Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 381 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11401 of 12609 Old 07-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtypeoxx View Post
OK thanks for the info guys. So I plan on getting the 4K media player from Sony. When I went to the webpage link to check to see if I need the upgrade and put in my serial number it said it wasnt sure if I need the upgrade and I need the 4 K player in order to check for it. I wont be able to get the New 4K player for a few weeks since we are leaving for a 2 week vacation and they are not in stock as of yet from my Sony contact. Is there a certain time frame I have before I wont be eligible for this upgrade if I need one? Also whats involved in the upgrade? Do they need to service the back of the tv? I can pull it off the wall if need be but being the monster that it is im not really looking forward to it BUT what has to be done must be done. I will check out the user setting you mentioned. Tanks again for all your help. OH one more quick question. I have a Roku 3 player which I use for my plex server. I also see I can use the Sony TV for Plex as well as Netflix and Amazon. Is there any picture quality differences between using the Sony TV Netflix and Plex compared to when you are using the same ones via the Roku 3? The Plex media on the Sony is horrible compared to the Roku since you cant receive any cover art as well as other menus Plex offers. BUT if the picture quality is much better by using the internal apps of the Sony then I will go that route. I know the TV is supposed to up-convert everything to 4K anyways so not sure if it actually makes a difference
either way I go. Im sure the Sony 4K player is the way to go when it comes out but not sure if you can add Plex to the Sony 4K media player like you can the $99.00 Roku 3.
Click that you have a media player. It's the only way it will tell you if you need the upgrade. Also as a double check see if there is a sticker on the box with a pic of the X1 on it. As a third check look at the back of your TV for the build date. Only some sets built way back in March timeframe of 2013 needed it.

Also, I have a roku 3 that I used on my last TV before getting my 65X a week ago. I now use the TV for Netflix/Amazon as they look great. Only use roku for hbogo, epic now (do not use plex).

As far as the X10- if you didn't preorder it at $500 then personally I don't think it's worth $700 at this point. You would only gain some 4K clips, Netflix limited 4k & some expensive movies at sony video unlimited. I would wait until there is another sale on it before purchase.
Gerry

Last edited by ggw2000; 07-27-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11402 of 12609 Old 07-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 209
The existing rule of thumb for A model sets, is, if the HDMI(4) connector is all by itself on the left side (on the rear of the TV) you're going to need the board. If it's clustered with the other HDMI inputs, you're good to go.

It's hard to access pics from the forum history, but here is one of the back of the TV. If yours looks like it, then the board is already there. Pic two is when my set was taken apart a year ago for the board install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new version.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	182906   Click image for larger version

Name:	board change.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	182914  

Last edited by LeeSoFl; 07-27-2014 at 03:19 PM.
post #11403 of 12609 Old 07-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
The existing rule of thumb for A model sets, is, if the HDMI(4) connector is all by itself on the left side (on the rear of the TV) you're going to need the board. If it's clustered with the other HDMI inputs, you're good to go.

It's hard to access pics from the forum history, but here is one of the back of the TV. If yours looks like it, then the board is already there. Pic two is when my set was taken apart a year ago for the board install.
Mine has the HDMI 4 port by itself with a build date of 4/13. It had the sticker on the box and 4kactivation says I don't need the update (built in Japan). Go figure . Of course the final truth will be when my X10 gets here eventually.
Gerry
post #11404 of 12609 Old 07-27-2014, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So after my OCD issues, always finding a flaw on my 55X900A(5th panel) Sony is sending me a 55X900B as I requested. So stoked and since the 55A doesn't have the 3D res as the 65, I'm ok with active since I demoed it at Sony store. Glad I didn't pick up the X10 for Netflix 4K.
post #11405 of 12609 Old 07-27-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im pretty sure I have the hdmi 4 port separate from the rest of the HDMI ports. Its hung on the wall now so id have to climb up there and check. I took the box to the dumb just yesterday too after I verified the tv worked ok. The 4K sony site wont let me verify if I need the upgrade unless I actually have a Sony FMP-X1 to see if it works or not. So now I have to either buy the older Sony FMP-X1 ( which BTW are pretty damn cheap now ) or get the new one when they start shipping. Whats the difference between the new one and old one besides hard drive? Is it worth spending the extra money or just pick up an older version for say $300.00. I take it this is the only way to get true 4K content on these TVs right now. Ill have to do some reading up when I get some time on these Sony TVs now that I actually own one. I wasnt even in the market for a new TV for the bedroom but at that price I couldn't pass it up. Compared to my LG Google TV I had before this is a dream.
post #11406 of 12609 Old 07-27-2014, 06:12 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Just to update you, they granted my request to change models. It was nearly an identical price swap though. They did ask if I wanted the 900b for $700 more, so it still would have been cheaper than buying the 900b at a store by nearly $800.

Sony had my original purchases price higher. I later got a price match, that is why the 900 was offered so cheap.
Did they say the were going to charge you? So far I have no charge nor email saying they'd charge me. I'm assuming it's a straight replacement. Hope not but I'll call and confirm tomorrow, thanks.
post #11407 of 12609 Old 07-27-2014, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtypeoxx View Post
Im pretty sure I have the hdmi 4 port separate from the rest of the HDMI ports. Its hung on the wall now so id have to climb up there and check. I took the box to the dumb just yesterday too after I verified the tv worked ok. The 4K sony site wont let me verify if I need the upgrade unless I actually have a Sony FMP-X1 to see if it works or not. So now I have to either buy the older Sony FMP-X1 ( which BTW are pretty damn cheap now ) or get the new one when they start shipping. Whats the difference between the new one and old one besides hard drive? Is it worth spending the extra money or just pick up an older version for say $300.00. I take it this is the only way to get true 4K content on these TVs right now. Ill have to do some reading up when I get some time on these Sony TVs now that I actually own one. I wasnt even in the market for a new TV for the bedroom but at that price I couldn't pass it up. Compared to my LG Google TV I had before this is a dream.
On the site, just check the box saying you already have the player. You don't have to like enter the player serial number or anything. This will at least let you get to the page where it tells you whether you need the upgrade or not.

Now, if your TV actually DOES need the upgrade, then you would probably have to prove you had a player in order to get it. But to just check if you need it, you can "lie" and just say you have it already.

I did the same thing - did not check the box at first and it told me you need the player to get the upgrade. Then I just checked the box saying I had the player and then it told me my TV did not need the upgrade.
post #11408 of 12609 Old 07-27-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
As far as the X10- if you didn't preorder it at $500 then personally I don't think it's worth $700 at this point. You would only gain some 4K clips, Netflix limited 4k & some expensive movies at sony video unlimited. I would wait until there is another sale on it before purchase.
Gerry
Agree with Gerry on the X10 pricing. I would wait. For me personally, it's hard to stomach the price of what is basically a glorified hard drive to store and play movies.

My pc is capable of outputting 4k (up to 30 fps). It's a shame I don't have the option to buy a movie on my PC and play it that way instead of handing over a chunk of cash to Sony just to gain the ability to then hand over even more cash for the actual movies. I thought one of the big "selling points" of this magical all digital future is that it would be easier and more convenient to gain access to content. I suppose the issue with Sony is that they are trying to make it so that the content only plays on their TV, right? These 4k players only work with Sony TVs correct? What are the owners of other 4k TVs doing for content?

I look forward to competition to the Sony player, and, hopefully one day, a 4k blu ray format. For now, I am content to stream YouTube clips in 4k from my PC, and enjoy fantastic HD 3D on blu ray.

But, to each their own. 4k content is beautiful, and I can certainly see how others want the 4k players now and are willing to accept the price.
post #11409 of 12609 Old 07-27-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Mine has the HDMI 4 port by itself with a build date of 4/13. It had the sticker on the box and 4kactivation says I don't need the update (built in Japan). Go figure . Of course the final truth will be when my X10 gets here eventually.
Gerry
Please report back if all is well. I am in a similar situation, I have port 4 by itself, but site says I am good to go, and also had the media player sticker on box.

I am not interested in buying the media player at the moment (maybe if it drops in price significantly) so am a little worried that I have no way of actually verifying that my TV does not need the upgrade. Will feel better if you report back that all is well once you get your player.
post #11410 of 12609 Old 07-28-2014, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidFire501 View Post
Please report back if all is well. I am in a similar situation, I have port 4 by itself, but site says I am good to go, and also had the media player sticker on box.

I am not interested in buying the media player at the moment (maybe if it drops in price significantly) so am a little worried that I have no way of actually verifying that my TV does not need the upgrade. Will feel better if you report back that all is well once you get your player.
Will do!!!

Gerry
post #11411 of 12609 Old 07-28-2014, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidFire501 View Post

If your box had the media player sticker on it, you do NOT need the upgrade, so don't worry about it.
post #11412 of 12609 Old 07-28-2014, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
If your box had the media player sticker on it, you do NOT need the upgrade, so don't worry about it.
Always worth a double check and it is as simple as going to 4Kactivation.. I feel comfortable that I am good to go with having both the sticker and website confirming...
Gerry
post #11413 of 12609 Old 07-28-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys im new In this fórum, but since last week i was very worryed about My XBR-55X900A. So i went on a local Store that was playing the watch dogs game on the ps4 , In a samsung f6300, and the definition and the graphics were far mor better than My tv. At a fist a thought it was running on a pc but no. After that i searched for a lot of calibration and hdmi qualities, and nothing compares to that. How can a tv like that gets a lot more image quality than mine. Am i missing something?

Thanks guys In advance
post #11414 of 12609 Old 07-28-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sppedro View Post
Hi guys im new In this fórum, but since last week i was very worryed about My XBR-55X900A. So i went on a local Store that was playing the watch dogs game on the ps4 , In a samsung f6300, and the definition and the graphics were far mor better than My tv. At a fist a thought it was running on a pc but no. After that i searched for a lot of calibration and hdmi qualities, and nothing compares to that. How can a tv like that gets a lot more image quality than mine. Am i missing something?

Thanks guys In advance
I use game mode and A.Js. settings and every game I play on my ps4 looks fantastic.
post #11415 of 12609 Old 07-29-2014, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Question for the 65X900A owners:

Does your set's whites get a pink cast when it is viewed off angle? Is this normal for these panels, or do I have a bad one?

I can take a picture of mine off-angle if you guys want.

Quote:

Thanks guys In advance
The Samsung F6300 is a plasma, isn't it? The motion resolution of a plasma destroys the native motion resolution of the X900A in Game Mode since Motionflow doesn't work in Game Mode. This is completely normal.

Last edited by Faceless Rebel; 07-29-2014 at 03:27 AM.
post #11416 of 12609 Old 07-29-2014, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So can someone explain the difference between the a and b version? Also anyone know if buy squad is a reputable online retailer? They seem to carry this tv way cheaper than anyone else.
post #11417 of 12609 Old 07-29-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by dignam View Post
So can someone explain the difference between the a and b version? Also anyone know if buy squad is a reputable online retailer? They seem to carry this tv way cheaper than anyone else.
I have never used buy squad, but a lot of the online retailers that sell them way cheap call you after placing an order. They tell you the only way to keep that low price is buying an extended warranty through them and some kind of special shipping. You also run the risk of dealing with a difficult return process if the product is not to your satisfaction They could be different and maybe someone else has used them.

The difference between the A and B are not massive, but are as follows:

B has the HEVC decoder for streaming 4k content
B has USB playback of 4k files
B has slightly better built in speakers with the option of the wireless sub.
B has a much higher brightness if needed
B has slightly better contrast IMO.

If this was a few months ago I would say definitely buy the A, but the B's have dropped to the point I think they are the better buy. The only thing the A has over the B is 3D. Also, the A series uses a quantom dot technolgy that they did not use in this years B. Honestly, I do not think it makes a difference and is more of a marketing term.

You can find a 65" B for around $4000
You can find the 65" A (if you can find it) for around $2700

If you want to watch 4k content on the A series your only real option today is the fmp x10, which is selling for $699. That makes the difference around $600, which I think makes the B a better option.

Last edited by Mattopotamus; 07-29-2014 at 05:51 AM.
post #11418 of 12609 Old 07-29-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

Does your set's whites get a pink cast when it is viewed off angle? Is this normal for these panels, or do I have a bad one?

The Samsung F6300 is a plasma, isn't it? The motion resolution of a plasma destroys the native motion resolution of the X900A in Game Mode since Motionflow doesn't work in Game Mode. This is completely normal.
@Sppedro ,
I'm curious to know the exact model that you saw in the store actually -- I have the 55 x900a and I'm always trying to get a good picture in Game mode with Fifa 14 on a ps3.

F6300 is a Samusng mid-tier LED. The plasma is the F8500.

Not sure if its just the 55 inch model of the x900a because no one else seems to have an issue with gaming, but I do notice the ghosting. I had a 46 inch 1080p KDL-V4100 (60hz native) before the x900a and game looked great on that set. On the x900a, it just looks "soft" and the blur is pretty evident in FIFA.

Not sure if its the 4k up-conversion that's making it worse.

Last edited by blitzftw; 07-29-2014 at 08:12 AM.
post #11419 of 12609 Old 07-29-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Those with a PS4, the 3D update is available.
RiED27880 and luism2008 like this.
post #11420 of 12609 Old 07-29-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Well, the X10 went back to Sony today. I just couldn't justify a $500 sticker price for a device that adds virtually nothing to the 55X900A experience. It doesn't seem like adding new content to their library is a priority, and I saw virtually no difference in picture quality to excuse spending $8 on a 4K film rental when a Netflix Blu-Ray will acquit itself just fine. (And without the 10-hour lag time for a download. Streaming content has spoiled me.)

House of Cards truly is beautiful, but being shot with 4K cameras makes a tremendous difference vs. post-conversion. I still think the 900A is a fine unit, but I sensed the X10 would do little more than collect dust. A year from now, we're likely to see a reasonably-priced media hub and probably more native content. In this instance, being an early adopter didn't make sense for me. Everyone's mileage may vary.
wase4711 and RiED27880 like this.
post #11421 of 12609 Old 07-29-2014, 01:34 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by halon View Post
Thanks for the head's up. I've been waiting to buy a PS4 until they kicked in 3D playback.
post #11422 of 12609 Old 07-29-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzftw View Post
@Sppedro ,
I'm curious to know the exact model that you saw in the store actually -- I have the 55 x900a and I'm always trying to get a good picture in Game mode with Fifa 14 on a ps3.

F6300 is a Samusng mid-tier LED. The plasma is the F8500.

Not sure if its just the 55 inch model of the x900a because no one else seems to have an issue with gaming, but I do notice the ghosting. I had a 46 inch 1080p KDL-V4100 (60hz native) before the x900a and game looked great on that set. On the x900a, it just looks "soft" and the blur is pretty evident in FIFA.

Not sure if its the 4k up-conversion that's making it worse.
I have the 65" model and there is definitely some issue with ghosting on this set. Since you saw it with the 55" model which uses a different panel, I suspect it might be the 4K upscaling which is causing the issue. I've tried the same games on regular 1080p sets and there is definitely less visible ghosting even on sets which cost a fraction of what the X900A's pricing originally was.

You can make the image less "soft" by enabling Reality Creation and playing with the Resolution slider, this seems to alter how much the 4K upscaler attempts to maintain image sharpness but without the obvious edge-enhancement the other sliders like Sharpness cause. I have not however found a way to improve the ghosting on this set while gaming.

The various Motionflow modes all seem to work fine on this set, movies and TV look great with no blurring, which suggests Sony just didn't pay enough attention to native motion resolution on the first-gen 4K sets with Motionflow off even though Game Mode disables Motionflow entirely.
post #11423 of 12609 Old 07-29-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo12 View Post
Well, the X10 went back to Sony today. I just couldn't justify a $500 sticker price for a device that adds virtually nothing to the 55X900A experience. It doesn't seem like adding new content to their library is a priority, and I saw virtually no difference in picture quality to excuse spending $8 on a 4K film rental when a Netflix Blu-Ray will acquit itself just fine. (And without the 10-hour lag time for a download. Streaming content has spoiled me.)

House of Cards truly is beautiful, but being shot with 4K cameras makes a tremendous difference vs. post-conversion. I still think the 900A is a fine unit, but I sensed the X10 would do little more than collect dust. A year from now, we're likely to see a reasonably-priced media hub and probably more native content. In this instance, being an early adopter didn't make sense for me. Everyone's mileage may vary.
exactly the reason i chose to wait this time around lol X1 was 700 dollars as well, but atleast it was 2 TB and came with 10 4k movies preloaded in its HD. Still collected dust so i sold it. Now lets see what happens at this next CES 2015.
wase4711 and Mdjones9137 like this.
post #11424 of 12609 Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks guys In advance
Try dynamic range, set it on "limited" it might help!!
post #11425 of 12609 Old 07-29-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I finally got my XBR65X900A up on a stand this weekend and moved a sofa into my previously empty TV room (empty since the total house reno for a year now!!!)

I have to say, I am very impressed with the set. Black levels are very impressive and overall, it really does a great job on DirecTV DVR. At this size, you can really tell the difference between 720p and 1080i, and there is a tremendous difference between letting the DirectTV DVR do the upscaling, vs, setting the DVR to output native and letting the XBR do the uplift.

Sound - mixed bag. The built in speakers are a bit, "tinny". On the other hand, it is attractive not having to deal with external speakers and a receiver and so on. Fewer buttons to push. On the plus side, there are a great deal of audio options available to tweak the sound for various situations, eq, compression, vocal enhancement and so on. That is a really nice feature, way better than the typical 1" PC speakers firing at the ground and a volume control you get on most (even high end displays).

Downsides -

Shading. The panel does have visible "pooling" or "shading". All LCD's do and this is no exception. However, it is within the realm of acceptable.

White balance: This one is frustrating me. In "warm 2" I'm having a tough time with the color balance. It just doesn't seem right. I can't seem to reach an acceptable 6500k grey scale without some substantial tuning. The default settings have a weird "green-blue" and purply thing going on, which is disappointing. I wish I had a color calibrator, I'd like to set it up properly. I spent much of my college days in a TV repair shop (back when TV's were all CRT and pretty much only watches had LCD's). I've set lots of greyscale setups so have a pretty good idea what they should look like. I did an eyeball setup with some black and white programming and got something I'm reasonably OK with. Like I said, need a color calibrator to really set it up properly.

All in all though, a very good set with a great picture. Can get very film like and the blacks can be very inky.

Crutchfield put my FMP-X10 on "indefinite" ship date. So no idea when that is coming and may just cancel it. I have a feeling, though I could be wrong, that in a year or two, we'll see Google, Amazon and Netflix with a 4k streamer that cost like $99 and is the size of a deck of cards.

nuke
post #11426 of 12609 Old 07-30-2014, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

This set (and almost all recent sony 4k) have a very narrow sweet spot for viewing angle. It will be less noticeable at stores in torch mode though. Not just whites, but everything should shade a little, and mine even has worse flashlighting from the top center when viewed from off angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
The difference between the A and B are not massive, but are as follows:

B has the HEVC decoder for streaming 4k content
B has USB playback of 4k files
B has slightly better built in speakers with the option of the wireless sub.
B has a much higher brightness if needed
B has slightly better contrast IMO.

If this was a few months ago I would say definitely buy the A, but the B's have dropped to the point I think they are the better buy. The only thing the A has over the B is 3D. Also, the A series uses a quantom dot technolgy that they did not use in this years B. Honestly, I do not think it makes a difference and is more of a marketing term.

You can find a 65" B for around $4000
You can find the 65" A (if you can find it) for around $2700

If you want to watch 4k content on the A series your only real option today is the fmp x10, which is selling for $699. That makes the difference around $600, which I think makes the B a better option.
I wouldn't call a $1300 difference (in best case pricing of the B) insignificant though. That is practically another lesser set. With the limited 4K content out there and copy protection schemes, unless you already have a specific need for the 4K playback options on the B, you'll probably want some type of external box for both sets anyway. And that awful (subjective) sawhorse stand on the B and wedge shape can be an issue for some setups. I thought the brightness of the A would be an issue, but after using it for a while, I don't even notice it anymore.

And it looks like bestbuy dropped the A to $2500 now. Must really need to move those last few.
post #11427 of 12609 Old 07-30-2014, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halon View Post

I just went on my ps4 settings and noticed that my 900a is listed as BRAVIA in the Bluetooth devices.. anyone know that that would be for?
post #11428 of 12609 Old 07-30-2014, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by luism2008 View Post
I just went on my ps4 settings and noticed that my 900a is listed as BRAVIA in the Bluetooth devices.. anyone know that that would be for?
B.c it is a bravia TV....

That is sonys line of TVs.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #11429 of 12609 Old 07-30-2014, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post
I finally got my XBR65X900A up on a stand this weekend and moved a sofa into my previously empty TV room (empty since the total house reno for a year now!!!)

I have to say, I am very impressed with the set. Black levels are very impressive and overall, it really does a great job on DirecTV DVR. At this size, you can really tell the difference between 720p and 1080i, and there is a tremendous difference between letting the DirectTV DVR do the upscaling, vs, setting the DVR to output native and letting the XBR do the uplift.

Sound - mixed bag. The built in speakers are a bit, "tinny". On the other hand, it is attractive not having to deal with external speakers and a receiver and so on. Fewer buttons to push. On the plus side, there are a great deal of audio options available to tweak the sound for various situations, eq, compression, vocal enhancement and so on. That is a really nice feature, way better than the typical 1" PC speakers firing at the ground and a volume control you get on most (even high end displays).

Downsides -

Shading. The panel does have visible "pooling" or "shading". All LCD's do and this is no exception. However, it is within the realm of acceptable.

White balance: This one is frustrating me. In "warm 2" I'm having a tough time with the color balance. It just doesn't seem right. I can't seem to reach an acceptable 6500k grey scale without some substantial tuning. The default settings have a weird "green-blue" and purply thing going on, which is disappointing. I wish I had a color calibrator, I'd like to set it up properly. I spent much of my college days in a TV repair shop (back when TV's were all CRT and pretty much only watches had LCD's). I've set lots of greyscale setups so have a pretty good idea what they should look like. I did an eyeball setup with some black and white programming and got something I'm reasonably OK with. Like I said, need a color calibrator to really set it up properly.

All in all though, a very good set with a great picture. Can get very film like and the blacks can be very inky.

Crutchfield put my FMP-X10 on "indefinite" ship date. So no idea when that is coming and may just cancel it. I have a feeling, though I could be wrong, that in a year or two, we'll see Google, Amazon and Netflix with a 4k streamer that cost like $99 and is the size of a deck of cards.
Nuke, did you try Austin Jerry's settings? They look fantastic on my 65. Only diff is that I just cannot get use to Warm2 and use Warm1. I know it's technically not correct but it's more pleasing to me and that's what counts in the end .
Gerry
post #11430 of 12609 Old 07-30-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
4K Question

Just a quick question about 4K streaming video (movies), when streaming at 30fps as compared to streaming at 60fps, is there a significant increase in picture quality? Any thoughts are appreciated....
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page