Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 382 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11431 of 11433 Old Today, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post
I finally got my XBR65X900A up on a stand this weekend and moved a sofa into my previously empty TV room (empty since the total house reno for a year now!!!)

I have to say, I am very impressed with the set. Black levels are very impressive and overall, it really does a great job on DirecTV DVR. At this size, you can really tell the difference between 720p and 1080i, and there is a tremendous difference between letting the DirectTV DVR do the upscaling, vs, setting the DVR to output native and letting the XBR do the uplift.

Sound - mixed bag. The built in speakers are a bit, "tinny". On the other hand, it is attractive not having to deal with external speakers and a receiver and so on. Fewer buttons to push. On the plus side, there are a great deal of audio options available to tweak the sound for various situations, eq, compression, vocal enhancement and so on. That is a really nice feature, way better than the typical 1" PC speakers firing at the ground and a volume control you get on most (even high end displays).

Downsides -

Shading. The panel does have visible "pooling" or "shading". All LCD's do and this is no exception. However, it is within the realm of acceptable.

White balance: This one is frustrating me. In "warm 2" I'm having a tough time with the color balance. It just doesn't seem right. I can't seem to reach an acceptable 6500k grey scale without some substantial tuning. The default settings have a weird "green-blue" and purply thing going on, which is disappointing. I wish I had a color calibrator, I'd like to set it up properly. I spent much of my college days in a TV repair shop (back when TV's were all CRT and pretty much only watches had LCD's). I've set lots of greyscale setups so have a pretty good idea what they should look like. I did an eyeball setup with some black and white programming and got something I'm reasonably OK with. Like I said, need a color calibrator to really set it up properly.

All in all though, a very good set with a great picture. Can get very film like and the blacks can be very inky.

Crutchfield put my FMP-X10 on "indefinite" ship date. So no idea when that is coming and may just cancel it. I have a feeling, though I could be wrong, that in a year or two, we'll see Google, Amazon and Netflix with a 4k streamer that cost like $99 and is the size of a deck of cards.
Nuke, did you try Austin Jerry's settings? They look fantastic on my 65. Only diff is that I just cannot get use to Warm2 and use Warm1. I know it's technically not correct but it's more pleasing to me and that's what counts in the end .
Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11432 of 11433 Old Today, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4K Question

Just a quick question about 4K streaming video (movies), when streaming at 30fps as compared to streaming at 60fps, is there a significant increase in picture quality? Any thoughts are appreciated....
post #11433 of 11433 Old Today, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 80
unless I missed something, there is nothing we can stream at 60 fps at this point, so you question is meaningless..
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page