Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 361 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10801 of 12603 Old 07-11-2014, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Please bear with me as I have read so many different threads before ordering the 65x900a a couple days ago. This x10 media server: does it come with any movies like the X1? Will it have Netfiix & Amazon (when available) 4k streaming apps? $500 bucks is a lot money (to me) for something that might be the same as the X1!!
Thanks, Gerry
The x10 comes with 50 free "titles" which are trailers and shorts from what i read. There are no movies like the x1 had. You also have to download them - nothing is preloaded.
Netflix is all that has been confirmed - so who knows if other apps will be added later? I agree the price is steep for so little content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10802 of 12603 Old 07-11-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
Avatar 3D is my favorite blu ray.
Finding Nemo and Gravity are great in 3D as well

Aye, you can't go wrong with a bit of Avatar if you want a demo-quality 3D experience.
post #10803 of 12603 Old 07-11-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 47
post #10804 of 12603 Old 07-11-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Avatar. I thought's Gravity's 3D was underwhelming. It's a stunning looking piece in terms of the actual cinematography, and the movie itself is an awesome experience, but to my eyes the 3D is mild at best.
post #10805 of 12603 Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
@ggw2000

While not the worst, the last two Harry Potter movies were converted to 3d rather sloppily- so avoid those if you are trying to make a convert of your wife. If she buys in whole-hog, you can always buy the 2 pack later. Sometimes I think I just bought them to complete the set and have a bit of Emma Watson in 3d before I have to find an import of Noah's conversion for certain non western markets...

With Avatar you are simply awash in the planet's environ. Best title out there to impress- I agree with the others.

Gravity 3d is second.

IMHO, I would then think of a couple films with robots fighting each other and big monsters. Probably not her cup of tea.

If she likes fantasy, the Hobbit movies are a bit below those standouts but still a lot of fun. There's even a love story smashed in there which I consider heresy but perhaps women like the idea of inter species forbidden romance?

I am struggling to think of the title that best employs both depth and popout if you were trying to encapsulate the whole experience. I don't think Avatar had a whole hell of a lot of the latter, but the best of the former.
Anyone have an opinion on this?
(I'm also asking this for selfish reasons because I intend to watch one of my yet-to-see 3d Blurays tonight)

Last edited by flinchn; 07-11-2014 at 07:21 PM.
post #10806 of 12603 Old 07-11-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Avatar. I thought's Gravity's 3D was underwhelming. It's a stunning looking piece in terms of the actual cinematography, and the movie itself is an awesome experience, but to my eyes the 3D is mild at best.
I agree that Avatar is the best 3D i have seen and nothing else is in the same league. My favorite bluray movie is Blade Runner but that is not in 3D - sadly - there are only 7 versions of the film - so far
post #10807 of 12603 Old 07-11-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
@ggw2000

While not the worst, the last two Harry Potter movies were converted to 3d rather sloppily- so avoid those if you are trying to make a convert of your wife. If she buys in whole-hog, you can always buy the 2 pack later. Sometimes I think I just bought them to complete the set and have a bit of Emma Watson in 3d before I have to find an import of Noah's conversion for certain non western markets...

With Avatar you are simply awash in the planet's environ. Best title out there to impress- I agree with the others.

Gravity 3d is second.

IMHO, I would then think of a couple films with robots fighting each other and big monsters. Probably not her cup of tea.

If she likes fantasy, the Hobbit movies are a bit below those standouts but still a lot of fun. There's even a love story smashed in there which I consider heresy but perhaps women like the idea of inter species forbidden romance?

I am struggling to think of the title that best employs both depth and popout if you were trying to encapsulate the whole experience. I don't think Avatar had a whole hell of a lot of the latter, but the best of the former.
Objects appear a good 5 feet out from my TV while watching Avatar - not sure if that is what you mean by popout.
post #10808 of 12603 Old 07-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I agree that Avatar is the best 3D i have seen and nothing else is in the same league. My favorite bluray movie is Blade Runner but that is not in 3D - sadly - there are only 7 versions of the film - so far
I bought Blade Runner "the final cut" - it was the very last DVD I bought. No idea where it sits in the 7 lol
post #10809 of 12603 Old 07-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Objects appear a good 5 feet out from my TV while watching Avatar - not sure if that is what you mean by popout.
Well, then.

I saw it twice in the theater and didn't notice (or remember?) much of that, but my recent experiences tell me i shouldn't really speak to this other than to ask others. I don't really want to watch Avatar or Gravity tonight tho....
post #10810 of 12603 Old 07-11-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I bought Blade Runner "the final cut" - it was the very last DVD I bought. No idea where it sits in the 7 lol
That is the one to own - it is the only version that Ridley endorses because he had full control over that. The director's cut was not really his true vision - evidently.
Some of the versions have subtle differences - voice overs to help explain the story - different endings - etc

The Final Cut contains the original full-length version of the unicorn dream, which had never been in any version, has been restored. Additionally, all of the additional violence and alternate edits from the international cut have been inserted.
post #10811 of 12603 Old 07-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

On another topic, briefly... Sony tech support called me again today and for the FOURTH time in a week told me to use optical/toslink out of the TV when using the X1 to get sound.

And I for the FOURTH time told them to stop shoveling that **** and give me surround sound with my 4k movies!
post #10812 of 12603 Old 07-11-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post
The color rendering is different than the Sammy I'm used to, but every time so far that I think I don't like it, I compare and conclude that it is the programming and not the set at fault. Lots more screen and lots more pixels show off the deficiency of the production of the source a lot more.
Same with me. Not just color, but whenever there is something I see I don't like, I fire up the xbr8 I have right next to it still and then realize it's not the set's fault.
post #10813 of 12603 Old 07-11-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
You hate the flicker effect but some people like it, which is why the Impulse setting on the Sony sets is gaining traction with gamers. The backlight blinking 'refreshes' the eye between frames, giving the images more temporal resolution which helps when playing low-res 8 or 16-bit classics.
For those who don't understand Motionflow Impulse, it blinks the backlight exactly like a CRT blinks during it's refresh. This completely eliminates sample-and-hold and because of how it blinks, it also virtually eliminates the smearing effect. With Impulse, you get a full 1080 lines of motion resolution but without any Frame Interpolation which is really bad for gaming. It is literally CRT-like motion resolution from an LCD, the effect for gamers with Impulse is actually better than plasma for gaming because there is no blue and yellow phosphor trailing like on a plasma. I had and returned a W850A from the Fry's deal a few weeks ago to buy this X900A, if you haven't gamed on a Sony TV with Impulse mode I can say that as a gamer you literally haven't lived. It's that good, and it makes all games better but especially any game with fast motion like Call of Duty or any shooter.

Which is why I'm so sad it's not available on this 4K set. The quality of the panel on this X900A blows the W850A so far out of the water that I think it reached orbit. But no Impulse in Game Mode, WHY SONY? WHY??
post #10814 of 12603 Old 07-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post
For those who don't understand Motionflow Impulse, it blinks the backlight exactly like a CRT blinks during it's refresh. This completely eliminates sample-and-hold and because of how it blinks, it also virtually eliminates the smearing effect. With Impulse, you get a full 1080 lines of motion resolution but without any Frame Interpolation which is really bad for gaming. It is literally CRT-like motion resolution from an LCD, the effect for gamers with Impulse is actually better than plasma for gaming because there is no blue and yellow phosphor trailing like on a plasma. I had and returned a W850A from the Fry's deal a few weeks ago to buy this X900A, if you haven't gamed on a Sony TV with Impulse mode I can say that as a gamer you literally haven't lived. It's that good, and it makes all games better but especially any game with fast motion like Call of Duty or any shooter.

Which is why I'm so sad it's not available on this 4K set. The quality of the panel on this X900A blows the W850A so far out of the water that I think it reached orbit. But no Impulse in Game Mode, WHY SONY? WHY??
Have you tried using a mode where impulse is available and seeing if the input lag is at all acceptable (turning everything in the menus off I would think, including SBM)? I cannot recall if anyone ever stated the input lag measurement for anything other than Game.

I play sports and RPGs almost exclusively and the last online shooter I was really into was Unreal Tournament on the PC. The thing is, even if I don't care about input lag for these types of games, how do I deal with the much dimmer picture, even with backlight and Picture maxed?

Not that I won't try it since you recommended it

Last edited by flinchn; 07-11-2014 at 09:10 PM.
post #10815 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a good point. Is it not worth trying Impulse in one of the other scene selects to see how it affects the lag?

Quote:
(I'm also asking this for selfish reasons because I intend to watch one of my yet-to-see 3d Blurays tonight)

Have you got Creature from the Black Lagoon? It's got lots of pop-outs and some of the strongest depth I've ever seen on 3D Blu-ray, it's amazing.
post #10816 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Have you got Creature from the Black Lagoon? It's got lots of pop-outs and some of the strongest depth I've ever seen on 3D Blu-ray, it's amazing.
Thats one of the few I don't have but I'll look into it.
I wouldn't have considered a black and white movie that old (at least, quite a bit before my film buff wheelhouse).
post #10817 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Jurassic Park 3D really surprised me. This is a great job of 3D conversion.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #10818 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by wk1947 View Post
Jurassic Park 3D really surprised me. This is a great job of 3D conversion.
Agreed. I really enjoyed it. Avatar is hands down the best and how to train your dragon is also great.
post #10819 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread

Quote:
Thats one of the few I don't have but I'll look into it.

I wouldn't have considered a black and white movie that old (at least, quite a bit before my film buff wheelhouse).

You wouldn't have "considered a black and white movie that old"? And just when I thought we were getting on so well. Please tell me I've misunderstood you and that I don't have to deploy the dreaded rolleyes...
post #10820 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Avatar 3D is my favorite blu ray.
Finding Nemo and Gravity are great in 3D as well
Avatar 2 is being filmed in 4K so that may be the movie that propels 4K, the way Avatar propelled 3D. I wouldn't be surprised if it creates the 4K blu ray disc. Cameron is the master of marketing - he changes technology with his movies.

Every time i play Avatar and it instructs me to turn on my glasses i just smile. We have gone beyond that technology with our awesome TVs guys !!!
post #10821 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You wouldn't have "considered a black and white movie that old"? And just when I thought we were getting on so well. Please tell me I've misunderstood you and that I don't have to deploy the dreaded rolleyes...
In a way it was my fault - I meant I wouldn't have considered the title would have awesome 3d being made in the 50s, nor would I have surmised that b/w is super effective with the technique. After some research on the film's conversion- I stand corrected.

Is the movie at all scary by today's standards? I LOVE ghost/haunted horror films, but never really got into gore, torture, possession, found footage or classic monster movies.
post #10822 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Avatar 2 is being filmed in 4K so that may be the movie that propels 4K, the way Avatar propelled 3D. I wouldn't be surprised if it creates the 4K blu ray disc. Cameron is the master of marketing - he changes technology with his movies.

Every time i play Avatar and it instructs me to turn on my glasses i just smile. We have gone beyond that technology with our awesome TVs guys !!!
I am pretty sure lots of movies are shot in 4k today. For some reason I felt like avatar was being made so it was 3D without the glasses.
post #10823 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In a way it was my fault - I meant I wouldn't have considered the title would have awesome 3d being made in the 50s, nor would I have surmised that b/w is super effective with the technique. After some research on the film's conversion- I stand corrected.

Is the movie at all scary by today's standards? I LOVE ghost/haunted horror films, but never really got into gore, torture, possession, found footage or classic monster movies.

Fair enough. There's a big misconception that old 3D stuff was all anaglyph and crappy, but they were doing it as dual-strip even then. House of Wax, dial M for Murder, they're all excellent examples of old-school 3D.

As for black lagoon, it's every bit the '50s movie, with a damsel in distress and dialogue that's so stilted and expository you'll think you're watching a George Lucas joint. But it's great fun, and when you watch it you'll see that Jaws owes it a huge debt.
nishant786 likes this.
post #10824 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I am pretty sure lots of movies are shot in 4k today. For some reason I felt like avatar was being made so it was 3D without the glasses.
Yes lots of 4k movies are being filmed but my point was that Cameron is the one who changes home theater technology with his movies.

He wants to use 48 or 60 fps.

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 07-12-2014 at 08:00 AM.
post #10825 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm. Let's just hope that Avatar 2 on 4K Blu-ray isn't held back for ages as a retailer exclusive like Avatar 3D was...
nishant786 likes this.
post #10826 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Hmmm. Let's just hope that Avatar 2 on 4K Blu-ray isn't held back for ages as a retailer exclusive like Avatar 3D was...
Yes - That is actually what is happening with 4K content right now unfortunately - which is delaying progress.
I am surprised my Avatar disc doesn't instruct me to press play on my Panasonic Player

I have an Oppo 103 - thank you very much

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 07-12-2014 at 07:58 AM.
post #10827 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Worse is the market/region exclusive 3d conversions they are pulling just to maximize theater profits in certain areas.

To get Robocop 3d you'd have to be/ speak Chinese (I know, Mandarin or something)

I have seen preorders for Noah 3d at German and Taiwanese eretailers.

(I think the phantom menace 3d bluray-before it was canned- was supposed to be a Panny exclusive with some expensive equipment)
nishant786 likes this.
post #10828 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
One other question - my wife has zero interest in 3D (although she has never seen it). I would like to buy one 3D movie for her to try. She likes movies like Avatar, Twilight, Harry Potter, or anything in that type on genre. Any suggestions?
Thanks again, Gerry
Demo 3D discs according to me

Hugo
Life of Pi
Transformers 3 (see it just for the 3D though)
Tintin
Legend of guardians

Avatar was amazing once upon a time but I dont see the wow factor anymore. Maybe because iv seen it so much.
post #10829 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post
Demo 3D discs according to me

Hugo
Life of Pi
Transformers 3 (see it just for the 3D though)
Tintin
Legend of guardians

Avatar was amazing once upon a time but I dont see the wow factor anymore. Maybe because iv seen it so much.
Transformers is incredible in 3d; even my wife was in awe with the sound/3d effects

Hugo is fantastic too, and your wife might prefer that to anything else
post #10830 of 12603 Old 07-12-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Worse is the market/region exclusive 3d conversions they are pulling just to maximize theater profits in certain areas.

To get Robocop 3d you'd have to be/ speak Chinese (I know, Mandarin or something)

I have seen preorders for Noah 3d at German and Taiwanese eretailers.

(I think the phantom menace 3d bluray-before it was canned- was supposed to be a Panny exclusive with some expensive equipment)
Hey bro im dying to get my hands on the Noah 3d blu ray. I cant imagine how good it would look on this set. Would you mind guiding me in the right direction?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com