Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 382 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11431 of 11445 Old Today, 03:16 AM
Senior Member
 
ggw2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post
I finally got my XBR65X900A up on a stand this weekend and moved a sofa into my previously empty TV room (empty since the total house reno for a year now!!!)

I have to say, I am very impressed with the set. Black levels are very impressive and overall, it really does a great job on DirecTV DVR. At this size, you can really tell the difference between 720p and 1080i, and there is a tremendous difference between letting the DirectTV DVR do the upscaling, vs, setting the DVR to output native and letting the XBR do the uplift.

Sound - mixed bag. The built in speakers are a bit, "tinny". On the other hand, it is attractive not having to deal with external speakers and a receiver and so on. Fewer buttons to push. On the plus side, there are a great deal of audio options available to tweak the sound for various situations, eq, compression, vocal enhancement and so on. That is a really nice feature, way better than the typical 1" PC speakers firing at the ground and a volume control you get on most (even high end displays).

Downsides -

Shading. The panel does have visible "pooling" or "shading". All LCD's do and this is no exception. However, it is within the realm of acceptable.

White balance: This one is frustrating me. In "warm 2" I'm having a tough time with the color balance. It just doesn't seem right. I can't seem to reach an acceptable 6500k grey scale without some substantial tuning. The default settings have a weird "green-blue" and purply thing going on, which is disappointing. I wish I had a color calibrator, I'd like to set it up properly. I spent much of my college days in a TV repair shop (back when TV's were all CRT and pretty much only watches had LCD's). I've set lots of greyscale setups so have a pretty good idea what they should look like. I did an eyeball setup with some black and white programming and got something I'm reasonably OK with. Like I said, need a color calibrator to really set it up properly.

All in all though, a very good set with a great picture. Can get very film like and the blacks can be very inky.

Crutchfield put my FMP-X10 on "indefinite" ship date. So no idea when that is coming and may just cancel it. I have a feeling, though I could be wrong, that in a year or two, we'll see Google, Amazon and Netflix with a 4k streamer that cost like $99 and is the size of a deck of cards.
Nuke, did you try Austin Jerry's settings? They look fantastic on my 65. Only diff is that I just cannot get use to Warm2 and use Warm1. I know it's technically not correct but it's more pleasing to me and that's what counts in the end .
Gerry
ggw2000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11432 of 11445 Old Today, 07:07 AM
Newbie
 
aoktulsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4K Question

Just a quick question about 4K streaming video (movies), when streaming at 30fps as compared to streaming at 60fps, is there a significant increase in picture quality? Any thoughts are appreciated....
aoktulsa is offline  
post #11433 of 11445 Old Today, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
wase4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 83
unless I missed something, there is nothing we can stream at 60 fps at this point, so you question is meaningless..
RiED27880 likes this.
wase4711 is offline  
post #11434 of 11445 Old Today, 08:47 AM
Newbie
 
aoktulsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
unless I missed something, there is nothing we can stream at 60 fps at this point, so you question is meaningless..
Thank you for the prompt response, however, the reason we all want hdmi 2.0 is to have the ability to stream 60fps. Since you can stream 30fps using hdmi 1.4, will it make that much difference if you have the ability to stream at the higher frames per second rate from a picture quality standpoint. Any thoughts are appreciated...,,
aoktulsa is offline  
post #11435 of 11445 Old Today, 10:09 AM
Member
 
luism2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
B.c it is a bravia TV....

That is sonys line of TVs.
Cool..but what functional use is there to it?
luism2008 is offline  
post #11436 of 11445 Old Today, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
wase4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoktulsa View Post
Thank you for the prompt response, however, the reason we all want hdmi 2.0 is to have the ability to stream 60fps. Since you can stream 30fps using hdmi 1.4, will it make that much difference if you have the ability to stream at the higher frames per second rate from a picture quality standpoint. Any thoughts are appreciated...,,
We'll let you know whenever some 60fps content to stream actually exists..
RiED27880 and Rodymx like this.
wase4711 is offline  
post #11437 of 11445 Old Today, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by luism2008 View Post
Cool..but what functional use is there to it?
oh haha, it can mirror your tablet/android phone.
wase4711 likes this.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #11438 of 11445 Old Today, 11:39 AM
Member
 
Rodymx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
We'll let you know whenever some 60fps content to stream actually exists..
Yes this is correct... No 60fps content avaliable sniff...
Rodymx is offline  
post #11439 of 11445 Old Today, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
nuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Nuke, did you try Austin Jerry's settings? They look fantastic on my 65. Only diff is that I just cannot get use to Warm2 and use Warm1. I know it's technically not correct but it's more pleasing to me and that's what counts in the end .
Gerry
I did, but to my eye balls, the white balance on my particular panel needs a different setup than his.

I agree that Warm1 appears better out of the box. Warm2 seems really green to me, which is odd, since I've been watching another pretty decent set for years that does a good job in warm. (a sammy).

On the 900A, I can't seem to hit a grayscale that present the NTSC color bars with yellow and cyan in the right way. If I adjust hue to get cyan the same as my calibrated computer monitor, then the yellow bar is clearly too orange. When I get yellow right, then cyan is too blue.

I think if I can just get the white point of the greyscale established properly at D65, the rest will fall into place.

nuke
nuke is offline  
post #11440 of 11445 Old Today, 01:12 PM
Senior Member
 
ggw2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have been using AJs settings. Last night I decided to look at the Motionflow stuff. AJs settings has it set to "off". I flipped through them all and couldn't believe how dark the pic gets when you get to "clear plus" and beyond. Clear doesn't seem to have any affect on brightness. I have been running clear since yesterday but not sure that there is any diff between it and off? Anyone have any idea what the diff is or are using "clear"?
Thanks, Gerry
ggw2000 is offline  
post #11441 of 11445 Old Today, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
I have been using AJs settings. Last night I decided to look at the Motionflow stuff. AJs settings has it set to "off". I flipped through them all and couldn't believe how dark the pic gets when you get to "clear plus" and beyond. Clear doesn't seem to have any affect on brightness. I have been running clear since yesterday but not sure that there is any diff between it and off? Anyone have any idea what the diff is or are using "clear"?
Thanks, Gerry
Mostly everything looks good with clear, but some shows/movies will get a really bad SOE.

Instead of toggling it on and off it is easier to leave off. I think sports look better on clear though.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #11442 of 11445 Old Today, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
ggw2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Mostly everything looks good with clear, but some shows/movies will get a really bad SOE.

Instead of toggling it on and off it is easier to leave off. I think sports look better on clear though.
Thanks for the reply. Now I understand- the old SOE thingy! I have not seen it yet but now I will understand the problem if it crops up.
Thanks again, Gerry
ggw2000 is offline  
post #11443 of 11445 Old Today, 04:43 PM
Member
 
DiscoSmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Appalachia
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
I have been using AJs settings. Last night I decided to look at the Motionflow stuff. AJs settings has it set to "off". I flipped through them all and couldn't believe how dark the pic gets when you get to "clear plus" and beyond. Clear doesn't seem to have any affect on brightness. I have been running clear since yesterday but not sure that there is any diff between it and off? Anyone have any idea what the diff is or are using "clear"?
Thanks, Gerry
I was playing an Xbox 360 game, Dust: An Elysian Tail, which is a 2D smooth scrolling exploration/beat-em-up. In Game Scene, there was some smearing of detail when scrolling. In Custom Scene, with any Motionflow setting, this cleared right up, especially with Impulse, Clear Plus, and Clear. Clear was my favorite. I thought I saw a little jitter with Clear Plus. Impulse is great, but dark. I need to grab my HDMI splitter and another LCD display for a real comparison.

I also want to check the effect of Super Bit Mapping on scrolling.

Last edited by DiscoSmoke; Today at 04:50 PM.
DiscoSmoke is offline  
post #11444 of 11445 Old Today, 06:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSmoke View Post
I was playing an Xbox 360 game, Dust: An Elysian Tail, which is a 2D smooth scrolling exploration/beat-em-up. In Game Scene, there was some smearing of detail when scrolling. In Custom Scene, with any Motionflow setting, this cleared right up, especially with Impulse, Clear Plus, and Clear. Clear was my favorite. I thought I saw a little jitter with Clear Plus. Impulse is great, but dark. I need to grab my HDMI splitter and another LCD display for a real comparison.

I also want to check the effect of Super Bit Mapping on scrolling.
I will have to try that out. I just picked up Last of us PS4 and with game mode on it has crazy motion blur. Of course when nothing was moving fast the picture looked unreal. I switched to just regular cinema mode with AJ's settings and it was better.

The real question......when switching out of game mode what the input lag is Game Mode vs Any other mode.
Mayor77 is offline  
post #11445 of 11445 Old Today, 07:56 PM
Member
 
ws6whiteshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crownsville, MD
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ended up pulling the trigger tonight on an "open box" display model of the XBR65X900A at BB for $2,174.99. I used $105 in rewards money for a total of $2,069.99 plus sales tax. Should receive it in a couple days. It was between the 900A and a Samsung 65" F8000. My wife likes the 900A looks over the Samsung's F8000. I didn't care either way, just wanted a good deal... I think I got it.
ws6whiteshark is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off