive tickets for 3d films, there will be subsequent Blurays even if they are a bit tricky to find as vendor or market exclusives.

The theaters have as much pull as the studios for what gets out there in regards to format -and way more than TV manufacturers. Sony's spinoff company can make their own decisions based on their profit margins but that doesn't mean there won't be content coming our way. (yes, even from Sony Pictures)

I actually designed and lead the project to put together the MPAA's anti-piracy system a few years back - during the writer's strike- (you can still send a tip to them and emails flow through the interface we built) You would be amazed how much power the theaters have amongst the other stakeholders. The MPAA is much more a consortium, piracy prevention and lobbying arm than just a rating body. The easiest way to fight piracy, I maintained, was to put out 0-day releases right to homes in the best quality and encoding available (who would watch cams 3 weeks later?) They said theaters would die. They need 3d tickets.

Last edited by flinchn; 07-05-2014 at 07:24 PM.
flinchn is offline  
post #10602 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 67
So amazingly enough the the Onkyo actually fixes the HDMI handshake issue between the TV and player I was having... Everything sync's right up and loads the 4K unlimited app flawlessly (unlike the last two weeks). I can browse all of my downloaded clips and movies, but when I go to play a video the screen goes black, no video or audio, but I can Fast FWD-Pause-Stop Etc.... Must be missing something in the setup of the AVR or TV...??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-07-05 19.38.13.jpg (151.1 KB, 22 views)
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10603 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,831
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
So amazingly enough the the Onkyo actually fixes the HDMI handshake issue between the TV and player I was having... Everything sync's right up and loads the 4K unlimited app flawlessly (unlike the last two weeks). I can browse all of my downloaded clips and movies, but when I go to play a video the screen goes black, no video or audio, but I can Fast FWD-Pause-Stop Etc.... Must be missing something in the setup of the AVR or TV...??
So, do you have the player connecting through the AVR, or going directly to HDMI4 on the display?
AustinJerry is online now  
post #10604 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,831
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Second: the black squares in the background are set at 16 and 17 respectively, i.e. the darkest square is at the very bottom of the 16-235 video range. If you're seeing the lighter square, that means that the display isn't clipping the next level up from video black, so you're seeing every bit of shadow detail possible.

But the 2% and 4% bars will remain on screen at either 49 or 50 brightness, so you're only losing 1% of black performance @ 49. When I set my 55" to 49 brightness on the 0% pluge, if I look closely I can still *just* make out the two sets of squares, so I've been been watching movies @ 49 and they look great.

One other thing to consider is the Smooth Gradation, because this will clip the 16/17 range too. Set brightness to 50 then turn the SG from off to low, and the processing smooshes together the squares. I always used it to combat banding, but the encoding's getting so bad on Blu-rays (UK ones anyway) that it doesn't make a difference, and the good encodes don't need it anyway.
I confirmed that Smooth Gradation indeed alters the pattern. I normally have Smooth Gradation turned off. Stacy Spears provided the following feedback regarding the pattern of squares on the test screen: Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray 2nd Edition.

After looking at the test again, and based on the feedback, I have returned to a Brightness setting of 50.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #10605 of 11460 Old 07-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
So, do you have the player connecting through the AVR, or going directly to HDMI4 on the display?
Through HDMI 3 on the AVR (2.0/HDCP 2.2), then to HDMI 4.....Over the last two weeks the player wouldn't sync with the TV at all, kept getting a "Failed to connect to 4K media player" error message that threw various error codes... The 4K tech's from Sony had me try everything over the phone until they eventually threw in the towel and said they were just going to send me a new one. Running it through the AVR however resolves that issue, now I just need to figure out how to get the Video and Audio sorted... Guess I'll start through the process of deduction, I'll unplug everything except the 4K player and see if that changes anything. To be honest I think there's a conflict between everything running out to the TV over the HDCP 2.2 output...I mean I have my Cable/Amazon Fire/XBOX One & 360/Oppo/4K Media player all using that same output to HDMI 4 on the TV, and all work fine other than the 4K player...Guess we'll see..

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-05-2014 at 09:10 PM.
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10606 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
thalazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by viiv View Post
Looks like the passive 3D XBR-79X900B might be 540p in 3D mode like the 55" X900A. As it's such a big TV I'm perplexed

https://m.store.sony.com/products/27-XBR79X900B
He mistakenly thinks that his active 3D Samsung showed 4K to each eye and this one being 1080p per eye means it's 3D is halved. Like other's have said when viewing 3D on these TV"S the resolution is 1080p per eye usually wether it's active or passive 3D. Only certain models like the 55x900a shows 540p per eye.
thalazy is offline  
post #10607 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Through HDMI 3 on the AVR (2.0/HDCP 2.2), then to HDMI 4.....Over the last two weeks the player wouldn't sync with the TV at all, kept getting a "Failed to connect to 4K media player" error message that threw various error codes... The 4K tech's from Sony had me try everything over the phone until they eventually threw in the towel and said they were just going to send me a new one. Running it through the AVR however resolves that issue, now I just need to figure out how to get the Video and Audio sorted... Guess I'll start through the process of deduction, I'll unplug everything except the 4K player and see if that changes anything. To be honest I think there's a conflict between everything running out to the TV over the HDCP 2.2 output...I mean I have my Cable/Amazon Fire/XBOX One & 360/Oppo/4K Media player all using that same output to HDMI 4 on the TV, and all work fine other than the 4K player...Guess we'll see..
Please tell me you aren't running your cable through the Xbox One? (Maybe its fine sounds scary to me) I have a PS4 but a major decision -since I love my 360- was not having my sat feed going through the console for a lot of features. And I have a 360 Kinect=Was not impressed. Except for bowling.

Truth be told, I only play madden on the PS4 with any regularity though. Maybe that will be my 4k streaming solution one day. I always seem to go back to Oblivion/Fallouts/Skyrim.

Last edited by flinchn; 07-06-2014 at 01:43 AM.
flinchn is offline  
post #10608 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swanage, Engerland
Posts: 2,374
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I confirmed that Smooth Gradation indeed alters the pattern. I normally have Smooth Gradation turned off. Stacy Spears provided the following feedback regarding the pattern of squares on the test screen: Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray 2nd Edition.

After looking at the test again, and based on the feedback, I have returned to a Brightness setting of 50.
You have your gamma at 2.4, right? So I can see why you'd keep it at 50, you need a touch more brightness in the lower registers. But mine's at 2.2, i.e. it's a slightly brighter image, so the 49 brightness doesn't obliterate the squares entirely.

And, after reading Stacey's post, I was actually gonna say in my other post that the other pluge patterns with more light (which is something closer to what a real world signal would have) will render the squares virtually invisible anyway. I know that's easy to say after the fact, but still.
Geoff D is offline  
post #10609 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 05:33 AM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Please tell me you aren't running your cable through the Xbox One? (Maybe its fine sounds scary to me) I have a PS4 but a major decision -since I love my 360- was not having my sat feed going through the console for a lot of features. And I have a 360 Kinect=Was not impressed. Except for bowling.

Truth be told, I only play madden on the PS4 with any regularity though. Maybe that will be my 4k streaming solution one day. I always seem to go back to Oblivion/Fallouts/Skyrim.
Nah, but I did try it out when the Xbox One first hit the market of course ... It got old pretty quick though, having to have everything powered up just so the wife could watch Jeopardy or Entertainment Tonight. Big mistake by Microsoft not making the HDMI pass-through capable on the Xbox One IMO As for gaming..Don't play anything on the Xbox One really..I have Titan Fall, Forza and AC, but I'm still addicted to Gears of War on the 360, just broke into the top 100 (96) on GOW Judgement, it's the worst of the series IMO, but it's Gears. There are more people still playing Gears 3 then there are playing Judgement....Wish Epic would have stuck with the development of the series, and I really wish they would hurry up and come out with Gears for the Xbox One platform, as they have by releasing the Halo remastered "Master Chief" collection for the One....

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-06-2014 at 05:51 AM.
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10610 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,831
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Through HDMI 3 on the AVR (2.0/HDCP 2.2), then to HDMI 4.....Over the last two weeks the player wouldn't sync with the TV at all, kept getting a "Failed to connect to 4K media player" error message that threw various error codes... The 4K tech's from Sony had me try everything over the phone until they eventually threw in the towel and said they were just going to send me a new one. Running it through the AVR however resolves that issue, now I just need to figure out how to get the Video and Audio sorted... Guess I'll start through the process of deduction, I'll unplug everything except the 4K player and see if that changes anything. To be honest I think there's a conflict between everything running out to the TV over the HDCP 2.2 output...I mean I have my Cable/Amazon Fire/XBOX One & 360/Oppo/4K Media player all using that same output to HDMI 4 on the TV, and all work fine other than the 4K player...Guess we'll see..
So the obvious question is, for the sake of process of elimination, did you try connecting the player directly to HDMI4 on the display? I would think that finding a successful connection and working in the other direction might be the better approach.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #10611 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 05:49 AM
Member
 
Topless Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Maybe the content is not preloaded, but there are about 50 free titles in the Sony store. That is the probably what they mean.
Are the 50 free titles just short clips? I wonder if they will give a free movie download like they do with the X1. 10 preloaded movies made the price a little harder to swallow, but after thinking about it $475 for just Netflix streaming seems like a lot for an early adopter tax. The only reason I was thinking about it is because I think disc based media is not going to happen until early 2016 probably. I then read about phones with h.265 encoding being available late this and next year....suddenly the cost of the X10 seemed to be too high. Thoughts?


Last edited by Topless Stang; 07-06-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Topless Stang is offline  
post #10612 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 06:01 AM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
So the obvious question is, for the sake of process of elimination, did you try connecting the player directly to HDMI4 on the display? I would think that finding a successful connection and working in the other direction might be the better approach.
Nope, not yet...Started watching some crazy flick called "Seven Crazy Psychopaths" (or something like that) on Cinemax last night and fell asleep....As for connecting directly to 4 from the player, I've had nothing but issues since day one with the player connecting to the TV.. One day it works fine, then the next 13 day's it won't connect regardless of what I do, then randomly one day it will work again. I could try it, but at this point it's kind of moot, should have the new X-1 here tomorrow..But for the heck of it I'll give it a shot once I get some coffee flowing through my veins...
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10613 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,831
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 650
I meant with the new X1. The common issue that has been reported with the X1 is the audio stability when connecting the player's audio output to the AVR. I haven't seen any reports of video stability/HDMI handshake issues when connecting the player directly to the display, which leads me to believe you may have a hardware issue with your current player, which is probably why you are getting a new one.

All I am saying is that with the new player, you should try the recommended connection if you can't pass video through the AVR.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #10614 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I meant with the new X1. The common issue that has been reported with the X1 is the audio stability when connecting the player's audio output to the AVR. I haven't seen any reports of video stability/HDMI handshake issues when connecting the player directly to the display, which leads me to believe you may have a hardware issue with your current player, which is probably why you are getting a new one.

All I am saying is that with the new player, you should try the recommended connection if you can't pass video through the AVR.
Which is why I find it odd that the player when connected through the AVR works flawlessly, meaning no problems syncing with the TV....Whereas if I had just tried connecting it straight to HDMI4 I would get repeated connection failures...

So where does the problem really exist....?? Gotta love HDMI !!!
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10615 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post
Are the 50 free titles just short clips? I wonder if they will give a free movie download like they do with the X1. 10 preloaded movies made the price a little harder to swallow, but after thinking about it $475 for just Netflix streaming seems like a lot for an early adopter tax. The only reason I was thinking about it is because I think disc based media is not going to happen until early 2016 probably. I then read about phones with h.265 encoding being available late this and next year....suddenly the cost of the X10 seemed to be too high. Thoughts?

4K H.265 decoding on Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 which is currently available. The 810 is due soon.
As it stands right now, the x10 will not come with any free movies.
Mattopotamus is online now  
post #10616 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post
I then read about phones with h.265 encoding being available late this and next year....suddenly the cost of the X10 seemed to be too high. Thoughts?
All about convenience IMO... Personally I'd just like to hit a 4K button on my remote and instantly be taken to available 4K content to play..If there's nothing there of any interest, I'd like to open up my cabinet and pull out my 4K Blu-Ray of Avatar or Star Wars and sit back and take it all in (again)..... While it's great that cell phones are implementing H265 decoding, I would prefer to keep my HT contained within the HT enviornment and not have to go around hooking things up to watch a movie... Functional yes, but I wish they'd just get this sorted and start making disks ... No way 4K will survive if they think online streaming is the answer for content. For example (Sony in particular) If I want to rent a movie to watch tonight, I think it's ridiculous that I should of had the foresight to start downloading it yesterday to watch today, and this is on a gigabit connection???? Seriously, who thinks that is right?? lol !!! Just get it sorted..Another example of putting the cart before the horse in the AV industry..Go figure..

Edit: I know you can stream a select few titles (like 5) one of which is a TV series.... Other than that it has to be downloaded...

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-06-2014 at 10:09 AM.
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10617 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,831
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Which is why I find it odd that the player when connected through the AVR works flawlessly, meaning no problems syncing with the TV....Whereas if I had just tried connecting it straight to HDMI4 I would get repeated connection failures...

So where does the problem really exist....?? Gotta love HDMI !!!
Correct me if I am wrong, but not getting any video output is not what I would call "works flawlessly".
AustinJerry is online now  
post #10618 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but not getting any video output is not what I would call "works flawlessly".

Correct (or incorrect if you prefer), which is why to clarify that I specifically wrote "meaning no problems syncing with the TV"
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10619 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
All about convenience IMO... Personally I'd just like to hit a 4K button on my remote and instantly be taken to available 4K content to play..If there's nothing there of any interest, I'd like to open up my cabinet and pull out my 4K Blu-Ray of Avatar or Star Wars and sit back and take it all in (again)..... While it's great that cell phones are implementing H265 decoding, I would prefer to keep my HT contained within the HT enviornment and not have to go around hooking things up to watch a movie... Functional yes, but I wish they'd just get this sorted and start making disks ... No way 4K will survive if they think online streaming is the answer for content. For example (Sony in particular) If I want to rent a movie to watch tonight, I think it's ridiculous that I should of had the foresight to start downloading it yesterday to watch today, and this is on a gigabit connection???? Seriously, who thinks that is right?? lol !!! Just get it sorted..Another example of putting the cart before the horse in the AV industry..Go figure..

Edit: I know you can stream a select few titles (like 5) one of which is a TV series.... Other than that it has to be downloaded...
I would agree with you except on 2 points:

Give me 3d Avatar on our passive sets over 4k transfer

If you've never heard of it, check out Star Wars (IV) : Revisited - it's an absolutely stellar fan edit, with complete color correction and many surprises. I won't watch official the Bluray over that burned DVD, ever. That's how good it is. Empire: Revisited comes out this year.
flinchn is offline  
post #10620 of 11460 Old 07-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Member
 
Topless Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
As it stands right now, the x10 will not come with any free movies.
So you pay $499 for the capability to buy movies. My only concern is without preloaded movies this box just seems way over priced for what it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
All about convenience IMO... Personally I'd just like to hit a 4K button on my remote and instantly be taken to available 4K content to play..If there's nothing there of any interest, I'd like to open up my cabinet and pull out my 4K Blu-Ray of Avatar or Star Wars and sit back and take it all in (again)..... While it's great that cell phones are implementing H265 decoding, I would prefer to keep my HT contained within the HT enviornment and not have to go around hooking things up to watch a movie... Functional yes, but I wish they'd just get this sorted and start making disks ... No way 4K will survive if they think online streaming is the answer for content. For example (Sony in particular) If I want to rent a movie to watch tonight, I think it's ridiculous that I should of had the foresight to start downloading it yesterday to watch today, and this is on a gigabit connection???? Seriously, who thinks that is right?? lol !!! Just get it sorted..Another example of putting the cart before the horse in the AV industry..Go figure..

Edit: I know you can stream a select few titles (like 5) one of which is a TV series.... Other than that it has to be downloaded...
I'm all for owning a 4K Bluray player that will also offer H.265 decoding, but I'm also thinking that even the 1st 4K Bluray Player won even be close to $500. It's just a tough pill for me to swallow without the 10 movies. To me 10 movies @ $30 is at least $300 in potential value I can see, leaving $200 in perceived cost for the 4K player. Without that it sort of looses it's perceived value....at least for me.
Topless Stang is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off