Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 397 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11881 of 12542 Old 08-26-2014, 12:49 AM
Member
 
zephyrzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
Yes thats exactly what I am asking. I think the majority of us early adopters (X900A) series wanted as promised to me looked after. I for one hope 2.2 doesn't become mainstream but Sony seem to be the ones at the forefront of it. So its appears to me to be a not a case of "IF" but "When" all the producers will adopt to use it. I for one would like to know that my TV is future proof in that instance. Hopefully it is but have know way of actually confirming it. For what its worth I am lead to believe HDMI 4 is the only one that supports it and it came with the upgrade board.
I'm curious about this. I just got my 65 a few weeks ago and did the firmware update. When I plug my PS4 into HDMI 4, the picture will show, then blank out, then come back again every few seconds. I saw static sometimes too. Is the upgraded HDMI 4 not backwards compatible or maybe it's proprietary for the X players?

Also, when I'm playing any game that has fast motion (all of them), there is faint but noticeable vertical dark banding that runs the length of the screen but is more evident towards the middle. You can't see it when there's little motion, or generally in most other content but it's starting to drive me nuts when I game. I'm assuming the effect is due to the spacing between the LEDs but I'm not so sure that's a valid reason to excuse it. I've never owned a tv with this issue and this is the most expensive tv I've ever purchased. I guess I'll call Sony. I was really trying to avoid being too picky about this panel and getting obsessed over the "small stuff", but I game a lot and this is really hurting the experience. I don't know what Sony can do about it though and this particular panel doesn't seem to have any other issues. It's quite defect free except for the banding.

Separate topic, I know some of you have a Darblet, Flinchen and AJ I think? I'm curious to know what you think of the device. Does it really improve the PQ on any Full HD tv? And is it actually useful on the X9? Have you tried the tv with and without it? Aside from the banding I have, and the slow ghosting time of the LCD (another game killer) I just can't imagine an external device improving the PQ. But if it does really help, I'll buy one in a hot second.

I can't wait to see 4k on this set. I wonder when that day will come.
zephyrzone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11882 of 12542 Old 08-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Senior Member
 
sdMCM66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hawaii... I wish
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Anyone use the YouTube app frequently? Its so buggy lately.. so I just use the PS3 now. No point in having a smart TV if the apps are not worth using. Pandora seems to work ok, but I use YT a lot more for music streaming.
sdMCM66 is offline  
post #11883 of 12542 Old 08-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Newbie
 
Alpha Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I've read quite a few mixed reviews of the FMP-X10, I'm looking to pick one up new for $500 tonight. Just curious what peoples thoughts, experiences are that have had experiences both good and bad with it. I'm ok with the long download times, but I have a feeling I may not be crazy about spending the 30 per movie. I am looking into possibly getting some of the mastered in 4k movies with the understanding that it is just improved quality and less special features, but somewhat nicer (not true 4k and still blu-ray). Any thoughts or impressions are welcome. I've tried to download some videos via the 4k downloader app and it did not work on my 65x900A, but it did work on the 8550 samsung at BBY :/ Hoping to get some nice content to enjoy other than 1080P stuff upconverted (still quite a bit nicer imo than my Pioneer 6020)
Alpha Ice is offline  
post #11884 of 12542 Old 08-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Senior Member
 
RiED27880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post
Anyone use the YouTube app frequently? Its so buggy lately.. so I just use the PS3 now. No point in having a smart TV if the apps are not worth using. Pandora seems to work ok, but I use YT a lot more for music streaming.
I used my youtube app on the X9 yesterday and it worked fine. I think youtube is just plagued with bugs from time to time on any device to be honest. Maybe try to refresh the internet content on your tv and see if that helps.
RiED27880 is online now  
post #11885 of 12542 Old 08-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Member
 
CSPerera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrzone View Post
I'm curious about this. I just got my 65 a few weeks ago and did the firmware update. When I plug my PS4 into HDMI 4, the picture will show, then blank out, then come back again every few seconds. I saw static sometimes too. Is the upgraded HDMI 4 not backwards compatible or maybe it's proprietary for the X players?

Also, when I'm playing any game that has fast motion (all of them), there is faint but noticeable vertical dark banding that runs the length of the screen but is more evident towards the middle. You can't see it when there's little motion, or generally in most other content but it's starting to drive me nuts when I game. I'm assuming the effect is due to the spacing between the LEDs but I'm not so sure that's a valid reason to excuse it. I've never owned a tv with this issue and this is the most expensive tv I've ever purchased. I guess I'll call Sony. I was really trying to avoid being too picky about this panel and getting obsessed over the "small stuff", but I game a lot and this is really hurting the experience. I don't know what Sony can do about it though and this particular panel doesn't seem to have any other issues. It's quite defect free except for the banding.

Separate topic, I know some of you have a Darblet, Flinchen and AJ I think? I'm curious to know what you think of the device. Does it really improve the PQ on any Full HD tv? And is it actually useful on the X9? Have you tried the tv with and without it? Aside from the banding I have, and the slow ghosting time of the LCD (another game killer) I just can't imagine an external device improving the PQ. But if it does really help, I'll buy one in a hot second.

I can't wait to see 4k on this set. I wonder when that day will come.
OK for starters the PS4 on HDMI 4 should not be blinking. Have you tried another HDMI port to rule out its not a buggered HDMI lead? I game a fair amount too and have not noticed anything like banding you are describing.

The Darblet which I have, I refused to add it in my chain because I felt I didn't want to have a processed picture. But having said that I decided to add it into the chain between my bluray player and AVR instead of the last chain Between the AVR and the TV. Why? as the Darblet doesn't do Audio Return Channel, and doesn't pass through a TRUE4k picture (If you have a 4k HTPC or Media Player).
However since the TV upscales to 4k after the darblet processing I can say its pretty damn good depending on how much pop you use. It really does enhance the picture. But purists may frown upon it.
CSPerera is offline  
post #11886 of 12542 Old 08-26-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,830
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Ice View Post
I've read quite a few mixed reviews of the FMP-X10, I'm looking to pick one up new for $500 tonight. Just curious what peoples thoughts, experiences are that have had experiences both good and bad with it. I'm ok with the long download times, but I have a feeling I may not be crazy about spending the 30 per movie. I am looking into possibly getting some of the mastered in 4k movies with the understanding that it is just improved quality and less special features, but somewhat nicer (not true 4k and still blu-ray). Any thoughts or impressions are welcome. I've tried to download some videos via the 4k downloader app and it did not work on my 65x900A, but it did work on the 8550 samsung at BBY :/ Hoping to get some nice content to enjoy other than 1080P stuff upconverted (still quite a bit nicer imo than my Pioneer 6020)
There is a dedicated thread for the X10, which you should review. I have owned the X1 as well as the X10, and I don't think either is worth the $500 price.
wase4711 likes this.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #11887 of 12542 Old 08-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Newbie
 
Alpha Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
There is a dedicated thread for the X10, which you should review. I have owned the X1 as well as the X10, and I don't think either is worth the $500 price.
Thanks! I had done some flipping through many pages in here and google....but didn't think search for a dedicated forum page
Alpha Ice is offline  
post #11888 of 12542 Old 08-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
There is a dedicated thread for the X10, which you should review. I have owned the X1 as well as the X10, and I don't think either is worth the $500 price.
Which means it really, really isn't worth the $700 current price.
wase4711 likes this.
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #11889 of 12542 Old 08-26-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,830
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Ice View Post
Thanks! I had done some flipping through many pages in here and google....but
didn't think search for a dedicated forum page
Sony FMP-X10 owners thread
AustinJerry is offline  
post #11890 of 12542 Old 08-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Newbie
 
Alpha Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
Which means it really, really isn't worth the $700 current price.
Haha yea.... I'm struggling with that. I have a feeling I won't be picking it up and just deal with the 1080 upconvert
Mdjones9137 likes this.
Alpha Ice is offline  
post #11891 of 12542 Old 08-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 209
FYI, Netflix "play from the beginning" has returned on my X900a (and on X10 too.)

It was there on the TV until Feb or March then vanished.
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #11892 of 12542 Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Senior Member
 
sdMCM66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hawaii... I wish
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
I used my youtube app on the X9 yesterday and it worked fine. I think youtube is just plagued with bugs from time to time on any device to be honest. Maybe try to refresh the internet content on your tv and see if that helps.
Good idea. My PS3 app seems to work better, but the convenience of the app on the TV is preferred. BTW, I'm still in 3d heaven . Who needs 4K, I've forgotten I needed it, lol.
RiED27880 and Mdjones9137 like this.
sdMCM66 is offline  
post #11893 of 12542 Old 08-27-2014, 01:39 AM
Member
 
zephyrzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
OK for starters the PS4 on HDMI 4 should not be blinking. Have you tried another HDMI port to rule out its not a buggered HDMI lead? I game a fair amount too and have not noticed anything like banding you are describing.

The Darblet which I have, I refused to add it in my chain because I felt I didn't want to have a processed picture. But having said that I decided to add it into the chain between my bluray player and AVR instead of the last chain Between the AVR and the TV. Why? as the Darblet doesn't do Audio Return Channel, and doesn't pass through a TRUE4k picture (If you have a 4k HTPC or Media Player).
However since the TV upscales to 4k after the darblet processing I can say its pretty damn good depending on how much pop you use. It really does enhance the picture. But purists may frown upon it.
Thanks for the info. I've found that the dark banding is only noticeable in fast pans with grayish skies and I'm playing infamous which has a LOT of sky in it. The perfection of the picture may just be exacerbating be the problem because everything is so beautiful except for the minute blemish. It's definitely there in the game but I have a feeling I'm being a bit too sensitive. Has the motion blur in games bothered you at all?

Can anyone educated on the matter speak top how well this panel performs compared to a top end 1080p panel like the Samsung F8000? I'm still caught up on the ever present motion blur when playing games. Cinemotion on smooth helps tremendously but still isn't great, and of course introduces more lag. Impulse mode kills motion blur but I don't care for the flickering. My understanding is that the Sammy can resolve full 1080 motion which makes it ideal for gaming. I've considered swapping out for one but I wouldn't give up a fantastic picture for it. If full hd content looks similar on both panels but better motion resolution on the F8000 I may have to consider it.

I'm secretly hoping the Sammy doesn't stack up but the reviews and specs seem to point to it being a set with killer picture and great for gaming. I wouldn't mind giving up 4k for now to get a comparably good 1080 panel that resolves motion better for my gaming. Then jumping back on 4k when more content is available. I hate to give up this king of televisions, especially since I'm a "Sony Guy" but my games just have a lot more blur than my old hx800 set. I'm assuming it's the response time or processing needed to upscale 1080 then quickly move it around.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts out there who game quite a bit on this TV. Also, anyone who may have been looking at a comparable high end 1080 set. Is this panel something truly special or are 4k and passive 3d the "only" true benefits?
zephyrzone is offline  
post #11894 of 12542 Old 08-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Member
 
eric_purdue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Patch Info is up

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG4.451AAA) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version PKG4.430AAA:

Improves the login function for the Skype® online calling service
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG4.451AAA:
Improves performance and stability of the Internet TV features
Improves stability of the Screen Mirroring function
Provides HDMI® 2.0 compatibility (Applies to 4K models only)
Supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit)
Improves stability of the sound output with a Blu-ray Disc™ player using an HDMI connection
eric_purdue is offline  
post #11895 of 12542 Old 08-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
bodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
for my Dish, I use general and custom, for movies I use cinema1 with AJ's settings.
Thanks. I just find it a pain to go through multiple steps to get to cinema1 when most of my viewing is on general. Wish there was a more efficient way =) Too bad my Harmony Ultimate hasn't solved this issue.
RiED27880 likes this.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
bodean is offline  
post #11896 of 12542 Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 PM
Member
 
CSPerera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I cant comment on motion blur to be honest as I have never experienced it on my set. Games look perfect to me and currently I have plenty of PS4 games as well as Xbox One's. I am not to sure if it has to do with being in a PAL region and a difference in refresh rates e.t.c
CSPerera is offline  
post #11897 of 12542 Old 08-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Member
 
solidFire501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Thanks. I just find it a pain to go through multiple steps to get to cinema1 when most of my viewing is on general. Wish there was a more efficient way =) Too bad my Harmony Ultimate hasn't solved this issue.
Have you tried experimenting with the auto scene select setting? There is a setting that will automatically switch the picture to cinema mode when a 24 frames per second signal is detected. I have my TV set like this, and it always switches to AustinJerry's settings automatically when I play a movie. Have not noticed it changing the scene automatically under any other situation, so it mostly sits in a general setting otherwise. This setting might get you what you need.
solidFire501 is offline  
post #11898 of 12542 Old 08-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Member
 
eric_purdue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone know what the speed of the network adapter is for the 900a? 10/100 or 10/100/1000?
eric_purdue is offline  
post #11899 of 12542 Old 08-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
RiED27880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdMCM66 View Post
Good idea. My PS3 app seems to work better, but the convenience of the app on the TV is preferred. BTW, I'm still in 3d heaven . Who needs 4K, I've forgotten I needed it, lol.
I'll tell you what, 3D sure makes waiting on a 4k streaming devices that much easier I'm in no rush! lol Love this set!!!!
RiED27880 is online now  
post #11900 of 12542 Old 08-27-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 1,060
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Anyone notice how nice blues are on this set? (65XBR900A). I've noticed that dark and subtle shades of blue are really nicely rendered on the Sony, compared to my pretty decent 3 year old Samsung in the other room.

I gave up on Warm-2 on mine. It just looks sickly blue green in greyscale. I went to Warm 1 and just dialed out some of the blueness to eyeball-match my Macbook Pro Retina that's been calibrated at D65. It seems like starting there, I'm able to get a more consistent greyscale from dark to light.

I have a XRite I-Display-Pro 3 on the way for a more accurate calibration.

nuke
nuke is online now  
post #11901 of 12542 Old 08-27-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,830
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post

I have a XRite I-Display-Pro 3 on the way for a more accurate calibration.
It will be interesting the see what you measure. On my set, Warm2 measures almost exactly 6500K, which is the target value for a properly-calibrated set. Warm1 is closer to 9000, which emphasizes Blue, perhaps why you think the blue colors are so pleasing. What will also be interesting is what color temp you decide to stick with after you find out which is more accurate.
Geoff D likes this.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #11902 of 12542 Old 08-27-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 1,060
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
It will be interesting the see what you measure. On my set, Warm2 measures almost exactly 6500K, which is the target value for a properly-calibrated set. Warm1 is closer to 9000, which emphasizes Blue, perhaps why you think the blue colors are so pleasing. What will also be interesting is what color temp you decide to stick with after you find out which is more accurate.
I'm curious too. I'm surrounded by calibrated computer monitors all day at work and the IT group at work calibrated my MBP-retina. The sammy that I've been watching the last few years has been set on it's warm setting all that time and produces a pretty decent looking warm grey. Prior to that, had a professionally calibrated Panny plasma as the main TV. So, I'm pretty used to D65 monitor set points. I work closely with some design folks who have real deal professional proofing tables and light boxes.

I totally agree that Warm 1 is quite blue on the XBR65900A. But Warm 2 on my particular set has got to be way, way off. I'm only eyeballing (indeed inaccurate), but side by side to a known D65 grey scale screen, warm 2 is very green/blue. In order to dial in a white point that is visibly similar, I wind up subtracting a lot of green, which seems to throw off the greyscale steps with visible color shifting across the luminance step bars. I finally gave up on Warm 2, switched to Warm 1 and simply reduced the amount of blue so that side by side, it is comparable to the calibrated MBP Retina screen. It appears to be more consistent across the grey step bars.

I tried your last posted settings and the white balance on my set seems to be quite different. The rest seems good.

My trusty blue filter from my old Avia DVD says the color/hue is likely just about spot on using the AVS forum blue-ray disk I burned. (yeah, I know about blue filters ;-) )

We'll see when I get I-Display Pro 3 pointed at it.

nuke
nuke is online now  
post #11903 of 12542 Old 08-28-2014, 07:28 AM
Newbie
 
Hybris69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a short heads up, I just received the German Steelbook of Noah in 3D: All three discs (2D, 3D and Bonus) are codefree and English friendly. Checked them on my Code A Sony Blu-ray...
Hybris69 is offline  
post #11904 of 12542 Old 08-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Member
 
ubermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, I have been searching for a while but have not been able to find the contact info for Sony regarding the HDMI board upgrade on my 65x900a the set has a manufacture date of 3/2013 and says it was made in Japan. I bought it as an open box item from Nebraska Furniture Mart and was told it was not updated for any of the 4k material that has come out recently. And as I understand most TV's made before 05/2013 were ones that possibly needed the upgrade? I have the latest firmware 4.451AAA installed and use a HTPC with the set and my video card is 4k capable but I have been unable to get any movies to play in or even upscale to 4k. I am also using the Redmere HDMI cables from monoprice. Pressing "Display" on the remote always shows either 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 depending on if I am gaming or watching a movie. Don't really care about gaming at 4k but it would be nice to watch movies at the higher resolutions. I use JRmedia center 19 if that helps. Also is it worth spending the money on the sony 4k media player? Its either get the media player at this point or a PS4 budget isn't allowing for both. Thank you for any help!
ubermeister is offline  
post #11905 of 12542 Old 08-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Newbie
 
Alpha Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermeister View Post
Hey everyone, I have been searching for a while but have not been able to find the contact info for Sony regarding the HDMI board upgrade on my 65x900a the set has a manufacture date of 3/2013 and says it was made in Japan. I bought it as an open box item from Nebraska Furniture Mart and was told it was not updated for any of the 4k material that has come out recently. And as I understand most TV's made before 05/2013 were ones that possibly needed the upgrade? I have the latest firmware 4.451AAA installed and use a HTPC with the set and my video card is 4k capable but I have been unable to get any movies to play in or even upscale to 4k. I am also using the Redmere HDMI cables from monoprice. Pressing "Display" on the remote always shows either 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 depending on if I am gaming or watching a movie. Don't really care about gaming at 4k but it would be nice to watch movies at the higher resolutions. I use JRmedia center 19 if that helps. Also is it worth spending the money on the sony 4k media player? Its either get the media player at this point or a PS4 budget isn't allowing for both. Thank you for any help!
I kept trying a few times to get USB content to play from 4kdownloader.com, I haven't tried converting them to H.264 in 4k mode (They were the downloaded ones from youtube and although compressed, looked good on the 8550 Samsung 2014 model, I'm still trying to get it to work on my Sony x900A) I did end up purchasing the FMP-X10 last night, against some other's thoughts and some mixed reviews from friends who work at BB....Truth be told the 1080P content did look good. I was trying to download Spiderman while trying to stream Netflix and I could only get up to 1080P on 30Mbps with Charter. I have been happy with it so far, the menu system seems to work well, but I haven't watched too much 4K. I am very anxious to stream some high quality content....Hopefully when I'm not downloading and streaming I can get full 4K.

I did a lot of searching for forums on here the last day before I purchased it, has anyone gotten 4k content to stream with the USB and the updated package? Am I doing something wrong with using the 4k downloader? Worst case I can hook up a mac mini and stream from that, but would be ideal to not have to move it.
Alpha Ice is offline  
post #11906 of 12542 Old 08-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
TweakerInWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 105
The X Games LA footage located in the sports section on the X10 looks phenomenal IMO. It's also preloaded on the HDD, so no need to download. Just some decent eye candy. .

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
TweakerInWA is offline  
post #11907 of 12542 Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Member
 
Reyfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Roseville CA
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Ice View Post
I kept trying a few times to get USB content to play from 4kdownloader.com, I haven't tried converting them to H.264 in 4k mode (They were the downloaded ones from youtube and although compressed, looked good on the 8550 Samsung 2014 model, I'm still trying to get it to work on my Sony x900A) I did end up purchasing the FMP-X10 last night, against some other's thoughts and some mixed reviews from friends who work at BB....Truth be told the 1080P content did look good. I was trying to download Spiderman while trying to stream Netflix and I could only get up to 1080P on 30Mbps with Charter. I have been happy with it so far, the menu system seems to work well, but I haven't watched too much 4K. I am very anxious to stream some high quality content....Hopefully when I'm not downloading and streaming I can get full 4K.

I did a lot of searching for forums on here the last day before I purchased it, has anyone gotten 4k content to stream with the USB and the updated package? Am I doing something wrong with using the 4k downloader? Worst case I can hook up a mac mini and stream from that, but would be ideal to not have to move it.
I was able to save the 4K files in the MP4 format onto a flash drive and play them through the FMP-X10 this also works well with a USB external Hard Drive.
Reyfam is offline  
post #11908 of 12542 Old 08-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Newbie
 
Alpha Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyfam View Post
I was able to save the 4K files in the MP4 format onto a flash drive and play them through the FMP-X10 this also works well with a USB external Hard Drive.
I tried to play the same files through the FMP-X10 this morning and it looked like it was going to load and then failed to do anything. I assumed it would for sure play through the X10. I will have to see if I encode it if it works better. I will also attempt to format the drive and see if it works better. Thanks for the feedback!
Alpha Ice is offline  
post #11909 of 12542 Old 08-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Member
 
CJ4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Any of you guys had an issue with your USB and opening files? Everytime I open a folder now it freezes and restarts my TV.

EDIT: And there was a blinking red light. Red is never good....
CJ4life is offline  
post #11910 of 12542 Old 08-28-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 1,060
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermeister View Post
Hey everyone, I have been searching for a while but have not been able to find the contact info for Sony regarding the HDMI board upgrade on my 65x900a the set has a manufacture date of 3/2013 and says it was made in Japan. I bought it as an open box item from Nebraska Furniture Mart and was told it was not updated for any of the 4k material that has come out recently. And as I understand most TV's made before 05/2013 were ones that possibly needed the upgrade? I have the latest firmware 4.451AAA installed and use a HTPC with the set and my video card is 4k capable but I have been unable to get any movies to play in or even upscale to 4k. I am also using the Redmere HDMI cables from monoprice. Pressing "Display" on the remote always shows either 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 depending on if I am gaming or watching a movie. Don't really care about gaming at 4k but it would be nice to watch movies at the higher resolutions. I use JRmedia center 19 if that helps. Also is it worth spending the money on the sony 4k media player? Its either get the media player at this point or a PS4 budget isn't allowing for both. Thank you for any help!

Whatever you do, get Sony to update HDMI input #4 with the board change. Without it, your set will not have HDCP 2.2, which is going to be required for any kind of 4K playback on the set. Like always, they care more about copy protection than anything else.

I sprung for the FMPX10, which for the most part appears to work well. It is the only certain method of getting any kind of 4k playback on the 900A series televisions.

Go here:

https://www.4kactivation.com/index.cfm

Select the checkbox that you have your media player and see about scheduling the board update.

nuke
nuke is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off