Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 370 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11071 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 04:50 PM
Senior Member
 
ggw2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
You are good to go.
Thanks for the confirmation-thought I was good to go....
ggw2000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11072 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
teeitup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Got my 65" 900A today . Interesting story- I ordered it from Chris@clevelandplasma. It shipped out of NJ to me in upstate NY via freight. When the driver gave me the invoice I looked at it and it was sent by Beachcamera (interesting)! Like a person a couple pages back- the build date on mine is 4/2013 made in Japan which kinda blew my mind.
Odd, so is Cleveland Plasma part of Beach Camera or did he just buy some of the $2299 900A's for resale?? Interesting.
teeitup is online now  
post #11073 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
RiED27880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Sony is counting on suckers...I mean "consumers" like you who are willing to pay their price of admission..

I bought this tv because it upscales awesum, 1080p and 3d look fantastic, and, oh yea, eventually WHEN 4k becomes mainstream, I will be able to enjoy that TOO..

I got my X1 for FREE when I bought the TV, and that was all it was worth. I got see how "real" 4k looked, and, even though it was nice, it wasn't the ONLY reason I bought a top of the line TV. After a few months of watching 4k mini clips, and rehashed old movies "re engineered" to 4k, I sold it on Ebay for 450 bucks, so for me, it was a good deal. But would I be stupid, and pay 500 bucks to watch 1 or 2 programs from Netflix for that ridiculous price? Sorry, not that rich or stupid..
Not gonna lie, I am tempted to get the X10 sooner rather than later because i upgraded to a bigger size tv, but 500 bucks is just too much. I bought my X1 for 450 last September and sold it this past February for $350. I guess in a way it is nice to have some real 4k content feeding my set, and to WOW visitors, but at the end of the day, i wasnt using as much as i would have liked so i sold it. My blurays/bluray 3Ds look gorgeous on this set and i feel they are what keeps me from buying another player so soon at such price point. Yes, netflix 4k could be fun but Super HD is just about as good thanks to the fantastic upscaler. I think this time around, I will wait until prices drop or we have other choices in the 4k realm. It comes down to, if you got the money and want 4k content now, go for it. Otherwise, wait a little We all saw how quick the X1 deppreciated.
wase4711 and Mdjones9137 like this.
RiED27880 is offline  
post #11074 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Not gonna lie, I am tempted to get the X10 sooner rather than later because i upgraded to a bigger size tv, but 500 bucks is just too much. I bought my X1 for 450 last September and sold it this past February for $350. I guess in a way it is nice to have some real 4k content feeding my set, and to WOW visitors, but at the end of the day, i wasnt using as much as i would have liked so i sold it. My blurays/bluray 3Ds look gorgeous on this set and i feel they are what keeps me from buying another player so soon at such price point. Yes, netflix 4k could be fun but Super HD is just about as good thanks to the fantastic upscaler. I think this time around, I will wait until prices drop or we have other choices in the 4k realm. It comes down to, if you got the money and want 4k content now, go for it. Otherwise, wait a little We all saw how quick the X1 deppreciated.
Couldn't agree more.
I was an early adopter on the TV - paid a lot for it and already gave Sony enough of my hard earned money.
wase4711, Geoff D and RiED27880 like this.
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #11075 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
RiED27880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I purchased WOW and was completely disappointed. If you want a professional-quality test disk, the Spears&Munsil version 2 Blu-ray is IMO the best one available. It is particularly useful for us users with Sony 4K displays because it has a suite of 3D tests, as well as several stunning 3D demo clips. Highly recommended.
Thanks Jerry, i will try SPears&Munsil because i have the WOW and its not that great as you said. It's ok at best.
RiED27880 is offline  
post #11076 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Got my 65" 900A today . Interesting story- I ordered it from Chris@clevelandplasma. It shipped out of NJ to me in upstate NY via freight. When the driver gave me the invoice I looked at it and it was sent by Beachcamera (interesting)! Like a person a couple pages back- the build date on mine is 4/2013 made in Japan which kinda blew my mind.
At any rate it came in great shape and came up without a hitch. I plugged in AJs settings and see no screen problems (however I am not throwing discs in and looking for them). Picture is very very nice so far. One issue that's going to take some time to get use to however is going from a 73" DLP to a dinky 65" !!!!
Can't wait for my X10 to come from Crutchfield. Been looking at that thread and it looks like 1 or 2 people might have gotten theirs today. Hopefully some reviews shortly.
Gerry
Are you the build date is not 4/2014? 4/2013 seems really old for sets still being sold on 7/2014.
bruceames is offline  
post #11077 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Not gonna lie, I am tempted to get the X10 sooner rather than later because i upgraded to a bigger size tv, but 500 bucks is just too much. I bought my X1 for 450 last September and sold it this past February for $350. I guess in a way it is nice to have some real 4k content feeding my set, and to WOW visitors, but at the end of the day, i wasnt using as much as i would have liked so i sold it. My blurays/bluray 3Ds look gorgeous on this set and i feel they are what keeps me from buying another player so soon at such price point. Yes, netflix 4k could be fun but Super HD is just about as good thanks to the fantastic upscaler. I think this time around, I will wait until prices drop or we have other choices in the 4k realm. It comes down to, if you got the money and want 4k content now, go for it. Otherwise, wait a little We all saw how quick the X1 deppreciated.
Did you buy any movies from 4K Unlimited? If not, then that would explain why you didn't use it that much. I plan to buy a small collection of 10-20 movies (not just those available now, but those that will be available later, such as new releases and more catalog movies) in the next year or so, as well as renting another 20 or so, which should keep me busy with a new 4K movie every week.
bruceames is offline  
post #11078 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Senior Member
 
RiED27880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Did you buy any movies from 4K Unlimited? If not, then that would explain why you didn't use it that much. I plan to buy a small collection of 10-20 movies (not just those available now, but those that will be available later, such as new releases and more catalog movies) in the next year or so, as well as renting another 20 or so, which should keep me busy with a new 4K movie every week.
Yes, i bought quite a bit. Spider man 12&3, Elyssium,Looper,Godzilla,Mask of Zorro (not very many good choices to pick from honestly)and a few breaking bad and the black list episodes. So as you can see, i did give it a shot. lol Plus i had the free 10 titles along with the free clips in my hard drive. My purchases should still be on my account so i didnt mind selling my X1. I do miss the fact that i sold it just before going from my 55" into my current 65", so i have yet to see true 4k at this size. That is why i was tempted at first with the X10, but as others have said, i gave Sony too much too soon. I will wait a bit this time
RiED27880 is offline  
post #11079 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Yes, i bought quite a bit. Spider man 12&3, Elyssium,Looper,Godzilla,Mask of Zorro (not very many good choices to pick from honestly)and a few breaking bad and the black list episodes. So as you can see, i did give it a shot. lol Plus i had the free 10 titles along with the free clips in my hard drive. My purchases should still be on my account so i didnt mind selling my X1. I do miss the fact that i sold it just before going from my 55" into my current 65", so i have yet to see true 4k at this size. That is why i was tempted at first with the X10, but as others have said, i gave Sony too much too soon. I will wait a bit this time
I don't blame you for waiting. Normally I watch movies from 6 1/2 feet on my 65", but since it's easy to nudge up my recliner a couple of feet I plan on watching the 4K movies from around 5 feet (or even 4 feet), which should give me full immersion without seeing pixels while enjoying the extra resolution to the fullest.
RiED27880 likes this.
bruceames is offline  
post #11080 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Did you buy any movies from 4K Unlimited? If not, then that would explain why you didn't use it that much. I plan to buy a small collection of 10-20 movies (not just those available now, but those that will be available later, such as new releases and more catalog movies) in the next year or so, as well as renting another 20 or so, which should keep me busy with a new 4K movie every week.
Some of us are collectors of physical media and are waiting for 4K bluray.

Great news! Sony recently announced the standard disc format for the sale of ultra-high-definition films (UHD or 4K). It's not yet been finalised, but according to the Japanese manufacturer, it will be sometime between now and the end of 2014. We should see the first prototypes at the IFA trade show in Berlin in September. However, we'll have to wait until 2015 for the first films to be released on these new discs.

Nevertheless, one could still see the glass as half empty. It's great that the 4K Blu-ray is well on the way, but we're still going to have to wait a while before a decent number of films are available in UHD. Although some blockbusters will be released in 4K at the beginning of 2015, other titles will only come through in dribs and drabs.

Edit: link to article
http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-tele...-4k-a1832.html
RiED27880 likes this.

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 07-16-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #11081 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
Some of us are collectors of physical media and are waiting for 4K bluray.

Great news! Sony recently announced the standard disc format for the sale of ultra-high-definition films (UHD or 4K). It's not yet been finalised, but according to the Japanese manufacturer, it will be sometime between now and the end of 2014. We should see the first prototypes at the IFA trade show in Berlin in September. However, we'll have to wait until 2015 for the first films to be released on these new discs.

Nevertheless, one could still see the glass as half empty. It's great that the 4K Blu-ray is well on the way, but we're still going to have to wait a while before a decent number of films are available in UHD. Although some blockbusters will be released in 4K at the beginning of 2015, other titles will only come through in dribs and drabs.
When did Sony recently announce a standard for 4K discs? Do you have a link for this?
bruceames is offline  
post #11082 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
When did Sony recently announce a standard for 4K discs? Do you have a link for this?
Added link to my original post
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #11083 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Complete BS in that article regarding Sony announcing a 4K disc format. I follow Blu-ray very closely and Sony themselves have not announced anything. If they had, it would be all over the forums.
bruceames is offline  
post #11084 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Newbie
 
mrdolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just got my x10!!!!


Happier than the first person in line on the opening day of legalization in Colorado or Washington !

Will report back after connecting and playing with it....
RiED27880 likes this.
mrdolemite is offline  
post #11085 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Traylorc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My 900A should arrive on Saturday...the X10 should be here tomorrow.

Saturday can't get here soon enough....
Traylorc is offline  
post #11086 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 08:38 PM
Newbie
 
mrdolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Oh by the way pre-ordered it from Best Buy but they had no clue as to when or where it was coming from or when it was going to get shipped so I simply went to theSony store in Burbank California and voilĂ  they had plenty so I just bought one canceled my preorder at Best Buy and now I am about to rock in 4K goodness!!!!
mrdolemite is offline  
post #11087 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 08:55 PM
Senior Member
 
sdMCM66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hawaii... I wish
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The sound is soooooo good on this TV. I've got mine on a stand about 5 inches from the wall and the bass is magnificent, I can actually feel it vibrate through the floor. I forgot about the stand/wall mount setup option, I'll have to change that and see if it gets any better/worse. The surround sound effect is absolutely stunning too.

I've loved proper 5.1 for the longest time, but I've seriously thought about getting rid of the whole darned lot and just keeping the TV. I would have if it wasn't for the bluray reviews I do for thedigitalfix.com (shameless plug) for which I need at least a 5.1 system to appraise the audio side of things. (If you're an audiophile whose system cost as much as a family car then feel free to scoff all you want, you dig your kit and rightly so. But having super-duper sound with speakers up the wazoo has become less and important to me over the years, which is why this TV fits the bill so well, it's got more than enough quality to keep me happy.)

And while the merits of the LCD screen wearing in are perhaps anecdotal at best, there can be no argument about the sound, because speakers need to 'wear in' to sound their best and after a year this thing's singing like a bird.
Man, I did just that. Packed up my big towers and center speaker. Still using my sub as a stand for the rubber tree though, lol. I like the much less cluttered look now. I use just the TV for everything... streaming music, movies, whatever. All-in-one entertainment.
sdMCM66 is offline  
post #11088 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post
Man, I did just that. Packed up my big towers and center speaker. Still using my sub as a stand for the rubber tree though, lol. I like the much less cluttered look now. I use just the TV for everything... streaming music, movies, whatever. All-in-one entertainment.
Love the sound quality as well, but no way would I consider dumping my Paradigms for an immersive movie night. Not knocking the minimalistic approach you've decided to take, just love being enveloped by a good soundtrack.



Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #11089 of 12146 Old 07-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Newbie
 
Iron Curtains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am starting to get in the market for a 4k tv for the living room.

Love the speakers and sound on the 900B, not loving the price so much, and with the 65 inch of the 900a dropping down, its looking nice. Gotta be honest, that new samsung curved UHD is pretty tempting too.

I will ask you guys who own this tv, what do you think about someone buying it now, over a year after it has been on the market?

I have read this set may possibly have the best 3D ever in a tv, which is pretty great.

I also know that I would need to buy a streaming device for the 4k streaming, but thats not a huge issue to me and can be done down the road.

How is the upscaling on this tv? and how is the lag for gaming?

I have read so many reviews and takes but I really just want to hear it from you guys that have owned it for some time now. Thanks!
Iron Curtains is offline  
post #11090 of 12146 Old 07-17-2014, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Curtains View Post
So I am starting to get in the market for a 4k tv for the living room.

Love the speakers and sound on the 900B, not loving the price so much, and with the 65 inch of the 900a dropping down, its looking nice. Gotta be honest, that new samsung curved UHD is pretty tempting too.

I will ask you guys who own this tv, what do you think about someone buying it now, over a year after it has been on the market?

I have read this set may possibly have the best 3D ever in a tv, which is pretty great.

I also know that I would need to buy a streaming device for the 4k streaming, but thats not a huge issue to me and can be done down the road.

How is the upscaling on this tv? and how is the lag for gaming?

I have read so many reviews and takes but I really just want to hear it from you guys that have owned it for some time now. Thanks!
Well the fact you can get the 900A for around $1500 less than the B makes it a great buy. Even if you add the purchase of the x10 into the mix, you still save $1000.

The 3D is the best I have ever seen. I never use to watch 3D movies, now I snatch them up like crazy.


If you have a good 1080p set, you will not notice much of a difference in terms of 1080p content. The clarity should be right about the same. The biggest difference I noticed was color reproduction. That really has nothing to do with the TV being 4k, but the fact it is such a good panel. I have side by side watch pacific rim on my samsung f8500 and the sony 900a. The level of detail and clarity is the same, but there are certain colors the f8500 just cannot create if that makes sense.
RiED27880 likes this.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #11091 of 12146 Old 07-17-2014, 04:57 AM
Member
 
ozziegn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I copied a couple of .WMV files to a USB drive formatted to FAT32, inserted it in one of the USB PORTS ON THE SIDE OF THE TV, and immediately received an on-screen message that a USB device had been detected. I then went into the Home menu, select Connected Devices, scrolled over to the USB device, opened it and received a selection of Photo, Music, or Video. I selected Video, and the video plays just fine.

This doesn't work for you?
I used one of the rear USB ports and not the side. I will try this today.
ozziegn is offline  
post #11092 of 12146 Old 07-17-2014, 06:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Traylorc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Curtains View Post
So I am starting to get in the market for a 4k tv for the living room.

Love the speakers and sound on the 900B, not loving the price so much, and with the 65 inch of the 900a dropping down, its looking nice. Gotta be honest, that new samsung curved UHD is pretty tempting too.

I will ask you guys who own this tv, what do you think about someone buying it now, over a year after it has been on the market?

I have read this set may possibly have the best 3D ever in a tv, which is pretty great.

I also know that I would need to buy a streaming device for the 4k streaming, but thats not a huge issue to me and can be done down the road.

How is the upscaling on this tv? and how is the lag for gaming?

I have read so many reviews and takes but I really just want to hear it from you guys that have owned it for some time now. Thanks!
If you are really interested in doing your due diligence...take some time to go back and actually read this thread. I am not trying to be rude...but this is a 360+ page thread and many of the questions you have asked have been asked and discussed. Additionally there are many advantages, issues, potential pitfalls, etc.... about this set you may not know about. I have spent the last week or so reading over this entire thread, and there was a ton of information that helped me make my final decision to pick up the 900A.
wase4711 and RiED27880 like this.
Traylorc is offline  
post #11093 of 12146 Old 07-17-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Complete BS in that article regarding Sony announcing a 4K disc format. I follow Blu-ray very closely and Sony themselves have not announced anything. If they had, it would be all over the forums.
Totally agree. DigitalVersus is the only one reporting that and it would be major news. My bet would be Sony is dragging its feet hoping they can skip a physical 4K format, but will quickly see it will still need one generation for US internet speeds to catch up. 4K channels have started in Japan and they are using 40/Mbs instead of the higher compressed 20mbs. Once more 4K sets get out there the internet and streaming websites would choke on that much data. Plus storage of 100GB 4K movies would quickly fill up hard drives. We probably will not hear anything until 2015 CES with 4K blu-ray finally coming in late 2015.
sytech is online now  
post #11094 of 12146 Old 07-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Senior Member
 
sdMCM66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hawaii... I wish
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 112
[QUOTE=TweakerInWA;25808241]Love the sound quality as well, but no way would I consider dumping my Paradigms for an immersive movie night. Not knocking the minimalistic approach you've decided to take, just love being enveloped by a good soundtrack.

Part of the decision is that I'm in a smaller space... and I'm also packing up for a move in a few months. Completely satisfied with what the TV can deliver though until I've settled in a better place.
sdMCM66 is offline  
post #11095 of 12146 Old 07-17-2014, 09:03 AM
Senior Member
 
sdMCM66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hawaii... I wish
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 112
What is wrong with the YT app lately? Part of the update from Sony? When you select a vid to play it keeps some smaller vid icons at the top of the screen. I have to manually press up on the directional button to remove them. They used to go away on their own after a few seconds. Annoying.
sdMCM66 is offline  
post #11096 of 12146 Old 07-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Member
 
solidFire501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Are you the build date is not 4/2014? 4/2013 seems really old for sets still being sold on 7/2014.
I double checked mine from buydig.com that I bought a few weeks ago and it is definitely a May 2013 panel from Japan.


It has the HDMI 4 port off by itself as well, which had me thinking I may need an upgrade based on other comments here. However, I checked my SN on the site provided, and it said I as fine, and I also had the white sticker of the media player on the box. So I guess they did the update to it before it shipped out. Thanks to everyone who provide additional detail on that.


Of course, since I do not have a 4k player, and will probably wait until there are more (and cheaper) options before I buy, part of me is paranoid in the sense that I have no way of actually verifying that my TV is in fact "ready" other than to take Sony's word for it.


I also found it interesting that, if you go to that site to verify if your panel needs to be upgraded or not, one of the questions they ask you is if you own the 4k media player. I selected "no" at first, and the site told me the update was only required if you had their 4k media player. It instructed me to "check back after I had received my media player". I changed my answer to "yes" and then it gave me the confirmation that my panel was good to go. I am glad that I do not need the update, because it reads to me like you might have some trouble getting the update if you aren't willing to buy their media player, too.
solidFire501 is offline  
post #11097 of 12146 Old 07-17-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidFire501 View Post
I double checked mine from buydig.com that I bought a few weeks ago and it is definitely a May 2013 panel from Japan.


It has the HDMI 4 port off by itself as well, which had me thinking I may need an upgrade based on other comments here. However, I checked my SN on the site provided, and it said I as fine, and I also had the white sticker of the media player on the box. So I guess they did the update to it before it shipped out. Thanks to everyone who provide additional detail on that.


Of course, since I do not have a 4k player, and will probably wait until there are more (and cheaper) options before I buy, part of me is paranoid in the sense that I have no way of actually verifying that my TV is in fact "ready" other than to take Sony's word for it.


I also found it interesting that, if you go to that site to verify if your panel needs to be upgraded or not, one of the questions they ask you is if you own the 4k media player. I selected "no" at first, and the site told me the update was only required if you had their 4k media player. It instructed me to "check back after I had received my media player". I changed my answer to "yes" and then it gave me the confirmation that my panel was good to go. I am glad that I do not need the update, because it reads to me like you might have some trouble getting the update if you aren't willing to buy their media player, too.
The reason for that is they will only come out to replace the board if you own the media player.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #11098 of 12146 Old 07-17-2014, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
ggw2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidFire501 View Post
I double checked mine from buydig.com that I bought a few weeks ago and it is definitely a May 2013 panel from Japan.


It has the HDMI 4 port off by itself as well, which had me thinking I may need an upgrade based on other comments here. However, I checked my SN on the site provided, and it said I as fine, and I also had the white sticker of the media player on the box. So I guess they did the update to it before it shipped out. Thanks to everyone who provide additional detail on that.


Of course, since I do not have a 4k player, and will probably wait until there are more (and cheaper) options before I buy, part of me is paranoid in the sense that I have no way of actually verifying that my TV is in fact "ready" other than to take Sony's word for it.


I also found it interesting that, if you go to that site to verify if your panel needs to be upgraded or not, one of the questions they ask you is if you own the 4k media player. I selected "no" at first, and the site told me the update was only required if you had their 4k media player. It instructed me to "check back after I had received my media player". I changed my answer to "yes" and then it gave me the confirmation that my panel was good to go. I am glad that I do not need the update, because it reads to me like you might have some trouble getting the update if you aren't willing to buy their media player, too.
You are correct in saying that it appears you will NOT get the free update unless you buy a X1/X10. This will be a problem for anyone out there with a set without the upgrade when 3rd party (roku, appleTV, etc) eventually come out with 4K streamers as they are not going to work on HDMI 4!
Gerry
ggw2000 is offline  
post #11099 of 12146 Old 07-17-2014, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Ok, let's see if this attachment works:

Passive 3d Glasses showdown. My winner: Vantage Style Universal (VWP 793573831637) Based on clarity, frames, weight/comfort and incomparable separation forward and backward from the frame, at default TV depth.

Runner's up (that will allow [+] TV depth adjustment better than the Vantages if you so choose, although this can come with some other drawbacks on the far sides of the picture.) But you won't regret picking these up: TrueDepth or Polaroid

Losers: Gunnar and GSAstore - both useless with our sets, at least.

Let me know if you have any questions and don't make fun of my worksheet, I didn't spend a lot of time on it.




Download on a desktop not mobile:

http://ge.tt/8uAlQRo1/v/0?c?c
Got the theater RealD glasses. Middle of the road depth/popout, no peripheral coverage whatsoever, slight blue tint, frames around lens are a bit convex when resting on the ears. Score 5.5
RiED27880 and Mdjones9137 like this.

Last edited by flinchn; 07-17-2014 at 10:18 AM.
flinchn is offline  
post #11100 of 12146 Old 07-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Member
 
DiscoSmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Appalachia
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a way to do a Sony Essentials registration with this set? https://internet.sony.tv/customer/

Instructions for BRAVIA Internet Television:

To get the Registration Code
1. Please make sure your BRAVIA internet enabled TV is connected to your network, powered on and active.
2. Press the Home button on your remote control and navigate to the Network icon on the Xross Media Bar.
3. Scroll to Activate Enhanced Features and select by pressing enter.
4. Locate the Registration Code for your BRAVIA TV.

Does the XBR-65X900A have an equivalent Registration Code for Sony Essentials, or is this outdated?
DiscoSmoke is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off