Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 355 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10621 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Newbie
 
didacgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear all,

Does any one of you know if there is any HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 compatible switch? I've seen DVDO QUICK6 but I think do not supports HDCP 2.2.

Thank you!
didacgf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10622 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Meh. Give me Harmy's Despecialised versions anyday. THAT'S how Star Wars should be. No tinkering, no fudging, not by Lucas and certainly not by some anonymous hack who thinks he's 'improving' Star Wars when the irony is he's no better than Lucas for ****ing with such a classic movie.
We will have to disagree. Frame by frame better than the theatrical. I dunno how empire will be because I consider that perfect. but not having blue snow on Hoth will be nice.

Last edited by flinchn; 07-06-2014 at 12:02 PM.
flinchn is offline  
post #10623 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Well, for anyone who cares: I've spent the past two weeks deliberating over a new TV to replace an eight-year-old Sharp 37" Aquos that's been reliable but seems to have experienced some darkening on the right side. Time to retire it to the nephew's room.

At first, I was firmly in the plasma camp, even considering the dubious option of buying a used Kuro off of Craig's List from someone out of state. Sensing that wouldn't end well, I then shifted my attention to the Samsung F8500, with the F8000 tugging on my pants due to a more attractive bezel. Also wasn't crazy about the plasma heat. I have a small living room, and it could potentially make a difference.

The reason I'm posting here is because I stumbled across the XBR55x900A and was very intrigued by the premise of 4K for an affordable price, even with content very limited at the moment. Also in its favor: very nice design, no need for a separate sound system (I'm not an audiophile), and the idea up-conversion could potentially make for a better picture across other sources.

So: ordered the 900A today and got what I believe to be a solid deal at $1895. I was flirting with the 850A but I think the speakers/aesthetics were worth the additional $300 (could've gotten the 850A for $1597). Also ordered the X10, which is due on 7/16. I know it's overpriced, but I'm not adverse to paying $8 for a 4K movie rental when Time-Warner charges $5 for HD.

After so many years with the same set, it just felt like I wasn't making a big enough leap by going to a high-end plasma. IMO, Netflix is going to make a big push for 4k in the coming year, re-scanning 35mm content. Honestly, if and when their four new Marvel series are available in 4k -- and there's no reason why not -- I think that'll be dam-breaker for the market, coupled with Vizio's P series making 4K displays affordable.

Hope I made the right choice! Will check in once I get my set to offer thoughts if anyone is interested. Quick question, though: I'd like to wall mount. Any recommendations?
Renzo12 is offline  
post #10624 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo12 View Post
Well, for anyone who cares: I've spent the past two weeks deliberating over a new TV to replace an eight-year-old Sharp 37" Aquos that's been reliable but seems to have experienced some darkening on the right side. Time to retire it to the nephew's room.

At first, I was firmly in the plasma camp, even considering the dubious option of buying a used Kuro off of Craig's List from someone out of state. Sensing that wouldn't end well, I then shifted my attention to the Samsung F8500, with the F8000 tugging on my pants due to a more attractive bezel. Also wasn't crazy about the plasma heat. I have a small living room, and it could potentially make a difference.

The reason I'm posting here is because I stumbled across the XBR55x900A and was very intrigued by the premise of 4K for an affordable price, even with content very limited at the moment. Also in its favor: very nice design, no need for a separate sound system (I'm not an audiophile), and the idea up-conversion could potentially make for a better picture across other sources.

So: ordered the 900A today and got what I believe to be a solid deal at $1895. I was flirting with the 850A but I think the speakers/aesthetics were worth the additional $300 (could've gotten the 850A for $1597). Also ordered the X10, which is due on 7/16. I know it's overpriced, but I'm not adverse to paying $8 for a 4K movie rental when Time-Warner charges $5 for HD.

After so many years with the same set, it just felt like I wasn't making a big enough leap by going to a high-end plasma. IMO, Netflix is going to make a big push for 4k in the coming year, re-scanning 35mm content. Honestly, if and when their four new Marvel series are available in 4k -- and there's no reason why not -- I think that'll be dam-breaker for the market, coupled with Vizio's P series making 4K displays affordable.

Hope I made the right choice! Will check in once I get my set to offer thoughts if anyone is interested. Quick question, though: I'd like to wall mount. Any recommendations?
I think you will be happy. The 55" version does not have 1080p 3D like the 65" version though
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #10625 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I think you will be happy. The 55" version does not have 1080p 3D like the 65" version though
3D has actually never been a consideration for me. Don't have any real interest in it. Something I might briefly play with. Just wanted some semblance of future-proofing in an attractive package.
Renzo12 is offline  
post #10626 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Member
 
Artjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We purchased our XBR55x900A in March, and love it.

We used some of the same reasoning you did, including that the speakers are better than most and that 3D, while nice, it is not a driving reason to purchase. The passive glasses are an advantage and 3D blu ray does look just fine but blu ray 3d titles remain expensive or hard to find.

Good luck on your purchase, that is a great price!

Sorry can't help on the wall mounting question other than it does not look like it would be too difficult.
Artjohn is offline  
post #10627 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Senior Member
 
teeitup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo12 View Post
Quick question, though: I'd like to wall mount. Any recommendations?
As far as wall mounts, I have a old Sanus VMPL50B and have been very happy with it. It doesn't specifically state it will work with a 65" but I can confirm the vesa pattern works with the 65" 900A and it is rated up to 130lbs.
http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Classic-...dp_ob_title_ce


I would also consider the Chief Fusion Series a premium mount and would consider it if I was buying a new wall mount for versatility and ease of use.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER


If your a Costco member, I saw in the recent coupon book they are having a sale on their MW mounts beginning July 10th. Not sure what the prices will be but the ad said the prices would range from $5 to $60 off.
http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?...rd=mountjuly14
teeitup is online now  
post #10628 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post
So you pay $499 for the capability to buy movies. My only concern is without preloaded movies this box just seems way over priced for what it does.



I'm all for owning a 4K Bluray player that will also offer H.265 decoding, but I'm also thinking that even the 1st 4K Bluray Player won even be close to $500. It's just a tough pill for me to swallow without the 10 movies. To me 10 movies @ $30 is at least $300 in potential value I can see, leaving $200 in perceived cost for the 4K player. Without that it sort of looses it's perceived value....at least for me.
I think the first 4K Blu-Ray players won't be anywhere near the price of the initial run of Blu-Ray players.....I don't think it's going to take much as far as production costs go to take a current Blu-Ray player design and implement the requirements necessary to play a 4K disk. (HDMI 2.0/H.265 decoding) I'm sure you'll have the usual race for first to market and they'll charge an inflated price for it, but with all of the big manufacturers currently having 4K sets on the market, I'm sure the prices will be reflective of that competition, which is almost always a win for the consumer. Which I guess takes it all back around to the first thing you mentioned ($$$ for the X-1 or X-10), not to many other options, thus Sony kinda has the average consumer by the gonads unless they're willing to start thinking outside the box for other solutions...
TweakerInWA is online now  
post #10629 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everybody, hope everyone had a great 4th of July! Had a quick question.............I have a Sony 65X900A and was wondering what the right settings were to maximize 4K upscaling. I have a Sony 5800ES receiver (4k upscaling and pass thru), Sony BDP S6200 Bluray player (4K upscaling) and a Directv HD receiver. Are their settings that I should turn on or off on the TV, Bluray or receiver that allows optimum upscaling. I think I have read on here where you let the TV do the upscaling and turn those settings off on the other pieces of equipment. Do I let the receiver do the upscaling? As you can tell, I'm quite the newbie here. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
ralphcowaniii is offline  
post #10630 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphcowaniii View Post
Hi everybody, hope everyone had a great 4th of July! Had a quick question.............I have a Sony 65X900A and was wondering what the right settings were to maximize 4K upscaling. I have a Sony 5800ES receiver (4k upscaling and pass thru), Sony BDP S6200 Bluray player (4K upscaling) and a Directv HD receiver. Are their settings that I should turn on or off on the TV, Bluray or receiver that allows optimum upscaling. I think I have read on here where you let the TV do the upscaling and turn those settings off on the other pieces of equipment. Do I let the receiver do the upscaling? As you can tell, I'm quite the newbie here. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Turn off the 4k output on the blue ray player. The TV will do a better job.

It is under video settings on the 6200
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #10631 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphcowaniii View Post
Hi everybody, hope everyone had a great 4th of July! Had a quick question.............I have a Sony 65X900A and was wondering what the right settings were to maximize 4K upscaling. I have a Sony 5800ES receiver (4k upscaling and pass thru), Sony BDP S6200 Bluray player (4K upscaling) and a Directv HD receiver. Are their settings that I should turn on or off on the TV, Bluray or receiver that allows optimum upscaling. I think I have read on here where you let the TV do the upscaling and turn those settings off on the other pieces of equipment. Do I let the receiver do the upscaling? As you can tell, I'm quite the newbie here. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
The TV loves 1080p signals, how ever you get your sources to that is a good plan. (For instance I let my Oppo BD do the SD->HD upscaling for DVDs and I upscale Directv 1080i to p on my receiver) Turn off 4k upscaling on any source and let the TV do it as noted above.

On the TV:
To my knowledge, you need to have Mastered in 4k ON which necessitates the Cinema Scene select. I can see the difference clearly on a sharpness pattern.

Also in Reality Creation: most people observe 7-12 for resolution and min for noise filtering before seeing upscaling artifacts.

Last edited by flinchn; 07-06-2014 at 03:29 PM.
flinchn is offline  
post #10632 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
As far as wall mounts, I have a old Sanus VMPL50B and have been very happy with it. It doesn't specifically state it will work with a 65" but I can confirm the vesa pattern works with the 65" 900A and it is rated up to 130lbs.
http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Classic-...dp_ob_title_ce
No problem, as I got the 55XBR. This is my first rodeo with wall mounts. I'd like to go for a wall-flush look with some articulation: this Sanus move laterally, which is good if it's off-center, but I'm concerned I might mount the set and find it's too low (or high) relative to my couch. Is there such a thing as a mount that moves up and down without sticking too far out?

Also: I was thinking of going behind the wall to hide the three HDMI cables (cable, DVD, X10) and the power cord. Do I just need voltage mounting brackets and plates? Will the X10 require a new HDMI cable other than what I use for my other components?
Renzo12 is offline  
post #10633 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
teeitup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo12 View Post
No problem, as I got the 55XBR. This is my first rodeo with wall mounts. I'd like to go for a wall-flush look with some articulation: this Sanus move laterally, which is good if it's off-center, but I'm concerned I might mount the set and find it's too low (or high) relative to my couch. Is there such a thing as a mount that moves up and down without sticking too far out?

Also: I was thinking of going behind the wall to hide the three HDMI cables (cable, DVD, X10) and the power cord. Do I just need voltage mounting brackets and plates? Will the X10 require a new HDMI cable other than what I use for my other components?
I'm not aware of any low-profile mounts that allow vertical adjustment (other than small adjustments for ease in leveling).


Yes, just put a couple of low voltage brackets in-between the wall studs. Also check for any fireblocks moving vertically between your lower and upper hole with a stud finder. The X10 will need a HDMI cable connected directly to HDMI 4 on the TV. Doesn't need to be a special cable.
teeitup is online now  
post #10634 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks to flinch and Mattopotamus for your help. I will give it a try.
ralphcowaniii is offline  
post #10635 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post
So you pay $499 for the capability to buy movies. My only concern is without preloaded movies this box just seems way over priced for what it does.



I'm all for owning a 4K Bluray player that will also offer H.265 decoding, but I'm also thinking that even the 1st 4K Bluray Player won even be close to $500. It's just a tough pill for me to swallow without the 10 movies. To me 10 movies @ $30 is at least $300 in potential value I can see, leaving $200 in perceived cost for the 4K player. Without that it sort of looses it's perceived value....at least for me.

The box may be slightly overpriced but the first standalone Blu-ray players cost double that. Besides, for serious 4K content it's the only game in town (besides the hard to find X1). If you wanna play you gotta pay.
bruceames is offline  
post #10636 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Member
 
Topless Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
I think the first 4K Blu-Ray players won't be anywhere near the price of the initial run of Blu-Ray players.....I don't think it's going to take much as far as production costs go to take a current Blu-Ray player design and implement the requirements necessary to play a 4K disk. (HDMI 2.0/H.265 decoding) I'm sure you'll have the usual race for first to market and they'll charge an inflated price for it, but with all of the big manufacturers currently having 4K sets on the market, I'm sure the prices will be reflective of that competition, which is almost always a win for the consumer. Which I guess takes it all back around to the first thing you mentioned ($$$ for the X-1 or X-10), not to many other options, thus Sony kinda has the average consumer by the gonads unless they're willing to start thinking outside the box for other solutions...
I agree. The first players will be more expensive for sure, but I'm guessing they will probably be in the $199 - $249 range....nowhere near $500. Sony almost got me...I think I'll pick it up at Best Buy and test it out during my 45 day return period to see if it's worth it. If not, no harm no foul. I just don't see this gouging lasting for long and. I for one will be waiting for the first 4K players to come to market. Maybe at least by then AVRs will have full HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 support and I can pick up both.
Topless Stang is offline  
post #10637 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Member
 
Topless Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
The box may be slightly overpriced but the first standalone Blu-ray players cost double that. Besides, for serious 4K content it's the only game in town (besides the hard to find X1). If you wanna play you gotta pay.
I'm sorry, I just can't see the value in it any longer. I'm all for paying the early adopter tax if need be, but this is crazy. I'd rather enjoy the spectacular 3D I can watch now then pay that crazy price tag. I'm revisiting all of the 3D movies I've ever watched because the passive implementation on is set is so good. That should hopefully keep me busy until fall/winter. Not only that but the people that have paid to play aren't always happy with the content on offer. The best thing would be Netflix, but for a handful of titles? I'll sit this round out.
wase4711 and Mdjones9137 like this.
Topless Stang is offline  
post #10638 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
wase4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 97
smart move; paying 400-500 bucks to watch a show or 2 in Netflix makes absolutely no sense..

I had an X1 for "free", and sold in a few months later on Ebay for $450, so I was one of the the few that made out on that deal..but would I do it again, and pay 400+ for it?

Not in this lifetime....
wase4711 is offline  
post #10639 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post
I'm sorry, I just can't see the value in it any longer. I'm all for paying the early adopter tax if need be, but this is crazy. I'd rather enjoy the spectacular 3D I can watch now then pay that crazy price tag. I'm revisiting all of the 3D movies I've ever watched because the passive implementation on is set is so good. That should hopefully keep me busy until fall/winter. Not only that but the people that have paid to play aren't always happy with the content on offer. The best thing would be Netflix, but for a handful of titles? I'll sit this round out.
We need other 4k media players to hit the market. If Sony follows the past year 4k's pricing they will be slashing prices every 2 to 3 months. Once a real player hits the market Sony won't be able to give those away. Good move on waiting - i doubt House of Cards is going to look that much better above SuperHD anyway - even if it is 4k
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #10640 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Member
 
Topless Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
We need other 4k media players to hit the market. If Sony follows the past year 4k's pricing they will be slashing prices every 2 to 3 months. Once a real player hits the market Sony won't be able to give those away. Good move on waiting - i doubt House of Cards is going to look that much better above SuperHD anyway - even if it is 4k
Agreed. I think I'll hold off at least until fall. The x10 should drop in price. You can get an X1 on eBay now for $250 sometimes, you just have to be on the lookout.
Topless Stang is offline  
post #10641 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post
I'm sorry, I just can't see the value in it any longer. I'm all for paying the early adopter tax if need be, but this is crazy. I'd rather enjoy the spectacular 3D I can watch now then pay that crazy price tag. I'm revisiting all of the 3D movies I've ever watched because the passive implementation on is set is so good. That should hopefully keep me busy until fall/winter. Not only that but the people that have paid to play aren't always happy with the content on offer. The best thing would be Netflix, but for a handful of titles? I'll sit this round out.
Netflix 4K? No thanks, there's almost no content and what there is isn't hardly any better than 1080p, thanks to the crappy bitrates.

I want the X10 because I plan to buy a few of the Sony 4K titles like Lawrence of Arabia and It Happened One Night, as well as renting some. I don't mind paying the early adopter tax, I've done that before (although only a couple of times). We know that the price will drop fast enough. But really not faster than what the 900A has dropped. Compared the the price of the 900A itself, $500 isn't much at all to have access to at least some content for what this TV was designed for. I enjoy the 3D from this TV as much as anyone (I've purchased over 50 titles in the last 2 months in my enthusiasm for it), but I don't feel the need to deny myself native 4K content just because the media player isn't bargain-priced like the 900A was when I bought it.
bruceames is offline  
post #10642 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Member
 
Topless Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Netflix 4K? No thanks, there's almost no content and what there is isn't hardly any better than 1080p, thanks to the crappy bitrates.

I want the X10 because I plan to buy a few of the Sony 4K titles like Lawrence of Arabia and It Happened One Night, as well as renting some. I don't mind paying the early adopter tax, I've done that before (although only a couple of times). We know that the price will drop fast enough. But really not faster than what the 900A has dropped. Compared the the price of the 900A itself, $500 isn't much at all to have access to at least some content for what this TV was designed for. I enjoy the 3D from this TV as much as anyone (I've purchased over 50 titles in the last 2 months in my enthusiasm for it), but I don't feel the need to deny myself native 4K content just because the media player isn't bargain-priced like the 900A was when I bought it.
I'm not expecting bargain basement prices for new gear/tech. I've seen mediocre to decent reviews for the X1 and the majority of it's content. The way things have been going Sony hasn't exactly instill faith to me. The other shoe needs to drop. Is VP9 going to gain a foothold? Is Amazon Instant 4K going to work,with it when it gets released or will I have to buy a new player? I'm going to pick up the X10 from Best Buy since my return period is now 45 days and I can give it the once over with my own eyes.
Topless Stang is offline  
post #10643 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Newbie
 
sagarpatel1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys...I bought my 65" XBR 900A from Best Buy last week and am having minor lip-sync issues through the TV speakers. The sound and video are ever so slightly off, but I definitely notice it. I've tried looking up fixes for this on the forum, but haven't found anything solid. Any help would be appreciated as I definitely don't want to return the TV for a different model.

Also any way of changing the picture settings when streaming netflix?
sagarpatel1 is offline  
post #10644 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swanage, Engerland
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
I think the first 4K Blu-Ray players won't be anywhere near the price of the initial run of Blu-Ray players.....I don't think it's going to take much as far as production costs go to take a current Blu-Ray player design and implement the requirements necessary to play a 4K disk. (HDMI 2.0/H.265 decoding) I'm sure you'll have the usual race for first to market and they'll charge an inflated price for it, but with all of the big manufacturers currently having 4K sets on the market, I'm sure the prices will be reflective of that competition, which is almost always a win for the consumer. Which I guess takes it all back around to the first thing you mentioned ($$$ for the X-1 or X-10), not to many other options, thus Sony kinda has the average consumer by the gonads unless they're willing to start thinking outside the box for other solutions...
If Sony has any ****ing sense whatsoever then they'll integrate the 4K unlimited service into the 4K BD players so they don't piss off all the folks who've paid for 4K movies once already. This would obviously need storage, which they probably wouldn't build in to the players, but plug in a portable hard drive over USB and you're good to G O.
Geoff D is offline  
post #10645 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post
I'm not expecting bargain basement prices for new gear/tech. I've seen mediocre to decent reviews for the X1 and the majority of it's content. The way things have been going Sony hasn't exactly instill faith to me. The other shoe needs to drop. Is VP9 going to gain a foothold? Is Amazon Instant 4K going to work,with it when it gets released or will I have to buy a new player? I'm going to pick up the X10 from Best Buy since my return period is now 45 days and I can give it the once over with my own eyes.
Well that's the difference. I'm not really interested in 4K streaming, just the downloads (either rentals or purchases). I don't have much confidence the ability of 4k streaming providers to deliver respectable bitrate 4K under the current bandwidth constraints (much less that of my own). By the time that changes (if ever), than the X10 will have completely fulfilled its usefulness.

And Blu-ray 4K? I'm not holding my breath for that either.

Last edited by bruceames; 07-06-2014 at 06:03 PM.
bruceames is offline  
post #10646 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Member
 
Topless Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Well that's the difference. I'm not really interested in 4K streaming, just the downloads (either rentals or purchases). I don't have much confidence the ability of 4k streaming providers to deliver respectable bitrate 4K under the current bandwidth constraints (much less that of my own). By the time that changes (if ever), than the X10 will have completely fulfilled its usefulness.

And Blu-ray 4K? I'm not holding my breath for that either.
Well for me I know I buy gear that is destined to be replaced. I just have a feeling if I keep this I will be replacing it within the year since everything isn't finalized yet. It would be different if the resale value was even there, but it's not. Being limited to Sony sets really limits the resale? I'm not trying to justify your purchase or tell you not to buy it. I've already said twice that I planned on picking it up, it's just that my hopes aren't high as far as keeping it goes.
Topless Stang is offline  
post #10647 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post
Well for me I know I buy gear that is destined to be replaced. I just have a feeling if I keep this I will be replacing it within the year since everything isn't finalized yet. It would be different if the resale value was even there, but it's not. Being limited to Sony sets really limits the resale? I'm not trying to justify your purchase or tell you not to buy it. I've already said twice that I planned on picking it up, it's just that my hopes aren't high as far as keeping it goes.
The content is only Sony too
So its only Sony TVs with only Sony content
No thanks

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-are-son...to-themselves/
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #10648 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post
Well for me I know I buy gear that is destined to be replaced. I just have a feeling if I keep this I will be replacing it within the year since everything isn't finalized yet. It would be different if the resale value was even there, but it's not. Being limited to Sony sets really limits the resale? I'm not trying to justify your purchase or tell you not to buy it. I've already said twice that I planned on picking it up, it's just that my hopes aren't high as far as keeping it goes.
Totally see your point and the nice thing is that you have a no-risk trial option.
bruceames is offline  
post #10649 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
The content is only Sony too
So its only Sony TVs with only Sony content
No thanks

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-are-son...to-themselves/
Certainly not the best of scenarios but here we are. Curiosity will win out in my case.
bruceames is offline  
post #10650 of 12007 Old 07-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Member
 
Topless Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Certainly not the best of scenarios but here we are. Curiosity will win out in my case.
I was looking forward to rewatching Breaking Bad the most since it's spinoff will be on the air soon. None of the Sony 4K offerings stuck out as a must have....except for Spidey 2, but I need that in 3D. I'm hoping the 4K combo packs include 3D.
Topless Stang is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off