Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 384 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11491 of 12127 Old 08-02-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
I'm assuming the audio is ahead of the picture on your 900A. On the X10, it's called A/V Sync:

You can delay the output of audio to minimize the time gap between audio output and a visual display using [A/V SYNC].

Press arrows to select an item you want, then press + to confirm.
Select (Settings) – [Sound] from the Home menu.
Select [A/V SYNC].
Select the setting you want.
0 ms (factory default setting): The time gap between the audio output and visual display is not adjusted.
10 ms – 300 ms: You can adjust the delay from 10 ms to 300 ms in 10 ms intervals.
Oh okay. That's convenient. Do you know how long the delay should be on the 65X900A? I haven't seen a specific lag number myself for this TV when using the Cinema scene.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11492 of 12127 Old 08-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post
Oh okay. That's convenient. Do you know how long the delay should be on the 65X900A? I haven't seen a specific lag number myself for this TV when using the Cinema scene.
I'd say a reasonable starting point if you're seeing lip sync issues would be 30ms. Walk it around from there with a scene that has a lot of dialogue and close up shots.

The adjustable range is wide enough that you're sure to find a number that fills the bill.
post #11493 of 12127 Old 08-02-2014, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I want to take advantage of mastered in 4k movies.

I have my ps4 directly connected to my 65x900a. Are there any speacial settings i should activate for optimum recommended settings?

I want to make sure that I have my settings for xvYCC active

Any changes in PS4 settings?

[Video Output Settings].

RGB Range
Change this only when you use an HDMI device that does not send RGB range information correctly.
Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Range
Change this only when you use an HDMI device that does not send Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr range information correctly.
Deep Color Output
Change this setting only if video is not displayed properly.

Any settings adjustments I should make on my 900a?

Thanks
post #11494 of 12127 Old 08-02-2014, 08:15 PM

Wink

Quote:
Is there a dedicated thread for the FMP-X10 on this forum? I just got mine and played with it a little bit, and I have to say the people who say you can't see the difference between 1080p and 4K are crazy or blind. After just watching a couple of free movie previews, the difference was easily apparent on my 65X900A.

The cost to buy a movie is pretty crazy though, $35 is pretty steep for just a digital movie with no bonus content. And you're really supposed to pay $4 an episode for Breaking Bad? I'm bad at math but even I know that $4 x 62 episodes = $248, is this supposed to be a bad joke Sony?
I have netflix for 8 dollars a month you can watch all Breaking Bad shows in 4k
post #11495 of 12127 Old 08-02-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by luism2008 View Post
Sure, if you purchase a X10 player for $700, or have some fancy way to use a HTPC. What is your point?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11496 of 12127 Old 08-02-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sure, if you purchase a X10 player for $700, or have some fancy way to use a HTPC. What is your point?
??

I figure if you already HAVE the player as I think he says he does and he wants to watch Breaking Bad as he seems to say he does.. he could get Netflix..

As to the expensiveness of the whole subject he is totally correct..

my 2 cents
post #11497 of 12127 Old 08-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 98
looks like most folks who bought the overpriced X10 are not happy with their purchase..

http://store.sony.com/sony-4k-ultra-...ternet-Players
RiED27880 and Mdjones9137 like this.
post #11498 of 12127 Old 08-03-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
looks like most folks who bought the overpriced X10 are not happy with their purchase..

That is a shame but confirms my decision to not buy it a good one.
Thanks for the info.

I see Samsung is giving their player away free today with the purchase of a 4K tv.
wase4711 and wk1947 like this.

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 08-03-2014 at 10:05 AM.
post #11499 of 12127 Old 08-03-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

Hopefully Sony gets the memo and drops those prices, not many people want to spend 700 bucks all over again for a player that has NO preloaded 4 k movies, 1TB, and Netflix 4k with little content on it. Did they not learn form last year? Worst part about it is, the people they are targeting to buy these players, (X900A owners) already know better than to hand them over 700 dollars all over again! They should have least given us a discount. Let see if competitors take advantage of this and come out with more affordable devices to stream 4k on our 2013 Bravias. My guess is they will jump on the oportunity, specialy apple and Amazon.
wase4711 and Mdjones9137 like this.
post #11500 of 12127 Old 08-03-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Hopefully Sony gets the memo and drops those prices, not many people want to spend 700 bucks all over again for a player that has NO preloaded 4 k movies, 1TB, and Netflix 4k with little content on it. Did they not learn form last year? Worst part about it is, the people they are targeting to buy these players, (X900A owners) already know better than to hand them over 700 dollars all over again! They should have least given us a discount. Let see if competitors take advantage of this and come out with more affordable devices to stream 4k on our 2013 Bravias. My guess is they will jump on the oportunity, specialy apple and Amazon.
They should give every owner of the A a voucher in my opinion. This TV was being sold when you and i bought it as 4k ready for Netflix.
I won't get fooled again.
wase4711 and RiED27880 like this.
post #11501 of 12127 Old 08-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
That is a shame but confirms my decision to not buy it a good one.
Thanks for the info.

I see Samsung is giving their player away free today with the purchase of a 4K tv.
Quote:
Hey, I want a 4k streamer as much as anyone else here does, but the sony option is a pathetic, horrible, over priced one at this point
post #11502 of 12127 Old 08-03-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
They should give every owner of the A a voucher in my opinion. This TV was being sold when you and i bought it as 4k ready for Netflix.
I won't get fooled again.
that's exactly right! and for those of us who paid premium prizes for our A series last year, it should have been a no brainer. you live and learn i guess!

Quote:
Hey, I want a 4k streamer as much as anyone else here does, but the sony option is a pathetic, horrible, over priced one at this point
yup! 4k content is gorgeous to see in our 4k tvs, but the selection of content and ridiculous prices makes me think that they are not clearly paying attention. Do you remember that survey they (Sony) sent last year via email asking us what we thought so far of the fmp-x1??? i'm pretty sure they also did NOT get a kind response from most customers. lol smh
wase4711 likes this.
post #11503 of 12127 Old 08-03-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luism2008 View Post
Oh nice, Breaking Bad is streaming in 4K on Netflix? I didn't know that since I don't have Netflix. But sure I'll sign up for Netflix if I can watch all of that show for $8 a month, it sure beats what Video Unlimited 4K is charging
post #11504 of 12127 Old 08-03-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
that's exactly right! and for those of us who paid premium prizes for our A series last year, it should have been a no brainer. you live and learn
Also a firmware to enable 4k to be played via the usb like the B tv
RiED27880 likes this.
post #11505 of 12127 Old 08-03-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Oh nice, Breaking Bad is streaming in 4K on Netflix? I didn't know that since I don't have Netflix. But sure I'll sign up for Netflix if I can watch all of that show for $8 a month, it sure beats what Video Unlimited 4K is charging
Netflix is $9 a month for new subscriptions but is worth it.
luism2008 likes this.
post #11506 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Lots of searching and I'm still a bit confused about motion blur. With my sony hx-800 (240Hz), I was gaming with the smooth setting enabled. The lag never bothered me since I'm not a competitive gamer. There were definitely some artifacts to be found, but they were minimal and I could look past them. What I really like though was the incredibly smooth motion. Textures didn't seem too lose resolution. For example, when I panned the camera quickly, signs on buildings and textures on walls all were Crystal clear. Moving fast through the environment in Watch Dogs gave the illusion of a much higher frame rate, which I guess makes sense since there was interpolation happening?

On my new x9, the PQ is worlds better (especially contrast), but when I enable motionflow smooth, the super clear detail when sweeping the camera isn't much more noticeable than having it off, and even the same artifacts are present. Of course, this is not playing in game mode since the motionflow setting is unavailable.

Basically, all movement in games looks losses detail, it becomes "blurry". If I didn't enable motion flow in my old set, I never would have known there was a difference. But when I did, it was a "wow" moment. I can't replicate that on the x9. So, here are my questions...

-was the smoothing better on the old set because of the 240Hz panel?

-is what I'm noticing actually considered motion blur? To be clear, there's no overdrive trailing, artifacts, halos, etc. It looks just like what I've been used to games looking like, and wouldn't have noticed except I accidentally switched on motionflow on my old set and saw a big difference.

-most importantly, though, assuming interpolation is turned OFF, is what I'm seeing indicative of all displays, including plasma? I watched some YouTube vids of gaming on plasmas and they looked the same to me as the x9 without motionflow on. But I was watching then on my tablet, so maybe that was an issue?

Our do I have or all wrong and motion blur is something else entirely? Is playing a game on the x9 (or any other top end set) in game mode indicative of just how games look on all tv's?

This may be a strange question as, again, it never would have occurred to me to even ask except seeing video game on the old 240Hz panel with interpolation was quite a different (prettier) experience. Does a panny plasma look the same in game as a 240Hz panel with interpolation on? Something tells me "no", but I've been hearing for years how there is zero motion blur on plasmas. But maybe I'm not even talking about motion blur...

Sorry for the confusing post. I've been downright thrilled with the x9 in every way, but was hoping to get the same Crystal clear camera pans in gaming that I did on my old hx. Even with the bad lag, artifacts, just,etc.

As a side note, I have noticed the remarkable improvement in reaction time when using game mode. Just not getting that super smooth look.
post #11507 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

There are many causes of motion blur on HDTVs, but you're not supposed to play games without Game Mode on most unless you enjoy horrific input lag.

I've commented a bit about the blur I've noticed on my X900A, it's definitely more than your average 1080p set and it can be very distracting while gaming. I guess Sony wants gamers to suffer for their 4K. If it weren't for the fact I got the deal I did on mine I would have sent it back by now. As it is, this is probably going to be a 2-3 year TV and I'll eventually replace it with a 4K OLED down the road, assuming they fix the motion blur on OLEDs since you need to blink those OLEDs between refreshes to eliminate motion blur and right now nobody is bothering with that as the technology is still so immature.

I've played games on my Panasonic VT60 and the difference in motion resolution is night and day between your average plasma and an LCD HDTV in Game Mode. I would have kept gaming on my VT60 forever if it weren't for the fact that gaming left game HUDs all over the panel due to the burn-in and that was completely unacceptable. However Sony in their infinite wisdom never released a 65" model of the W900A otherwise I would have picked that one over my X900A because the W900A has Impulse in Game Mode.

Last edited by Faceless Rebel; 08-04-2014 at 03:06 AM.
post #11508 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've had the same issues with my 55 x900a when gaming (even in Game mode).

The same games actually look smoother on a sony 46" V4100 (60hz set from 2008) -- not sure if its due to the smaller size.
Games I've tried on ps3 (Fifa 14, NBA 2k14, Uncharted 3) all had motion blur on the x900a, with Fifa being the worst of the three. I thought maybe it was even DSE that was making it seem like blur, but after checking it with test images/videos, I realized my uniformity was actually pretty good.

I got the x900a for $1500 from frys, so I'm really conflicted on returning it just due to the motion blur on games since Blu-rays, etc look fantastic.
post #11509 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 07:33 AM

I dont want to bring this topic again, but i still dont understand why some people complain about the brightness on our set. I had to turn my back light to 6 because i find the image almost TOO bright at times, specialy with certain content. The picture pops, blacks are inky as ever, and i just dont see the need for a panel to be brighter as i keep reading from previous owners, specially on light controlled environment. I can understand the additional bells and whitles found on other models but brightness being an issue with the X9A? my rant of the day ;p lol
post #11510 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I dont want to bring this topic again, but i still dont understand why some people complain about the brightness on our set. I had to turn my back light to 6 because i find the image almost TOO bright at times, specialy with certain content. The picture pops, blacks are inky as ever, and i just dont see the need for a panel to be brighter as i keep reading from previous owners, specially on light controlled environment. I can understand the additional bells and whitles found on other models but brightness being an issue with the X9A? my rant of the day ;p lol
I guess everyone's eyes are different, and this leads to different perceptions on things like TV's, cell phones, etc..

I agree with you; my brightness is perfect, my picture is great, and I don't see 90% of the "issues" so many post about here, but, after awhile, you gotta just stop looking for "faults", and enjoy what you have!
post #11511 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I guess everyone's eyes are different, and this leads to different perceptions on things like TV's, cell phones, etc..

I agree with you; my brightness is perfect, my picture is great, and I don't see 90% of the "issues" so many post about here, but, after awhile, you gotta just stop looking for "faults", and enjoy what you have!
Absolutely. I still have my original panel - going on 1 year now and I don't have time to look for issues. I am too busy watching content on this awesome TV.
wase4711, everunman and RiED27880 like this.
post #11512 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 08:28 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
unless I missed something, there is nothing we can stream at 60 fps at this point, so you question is meaningless..
A computer desktop delivers 60 fps (default) at 3840x2160 without any problems. But since this screen dosent have displayport and no graphics card has hdmi 2.0 yet we cant really test if it supports 4:4:4 on any of the hdmi inputs. The panasonic AX800 does support 4:4:4 on one hdmi port + one display port

Useless as a computer screen if it only has 4:2:0

AMP: Hegel H100, DAC: Arcam rDAC, Speakers: Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T, TV: LG Oled 55EC930V (US: 5EC9300), HTPC: ATI 280x, Windows 8.1 with blu-ray
post #11513 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusr View Post
A computer desktop delivers 60 fps (default) at 3840x2160 without any problems. But since this screen dosent have displayport and no graphics card has hdmi 2.0 yet we cant really test if it supports 4:4:4 on any of the hdmi inputs. The panasonic AX800 does support 4:4:4 on one hdmi port + one display port

Useless as a computer screen if it only has 4:2:0
Like I said, there is NOTHING that WE can stream at 60 fps at this point..
RiED27880 likes this.
post #11514 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 AM

My son works at BB, and he just texted me that someone just returned an XBR-65X900A after only having it for a day. With his discount, and it being an open box item, I can get it for $1150. I currently have a Sharp Aquos LC-60E88UN, so my question would be, would I see a significantly noticeable difference in PQ with the Sony? Obviously, 4K content is still in it's very early stages, so I would be watching Comcast HD most of the time, and gaming a lot on my PS4.
post #11515 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
My son works at BB, and he just texted me that someone just returned an XBR-65X900A after only having it for a day. With his discount, and it being an open box item, I can get it for $1150. I currently have a Sharp Aquos LC-60E88UN, so my question would be, would I see a significantly noticeable difference in PQ with the Sony? Obviously, 4K content is still in it's very early stages, so I would be watching Comcast HD most of the time, and gaming a lot on my PS4.
You will definitely notice a difference in PQ...especially with black levels. At that price point, I would be all over it!
RiED27880 likes this.
post #11516 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My son works at BB, and he just texted me that someone just returned an XBR-65X900A after only having it for a day. With his discount, and it being an open box item, I can get it for $1150
Run, don't walk. That is a steal.

That is 83% off what many of us paid a year ago.

Edited to ask: what would happen if there was a picture flaw you weren't happy with?
RiED27880 likes this.

Last edited by LeeSoFl; 08-04-2014 at 11:50 AM.
post #11517 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 11:49 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Holy crap, BUY IT. If you don't want it, I will give you 1500 for it and drive to PA!
post #11518 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Run, don't walk. That is a steal.

That is 83% off what many of us paid a year ago.
Is it a year old model, or are you saying that you bought last year's model? When you asked about the possibility of a picture flaw, do you mean will I be able to return it if there is one? He's done work in an hour, so when i go to pick him up, I'm going in to check it out. I would think I can get $500 for my Sharp 60", so it will only cost me $650 for the Sony.

Last edited by biglen; 08-04-2014 at 11:55 AM.
post #11519 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Is it a year old model, or are you saying that you bought last year's model? When you asked about the possibility of a picture flaw, do you mean will I be able to return it if there is one? He's done work in an hour, so when i go to pick him up, I'm going in to check it out. I would think I can get $500 for my Sharp 60", so it will only cost me $650 for the Sony.
By being a 'year old' floor display if it has any faults or anomaly's they should be Quite visible while viewing

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #11520 of 12127 Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post
By being a 'year old' floor display if it has any faults or anomaly's they should be Quite visible while viewing
I don't think it was a demo,
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page