Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
First ... 38  39  40 41  42  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
gadgeTTmini's Avatar gadgeTTmini 08:52 AM 08-25-2013
I know those of us who bought this TV already are on the "bleeding edge" and price drops are to be expected for any tech like this, but a $1500 price drop in 90 days is a tad excessive. I love my TV but a price drop this big, this soon makes me question buying any new tech from Sony again. $500 in 6 months would be a big fast drop, but this is way too much too soon.

Chise's Avatar Chise 09:45 AM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgeTTmini View Post

I know those of us who bought this TV already are on the "bleeding edge" and price drops are to be expected for any tech like this, but a $1500 price drop in 90 days is a tad excessive. I love my TV but a price drop this big, this soon makes me question buying any new tech from Sony again. $500 in 6 months would be a big fast drop, but this is way too much too soon.
Well told folks on this forum to wait,this happens everytime a new technology comes out,i knew going to happen and it will drop so more too.
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 09:46 AM 08-25-2013
I don't know what you could do other than contact Sony and express that sentiment to them.

Manufacturers always have the upper hand in pricing. We were in on a $4500 car manufacturers rebate, and the next month the incentive wasn't being offered anymore.
Hawkmoon's Avatar Hawkmoon 11:33 AM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post

It looks like they should show up in October according to the article on HD Guru.
http://hdguru.com/sony-to-slash-its-ultra-hdtv-prices/#more-11191

Thanks. For some reason, I thought they would be out a bit sooner than October. Still debating on if Ishould go for it or not. The dumbo ears don't bother me too much and I have the room for the 65" one....I am buying it for use with a computer for gaming as well as Xbox One/PS4 and lastly for blu ray/cable. Just want the best set that would give me the best IQ as possible. The extra pixels and the fact that it upscales the image is what it intriguing me the most, but have not heard a lot of feedback from owners of the set that are also gamers.
iraqgsm's Avatar iraqgsm 11:55 AM 08-25-2013
any advice on the lag . thanks
BrianMundt's Avatar BrianMundt 02:35 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgsm View Post

any advice on the lag please for video games as I read all the 40 pages any idea, and regarding screen size I got 9-10 ft viewing distance should I go with 55 or 65 as I saved enough money for 55 but I think I can afford the 65 after this price drop. thanks

Input lag has been measured at 32ms, which is decent for gaming. While that's not an industry-leading figure by any stretch, it's right there in the middle of the pack.

I don't think anyone ever purchased a larger TV and regretted it. At this resolution, the bigger the better. You're going to notice a more significant difference between sizes with 4K than for HD.
burts's Avatar burts 04:09 PM 08-25-2013
I guess all sears tvs need a sony tech to come out, I bet its just old stock since I live on maui. So if I get a tv should I have them come out even if im not getting the media server?
BrianMundt's Avatar BrianMundt 05:41 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

I guess all sears tvs need a sony tech to come out, I bet its just old stock since I live on maui. So if I get a tv should I have them come out even if im not getting the media server?

Don't have them come out if you're not getting the server. There's no need, as the HDCP 2.2 doesn't serve any other immediate purpose. Without the server, you're better off waiting for an HDMI 2.0 replacement board. No sense in having your TV go under the knife twice.
Hawkmoon's Avatar Hawkmoon 05:59 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

Input lag has been measured at 32ms, which is decent for gaming. While that's not an industry-leading figure by any stretch, it's right there in the middle of the pack.

I don't think anyone ever purchased a larger TV and regretted it. At this resolution, the bigger the better. You're going to notice a more significant difference between sizes with 4K than for HD.

Thanks, I have not heard about the Input Lag as well. Is the 32ms in the game mode? Many of the recent Sony T.V.'s have had outstanding input lag numbers, especially the 900a (non 4k set).
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 06:42 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:

Don't have them come out if you're not getting the server. There's no need, as the HDCP 2.2 doesn't serve any other immediate purpose. Without the server, you're better off waiting for an HDMI 2.0 replacement board. No sense in having your TV go under the knife twice.

I don't think they'd even schedule a service call unless you were purchasing the X1.

Sony forum also mentioned model of player due soon to replace Dell for 84" 4K's.

Later this summer, Sony will launch Video Unlimited 4K, a service that will allow an ever-growing library of 4K content to be viewed in the home. At that launch, Sony will also announce a 4K media player solution compatible with the XBR-84X900 that will replace the existing 4K media player delivered with the XBR-84X900.
BrianMundt's Avatar BrianMundt 07:21 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

Thanks, I have not heard about the Input Lag as well. Is the 32ms in the game mode? Many of the recent Sony T.V.'s have had outstanding input lag numbers, especially the 900a (non 4k set).

Yep, the 32ms is in game mode. Out of game mode, in the "Cinema" preset, the lag was measured to be in the 150ms range.

Honestly, I think the 32ms is pretty outstanding, considering the processing the TV is doing. I think it'll be quite some time before 4K sets can get down to the 10ms that Sony was achieving with their most recent 1080p sets.
Hawkmoon's Avatar Hawkmoon 07:22 PM 08-25-2013
I am sure I read this somewhere in this thread, but cannot find it at the moment. But I thought that the 4k sets come with a coupon or voucher to get a discount on the media player? Is this still the case?
LeeSoFl's Avatar LeeSoFl 07:34 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:

I am sure I read this somewhere in this thread, but cannot find it at the moment. But I thought that the 4k sets come with a coupon or voucher to get a discount on the media player? Is this still the case?

I see the $200 offer if you bundle it from Sony store/online. I'm not sure the stand alone offer is still on. The 4kactivation.com site is still there, so it's possible.

If Sony really wanted to keep the interest high in the entertainment network for 4K, they'd try to get the X1 player into as many owner's hands as possible.
Hawkmoon's Avatar Hawkmoon 08:56 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

I see the $200 offer if you bundle it from Sony store/online. I'm not sure the stand alone offer is still on. The 4kactivation.com site is still there, so it's possible.

If Sony really wanted to keep the interest high in the entertainment network for 4K, they'd try to get the X1 player into as many owner's hands as possible.

Thanks. Just noticed it on Best Buys Website as well. When you bundle the media player and one of the sets they knock off $200.00.

If I decide to get one of these sets is there any way to know ahead of time if it comes with the fix to use the media player? Do they mark the outside of the box or something indicating it has the fix?

Thanks!
Speakerphile's Avatar Speakerphile 09:02 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:

Thanks. Just noticed it on Best Buys Website as well. When you bundle the media player and one of the sets they knock off $200.00.

If I decide to get one of these sets is there any way to know ahead of time if it comes with the fix to use the media player? Do they mark the outside of the box or something indicating it has the fix?

Thanks!

Best Buy's inventory should already have the fix. They replaced all backstock with upgraded inventory about a month ago.
Hawkmoon's Avatar Hawkmoon 09:38 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Best Buy's inventory should already have the fix. They replaced all backstock with upgraded inventory about a month ago.

Very cool if that is the case. So if I decide to get this set and the media player it should be just a plug n play situation like any other device correct?

Thanks again for the reply. Much appreciated! smile.gif
burts's Avatar burts 01:04 AM 08-26-2013
Can someone tell me how much bigger and better a 55x900a will be over my 2006 beloved 46xbr2.

I paid premium about $4300 with tax back in 06 and my tv is still going strong. Should I just keep it or upgrade?
BrianMundt's Avatar BrianMundt 01:13 AM 08-26-2013
Quote:

Can someone tell me how much bigger and better a 55x900a will be over my 2006 beloved 46xbr2.

I paid premium about $4300 with tax back in 06 and my tv is still going strong. Should I just keep it or upgrade?

That's such a personal decision, I doubt anyone here will be able to give you a definitive yes or no. Are you still happy with the 46XBR2? If you are, then maybe you should wait until 4K sets come down in price? It doesn't sound like you're in a huge rush. If you've got the "upgrade itch," then pull the trigger. I'm sure it'll exceed the performance of a seven-year-old TV.
PAo_ReVoLT's Avatar PAo_ReVoLT 01:47 AM 08-26-2013
Anyone has an idea how do i connect these to my HTPC?
jimmyg's Avatar jimmyg 07:57 AM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAo_ReVoLT View Post

Anyone has an idea how do i connect these to my HTPC?

I have my Sony 65" 4K connected via a single HDMI cable to my HTPC which has an Intel Haswell Core i7 and is using the onboard Intel HD 4600 graphics to drive 3840x2160 @ 30Hz. This is my primary 4K playback device, with the limited 4K content I have access to. It is also my 1080p 3D Blu-ray player as this chipset supports outputting 1080p 3D.
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 08:16 AM 08-26-2013
Quote:

I have an XBR4, which has similar technology to your XBR2. When LED technology replaced LCD, the improvement was noticeable. I replaced the XBR4 with an XBR52-HX909 LED with local dimming. The immediate and noticeable difference was the black level. And, of course, the newer TV had network features not present on the XBR4.

So, IMHO the technology advances since your XBR2 have been so significant, especially now with Ultra HD, that you wouldn't miss the XBR2 for long. Or you could do what I did when I purchased the HX909--move the older TV to the bedroom.

I tend to be an early technology adopter, so when the new speaker-less Sony models come out in October, I'll be making a purchase and moving the HX909 to the bedroom. Anyone want to buy an XBR4 in excellent shape?
BillJulyan's Avatar BillJulyan 09:11 AM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I have an XBR4, which has similar technology to your XBR2. When LED technology replaced LCD, the improvement was noticeable. I replaced the XBR4 with an XBR52-HX909 LED with local dimming. The immediate and noticeable difference was the black level. And, of course, the newer TV had network features not present on the XBR4.

So, IMHO the technology advances since your XBR2 have been so significant, especially now with Ultra HD, that you wouldn't miss the XBR2 for long. Or you could do what I did when I purchased the HX909--move the older TV to the bedroom.

I tend to be an early technology adopter, so when the new speaker-less Sony models come out in October, I'll be making a purchase and moving the HX909 to the bedroom. Anyone want to buy an XBR4 in excellent shape?

Quote:

I tried to replace an XBR2 with an XBR9 and discovered it was not an improvement. Fortunately, the XBR2 found a good home with my daughter, although I eventually replaced the XBR9 with an XBR8.
The XBR4 was also an excellent model. Subsequent Sony models were not necessarily as good as the XBR4.
Yes, the HX909 (I have one) is better than the XBR2 and XBR4, but you can't count on a new model being better just because it is more recent. I have been hesitant to get the new XBR __X900A because I'm afraid I will be discover that, for normal 2D 1080 programming, it won't be as good as my HX909. It might be, but I've been disappointed before doing upgrades from one Sony XBR to another.
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 09:42 AM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgeTTmini View Post

Yes they sure did take a nice price drop. On the dealer end the cost cut is not big as what buyers see though.
PAo_ReVoLT's Avatar PAo_ReVoLT 11:57 AM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post

I have my Sony 65" 4K connected via a single HDMI cable to my HTPC which has an Intel Haswell Core i7 and is using the onboard Intel HD 4600 graphics to drive 3840x2160 @ 30Hz. This is my primary 4K playback device, with the limited 4K content I have access to. It is also my 1080p 3D Blu-ray player as this chipset supports outputting 1080p 3D.

Can it do more than 30hz? What is the problem? GPU, TV or Interface?

Thanks
trab37's Avatar trab37 12:22 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAo_ReVoLT View Post

Can it do more than 30hz? What is the problem? GPU, TV or Interface?

Thanks

The current HDMI spec is the limitation. HDMI 2.0 will offer higher rates.
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 03:05 PM 08-26-2013
I don't see a lot of discussion in this thread about settings and calibrations. Has anyone had the set professionally calibrated? Has anyone performed their own calibration using, for example, CalMan? Is anyone willing to post their settings and comment on before and after PQ?
Chise's Avatar Chise 03:14 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:

That's such a personal decision, I doubt anyone here will be able to give you a definitive yes or no. Are you still happy with the 46XBR2? If you are, then maybe you should wait until 4K sets come down in price? It doesn't sound like you're in a huge rush. If you've got the "upgrade itch," then pull the trigger. I'm sure it'll exceed the performance of a seven-year-old TV.
Brian did you get email on HDguru this morning,read what editor said.
BrianMundt's Avatar BrianMundt 04:38 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

Brian did you get email on HDguru this morning,read what editor said.

Are you talking about the Samsung price drop?
Chise's Avatar Chise 04:40 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:

Are you talking about the Samsung price drop?
Read the last paragraph
burts's Avatar burts 04:43 PM 08-26-2013
I bought one...55 inch its still in the bed of my truck...I guess I should do a firmware upgrade wirelessly before using it huh? Maybe ill plug it in still in the packing box and upgrade it
Tags: Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
First ... 38  39  40 41  42  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop