Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 395 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11821 of 12604 Old 08-20-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 914
Asking for trouble, IMO. Not all of us are experts like Geoff.
CSPerera likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11822 of 12604 Old 08-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTuell View Post
Thanks Geoff D,
I was considering removing my back panel ( 65X900A) and trying to play around with the screws at the top and bottom to alleviate some of the uniformity issues I have. Mine are mainly lighter and darker areas shaped much the same as yours on light bluish or grayish background like the sky especially when the scene pans across. I was wonder exactly which screws you were refering to. Picture with back panel off. Was it the 12 or so screws at the very top edge? Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
CPTuell
I say just leave it off...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
post #11823 of 12604 Old 08-20-2014, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Looking at that picture with the back panel off makes me wonder how this was ever a $7000 tv and what is so heavy to push this over 100 lbs.
post #11824 of 12604 Old 08-20-2014, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
Looking at that picture with the back panel off makes me wonder how this was ever a $7000 tv and what is so heavy to push this over 100 lbs.
The electric tape ....

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
teeitup likes this.
post #11825 of 12604 Old 08-21-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just ordered my 65X900A (Arrives in 4-5 days), it feels weird going from my Pio 6020 to an LED....but I know it will be worth it. I got a super steal of a deal on it new in box I'm really excited to get it setup and enjoy it. Reviews and other ppl have been pretty pumped up about it. I have a feeling I will be enjoying 3D content finally!
post #11826 of 12604 Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Had a question on the reality Creation control. When does Mastered in 4K become active to be usable? What does it do? Does it make a difference? I thought I saw it active once playing a disc now I cannot get it to work.

If I had to guess, it activates when viewing movies MASTERED IN 4K by SONY, correct? When I view the new Amazing Spiderman 2 which is mastered in 4 K it still is not active. Any ideas about this?
post #11827 of 12604 Old 08-21-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The Mastered in 4K option is selectable when showing a 1080p/24 signal. Most people recommend always leaving it on.
post #11828 of 12604 Old 08-21-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, I just tested it, and Mi4K seems to be available as long as the resolution is 1080, including 1080i and 1080p/60. In previous discussions, I believe Geoff D mentioned that On is the best setting.
post #11829 of 12604 Old 08-21-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
My son works at BB, and he just texted me that someone just returned an XBR-65X900A after only having it for a day. With his discount, and it being an open box item, I can get it for $1150. I currently have a Sharp Aquos LC-60E88UN, so my question would be, would I see a significantly noticeable difference in PQ with the Sony? Obviously, 4K content is still in it's very early stages, so I would be watching Comcast HD most of the time, and gaming a lot on my PS4.
How are you coming up with 1150? Is it damaged? I too work at BBUY and it is 1684 at emp pricing, open box typically doesn't apply to emp pricing. But great that you can get it for that price
post #11830 of 12604 Old 08-21-2014, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
Had a question on the reality Creation control. When does Mastered in 4K become active to be usable? What does it do? Does it make a difference? I thought I saw it active once playing a disc now I cannot get it to work.

If I had to guess, it activates when viewing movies MASTERED IN 4K by SONY, correct? When I view the new Amazing Spiderman 2 which is mastered in 4 K it still is not active. Any ideas about this?
Are you viewing the 3D disc or the 2D disc ? The back of the box on the movie says mastered in 4K (2D only). I watched the 2D disc last night and it appeared for me and was set to on. Have not watched the 3D disc yet but I don't expect it to be an option.

Edit: just validated the 3D disc has the mastered in 4K option off and greyed out.

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 08-21-2014 at 07:03 PM.
post #11831 of 12604 Old 08-21-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Thanks Geoff D,
I was considering removing my back panel ( 65X900A) and trying to play around with the screws at the top and bottom to alleviate some of the uniformity issues I have. Mine are mainly lighter and darker areas shaped much the same as yours on light bluish or grayish background like the sky especially when the scene pans across. I was wonder exactly which screws you were refering to. Picture with back panel off. Was it the 12 or so screws at the very top edge? Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
CPTuell
The B is laid out a bit differently, there are more long metal strips along the top (which are attached to the actual frame of the panel) and some screws are facing up as well as out. I loosened all of those along the top which I could see.

And yes, as Lee said, there's lots of screws. That pic looked familiar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Actually, I just tested it, and Mi4K seems to be available as long as the resolution is 1080, including 1080i and 1080p/60. In previous discussions, I believe Geoff D mentioned that On is the best setting.

It's not essential IMO. Folks may remember me saying that it's a single-pixel edge/contrast enhancer, one up and one over, mostly for luma than the chroma. It certainly makes the single-pixel test patterns stand out more, but it's overcooking them because they should look grey from a distance (viewed on a 1080p TV for reference), whereas they're a blown-out white with Mi4K on. Looking at it close-up also adds a very, very small amount of aliasing on fine diagonal edges because of the one-up/one-over nature of the Mi4K's single-pixel enhancement, I suppose it's there to mimic the finer pixel resolution of true 4K content.

Note that if you set Reality Creation off then the single-pixel checkerboards are completely greyed out. With RC on it DOES pass single-pixel detail, albeit at a slightly filtered frequency. (Get up close and you'll see it.) But with Mi4K on top, it exaggerates single-pixel beyond what it should actually be, and I've taken to leaving it off. (Though bear in mind that the B series doesn't even need RC on to get that single-pixel passthrough, so I also leave RC off now.) I may still enable RC/Mi4K for Sony's own Mi4K software, but I still can't figure out how they would've encoded their discs to take advantage of such processing. Special metadata my ass.
post #11832 of 12604 Old 08-21-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

post #11833 of 12604 Old 08-21-2014, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post
The Mastered in 4K option is selectable when showing a 1080p/24 signal. Most people recommend always leaving it on.

Where is this control? Are you talking about AUTO 24 in the Scene Selections? Thanks.

Last edited by acermen1212; 08-21-2014 at 10:23 PM.
post #11834 of 12604 Old 08-22-2014, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Okay guys, I've spent a few days twiddlin' and a' tweakin' with the 55" B series and here is the news: I like it a lot.

The 2D images are cleaner and sharper than on my 55" A, for three main reasons. One: the smearing blacks of the A series panel had a bigger effect on temporal resolution than I thought. Folks may remember me saying that there wasn't a lot of overt motion blur on my set, but compared to the B it was definitely missing that extra touch of motion clarity. Two: I think the visible line structure of the 540p passive FPR detail played its part, because it kind of 'dithered' the detail underneath, if that makes sense. (Obviously this isn't so much of an issue for the 65" A owners, and the same goes for the smearing blacks too because the 65" panel seemed to be much better in that regard.) Three: Sony have tweaked the high-frequency response so that it no longer needs to have Reality Creation enabled to pass single pixel detail. I think the Reality Creation processing is exceptional but at the end of the day it's exactly that: processing, and the less the image has the better it is, IMO. All in all the 2D picture quality is stunning.

I know some people have had a lot of trouble getting a set with decent backlight uniformity, and when got my one I was horrified to see a row of bleed along the top edge of the screen. It wasn't just blobs of light, oh no, it was like there was a series of little flashlights shaped like this /\ beaming down from the top. But that got me thinking....are these things showing up because something has been tightened too much internally? So I took off the back of the TV, as you do, and loosened several screws along the top of the panel. Cut to a couple of days later and I can still just see a small patch of bleed at the top left, but the blatant 'flashlights' seem to have gone. I couldn't have asked for a better DIY result than that!

3D is where it gets interesting. My main concern was the crosstalk on active Sony TVs, having seen it first hand on other sets I was dreading watching 3D on this TV. At first my worst fears were realised, as there was obvious crosstalk but as soon as I turned the MotionFlow off, the crosstalk all but disappeared. Great! But.....there are other issues. The strict shutter rate of the glasses causes heavy flicker in my peripheral vision, even with normal daylight. This was not a problem with the old-school Sony active glasses because they had that wrap-around design, but these 'open' type ones are not the best idea for active. Still, close the curtains or turn off the light and that's that problem solved.

Then there's the backlight being locked to maximum in 3D mode because of the light loss of the active shutters, which isn't a Bad Thing in and of itself but it reveals a huge patch of DSE that cuts right across the screen and can be quite distracting with shots that have a vertical tilt. (The DSE is virtually invisible in 2D because after calibration I only needed the backlight up at 2.) Another thing is that the active shutters create almost like a 'double motion' effect with certain speeds of movement. It's not crosstalk, it's more like the two separate images can't keep up with each other. Turning the MotionFlow to Smooth solves this problem, but it then generates the dreaded soap opera effect with 24p AND it ramps up the crosstalk, as I said above.

Here's the kicker with the 3D: it's not 1080p on the 55" B series either! I can only surmise that Sony has again made that compromise to create a wider viewing angle on the 'smaller' screen. Thankfully, this time around that compromise has not affected 2D viewing (no FPR lines) and Sony have made sure to put a proper low-pass filter in place, as diagonal edges have none of the distracting aliasing which plagued the 55" A series in 3D. I don't know whether it's 540 like before or perhaps something inbetween, because there are no 720-line 3D test materials on the S&M disc, only 540 and 1080. 540 is fine, 1080 is greyed out. Might see if I can download a pattern from somewhere and then force the simulated 3D, that should still show up the resolution.

Heck of it is, I still enjoy watching 3D on this set! I don't find active to be fatiguing and some of those issues I mentioned only appear under certain conditions. It's still less than 1080p unfortunately, but without the jaggies of the A series it's more satisfying and it's still got great depth and separation with minimal crosstalk.

Thanks for your detailed review of both sets Geoff, its by far the best comparison I've read. Glad to hear you're enjoying your new B series. Did you test the 4k over USB yet? If so, is the quality as good as the X1's 4k content? Thanks
post #11835 of 12604 Old 08-22-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
Where is this control? Are you talking about AUTO 24 in the Scene Selections? Thanks.
It is an option under Reality Creation.
post #11836 of 12604 Old 08-22-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Thanks for your detailed review of both sets Geoff, its by far the best comparison I've read. Glad to hear you're enjoying your new B series. Did you test the 4k over USB yet? If so, is the quality as good as the X1's 4k content? Thanks
I've not got an X1 so I can't comment on that. But I have demo'd a few 4K clips, and the ones that work over USB (the TV's very picky, I haven't got it to play any HEVC content yet) look unbelievably good.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #11837 of 12604 Old 08-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I use AJ settings for movies (bluray player) I twicked his settings a bit differently to my preference and use "custom" for my Dish hd receiver to watch sports mainly. I found they are similar but custom under general gives me a bit more pop for sports. By the way, just watched amazing spider man 2 in 3D and it looks better than I remember in the theaters! WOW! The bluray set is mastered in 4k as well so it actualy looked very close to 4k with the x9's fantastic upscaler. Some of the best 3D I've seen as well. A great buy
So you took Aj's settings from his pdf file, and used custom instead of cinema1 one, and made some tweaks?
What tweaks did you make under custom?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.

Last edited by bodean; 08-22-2014 at 11:14 AM.
post #11838 of 12604 Old 08-22-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The B is laid out a bit differently, there are more long metal strips along the top (which are attached to the actual frame of the panel) and some screws are facing up as well as out. I loosened all of those along the top which I could see.

And yes, as Lee said, there's lots of screws. That pic looked familiar!

It's not essential IMO. Folks may remember me saying that it's a single-pixel edge/contrast enhancer, one up and one over, mostly for luma than the chroma. It certainly makes the single-pixel test patterns stand out more, but it's overcooking them because they should look grey from a distance (viewed on a 1080p TV for reference), whereas they're a blown-out white with Mi4K on. Looking at it close-up also adds a very, very small amount of aliasing on fine diagonal edges because of the one-up/one-over nature of the Mi4K's single-pixel enhancement, I suppose it's there to mimic the finer pixel resolution of true 4K content.

Note that if you set Reality Creation off then the single-pixel checkerboards are completely greyed out. With RC on it DOES pass single-pixel detail, albeit at a slightly filtered frequency. (Get up close and you'll see it.) But with Mi4K on top, it exaggerates single-pixel beyond what it should actually be, and I've taken to leaving it off. (Though bear in mind that the B series doesn't even need RC on to get that single-pixel passthrough, so I also leave RC off now.) I may still enable RC/Mi4K for Sony's own Mi4K software, but I still can't figure out how they would've encoded their discs to take advantage of such processing. Special metadata my ass.

Thanks for your reply. Wish me luck I'm planning on trying it in the near future. I'm not too concerned about removing the panel and getting it back on. I was hardware tech on PC's, Large and small printers, copiers and faxes for the last 30yrs (Now Retired) I've been taking things apart and trying to fix them since I was a kid. Guess it's in my DNA, so taking it apart and getting it back together should not be a problem. I was just looking for some guidance on which screws you had success with to save trial and error time. I had not seen the inside of the 900B so I just figured it would be close to the same. Yes that back panel picture was copied from Lee's post a while back. Sorry for not giving him the credit for it. There are some other pics in post #9999 .
Thanks Again
CPTuell

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
post #11839 of 12604 Old 08-22-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
So you took Aj's settings from his pdf file, and used custom instead of cinema1 one, and made some tweaks?
What tweaks did you make under custom?
gamma to 0, warm1, color to 50, live color to low, backlight to 5, picture setting to 90, motionflow to standard. everything else is the same. Again, I did this for my dish receiver only. May not be accurate but it works for me
post #11840 of 12604 Old 08-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
gamma to 0, warm1, color to 50, live color to low, backlight to 5, picture setting to 90, motionflow to standard. everything else is the same. Again, I did this for my dish receiver only. May not be accurate but it works for me
Are you using Scene Select / Cinema? I switched to Scene Select / General,and notice a lot more pop in color.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #11841 of 12604 Old 08-22-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Strange that's you would say that you are using my settings, because other than Gamma=0, those setting are actually quite different than mine.
post #11842 of 12604 Old 08-22-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have two questions if anyone knows the answer.

1. What is the network speed capability of the 900a? 10/100 or 10/100/1000?
2. I have the VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 sound bar system (for now) There is no HDMI on it so TOSLINK (optical) is the best solution. I would prefer my ps3, DirectTV, and media server to play sound through it. Is there any CONS to hooking it up from the TOSLINK output of the 900a? Would I be better off unpluging and pluging in each device directly to the VIZIO S4251w-B4 instead? I have read that most TV's will downgrade the audio to PCM except for OTA and lose the LFE channel along with the discrete surround channels. I didn't know if the 900a did this when using a TOSLINK.

Last edited by eric_purdue; 08-22-2014 at 02:34 PM.
post #11843 of 12604 Old 08-22-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Strange that's you would say that you are using my settings, because other than Gamma=0, those setting are actually quite different than mine.
yes, very. lol backlight at 7 didn't work for my lighting conditions for the Dish signal as I find it too bright, specially with the light sensor set to off. I started with your settings as a starting point and made changes little by little to give sports a little more pop and less of the "film" like feeling that I use for movies.I know its totally inaccurate but I like the saturation color level on sports to be higher I guess I also changed from warm2 to warm1 and the gamma from -2 to 0. I left the tint like yours, white balance like yours, sharpness, resolution, manual instead of auto for Reality creator, etc like yours. My bluray player has your settings though as I find them perfect for bluray.
post #11844 of 12604 Old 08-22-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Are you using Scene Select / Cinema? I switched to Scene Select / General,and notice a lot more pop in color.
for my Dish, I use general and custom, for movies I use cinema1 with AJ's settings.
post #11845 of 12604 Old 08-23-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Still liking my 55X900A, but having the remorse I was warned about in not going bigger. Are there any deals around for the 65? I've been browsing, but most places have it close to $3000. My local Best Buy had a $2499 sale on it, which is decent, but being optimistic, I was hoping to knock a few hundred more off. Anyone have any luck?
post #11846 of 12604 Old 08-23-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo12 View Post
Still liking my 55X900A, but having the remorse I was warned about in not going bigger. Are there any deals around for the 65? I've been browsing, but most places have it close to $3000. My local Best Buy had a $2499 sale on it, which is decent, but being optimistic, I was hoping to knock a few hundred more off. Anyone have any luck?
Check hhgregg. If they have some they would match best buy and then some.
post #11847 of 12604 Old 08-23-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo12 View Post
900A inventory seems to be dwindling. The cheapest price I saw for a new 65" 900A was the Beach Camera deal for $2299. They flew through about 200 sets in ~12 hours on that sale. Judging by the amount of 900A's returned from the "panel lottery" I would say we should see some refurbished sets available for sell. Might be able to pick up a good deal then on a 65" if you don't mind refurbished.
post #11848 of 12604 Old 08-23-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
900A inventory seems to be dwindling. The cheapest price I saw for a new 65" 900A was the Beach Camera deal for $2299. They flew through about 200 sets in ~12 hours on that sale. Judging by the amount of 900A's returned from the "panel lottery" I would say we should see some refurbished sets available for sell. Might be able to pick up a good deal then on a 65" if you don't mind refurbished.
Which is actually a good thing. The issue the TV had was fixed, so it should be less of a lottery.
post #11849 of 12604 Old 08-23-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Which is actually a good thing. The issue the TV had was fixed, so it should be less of a lottery.

Which issue are you referring to that was fixed?

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
post #11850 of 12604 Old 08-23-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Which issue are you referring to that was fixed?
I just mean if there was a problem with the panel, a refurb probably fixed it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page