Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 388 - AVS Forum
First ... 386  387  388 389  390  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 11:17 AM 08-06-2014
BTW, how do you "search" with this new format on the forum?

biglen's Avatar biglen 11:20 AM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
BTW, how do you "search" with this new format on the forum?
You don't have the magnifying glass in the top right of your screen, right above the logout button?
blitzftw 11:21 AM 08-06-2014
You'd think someone was insulting a family member given the comments you get when you are critical of a consumer product.
biglen's Avatar biglen 11:25 AM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzftw View Post
You'd think someone was insulting a family member given the comments you get when you are critical of a consumer product.
It cracks me up, that the TV has a gaming mode, and wase4711 says the TV wasn't made for gaming. The TV also has 3D, and if the 3D sucked, would he say the TV wasn't made for 3D?
wase4711's Avatar wase4711 11:26 AM 08-06-2014
my 150 dollar vizio tv in my kitchen has "gaming" mode too..ya think real gamers would buy THAT to play games on?
dreadnok89 11:27 AM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
my 150 dollar vizio tv in my kitchen has "gaming" mode too..ya think real gamers would buy THAT to play games on?
If thats all they could afford then yes
biglen's Avatar biglen 11:28 AM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
my 150 dollar vizio tv in my kitchen has "gaming" mode too..ya think real gamers would buy THAT to play games on?
If one were limited on space, sure, why not? My son bought a cheap ass Sceptre to game on, and he's a "real" gamer, and said it was an amazing TV for gaming. He gets on just about every Beta testing team when new games are coming out, in case you don't think he's a "real" gamer.
wase4711's Avatar wase4711 11:28 AM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
It cracks me up, that the TV has a gaming mode, and wase4711 says the TV wasn't made for gaming. The TV also has 3D, and if the 3D sucked, would he say the TV wasn't made for 3D?
I've owned more than 20 HD tv's in my life, and have worked in the AV industry for many years, doing sound and video work so I think I know a little about this topic.

This is NOT the TV to buy if you are looking for stellar game performance. If you dont agree, then buy the damn thing for 1100 bucks, and quit whining about my comments
blitzftw 11:29 AM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzftw View Post
You'd think someone was insulting a family member given the comments you get when you are critical of a consumer product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
my 150 dollar vizio tv in my kitchen has "gaming" mode too..ya think real gamers would buy THAT to play games on?

Case and point.

I don't understand how your reference to the vizio tv helps this discussion. We are just trying to figure out why there's so much blur. Sigh.
dreadnok89 11:33 AM 08-06-2014
I sent you a message biglen, i didnt see anyone complaining at you tho wase, trying to figure out why a exspensive tv cant do both is a valid question
blitzftw 11:35 AM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnok89 View Post
I sent you a message biglen, i didnt see anyone complaining at you tho wase, trying to figure out why a exspensive tv cant do both is a valid question
Exactly man.

Don't see why people get so sensitive about criticism of the tv. I mean its an owner's thread afterall.
dreadnok89 11:36 AM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzftw View Post
Exactly man.

Don't see why people get so sensitive about criticism of the tv. I mean its an owner's thread afterall.
Bingo
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 11:39 AM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
You don't have the magnifying glass in the top right of your screen, right above the logout button?
Wow, silly me.

Thank you.
wase4711's Avatar wase4711 11:40 AM 08-06-2014
it is a valid question, and one that has been debated, discussed, and gone over many times in the last year here.
"most" hard core gamers that are regulars in this thread have said many times, that tv is not the "cutting edge" of tv choices for them, so, if folks would bother to search and read through here, they would see that has been discussed ad nauseum

should it be better for gaming then it is? probably, but, if I was a gamer, and I am not, I would not choose this tv for my "main" gaming monitor..if someone else doesn't agree, that's fine with me. This is America, last time I checked, and everyone can feel free to express their own opinion.
dreadnok89 11:50 AM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
it is a valid question, and one that has been debated, discussed, and gone over many times in the last year here.
"most" hard core gamers that are regulars in this thread have said many times, that tv is not the "cutting edge" of tv choices for them, so, if folks would bother to search and read through here, they would see that has been discussed ad nauseum

should it be better for gaming then it is? probably, but, if I was a gamer, and I am not, I would not choose this tv for my "main" gaming monitor..if someone else doesn't agree, that's fine with me. This is America, last time I checked, and everyone can feel free to express their own opinion.
On a sidenote, these tvs get updates periodically so things could change. Better to ask currently tgen scour over stuff from 9 months ago. That technically is doing research
biglen's Avatar biglen 12:07 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
it is a valid question, and one that has been debated, discussed, and gone over many times in the last year here.
"most" hard core gamers that are regulars in this thread have said many times, that tv is not the "cutting edge" of tv choices for them, so, if folks would bother to search and read through here, they would see that has been discussed ad nauseum

should it be better for gaming then it is? probably, but, if I was a gamer, and I am not, I would not choose this tv for my "main" gaming monitor..if someone else doesn't agree, that's fine with me. This is America, last time I checked, and everyone can feel free to express their own opinion.
Wase, honestly, I just enjoy pushing people's buttons. It's all good, and I totally respect your opinions. So my son just handed me a 50% off coupon he got from the Sony rep. I can get the XBR65X850B, for $2000. Would the B model still have issues with gaming?
wase4711's Avatar wase4711 12:13 PM 08-06-2014
hard for me to say, since I dont game, but I know that the passive 3d on this tv is awesum, if you have any inkling at all for that, then this is the TV to get; plus the 850 uses a different panel than the 900 does, and I don't know if that panel is better for gaming than this one is

I paid 5k for this tv, with the media player last September, and I don't regret it for a minute, for my "normal" tv use-age.
But, if you can get it for 1100, I would jump all over it, as long as you can return it if you really hate it, and can then grab the 850b for 2 grand..
biglen's Avatar biglen 12:17 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
hard for me to say, since I dont game, but I know that the passive 3d on this tv is awesum, if you have any inkling at all for that, then this is the TV to get; plus the 850 uses a different panel than the 900 does, and I don't know if that panel is better for gaming than this one is

I paid 5k for this tv, with the media player last September, and I don't regret it for a minute, for my "normal" tv use-age.
But, if you can get it for 1100, I would jump all over it, as long as you can return it if you really hate it, and can then grab the 850b for 2 grand..
The manager at my son's store, is being a dick. There has always been a policy that he would give any open box item, a 50% off discount to the employees. Now he's changing his tune, and saying that if the TV is still there on Monday, then he will give it to my son for $1150.
ws6whiteshark's Avatar ws6whiteshark 12:34 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
The manager at my son's store, is being a dick. There has always been a policy that he would give any open box item, a 50% off discount to the employees. Now he's changing his tune, and saying that if the TV is still there on Monday, then he will give it to my son for $1150.
Tell him it's Wednesday, two days past Monday. Ha!

Again, if anyone has any additional info on the production of these TVs. I see the earlier models were made in Japan. The newer ones (same model 900A) are made in Mexico. Any reason for this change? Also, where are the 2014 models produced... Mexico???
teeitup's Avatar teeitup 01:06 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6whiteshark View Post
Again, if anyone has any additional info on the production of these TVs. I see the earlier models were made in Japan. The newer ones (same model 900A) are made in Mexico. Any reason for this change? Also, where are the 2014 models produced... Mexico???
Curious about this also. Not sure if they stopped manufacturing the 900A's in Japan once production in Mexico began. Or just all the later US models came out of the Mexico plant. I purchased a 65S990A about 2 weeks before the 900A. That model was only made in Japan. I assume they never sold a high enough quantity to expand manufacturing to other facilities.
Mattopotamus's Avatar Mattopotamus 03:12 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6whiteshark View Post
Tell him it's Wednesday, two days past Monday. Ha!

Again, if anyone has any additional info on the production of these TVs. I see the earlier models were made in Japan. The newer ones (same model 900A) are made in Mexico. Any reason for this change? Also, where are the 2014 models produced... Mexico???
They are all mexico now (USA atleast). Both the As and Bs. It probably saved them tons of money.
blitzftw 03:18 PM 08-06-2014
Did some digging around as to why there's noticeable motion-blur on the x900a in game mode.

CNET's Motion-resolution test info: http://www.cnet.com/news/counting-bl...tion-on-hdtvs/

So it turns out Sony's XBR sets have pretty low motion resolution numbers when Motionflow/Dejudder is turned off. Its not an apples-to-apples comparison and is pretty subjective, but it is kind of revealing in regards to the issues in game mode (when motion flow is turned off):

The max motion resolution is 1200 because their test disc has 1200 lines of motion.

For example, the Cnet review for the X900B:

"MotionFlow settings of True Cinema and Off (between which I couldn't tell any difference) are the only ones that qualify on the X900B. They also the ones with the lowest motion resolution; just 300 lines"

Motion resolution (max) 1200 Good
Motion resolution (dejudder off) 300 Poor
Input lag (Game mode) 40.9 Average


For comparison, Cnet's take on the Samsung UNF8000 (1080p flagship):

"Unlike most of the other such LED LCD TVs, however, it can also deliver full motion resolution (1200 lines) at the same time -- you don't have to engage the oversmooth Soap Opera Effect to get optimum motion resolution"

Motion resolution (max) 1200 Good
Motion resolution (dejudder off) 1200 Good
Input lag (Game mode) 46.8 Average


Sony w900a:

"On the motion resolution test, the TV displayed 330 lines when I disabled the smoothing dejudder mode, and as usual engaging Motion Flow enabled the TV to go to 1000 lines. "

Motion resolution (max) 1000 Good
Motion resolution (dejudder off) 330 Poor
Input lag (Game mode) 19.7 Good

Panasonic TC-PVT60 Flagship plasma:

Motion resolution (max) 1200 Good
Motion resolution (dejudder off) 1200 Good
Input lag (Game mode) 47.9 Average
RiED27880's Avatar RiED27880 05:47 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post
I hope its a good movie. I've seen too many great-3D-boring-story movies lately. I'm very interested in finding out how a Raccoon became a guardian of the galaxy.
Story is also great you wont be disappointed! Marvel did an excellent job with the over all story and special effects. It will be an excellent bluray 3D to own and show off on the passive X900A
flinchn's Avatar flinchn 06:06 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Story is also great you wont be disappointed! Marvel did an excellent job with the over all story and special effects. It will be an excellent bluray 3D to own and show off on the passive X900A
One of my friends, who digs marvel films, said he thought it looked 'too kiddish?'

Dunno if I agree. Heard the villain was kinda weak again. I'll probably wait for the bluray 3d on these movies until Avengers2.

I actually find myself happy waiting to watch new 3d films on the set and foregoing the theater.

Exception: Battle of the Five Armies
flinchn's Avatar flinchn 06:08 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrzone View Post
Damn. I just got to the party and you're leaving! I've been reading your posts for weeks and found them quite helpful. I even like you're avatar.
You recognize my avatar?
RiED27880's Avatar RiED27880 06:13 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
my 150 dollar vizio tv in my kitchen has "gaming" mode too..ya think real gamers would buy THAT to play games on?
LOL!!!!!!! wase4711 i'm cracking up reading your posts man. People should realize 4k tvs will struggle abit more with these first generation sets than regular 1080p tvs when it comes to games. I belive the tv does a well enough job even without the "game mode" turned on. I'm just ready for some Football to start this weekend!
biglen's Avatar biglen 06:13 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
You recognize my avatar?
I thought it was a selfie
RiED27880's Avatar RiED27880 06:24 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
Curious about this also. Not sure if they stopped manufacturing the 900A's in Japan once production in Mexico began. Or just all the later US models came out of the Mexico plant. I purchased a 65S990A about 2 weeks before the 900A. That model was only made in Japan. I assume they never sold a high enough quantity to expand manufacturing to other facilities.
My 55X9A that I bought last June was made in japan, had to exchange it do to some edge bleed and ghosting, got the 65X900A in the beginning of the year directly from Sony with no issues and it was made in May/Mexico. I guess you can never tell with these sets. You would think the one made in japan would have been better in performance. Guess I got lucky
RiED27880's Avatar RiED27880 06:29 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
One of my friends, who digs marvel films, said he thought it looked 'too kiddish?'

Dunno if I agree. Heard the villain was kinda weak again. I'll probably wait for the bluray 3d on these movies until Avengers2.

I actually find myself happy waiting to watch new 3d films on the set and foregoing the theater.

Exception: Battle of the Five Armies
Yes, the villain was a bit weak. Thanos should have been the real villain. Still, you will love it in 3D. the hobbit 3 will defenatly stomp on the rest! cannot WAIT!
flinchn's Avatar flinchn 06:48 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
I thought it was a selfie
Its confusion like this why I say Game of Thrones will never be as good as the books.
Tags: Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
First ... 386  387  388 389  390  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop