Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 392 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11731 of 12609 Old 08-12-2014, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to everyone who contributes to these forums - and those who helped answer my previous question some weeks ago. I've learned a lot about the set since then, and tried several sets of settings including AustinJerry and flinchn - thanks for taking the time to post and tweak those, guys.

I may eventually have it calibrated, but for now I've found the most happiness with the Sound and Vision settings. I do have one annoying ongoing issue, though. Motion in Amazon Instant Video playback. My kid watches Thomas the Tank Engine on that sometimes, and WOW does it drive me nuts. Things moving against a fixed background just "jump" all the time (e.g. one animated train passing another). Even just a single person moving at reasonable speed against a fixed indoor background (between the animated segments) jerks back and forth.

This has not happened when watching Blu-Ray and 3d Blu-Ray movies for me. I'd blame Amazon's compression, but A) my wife swears the jerkiness disappears if I she uses Amazon on the Xbox 360, and B) and it doesn't look like those artifacts usually do.

I don't blame the internet connection because the whole frame/picture isn't stuttering or anything, and the resolution stays consistently high. But ugh, I'm getting motion sick. I'm going to go double check I've got all motion stuff turned off (which I think I do), but I'm looking for other ideas and suggestions for testing.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11732 of 12609 Old 08-13-2014, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Regarding the new firmware update I posted this a while ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by viiv View Post
Just an FYI regarding Skype if anyone uses it, Skype made some protocol changes a bit back and the TV's built in Skype app hasn't been working since. A firmware update for the TV is incoming by the end of August that will update Skype to the newest protocols.
In addition to the above, the update also improves the Hybrid Broadcast Broadband TV (HbbTV currently utilized in Europe) and improves the stability and performance of Internet features.

Regarding the USB device streaming feature, notice how when you use a PC for example watching YouTube, your computer buffers the video. Well your TV doesnt have any built in memory to buffer the video with. By permanently dedicating a USB memory key to your TV, you give your TV writeable memory to buffer streaming internet video like a PC.

Last edited by viiv; 08-13-2014 at 12:16 AM.
post #11733 of 12609 Old 08-13-2014, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishChef View Post
Thanks to everyone who contributes to these forums - and those who helped answer my previous question some weeks ago. I've learned a lot about the set since then, and tried several sets of settings including AustinJerry and flinchn - thanks for taking the time to post and tweak those, guys.

I may eventually have it calibrated, but for now I've found the most happiness with the Sound and Vision settings. I do have one annoying ongoing issue, though. Motion in Amazon Instant Video playback. My kid watches Thomas the Tank Engine on that sometimes, and WOW does it drive me nuts. Things moving against a fixed background just "jump" all the time (e.g. one animated train passing another). Even just a single person moving at reasonable speed against a fixed indoor background (between the animated segments) jerks back and forth.

This has not happened when watching Blu-Ray and 3d Blu-Ray movies for me. I'd blame Amazon's compression, but A) my wife swears the jerkiness disappears if I she uses Amazon on the Xbox 360, and B) and it doesn't look like those artifacts usually do.

I don't blame the internet connection because the whole frame/picture isn't stuttering or anything, and the resolution stays consistently high. But ugh, I'm getting motion sick. I'm going to go double check I've got all motion stuff turned off (which I think I do), but I'm looking for other ideas and suggestions for testing.

Thanks,
Not quite sure what the root cause is but I have some suspicions which may help you diagnose.

Amazon HD is 720p, there is no 1080p offering. The upscaling required to deliver the extra resolution on the panel may be taxing the processor resulting in latency. I do know there is extra computational power required for 720 sources. I don't know if this is the cause of the problem you mentioned. It's possible your wife isn't as sensitive to it as you are.

I have a FireTV and a PS3 and PS4. When I watch Amazon Prime on the Playstations I too notice significant motion blur that is minimal/nonexistent on the Amazon FireTV box. There should be no reason at all for this, but I assure you it's true. Content from Amazon looks better on the FireTV. As a side note, I have the means to investigate this further as I work closely with the FireTV group. I've actually been meaning to ask for a couple of weeks.

The last one may be obvious, but check your source settings. You may have motionflow set to off on your Amazon source and standard, clear or smooth on other sources. This absolutely will make a difference. Whether or not you like the effect of the smoothing is up to you, but it does significantly improve the motion handling. I watch all content with the "standard" motionflow setting. I feel it hits the right balance between a natural look and motion blur reduction.

Now I have my own question. I just recently noticed the very light black vertical banding that appears during extremely light colored scenes when there's motion, such as a camera that pans across a clear sky. It wouldn't bother me much except that it's more apparent in gaming because of all the fast camera movement. I've read much of this thread and noticed others also have this issue to a greater or lesser extent, but it doesn't seem like everyone does. My guess is the black bands are areas between the fixed LEDs that aren't getting the same amount of light, but I really don't know.

If ALL of these sets have that "issue" to some degree, and it's simply the nature of the edge lit beast, I'd be OK with it even knowing that other tv models don't do this. However, if it's a known problem with the panel that's a different story that may result in a call to Sony. I don't feel like I'm being particularly sensitive either. My panel has some clouding but I expect that and it isn't nearly as bad as other LCDs I've seen. The motion handling of this set isn't quite what I was hoping for, especially after coming from the HX800 which was 240hz, although that really shouldn't make a difference if I understand the technology correctly. But when you add all three up, it's less than ideal for a $5k TV. Interestingly, I don't recall reading a single review which mentioned motion resolution on this set as anything less than the best available LCD's. One reviewer said the detail was scrubbed away when panning, and I do notice that. Wish it wasn't the case, but it is and IMO worth the trade-offs.

In the "not bitching" department, the overall PQ of this set is mind blowing, even on 1080p sources. It's certainly the best I've seen but I haven't spent any real time with the new Samsung plasma (8500 I think?). My final choices came down to that TV or the X9. I chose the x9 because I read the PQ was similar (with the usual plasma vs LCD caveats), the x9 was 4k with passive 3d (a big deal for me) and the overall aesthetic of the design.

With everything the x9 has going for it though, motion handling and viewing angles seem to be the weak points. I wonder if native 4k content will handle motion better because of the lack of upconversion?
post #11734 of 12609 Old 08-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrzone View Post

Now I have my own question. I just recently noticed the very light black vertical banding that appears during extremely light colored scenes when there's motion, such as a camera that pans across a clear sky. It wouldn't bother me much except that it's more apparent in gaming because of all the fast camera movement. I've read much of this thread and noticed others also have this issue to a greater or lesser extent, but it doesn't seem like everyone does. My guess is the black bands are areas between the fixed LEDs that aren't getting the same amount of light, but I really don't know.

If ALL of these sets have that "issue" to some degree, and it's simply the nature of the edge lit beast, I'd be OK with it even knowing that other tv models don't do this.
I believe everyone sees this banding phenomenon to some degree (mine is erratic and barely noticeable) when this panel displays panning horizontally across blue or gray skies.
post #11735 of 12609 Old 08-13-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Wow, I am watching a recording of Manhattan on WGN America (DirecTV HD), and the motion judder is really terrible. No setting of Motion Control offers any improvement. What is it about some broadcasts that result in excessive motion judder? I don't see this on most other channels I watch.

Last edited by AustinJerry; 08-13-2014 at 08:47 PM.
post #11736 of 12609 Old 08-13-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have a question.

Hooking up my Razer Blade laptop at 1920x1080 causes 24hz lock.

If I run it at 1600x900, it does not lock the frame rate.

Is there a way to bypass this on the set?
post #11737 of 12609 Old 08-13-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Wow, I am watching a recording of Manhattan on WGN America (DirecTV HD), and the motion judder is really terrible. No setting of Motion Control offers and improvement. What is it about some broadcasts that result in excessive motion judder? I don't see this on most other channels I watch.
Some broadcasters and cable operator just plain old do a crap job of it.

nuke
post #11738 of 12609 Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post
Some broadcasters and cable operator just plain old do a crap job of it.
I would like to understand the root cause. I have long suspected that DirecTV allocates more signal bandwidth to some channels over others. The premium channels are usually pristine quality, while channels like WGN probably don't get the same bandwidth.

Anyone have any insight on the hypothesis?
post #11739 of 12609 Old 08-13-2014, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I would like to understand the root cause. I have long suspected that DirecTV allocates more signal bandwidth to some channels over others. The premium channels are usually pristine quality, while channels like WGN probably don't get the same bandwidth.

Pretty much all providers do that.. and yes it is blatantly obvious sometimes.
post #11740 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

As you are probably aware Jerry, whether it's Directv or Dish, a Satellite has a fixed amount of Transponders (TPs) aboard. Each TP has a definitive amount of bandwidth. Either company will allocate or shove as many channels as they can on an individual TP due to limited capacity. Most likely when it comes to "premium" channels (HBO, Starz, etc.) they could be putting less channels on that TP or might have the ability to control the amount of definitive bandwidth individually to each channel on a single TP (which I'm quite sure they can). If able to control then for instance a channel like WGN maybe be severely constrained bandwidth because other channel(s) on the TP are being allocated much more giving a better picture with less compression..
Gerry

Last edited by ggw2000; 08-14-2014 at 05:18 AM.
post #11741 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
As you are probably aware Jerry, whether it's Directv or Dish, a Satellite has a fixed amount of Transponders (TPs) aboard. Each TP has a definitive amount of bandwidth. Either company will allocate or shove as many channels as they can on an individual TP due to limited capacity. Most likely when it comes to "premium" channels (HBO, Starz, etc.) they could be putting less channels on that TP or might have the ability to control the amount of definitive bandwidth individually to each channel on a single TP (which I'm quite sure they can). If able to control then for instance a channel like WGN maybe be severely constrained bandwidth because other channel(s) on the TP are being allocated much more giving a better picture with less compression..
Gerry
At the end of the day, just be glad you do not have uverse! Unless you are watching a sporting event the shows look like garbage. The premium channels are a mixed bag and generally are of poor quality =/
post #11742 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Gerry
Makes sense, thanks. It would be interesting if someone would tune into the Manhattan show to see it they are seeing the same poor quality. And also whether any of the MotionFlow settings yields an improvement. And BTW, it is actually a pretty interesting program.
post #11743 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
At the end of the day, just be glad you do not have uverse! Unless you are watching a sporting event the shows look like garbage. The premium channels are a mixed bag and generally are of poor quality =/
That is too bad. You deserve a quality broadcast. Just curious, have you considered satellite? I have had DirecTV since 1994, and have always been extremely pleased, both with the signal quality and the reliability and features of their equipment.
post #11744 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is too bad. You deserve a quality broadcast. Just curious, have you considered satellite? I have had DirecTV since 1994, and have always been extremely pleased, both with the signal quality and the reliability and features of their equipment.
I will definitely get DirecTV once I move into a house. I am currently in an apartment, and I do not have a clear view of the southern sky, and my apartment will not allow the dish to be mounted on the building
post #11745 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Makes sense, thanks. It would be interesting if someone would tune into the Manhattan show to see it they are seeing the same poor quality. And also whether any of the MotionFlow settings yields an improvement. And BTW, it is actually a pretty interesting program.
I DVR Manhattan and have watched the first two episodes. Have not noticed any motion or other problems on Dish....
Gerry
post #11746 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I DVR Manhattan and have watched the first two episodes. Have not noticed any motion or other problems on Dish....
Gerry
That would suggest the problem is with DirecTV. I don't see issues with other DTV programming, though. I have started a thread on DBSTalk, and have also sent an email to WGNAmerica to see if I can get to root cause.
post #11747 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quick question for the pro calibration members on here, (and everyone else who wants to pitch in I have been playing around the last couple of days with the "clear white" picture setting. I've kept it on "low" for most of the time I have owned the set and found that it gave the picture a bit more "pop" in contrast, but recently I turned it completely off on all of my picture settings excluding my preloaded apps like Netflix. I found that the picture loses a little of the crystal clear peak whites when off, but the over all PQ gains fine detail in certain areas where there might have been a bit of white clipping. I guess what i'm saying is, do any of you guys use the clear white option on "low"? Does it make any difference in the overall PQ of the set? Is there any benefit to enable such setting under any circumstances? Or is off my best bet? Thanks in advance and any feed back is greatly appreciated.
post #11748 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Quick question for the pro calibration members on here, (and everyone else who wants to pitch in I have been playing around the last couple of days with the "clear white" picture setting. I've kept it on "low" for most of the time I have owned the set and found that it gave the picture a bit more "pop" in contrast, but recently I turned it completely off on all of my picture settings excluding my preloaded apps like Netflix. I found that the picture loses a little of the crystal clear peak whites when off, but the over all PQ gains fine detail in certain areas where there might have been a bit of white clipping. I guess what i'm saying is, do any of you guys use the clear white option on "low"? Does it make any difference in the overall PQ of the set? Is there any benefit to enable such setting under any circumstances? Or is off my best bet? Thanks in advance and any feed back is greatly appreciated.
I have it on low for the reasons you mentioned. Without it, I think whites look a little dirty. I use AJ settings with clear white on low.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #11749 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
I keep it off because it introduces blue to the whites as well and negatively impacts to the very top end of blue colors.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #11750 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have Direct tv and have watched the first two episodes of Manhattan and have not seen any problem with the picture or any motion problems. I am using Austin Jerry's settings.
post #11751 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That would suggest the problem is with DirecTV. I don't see issues with other DTV programming, though. I have started a thread on DBSTalk, and have also sent an email to WGNAmerica to see if I can get to root cause.
Jerry, are you aware of "satelliteguys.us" besides DBSTalk? Personally I like it better...
Gerry
bodean likes this.
post #11752 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

The "Clear White" alters the curve of the color temperature towards blue in the brighter parts of the image, while leaving the darker parts whatever color temperature you have set.

The easiest way to see the effect is to put up a grayscale image, like the greyscale step bars on the AVS Forum calibration disk, select Warm 2 for the XBR's color temperature. Then just turn the clear white feature on and off. You'll see exactly what it does.

It's kind of the Sony equivalent of a mullet haircut. D65 is the correct color temperature, but scorchingly bright TV's with extremely blue tilted whites sell TV's on the showroom. This is kind of half and half, leave the blacks and mids more or less alone, but sizzle the eyeballs on the whites.
RiED27880 likes this.

nuke
post #11753 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Jerry, are you aware of "satelliteguys.us" besides DBSTalk? Personally I like it better...
Gerry
I'll give it a look, thanks.
post #11754 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 105
All I can say is I'm glad I'm colorblind...

I have no issues with anybody's shared settings, they all look fabulous! !!!. I have started playing with the "general" picture mode though... Really like the extra pop on 4k content for some reason. ..

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
RiED27880 likes this.
post #11755 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Wow, I am watching a recording of Manhattan on WGN America (DirecTV HD), and the motion judder is really terrible. No setting of Motion Control offers any improvement. What is it about some broadcasts that result in excessive motion judder? I don't see this on most other channels I watch.
With 1080i broadcasts of 24P source material, anything that interrupts the 3:2 pulldown conversion from progressive to interlaced will cause crazy judder. They are probably doing time compression to squeeze in more ads. Movies on FX, even though 720P, use to be unwatchable due to judder. Though lately, they have cleaned up their act.

Last edited by DiscoSmoke; 08-14-2014 at 06:37 PM.
post #11756 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The deed is done. My 55 A has been swapped for a B. So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu...
post #11757 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The deed is done. My 55 A has been swapped for a B. So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu...
Congratulations and good luck.

Stop back to say howdy.
Geoff D likes this.
post #11758 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nice, Geoff. It was nice having your input here. Also would enjoy hearing how the 3D compares.
Geoff D likes this.
post #11759 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
congratulations Geoff D, hope you enjoy your new set, and do please let us know what you think of the active 3D. Best of luck and stop by anytime your post have been very helpful to many including myself
Geoff D likes this.
post #11760 of 12609 Old 08-14-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I don't think I'll have good news on the 3D front! But I've made my peace with it.

One thing that's immediately obvious is the sound: the TV has loud, obnoxious bass, it's got nothing like the finesse of the A series. Still, I'd better give it a year to bed in, just to make sure...
RiED27880 likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com