Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 391 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11701 of 11961 Old 08-10-2014, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Unfortunately, we have no definitive documentation with respect to what is happening "under the covers" with the different scenes. Whenever I read a professional reviewer's assessment of a television, it always seems that they choose the Cinema mode because it does the least amount of processing, whatever that means.

I have actually run a calibration in General/Custom mode, and the results were not noticeably different than the Cinema mode.

As far as whether the calibration is appropriate for all types of content, I think it is. There are others who favor a more vivid picture when watching sports. It's a preference thing. However, if you want accuracy, leave the settings alone for all types of content. Exception--when watching 3D, increasing brightness and backlighting is recommended.

I've been using your settings and they look prefect to me with all content, except gaming. I also can't comment on sports, I only watch US football and the season hasn't started. I would presume vivid may be better for color saturation as the "true" colors aren't as important as a highly saturated picture. But as you've mentioned a number of times, it's preference.

For gaming, I'd recommend gamers try game mode or general with the palette set to warm 1, maybe neutral. Warm 2 with graphic content doesn't look true to the graphic content (to me). Technically, it may be accurate, but I don't know how each developer is handling final color treatment. Warm 2 doesn't look right. Warm 1 doesn't subdue the inherently vivid colors of many games nearly as much. Found neutral to be a bit too over the top, but still better than warm 2. Also, neutral is the default color palette for game mode. I'd like to think Sony has some idea of what's most appealing in game mode given their experience, but that's just conjecture.

EDIT: also, gama at -2 (2.4) absolutely crushes some native blacks in the games I've played. Most games offer a gamma correction, but I've found it better to adjust the tv game mode to gamma 0 (2.2). Warm 1, gamma 0, all other settings off has worked very well for my eyes. I turn smoothing on (general scene) for games that don't require twitch reflexes. I Use game mode with no motion flow now for FPS' that run at 60fps.

Anyway, AJ, I love your settings. Film and movies look absolutely life like. I'm far more drawn to a natural, director intended picture than an artificially vivid one. That being said, those 4k demo reels playing at retail look awfully luscious set at full blast on vivid. My god, the strawberries! I can totally see why tv's are set on demo mode. Watching that 4k footage side by side on a demo mode panel, then a closely calibrated one is night and day. If I were uniformed, there's no way I'd but the calibrated panel tv. It looks so dark and desaturated.

It's a shame really. I'd love to walk into a best buy and see nothing but closely calibrated panels to compare to one another. But alas, the sexy vivid picture sells
RiED27880 likes this.

Last edited by zephyrzone; 08-10-2014 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11702 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I've noticed lately (last several weeks) that the Motionflow settings are doing nothing but making the video jerky. Its basically unwatchable. This was not the case when I first got the TV. Has anyone else had this issue? I apologize if its been covered somewhere else here.
post #11703 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrzone View Post
I've been using your settings and they look prefect to me with all content, except gaming. I also can't comment on sports, I only watch US football and the season hasn't started. I would presume vivid may be better for color saturation as the "true" colors aren't as important as a highly saturated picture. But as you've mentioned a number of times, it's preference.

For gaming, I'd recommend gamers try game mode or general with the palette set to warm 1, maybe neutral. Warm 2 with graphic content doesn't look true to the graphic content (to me). Technically, it may be accurate, but I don't know how each developer is handling final color treatment. Warm 2 doesn't look right. Warm 1 doesn't subdue the inherently vivid colors of many games nearly as much. Found neutral to be a bit too over the top, but still better than warm 2. Also, neutral is the default color palette for game mode. I'd like to think Sony has some idea of what's most appealing in game mode given their experience, but that's just conjecture.

EDIT: also, gama at -2 (2.4) absolutely crushes some native blacks in the games I've played. Most games offer a gamma correction, but I've found it better to adjust the tv game mode to gamma 0 (2.2). Warm 1, gamma 0, all other settings off has worked very well for my eyes. I turn smoothing on (general scene) for games that don't require twitch reflexes. I Use game mode with no motion flow now for FPS' that run at 60fps.

Anyway, AJ, I love your settings. Film and movies look absolutely life like. I'm far more drawn to a natural, director intended picture than an artificially vivid one. That being said, those 4k demo reels playing at retail look awfully luscious set at full blast on vivid. My god, the strawberries! I can totally see why tv's are set on demo mode. Watching that 4k footage side by side on a demo mode panel, then a closely calibrated one is night and day. If I were uniformed, there's no way I'd but the calibrated panel tv. It looks so dark and desaturated.

It's a shame really. I'd love to walk into a best buy and see nothing but closely calibrated panels to compare to one another. But alas, the sexy vivid picture sells
I use AJ's settings for most content but when i watch sports i change from Cinema to Sports. The colors pop and the sound is different too - more of a stadium effect.
post #11704 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
I use AJ's settings for most content but when i watch sports i change from Cinema to Sports. The colors pop and the sound is different too - more of a stadium effect.
You could just change that within the sound settings if you still wanted the same picture settings.
post #11705 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
You could just change that within the sound settings if you still wanted the same picture settings.
I guess - my main point was in response to the picture settings for watching sports.
post #11706 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm having a real problem finding a setting I like for Blu-Rays. I've tried AJ's, Flinchn's, and the Sound and Vision settings. While Flinchn's is probably the best, everything seems very...I guess the word is "drab." I understand a properly calibrated picture will be muted and not eyeball-searing, but there has to be some kind of happy medium. I find the picture on the Netflix app to be truly staggering with Super HD content. Things pop without appearing torched. I wrote down the factory settings while running Crackle and am going to see if I can get a similar effect with discs.
post #11707 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo12 View Post
I'm having a real problem finding a setting I like for Blu-Rays. I've tried AJ's, Flinchn's, and the Sound and Vision settings. While Flinchn's is probably the best, everything seems very...I guess the word is "drab." I understand a properly calibrated picture will be muted and not eyeball-searing, but there has to be some kind of happy medium. I find the picture on the Netflix app to be truly staggering with Super HD content. Things pop without appearing torched. I wrote down the factory settings while running Crackle and am going to see if I can get a similar effect with discs.
I have been running under a *trial* period using Live Color = Low, with some other tweaks to improve my perception of depth to the picture. I enjoy the color it gives faces and pops the colors a bit - you can always bump up the Color, backlight and Picture settings to your liking, remember I am in a very low-light-to completely dark environ. and I don't/have no need to use the Game Scene.

If you have any interest, take a look below. Of course, this is a rabbit hole nudging away from calibration, although live color doesn't seem to affect grayscale - it DOES affect the low end of gamma, so I accommodated for that as I could -

(note: I have found the white balance setting to be too coarse, so my AVR is now applying the following on top of the settings below - very tiny adjustment, so don't worry too much if you can't mimic, RBrightness - [-3] RContrast - [-1] GBrightness [-1] GContrast [-1] BBrightness [-1] BContrast [+1]) :

--------
All settings in the ECO menu are off, SBM is on.

Cinema->Cinema1

Backlight 7 (max for 3d)
Picture 77 (93 for 3d)
Brightness 52
Color 41
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm2
Sharpness 45
All NR off (MPEG NR low for Sat feed)
RC Manual: Mi4k On, Video Area Detection Off, Resolution 56, NF MIN
Smooth Gradation Low
Motionflow Off (or Smooth for 3d, in certain cases)
Cinemotion Off

--Advanced--
Black Corrector Low
Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma -1
Led dynamic control Standard
Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Low
White balance: -2,-10,-2,-4,-6,-2
Detail Enhancer Low
Edge Enhancer Low
Skin Naturalizer Off

Again - these are preference settings (and under a trial period)
RiED27880 likes this.

Last edited by flinchn; 08-11-2014 at 11:13 AM.
post #11708 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo12 View Post
Well, you can learn how to run your own calibration, which requires an investment of ~$250 for software and a colorimeter if you want accurate settings for your display. If you don't like accurate settings, then experiment at will, knowing the result will be preference, not reference. In the end, what pleases you is what is important.
post #11709 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, I suspected I hadn't stressed that disclaimer enough times.
Mdjones9137 likes this.
post #11710 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In January of 2014 I bought an XBR-65X900A. Soon after the speakers began to crackle and they replaced the tv with a new XBR-65X900A. Now I am having trouble with the inputs picking up the media server and the sony sound bar I purchased. Has anyone experienced these same issues? Has anyone been successful getting a full refund from Sony?

Thanks
post #11711 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
I have been running under a *trial* period using Live Color = Low, with some other tweaks to improve my perception of depth to the picture. I enjoy the color it gives faces and pops the colors a bit - you can always bump up the Color, backlight and Picture settings to your liking, remember I am in a very low-light-to completely dark environ. and I don't/have no need to use the Game Scene.

If you have any interest, take a look below. Of course, this is a rabbit hole nudging away from calibration, although live color doesn't seem to affect grayscale - it DOES affect the low end of gamma, so I accommodated for that as I could -

(note: I have found the white balance setting to be too coarse, so my AVR is now applying the following on top of the settings below - very tiny adjustment, so don't worry too much if you can't mimic, RBrightness - [-3] RContrast - [-1] GBrightness [-1] GContrast [-1] BBrightness [-1] BContrast [+1]) :

--------

Cinema->Cinema1

Backlight 7 (max for 3d)
Picture 77 (93 for 3d)
Brightness 52
Color 41
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm2
Sharpness 45
Smooth Gradation Low
Cinemotion Off

--Advanced--
Black Corrector Low
Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma -1
Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Low
Detail Enhancer Low
Edge Enhancer Low
Skin Naturalizer Off

WOW.....just pop these settings on my set and HOLY cow it looks spectacular! thank you brother!
post #11712 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrzone View Post

EDIT: also, gama at -2 (2.4) absolutely crushes some native blacks in the games I've played. Most games offer a gamma correction, but I've found it better to adjust the tv game mode to gamma 0 (2.2).
I use 2.2 gamma in general, because 2.4 is just too dark for my liking. Besides, with brightness at 49 and contrast at 90 I get absolutely superb blacks on my 55", in fact lately I've been watching it in a completely dark room and it looks phenomenal. So much for the old adage that you can only watch plasma in a darkened environment! This set* is quite simply of the very best LCD TVs ever made.

* Even though the 55" doesn't have the best 3D, I know, I know, harumph grumble grumble
RiED27880 likes this.
post #11713 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, I suspected I hadn't stressed that disclaimer enough times.
Thanks for sharing your "underground secret settings".
Can't wait to get home and try them. RiEd and I both like our Sports to pop so I have a feeling I will like these based on his comments.

If I want accurate color, I can look out the window and watch the kids play in the back yard.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #11714 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
Thanks for sharing your "underground secret settings".
Can't wait to get home and try them. RiEd and I both like our Sports to pop so I have a feeling I will like these based on his comments.

If I want accurate color, I can look out the window and watch the kids play in the back yard.
Let me know. The only niggling thing I'm working on is whether I like color at 41 or 39 better.

You can always *eyeball* accuracy for grayscale to see if you are way off. Pull up a pluge screen on a calibration disc.

Alternatively, If you plug in settings into the browser app (you will have to use general/common but warm2 is what matters most here) they will take effect in the Screen&Network Test app.

The first screen that pops up has a rudimentary pluge at the bottom (no it would not be reliable to try and calibrate to it, I'd think).

If you notice red green or blue in a *significant* way across the gray bars, than yes you are probably sacrificing more than a bit of accuracy. If anything varies between our panels, it will be the white balance controls, I would guess.

This is really just for some peace of mind if you want to try it.

No ...we are not being scientific here, and no one is asserting otherwise.

I expect my Super Bowl bound Bears will pop this season, so might as well watch them popping.
Mdjones9137 likes this.

Last edited by flinchn; 08-11-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #11715 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

--------

Cinema->Cinema1

Backlight 7 (max for 3d)
Picture 77 (93 for 3d)
Brightness 52
Color 41
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm2
Sharpness 45
Smooth Gradation Low
Cinemotion Off

--Advanced--
Black Corrector Low
Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma -1
Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Low
Detail Enhancer Low
Edge Enhancer Low
Skin Naturalizer Off

Curious as how you came up with Resolution 56, and Picture at 77. Most other settings I've seen have Resolution around 5-8, and Picture in the 90s. Just wondering how you arrived at those 2 numbers.

Also, do many members use the AUTO setting for scene selection? I notice a lot of people use Cinema. The one thing I see though with Cinema is, that say you run everything through a xbox one, it won't enable game mode on the tv. I'm thinking if you do auto, then it will automatically go to game mode.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200

Last edited by bodean; 08-11-2014 at 04:41 PM.
post #11716 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Curious as how you came up with Resolution 56, and Picture at 77. Most other settings I've seen have Resolution around 5-8, and Picture in the 90s. Just wondering how you arrived at those 2 numbers.
Resolution at a higher number simply makes upscaled signals "sharper-looking" or more detailed and I knocked down sharpness a few notches because I like RC effect, from my viewing distance, better. There are no perceivable artifacts unless you put your nose to the screen.

(I did note that the Resolution under the Browser/App settings places 65 as their default RC resolution setting and at least one review I read endorsed the 56 number although they also thought the noise filtering setting should be 54? Don't see that )

I do not even turn RC on at all for 4k content.

Picture is a bit easier to explain. Any higher and on even a partially white screen and my eyes would burn out in the pitch black viewing room (7.5 ft away)

At a certain point I decided to defy conventional thinking and go for a wow picture, as I saw it. I have been playing in the menus for 14minths straight and I can bend each setting, and it's impact on the others to my will at this point.

I think my epiphany came when I realize I wasn't conforming to the dynamism attributes with content in motion, but calibrating to static patterns. I don't often watch static patterns. No knock on anyone else. I just decided to stretch its legs a bit.

So try it or not., no offense to me if you are skeptical. I don't feel the need to defend them like a pit bull. Just having some fun.

YMMV

Last edited by flinchn; 08-11-2014 at 05:42 PM.
post #11717 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd always been told that using Contrast to control light level was like using a digital volume control to lower the volume. You end up throwing away bits of signal resolution to reach your desired level.

Think of your LCD panel as the digital to analog converter. Contrast should be set as high as the panel's weakest primary(RGB) will allow. Looking at some of the test signals on the AVSForum test disk, on many sets you can see one of the primaries max out before the others, at some max Contrast/Color setting.

Backlight control should always be used to control light level.

Last edited by DiscoSmoke; 08-11-2014 at 06:05 PM.
post #11718 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSmoke View Post
I'd always been told that using Contrast to control light level was like using a digital volume control to lower the volume. You end up throwing away bits of signal resolution to reach your desired level.

Think of your LCD panel as the digital to analog converter. Contrast should be set as high as the panel's weakest primary(RGB) will allow. Looking at some of the test signals on the AVSForum test disk, on many sets you can see one of the primaries max out before the others, at some max Contrast/Color setting.

Backlight control should always be used to control light level.
Well pretty much everyone here has been happy with AJ's luminance measurement of 7 backlight / 86 Picture at approximately 40ft-L in his viewing conditions. Sound and Vision, for one, confirms with those exact settings.

I probably have near 0 ambient light with a bias light strip behind the set.

So I just need to tap the contrast/pic down. Keeping the Picture at 86 and knocking the backlight down to 6 does not have the same appreciable effect.

But yes I play those two against each other all the time to try and confirm one over the other. I suppose I could try 5/86? I have to think that would affect luminance.

I don't like green, red or especially blue push in my whites (most people find green push least objectionable on the high end), but more importantly- I hate dingy whites when you blast the luminance on a set. These types of concepts will differ in each situation,

This is a pretty easy one to nail down. If it bothers your eyes, luminance is too high (or possibly blue brightness) level is too high for you and 'socially acceptable' settings mean f-all.

Keep in mind you will have to revisit Brightness when you modify these two settings they are tied together. Also the higher you go with those two, your colors will be muted slightly and the tendency is to lower brightness to saturate them again- but then you are at risk of losing shadow detail.

Last edited by flinchn; 08-11-2014 at 06:46 PM.
post #11719 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, so many things to consider, Flinchn. Just leave it up to a colorimeter, and the answers pop right out. No ambiguity...
post #11720 of 11961 Old 08-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ah, so many things to consider, Flinchn. Just leave it up to a colorimeter, and the answers pop right out. No ambiguity...
The answers don't pop out when you have a depressing green cast over the entire picture using calibrated settings.

I go out of my way to avoid badgering you with my posts, so you don't feel the need to come back and reply to me every time with the same banality. And it seems all for naught, alas.., if you have specific corrections to what I say, or I have misrepresented your views and hard work then let me know and I will stand corrected.

But you can drop it now with the incessant needling every time I post. I'm not trying to argue with your (rather I endorse it with others) calibration work - don't you think?

I offer a free alternative for those that want to try it out. I don't take these things personally (whether 100 owners like my settings or just myself) nor do I require the consistent adulation of fans- notice I don't reply to all of your posts to needle you.

Everyone has their own perceptions.

Leave it -unless you have some specific, constructive advice. You know by now that I'm abandoning the calibration side of the art for the perception side.

My TVs picture tells me not to regret it.
Traylorc and zephyrzone like this.
post #11721 of 11961 Old 08-12-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The answers don't pop out when you have a depressing green cast over the entire picture using calibrated settings.

I go out of my way to avoid badgering you with my posts, so you don't feel the need to come back and reply to me every time with the same banality. And it seems all for naught, alas.., if you have specific corrections to what I say, or I have misrepresented your views and hard work then let me know and I will stand corrected.

But you can drop it now with the incessant needling every time I post. I'm not trying to argue with your (rather I endorse it with others) calibration work - don't you think?

I offer a free alternative for those that want to try it out. I don't take these things personally (whether 100 owners like my settings or just myself) nor do I require the consistent adulation of fans- notice I don't reply to all of your posts to needle you.

Everyone has their own perceptions.

Leave it -unless you have some specific, constructive advice. You know by now that I'm abandoning the calibration side of the art for the perception side.

My TVs picture tells me not to regret it.
First of all, my intention is not to offend you, and I apologize if I have done so.

However, I am an analytical type, and use tools and measurements in my Home Theater hobby. Those who know me are familiar with my use of REW to measure and optimize the performance of my audio system. So I continue to advocate tools and measurements in this thread to achieve what I believe are the best results. I know there is a subjective side of things, and I don't have a problem with that. However, when I see certain claims that go against logic, I feel compelled to comment. Do I believe a $1000 power cable improves audio quality? No. Do I think a Sony HDMI cable is different from any other good quality, high-speed cable? No. Do I believe gray scale can be properly set visually, without instrumentation? No.

I continue to reserve the right to express my opinion. I do promise to be sensitive to your posts going forward because, like I say again, my intent is not to find fault with your preferences.
Geoff D and zephyrzone like this.
post #11722 of 11961 Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
First of all, my intention is not to offend you, and I apologize if I have done so.

However, I am an analytical type, and use tools and measurements in my Home Theater hobby. Those who know me are familiar with my use of REW to measure and optimize the performance of my audio system. So I continue to advocate tools and measurements in this thread to achieve what I believe are the best results. I know there is a subjective side of things, and I don't have a problem with that. However, when I see certain claims that go against logic, I feel compelled to comment. Do I believe a $1000 power cable improves audio quality? No. Do I think a Sony HDMI cable is different from any other good quality, high-speed cable? No. Do I believe gray scale can be properly set visually, without instrumentation? No.

I continue to reserve the right to express my opinion. I do promise to be sensitive to your posts going forward because, like I say again, my intent is not to find fault with your preferences.
Fair enough. Peace
post #11723 of 11961 Old 08-12-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello new friends (hopefully),

On Sunday, I brought home an XBR 65x900a from Best Buy. I went to the store intending to buy a 65 inch Vizio M series with my roommate and ended up getting this instead. It's an out of box model that I got for a great price (2200+) The thing looks awesome hanging in our place - the picture looked amazing in the store etc.

Now that it's in the house, I'm having a hard time with the picture. I played a Bluray last night (The Dark Knight) and it was beyond incredible - especially the opening scene that takes advantage of the entire panel with no bars (Assuming that is because Nolan shot it with IMAX cameras). However, I am not totally pleased with the picture when I am watching DirecTV.

Here are my issues that I hope you guys can help me with:

1. This might be because it is my first non-plasma TV in 10 years, but the picture just looks hazy to me - almost washed out. It's like there is a white film over it or something. I have been trying the different settings listed in this thread (AJ's and some others) but still see that affect when I watch DTV. Another way I keep describing it is that it looks "soft."

2. Another thing I notice is the menu for DTV - or the bar at the top when I change the channel. It just doesn't look very black. Again this might be because I am used to the inky blacks of my Panasonic plasma that is now in my bedroom, but it just seems too light.

Can anyone advise me on what might be the problem? Is it my own expectations and that I'm used to something different? We watch from about 10 feet away. I love the look of the TV, the speakers, how it looks watching a BR etc and would hate to have to take it back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
post #11724 of 11961 Old 08-12-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello Everyone,

Today I received an update on my XBR-65X900A. Does anyone know what the update was for? Thank you in advance.

SteMo
post #11725 of 11961 Old 08-12-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenjman View Post
Hello Everyone,

Today I received an update on my XBR-65X900A. Does anyone know what the update was for? Thank you in advance.

SteMo
Are you currently on version PKG4.430
post #11726 of 11961 Old 08-12-2014, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenjman View Post
Hello Everyone,

SteMo
Yeah got one too

"Improves the stability and performance of Internet features" would be my guess.
post #11727 of 11961 Old 08-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A II R View Post
Hello new friends (hopefully),

On Sunday, I brought home an XBR 65x900a from Best Buy. I went to the store intending to buy a 65 inch Vizio M series with my roommate and ended up getting this instead. It's an out of box model that I got for a great price (2200+) The thing looks awesome hanging in our place - the picture looked amazing in the store etc.

Now that it's in the house, I'm having a hard time with the picture. I played a Bluray last night (The Dark Knight) and it was beyond incredible - especially the opening scene that takes advantage of the entire panel with no bars (Assuming that is because Nolan shot it with IMAX cameras). However, I am not totally pleased with the picture when I am watching DirecTV.

Here are my issues that I hope you guys can help me with:

1. This might be because it is my first non-plasma TV in 10 years, but the picture just looks hazy to me - almost washed out. It's like there is a white film over it or something. I have been trying the different settings listed in this thread (AJ's and some others) but still see that affect when I watch DTV. Another way I keep describing it is that it looks "soft."

2. Another thing I notice is the menu for DTV - or the bar at the top when I change the channel. It just doesn't look very black. Again this might be because I am used to the inky blacks of my Panasonic plasma that is now in my bedroom, but it just seems too light.

Can anyone advise me on what might be the problem? Is it my own expectations and that I'm used to something different? We watch from about 10 feet away. I love the look of the TV, the speakers, how it looks watching a BR etc and would hate to have to take it back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I have DirecTV

1. I came from a plasma and this set has significantly better clarity and detail (and way better white accuracy) on my sat feed so I don't know what to say.

2. The bar at the top should properly be gray with a tinge of purple.
post #11728 of 11961 Old 08-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_purdue View Post
Are you currently on version PKG4.430
Pkg 4.451AAA
post #11729 of 11961 Old 08-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Pkg 4.451AAA
It seems to be downloading very slowly, about 20 seconds per 1%.

....and yes the internet stability seems to always be a part of it.
post #11730 of 11961 Old 08-12-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_purdue View Post
are you currently on version pkg4.430
pkg4.451aaa
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page