Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 12181 Old 08-17-2013, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The other night I was watching a movie on DirectTV and had to pause it as I went into another room as my daughter called me. By the time I inevitably came back it was well over half an hour and the scene was still frozen on the screen. I remember thinking thank G-d this is not a plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 12181 Old 08-17-2013, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

For 1080P and under, the Panasonic is the clear winner. Depends on if you need 4K as mentioned, also depends on your price point.....

Well does anybody need 4k? There is barely any content so I think most owners were probably hoping for good upcoversions..As far as buying a $700 player loaded with movies id never watch, I doubt id ever buy sonys player...

Im still undesided.......I currently own a 2006 Sony 46XBR2
post #1083 of 12181 Old 08-17-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Space View Post

Lower X9 prices and new speaker-less 4K TV's coming from Sony.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1376374963

Very smart move by Sony! I thought the price would drop by years end, not this soon. Adding the models with no side speakers is commendable.

I'd rephrase that.  Having your only 4K option to be a TV with speakers permanently part of the display itself was mind numbingly stupid.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #1084 of 12181 Old 08-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I'd rephrase that.  Having your only 4K option to be a TV with speakers permanently part of the display itself was mind numbingly stupid.

That's another way to look at it!.biggrin.gif
post #1085 of 12181 Old 08-17-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1 View Post

The other night I was watching a movie on DirectTV and had to pause it as I went into another room as my daughter called me. By the time I inevitably came back it was well over half an hour and the scene was still frozen on the screen. I remember thinking thank G-d this is not a plasma.

Amen to that.

If there's one thing about modern TVs that truly, absolutely sucks it's the sound quality, but I wanna reiterate that I LOVE the sound on the 55X9. My 5.1 system has had minimal - and I do mean minimal - use since I got the TV a few weeks ago. Love 'em or loathe 'em, the front firing aspect of the speakers is crucial to the sound quality. If all people want is teeny tiny form factor then you came to the wrong neighbourhood. Thankfully we won't have to put up with such complaints once the X8 series is released. Or will people continue to bitch about the X9 not having crap speakers bunched into its ass from the start?
post #1086 of 12181 Old 08-17-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I could never compare my 9.1 sound system to anything TV speakers could ever put out. Seems anyone who could afford the Sony 4K sets would have a surround sound system. That's why I thought it was silly to have those dumbo ears on the sets in the first place. But if you like them, more power to you.
post #1087 of 12181 Old 08-17-2013, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I also have a Yamaha 9.1 surround, I do love my xbr2 front firing speakers though and its used a lot more then the 9.1. Mostly for regular tv ill just use my tv speakers which sounds really good..

Im considering the 55 inch jumbo ears more so then the soon to be released ones with no front speakers..
post #1088 of 12181 Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

It wouldn't have been the end of the world. It's not like the TV would have been ruined. You may have had slight IR for the next 20 minutes. The threat of IR is largely exaggerated on the newest plasma's.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #1089 of 12181 Old 08-18-2013, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It was more like an hour but I agree with you the set wouldn't br ruined. That being said I had no worries and watched the remainder of my program without IR. actually this happens a lot in my family everyone calling me the moment I sit down to relax and the TV is frozen on a scene for very long periods of time.
post #1090 of 12181 Old 08-19-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was more like an hour but I agree with you the set wouldn't br ruined. That being said I had no worries and watched the remainder of my program without IR. actually this happens a lot in my family everyone calling me the moment I sit down to relax and the TV is frozen on a scene for very long periods of time.

There is a screen saver built into Directv if you want to use it.
post #1091 of 12181 Old 08-19-2013, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 193
If you're viewing Netflix or Hulu from the apps in the XBR, how do you get audio to your home theater audio system?

I believe optical out from TV only give two channel stereo, no?

Thanks, I'm befuddled.
post #1092 of 12181 Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

If you're viewing Netflix or Hulu from the apps in the XBR, how do you get audio to your home theater audio system?

I believe optical out from TV only give two channel stereo, no?

Thanks, I'm befuddled.

Do you have ARC (Audio Return Channel) on your AVR?
post #1093 of 12181 Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubie View Post

Nobody else have an idea to wall mount ?

I used an Omnimount OC175T to mount mine and it worked really well. The edge of the lower rear portion of the TV pretty much rests against the wall because it sticks out further, but has not damaged the wall and does not seem to affect its ability to tilt or stay attached to the mounting bracket. You can lock the mount flat if you don't want/need any tilt on it. It is not low profile, but that really isn't an option with this TV.
post #1094 of 12181 Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I'm plum out of inputs on the TV.

1 cable box
2 satellite
3 bluray
4 4K server

I was using optical out from other devices to receiver, but as I've whined about before, ran into a snag with the second audio output on the X1 and also found the TV's optical output is only 2 channel.
post #1095 of 12181 Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:

Quote:

1 cable box
2 satellite
3 bluray
4 4K server

I was using optical out from other devices to receiver, but as I've whined about before, ran into a snag with the second audio output on the X1 and also found the TV's optical output is only 2 channel.

No, but this is a confusing topic that I'm out of my depth on, so I'll have to wing it.

IF the optical out is indeed an optical S/PDIF, then the output is considered "two channel".  But those two channels can contain 5.1, 7.1, and a couple other things.  It's a digital channel concept.  No, I don't understand this particular format, but I've worked with a number of digital formats and it could well be a packetized/tag based thing, so I can see how that might work.  The wikipedia page is vague, has no citations on this section for me to look up, and the other stuff when I google wasn't completely clear.

Audio folks, please clear this up.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #1096 of 12181 Old 08-19-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1 cable box
2 satellite
3 bluray
4 4K server

Your receiver has to support ARC -HDMI 1.4. I know the Sony TV supports it. If you look on the TV HDMI 1 it will say ARC on it. You don't need any more cables. The audio comes back to your receiver out of the TV HDMI 1.

With Audio Return Channel, you can simply take advantage of the HDMI cable you already have connected between the TV and the home theater receiver to transfer audio in both directions.

In order to take advantage of Audio Return Channel both your TV and Home Theater Receiver must be equipped with HDMI 1.4 and the TV and Home Theater Receiver manufacturer has included the Audio Return Channel as an option within their implementation of HDMI 1.4. One way to determine of your TV or home theater receiver has the Audio Return Channel option is to see if one of the HDMI inputs on the TV and the HDMI output of the home theater receiver have an "ARC" label in addition to the input or output number label designation.
Look on your receiver and see if it says ARC on you HDMI out. If so activate ARC on your receiver. The audio comes back from the TV to your receiver.
post #1097 of 12181 Old 08-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

I also have a Yamaha 9.1 surround, I do love my xbr2 front firing speakers though and its used a lot more then the 9.1. Mostly for regular tv ill just use my tv speakers which sounds really good..

Im considering the 55 inch jumbo ears more so then the soon to be released ones with no front speakers..

I have a Sony XBR5 with similar front firing speakers and I agree it makes a big difference. The way the speakers were integrated into the set was one of the reasons I selected the XBR5 over the Kuro with its detachable speakers.
Quote:

I could never compare my 9.1 sound system to anything TV speakers could ever put out. Seems anyone who could afford the Sony 4K sets would have a surround sound system. That's why I thought it was silly to have those dumbo ears on the sets in the first place. But if you like them, more power to you.

Yet another person who has contempt for others who elect to use the tv speakers. Why do you assume that everyone who buys a nice tv wants to pair it with a surround sound system?

Does a surround sound system really enhance a football game? Nope.
Does a surround sound system enhance most tv programming? Nope.
Does a surround system enhance action movies? Yes. Are loud action movies compatible with today's open floorplans and people with children? Nope. (Headphones are great though).
Is a surround sound system better than a two channel system for playing most music? Nope.
Do most women like the appearance of speakers throughout the room? Nope.

Do you assume that all these 4K Sony's are going into isolated man caves or into family rooms?

Just because people can afford surround sound systems doesn't mean they find value in them.

That said, I'm glad Sony decided to add a mediocre speaker version to the nice speaker version.
CATYPH202 likes this.

New: 2x Cisco 8642 w/ multi-room. Yes, that's right TWC has a multi-room DVR!!

Old: 2x SA8300HD TWC Navigator MDN 2.4.6-19
post #1098 of 12181 Old 08-19-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post

I have a Sony XBR5 with similar front firing speakers and I agree it makes a big difference. The way the speakers were integrated into the set was one of the reasons I selected the XBR5 over the Kuro with its detachable speakers.
Yet another person who has contempt for others who elect to use the tv speakers. Why do you assume that everyone who buys a nice tv wants to pair it with a surround sound system?

Does a surround system enhance action movies? Yes. Are loud action movies compatible with today's open floorplans and people with children? Nope. (Headphones are great though).
Is a surround sound system better than a two channel system for playing most music? Nope.

Do you assume that all these 4K Sony's are going into isolated man caves or into family rooms?

Just because people can afford surround sound systems doesn't mean they find value in them.

That said, I'm glad Sony decided to add a mediocre speaker version to the nice speaker version.

I think the consensus is that external speakers DO enhance football, general TV programming and pretty much anything else one would watch on a TV. In saying that it absolutely does not, you are using the same type of generalization that dreaux did. And you would be just as wrong.

I would argue that most people that purchase a $5000+ TV do have, or intend to purchase, external speakers. Notice that I said external speakers and not surround sound. It doesn't always have to be a 5+ speaker system. Even 2 speakers would be an improvement over your typical television. And not just to make what you're watching super loud.(side note, why do people think stereo's only exist to make things louder?) Speech intelligibility increases considerably with quality external speakers, especially with a center channel. You also get an improved stereo effect and much greater dynamic range. Sound through external speakers is also much better quality at low volumes. Of course, this assumes said external speakers are not a $150 HTiB system.

That said, I don't see anything wrong if someone prefers to use the speakers that the TV came with. You gave a number of valid reasons someone would want, or need, to do that. How you want to use the TV is completely up to you. All I'm saying is that a considerable amount of people would say there is a benefit.
CATYPH202 likes this.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #1099 of 12181 Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

I downsized when I got the 65" 4K. I retired stacks of amps and the tower speakers went up to the den where I now listen to music.

I have a pair of Paradigm speakers and a 7.1 Sony in the family room with the (2) speakers on the opposite site of the room that the television is in.

That is why I wanted to use the stereo (as in 2) speakers for fill, if desired.

I still don't know why the Optical Out of the cable box, Bluray and satellite provide clean audio that can be used as Front Left and Right in a surround mode, but the Optical Out of the television produces a garbled signal, obviously it is a different configuration out of the TV.

The pair of speakers can play Left/Right in the 2 channel mode for background music during get-togethers etc. but works nicely when watching TV and is switched to surround where the two speakers now act as the Left/Right in a 3 channel front mode, minus the center channel (where there is no speaker.)
post #1100 of 12181 Old 08-20-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like external speakers for the 5.1 sound on football games, TV programing and action movies on the channels that offer it. But you are right not everyone watches TV in a man cave or dedicated HT room, in that case TV speakers are a good thing.
I am not against them, I just don't like the way they look. Please "contempt" is a strong word.
post #1101 of 12181 Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sony to Slash its Ultra HDTV Prices

According to industry sources and industry trade publication Consumer Electronics Daily, Sony plans to drastically cut the price of its Ultra HDTVs on August 25th. Sony is currently offering its entry level 55-inch XBR-65X900A for $4999.99 (Unilateral Pricing Policy) and its 65-inch XBR900A for $6999.99 UPP . The new prices will be $3999.99 and $5499.99 respectively. Sony also plans to add to two lower cost models. Ultra HDTV offer four times the pixels of HDTV (over 8 million vs. over 2 milllion).

The new models will have the same specs, sans the “elephant ear” 65-watt speakers at prices of $3499.99 for the 55-inch and $4999.99 for the 65-inch screen according to sources.

Dealers have reported that many consumers balk at buying the extra wide form factor of the current Sony models with molded-in speakers, especially since most high-end buyers prefer soundbars or full external surround sound speaker systems. This price drop will bring the Sony UHD line priced considerably lower than Samsung (which will formally introduce its UDHTVs today to the press), LG and Toshiba.

http://hdguru.com/sony-to-slash-its-ultra-hdtv-prices/
post #1102 of 12181 Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

Why do you assume that everyone who buys a nice tv wants to pair it with a surround sound system?

Does a surround sound system really enhance a football game?

Hell Yeah.

Does a surround sound system enhance most tv programming?

All HD 5.1 channels

Does a surround system enhance action movies?

Yes.

Are loud action movies compatible with today's open floorplans and people with children?

Yes if you know anything about room designing, and you can enable night mode listening on receivers.

Is a surround sound system better than a two channel system for playing most music?

That's why you select 2 channels or Direct for certain music.

Do most women like the appearance of speakers throughout the room?

Yes if you know how to work with the space/ professional installation

Do you assume that all these 4K Sony's are going into isolated man caves or into family rooms? Both

If most people are willing to pay premium price for a TV, it's because they appreciate a Home Theater experience. Not that the big ears are bad, it's that most people that bought one already own a surround sound.

That's why you bought it and that's good. Others prefer to use their own surround sound system.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #1103 of 12181 Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After a recent firmware update, my new Sony XVBR55X900 no longer passes Dolby 5.1 audio via the audio optical out when streaming internet video like Amazon Instant Video. It passes audio as Dolby 2.0 vice Dolby 5.1 even though the source is a confirmed 5.1 signal. The TV passes audio 5.1 when I shift source to cable TV and still use the optical out.. The TV passed 5.1 when streaming movies last week so something recent has changed. . My internet speed is good ( approx. 20Mbps)since I use Ethernet cable directly from my Comcast cable modem

Any ideas out there? or confirmation that this is a Sony problem and not unique to my equipment. I seem to remember that Sony had issues over a year ago, but I have not had issues since I bought this new 900 in May 2013. I sent an email to Sony today regarding, but have not received an answer yet.

Firmware PKG3.611AAA pertains. The summary text that came with the update said it fixed some audio stability issues. I downloaded the firmware update via the TV menu (not USB). Also I tried cycling power with no effect.

Don
XBR-55X900A

SW Florida area

post #1104 of 12181 Old 08-20-2013, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldm823 View Post

After a recent firmware update, my new Sony XVBR55X900 no longer passes Dolby 5.1 audio via the audio optical out when streaming internet video like Amazon Instant Video. It passes audio as Dolby 2.0 vice Dolby 5.1 even though the source is a confirmed 5.1 signal. The TV passes audio 5.1 when I shift source to cable TV and still use the optical out.. The TV passed 5.1 when streaming movies last week so something recent has changed. I checked several video streaming sites and I was not successful in getting the TV to pass 5.1. My internet speed is good ( approx. 20Mbps)since I use Ethernet cable directly from my Comcast cable modem

Any ideas out there? or confirmation that this is a Sony problem and not unique to my equipment. I seem to remember that Sony had issues over a year ago, but I have not had issues since I bought this new 900 in May 2013. I sent an email to Sony today regarding, but have not received an answer yet.

Firmware PKG3.611AAA pertains. The summary text that came with the update said it fixed some audio stability issues. I downloaded the firmware update via the TV menu (not USB). Also I tried cycling power with no effect.

Please make sure that your setting for "Speakers" is set to " Audio System"

Easy access can be done by using the "OPTIONS" button on the TV remote.

Hope this helps,
Paul from Sony
post #1105 of 12181 Old 08-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post

Hope this helps,
Paul from Sony

Does the type of signal to the TV's OPTICAL OUTPUT change when you switch from TV speakers to Audio System?

Is it 2 channel audio at the optical output regardless of the setting?
post #1106 of 12181 Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Does the type of signal to the TV's OPTICAL OUTPUT change when you switch from TV speakers to Audio System?

Is it 2 channel audio at the optical output regardless of the setting?

When "TV Speakers" is selected the Optical Out is limited to 2 channel.

Paul from Sony
post #1107 of 12181 Old 08-20-2013, 04:48 PM

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

Plasma Vt-60 has better color tones or skin tones when get calibrated,i have both technology's I preferred plasma TV's,and if they come out with one 4k it's going change a lot folks mines.

That would blow my mine.
post #1108 of 12181 Old 08-20-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post

Hope this helps,
Paul from Sony

Yes I have audio system selected on speaker option. I get Dolby Digital 2.0 but not 5.1. I verbally verified with Amazon tech support that the video I tried is being transmitted 5.1. It appears the TV is not processing the surround sound signal. Anyone else have the same issue streaming internet video. Note this is not the 4k media center streaming. It is streaming Amazon Instant Video.

Don
XBR-55X900A

SW Florida area

post #1109 of 12181 Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldm823 View Post

After a recent firmware update, my new Sony XVBR55X900 no longer passes Dolby 5.1 audio via the audio optical out when streaming internet video like Amazon Instant Video. It passes audio as Dolby 2.0 vice Dolby 5.1 even though the source is a confirmed 5.1 signal. The TV passes audio 5.1 when I shift source to cable TV and still use the optical out.. The TV passed 5.1 when streaming movies last week so something recent has changed. . My internet speed is good ( approx. 20Mbps)since I use Ethernet cable directly from my Comcast cable modem

Yes I have audio system selected on speaker option. I get Dolby Digital 2.0 but not 5.1. I verbally verified with Amazon tech support that the video I tried is being transmitted 5.1. It appears the TV is not processing the surround sound signal. Anyone else have the same issue streaming internet video. Note this is not the 4k media center streaming. It is streaming Amazon Instant Video. Also the signal does change from pcm to dolby digital 2.0 when I select the audio system option

Don
XBR-55X900A

SW Florida area

post #1110 of 12181 Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 PM

Liked: 45
So has anyone gotten concrete confirmation regarding the price drop on Sunday?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page