Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 378 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11311 of 11332 Old Today, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Right, scratch all that, looks like it was a false alarm.

Sony's repair group apparently misinterpreted the lead time for the HDCP 2.2 board, and the B series swaps should never have been offered to customers. They may still have to honour the swaps that have already been mooted, but because I missed the call yesterday offering the swap, I'm SOOL.

How abso-****ing-lutely typical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11312 of 11332 Old Today, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Right, scratch all that, looks like it was a false alarm.

Sony's repair group apparently misinterpreted the lead time for the HDCP 2.2 board, and the B series swaps should never have been offered to customers. They may still have to honour the swaps that have already been mooted, but because I missed the call yesterday offering the swap, I'm SOOL.

How abso-****ing-lutely typical.
Damn, what a huge let down.
post #11313 of 11332 Old Today, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

As I said before (many times, in fact): Sony couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. Only they would offer people a brand new TV costing £2700/£3600 in lieu of a part that costs a mere Benjamin which, if not in stock at their own end, is readily available from overseas vendors. And then they realised their mistake: apparently the parts are due in September, same time as the X5 is to be released - not July/August as originally thought - which is a handy coincidence, because if I were able to buy an X5 right now I'd still need to wait a minimum of 5 weeks for my TV to be upgraded, which is over and above the 28 days limit for parts that Sony have before offering a swap.

Words can't express how pissed off I am, to be honest. All because I missed one phone call.
post #11314 of 11332 Old Today, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
As I said before (many times, in fact): Sony couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. Only they would offer people a brand new TV costing £2700/£3600 in lieu of a part that costs a mere Benjamin which, if not in stock at their own end, is readily available from overseas vendors. And then they realised their mistake: apparently the parts are due in September, same time as the X5 is to be released - not July/August as originally thought - which is a handy coincidence, because if I were able to buy an X5 right now I'd still need to wait a minimum of 5 weeks for my TV to be upgraded, which is over and above the 28 days limit for parts that Sony have before offering a swap.

Words can't express how pissed off I am, to be honest. All because I missed one phone call.
This is the first time I can remember where you have expressed more than a modicum of displeasure at the 55 passive. Have you seen the 65 3d in action? I only ask because I have no idea what the 55 experience would look like from 8.5 ft, having never seen the model.
post #11315 of 11332 Old Today, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I've mentioned the aliasing before. The 3D is still some of the best I've ever seen, don't get me wrong, but the aliasing always catches my eye and given all the other considerations like 4K USB playback I'd have gone for a B series if offered for free!

Too late now though, and I don't have the time or money to faff about selling my A series (for a HUGE loss) and then buying a B series (same rationale as to why I won't buy a 65A, also they're nowhere near as cheap as they are in the US).
post #11316 of 11332 Old Today, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
3d ?

After having got my 65X900A last week I ordered Avatar in 3D to see how the wife is going to like 3D. I have never had a 3D TV and therefore a complete novice in this area.
I have heard of over/under & side/by/side? I have a Sony S5100 player.. Is there any thing I need to do as far as settings in 3D on the TV? Does the TV know whether it is O/U or
SBS on its own? Any direction with instructions would be a great help!
Thanks, Gerry
post #11317 of 11332 Old Today, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
After having got my 65X900A last week I ordered Avatar in 3D to see how the wife is going to like 3D. I have never had a 3D TV and therefore a complete novice in this area.
I have heard of over/under & side/by/side? I have a Sony S5100 player.. Is there any thing I need to do as far as settings in 3D on the TV? Does the TV know whether it is O/U or
Thanks, Gerry
Avatar 3d bluray is frame packed not the other methods you mention which are generally for broadcasts. The TV should auto recognize this from the BD player and immediately switch to 3d mode.
post #11318 of 11332 Old Today, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have had my 65x900a for nearly two weeks now. I couldn't be happier with my decision paying $2299 from Beach Camera. The TV was build March 2014 in Mexico. Chad B is coming out the end of August to ISF calibrate it too! My only complaint is that I wish it was compatible with the wireless sub or they sold an addon for the 900a so the wireless sub would work with it. The TV speakers sound great but I can't deal with not having low end base so I will use my old Vizio 5.1 soundbar, rears, and sub until I can afford a real system.

I also have some of the light spots when I am on a black screen but they completely go away once a video is playing.
Love the 3D!!! Absolutely the best I have ever seen
Playing split screen games full screen is amazing
Plugged in calibration settings for the forums and the set looks amazing. I can't imagine Chad B making it look even better.
post #11319 of 11332 Old Today, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Thanks, Gerry
The TV should detect the 3D signal and automatically adjust from the Bluray player.
I do have to set my TV when playing 3D content from HBO or STARZ etc. The Side by Side image appears on the panel and i have to hit the 3D button and set it to Side by Side in order to merge the 2 images into one 3D one.
Hope you enjoy Avatar
post #11320 of 11332 Old Today, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Avatar 3d bluray is frame packed not the other methods you mention which are generally for broadcasts. The TV should auto recognize this from the BD player and immediately switch to 3d mode.
Flinchn, thanks for the response! Any settings that need to be changed that is different than the defaults the set came with? I am currently running "common" across all inputs with AJs settings at this point.
Gerry
post #11321 of 11332 Old Today, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
The TV should detect the 3D signal and automatically adjust from the Bluray player.
I do have to set my TV when playing 3D content from HBO or STARZ etc. The Side by Side image appears on the panel and i have to hit the 3D button and set it to Side by Side in order to merge the 2 images into one 3D one.
Hope you enjoy Avatar
Thank You!!! There is 3D content on HBO/STARZ ?
Gerry
post #11322 of 11332 Old Today, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_purdue View Post
I have had my 65x900a for nearly two weeks now. I couldn't be happier with my decision paying $2299 from Beach Camera. The TV was build March 2014 in Mexico. Chad B is coming out the end of August to ISF calibrate it too! My only complaint is that I wish it was compatible with the wireless sub or they sold an addon for the 900a so the wireless sub would work with it. The TV speakers sound great but I can't deal with not having low end base so I will use my old Vizio 5.1 soundbar, rears, and sub until I can afford a real system.

I also have some of the light spots when I am on a black screen but they completely go away once a video is playing.
Love the 3D!!! Absolutely the best I have ever seen
Playing split screen games full screen is amazing
Plugged in calibration settings for the forums and the set looks amazing. I can't imagine Chad B making it look even better.
I could not agree more. This set is in my living room, so I use the built in speakers. I would love to be able to add the sub to it

Carlos (fellow forum member) confirmed it does not work with the A series TVs. Maybe a software update will enable it.
post #11323 of 11332 Old Today, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Flinchn, thanks for the response! Any settings that need to be changed that is different than the defaults the set came with? I am currently running "common" across all inputs with AJs settings at this point.
Gerry
Your auto 3d setting by default on the TV should be set to Auto1 and you will be fine with that.
post #11324 of 11332 Old Today, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I could not agree more. This set is in my living room, so I use the built in speakers. I would love to be able to add the sub to it

Carlos (fellow forum member) confirmed it does not work with the A series TVs. Maybe a software update will enable it.
I sure hope so because then I can re-purpose the vizio 5.1 sound bar. I'll be checking here daily and also post my reports regarding chad b's calibration.

Tonight I am going to see if my TV has the upgraded system board.
post #11325 of 11332 Old Today, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_purdue View Post
I sure hope so because then I can re-purpose the vizio 5.1 sound bar. I'll be checking here daily and also post my reports regarding chad b's calibration.

Tonight I am going to see if my TV has the upgraded system board.
It does, I think you said March 2014? It was really only the first few weeks of production that did not have the updated board.
post #11326 of 11332 Old Today, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Thank You!!! There is 3D content on HBO/STARZ ?
Gerry
Yes
I have Comcast and watched Gravity in 3D on HBO on demand - was better than i remember it being in the theater
post #11327 of 11332 Old Today, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
Yes
I have Comcast and watched Gravity in 3D on HBO on demand - was better than i remember it being in the theater
Imagine it with Bluray bitrate
Mdjones9137 likes this.
post #11328 of 11332 Old Today, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Imagine it with Bluray bitrate
I have added it to my Bluray wish list
post #11329 of 11332 Old Today, 11:58 AM

A few posts back I asked about some 3D stuff as I had ordered Avatar in 3D. It came today so I thought I would do some
Advanced testing to make sure everything worked ok. Things didn't go well! My Sony S5100 runs through my Marantz receiver and plays all Blurays without problem.
When I put the Avatar 3D disc in player it says loading and then I just get ------- across it's display. The x900 comes up with a message of "no video input"! I believe I can hear the disc spinning. Tried everything I can think of but same results . Put a BD back in and it works fine.
Any ideas why this 3D BD won't play? It is the first 3D that I have ever put in the player.
Thanks, Gerry
post #11330 of 11332 Old Today, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Do you guys have any motionblur issues with PS3 in game mode?
post #11331 of 11332 Old Today, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
A few posts back I asked about some 3D stuff as I had ordered Avatar in 3D. It came today so I thought I would do some
Advanced testing to make sure everything worked ok. Things didn't go well! My Sony S5100 runs through my Marantz receiver and plays all Blurays without problem.
When I put the Avatar 3D disc in player it says loading and then I just get ------- across it's display. The x900 comes up with a message of "no video input"! I believe I can hear the disc spinning. Tried everything I can think of but same results . Put a BD back in and it works fine.
Any ideas why this 3D BD won't play? It is the first 3D that I have ever put in the player.
Thanks, Gerry
Your receiver doesn't support 3D. My Denon doesn't, either. I have to run the PS3's HDMI output directly to the TV, and optical to the receiver for audio.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #11332 of 11332 Old Today, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
It's not a case of registering, you have to go to the 4K activation site and put in your model & serial numbers. It'll say if you need a hardware upgrade or not, if so then you need to call Sony on the number provided and they'll get in touch with your nearest repair centre to arrange a call out when the part is in stock. But apparently the new HDMI boards aren't due in until January 2015, which is why Sony are calling people up and offering the B series as a straight swap.

However, Sony are now asking for people's order numbers for the X5 streamer (since the activation site is actually part of the buying process for the X5) prior to arranging the repair, so without buying the X5 in the first place you might not get anywhere with them, and there's no cast-iron guarantee that they'll offer a replacement anyway.
OK so UK also get the new player then? Us Aussies down here don't even have a 4k activation site or link. Feeling real pissed with Sony!! Looks like we will need the HDMI Upgrade board then if
we get this player eventually. Or make us pay for it eventually.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page