Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 359 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10741 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Here, then scroll down to "DISPLAY SETTINGS." Download, save and print the PDF.

Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread

Courtesy Austin Jerry

Lee
Thanks for reposting the info, and thanks to Austin Jerry for the settings. Plugged them into my newly arrived 65X900A and could not be happier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10742 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Well, I have updated my current settings (link in signature below). Remarkably, this renders a nearly identical picture when I compare it (eyeballing/toggling at viewing distance) to AustinJerry's settings in Cinema2 on my panel.

The only subtle difference is that it eliminates what I perceive as a noticable green push on the high end of colors/whites (ex. grass looking more like astro-turf than natural grass, green cast on near-blacks), due to employing Warm1 instead of Warm2.

Very, very close, though. YMMV-white balance settings deviate slightly between sets. I would only consider these settings applicable to the 65"-specific panel.

(I had to refresh [ctrl-f5] the screenshot below in my browser to get the newest version to come up for some reason)

Last edited by flinchn; Yesterday at 08:52 PM.
post #10743 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 626
We often have new owners post screen shots of their displays asking whether what they are showing is "normal" or "acceptable". In order for us to provide useful feedback, it would be helpful if these posters would choose one of several typical screen examples we can all relate to. I have attached screen shots of what I think are useful screens for new owners to take pictures of, and as examples of what I think "acceptable" quality levels are.

Spears&Munsil "0 % Pluge" (not sure why the vertical bars are not visible):

Typical Oppo background screen:

Typical X900 "No Signal" screen:

Black logo screen on Denon AVR:

Typical DirecTV screen saver (blurred because it is in motion):

100% white full screen test:

100% white window test:

post #10744 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
We often have new owners post screen shots of their displays asking whether what they are showing is "normal" or "acceptable". In order for us to provide useful feedback, it would be helpful if these posters would choose one of several typical screen examples we can all relate to. I have attached screen shots of what I think are useful screens for new owners to take pictures of, and as examples of what I think "acceptable"

100% white window test:

Yeah. Just looking at your white box on the bottom tells me you don't have a green tint on your high end like I do - with the same settings. I'm not sure what is going on with your 100% white full screen? Why so faded out? Hmmm.

Everything but the x1 goes through my AVR. Perhaps I need to investigate its default video processing. I know we both have a Darblet.

Your "no signal" has also improved significantly since purchase?

Update 7/09/14---Warm1 pref settings 65"

Last edited by flinchn; Yesterday at 09:01 PM.
post #10745 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Yeah. Just looking at your white box on the bottom tells me you don't have a green tint on your high end like I do - with the same settings. I'm not sure what is going on with your 100% white full screen? Why so faded out? Hmmm.

Everything but the x1 goes through my AVR. Perhaps I need to investigate its default video processing. I know we both have a Darblet.

Your "no signal" has also improved significantly since purchase?
Not sure what you mean by "faded out". If you think something is wrong, perhaps it is the camera. I have never noticed any green tint on any of my test patterns.

And I don't really think anything has improved over time with the PQ. I'm not sure that LCD technology improves over time.
post #10746 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 249
If you want to check uniformity you need to check grey scale at 5, 10 and 20 IRE. Anything ugly will show there. D-Nice has a set of slides you can down load.
post #10747 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "faded out". If you think something is wrong, perhaps it is the camera. I have never noticed any green tint on any of my test patterns.

And I don't really think anything has improved over time with the PQ. I'm not sure that LCD technology improves over time.
A full white screen should look like your window, no? I've seen plasmas fade full screen like that due to eco/ABL but not my set. If no one else sees the difference between your second to last and last pics then my eyes are just borked so bad as to give up completely.

I will say even my iPhone 5s camera cannot accurately reflect some of the nuance I want to share here sometimes - camera just isn't good enough I suppose.

My set looked a lot more like some of the people coming in and asking if the no signal screen is acceptable and now it looks a lot more like the picture you have above, that's all.
But I can't share what it looks like because the camera, again, messes with the image.

Last edited by flinchn; Yesterday at 09:32 PM.
post #10748 of 10761 Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
We often have new owners post screen shots of their displays asking whether what they are showing is "normal" or "acceptable". In order for us to provide useful feedback, it would be helpful if these posters would choose one of several typical screen examples we can all relate to. I have attached screen shots of what I think are useful screens for new owners to take pictures of, and as examples of what I think "acceptable" quality levels are.

Spears&Munsil "0 % Pluge" (not sure why the vertical bars are not visible):

Typical Oppo background screen:

Typical X900 "No Signal" screen:

Black logo screen on Denon AVR:

Typical DirecTV screen saver (blurred because it is in motion):

100% white full screen test:

100% white window test:

Thanks for this post man, very helpful. I have placed a call to Sony. Worse case scenario, they send me a brand new panel and I keep switching it out until I find THE ONE. He said since it's discontinued, I could get the 900B. Not crossing my fingers but we'll see. I will keep you all posted. My OCD side is coming out, taking advantage of the warranty since that's what it's there for.
post #10749 of 10761 Old Today, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I'm not sure what is going on with your 100% white full screen? Why so faded out? Hmmm.
I'm seeing some slight dark patches along some edges and random areas, very similar to my set and probably all of these. Under different lighting some here would probably call it clouding. And a possible stuck pixel in the bottom of the top left quadrant when fully enlarged on the screen when you reply to a post, but probably just some other artifact of the image since it looks too big to be just one.
post #10750 of 10761 Old Today, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post
I'm seeing some slight dark patches along some edges and random areas, very similar to my set and probably all of these. Under different lighting some here would probably call it clouding. And a possible stuck pixel in the bottom of the top left quadrant when fully enlarged on the screen when you reply to a post, but probably just some other artifact of the image since it looks too big to be just one.
It's possible it's the camera. I tried to take a picture with my iPhone on 100% and it was completely uniform pure white but it introduced wavy lines (as it tried to find a "face" to focus on?). Bleh. It's for selfies lol

That said, I perceive a green push on the 100% white screen he posted. So here we are.

I've been around this thread long enough now to know that anyone who doesn't fall in line or kiss ass here is ignored, marginalized or condescended to by a few other members.

In just the last week or so I've been laughed at for a fool because I use a Darblet, power center and bias lighting. We all know the 55" has a different panel (due to 3d tests) yet we all pretend our shared experiences are somehow relevant. I can't seem to convince anyone my panel does not look correct (or 'better') using the recommended settings and how long have I been banging that drum? At least half a year when I became displeased with my own WARM2 calibration.

So I'm just not going to bother anymore. Last time, a member sent me a PM and asked me to stay which was nice but I've learned all I can learn and tried to help others. I'm not perfect and my tone perhaps came off as argumentative but a lot of it was excitement. I've been on AVS for almost decade and it was nice to be excited about a costly purchase instead of being mired in a component thread bitching about defects.
post #10751 of 10761 Old Today, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's possible it's the camera. I tried to take a picture with my iPhone on 100% and it was completely uniform pure white but it introduced wavy lines (as it tried to find a "face" to focus on?). Bleh. It's for selfies lol

That said, I perceive a green push on the 100% white screen he posted. So here we are.

I've been around this thread long enough now to know that anyone who doesn't fall in line or kiss ass here is ignored, marginalized or condescended to by a few other members.

In just the last week or so I've been laughed at for a fool because I use a Darblet, power center and bias lighting. We all know the 55" has a different panel (due to 3d tests) yet we all pretend our shared experiences are somehow relevant. I can't seem to convince anyone my panel does not look correct (or 'better') using the recommended settings and how long have I been banging that drum? At least half a year when I became displeased with my own WARM2 calibration.

So I'm just not going to bother anymore. Last time, a member sent me a PM and asked me to stay which was nice but I've learned all I can learn and tried to help others. I'm not perfect and my tone perhaps came off as argumentative but a lot of it was excitement. I've been on AVS for almost decade and it was nice to be excited about a costly purchase instead of being mired in a component thread bitching about defects.
Well, I would never call you a fool for having a Darblet, power conditioner, or bias lighting, since I have all three myself.

As for the differences between the two images I posted, now I understand. I think the differences are due to my inexperience in finding the correct settings for my camera. In real life, the brightness of both images looks quite close. My camera just doesn't seem to capture the subtleties I am trying to convey.
post #10752 of 10761 Old Today, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 171
The three of us can always find solace in our X1 audio issues.
post #10753 of 10761 Old Today, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuadros86 View Post
One other question, I notice fine horizontal lines on my panel. Especially on, text or subtitles/logos. Is this normal? Up close not so much. Notice a little more on 3d.
Is yours the 55"? The lines are a side-effect of the half-res 3D FPR, they're there on every 55 X9A. Some people see them, some don't, but from a decent viewing distance (say, 9 feet) they're invisible, and even at closer distances I hardly notice them anyway, I've just got used it.

BTW there's nothing wrong with Jerry's photos, or indeed his TV. Having a bright object against a dark background will always enhance the contrast of said bright object when taking a photo (see also the Oppo logo), unlike the 100% field which is being taken at a darker exposure because it's so bright to begin with.

Last edited by Geoff D; Today at 07:01 AM.
post #10754 of 10761 Old Today, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
The three of us can always find solace in our X1 audio issues.
Spent an hour with tier2 just now. It is with "engineering" Only proven workaround is to pop the cable out between your AVR and TV. As I have been doing...

I strongly reiterated every single facet of the issue discussed amongst ourselves. I discussed my concern at how long it had apparently been with engineering. I asked to be notified when the bug was fixed in a software upgrade. That's that, then.
post #10755 of 10761 Old Today, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Say you purchase a bad set with banding and exchange it. Next you price match a camera. Then you realize your second $5,000 display is worse than your 1st. If you have been flagged for the previous return and price match you cannot exhange your bad TV because you have been put on 90 day no returns or exchanges. If they sell you 3 bad displays in a roll they should exchange every one of them.
That was not my experience at all with Best Buy. They went out of their way to make sure I was happy, period. They price matched it 3 or 4 times for me, knocking it down by $1200, and exchanged it 3 times.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #10756 of 10761 Old Today, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
That was not my experience at all with Best Buy. They went out of their way to make sure I was happy, period. They price matched it 3 or 4 times for me, knocking it down by $1200, and exchanged it 3 times.
You were lucky. If you were unlucky they would have flagged your account and you never would have been able to do the 3rd exchange. I would have no problem if they flagged it for returns but exchanges, that's why I would never make a large purchase at BB.
post #10757 of 10761 Old Today, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

I suspect no one will believe me but last night on my Oppo103 I came across something very interesting. I was pulling up test patterns in S&M2 and took a look at the 3d tests for the first time. Don't know why I hadn't until then.

Well I always wondered why I see tons of depth with 3d Blurays but next to no "before the window" or popout effects.

I know films are generally geared for depth "beyond the window" but still. Something was off. And the first 3d test confirmed it. The +1 and 0 images showed appropriate depth between them. But there was no discernable difference between -1 and 0.

This upset me. I have enjoyed all of my 3d titles greatly and still have plenty to go since my buying spree. I couldn't imagine what I had been missing with this.

I fixed it, tho. By turning off Deep Color (I had it on 36bit) on both the Oppo and my Onkyo 818 (although it was really the former that I noticed fixed it) all of the -1 images suddenly popped out of the screen discernibly. Now it wasn't like they were floating in front of my face and I could reach out and grab them, but definitely beyond the frame.

I suspect, but have not proven, that it is the Darblet that isn't playing well with deep color and a 3d signal. So I'm not sure how applicable this is to anyone else. But since it is clearly fixed on some test patterns instead of just my own eyeballs I figured I'd share it.

Lots to watch now. Adios.
teeitup likes this.
post #10758 of 10761 Old Today, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I suspect no one will believe me but last night on my Oppo103 I came across something very interesting. I was pulling up test patterns in S&M2 and took a look at the 3d tests for the first time. Don't know why I hadn't until then.

Well I always wondered why I see tons of depth with 3d Blurays but next to no "before the window" or popout effects.

I know films are generally geared for depth "beyond the window" but still. Something was off. And the first 3d test confirmed it. The +1 and 0 images showed appropriate depth between them. But there was no discernable difference between -1 and 0.

This upset me. I have enjoyed all of my 3d titles greatly and still have plenty to go since my buying spree. I couldn't imagine what I had been missing with this.

I fixed it, tho. By turning off Deep Color (I had it on 36bit) on both the Oppo and my Onkyo 818 (although it was really the former that I noticed fixed it) all of the -1 images suddenly popped out of the screen discernibly. Now it wasn't like they were floating in front of my face and I could reach out and grab them, but definitely beyond the frame.

I suspect, but have not proven, that it is the Darblet that isn't playing well with deep color and a 3d signal. So I'm not sure how applicable this is to anyone else. But since it is clearly fixed on some test patterns instead of just my own eyeballs I figured I'd share it.

Lots to watch now. Adios.
I am looking at the S&M tests, trying to duplicate what you observed. My Deep Color was set to off. I toggled it between off and 36-bit, observed several of the tests (polarity check, depth steps positive and negative), but was unable to see a difference.

I also have my AVR connected to the display using two HDMI cables. One signal path has the Darblet, and one doesn't, which allows me to test the effect the Darblet has on the signal. Switching back and forth between the two paths also showed no difference in the 3D tests.

Perhaps I am not duplicating your tests. Regardless, it is interesting that you discovered this, and that you now see improvements.
post #10759 of 10761 Old Today, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Austin, I used your recomrmded settings and they're great, thank you. Do you have recomrmded settings for 3d?
post #10760 of 10761 Old Today, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am looking at the S&M tests, trying to duplicate what you observed. My Deep Color was set to off. I toggled it between off and 36-bit, observed several of the tests (polarity check, depth steps positive and negative), but was unable to see a difference.

I also have my AVR connected to the display using two HDMI cables. One signal path has the Darblet, and one doesn't, which allows me to test the effect the Darblet has on the signal. Switching back and forth between the two paths also showed no difference in the 3D tests.

Perhaps I am not duplicating your tests. Regardless, it is interesting that you discovered this, and that you now see improvements.
Only other thing I can think of is I simultaneously went from YUV 4:4:4 or whatever that is to Auto

I've seen other reports that certain chains have trouble passing deep color through the Darblet but who knows.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page