Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 390 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11671 of 12621 Old 08-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Member
 
luism2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
Yes - i own Blade Runner on Blu Ray. The 5-disc complete collector's edition is the one to own (23 bucks on amazon). It has 4 versions of the film including the 2007 Final cut - ridley's endorsed version.

There is not a pure 4k version but they rescanned the movie in 4k for the final cut Disc 1.

One of my favorite movies of all time and it looks awesome on our TV.
A beautiful movie.. it was my first dvd movie and it was my first blu ray and you guessed it I wanted it to be my first 4k movie ( but I bought spidey for that
luism2008 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11672 of 12621 Old 08-09-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vinodk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Camarillo, California
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How is the new Spiderman movie on 4k unlimited? Wondering weather I should purchase 4k version to download on my X1 or wait for the bluray version. The price seems to be about the same.

Vinod
vinodk is online now  
post #11673 of 12621 Old 08-09-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swanage, Engerland
Posts: 2,492
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by halon View Post
Has anyone hooked up a Super Nintendo or any of the older systems? How did it look and how did you connect it to the TV?
I play my Sega Saturn and Mega Drive (a.k.a. Genesis in the colonies) quite a bit. I use an RGB scart for both, but unfortunately the chroma isn't aligned with the luma correctly when using the scart socket on the TV so it looks a bit fuzzy. I use an HDMI converter which looks much crisper and sharper, and there's no issue with lag as long as I play in the Game scene select.

The 3D Saturn games are almost embarassingly primitive by today's standards (though I still dig out Sega Rally for old time's sake) but the 2D Capcom fighters look fantastic, with giant sprites and fluid animation. The Mega Drive stuff is a bit blockier, natch, but it still holds up really well.
Geoff D is offline  
post #11674 of 12621 Old 08-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Panasonic 4K 800U Can't Do Netflix 4K

File this under misery loves company:

"While we were testing our latest batch of 2014 TVs, which includes several new Ultra HD sets, we found out something interesting: Despite having built-in HEVC decoders, not all TVs can play Netflix 4K videos.

Among the TVs that we've tested so far, models from LG Electronics, Samsung, and Sony have been able to play 4K videos from Netflix—basically, the second season of "House of Cards" and "Breaking Bad," plus a few movies. But a TV from another major brand—Panasonic's TC-58AX800U—was not able to play the Netflix 4K streams.

Up to this point, we assumed that all TVs with built-in HEVC decoders—needed to "unlock" the 4K videos that used the codec—would be able to play Netflix 4K streams. HEVC, also called H.265, is a new, more efficient video compression scheme that's being used to send 4K videos, which take up a lot more space, through existing broadband networks at speeds as low as 15 to 16Mbps.

But what we learned is that Netflix has its own certification program that TV manufacturers must pass in order for their TVs to be able to receive Netflix 4K videos. According to Netflix, beyond a TV having an HEVC decoder, its certification program examines things such as picture quality (whether the 4K streams from a particular model look good enough) and whether the TV (and the HEVC chipset it uses) can support a wider gamut of colors. Some manufacturers may start selling TVs before the sets have passed the certification process. Once they do, the software can be updated to deliver 4K Netflix streams if the set passes, but if it's the chipset that is the problem, they may never be able to play Netflix 4K streams.

That appears to be the case with the Panasonic AX800-series TV set we tested, which apparently is using an HEVC chipset that doesn't meet Netflix's certification requirements. (We've reached out to Panasonic for confirmation, but haven't yet heard back. We'll update the post if we do get additional information.) The company will be introducing a step-up AX900 series later this summer, so it's possible that those models in that series will support 4K Netflix streaming.

But it's also quite possible that UHD TVs from other manufacturers—especially low-cost secondary brands—may not be able to play 4K Netflix videos, depending on the HEVC chipset they employ. The problem for potential buyers is that there's no way to know if the set can play these higher-resolution video streams until you take the set home.

Consumer Reports plans to test many of these off-brand UHD sets this year, and of course we'll let you know which TVs can't play 4K Netflix streams, since in the short term that will be the main source of 4K content for many. Keep checking back for our latest updates, and make sure you visit our TV Ratings (available to subscribers) for all the information on fully tested models."
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #11675 of 12621 Old 08-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Member
 
mavenaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
My 55X9A that I bought last June was made in japan, had to exchange it do to some edge bleed and ghosting, got the 65X900A in the beginning of the year directly from Sony with no issues and it was made in May/Mexico. I guess you can never tell with these sets. You would think the one made in japan would have been better in performance. Guess I got lucky
Funny you should mention that. My sixth replacement , yes 6th set from Sony XBR65X900A was just delivered and its perfect.

May 2014 Mexico
RiED27880 likes this.
mavenaz is offline  
post #11676 of 12621 Old 08-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Member
 
halon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
Funny you should mention that. My sixth replacement , yes 6th set from Sony XBR65X900A was just delivered and its perfect.

May 2014 Mexico
6

I kept my first one even though there is clearly a piece a dust behind the screen.
halon is offline  
post #11677 of 12621 Old 08-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Member
 
mavenaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by halon View Post
6

I kept my first one even though there is clearly a piece a dust behind the screen.
I had almost every problem you could think of. Sony on the 4th exchange even sent a tech out.

Dead pixels, multiple horizontal black lines in the middle of the screen, loose glass panel and of course banding and clouding.

Dead or stuck pixels in 4 of the 5, horizontal lines on 3.

All sets were Mexico builds between 2/14 and 4/14.

I was offered a 900b at exchange 4, but I wanted my passive 3d!
halon and RiED27880 like this.
mavenaz is offline  
post #11678 of 12621 Old 08-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Newbie
 
Lalami1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
Funny you should mention that. My sixth replacement , yes 6th set from Sony XBR65X900A was just delivered and its perfect.

May 2014 Mexico
OMG 6?!? I'm on my third over here in the UK! The first two had scuffs and scratches around the speaker surrounds but the second one also had a debris behind the glass panel and major light bleed. You'd expect that for a flagship television, the quality control would be tight.

1st replacement: Feb 2014/Malaysia
2nd replacement: April 2014/Malaysia
3rd replacement: March 2014/Malaysia

Home Theatre: Sony 65" 4K X9005 3DTV | FMP-X1 4K Media Player | Sony STR-DN1040 4K AV AMP | Sony BDP-A6000 Blu-Ray Player | Pioneer S-31 5.1 Speakers | Vu+ Duo 2 | Xbox One & 360 | Sony PS4 & PS3 60GB | LightWave RF Lighting |
Living Room: Panasonic 65" VT30 3DTV | Pioneer VSX-2021 7.1 AV AMP |
Home Office: 2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (2.6Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD) | 2010 11" MacBook Air (Standard Config) | Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display x2
Lalami1990 is offline  
post #11679 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 12:39 AM
Member
 
zephyrzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just finished watching Pineapple Express, mastered in 4k. First, I find it totally awesome that Sony chose this movie for the special treatment. Really surprising, but it's a movie I love.

The quality was outstanding. This film doesn't have a particularly contemporary look, actually it's got a an old school 70's feel to it. But that's the thing, the colors and black level are so good on this tv and source that this is the first viewing where I actually noticed the intentional anachronistic filming style. I've seen the movie a few times, even on my previous hx800 which was a very good panel, and never before did I notice the obvious stylized cinematography. It's not a movie where the colors jump out. Everything just looked so natural.

Not sure how much the mastered in 4k helped. I'd like to see the original blu ray and compare them.

The tv continues to impress me. I've noticed the panel defects a bit more recently but I feel it's within reasonable limits. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I wish it were at least 5 inches larger. I was just in best buy and the size difference between a 65 and 70 has the appearance of a much larger jump. I could just sit closer to mine but there are some loving room logistics that make it difficult.
zephyrzone is offline  
post #11680 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Member
 
viiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just an FYI regarding Skype if anyone uses it, Skype made some protocol changes a bit back and the TV's built in Skype app hasn't been working since. A firmware update for the TV is incoming by the end of August that will update Skype to the newest protocols.
viiv is offline  
post #11681 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Senior Member
 
RiED27880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrzone View Post
I just finished watching Pineapple Express, mastered in 4k. First, I find it totally awesome that Sony chose this movie for the special treatment. Really surprising, but it's a movie I love.

The quality was outstanding. This film doesn't have a particularly contemporary look, actually it's got a an old school 70's feel to it. But that's the thing, the colors and black level are so good on this tv and source that this is the first viewing where I actually noticed the intentional anachronistic filming style. I've seen the movie a few times, even on my previous hx800 which was a very good panel, and never before did I notice the obvious stylized cinematography. It's not a movie where the colors jump out. Everything just looked so natural.

Not sure how much the mastered in 4k helped. I'd like to see the original blu ray and compare them.

The tv continues to impress me. I've noticed the panel defects a bit more recently but I feel it's within reasonable limits. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I wish it were at least 5 inches larger. I was just in best buy and the size difference between a 65 and 70 has the appearance of a much larger jump. I could just sit closer to mine but there are some loving room logistics that make it difficult.
I feel you on the bigger screen point. I use to think 46" was "massive" back in 2010 lol then 55" now 65" is the biggest I've gone and i'm happy. Funny thing with 4k is that bigger is better even in small spaces thanks to the higher resolution. 70" would probably be my next upgrade in the coming years, but 65" is perfect for my space. Not to mention this set already looks 70"+ thanks to the nice built in speakers. It gives the set a commanding presence to anyone who first walks in my house I honestly don't feel the need to go any bigger any time soon.
RiED27880 is offline  
post #11682 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 8,086
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 941
True, 65" is a nice size. But that new 80" set with passive 3D is starting to look pretty good too...
RiED27880 likes this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #11683 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
True, 65" is a nice size. But that new 80" set with passive 3D is starting to look pretty good too...
There is no such thing as too big . I sit at most 6 feet away from a 65" and could go larger.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #11684 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
wase4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I am 10 feet away from my 65, and could squeeze in an 80 if the warden would allow it
kfc2 and RiED27880 like this.
wase4711 is offline  
post #11685 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,987
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
File this under misery loves company:

"While we were testing our latest batch of 2014 TVs, which includes several new Ultra HD sets, we found out something interesting: Despite having built-in HEVC decoders, not all TVs can play Netflix 4K videos.

Among the TVs that we've tested so far, models from LG Electronics, Samsung, and Sony have been able to play 4K videos from Netflix—basically, the second season of "House of Cards" and "Breaking Bad," plus a few movies. But a TV from another major brand—Panasonic's TC-58AX800U—was not able to play the Netflix 4K streams.

Up to this point, we assumed that all TVs with built-in HEVC decoders—needed to "unlock" the 4K videos that used the codec—would be able to play Netflix 4K streams. HEVC, also called H.265, is a new, more efficient video compression scheme that's being used to send 4K videos, which take up a lot more space, through existing broadband networks at speeds as low as 15 to 16Mbps.

But what we learned is that Netflix has its own certification program that TV manufacturers must pass in order for their TVs to be able to receive Netflix 4K videos. According to Netflix, beyond a TV having an HEVC decoder, its certification program examines things such as picture quality (whether the 4K streams from a particular model look good enough) and whether the TV (and the HEVC chipset it uses) can support a wider gamut of colors. Some manufacturers may start selling TVs before the sets have passed the certification process. Once they do, the software can be updated to deliver 4K Netflix streams if the set passes, but if it's the chipset that is the problem, they may never be able to play Netflix 4K streams.

That appears to be the case with the Panasonic AX800-series TV set we tested, which apparently is using an HEVC chipset that doesn't meet Netflix's certification requirements. (We've reached out to Panasonic for confirmation, but haven't yet heard back. We'll update the post if we do get additional information.) The company will be introducing a step-up AX900 series later this summer, so it's possible that those models in that series will support 4K Netflix streaming.

But it's also quite possible that UHD TVs from other manufacturers—especially low-cost secondary brands—may not be able to play 4K Netflix videos, depending on the HEVC chipset they employ. The problem for potential buyers is that there's no way to know if the set can play these higher-resolution video streams until you take the set home.

Consumer Reports plans to test many of these off-brand UHD sets this year, and of course we'll let you know which TVs can't play 4K Netflix streams, since in the short term that will be the main source of 4K content for many. Keep checking back for our latest updates, and make sure you visit our TV Ratings (available to subscribers) for all the information on fully tested models."

That doesn't mean you won't be able to watch Netflix in 4K at all, any new external device with the proper codec (HEVC) and approved, will be able to. It's just a matter of time before all new Bluray players and media players come with it, since Netflix is so popular.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Latinoheat is online now  
post #11686 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
That doesn't mean you won't be able to watch Netflix in 4K at all, any new external device with the proper codec (HEVC) and approved, will be able to. It's just a matter of time before all new Bluray players and media players come with it, since Netflix is so popular.
Right, but something in that Panasonic model, just isn't up to Netflix's snuff.

Netflix has passed HBO in the number of subscribers. I found it odd that a manufacturer would build a set that doesn't accommodate 4K Netflix, oh wait I have the 900A.

...but seriously, Panasonic has .265 but can't do 4K subscription service.
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #11687 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
acermen1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Input 4 on the television is the only place you can plug the X1 or X10 player. Any other 4K device can go anywhere else. The X1/X10 rely on a special security coding that will only work on input 4.

If you were to buy other 4K devices, they're not going to be HDCP 2.2 (most likely) and will get plugged into any of the three remaining HDMI inputs (which are all HDMI 2.0 ready)


The issue that exist with the 2013 4K TV's is if you own the Sony X10 it has to be plugged into the HDCP 2.2 input (input 4) if you want to add other streaming devised like the Apple TV4K or Roku 4K in the future then you would be in trouble and have to unplug connections. Also it is possible that 4K Blu-ray may need the HDCP 2.2 input. So the 2014 TV's having 2 HDCP 2.2 inputs could be an advantage in the future, correct?


The other concern is that the HDMI 2.0 spec on the X900A/X850A is 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit is on the low side of the HDMI 2.0 spec. We do not know if this will be sufficient enough for 4 years down the road.


Does any one know if the X900B/X850? have a higher HDMI spec like YCbCr 4:4:4 10bit ?


Thanks.
acermen1212 is offline  
post #11688 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
So the 2014 TV's having 2 HDCP 2.2 inputs could be an advantage in the future, correct?
I wasn't aware there are two ports that handle HDCP 2.2 on the B model televisions. Is that the case?

There is no listing of that for any B television in the specs on Sony's site.
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #11689 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
I wasn't aware there are two ports that handle HDCP 2.2 on the B model televisions. Is that the case?

There is no listing of that for any B television in the specs on Sony's site.
Yes. There are 2 ports that are 2.2 on the B models. There are already AVRs that support 2.0 with 2.2, so only one port does not matter.

Last edited by Mattopotamus; 08-10-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #11690 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swanage, Engerland
Posts: 2,492
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
The issue that exist with the 2013 4K TV's is if you own the Sony X10 it has to be plugged into the HDCP 2.2 input (input 4) if you want to add other streaming devised like the Apple TV4K or Roku 4K in the future then you would be in trouble and have to unplug connections. Also it is possible that 4K Blu-ray may need the HDCP 2.2 input. So the 2014 TV's having 2 HDCP 2.2 inputs could be an advantage in the future, correct?


The other concern is that the HDMI 2.0 spec on the X900A/X850A is 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit is on the low side of the HDMI 2.0 spec. We do not know if this will be sufficient enough for 4 years down the road.


Does any one know if the X900B/X850? have a higher HDMI spec like YCbCr 4:4:4 10bit ?


Thanks.
No, the B series has the same HDMI bandwidth limitations as the A series. They do have a different HDMI chip (as well as the one which is in the A series) but that chip only adds HDCP 2.2 and 4K MHL support, not an improvment in HDMI bandwidth. So the 2014 models are in the exact same boat as the 2013 series.
Geoff D is offline  
post #11691 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
bodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
XBR65-X900a Display Calibration Results (downloadable settings file at the end of this post)
 

 
Here are the settings I am currently using.  I don't think I am completely finished, but I have arrived at a point where the picture looks good enough that I can sit back and enjoy it for a while.  Try these settings if you like, but remember to write down your current settings before proceeding!  Good luck, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I will update the settings here as I get to know the X900 better.

Display settings 7-14-2014: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...07-14-2014.pdf
Quick question. Why did you end up using Cinema over say, General with Standard picture? Did you feel general with standard didn't get you a clean realistic picture? Also, your settings, they are good for all viewing (ie. Sports, HDTV, Gaming)?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
bodean is offline  
post #11692 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Traylorc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The 3d performance of the 65xbr900a continues to impress... I was always a fan of 3d, but to be honest, over the past couple of years the 3d performances of many of the movies I saw in the theaters caused my interest in 3d to diminish. But over the last week I have watched Rise of the Guardians, Frozen, The Croods, Star Trek - Into Darkness and was treated to some of the best 3d I have ever seen. I just ordered a slew of new 3d blu rays from Amazon.

I am now a huge fan of passive 3d on 4K sets. I use my current 4K set as my computer monitor in my office...I would like to find a larger 4K passive 3d set as the main TV downstairs. I was considering the 79" 900b but I am hearing concerns raised regarding the 3d performance of that set. I need to go to a store and check out the 79" for myself.
RiED27880 likes this.
Traylorc is offline  
post #11693 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Member
 
mavenaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
No, the B series has the same HDMI bandwidth limitations as the A series. They do have a different HDMI chip (as well as the one which is in the A series) but that chip only adds HDCP 2.2 and 4K MHL support, not an improvment in HDMI bandwidth. So the 2014 models are in the exact same boat as the 2013 series.
Would a receiver with proper HDMI switching all routed to HDMI 2 do the trick?

Possibly a stand alone switcher?
mavenaz is offline  
post #11694 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
Would a receiver with proper HDMI switching all routed to HDMI 2 do the trick?

Possibly a stand alone switcher?
Yes sir. If 2.2 is required, you would just get one with that feature.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #11695 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 8,086
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Quick question. Why did you end up using Cinema over say, General with Standard picture? Did you feel general with standard didn't get you a clean realistic picture? Also, your settings, they are good for all viewing (ie. Sports, HDTV, Gaming)?
Unfortunately, we have no definitive documentation with respect to what is happening "under the covers" with the different scenes. Whenever I read a professional reviewer's assessment of a television, it always seems that they choose the Cinema mode because it does the least amount of processing, whatever that means.

I have actually run a calibration in General/Custom mode, and the results were not noticeably different than the Cinema mode.

As far as whether the calibration is appropriate for all types of content, I think it is. There are others who favor a more vivid picture when watching sports. It's a preference thing. However, if you want accuracy, leave the settings alone for all types of content. Exception--when watching 3D, increasing brightness and backlighting is recommended.
bodean likes this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #11696 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Member
 
mavenaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Unfortunately, we have no definitive documentation with respect to what is happening "under the covers" with the different scenes. Whenever I read a professional reviewer's assessment of a television, it always seems that they choose the Cinema mode because it does the least amount of processing, whatever that means.

I have actually run a calibration in General/Custom mode, and the results were not noticeably different than the Cinema mode.

As far as whether the calibration is appropriate for all types of content, I think it is. There are others who favor a more vivid picture when watching sports. It's a preference thing. However, if you want accuracy, leave the settings alone for all types of content. Exception--when watching 3D, increasing brightness and backlighting is recommended.
Austin,

With your settings, what do you recommend brightness and backlighting be set at for 3D?
mavenaz is offline  
post #11697 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 8,086
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
Austin,

With your settings, what do you recommend brightness and backlighting be set at for 3D?
I set backlight to Max, and brightness to 90. It is difficult to calibrate while in 3D, so those settings are just what looks good to me.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #11698 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swanage, Engerland
Posts: 2,492
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
Would a receiver with proper HDMI switching all routed to HDMI 2 do the trick?

Possibly a stand alone switcher?
In terms of HDCP 2.2, sure, as Matt said. But you can't add HDMI features to a display which doesn't have them by buying an amp or a switcher that does.
Geoff D is offline  
post #11699 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Senior Member
 
acermen1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
Would a receiver with proper HDMI switching all routed to HDMI 2 do the trick?

Possibly a stand alone switcher?

It is my understanding that the receiver would need 2 HDCP 2.2 to one HDCP 2.2 out for the hand shake to work if 2 of these inputs are needed. If all you need is HDMI 2 them the receiver rated for that would work.
acermen1212 is offline  
post #11700 of 12621 Old 08-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Member
 
zephyrzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Unfortunately, we have no definitive documentation with respect to what is happening "under the covers" with the different scenes. Whenever I read a professional reviewer's assessment of a television, it always seems that they choose the Cinema mode because it does the least amount of processing, whatever that means.

I have actually run a calibration in General/Custom mode, and the results were not noticeably different than the Cinema mode.

As far as whether the calibration is appropriate for all types of content, I think it is. There are others who favor a more vivid picture when watching sports. It's a preference thing. However, if you want accuracy, leave the settings alone for all types of content. Exception--when watching 3D, increasing brightness and backlighting is recommended.

I've been using your settings and they look prefect to me with all content, except gaming. I also can't comment on sports, I only watch US football and the season hasn't started. I would presume vivid may be better for color saturation as the "true" colors aren't as important as a highly saturated picture. But as you've mentioned a number of times, it's preference.

For gaming, I'd recommend gamers try game mode or general with the palette set to warm 1, maybe neutral. Warm 2 with graphic content doesn't look true to the graphic content (to me). Technically, it may be accurate, but I don't know how each developer is handling final color treatment. Warm 2 doesn't look right. Warm 1 doesn't subdue the inherently vivid colors of many games nearly as much. Found neutral to be a bit too over the top, but still better than warm 2. Also, neutral is the default color palette for game mode. I'd like to think Sony has some idea of what's most appealing in game mode given their experience, but that's just conjecture.

EDIT: also, gama at -2 (2.4) absolutely crushes some native blacks in the games I've played. Most games offer a gamma correction, but I've found it better to adjust the tv game mode to gamma 0 (2.2). Warm 1, gamma 0, all other settings off has worked very well for my eyes. I turn smoothing on (general scene) for games that don't require twitch reflexes. I Use game mode with no motion flow now for FPS' that run at 60fps.

Anyway, AJ, I love your settings. Film and movies look absolutely life like. I'm far more drawn to a natural, director intended picture than an artificially vivid one. That being said, those 4k demo reels playing at retail look awfully luscious set at full blast on vivid. My god, the strawberries! I can totally see why tv's are set on demo mode. Watching that 4k footage side by side on a demo mode panel, then a closely calibrated one is night and day. If I were uniformed, there's no way I'd but the calibrated panel tv. It looks so dark and desaturated.

It's a shame really. I'd love to walk into a best buy and see nothing but closely calibrated panels to compare to one another. But alas, the sexy vivid picture sells
RiED27880 likes this.

Last edited by zephyrzone; 08-10-2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: added info
zephyrzone is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off