Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 356 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10651 of 11918 Old 07-06-2014, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Still no 65x900a yet. I was looking forward to spending the weekend watching 3D movies in bliss... The best buy delivery guys showed up an hour and a half early with the tv and nothing else. I mean no round stand, no remote controls or accessories. nada. They insisted I bought an open box model with nothing and they wanted to leave it flat on the ground. Reluctantly I made them take it back. So for 25 seconds I had a 65x900a in the house.

I had to make multiple calls to customer service and then speak with a manager at the BB store I bought it from. She confirmed she had the stand and accessories there and could not explain what happened. So I am now scheduled for a second delivery date with a promise of a $58 reduction as an apology. Mistakes can happen but this is a big ticket item.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10652 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
What 4K BD players? Do you have inside information? I don't expect 4K shiny disks until the end of 2015 at the earliest.
No, I'm just speaking on the assumption that there will be 4K BD players. I've said it before: if we're lucky there'll be a proper announcement (or at least finalised specs) at CES in January, and hopefully the hardware will be ready to rumble by Q3/Q4 2015.
post #10653 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe1 View Post
Still no 65x900a yet. I was looking forward to spending the weekend watching 3D movies in bliss... The best buy delivery guys showed up an hour and a half early with the tv and nothing else. I mean no round stand, no remote controls or accessories. nada. They insisted I bought an open box model with nothing and they wanted to leave it flat on the ground. Reluctantly I made them take it back. So for 25 seconds I had a 65x900a in the house.

I had to make multiple calls to customer service and then speak with a manager at the BB store I bought it from. She confirmed she had the stand and accessories there and could not explain what happened. So I am now scheduled for a second delivery date with a promise of a $58 reduction as an apology. Mistakes can happen but this is a big ticket item.....
Did you buy it open box? If so, they simply picked up the display and left everything else by mistake. You should have kept the TV and drove to the store to pick the box up
post #10654 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
No, I'm just speaking on the assumption that there will be 4K BD players. I've said it before: if we're lucky there'll be a proper announcement (or at least finalised specs) at CES in January, and hopefully the hardware will be ready to rumble by Q3/Q4 2015.
Hot off the press for the UK:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1297...-gets-approved

I agree CES 2015 will be the big announcements and spring 2015 if we are lucky - probably closer to Geoff's timeline though.

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 07-07-2014 at 07:51 AM.
post #10655 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I know, I just read that. Glad to see the DVB aren't dragging their heels, and to be honest I think that that broadcast specification will be VERY similar to what 4K BD starts off at, with up to 60p support, 10-bit colour and not much else in terms of HDR or WCG.

Satellite/cable providers will lead the way with broadcasts, and they always do because they don't have to worry about having their electronics built inside TVs, they can just replace their respective HD boxes for UHD ones. Sky were the first to get HD going in the UK, and hopefully they can get something cooking re: UHD broadcasts, sooner rather than later. (It took aaaaages to get terrestrial HD broadcasts, requiring a big restructuring of the DVB-T spec, and it'll be just as painful to get HEVC-compressed UHD over the UK terrestrial airwaves.)

Last edited by Geoff D; 07-07-2014 at 08:58 AM.
post #10656 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I know, I just read that. Glad to see the DVB aren't dragging their heels, and to be honest I think that that broadcast specification will be VERY similar to what 4K BD starts off at, with up to 60p support, 10-bit colour and not much else in terms of HDR or WCG.

Satellite/cable providers will lead the way with broadcasts, and they always do because they don't have to worry about having their electronics built inside TVs, they can just replace their respective HD boxes for UHD ones. Sky were the first to get HD going in the UK, and hopefully they can get something cooking re: UHD broadcasts, sooner rather than later. (It took aaaaages to get terrestrial HD broadcasts, requiring a big restructuring of the DVB-T spec, and it'll be just as painful to get HEVC-compressed UHD over the UK terrestrial airwaves.)
Blah. The US will not see 4k broadcast anytime soon. Maybe we will get 1080p with the new codec.
post #10657 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post
I was looking forward to rewatching Breaking Bad the most since it's spinoff will be on the air soon. None of the Sony 4K offerings stuck out as a must have....except for Spidey 2, but I need that in 3D. I'm hoping the 4K combo packs include 3D.
I think Better Call Saul got pushed to next year fwiw
post #10658 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 191
From this morning:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/tel...-4k-tv-1048954

"How important is HDMI 2.0 to 4K Ultra HD?

HDMI 2.0 is the latest iteration of the HDMI specification. While the existing HDMI 1.4 standard can deliver 4K video, it's limited to 30 frames per second (or 30Hz). While this is fine for most movies, broadcasters are looking for higher frame rates for TV.

HDMI 2.0 increases bandwidth up to 18Gbps and supports 4K Ultra HD at 50/60 fps, with 12-bit 4:2:2 colour (you don't need any special cables for HDMI 2.0 interconnectivity, any current high-speed cable will work). However, only Panasonic currently offers an HDMI 2.0 compatible 4K TV, in the shape of the TX-L65WT600.

So where does that leave the remaining first generation 4K sets? Well both Philips and Samsung, whose 4K panels are coupled to separate connection boxes, say they'll simply introduce new tuners which owners can upgrade to.

Sony and others are looking to implement a firmware fix; by shedding colour sub pixels they reckon they'll be able to fit high frame-rate 4K down a HDMI 1.4 pipe, most likely with 8 bit 4:2:0 colour. How visible this kludge will be remains to be seen. For what it's worth, we've seen JVC's 4K e-Shift3 projectors running 4K at the same colour resolution, and they look spectacular so the omens are good."

Lee
Pixel Dude likes this.
post #10659 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Blah. The US will not see 4k broadcast anytime soon. Maybe we will get 1080p with the new codec.
What?
1080p exists on Comcast on demand already in my area - also there is this from 3 months ago

Comcast is taking the lead with an Xfinity 4K app for Samsung UHD TVs and 4K-capable X1 set-top boxes later this year. Comcast sees UHD as part of an effort to implement high-efficiency video coding (HEVC) -- a next-generation video compression technology that is critical for delivering 4K UHD -- and expand IP bandwidth capacity. Comcast's interest is not only to add UHD to its service mix but also to push the boundaries of HDTV itself.
post #10660 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
They still charge $10/month just to get HD versions of channels. I'm scared to see what they will try to charge for UHD.
post #10661 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 11:11 AM

Darn, I was resigned to live with my moderate flashlighting and mild banding issues, but then I went and found a dead pixel and now I can't unsee it. Yes, you can see them easily on a 4k tv if you look, even when they're that small. One dark one in the lower middle on light screens and an odd looking group of 3 connected smudgy ones on reddish screens right near the middle. So the exchange game and panel lottery with bestbuy I must play. Hope the one I get isn't worse. I can imagine they must be scrounging for all the junky leftover parts at the factory to make the ones they are shipping out by now. Has anyone got a perfect recent build?
post #10662 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
What?
1080p exists on Comcast on demand already in my area - also there is this from 3 months ago

Comcast is taking the lead with an Xfinity 4K app for Samsung UHD TVs and 4K-capable X1 set-top boxes later this year. Comcast sees UHD as part of an effort to implement high-efficiency video coding (HEVC) -- a next-generation video compression technology that is critical for delivering 4K UHD -- and expand IP bandwidth capacity. Comcast's interest is not only to add UHD to its service mix but also to push the boundaries of HDTV itself.
Isn't it upscaled 1080p?
post #10663 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just got my shipping confirmation from Beach Camera on my XBR-65X900A!

They are shipping through Team Worldwide who calls you to schedule a shipping date/time.
post #10664 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
What?

Sorry, I meant more than just on demand content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post
Darn, I was resigned to live with my moderate flashlighting and mild banding issues, but then I went and found a dead pixel and now I can't unsee it. Yes, you can see them easily on a 4k tv if you look, even when they're that small. One dark one in the lower middle on light screens and an odd looking group of 3 connected smudgy ones on reddish screens right near the middle. So the exchange game and panel lottery with bestbuy I must play. Hope the one I get isn't worse. I can imagine they must be scrounging for all the junky leftover parts at the factory to make the ones they are shipping out by now. Has anyone got a perfect recent build?
That is my fear. The ones left are just not getting the same level of attention.
post #10665 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 01:29 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_purdue View Post
Just got my shipping confirmation from Beach Camera on my XBR-65X900A!

They are shipping through Team Worldwide who calls you to schedule a shipping date/time.
When is your tv scheduled? I got my confirmation July 2nd for delivery on the 10th. I guess half went out last week and the other half today.
post #10666 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugabone View Post
When is your tv scheduled? I got my confirmation July 2nd for delivery on the 10th. I guess half went out last week and the other half today.
That info is unavailable. It says to check after 10:00 EST. I am hoping I can get it the evening of Thursday July 10th or Monday July 14 but will have to see what is available. I think it ships from Edison, NJ which is only a 4 hour drive for me.
post #10667 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Picked up an XB65X900A yesterday from Best Buy. Took them up on the deal if you sign up for their credit card, so will get another 10% back in credits eventually. I think that makes it a great price for the set. Mine was made in May 2014 (Mexico). I updated firmware on it to the latest with no issues. Don't have a full system setup on it yet, but so far, impressed with the image quality. There is some uniformity anomalies, but I've seen that on every LCD I've ever owned.

The sales guy was saying that the late production X900A would support the streaming HVEC codec "per Sony tech support..." Not holding my breath, as we all know the reliability of retail sales knowledge, but it would be a nice surprise if it could.

I'm really impressed with the sound actually. It's probably the only flat panel I've seen that had truly usable sound out of the box. So much so, I'm considering going back for an XBR55X900 for the living room, where I'd like to set up a second set with minimal equipment on the wall. Having good sound support in the unit would be more valuable there than in the TV room.

So far, I have say, bang for the buck wise, this was a good deal.

I really like the X900B. I think it has a bit more pop and the flesh-tones seem a little better. The insanely expensive $$$ X950 is the bomb though. That set has it going on, hands-down. Iffin' I could justify that kind of money, I'd totally buy one.

nuke
post #10668 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
That is my fear. The ones left are just not getting the same level of attention.
Didn't you already exchange yours once or twice already? Did they get progressively worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post
Picked up an XB65X900A yesterday from Best Buy. Took them up on the deal if you sign up for their credit card, so will get another 10% back in credits eventually. I think that makes it a great price for the set. Mine was made in May 2014 (Mexico). I updated firmware on it to the latest with no issues. Don't have a full system setup on it yet, but so far, impressed with the image quality. There is some uniformity anomalies, but I've seen that on every LCD I've ever owned.

I really like the X900B. I think it has a bit more pop and the flesh-tones seem a little better. The insanely expensive $$$ X950 is the bomb though. That set has it going on, hands-down. Iffin' I could justify that kind of money, I'd totally buy one.
Care to elaborate on the uniformity issues? Banding or clouding and where? Any dead pixels?

I agree about the pop in the 900B. The 900A backlight seems muted in comparison, maybe to accomodate the quantum dot specs. By itself it looks great, but comparing directly against my xbr8 and its more capable backlight, there is some lack of metallic dazzle or "punch" on some images, particularly things like flames. The 900B I saw in store had that punch. If it had passive 3D and the same frame as the 900A, I would say it would be the perfect set, although I haven't compared black levels, where the 900A may shine. The 900A is the first set I've seen where "vivid" setting is actually tolerable.

Last edited by scottman; 07-07-2014 at 02:47 PM.
post #10669 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Didn't you already exchange yours once or twice already? Did they get progressively worse?
They actually got progressively better. I will have my 4th set on probably Monday. My current set looks much better than the others, making me think their reality pro chip was not working. A night and day difference.

I just cannot get past any form of banding. I watch way too many sports to just accept it. If I only watched movies on the set I would not care, but it is my every day TV.
post #10670 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I swear my display gets better the more I watch it. I used to have fairly noticable flashlighting across the upper right half and one spot toward the left side about 10 o'clock. I have a hard time seeing it anymore if at all. I was watching some of the 4K clips on the X1 and they look amazing. I have very minor amount of backlight bleed at corners and extreme edges but I can live with this. I debated exchanging this set at one time but glad I stuck with it. I have a April 2014 Mexico build.
bruceames likes this.
post #10671 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 56
My 900A replaced a 2010 Panny plasma (TC-P58S2) and it is leaps and bounds better than that one (not to mention 7" bigger). It's a much brighter picture, since plasmas are not very bright anyway and aren't as good as bright room TVs. I would be happy to have the brighter 900B, but honestly this TV is such a huge upgrade that I'll be happy with it for several years (normally I upgrade every 3-4 years). And I honestly would be loathe to give up the 1080p passive 3D for the brighter B (although I would still take the trade straight up, lol). In 3-4 years the 4K models in the same price range will probably destroy anything available today, so my next upgrade will be something to look forward to, regardless of how satisfied I am now.

Nice to hear comments from a few that the TV is "breaking in" and getting to look more uniform over time. Haven't noticed any uniformity issues but haven't watched any sports yet on it (that'll change when football season comes). But all in all couldn't be happier with this TV and feel so fortunate that I almost want to pinch myself! I really got a TV that sold for $7k last year?!
teeitup and Pixel Dude like this.
post #10672 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Care to elaborate on the uniformity issues? Banding or clouding and where? Any dead pixels?

I agree about the pop in the 900B. The 900A backlight seems muted in comparison, maybe to accomodate the quantum dot specs. By itself it looks great, but comparing directly against my xbr8 and its more capable backlight, there is some lack of metallic dazzle or "punch" on some images, particularly things like flames. The 900B I saw in store had that punch. If it had passive 3D and the same frame as the 900A, I would say it would be the perfect set, although I haven't compared black levels, where the 900A may shine. The 900A is the first set I've seen where "vivid" setting is actually tolerable.
No banding or obvious stuck pixels.

What I do notice is in panning scenes, some "clouding" or shading where there are fixed irregular areas of the screen itself that are inconsistent with the rest of the panel. None of them were bad enough to make me want to do anything about it. They are present in all LCD panels.

On the "breaking in" thing - after some initial settling once in final position, the "break-in" is likely in our own brains. The brain is very adept at visual correction and compensation. The human brain just trains itself to "tune out" the irregularities.

nuke
post #10673 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:

Regardless of any differences in the strength of the backlight on the two displays, a properly calibrated display will be adjusted to a luminance of 40 for a room with controlled light. If both sets are adjusted to the same value, they should look roughly the same.
bruceames and RiED27880 like this.
post #10674 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
My 900A replaced a 2010 Panny plasma (TC-P58S2) and it is leaps and bounds better than that one (not to mention 7" bigger). It's a much brighter picture, since plasmas are not very bright anyway and aren't as good as bright room TVs. I would be happy to have the brighter 900B, but honestly this TV is such a huge upgrade that I'll be happy with it for several years (normally I upgrade every 3-4 years). And I honestly would be loathe to give up the 1080p passive 3D for the brighter B (although I would still take the trade straight up, lol). In 3-4 years the 4K models in the same price range will probably destroy anything available today, so my next upgrade will be something to look forward to, regardless of how satisfied I am now.

Nice to hear comments from a few that the TV is "breaking in" and getting to look more uniform over time. Haven't noticed any uniformity issues but haven't watched any sports yet on it (that'll change when football season comes). But all in all couldn't be happier with this TV and feel so fortunate that I almost want to pinch myself! I really got a TV that sold for $7k last year?!
Yes. I came from a 58 S1. But I did pay 7k heh.

The set has improved in uniformity. I do not 'adapt' to things that bother me with PQ, for better or worse. The worst thing I noticed when I got the set: My backlight used to cause significant gray ghosts on the black 'no input' screen, for instance. Not quite as bad as some pic here, but very noticeable. Now there isn't any -a year later.
bruceames likes this.
post #10675 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 06:40 PM

Hi all, thanks for the comments on my prior posts.

While Im waiting for the second delivery visit for my 65x900a to get it right, I visited Frys today and walked out with an x1 server for $150. Its been used but has all the parts. Are you able to use this wirelessly without a LAN cable? My Tv connects to the internet wirelessly because my hard wire cable run has a problem somewhere and does not give a good connection. Will the x1 work this way? Is it worth keeping for this price? it should be loaded with the ten movies and assorted shorts. Don't know if it could be used as extra storage for the new model server.

I had read all the older posts as owners were having trouble getting it to work.

Or am I like the guy buying an 8 track player as they're getting phased out....
post #10676 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:

While Im waiting for the second delivery visit for my 65x900a to get it right, I visited Frys today and walked out with an x1 server for $150. Its been used but has all the parts. Are you able to use this wirelessly without a LAN cable? My Tv connects to the internet wirelessly because my hard wire cable run has a problem somewhere and does not give a good connection. Will the x1 work this way? Is it worth keeping for this price? it should be loaded with the ten movies and assorted shorts. Don't know if it could be used as extra storage for the new model server.

I had read all the older posts as owners were having trouble getting it to work.

The X1 does not have wireless connectivity. The issue most of us have is using the HDMI2 audio output to the AVR. The offer for 10 free movies expired long ago, so I would not hold your breath.
post #10677 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it was open box, the only way the movies are there is if the previous owner did not wipe it. Otherwise they are on that persons account.

It has to be hardwired and even so it downloads way slower than the connection you pay for. Personally, I would put that $150 towards the x10
post #10678 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Regardless of any differences in the strength of the backlight on the two displays, a properly calibrated display will be adjusted to a luminance of 40 for a room with controlled light. If both sets are adjusted to the same value, they should look roughly the same.
I agree they can both be calibrated to extremely similar pictures, but if the A is at backlight 9 and the B is at backlight 3 to hit the same level, there isn't much room on the A if you want extra pop above a "properly calibrated" set. And there are other subtle differences like I mentioned on certain objects like flame that would have extra pop on the B (although probably not as natural an image). Maybe they were just trying for plasma-like levels when they designed the A.
post #10679 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
The X1 does not have wireless connectivity. The issue most of us have is using the HDMI2 audio output to the AVR. The offer for 10 free movies expired long ago, so I would not hold your breath.

Jerry, just wondering if you (or anyone) might be able to tell me if it's possible for the H.265 decoding process to get dropped between the X-1 and TV i.e Going from X-1 -> AVR -> X900A...I'm just speculating, as I'm not to familiar with how decoding progresses through the HDMI chain, but it's the only thing I can think of that's inhibiting me from running the player through the Onkyo 737.. ? Any thoughts appreciated!!! From anyone...

Edit: Just for clarification... I can access all of the 4K content on 4K Unlimited, but as previously posted I get no picture or sound. I have access to all other functions Pause-FWD-REW-Stop, just no audio or video... Which leads me to believe it's a H.265 issue, not something related to HDCP 2.2...

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-07-2014 at 08:26 PM.
post #10680 of 11918 Old 07-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I agree they can both be calibrated to extremely similar pictures, but if the A is at backlight 9 and the B is at backlight 3 to hit the same level, there isn't much room on the A if you want extra pop above a "properly calibrated" set. And there are other subtle differences like I mentioned on certain objects like flame that would have extra pop on the B (although probably not as natural an image). Maybe they were just trying for plasma-like levels when they designed the A.
Except the A measures just below 40 and just above 40 at backlights 6 and 7 in a dark room...
I do have 3d pushed up to the max though and picture almost 100. Don't know if active needs the same bump as passive.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page