Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 376 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11251 of 11263 Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If anyone is looking for a laptop that happens to output 4k, Staples has a Toshiba laptop for $749. It doesn't have a UHD screen but under specifications it states 4k output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 11263 Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoktulsa View Post
Jerry, in your response, wouldn't the 4K streaming player with the necessary codec (H.265) need to be plugged into the HDMI 4 with HDCP 2.2 input since it would require HDCP 2.2 not just any HDMI 2.0 input?
Just a hunch,

But I highly, highly! doubt HDCP 2.2 will be a requirement or necessary for 4K Blu-ray in the near future. To many 4K sets on the market without it already. The only thing you'll need to worry about in the next couple of years as far as 4K compatability goes is HDMI 2.0. ..The biggest area of general concern with HDMI 2.0 is in people's AVR's. Either folks are going to have to upgrade, or hope the manufacturer had some foresight and will be able to update via a firmware patch..

Edit : Just to be more specific, Sony is requiring it (HDCP) for use with their players. It's not an industry wide standard that's been adopted in the display industry. All about content control...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Last edited by TweakerInWA; Yesterday at 11:50 AM.
post #11253 of 11263 Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone recommend any settings for sports programs in particular football, NFL season is soon. Not really liking the Austin Gerry settings for football content but for movies and TV shows its great.
post #11254 of 11263 Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Why would settings look better for one type of content vs. another?
post #11255 of 11263 Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Why would settings look better for one type of content vs. another?
Lots of people like the vivid look for sports.
post #11256 of 11263 Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 644
I guess. Preference is preference, and I would never discourage anyone. But I am on record here advocating that there is one "correct" group of settings that should be optimal for any content.
post #11257 of 11263 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I guess. Preference is preference, and I would never discourage anyone. But I am on record here advocating that there is one "correct" group of settings that should be optimal for any content.
Would there be different settings depending on the amount of ambient light, like day and night settings? I use your Cinema 2 settings except have the backlight on max during the day and for 3D. For dark or almost dark I use (your) Cinema 1 settings. Still looking for the optimal 3D settings though, as well as the best settings in the 3D adjustment menu.

My kid prefers gaming mode when using the Xbox One.
post #11258 of 11263 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Just a hunch,

But I highly, highly! doubt HDCP 2.2 will be a requirement or necessary for 4K Blu-ray in the near future. To many 4K sets on the market without it already. The only thing you'll need to worry about in the next couple of years as far as 4K compatability goes is HDMI 2.0. ..The biggest area of general concern with HDMI 2.0 is in people's AVR's. Either folks are going to have to upgrade, or hope the manufacturer had some foresight and will be able to update via a firmware patch..

Edit : Just to be more specific, Sony is requiring it (HDCP) for use with their players. It's not an industry wide standard that's been adopted in the display industry. All about content control...

I highly, highly! think that HDCP 2.2 will be the de facto content protection for commercial 4K content. Let's be clear: it's NOT a Sony invention, it's merely the latest version of the HDCP system which has been around for ages and which was adopted by EVERYONE who wished to used licensed HDMI hardware. Sony are using 2.2 because they've been first with a genuine 4K player, that's all. And it is actually in every 4K TV AFAIK, it's literally only the very first run of Sony sets (which were the first 4K TVs on the market out of ANY manufacturer, don't forget) which needed the upgrade.

Pioneer and other receiver manufacturers aren't using it, granted, their rationale being that A) there's no HDCP 2.2 gear aside from Sony's X series player and B) there's a chronic lack of HDMI chips which combines full-bandwidth HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. So in the 18-months/2 years which it'll (hopefully) take 4K Blu-ray to come to market, they'll get some folks buying this gear, and if/when 4K Blu-ray comes out and needs HDCP 2.2, they'll say "you got two years out of your amp, what are you complaining about?"

edit: here's what Movielabs - the R&D company set up by Disney, Paramount, Twentieth Century Fox, Sony Pictures, Universal and Warner Bros - recommend for 4K distribution, and HDCP 2.2 is a key component: http://copyrightandtechnology.com/20...nt-protection/

There's also a PDF of their recommendations here (check page 4): http://movielabs.com/ngvideo/MovieLa...ion%20v1.0.pdf
bruceames and Mdjones9137 like this.

Last edited by Geoff D; Yesterday at 04:07 PM.
post #11259 of 11263 Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Still, if the 4K BD hardware implements the dual HDMI out like the X series players, then needing HDCP 2.2 in the amp would be irrelevant and so would 4K passthrough, come to think of it, because you'd be bypassing the amp with its lovely 18 Gb/s HDMI chips anyway...
post #11260 of 11263 Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
have a chance to get a new 65x900a

I have a Panasonic gt 50 plasma now which I am selling and I will be getting the sony xbr 65x900a do you think I am making a good choice. I can get a good price at bb for this tv. also do I need a new stereo receiver that does 4k. right now I have a pioneer elite sc61
post #11261 of 11263 Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny 21 View Post
I have a Panasonic gt 50 plasma now which I am selling and I will be getting the sony xbr 65x900a do you think I am making a good choice. I can get a good price at bb for this tv. also do I need a new stereo receiver that does 4k. right now I have a pioneer elite sc61
I think it is definitely better than the GT. You will be a very happy camper. The size will feel enormous compared to the 50
post #11262 of 11263 Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Still, if the 4K BD hardware implements the dual HDMI out like the X series players, then needing HDCP 2.2 in the amp would be irrelevant and so would 4K passthrough, come to think of it, because you'd be bypassing the amp with its lovely 18 Gb/s HDMI chips anyway...
Just don't see it becoming a real issue in the near future. I think you'll see it down the road, but I doubt it will be a requirement in 15 or 16.. The last thing this industry needs (in the movement towards 4K) is dual HDMI outs, one for audio, one for video and HDCP this and HDMI 2.0 that to really confuse the average (plug and play) consumer. I'm sure they'll figure it out....

post #11263 of 11263 Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Price adjust opportunity at Best Buy. The XBR-65X900A is down to $2,699.98.
Raitzi likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page