Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 364 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10891 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Thanks for sharing.... I can't wait to see some of these games in 4K , which has me wondering when SOny will upload them to their servers. I hope it's soon !! I noticed they were playing 4K World Cup video at my local Magnolia on the Sony 4K sets, so I'm assuming it shouldn't be long. But then again......
Those are old clips
Mattopotamus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10892 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Those are old clips

lol, guess I should have actually watched it....

I only noticed it when I was walking through as I was there researching AVR's ... Either way, I wouldn't think it should take to long eh??
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10893 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
lol, guess I should have actually watched it....

I only noticed it when I was walking through as I was there researching AVR's ... Either way, I wouldn't think it should take to long eh??
I think it is going to be a highlight video. Hopefully it is sooner rather than later.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #10894 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I think it is going to be a highlight video. Hopefully it is sooner rather than later.

I hope not, that would be ridiculous!!!!

They should IMO have at the very least the semi's, third-place and Final for viewing. Otherwise what a waste of time and resources...

Last edited by TweakerInWA; Yesterday at 05:16 PM.
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10895 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
I hope not, that would be ridiculous!!!!

The should IMO have at the very least the semi's, third-place and Final for viewing. Otherwise what a waste of time and resources...
It was a complete guess on my part. It may very well be every game. Knowing Sony though it will not be free.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #10896 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
I hope not, that would be ridiculous!!!!

The should IMO have at the very least the semi's, third-place and Final for viewing. Otherwise what a waste of time and resources...
I would think they will be available at some point as a 4k download and they probably won't be cheap.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=...m-2313778.html
TweakerInWA likes this.
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #10897 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM
Senior Member
 
everunman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1 View Post
I would wait for better players. That NTEK player people have been waiting a year for with many times promised and not delivered. Coupled with the fact that the original CEO and founder pleaded guilty to several felonies and bank fraud and hired his brother to take his place (after his admission) as CEO with no tech experience or college for that matter but he was an Ice Sculpturer. It doesn't get any stranger except in these penny stock companies. Currently selling for 8 cents. There have been a handful of deliveries to date as they promised in the beginning of July. Even though they have never sent any out for a review because they know will be canned. The original CEO said 15,000 units were already shipped to retailers back in Jan. an obvious lie. The unit uses the T4 chip which is 4 times slower than the K1 chip Nvidia replaced it with so its already obsolete.
Having said all that, i bought their NP-H1 4K player 6 months back and it hasnt missed a beat, they sent it immediately and had it in Australia within the week

Last edited by everunman; Yesterday at 05:17 PM.
everunman is offline  
post #10898 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
I would think they will be available at some point as a 4k download and they probably won't be cheap.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=...m-2313778.html
Good find,

"Tokyo, Japan – Sony Corporation and FIFA today announced that they will collaborate on a range of 4K initiatives at the 2014 FIFA World Cup™, including production of the Official 2014 FIFA World Cup™ Film in 4K Ultra HD, and produce three full matches in 4K to further promote the growth of 4K content. World football’s flagship event will be held in Brazil from 12 June to 13 July."

So three full games.... I'm assuming they won't show the third place game, if it's only three, probably the two semi's and the final....Can't wait !!! guess I'll pony up the pennies for it if need be...

Edit: Then again they might try to throw in a USA game for marketing reasons.. Guess we'll find out eventually...

Last edited by TweakerInWA; Yesterday at 05:30 PM.
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10899 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Good find,

"Tokyo, Japan – Sony Corporation and FIFA today announced that they will collaborate on a range of 4K initiatives at the 2014 FIFA World Cup™, including production of the Official 2014 FIFA World Cup™ Film in 4K Ultra HD, and produce three full matches in 4K to further promote the growth of 4K content. World football’s flagship event will be held in Brazil from 12 June to 13 July."

So three full games.... I'm assuming they won't show the third place game, if it's only three, probably the two semi's and the final....Can't wait !!! guess I'll pony up the pennies for it if need be...
Those games would be incentive for me to order the x10 over the movie Salt
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #10900 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swanage, Engerland
Posts: 2,340
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
There really are few differences between your settings and the ones I use, which is further proof that with a proper calibration, settings should be similar. One difference I found a bit peculiar was the Color setting, which I have as 59. How do you arrive at your color setting? I use the Spears&Munsil test pattern, and 45 is way off using that pattern.
59? Wow. When you say you use a test pattern, which one do you mean? Apart from checking the the contrast ramps for any clipping and/or banding, I set colour by calibrating, not by eye. I know mine's a different set to yours, but colour's an even 50 for me.

Might as well chuck in my latest 55" settings after calibration, which to my surprise produces an incredible black level, even in a completely dark room. Using an Oppo 95 set to YCbCr 8-bit (and no damned Darbee).

Cinema 2
backlight 3
contrast 90
brightness 49
color 50
Colour temp warm 2
sharpness 50
gamma 0
Reality Creation: Res 6 - Noise Min - Mi4K OFF
smooth gradation: OFF
LED control: Standard
SBM: OFF
Motionflow: TrueCinema for 60Hz content otherwise OFF for movie viewing

white balance: red gain 0, green gain 0, blue gain -3, red bias -5, green bias 0, blue bias -1

measures 41.5 fL at 100%, 142.2 cd/m2, gamma avg 2.20, colour temp avg 6512.6K, measured contrast with AVSHD on/off 4893:1, ANSI contrast 2602:1
TweakerInWA likes this.
Geoff D is offline  
post #10901 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
If you plug in settings under 2d AND, separately, 3d common, they will apply to all sources, including Apps. The only thing that will be different are the Reality Creation settings.
Are you saying settings need to be changed in both 2D and 3D in order to be consistent in the apps? In other words, if 2D common is changed but 3D settings are not, the apps won't reflect the settings? How do you change settings for 3D?

And speaking of: any recommendations on how to view 3D content? I am a complete neophyte in that area. I thought Netflix had some streaming, but I see nothing--at least, no category for it on their site or the apps. Same for any Super HD. I wonder if Time-Warner has anything to do with it. If I want to watch 3D, do I need to buy discs? T-W has a "3D Events" channel, but I have no idea what it is--it's not part of my package and I just get a blank screen.

Re: your settings, either I'm getting used to the TV or they're better (to my eyes) then AJ's. I'm really liking the picture, both from a Blu-ray source or cable. HBO had Gravity on in 1080i and it looked fantastic.

Looking forward to hopefully getting the X10 shipped this week. I would expect Sony to get them out the fastest, and that's where I ordered from, but who knows.
Renzo12 is offline  
post #10902 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
My Oppo is set to RGB Video level, and deep color is off. I do not use ARC. I have none of the issues with my Darblet that you reported.
On another note, regarding your previous comparison watching the World Cup on the 1080i ESPN feed. I was sitting here watching Star Wars Episode I on Blu-ray and the thought crossed my mind about there being any potential differences in up-scaled PQ letting your Denon upscale your Oppo source 1080p to 4K prior to the Sony processing. Something I'm sure you've probably done already...Just wondering what kind of results you had, or is the Darbee processing key once again here to keep in the path..



Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10903 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,739
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
59? Wow. When you say you use a test pattern, which one do you mean? Apart from checking the the contrast ramps for any clipping and/or banding, I set colour by calibrating, not by eye. I know mine's a different set to yours, but colour's an even 50 for me.
I use the S&M standard test patterns for color and hue, along with the colored lens. Based on my experience, while observing these test patterns and adjusting the display's color and hue controls, the correct setting is very easy to determine, and for my set it is color=59 and hue=R1. The tests are quite accurate. A value of 58 or 60 is obviously wrong.

I have said before, there could easily be differences between different displays. And keep in mind that we are basing our settings by playing test DVD's on players with slightly different color settings. I use, for example, a color setting of RGB Video, with deep color off. If your settings are different, that might account for variations in the settings.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #10904 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,739
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
On another note, regarding your previous comparison watching the World Cup on the 1080i ESPN feed. I was sitting here watching Star Wars Episode I on Blu-ray and the thought crossed my mind about there being any potential differences in up-scaled PQ letting your Denon upscale your Oppo source 1080p to 4K prior to the Sony processing. Something I'm sure you've probably done already...Just wondering what kind of results you had, or is the Darbee processing key once again here to keep in the path..



Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Sorry, I don't understand your question.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #10905 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sorry, I don't understand your question.
Have you done a comparison on the Blu-ray PQ by allowing the Denon to upscale the 1080p signal to 4K prior to sending it to the Sony, or do you still prefer to have it set to 1080 and keep the Darbee in the path. Hope that helps clear it up..

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10906 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,739
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 630
If you read my original post, that is exactly what I tested. My preference is to upscale to 1080p in the Denon, output the signal through the Darblet, and then allow the Sony to perform the final up-scale to 4K. This is the only way to preserve the Darbee enhancements, which I find very beneficial.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #10907 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
If you read my original post, that is exactly what I tested. My preference is to upscale to 1080p in the Denon, output the signal through the Darblet, and then allow the Sony to perform the final up-scale to 4K. This is the only way to preserve the Darbee enhancements, which I find very beneficial.
Gotcha, just thought it might vary if you changed sources...

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm still learning about the nitty-gritty of all this stuff. You mentioned you prefer the RGB setting on the Oppo, any experience trying YCbCr 4:2:2, or deep colour 36 bits? Just curious whether those settings have a negative or positive impact on PQ as far as the calibration standard goes...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10908 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,739
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Geoff did some experimenting with these settings. When I tried different options, I couldn't see any visual difference, but it didn't get into looking at various test screens in Spears&Munsil.

The reason I use the RGB Video setting on my Blu-ray when calibrating is that my DirecTV DVR's (HR24-500's) output video in RGB, and there is no way to change that. So, since I watch quite a bit of HD programming from DirecTV, I want my settings optimized for an RGB signal. Make sense?
AustinJerry is offline  
post #10909 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Senior Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Geoff did some experimenting with these settings. When I tried different options, I couldn't see any visual difference, but it didn't get into looking at various test screens in Spears&Munsil.

The reason I use the RGB Video setting on my Blu-ray when calibrating is that my DirecTV DVR's (HR24-500's) output video in RGB, and there is no way to change that. So, since I watch quite a bit of HD programming from DirecTV, I want my settings optimized for an RGB signal. Make sense?
Yep...



Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #10910 of 10910 Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
Member
 
kbrod1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The np-h1 (yours) and the np-1 are two different animals with completely different processors and boards. Yours cost more than three times the np-1. It is already obsolete and doubtful whether it even truly works well. I would hope the np-h1 works well for a grand. That being said, the np-1 is just a Mojo it even has the same serial number and it's a hundred cheaper.
kbrod1 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off