Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 397 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11881 of 11892 Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've read quite a few mixed reviews of the FMP-X10, I'm looking to pick one up new for $500 tonight. Just curious what peoples thoughts, experiences are that have had experiences both good and bad with it. I'm ok with the long download times, but I have a feeling I may not be crazy about spending the 30 per movie. I am looking into possibly getting some of the mastered in 4k movies with the understanding that it is just improved quality and less special features, but somewhat nicer (not true 4k and still blu-ray). Any thoughts or impressions are welcome. I've tried to download some videos via the 4k downloader app and it did not work on my 65x900A, but it did work on the 8550 samsung at BBY :/ Hoping to get some nice content to enjoy other than 1080P stuff upconverted (still quite a bit nicer imo than my Pioneer 6020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11882 of 11892 Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post
Anyone use the YouTube app frequently? Its so buggy lately.. so I just use the PS3 now. No point in having a smart TV if the apps are not worth using. Pandora seems to work ok, but I use YT a lot more for music streaming.
I used my youtube app on the X9 yesterday and it worked fine. I think youtube is just plagued with bugs from time to time on any device to be honest. Maybe try to refresh the internet content on your tv and see if that helps.
post #11883 of 11892 Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrzone View Post
I'm curious about this. I just got my 65 a few weeks ago and did the firmware update. When I plug my PS4 into HDMI 4, the picture will show, then blank out, then come back again every few seconds. I saw static sometimes too. Is the upgraded HDMI 4 not backwards compatible or maybe it's proprietary for the X players?

Also, when I'm playing any game that has fast motion (all of them), there is faint but noticeable vertical dark banding that runs the length of the screen but is more evident towards the middle. You can't see it when there's little motion, or generally in most other content but it's starting to drive me nuts when I game. I'm assuming the effect is due to the spacing between the LEDs but I'm not so sure that's a valid reason to excuse it. I've never owned a tv with this issue and this is the most expensive tv I've ever purchased. I guess I'll call Sony. I was really trying to avoid being too picky about this panel and getting obsessed over the "small stuff", but I game a lot and this is really hurting the experience. I don't know what Sony can do about it though and this particular panel doesn't seem to have any other issues. It's quite defect free except for the banding.

Separate topic, I know some of you have a Darblet, Flinchen and AJ I think? I'm curious to know what you think of the device. Does it really improve the PQ on any Full HD tv? And is it actually useful on the X9? Have you tried the tv with and without it? Aside from the banding I have, and the slow ghosting time of the LCD (another game killer) I just can't imagine an external device improving the PQ. But if it does really help, I'll buy one in a hot second.

I can't wait to see 4k on this set. I wonder when that day will come.
OK for starters the PS4 on HDMI 4 should not be blinking. Have you tried another HDMI port to rule out its not a buggered HDMI lead? I game a fair amount too and have not noticed anything like banding you are describing.

The Darblet which I have, I refused to add it in my chain because I felt I didn't want to have a processed picture. But having said that I decided to add it into the chain between my bluray player and AVR instead of the last chain Between the AVR and the TV. Why? as the Darblet doesn't do Audio Return Channel, and doesn't pass through a TRUE4k picture (If you have a 4k HTPC or Media Player).
However since the TV upscales to 4k after the darblet processing I can say its pretty damn good depending on how much pop you use. It really does enhance the picture. But purists may frown upon it.
post #11884 of 11892 Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Ice View Post
I've read quite a few mixed reviews of the FMP-X10, I'm looking to pick one up new for $500 tonight. Just curious what peoples thoughts, experiences are that have had experiences both good and bad with it. I'm ok with the long download times, but I have a feeling I may not be crazy about spending the 30 per movie. I am looking into possibly getting some of the mastered in 4k movies with the understanding that it is just improved quality and less special features, but somewhat nicer (not true 4k and still blu-ray). Any thoughts or impressions are welcome. I've tried to download some videos via the 4k downloader app and it did not work on my 65x900A, but it did work on the 8550 samsung at BBY :/ Hoping to get some nice content to enjoy other than 1080P stuff upconverted (still quite a bit nicer imo than my Pioneer 6020)
There is a dedicated thread for the X10, which you should review. I have owned the X1 as well as the X10, and I don't think either is worth the $500 price.
wase4711 likes this.
post #11885 of 11892 Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
There is a dedicated thread for the X10, which you should review. I have owned the X1 as well as the X10, and I don't think either is worth the $500 price.
Thanks! I had done some flipping through many pages in here and google....but didn't think search for a dedicated forum page
post #11886 of 11892 Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Which means it really, really isn't worth the $700 current price.
wase4711 likes this.
post #11887 of 11892 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Ice View Post
Thanks! I had done some flipping through many pages in here and google....but
didn't think search for a dedicated forum page
Sony FMP-X10 owners thread
post #11888 of 11892 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
Which means it really, really isn't worth the $700 current price.
Haha yea.... I'm struggling with that. I have a feeling I won't be picking it up and just deal with the 1080 upconvert
Mdjones9137 likes this.
post #11889 of 11892 Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 191
FYI, Netflix "play from the beginning" has returned on my X900a (and on X10 too.)

It was there on the TV until Feb or March then vanished.
post #11890 of 11892 Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
I used my youtube app on the X9 yesterday and it worked fine. I think youtube is just plagued with bugs from time to time on any device to be honest. Maybe try to refresh the internet content on your tv and see if that helps.
Good idea. My PS3 app seems to work better, but the convenience of the app on the TV is preferred. BTW, I'm still in 3d heaven . Who needs 4K, I've forgotten I needed it, lol.
Mdjones9137 likes this.
post #11891 of 11892 Old Today, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
OK for starters the PS4 on HDMI 4 should not be blinking. Have you tried another HDMI port to rule out its not a buggered HDMI lead? I game a fair amount too and have not noticed anything like banding you are describing.

The Darblet which I have, I refused to add it in my chain because I felt I didn't want to have a processed picture. But having said that I decided to add it into the chain between my bluray player and AVR instead of the last chain Between the AVR and the TV. Why? as the Darblet doesn't do Audio Return Channel, and doesn't pass through a TRUE4k picture (If you have a 4k HTPC or Media Player).
However since the TV upscales to 4k after the darblet processing I can say its pretty damn good depending on how much pop you use. It really does enhance the picture. But purists may frown upon it.
Thanks for the info. I've found that the dark banding is only noticeable in fast pans with grayish skies and I'm playing infamous which has a LOT of sky in it. The perfection of the picture may just be exacerbating be the problem because everything is so beautiful except for the minute blemish. It's definitely there in the game but I have a feeling I'm being a bit too sensitive. Has the motion blur in games bothered you at all?

Can anyone educated on the matter speak top how well this panel performs compared to a top end 1080p panel like the Samsung F8000? I'm still caught up on the ever present motion blur when playing games. Cinemotion on smooth helps tremendously but still isn't great, and of course introduces more lag. Impulse mode kills motion blur but I don't care for the flickering. My understanding is that the Sammy can resolve full 1080 motion which makes it ideal for gaming. I've considered swapping out for one but I wouldn't give up a fantastic picture for it. If full hd content looks similar on both panels but better motion resolution on the F8000 I may have to consider it.

I'm secretly hoping the Sammy doesn't stack up but the reviews and specs seem to point to it being a set with killer picture and great for gaming. I wouldn't mind giving up 4k for now to get a comparably good 1080 panel that resolves motion better for my gaming. Then jumping back on 4k when more content is available. I hate to give up this king of televisions, especially since I'm a "Sony Guy" but my games just have a lot more blur than my old hx800 set. I'm assuming it's the response time or processing needed to upscale 1080 then quickly move it around.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts out there who game quite a bit on this TV. Also, anyone who may have been looking at a comparable high end 1080 set. Is this panel something truly special or are 4k and passive 3d the "only" true benefits?
post #11892 of 11892 Old Today, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Patch Info is up

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG4.451AAA) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version PKG4.430AAA:

Improves the login function for the Skype® online calling service
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG4.451AAA:
Improves performance and stability of the Internet TV features
Improves stability of the Screen Mirroring function
Provides HDMI® 2.0 compatibility (Applies to 4K models only)
Supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit)
Improves stability of the sound output with a Blu-ray Disc™ player using an HDMI connection
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page