Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 394 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11791 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys, keep the opinions comming.

Anyone see the 3d on both 900a and 900b?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11792 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Ask that question to Geoff D. He is likely in the B thread now.
post #11793 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM

Yes, I checked for him in the other but not too much from him yet
post #11794 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Either he's thrilled with it, and can't drag himself away to post.....

or

he's on the phone with Sony getting a replacement television.

(I hear three or four exchanges is the latest "in" thing.)
wase4711 likes this.
post #11795 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post
I feel bad for the early adopters who got stuck with the X1. I knew what I was getting into buying the 65X900A on closeout. For what I paid, I'm happy. And I sprung for the FMPX10 at the pre-order price of $500.

So far, the X10 is working pretty well. I watched SpiderMan II (free) on it last night and there is definitely a very nice quality to 4K movies.

I have a feeling that the X10 is going to be a boat anchor sooner rather than later. But it works. The X1 seems to be nothing but trouble. I figure in a year or two, we'll have
$99 4k streamers from Amazon and Google. Apple will have one that costs $249 and only does iTunes, but will work perfectly.

I don't know what Sony promised, but if they promised upgrades and didn't deliver them, then you have a cause of action against them and it will eventually be a class action most likely. If it goes that way, the best you'll get is a $25 gift certificate and the lawyers will get $10M and expenses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Either he's thrilled with it, and can't drag himself away to post.....

or

he's on the phone with Sony getting a replacement television.

(I hear three or four exchanges is the latest "in" thing.)
Well if I keep the 900a ill have 3 year bestbuy warranty

Ive seen his post in there but he is complaining about fps/12 bit and hdmi stuff
Geoff D likes this.
post #11796 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Keep the A, save your money, you miss out on playing 4k from the USB directly via a flash drive, but you have the x10.

As Austinjerry says, your A may be a dud and you have no choice to go the B
post #11797 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Wow, plugged in the settings I was using for "standard" under "custom" picture setting and there realy is a clear difference! Custom is more natural and the colors look more true to life while still maintaining that "pop" I crave for watching sports on my dish HD receiver. looks like sony calibrated that picture setting to be closer to cinema1 and the results are beautiful to see, specially in a light controlled environment. I remember reading a while back on this thread how Austin Jerry found very similar results when using his calibrated settings used with Cinema on Custom as well. I guess that is why I decided to experiment with something other than cinema1 and standard AJ settings make this set feel as you are looking through a window! Tthanks again AJ
post #11798 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Sony called me today and gave me a straight up offer to send me a FMP-X10 if send in my X1. No idea what I'm going to do yet.
post #11799 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Wow, plugged in the settings I was using for "standard" under "custom" picture setting and there realy is a clear difference! Custom is more natural and the colors look more true to life while still maintaining that "pop" I crave for watching sports on my dish HD receiver. looks like sony calibrated that picture setting to be closer to cinema1 and the results are beautiful to see, specially in a light controlled environment. I remember reading a while back on this thread how Austin Jerry found very similar results when using his calibrated settings used with Cinema on Custom as well. I guess that is why I decided to experiment with something other than cinema1 and standard AJ settings make this set feel as you are looking through a window! Tthanks again AJ
Funny, plugging the exact same settings into general/custom as I use I'm cinema/cinema one and toggling presents an undesirable black crush on shadow detail / or possibly gamma with general.
post #11800 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post
Sony called me today and gave me a straight up offer to send me a FMP-X10 if send in my X1. No idea what I'm going to do yet.
As long as you don't have issues transferring purchased content, sounds like a no-brainier to me. You get streaming 4K, a cute little remote, and the same audio issues.
post #11801 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

I was under the impression you lose the 10 free titles and the audio was fixed??
post #11802 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was under the impression you lose the 10 free titles and the audio was fixed??
When Sony swapped out my X1 for an X10, I was asked which movies I had purchased and downloaded. When I received the X10, those movies were available to me without re-purchasing. Others have had issues with getting access to their purchased content. As with all things Sony, your experience may vary.

As for the audio issues, no, they are not fixed. All you need to do is read the X10 thread and you will see the current state. It is not pretty.
post #11803 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
You do but, fmp-x10 you get

Free amazing spiderman 2
Hevc solution for Netflix 4k streaming
Future adaptation potential

Cons
You lose 10 free movies
Some say you get 10 free clips of 10 movies

Have'nt used mine yet so....
post #11804 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I repeat, as long as you actually "purchased" and downloaded the ten free movies, you do not lose them.
post #11805 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
When Sony swapped out my X1 for an X10, I was asked which movies I had purchased and downloaded. When I received the X10, those movies were available to me without re-purchasing. Others have had issues with getting access to their purchased content. As with all things Sony, your experience may vary.

As for the audio issues, no, they are not fixed. All you need to do is read the X10 thread and you will see the current state. It is not pretty.
F it then
wase4711 likes this.
post #11806 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post
Can you watch 2 3d movies in a row with active glasses without hurting your eyes

Also when 4k 3d comes out, will I be suck with half res 2k on the 900a xbr?

Last question, how do you like 900a 65inch, how is the 3d compared to theaters? Hows the 4k movies

I like the x900a 65inch with fmp-x10 with passive 3d but want to be left behind with some of limitations like hevc or hdmi 2. But was told 900a is hdmi 2 capable and hevc is corrected with the fmp-x10

You what do you think
Xbr-65x900a w/fmp-10 or just the xbr-65x900b?
I
I cannot watch active 3d for longer than a few hours. I do not notice any flickering, but I still get eye strain/fatigue after about 1.5 hours and my eyes start watering until I take a break. It really stinks, because I find myself eagerly waiting for the movie to end so I can relieve myself of discomfort. The heavier glasses also begin to hurt the bridge of my nose after a while, even though they felt fine at first. Though, to be fair, my active 3d experience is with a sony hx800 series, which is a bit older tech. Active may have gotten better since then. You may want to try and find a way to spend a longer period of time with the active than just a brief show room experience if 3d is important to you, and you are seriously considering the B series.

I have none of these problems with the passive on the x900a, and have watched about 4 hours of consecutive 3d content without a break or discomfort of any kind.

If and when 4k 3d format comes around, you are correct in that the A will not be able to output 4k to each eye. But, I don't think this will matter in the end. Many people already argue that the difference between HD and 4k is imperceptible. I can't imagine the difference between half 4k 3D and full 4k 3D being enough to worry about.

As for HDMI, the A and B have the same specs (though some older A models require a hardware upgrade). The only difference is the A only has one port with HDCP 2.2, and i think the B may have more. Most likely, once more 4k players are available, this will mean you can only have one 4k enabled device hooked up to the A at a time. However I am sure home theater receivers in the future will easily solve that problem. Same with the HEVC. You don't really need HEVC in your TV so long as some component in your home theater setup has it. Its probably only a matter of time before something like google chromecast has it.

As for the theater, I feel this tv is as good as a theater, except with less kids kicking your seat, cheaper concessions, and you don't have to put up with the jerk on the next row talking the whole time (unless you ARE that jerk, in which case you will be doing others a favor by sating home and enjoying this tv). In fact, with the money I will save by staying home and enjoying this beauty rather than going to the theater, this TV will basically pay for itself. In fact, I may have actually made money.

My opinion, 65x900a with media player, assuming you don't have a dud panel with uniformity issues, is far and away better than the 65x900b.
bruceames likes this.
post #11807 of 12628 Old 08-18-2014, 11:03 PM

Thank you for your responses, all great, im 90% leaning towards keeping the 900a, ill pull it out of storage and check the inputs tomarrow
post #11808 of 12628 Old 08-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Not quite sure what exactly you are saying. Are you using AJs settings under custom? Your first sentence and last sentence are confusing me (easy to do ).
Thanks, Gerry
post #11809 of 12628 Old 08-19-2014, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Not quite sure what exactly you are saying. Are you using AJs settings under custom? Your first sentence and last sentence are confusing me (easy to do ).
Thanks, Gerry
I use AJ settings for movies (bluray player) I twicked his settings a bit differently to my preference and use "custom" for my Dish hd receiver to watch sports mainly. I found they are similar but custom under general gives me a bit more pop for sports. By the way, just watched amazing spider man 2 in 3D and it looks better than I remember in the theaters! WOW! The bluray set is mastered in 4k as well so it actualy looked very close to 4k with the x9's fantastic upscaler. Some of the best 3D I've seen as well. A great buy
Mdjones9137 likes this.
post #11810 of 12628 Old 08-19-2014, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I bought Spiderman 2 today and inside were coupons for food. I buy movies often, is this new or have i just not been paying attention?
post #11811 of 12628 Old 08-19-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

@RiED27880 : Your results are interesting. I wish we knew a little more about what is happening under the covers with General/Standard, General/Custom and the two Cinema picture modes.
I have run my usual calibration routine for General/Custom and compared the results with Cinema. The settings are very close, yet when I switch back and forth between the two picture modes I can see a subtle difference. Not enough to prefer one over the other, though.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #11812 of 12628 Old 08-19-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Okay guys, I've spent a few days twiddlin' and a' tweakin' with the 55" B series and here is the news: I like it a lot.

The 2D images are cleaner and sharper than on my 55" A, for three main reasons. One: the smearing blacks of the A series panel had a bigger effect on temporal resolution than I thought. Folks may remember me saying that there wasn't a lot of overt motion blur on my set, but compared to the B it was definitely missing that extra touch of motion clarity. Two: I think the visible line structure of the 540p passive FPR detail played its part, because it kind of 'dithered' the detail underneath, if that makes sense. (Obviously this isn't so much of an issue for the 65" A owners, and the same goes for the smearing blacks too because the 65" panel seemed to be much better in that regard.) Three: Sony have tweaked the high-frequency response so that it no longer needs to have Reality Creation enabled to pass single pixel detail. I think the Reality Creation processing is exceptional but at the end of the day it's exactly that: processing, and the less the image has the better it is, IMO. All in all the 2D picture quality is stunning.

I know some people have had a lot of trouble getting a set with decent backlight uniformity, and when got my one I was horrified to see a row of bleed along the top edge of the screen. It wasn't just blobs of light, oh no, it was like there was a series of little flashlights shaped like this /\ beaming down from the top. But that got me thinking....are these things showing up because something has been tightened too much internally? So I took off the back of the TV, as you do, and loosened several screws along the top of the panel. Cut to a couple of days later and I can still just see a small patch of bleed at the top left, but the blatant 'flashlights' seem to have gone. I couldn't have asked for a better DIY result than that!

3D is where it gets interesting. My main concern was the crosstalk on active Sony TVs, having seen it first hand on other sets I was dreading watching 3D on this TV. At first my worst fears were realised, as there was obvious crosstalk but as soon as I turned the MotionFlow off, the crosstalk all but disappeared. Great! But.....there are other issues. The strict shutter rate of the glasses causes heavy flicker in my peripheral vision, even with normal daylight. This was not a problem with the old-school Sony active glasses because they had that wrap-around design, but these 'open' type ones are not the best idea for active. Still, close the curtains or turn off the light and that's that problem solved.

Then there's the backlight being locked to maximum in 3D mode because of the light loss of the active shutters, which isn't a Bad Thing in and of itself but it reveals a huge patch of DSE that cuts right across the screen and can be quite distracting with shots that have a vertical tilt. (The DSE is virtually invisible in 2D because after calibration I only needed the backlight up at 2.) Another thing is that the active shutters create almost like a 'double motion' effect with certain speeds of movement. It's not crosstalk, it's more like the two separate images can't keep up with each other. Turning the MotionFlow to Smooth solves this problem, but it then generates the dreaded soap opera effect with 24p AND it ramps up the crosstalk, as I said above.

Here's the kicker with the 3D: it's not 1080p on the 55" B series either! I can only surmise that Sony has again made that compromise to create a wider viewing angle on the 'smaller' screen. Thankfully, this time around that compromise has not affected 2D viewing (no FPR lines) and Sony have made sure to put a proper low-pass filter in place, as diagonal edges have none of the distracting aliasing which plagued the 55" A series in 3D. I don't know whether it's 540 like before or perhaps something inbetween, because there are no 720-line 3D test materials on the S&M disc, only 540 and 1080. 540 is fine, 1080 is greyed out. Might see if I can download a pattern from somewhere and then force the simulated 3D, that should still show up the resolution.

Heck of it is, I still enjoy watching 3D on this set! I don't find active to be fatiguing and some of those issues I mentioned only appear under certain conditions. It's still less than 1080p unfortunately, but without the jaggies of the A series it's more satisfying and it's still got great depth and separation with minimal crosstalk.
everunman and RiED27880 like this.
post #11813 of 12628 Old 08-19-2014, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks so much Geoff for posting your thoughts. How's the colors on the b compared to the a since you lost the quantum dots?
post #11814 of 12628 Old 08-19-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by halon View Post
I bought Spiderman 2 today and inside were coupons for food. I buy movies often, is this new or have i just not been paying attention?
I bought the first Spiderman in 3D today along with the second one. That had a pamphlet with a recipe for spiderman peanut butter cookies. Never saw that with anything else i bought.
post #11815 of 12628 Old 08-19-2014, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
I bought the first Spiderman in 3D today along with the second one. That had a pamphlet with a recipe for spiderman peanut butter cookies. Never saw that with anything else i bought.
Howdy neighbor! I'm not too far from the 'burgh. Best city on earth!
Mdjones9137 likes this.
post #11816 of 12628 Old 08-20-2014, 12:51 AM

Just opened my 65inch 900a to view the specs in detail (still remained in the box bottom shell just took off top shell)

On the box it has a sticker of the fmp-x1 (first gen model)
After that I checked the hdmi inputs.
Three of them were next to each other, then there was one to the far left (should I be concerned)?

Bought spiderman 2 from target soon as they opened, got coupon for free popcorn and drink from target inside the case.
It seemed like thet didnt have many of the 3d versions, I only saw 3 other copies total!!
post #11817 of 12628 Old 08-20-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Based on your observations, your set has the HDMI4 fix that will support the 4K player, based on its physical port location. The sticker is a second indication that the set has the HDCP modificatio.

But I thought the purpose of opening the box was to hook up the panel, display some content, and make sure there wasn't any clouding and banding. Did you do that? IMO, that will be a key determining factor whether you keep the set or not.
post #11818 of 12628 Old 08-20-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknightman View Post
Thanks so much Geoff for posting your thoughts. How's the colors on the b compared to the a since you lost the quantum dots?
I can't see a difference. The quantum dots are a great idea, but I think Sony realised that while that tech can provide colour far in excess of what rec.709 needs, these TVs are basically locked to that colour space in terms of internal video processing so all that extra expense just wasn't worth it.
post #11819 of 12628 Old 08-20-2014, 08:09 AM

My parents dont want me to hook it up, and my house wont close escrow until next Friday but ill ask them today, by the the way when you say clouding and banning what is that?

Last edited by ultraflexed; 08-20-2014 at 08:16 AM.
post #11820 of 12628 Old 08-20-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I can't see a difference. The quantum dots are a great idea, but I think Sony realised that while that tech can provide colour far in excess of what rec.709 needs, these TVs are basically locked to that colour space in terms of internal video processing so all that extra expense just wasn't worth it.
Thanks very much for your insight!!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com