Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 381 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11401 of 11411 Old Today, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've got the chance to purchase an FMP-X5 for a little over £200. What do you think, worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11402 of 11411 Old Today, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK thanks for the info guys. So I plan on getting the 4K media player from Sony. When I went to the webpage link to check to see if I need the upgrade and put in my serial number it said it wasnt sure if I need the upgrade and I need the 4 K player in order to check for it. I wont be able to get the New 4K player for a few weeks since we are leaving for a 2 week vacation and they are not in stock as of yet from my Sony contact. Is there a certain time frame I have before I wont be eligible for this upgrade if I need one? Also whats involved in the upgrade? Do they need to service the back of the tv? I can pull it off the wall if need be but being the monster that it is im not really looking forward to it BUT what has to be done must be done. I will check out the user setting you mentioned. Tanks again for all your help. OH one more quick question. I have a Roku 3 player which I use for my plex server. I also see I can use the Sony TV for Plex as well as Netflix and Amazon. Is there any picture quality differences between using the Sony TV Netflix and Plex compared to when you are using the same ones via the Roku 3? The Plex media on the Sony is horrible compared to the Roku since you cant receive any cover art as well as other menus Plex offers. BUT if the picture quality is much better by using the internal apps of the Sony then I will go that route. I know the TV is supposed to up-convert everything to 4K anyways so not sure if it actually makes a difference
either way I go. Im sure the Sony 4K player is the way to go when it comes out but not sure if you can add Plex to the Sony 4K media player like you can the $99.00 Roku 3.
post #11403 of 11411 Old Today, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtypeoxx View Post
OK thanks for the info guys. So I plan on getting the 4K media player from Sony. When I went to the webpage link to check to see if I need the upgrade and put in my serial number it said it wasnt sure if I need the upgrade and I need the 4 K player in order to check for it. I wont be able to get the New 4K player for a few weeks since we are leaving for a 2 week vacation and they are not in stock as of yet from my Sony contact. Is there a certain time frame I have before I wont be eligible for this upgrade if I need one? Also whats involved in the upgrade? Do they need to service the back of the tv? I can pull it off the wall if need be but being the monster that it is im not really looking forward to it BUT what has to be done must be done. I will check out the user setting you mentioned. Tanks again for all your help. OH one more quick question. I have a Roku 3 player which I use for my plex server. I also see I can use the Sony TV for Plex as well as Netflix and Amazon. Is there any picture quality differences between using the Sony TV Netflix and Plex compared to when you are using the same ones via the Roku 3? The Plex media on the Sony is horrible compared to the Roku since you cant receive any cover art as well as other menus Plex offers. BUT if the picture quality is much better by using the internal apps of the Sony then I will go that route. I know the TV is supposed to up-convert everything to 4K anyways so not sure if it actually makes a difference
either way I go. Im sure the Sony 4K player is the way to go when it comes out but not sure if you can add Plex to the Sony 4K media player like you can the $99.00 Roku 3.
Click that you have a media player. It's the only way it will tell you if you need the upgrade. Also as a double check see if there is a sticker on the box with a pic of the X1 on it. As a third check look at the back of your TV for the build date. Only some sets built way back in March timeframe of 2013 needed it.

Also, I have a roku 3 that I used on my last TV before getting my 65X a week ago. I now use the TV for Netflix/Amazon as they look great. Only use roku for hbogo, epic now (do not use plex).

As far as the X10- if you didn't preorder it at $500 then personally I don't think it's worth $700 at this point. You would only gain some 4K clips, Netflix limited 4k & some expensive movies at sony video unlimited. I would wait until there is another sale on it before purchase.
Gerry

Last edited by ggw2000; Today at 01:54 PM.
post #11404 of 11411 Old Today, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 176
The existing rule of thumb for A model sets, is, if the HDMI(4) connector is all by itself on the left side (on the rear of the TV) you're going to need the board. If it's clustered with the other HDMI inputs, you're good to go.

It's hard to access pics from the forum history, but here is one of the back of the TV. If yours looks like it, then the board is already there. Pic two is when my set was taken apart a year ago for the board install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg new version.jpeg (54.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg board change.jpg (219.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by LeeSoFl; Today at 02:19 PM.
post #11405 of 11411 Old Today, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
The existing rule of thumb for A model sets, is, if the HDMI(4) connector is all by itself on the left side (on the rear of the TV) you're going to need the board. If it's clustered with the other HDMI inputs, you're good to go.

It's hard to access pics from the forum history, but here is one of the back of the TV. If yours looks like it, then the board is already there. Pic two is when my set was taken apart a year ago for the board install.
Mine has the HDMI 4 port by itself with a build date of 4/13. It had the sticker on the box and 4kactivation says I don't need the update (built in Japan). Go figure . Of course the final truth will be when my X10 gets here eventually.
Gerry
post #11406 of 11411 Old Today, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So after my OCD issues, always finding a flaw on my 55X900A(5th panel) Sony is sending me a 55X900B as I requested. So stoked and since the 55A doesn't have the 3D res as the 65, I'm ok with active since I demoed it at Sony store. Glad I didn't pick up the X10 for Netflix 4K.
post #11407 of 11411 Old Today, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im pretty sure I have the hdmi 4 port separate from the rest of the HDMI ports. Its hung on the wall now so id have to climb up there and check. I took the box to the dumb just yesterday too after I verified the tv worked ok. The 4K sony site wont let me verify if I need the upgrade unless I actually have a Sony FMP-X1 to see if it works or not. So now I have to either buy the older Sony FMP-X1 ( which BTW are pretty damn cheap now ) or get the new one when they start shipping. Whats the difference between the new one and old one besides hard drive? Is it worth spending the extra money or just pick up an older version for say $300.00. I take it this is the only way to get true 4K content on these TVs right now. Ill have to do some reading up when I get some time on these Sony TVs now that I actually own one. I wasnt even in the market for a new TV for the bedroom but at that price I couldn't pass it up. Compared to my LG Google TV I had before this is a dream.
post #11408 of 11411 Old Today, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Just to update you, they granted my request to change models. It was nearly an identical price swap though. They did ask if I wanted the 900b for $700 more, so it still would have been cheaper than buying the 900b at a store by nearly $800.

Sony had my original purchases price higher. I later got a price match, that is why the 900 was offered so cheap.
Did they say the were going to charge you? So far I have no charge nor email saying they'd charge me. I'm assuming it's a straight replacement. Hope not but I'll call and confirm tomorrow, thanks.
post #11409 of 11411 Old Today, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtypeoxx View Post
Im pretty sure I have the hdmi 4 port separate from the rest of the HDMI ports. Its hung on the wall now so id have to climb up there and check. I took the box to the dumb just yesterday too after I verified the tv worked ok. The 4K sony site wont let me verify if I need the upgrade unless I actually have a Sony FMP-X1 to see if it works or not. So now I have to either buy the older Sony FMP-X1 ( which BTW are pretty damn cheap now ) or get the new one when they start shipping. Whats the difference between the new one and old one besides hard drive? Is it worth spending the extra money or just pick up an older version for say $300.00. I take it this is the only way to get true 4K content on these TVs right now. Ill have to do some reading up when I get some time on these Sony TVs now that I actually own one. I wasnt even in the market for a new TV for the bedroom but at that price I couldn't pass it up. Compared to my LG Google TV I had before this is a dream.
On the site, just check the box saying you already have the player. You don't have to like enter the player serial number or anything. This will at least let you get to the page where it tells you whether you need the upgrade or not.

Now, if your TV actually DOES need the upgrade, then you would probably have to prove you had a player in order to get it. But to just check if you need it, you can "lie" and just say you have it already.

I did the same thing - did not check the box at first and it told me you need the player to get the upgrade. Then I just checked the box saying I had the player and then it told me my TV did not need the upgrade.
post #11410 of 11411 Old Today, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
As far as the X10- if you didn't preorder it at $500 then personally I don't think it's worth $700 at this point. You would only gain some 4K clips, Netflix limited 4k & some expensive movies at sony video unlimited. I would wait until there is another sale on it before purchase.
Gerry
Agree with Gerry on the X10 pricing. I would wait. For me personally, it's hard to stomach the price of what is basically a glorified hard drive to store and play movies.

My pc is capable of outputting 4k (up to 30 fps). It's a shame I don't have the option to buy a movie on my PC and play it that way instead of handing over a chunk of cash to Sony just to gain the ability to then hand over even more cash for the actual movies. I thought one of the big "selling points" of this magical all digital future is that it would be easier and more convenient to gain access to content. I suppose the issue with Sony is that they are trying to make it so that the content only plays on their TV, right? These 4k players only work with Sony TVs correct? What are the owners of other 4k TVs doing for content?

I look forward to competition to the Sony player, and, hopefully one day, a 4k blu ray format. For now, I am content to stream YouTube clips in 4k from my PC, and enjoy fantastic HD 3D on blu ray.

But, to each their own. 4k content is beautiful, and I can certainly see how others want the 4k players now and are willing to accept the price.
post #11411 of 11411 Old Today, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Mine has the HDMI 4 port by itself with a build date of 4/13. It had the sticker on the box and 4kactivation says I don't need the update (built in Japan). Go figure . Of course the final truth will be when my X10 gets here eventually.
Gerry
Please report back if all is well. I am in a similar situation, I have port 4 by itself, but site says I am good to go, and also had the media player sticker on box.

I am not interested in buying the media player at the moment (maybe if it drops in price significantly) so am a little worried that I have no way of actually verifying that my TV does not need the upgrade. Will feel better if you report back that all is well once you get your player.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page