Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 362 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10831 of 10850 Old Today, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
wase4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post
Demo 3D discs according to me

Hugo
Life of Pi
Transformers 3 (see it just for the 3D though)
Tintin
Legend of guardians

Avatar was amazing once upon a time but I dont see the wow factor anymore. Maybe because iv seen it so much.
Transformers is incredible in 3d; even my wife was in awe with the sound/3d effects

Hugo is fantastic too, and your wife might prefer that to anything else
wase4711 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10832 of 10850 Old Today, 10:25 AM
Member
 
nishant786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Worse is the market/region exclusive 3d conversions they are pulling just to maximize theater profits in certain areas.

To get Robocop 3d you'd have to be/ speak Chinese (I know, Mandarin or something)

I have seen preorders for Noah 3d at German and Taiwanese eretailers.

(I think the phantom menace 3d bluray-before it was canned- was supposed to be a Panny exclusive with some expensive equipment)
Hey bro im dying to get my hands on the Noah 3d blu ray. I cant imagine how good it would look on this set. Would you mind guiding me in the right direction?
nishant786 is offline  
post #10833 of 10850 Old Today, 10:33 AM
Member
 
DiscoSmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Appalachia
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New owner of a 65X900A. Is a viewing height of dead center with the screen ideal for 3D viewing, especially if I want to sit close? Also, of the three speakers per channel on the front of the set, does most of the sound come out of the tweeter and bottom speaker(midrange), with the top acting as a passive radiator or mid base driver?

Happy to join your community,
John
DiscoSmoke is offline  
post #10834 of 10850 Old Today, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post
Hey bro im dying to get my hands on the Noah 3d blu ray. I cant imagine how good it would look on this set. Would you mind guiding me in the right direction?
Last I saw someone reported the sites had taken down their preorder links. I can't even confirm whether it will be region free or even contain an English track. Comes out in a few weeks - maybe eBay, I'm sure we will be able to find it at a premium soon.
nishant786 likes this.
flinchn is online now  
post #10835 of 10850 Old Today, 11:19 AM
Member
 
halon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
If anyone is interested, Snowpiercer is on VOD...Google Play, Amazon, and itunes.

As for Noah, i saw that at the theater and have no desire to watch again even if only for the 3D. I didn't think movie itself was very good.
halon is online now  
post #10836 of 10850 Old Today, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSmoke View Post
New owner of a 65X900A. Is a viewing height of dead center with the screen ideal for 3D viewing, especially if I want to sit close? Also, of the three speakers per channel on the front of the set, does most of the sound come out of the tweeter and bottom speaker(midrange), with the top acting as a passive radiator or mid base driver?

Happy to join your community,
John
Bottom is woofer, tweeter in the middle, passive radiator on top.

Dual subs are at the rear. There is an audio setting for table top or wall mounted that alters the performance of the subwoofers.
wase4711 likes this.
LeeSoFl is online now  
post #10837 of 10850 Old Today, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swanage, Engerland
Posts: 2,339
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread

The sound is soooooo good on this TV. I've got mine on a stand about 5 inches from the wall and the bass is magnificent, I can actually feel it vibrate through the floor. I forgot about the stand/wall mount setup option, I'll have to change that and see if it gets any better/worse. The surround sound effect is absolutely stunning too.

I've loved proper 5.1 for the longest time, but I've seriously thought about getting rid of the whole darned lot and just keeping the TV. I would have if it wasn't for the bluray reviews I do for thedigitalfix.com (shameless plug) for which I need at least a 5.1 system to appraise the audio side of things. (If you're an audiophile whose system cost as much as a family car then feel free to scoff all you want, you dig your kit and rightly so. But having super-duper sound with speakers up the wazoo has become less and important to me over the years, which is why this TV fits the bill so well, it's got more than enough quality to keep me happy.)

And while the merits of the LCD screen wearing in are perhaps anecdotal at best, there can be no argument about the sound, because speakers need to 'wear in' to sound their best and after a year this thing's singing like a bird.

Last edited by Geoff D; Today at 01:44 PM.
Geoff D is offline  
post #10838 of 10850 Old Today, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Not that anyone really cares..But!!


I think Sony has gotta be sending me one of the new X-10 media players, as previously posted I was under the assumption that they were just replacing my X-1, with an X-1. The last time I spoke with them, they stated they were sending me a "New" (guy was stressing "new" on the phone, guess I didn't get it at the time) player and took my credit card info hostage in case I decided not to send the faulty one back, that was on the 25th of June. The tech also stated shipping would take 5-7 business day's, so I'm hoping this all adds up to them sending out an X-10 instead of an X-1... Or just wishful thinking?... I kinda prefer they style of the X-1, really differentiates it's self from all the other square boxes I already have, I guess we'll see...

On another note,

The Onkyo 737 that I picked up really didn't like to play nice with my Darbee, I would get a picture drop every 2-3 minutes and it took a little time figuring out the culprit. If I removed the Darblet no picture drop. So I decided to give the Onkyo 838 a try, so far so good, was worried I might have to remove the Darblet from my system. My first Onkyo and I'm impressed, I was worried about heat issues and possible HDMI problems. Onkyo has stated they've addressed those issues, and so far it runs cooler than my Pioneer SC-27 did... Not a bad AVR for the price point... http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...urce=prodClass

Last edited by TweakerInWA; Today at 03:31 PM.
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10839 of 10850 Old Today, 04:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Not that anyone really cares..But!!


I think Sony has gotta be sending me one of the new X-10 media players, as previously posted I was under the assumption that they were just replacing my X-1, with an X-1. The last time I spoke with them, they stated they were sending me a "New" (guy was stressing "new" on the phone, guess I didn't get it at the time) player and took my credit card info hostage in case I decided not to send the faulty one back, that was on the 25th of June. The tech also stated shipping would take 5-7 business day's, so I'm hoping this all adds up to them sending out an X-10 instead of an X-1... Or just wishful thinking?... I kinda prefer they style of the X-1, really differentiates it's self from all the other square boxes I already have, I guess we'll see...

On another note,

The Onkyo 737 that I picked up really didn't like to play nice with my Darbee, I would get a picture drop every 2-3 minutes and it took a little time figuring out the culprit. If I removed the Darblet no picture drop. So I decided to give the Onkyo 838 a try, so far so good, was worried I might have to remove the Darblet from my system. My first Onkyo and I'm impressed, I was worried about heat issues and possible HDMI problems. Onkyo has stated they've addressed those issues, and so far it runs cooler than my Pioneer SC-27 did... Not a bad AVR for the price point... http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...urce=prodClass

We care
I would be interested to know what happens to any movies you bought that are stored on the old X1 when you switch devices.
Mdjones9137 is online now  
post #10840 of 10850 Old Today, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
RiED27880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
I agree that Avatar is the best 3D i have seen and nothing else is in the same league. My favorite bluray movie is Blade Runner but that is not in 3D - sadly - there are only 7 versions of the film - so far
The Avengers has some spectacular 3D as well, and pretty much most of the Dreamworks movies like kung fu panda, megamind, and Peter Jackson's The Hobbit 1 and 2 etc. they are 3D eyecandy.
RiED27880 is offline  
post #10841 of 10850 Old Today, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
We care
I would be interested to know what happens to any movies you bought that are stored on the old X1 when you switch devices.
If you do not erase them they stay on the old device. They can be downloaded on a new device b.c they are on your Sony network account.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #10842 of 10850 Old Today, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 155
@Geoff D

Only use the TV audio and retire your surround system? With a 4k set? Are you joking or something?!!


Just winding you up mate heh

Last edited by flinchn; Today at 05:20 PM.
flinchn is online now  
post #10843 of 10850 Old Today, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
If you do not erase them they stay on the old device. They can be downloaded on a new device b.c they are on your Sony network account.
Are you sure? I purchased the X1 back when it included the ten free movies. I only downloaded a couple, and the other eight have disappeared from my SEN account as free downloads.

Have you tested your theory?
Mdjones9137 likes this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #10844 of 10850 Old Today, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Are you sure? I purchased the X1 back when it included the ten free movies. I only downloaded a couple, and the other eight have disappeared from my SEN account as free downloads.

Have you tested your theory?
I was able to reclaim a single title I deleted (Total Recall, the only film of the 10 I had removed) via my account but this was prior to the apparent cutoff at the very ass-end of last year.
flinchn is online now  
post #10845 of 10850 Old Today, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Are you sure? I purchased the X1 back when it included the ten free movies. I only downloaded a couple, and the other eight have disappeared from my SEN account as free downloads.

Have you tested your theory?
And you claimed all 10 of them? I can see if you never actually claimed the movies, but they are tied to your account and not your device. I have 2 movies, total recall and Elysium and they both are on my account.

Edit: actually 3 movies, spider man, and they are all still there.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #10846 of 10850 Old Today, 06:15 PM
Member
 
halon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I was pleasently surprised with Snowpiercer. Lead role is Chris Evans(Captain America). I rented it for $7.99 on Google Play and played thru Chromecast.
halon is online now  
post #10847 of 10850 Old Today, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
And you claimed all 10 of them? I can see if you never actually claimed the movies, but they are tied to your account and not your device. I have 2 movies, total recall and Elysium and they both are on my account.
I deleted "Salt" just now, and it says as long as it's still in the store, you can download it again. Even though it shows in the store as $29.99, it started to download.

My suggestion for anyone changing 4K players is to delete the movies from your current player and download them as an SEN member after you have your new player.
LeeSoFl is online now  
post #10848 of 10850 Old Today, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 155
So here are the 'Premium' 3d passive glasses models that I have collected for next week's 'shootout'.

I'm going in with the methodology that the greatest perceived separation of elements both 'behind' the screen and 'in front' of the screen (primarily measured in the Spears&Munsil v2 convergence tests, although i suspect I will need to do content comparisons as well) will generally trump all other attributes unless the performance is negated by an unacceptable/unwatchable flaw in another area or areas.

The reason why I'm posting this early is in case anyone might have tried one of these models and would be so kind as to share their impressions with me.


Right now I plan on comparing the following attributes. I'm well open to any other suggestions:

1a. Depth (scenery fading behind the 'window' (or frame)

1b. Popout (elements perceived to appear or protrude in front of the frame/screen.)

2. Perceived crosstalk (or other inherent or deviant PQ anomalies that negatively affect the experience) against a control group of 3d settings

3. Clarity of lens and perceived tint when measured against the colors present on the screen with the glasses off and pair to pair comparisons.

4. Frames: Glare from the light of the TV and peripheral/vertical vision coverage.

5. Build Quality / Style / Weight / Comfort


I will note the price for each model in the rundown. I don't know if I'll actually provide a complete breakdown of all the attributes above for each pair, but I will point out winners/losers or any standouts/notables in each category.

Again, a discernible performer or clear winner in 1a and 1b is basically why I'm bothering to do this. --- but I will point out anything from each pair that might be of interest.


The lineup in no particular order:

SONY 3d passive (stock glasses, 4 pairs provided in the TV box)

TrueDepth 3d (using these currently and there's very little for me to complain about)

Oakley Rocketfish

Oakley Gascan (Hobbit ed)

Look3d (Hobbit 2 ed)

GSAstore Universal

Vantage Stylish Universal

Gunnar Optiks

Polaroid Premium

Allure Eyewear

Last edited by flinchn; Today at 07:18 PM.
flinchn is online now  
post #10849 of 10850 Old Today, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
And you claimed all 10 of them? I can see if you never actually claimed the movies, but they are tied to your account and not your device. I have 2 movies, total recall and Elysium and they both are on my account.

Edit: actually 3 movies, spider man, and they are all still there.
What do you mean by "claimed"?
AustinJerry is online now  
post #10850 of 10850 Old Today, 08:03 PM
Newbie
 
pookgai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received this TV and I was was curious, in terms of 3D, does the "OU is better than SBS for passive displays" rule still apply to 4k TV's?
pookgai is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off